Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi: a really big, jarring plot hole that only a few noticed.

Erased
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 24, 2016 6:09 PM

Mar 2015
Dreaded_One said:
MightyM16 said:
I'd rather bring the point of the extreme convenience that led to that situation in the first place as whole, I mean whoa, the killer from 17 years ago kidnapping kids on teh same supermarket Satoru and his mother were buying things? The killer managing to recognize the mom and take her as a threat ? And so on...

Plot hole or not, the first episode already showed signs of how contrived this series would become

Cmon its a plot device, also his mother looked exactly the same.

Exactly, this series had a lot of open, textbook plot devices who seemed forced as if only there conditioned for the story to move, none of it felt natural at least for me

it felt like bad writing
Mar 24, 2016 6:12 PM

Jul 2015
MightyM16 said:
Dreaded_One said:

Exactly, this series had a lot of open, textbook plot devices who seemed forced as if only there conditioned for the story to move, none of it felt natural at least for me

it felt like bad writing

And yet people rate it 10/10
Mar 24, 2016 6:15 PM

Jan 2015
MightyM16 said:
Dreaded_One said:

it felt like bad writing

Lol that type of plot device is used in literally every single anime/show that's ever made.

"Why does anything happen?" Right place at the right time.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Mar 24, 2016 6:16 PM
Mar 2013
VonSeckendorff said:
Don't get me wrong, I started watching this anime with the hightest expectations. But in the end, it fell short and I feel sorta 'betrayed', just like I felt after watching Zankyou no Terror for instance - even tho ZnT is far worse in my opinion. I don't hate it tho, I ranked it 8/10 in my list (I consider lowering it to 7/10, but maybe I'll just leave it like that).

Kids that behave like adults, an extremely obvious 'killer reveal', the pacing of the series became rushed and generally unpleasant after Kayo's arc and the villain's motivations are extremely shallow. Some people say that the mechanics and originis of the time travel thing are the main plot hole, being left unresolved, but for me there's one even big plot hole:

If Satoru's confrontation with Yashiro only happened in the last timeline, and Yashiro apparently didn't know about Satoru's powers then, why on Earth was he stalking Satoru and his mother in the original timeline? It makes no sense to me because in the first timeline, where Satoru never saved his friends, there wouldn't be any reasons for Yashiro to become obsessed with him and to act upon revenge in the first place. If he wanted to kill Satoru, he could've killed him as a child, without any complications.

I thought about the possibility of him somehow discovering that Satoru's mother figured out he was the killer, but again, there would be no logical means through which he could've become aware of her intentions of exposing the truth to the public. The show hinted at the possibility of him being related to that one news editor from the past, but nothing came out of it.

Anyway, what do you guys think of it?

As some others did. Yashiro was doing his kidnapping shit in the first episode, Sataro's mom was investigating the case if you remember. And also remember her friend had a list of suspects of the old case. His mom recognized the teacher, and yknow shes smart. Pretty sure Yashiro recognized who he was too. Thats why he killed Sachiko, she saw an attempted kidnapping, and probably recognized who he was.
Mar 24, 2016 6:16 PM

Dec 2007
VonSeckendorff said:
If Satoru's confrontation with Yashiro only happened in the last timeline, and Yashiro apparently didn't know about Satoru's powers then, why on Earth was he stalking Satoru and his mother in the original timeline? It makes no sense to me because in the first timeline, where Satoru never saved his friends, there wouldn't be any reasons for Yashiro to become obsessed with him and to act upon revenge in the first place. If he wanted to kill Satoru, he could've killed him as a child, without any complications.

I thought about the possibility of him somehow discovering that Satoru's mother figured out he was the killer, but again, there would be no logical means through which he could've become aware of her intentions of exposing the truth to the public. The show hinted at the possibility of him being related to that one news editor from the past, but nothing came out of it.

Yashiro was killing people because he can see a spider web string on people's head and he believed that it was his job to end those people. It's possible Satoru and his mother became his targets because they had that.
Mar 24, 2016 6:27 PM

Mar 2015
bobzanny said:
MightyM16 said:

it felt like bad writing

Lol that type of plot device is used in literally every single anime/show that's ever made.

You're making a generalization, since not every development in a story is a forced plot device especially when the story has it's fair share of good writing, but anyway it isn't a matter of use, some good stories will end up having their fair share of forced plot devices here and there, what is a matter is the frequency of it's use and Erased pratically abused it, the Revival power is the biggest offender of them all

terminador_2397 said:
MightyM16 said:

it felt like bad writing

I don't understand them but I can't blame them, maybe they are seeing something in the series that I'm not seeing it? Maybe they're just able to brush past the series multiple flaws and enjoy the story?

I agree that it doesn't deserves 10/10 but ultimately each person will end up rating based on their own enjoyment and feelings
Mar 24, 2016 6:32 PM

Jan 2015
MightyM16 said:
bobzanny said:

You're making a generalization, since not every development in a story is a forced plot device especially when the story has it's fair share of good writing, but anyway it isn't a matter of use, some good stories will end up having their fair share of forced plot devices here and there, what is a matter is the frequency of it's use and Erased pratically abused it, the Revival power is the biggest offender of them all

terminador_2397 said:

I don't understand them but I can't blame them, maybe they are seeing something in the series that I'm not seeing it? Maybe they're just able to brush past the series multiple flaws and enjoy the story?

I agree that it doesn't deserves 10/10 but ultimately each person will end up rating based on their own enjoyment and feelings

I agree that the writing got sloppy during the latter part of the series, I was making the argument for the plot device of Yashiro getting caught in one of Satoru's loops during episode 1 since every series has a moment like that.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Mar 24, 2016 6:34 PM

May 2010
There are 2 main points why Yashiro would have killed Sachiko.
1. Sachiko noticed something suspicious of Yashiro in episode 1 when he looked over at her.
2. Sachiko had the spider thread on her head (don't know if it was before he drove away in the car or only afterwards). But he kills people with the spider thread so that's all there is to it, regardless of any suspicion of Sachiko.
Mar 24, 2016 6:42 PM

Oct 2014
VonSeckendorff said:

In the first episode Fujinuma Mama figured out he was the Killer as he was trying to kidnap a girl.
It was more detailed in the manga yeah.
Mar 24, 2016 6:42 PM

Mar 2015
bobzanny said:
MightyM16 said:

I agree that the writing got sloppy during the latter part of the series, I was making the argument for the plot device of Yashiro getting caught in one of Satoru's loops during episode 1 since every series has a moment like that.

well the problem isn't that moment especifically but how it foreshadows and adds to the whole other plethora of forced plot devices in the series
Mar 24, 2016 6:43 PM
Mar 2016
Protaku said:

Because he didn't want to be caught red handed charting off a little girl to god knows where while someone has already noticed him doing it. Yashiro worries that Sachiko not only noticed his attempted crime but that she recognized him under his disguise, so he decided to stalk and kill her before she draws any conclusions. Keep in mind that Yashiro was already a suspect in Kayo's death before, so if authorities charged him with that attempted abduction, it would not be hard to tie him back to all the murders that happened in the past -- so even more reason to kill Sachiko.

but kayo's case already close with yuuki as suspect right?
and I think investigate is not something that normal people do everyday

it's weird to see why sachiko take risk by playing role as police by catching the murderer
I mean she can't take care herself by doing simple stuff (locking the door)
testamentKAISER said:

In the original timeline, that girl died, Mom saw sensei leading the girl to his car, and then many years later, when Satoru told his mom to check for something or anything, she noticed or atleast recognize sensei, something clicked, told her friend then she died.

thanks, but if she noticed sensei back there, then why not suspecting himi in the first place
I don't think police so stupid there
Alne said:
thought it had to do with those stupid spiderwebs.

lets blame doflamingo
Mar 24, 2016 6:48 PM

Jun 2015
Didn't she spot him trying to abduct a child?
He probably recognised her, so he decided to kill her, especially given her connections to the news. It could have been too risky to let her live. I don't see how that's a plot hole. Is it good writing? Not really, but a plot hole it is not (at least in my opinion).
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Mar 24, 2016 6:59 PM

Dec 2014
sychev said:
Protaku said:

Because he didn't want to be caught red handed charting off a little girl to god knows where while someone has already noticed him doing it. Yashiro worries that Sachiko not only noticed his attempted crime but that she recognized him under his disguise, so he decided to stalk and kill her before she draws any conclusions. Keep in mind that Yashiro was already a suspect in Kayo's death before, so if authorities charged him with that attempted abduction, it would not be hard to tie him back to all the murders that happened in the past -- so even more reason to kill Sachiko.

but kayo's case already close with yuuki as suspect right?
and I think investigate is not something that normal people do everyday

it's weird to see why sachiko take risk by playing role as police by catching the murderer
I mean she can't take care herself by doing simple stuff (locking the door)
testamentKAISER said:

In the original timeline, that girl died, Mom saw sensei leading the girl to his car, and then many years later, when Satoru told his mom to check for something or anything, she noticed or atleast recognize sensei, something clicked, told her friend then she died.

thanks, but if she noticed sensei back there, then why not suspecting himi in the first place
I don't think police so stupid there
Alne said:
thought it had to do with those stupid spiderwebs.

lets blame doflamingo

Iirc, Mom was not interested in the case at that time + she only got interested in it, AFTER Satoru told the police of what he knew and her telling Mc something... This is why there is a rift between the 2..., that is why they are not very close in the original timeline.
Mar 24, 2016 7:02 PM

Jul 2013
I'm pretty sure that in the original timeline Sachiko noticed Gaku in the parking lot as he was trying to abduct another child outside of the hospital, this was after Satoru went back in time but couldn't spot what was wrong himself. He was not stalking Satoru, it was merely a coincidence that he was there on the same day as Satoru. Gaku then kept an eye on Sachiko, who had seen him and he recognised, after this. What's not shown is how Gaku definitely knew that she had discovered something or recognised him.

I've always just thought that Gaku chose to eliminate Sachiko regardless of whether he thought she would investigate or not. At this point he could only assume that she had recognised him as he did her, he did not have the luxury of waiting to have evidence of this.

He had to scout out the Fujinuma residence for at least 1 working day to figure out work schedules and gather information on Satoru. He killed Sachiko at a time when Satoru would be returning from work. With the murder scene still fresh it was the perfect time to frame Satoru with his mothers murder.

With the murderer being revealed as Gaku I think that this is not a plot hole, had it been someone Sachiko did not know, then it would have required some measure of explaining as to why the murderer would have thought Sachiko would be able to identify him or uncover his identiy, and require evidence before acting. But Gaku did not have the luxury of having the time to know for sure what she was thinking or doing - he has been shown to be far too cunning and ruthless to expect that of him.

I hope this makes sense.
Mar 24, 2016 7:05 PM

Jul 2015
MightyM16 said:
bobzanny said:

terminador_2397 said:

Yeah but to me the show was good but not to the point where the flaws could be skipped over which is why I rated it a 7
Mar 24, 2016 7:09 PM

Aug 2011
What did Yashiro ever talk to Kenya about anyways?
Mar 24, 2016 7:17 PM

Feb 2012
NihonFalcom said:
What did Yashiro ever talk to Kenya about anyways?

Yashiro told him about Kayo's birthday, so they could make a surprise party for both Satoru and Kayo.

Something the anime left out.
Mar 24, 2016 9:43 PM

Feb 2012
tesla21 said:
polesp said:

He wasn't hunting Satoru down in the original timeline when the case was settled, it was purely coincidence that Satoru's mom happened to catch him while he was about to abduct another child. He definitely wouldn't have been stalking satoru because if he was he would not be attempting to kidnap another victim to such close proxmity to Satoru and his mom who would immediately catch on. It was all coincidence.

This is exactly it, I am not sure what's unclear about it. It was just plot convenience that he happened to kidnap someone around Satoru and his mother, it would be trivial for the author to come up with the specific way he knew that she knew, could be as simple as "he noticed her looking at him funny" as someone else said. It just wasn't explicit.

Exactly my thoughts! When I watched episode 1, I thought it was transparent enough to understand the situation and not consider it as a plot hole.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Mar 24, 2016 9:54 PM

Jun 2014
RealityRush said:
sychev said:

but in the end he release that little girl right?
also sachiko doesn't have a prove that he will doing something bad to that girl so why he bother kill her, sigh

Again, in the very first episode, it is implied she has proof when she tries to meet up with her co-worker, hence Yashiro offing her. I think I'm starting to understand why some people thought this was a legit mystery.... jesus MAL...

I just assume half of mal don't pay actual attention to anime when they're watching it. God, cringe af thread.
Mar 24, 2016 11:35 PM

Jun 2008
No one knows what the term "plot hole" means anymore.
Mar 24, 2016 11:55 PM

Mar 2012
Erased=Plothole the anime. I'm not a hater though. It certainly had its moments and I don't regret watching it. It's just a shame how much wasted potential it had.

6/10
Mar 25, 2016 5:11 AM
Nov 2015
Protaku said:
Sachiko noticed Yashiro trying to pick up little girls in the first episode, and he surmised that she might suspect him of committing a crime and decided to off her in the first episode. It's as simple as that. It's implied he wanted her dead anyway.

You must have skipped the whole first episode mate.

Yes. Surprised it took this long for everyone to remember that part. Satoru had a Revival there because a girl was about to get abducted by Yashiro. When he went back in time to find out and stop what was going to happen, he told his mother to watch out for something. She noticed what she thought was the attempted abduction and it triggered her memory of the killings from long ago. She probably believed that the falsely accused guy was innocent too, since her son did, and from that she and her colleague probably had a good idea of the range of suspects(as we saw on that computer at one point), and Yashiro was originally one of them. So Yashiro saw her and stalked her and then knew that he'd have to kill her since it was probably clear that she had figured it out since she contacted that colleague guy.
JebengMar 25, 2016 5:16 AM
Mar 25, 2016 5:54 AM

Mar 2014
Euphemistic said:
Didn't Satoru's mom figure out the killer's identity,which lead to her murder?

This. I thought it was pretty obvious as well.
You guys need to re-watch the first episode if you think it's a plot hole.
::End of Transmission::

Mar 25, 2016 6:06 AM

Mar 2014
yashiro was still attempting to abduct children and satorus mom happened to catch him in the process in the first ep (the second revival scene). like that line with "watashi wo...miteta?" was to establish that yashiro realized satorus mom knew what he was up to. thats why he stalked satorus mom (the scene where she satoru and airi walk home); it makes even more sense to since she was already tangled up in the original 1988 kidnappings. the final motive for yashiro to move and actually perpetrate the murder was when satorus mom called her reporter friend, and this is proven by the string that appears above her head in that scene. the scene is from yashiros perspective. so, no its not a plot hole so much as relying on a coincidence to progress the story. this was all explained in the first episode so?
Mar 25, 2016 6:06 AM

Apr 2011
the killer never cared about satorou and his mom until his mom saw him taking a child.
Mar 25, 2016 6:09 AM

Mar 2014
Valaskjalf said:
the killer never cared about satorou and his mom until his mom saw him taking a child.

yeah pretty much this too
Mar 28, 2016 11:35 PM
May 2015
testamentKAISER said:
sychev said:

but in the end he release that little girl right?
also sachiko doesn't have a prove that he will doing something bad to that girl so why he bother kill her, sigh

She didn't tell her friend though? They were gonna meet up and talk about it but she died :/
Mar 28, 2016 11:55 PM
Apr 2015
Just having unexplained time-travel without any rules and guidelines is a giant sign saying "Plot holes causing Trypophobia".
Mar 29, 2016 3:14 AM

Jan 2015
VonSeckendorff said:
Don't get me wrong, I started watching this anime with the hightest expectations. But in the end, it fell short and I feel sorta 'betrayed', just like I felt after watching Zankyou no Terror for instance - even tho ZnT is far worse in my opinion. I don't hate it tho, I ranked it 8/10 in my list (I consider lowering it to 7/10, but maybe I'll just leave it like that).

Kids that behave like adults, an extremely obvious 'killer reveal', the pacing of the series became rushed and generally unpleasant after Kayo's arc and the villain's motivations are extremely shallow. Some people say that the mechanics and originis of the time travel thing are the main plot hole, being left unresolved, but for me there's one even big plot hole:

I think it got explained somewhere that he killed her because she recognized him in the parking lot of the supermarket.

She got hints about him being the killer, he noticed that and killed her. Then he incriminated Satoru.
Mar 29, 2016 5:31 AM

Jul 2013
-> Sachiko saw Yashiro trying to kidnap a girl.
-> Yashiro kept an eye on Sachiko.
-> Sachiko re-investigated the abduction case.
-> Yashiro killed Sachiko.
-> Yashiro NEVER stalked Satoru in the first timeline.
Do you guys even watch the first episode?
Mar 29, 2016 6:15 AM

Oct 2014
Powers were never really explained big plot hole indeed
btw every ship was rekted
Mar 29, 2016 6:18 AM

May 2015
I kinda think the anti-Bokumachi circlejerk has reached its high point.
Mar 29, 2016 6:47 AM

Feb 2016
Allow me make a headcanon explanation.

1st
  • Sachiko noticed Yashiro trying to pick up little girls in the first episode, and he surmised that she might suspect him of committing a crime and decided to off her

Now we lead to another question

• why does Yashiro feel the need to kill Sachiko when his crime already passed the statue of limitation?

Well, media doesnt give a fuck about statue of limitation. Media can ruin people life.
Mar 29, 2016 7:13 AM

Oct 2014
Some here are just confused with the timelines.

1st episode (Original timeline) his mom saw that yashiro was trying to kidnap the girl , yashiro noticed it someone looking at him so he cancelled his kidnapping then left.

Note that on episode 1 yashiro isnt stalking them since there is no reason for him to stalk satoru on the original timeline Since in the original timeline yashiro successfuly killed his 3 targets 20 yrs ago. While on the 3rd timeline where satoru successfuly saved those 3 then yashiro got obssesed with satoru.

Original timeline:
- Yashiro killed those 3 kids 20 yrs ago
- Theres no reason for Yashiro to kill satoru

3rd timeline:
- Yashiro failed killing those 3 because satoru interfered.
- Yashiro tried to kill Satoru
- Yashiro failed in killing satoru and that was said to be the first time he failed .
- Yashiro is now obssesed with satoru .

Long story short , on episode 1 it was just a coincidence that yashiro was on the same area as satoru. He killed sachiko because she noticed him on his attempt on kidnapping the kid.
xRhaiMar 29, 2016 7:27 AM
Mar 29, 2016 2:34 PM

Aug 2013
My problem is that the fucking show had a 9.07 when the fourth episode came out. Rating a show so high when it isn't even half over, is beyond me.

Apr 2, 2016 8:36 PM

Dec 2014
obesekid said:
testamentKAISER said:

She didn't tell her friend though? They were gonna meet up and talk about it but she died :/

Oh sorry, i meant "called" not "told", but still mistake on my part. :) ty.
Apr 3, 2016 6:29 AM
May 2015
They did not explicitly state why he killed Satoru's mom. But it was understood that he became aware of her becoming aware. She communicated with someone else, that we know of, over the phone regarding this. And as far as logic goes, there are multiple ways he could have found out. He became a politician, could have had sources tell him. Maybe he was contacted about it by someone who had heard. Regardless, he found out.

The show definitely could have been better, had it answered some of these questions. Surely, it would have been nice to have known the origin of Satoru's ability. But guess, it's up to us to interpret. Maybe God? I can't see any other explanation. But I'm glad the explanation is not something corny.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2016

1415 by slayer70 »»
Sep 18, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2016

1114 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 14, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2016

905 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 14, 10:41 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2016

504 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 14, 10:18 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2016

586 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 14, 9:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.