Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi: a really big, jarring plot hole that only a few noticed.

Erased
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 24, 2016 3:35 PM
Jan 2015
This account has been deleted.
---------------Jun 11, 2016 4:33 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 24, 2016 3:37 PM

Mar 2014
Bad writing... :\
Mar 24, 2016 3:41 PM

Mar 2014
Bad writing is bad

Maybe the manga explains it though
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 24, 2016 3:42 PM
Jul 2018
Probably he came to know that satoru's mother got some hints abt him. Given how the anime itself is a big plot hole and leaves everything unexplained, I stopped caring abt these a long ago.
Mar 24, 2016 3:44 PM

Apr 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Bad writing is bad

Dddddddoooooooouuuuuubbbbbbbbtffffuuuuuulllllll
Mar 24, 2016 3:45 PM

May 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Bad writing is bad

Yeah....no

It's not much better there, honestly

Jun 2015
So apparently it has a big, jarring plot hole. But it's a 8 in your book. Idk

May 2013
In my personal opinion, it's not a plot hole. It's just something that the show didn't fully explain. And the author/director probably chose it to be that way.

It's the same argument as claiming that the revival ability is a plot hole due to the creators choosing to focus more on the themes that these "conveniences" support, rather than the origins or logic behind the ability. In no way do I support the creator's choice to do so, however. It just had to be done given the episode count of the show unfortunately.

Oct 2014
well i think the killed did not killed satoru mom because of the past kidnappings but because in the present he was seen by her during one kidnapping and if the news of the girl he kidnapped ever reached her she would become a hindrance for the teacher
Mar 24, 2016 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
Didn't Satoru's mom figure out the killer's identity,which lead to her murder?
Mar 24, 2016 3:47 PM

Mar 2014
Tylaen said:
Comic_Sans said:
Bad writing is bad

Dddddddoooooooouuuuuubbbbbbbbtffffuuuuuulllllll
KaoruMatsuoka said:
Comic_Sans said:
Bad writing is bad

Yeah....no

It's not much better there, honestly
What?

Not even the mango explained it?
Euphemistic said:
But how did he know that she knew?
Comic_SansMar 24, 2016 3:52 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 24, 2016 3:48 PM
Jan 2015
Mar 24, 2016 3:48 PM

Sep 2015
Given that the revival was never explained, I wouldn't be surprised if that was never explained either. Far too many plot devices used to force events to happen.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 24, 2016 3:49 PM
Jan 2015
BasedErio said:
In my personal opinion, it's not a plot hole. It's just something that the show didn't fully explain. And the author/director probably chose it to be that way.

It's the same argument as claiming that the revival ability is a plot hole due to the creators choosing to focus more on the themes that these "conveniences" support, rather than the origins or logic behind the ability. In no way do I support the creator's choice to do so, however. It just had to be done given the episode count of the show unfortunately.

What turns it into a plot hole is the fact that it creates a logical paradox that comprises the main narrative.
Mar 24, 2016 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
Euphemistic said:

She told her reporter friend and since he was a diet member/city council member/whatever,he may have gotten hold of it this way.
Or the more plausible one,she figured out the killer after noticing something,but he could have noticed her noticing it(gosh,that sounds silly).
Mar 24, 2016 3:53 PM
Jan 2015
Mar 24, 2016 3:54 PM

Mar 2014
Euphemistic said:
Comic_Sans said:

She told her reporter friend and since he was a diet member/city council member/whatever,he may have gotten hold of it this way.
Or the more plausible one,she figured out the killer after noticing something,but he could have noticed her noticing it(gosh,that sounds silly).
But why would the reporter friend reveal it to anyone? I thought he was going to wait until she had gathered more information

I think I need to rewatch episode 1 to see what happened
Nico- said:
Mar 24, 2016 3:54 PM

May 2013
VonSeckendorff said:
BasedErio said:

What turns it into a plot hole is the fact that it creates a logical paradox that comprises the main narrative.

What you said in your opening post: "there wouldn't be any reasons for Yashiro to become obsessed with him and to act upon revenge in the first place."

There could have been a reason. What I'm saying is that it just so happened that the anime chose not to cover it. Yashiro was literally a serial killer; his motivation for killing wasn't limited exclusively to Satoru foiling his plans in the last "timeline". I don't agree that there is a logical paradox, because no logic that the ANIME has established is being contradicted. Everything could possibly play out that way, given the parameters of the show itself. The anime never explicitly made any reference to the way in which time travel and the recollection of memories happen. So MAYBE, there could have been a supernatural phenomenon that resulted in Yashiro being able to gather knowledge from the future. Or MAYBE the mother just found out his identity through some witnessing of a murder. Therefore, I wouldn't consider it a plot hole. It's just bad writing.
WaifuNutMar 24, 2016 3:58 PM
Mar 24, 2016 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
Euphemistic said:

But why would the reporter friend reveal it to anyone? I thought he was going to wait until she had gathered more information

I really need to rewatch episode 1 to see what happened

Yeah,but I'd say he noticed her noticing some vital clue and bet on silencing her,after all,the blame would have easily fallen on Satoru.
But well,Satoru had an ace in the hole.
Mar 24, 2016 4:02 PM
Jan 2015
Mar 24, 2016 4:02 PM

Jan 2013
There is no plothole, quite ironically you are forgetting that Satoru also forgot what he did in the first timeline. He was under the spotlight of Yashiro because he did attempt to stop Kayo being alone in the original timeline, which was explained during the Deja vu Satoru saw during his date. This would have definitely made Yashiro wary of Satoru as he would be directly meddling with Yashiro's plans.

Now why did he not act on killing Satoru in the original timelime? Simple it was explained that the only reason Sugita was killed was in order to make the impression that the killer didn't know that he was a boy and thought Sugita was a girl. The killer was made out to be a paedophile who was after little girls, which led to Yuuki being the main suspect and being locked away. This was done specifically to give anyone like Yashiro an alibi since him being their teacher would mean he definitely would know what gender Sugita is. Thus killing Satoru would just throw a spanner in keeping Yashiro's alibi at the time and anyways Satoru probably didn't raise enough issues for Yashiro since he still managed to commit his murders in the original timeline.

Now when the mother saw Yashiro (eventhough he was wearing a facemask) at the parking lot leaving behind a kid that was by herself and she even took a picture out of suspicion that was enough for him to need to silence her as the rental could be linked to his name and would probably get him convicted with the crimes.
Mar 24, 2016 4:05 PM
Jan 2015
---------------Jun 11, 2016 4:34 PM
Mar 24, 2016 4:08 PM
Jun 2013
That's something I kept criticizing when the first episode was out, and I hoped it would be explained but it didn't happen. Why was Satoru's mother killed? "Oh, she was the mother of a pupil I used to teach 19 years ago! I can't let her survive!"

Even more stupid was how Satoru's mother realized the identity of the killer from a case 19 years ago by looking at a random man. And then the same man kills her for looking at him, and the Anime acts like he knew she figured out his secret when that's actually impossible. It's like the story realizes it's badly written, but tries to get the watcher ignore it.
Mar 24, 2016 4:09 PM

Jan 2013
VonSeckendorff said:
polesp said:
There is no plothole, quite ironically you are forgetting that Satoru also forgot what he did in the first timeline. He was under the spotlight of Yashiro because he did attempt to stop Kayo being alone in the original timeline, which was explained during the Deja vu Satoru saw during his date. This would have definitely made Yashiro wary of Satoru as he would be directly meddling with Yashiro's plans.

Now why did he not act on killing Satoru in the original timelime? Simple it was explained that the only reason Sugita was killed was in order to make the impression that the killer didn't know that he was a boy and thought Sugita was a girl. The killer was made out to be a paedophile who was after little girls, which led to Yuuki being the main suspect and being locked away. This was done specifically to give anyone like Yashiro an alibi since him being their teacher would mean he definitely would know what gender Sugita is. Thus killing Satoru would just throw a spanner in keeping Yashiro's alibi at the time and anyways Satoru probably didn't raise enough issues for Yashiro since he still managed to commit his murders in the original timeline.

Now when the mother saw Yashiro (eventhough he was wearing a facemask) at the parking lot leaving behind a kid that was by herself and she even took a picture out of suspicion that was enough for him to need to silence her as the rental could be linked to his name and would probably get him convicted with the crimes.

What you seem to be ignoring is that Yashiro only realized Satoru's intentions when he screwed up his plans to kill the other two children in the third (?) timeline. He would have no reasons whatsoever to keep hunting him down after almost 20 years when the case was settled already.

He wasn't hunting Satoru down in the original timeline when the case was settled, it was purely coincidence that Satoru's mom happened to catch him while he was about to abduct another child. He definitely wouldn't have been stalking satoru because if he was he would not be attempting to kidnap another victim to such close proxmity to Satoru and his mom who would immediately catch on. It was all coincidence.
Mar 24, 2016 4:13 PM

May 2014
Are ya'll forgetting Sensei basically admitted to being obsessed with him in episode 12? That would explain the stalking. He said he couldn't live without him. That's a valid reason to follow him and his family for 20 years.
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Mar 24, 2016 4:22 PM
Jan 2015
---------------Jun 11, 2016 4:34 PM
Mar 24, 2016 4:32 PM

May 2013
VonSeckendorff said:
BasedErio said:

What you said in your opening post: "there wouldn't be any reasons for Yashiro to become obsessed with him and to act upon revenge in the first place."

There could have been a reason. What I'm saying is that it just so happened that the anime chose not to cover it. Yashiro was literally a serial killer; his motivation for killing wasn't limited exclusively to Satoru foiling his plans in the last "timeline". I don't agree that there is a logical paradox, because no logic is being contradicted. The anime never explicitly made any reference to the way in which time travel and the recollection of memories happen. MAYBE, there was a supernatural phenomenon that resulted in Yashiro being able to gather knowledge from the future. Therefore, I wouldn't consider it a plot hole. It's just bad writing.

He was a serial killer who targetted young children, specially girls or children he mistook for girls. By killing an adult woman and a girl in her late teens, it directly violates his modus operandi. Besides, the way he was introduced and portrayed directly hinted that he somehow had knowledge about Satoru's powers and getting revenge for whatever thing he had done in an alternate timeline. It was like he knew everything.

To settle the matter, yes, it is bad writing, but it is still a plot hole. It never explains why or how he became obsessed with first-timeline Satoru and leaves us assuming that he somehow had motivations originated in the latest timeline.

Even Homestuck deals with time travel and paradoxes better than this, smh.

Well, since I agree with everything you've said, and I haven't made a post that tries to prove any of your points wrong, I suppose we are in somewhat of an agreement. We just have largely differing opinions on what constitutes a plot hole.
Mar 24, 2016 4:38 PM
May 2014
polesp said:
VonSeckendorff said:

What you seem to be ignoring is that Yashiro only realized Satoru's intentions when he screwed up his plans to kill the other two children in the third (?) timeline. He would have no reasons whatsoever to keep hunting him down after almost 20 years when the case was settled already.

He wasn't hunting Satoru down in the original timeline when the case was settled, it was purely coincidence that Satoru's mom happened to catch him while he was about to abduct another child. He definitely wouldn't have been stalking satoru because if he was he would not be attempting to kidnap another victim to such close proxmity to Satoru and his mom who would immediately catch on. It was all coincidence.

This is exactly it, I am not sure what's unclear about it. It was just plot convenience that he happened to kidnap someone around Satoru and his mother, it would be trivial for the author to come up with the specific way he knew that she knew, could be as simple as "he noticed her looking at him funny" as someone else said. It just wasn't explicit.
Mar 24, 2016 5:10 PM

May 2014
Does this all really matter though? It really doesn't. I can't take forums seriously on here tbh xD
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Mar 24, 2016 5:11 PM

Jun 2015
It was literally explained in the first episode. Sachiko found out about Yashiro's killings in the first timeline and Yashiro found out that she knew about him. So he killed her to get her out of the picture, it had nothing to do with Satoru. There is no plot hole (at least, not with that particular incident).

/thread
Mar 24, 2016 5:17 PM

Apr 2014
Sachiko noticed Yashiro trying to pick up little girls in the first episode, and he surmised that she might suspect him of committing a crime and decided to off her in the first episode. It's as simple as that. It's implied he wanted her dead anyway.

You must have skipped the whole first episode mate.
Mar 24, 2016 5:25 PM

Jan 2015
As others have stated, there is no plothole just a coincidence that really screwed over Yashiro.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Mar 24, 2016 5:27 PM

Jul 2007
How does hamasters drive people to kill?
How does a chocolate bar lead to a divorce?

Bad writing.
Mar 24, 2016 5:30 PM

Jul 2015
Fai said:
How does hamasters drive people to kill?
How does a chocolate bar lead to a divorce?

Bad writing.

Don't forget they never explained where his revival power came from also
Mar 24, 2016 5:30 PM
Mar 2014
RealityRush said:
It was literally explained in the first episode. Sachiko found out about Yashiro's killings in the first timeline and Yashiro found out that she knew about him. So he killed her to get her out of the picture, it had nothing to do with Satoru. There is no plot hole (at least, not with that particular incident).

/thread

Protaku said:
Sachiko noticed Yashiro trying to pick up little girls in the first episode, and he surmised that she might suspect him of committing a crime and decided to off her in the first episode. It's as simple as that. It's implied he wanted her dead anyway.

Went down this whole forum and only saw these two correct responses. Honestly, do you guys even actually watch it to watch it or watch it to complain about it?
Mar 24, 2016 5:31 PM

Jan 2015
Seikku said:
RealityRush said:

/thread

Protaku said:

Went down this whole forum and only saw these two correct responses. Honestly, do you guys even actually watch it to watch it or watch it to complain about it?

This is MAL to definitely the latter.
Mar 24, 2016 5:32 PM

Jul 2015
Seikku said:
RealityRush said:

/thread

Protaku said:

There are other legit reasons to point out about this show like other people have already done
Mar 24, 2016 5:33 PM
Mar 2016
Protaku said:

but in the end he release that little girl right?
also sachiko doesn't have a prove that he will doing something bad to that girl so why he bother kill her, sigh
Mar 24, 2016 5:36 PM

Jun 2015
sychev said:
Protaku said:

also sachiko doesn't have a prove that he will doing something bad to that girl so why he bother kill her, sigh

Again, in the very first episode, it is implied she has proof when she tries to meet up with her co-worker, hence Yashiro offing her. I think I'm starting to understand why some people thought this was a legit mystery.... jesus MAL...
Mar 24, 2016 5:38 PM

Oct 2014
its not a plot hole, he killed her because she saw him try to abduct a child, and that she would predict his identity.
so she recognized him in the first episode whats more is that she took a picture. I'm pretty sure he knew she would connect the dots eventually, even if she didn't figure it out she would still have to be killed for reassurance seeing as she witnessed an attempted abduction. when your a killer you cant second guess things like "oh she doesn't recognize me imma just let her go"
AmuroGrayMar 24, 2016 5:44 PM
"My name is Yoshikage Kira. I'm 33 years old. My house is in the northeast section of Morioh, where the villas are, and i am not married. I work as an employee for the Kame Yu department stores, and i get home every day by 8 PM at the latest. I don't smoke, but i occasionally drink. I'm in bed by 11 PM, and make sure I get 8 hours of sleep, no matter what. After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning. Just like a baby, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning. I was told there were no issues at my last checkup."
Mar 24, 2016 5:40 PM

Apr 2014
sychev said:
Protaku said:

Because he didn't want to be caught red handed charting off a little girl to god knows where while someone has already noticed him doing it. Yashiro worries that Sachiko not only noticed his attempted crime but that she recognized him under his disguise, so he decided to stalk and kill her before she draws any conclusions. Keep in mind that Yashiro was already a suspect in Kayo's death before, so if authorities charged him with that attempted abduction, it would not be hard to tie him back to all the murders that happened in the past -- so even more reason to kill Sachiko.
Mar 24, 2016 5:40 PM
Aug 2013
"Most people in this world can only mock/scoff/insult at the works of the other although they may not be able to make it or expert on that too", what a irony . . . :))
~ この 素晴らしい イマダ の 世界 に 神様 の 祝福 を !!! ~
~ Kono Subarashii Imad no Sekai ni Kamisama no Shukufuku wo !!! ~
~ God's Blessing on This Wonderful Imad's World !!! ~
Mar 24, 2016 5:43 PM
May 2014
Protaku said:
sychev said:

Because he didn't want to be caught red handed charting off a little girl to god knows where while someone has already noticed him doing it. Yashiro worries that Sachiko not only noticed his attempted crime but that she recognized him under his disguise, so he decided to stalk and kill her before she draws any conclusions. Keep in mind that Yashiro was already a suspect in Kayo's death before, so if authorities charged him with that attempted abduction, it would not be hard to tie him back to all the murders that happened in the past -- so even more reason to kill Sachiko.

I still don't get how is this even a thread. It's all on the first episode... blatantly so.
Mar 24, 2016 5:44 PM

Feb 2012
Seikku said:

Same, can't believe I had to scroll down so much to find the right answer.

This anime has some plot holes but this isn't a plot hole.

Yashiro was seen by Sachiko when he was attempting to kidnap a girl. She knew him, so it was only a matter of time until she connected the dots and realised everything.
That's why he killed her and later attempted to kill Airi and incriminate Satoru in the original timeline.
Mar 24, 2016 5:45 PM

Mar 2015
I'd rather bring the point of the extreme convenience that led to that situation in the first place as whole, I mean whoa, the killer from 17 years ago kidnapping kids on teh same supermarket Satoru and his mother were buying things? The killer managing to recognize the mom and take her as a threat ? And so on...

Plot hole or not, the first episode already showed signs of how contrived this series would become
Mar 24, 2016 5:45 PM

Jan 2015
tesla21 said:
Protaku said:

I still don't get how is this even a thread. It's all on the first episode... blatantly so.

Because paying attention to the first episode and remembering it is too much to ask for some people.
Mar 24, 2016 5:48 PM

Oct 2014
MightyM16 said:
I'd rather bring the point of the extreme convenience that led to that situation in the first place as whole, I mean whoa, the killer from 17 years ago kidnapping kids on teh same supermarket Satoru and his mother were buying things? The killer managing to recognize the mom and take her as a threat ? And so on...

Plot hole or not, the first episode already showed signs of how contrived this series would become

Cmon its a plot device, also his mother looked exactly the same.
"My name is Yoshikage Kira. I'm 33 years old. My house is in the northeast section of Morioh, where the villas are, and i am not married. I work as an employee for the Kame Yu department stores, and i get home every day by 8 PM at the latest. I don't smoke, but i occasionally drink. I'm in bed by 11 PM, and make sure I get 8 hours of sleep, no matter what. After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning. Just like a baby, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning. I was told there were no issues at my last checkup."
Mar 24, 2016 5:50 PM

Dec 2014
sychev said:
Protaku said:

In the original timeline, that girl died, Mom saw sensei leading the girl to his car, and then many years later, when Satoru told his mom to check for something or anything, she noticed or atleast recognize sensei, something clicked, told her friend then she died.
Mar 24, 2016 5:54 PM

Jul 2007
Dreaded_One said:
MightyM16 said:

Cmon its a plot device, also his mother looked exactly the same.

There are well written plot devices and then there's Erased plot devices. Hell the whole time travel is plot device that NEVER gets explained.
Mar 24, 2016 5:57 PM
Feb 2016
xaos12 said:
Probably he came to know that satoru's mother got some hints abt him. Given how the anime itself is a big plot hole and leaves everything unexplained, I stopped caring abt these a long ago.

But he even admitted in epi 12 that the statute of limitations was up on those crimes anyway :P
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Kobayashi, Kenya question (Spoilers!!!)

xZabuzax - Jun 5

4 by Belegstrongbow15 »»
Jun 12, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2016

587 by MrList »»
Jun 11, 4:42 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

834 by MrList »»
Jun 10, 9:15 PM

» About the ending!!

Reckless_weeb - Feb 25

23 by xZabuzax »»
Jun 5, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2016

1404 by xZabuzax »»
Jun 5, 3:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.