Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Dec 19, 2015 1:42 PM

Sep 2014
MahadoKusanagi said:
ooo333 said:
One thing that this first movie did not answer is WHETHER MATT AND SORA WERE A COUPLE OR NOT!!!!!!!!!

COME ON!!!!!!

You should have started with those two to see if they were together or not and then go from there with the shipping stuff!!!!!

Anywho, this was much more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. 8 of 10

Didnt you watch Digimon 02? In the end, they have children, so whats the point in making clear if they are together or not?
Besides, right now they arent but it will probably matter in the end of the Digimon Movies (these ones, not the old ones). Since nobody knows what exactly happened between the final fight and the time skip in the end of Digimon 02, the producers have the possibility to show what actually happened, and thats what we are seeing.
But lets not forget that the series is still Taichi-centered, so the movies will probably show more of his growth and struggles.

These movies are a great chance for the makers to explain many things but as you said we are probably only going to see Tais growth in character and relationship development
Dec 20, 2015 10:38 AM

Sep 2015
The 01 kids are having one hell of a selective amnesia... actually, everyone in this movie is, to forget Daisuke and the other 02 kids. Hikari and Takeru don't 'disappear' tho. Well we've still got 5 movies to learn the answers

Lol Hikari is still portrayed as the idola girl. Also didn't she bring Taichi his forgotten lunch box tho? He must be still hungry... or perhaps it was his breakfast?
Ioryogi-kunDec 20, 2015 10:42 AM
Dec 22, 2015 1:30 PM
Aug 2015
Ioryogi-kun said:
The 01 kids are having one hell of a selective amnesia... actually, everyone in this movie is, to forget Daisuke and the other 02 kids. Hikari and Takeru don't 'disappear' tho. Well we've still got 5 movies to learn the answers

Lol Hikari is still portrayed as the idola girl. Also didn't she bring Taichi his forgotten lunch box tho? He must be still hungry... or perhaps it was his breakfast?
Well, at the very beginning of the movie we can see the 02 kids getting killed/KOed so that might explain why the 01 kids dont remember them.
Dec 26, 2015 4:57 PM

May 2009
djiluvu44 said:
Ioryogi-kun said:

Well, at the very beginning of the movie we can see the 02 kids getting killed/KOed so that might explain why the 01 kids dont remember them.
Or it's too painful to discuss...
Dec 26, 2015 6:24 PM
Apr 2013
Whine whine yada yada, what did you expect from the first part of this season? Of course it will not be good for now since it is only the beginning. It's just like 01 and 02.

RayAdha said:
While I did enjoy this show...
I still don't get it why Agumon and the others didn't just evolve into their Ultimate Form when they fought Kuwagamon to kill them easier?

Also why the Digimons other than Agumon and Gabumon didn't evolve further than Champion level when they faced gundammon Alphamon.

I can't believe they repeated the same foolishness when they fought Metalseadramon long ago. Taking Mega-level Digimon with Champion ones.

I agree with you, it seems that some of the staff did not thoroughly researched 01 and 02. This makes the Chosen Children a bit retarded. My assumption is that they did that to show some fanservice of Digimon's Adult/Champion forms.
Dec 27, 2015 7:02 PM

Dec 2015
Overall, a solid 7/10

Tai's conflict was good and seeing the cast again gave me nostalgia. I do think the reunion scenes were very underwhelming. I wonder what role the cast of 02 will play. And that whole thing at the beginning about Demiurge and Idea was like chinesse to me.
THe plot seems interesting though. Liked the animation and the fights.
Dec 27, 2015 7:29 PM

Sep 2009
It felt like the show was grabbing one to many straws. Nostalgia, teenage drama, digimon prejudice, etc etc seem to cramp up the show. If anything the episodic movie season....series season format only makes things worse. I thought I would like it much more but after seeing the first part I dunno. The animation seems sparse at times and the evolution sequences were questionable.
Dec 31, 2015 10:25 AM

Jul 2009
Ugh that was awful. Its only saving graces were the nostalgia factor, great cast, and ship teasing.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jan 3, 2016 9:59 AM

Aug 2010
So much enjoyment from watching this.

And damn... Mimi turned out to be one fine young woman.
Jan 3, 2016 1:35 PM
Aug 2012
I liked those 4 episodes. Nice how they used some of the old OST´s. The only thing that bothers me is how Taichi acts.
Yeha they destroyed some buildings and I understand that he realises the destruction they caused better/stronger then when they were kids but no deaths so far.
So why does he act like they have killed some innocent children?
I think this behavior is out of Taichi´s character or at least unappropriate in this kind of situation.
Nevertheless happy to see my childhood heros again :)
Jan 4, 2016 8:40 PM

May 2009
niki17 said:
I liked those 4 episodes. Nice how they used some of the old OST´s. The only thing that bothers me is how Taichi acts.
Yeha they destroyed some buildings and I understand that he realises the destruction they caused better/stronger then when they were kids but no deaths so far.
So why does he act like they have killed some innocent children?
I think this behavior is out of Taichi´s character or at least unappropriate in this kind of situation.
Nevertheless happy to see my childhood heros again :)
I figured it was implied that there were deaths.
Jan 11, 2016 12:19 AM

Apr 2010
Not participating in the two battles I get the feeling Joe wants no part of being a chosen child any more. He chooses to prioritize his studies above all else thinking the others will do just fine without him. By looking at the poster for the next film it seems he may reconsider that way of thinking.
Jan 13, 2016 3:25 AM
Feb 2012
It's definitely nice to be watching this again but it just couldn't (and probably never will) match the old days of Digimon. By adding more drama to it and trying to make it deeper than it should be it takes away from the simple enjoyment I had back in the day.
I do see where the producers are going with this but it isn't working out; it really isn't.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 17, 2016 5:23 PM

Dec 2012
Nostalgic tears were shed
Jan 21, 2016 7:27 AM
Jul 2015
I was very disappointed. They showed MetalGreymon and WereGarurumon for only a few seconds, without even showing their Evolution sequences. I dread to think that they're not planning on showing any of the Perfects' Evolutions in the subsequent movies. The transformations into Perfect were the best thing about the original Digimon; I was hoping to see them in high-quality animation.

Another thing that annoyed me is that they don't call out their attacks' names anymore. Only Togemon did (with Crunchyroll using the dub's name for the attack...).

The Crunchyroll sub disappointed me, too. They used Piyomon's and Tailmon's English-dub names instead. Thankfully, they kept "Omegamon" instead of "Omnimon." The whole sub seemed half-assed, with a lot of missing commas, and I don't like how they translated some of the characters' speech. I'm not sure, but I think they messed up on the song's translation too.
ForcefieldDownJan 21, 2016 7:32 AM
Feb 5, 2016 2:59 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
I was disappointed. I know it is not the same staff as back then but I was hoping this season would connect to plot holes that were left open from 01/02. Instead... It feels like a sidestory (Digi-destined meet another digi-destined that they must help.) Wasn't there an Adventure movie identical to this, with an American digi-destined? Plus it gives more Tamers/Savers vibes.

Excluding the 02 kids like that feels unnatural. The staff could have said that they are going to cut 02 completely but they did not. So why nobody cares about them? It seems they are captured but unless the 01 kids are brainwashed or something, I do not see why they would not care about them.

I still wanted a Dagomon plot.
Feb 6, 2016 10:15 AM

Oct 2010
Maybe i expected too much form this. To much time was given to Tai and too little to the fights. Action was underwhelming and it was not in exchange of character development, just to see tai QQ some more. Hopefully next one will be better.
huh?
Mar 8, 2016 10:26 PM

Mar 2012
let me start by saying i was never a digimon fan in the old days. i actually have never watched a full season of it.

well, this is obviously made for the fans and for the whole nostalgia thing. i think it was pretty meh. i know it's just and introduction, but as a newcomer here, i was lost as hell. that last fight was horrible and even after reading all pages of the discussion here i still don't know what the hell happened. what digimon evolved to who and who was good and who was bad [i just got that the red ones that appeared before were definitely bad]. it didn't even picked my interest to watch the old seasons to get to know the universe and what was happening.
but i think the biggest sin here is the animation. it wasn't anything special, tending to bad. it was really underwhelming considering it was 2015 and they could have done much better considering this is a famous franchise and it wasn't like a full season anime. and fans deserved something better done. :/

but what made me smile was butterfly. that song is pretty iconic, even to me, and the new version sounds so good. <3
anyway,
Mar 9, 2016 10:02 PM

May 2009
unbewithable said:
let me start by saying i was never a digimon fan in the old days. i actually have never watched a full season of it.

well, this is obviously made for the fans and for the whole nostalgia thing. i think it was pretty meh. i know it's just and introduction, but as a newcomer here, i was lost as hell. that last fight was horrible and even after reading all pages of the discussion here i still don't know what the hell happened. what digimon evolved to who and who was good and who was bad [i just got that the red ones that appeared before were definitely bad]. it didn't even picked my interest to watch the old seasons to get to know the universe and what was happening.
but i think the biggest sin here is the animation. it wasn't anything special, tending to bad. it was really underwhelming considering it was 2015 and they could have done much better considering this is a famous franchise and it wasn't like a full season anime. and fans deserved something better done. :/

but what made me smile was butterfly. that song is pretty iconic, even to me, and the new version sounds so good. <3
anyway,
I wish I could say that. I don't care for this version of Butterfly and I straight up hate the Tri version of I wish.

That aside you should probably at least read up on what happened for the Adventure/02 to get the movie..partially.
Mar 14, 2016 5:41 AM

Jan 2015
First of all, does this movie had 4 parts each???....cuz I only can find 4 parts each 24mins long....
Apr 28, 2016 12:58 PM

Feb 2013
No evolution for Gatomon? man that must suck
<-click
Jun 16, 2016 10:24 PM

Aug 2007
Mimi forever best girl!

I thought it was a fine start, animation was a bit cheap and awkward at times. But it was fine, personally I thought it was great seeing the gang back together again, all slightly older and slightly grown. I was fine with Taichi's change in personality and I feel the backlash against him is a bit extreme, calling him 'emo'(lol who the fuck still uses this as a derogatory term in 2016?) is retarded.

It's not like how things were as kids, this is all taking place in their world and their own neighborhoods, a single kuwagamon caused a lot of damage. Taichi's hesitance comes from the fear that actual people will get hurt and possibly even die from their battle. Not just that, he's hesitant about anything in his life currently, he's at a complete cross road mentally.

It would have been completely self-indulgent to just jump in guns 'a blazin' and not worrying any potential casualties in the process.

Jul 10, 2016 3:35 PM
Jan 2012
nice digi-evolution's
Uau nice meeting group's.
I love the nostalgic movie.
The draws and characther design are loving. I hope new digi-chosen have a good relevance in the story.
Jul 25, 2016 10:06 AM

Feb 2013
Taichi being a wimp wasn't pleasant to watch, he was just too annoying.
If he doesn't fight, more things are going to get destroyed, he got older and stupid.
Sora still hasn't chosen between Yamato and Taichi either.
The others aren't even worth mentioning, Takeru and Hikari didn't do a thing either to help, Koushirou seems to like Mimi.
Jou didn't do a thing, studying is more important to him than saving the world,lol.
Alphamon is after Meicoomon.
Aug 9, 2016 9:40 AM

Dec 2008
I watched this separately as 4 episodes but I gotta say that I'm disappointed with the bad writing and animation after all the hype.

I get it why Taichi becomes angsty but I don't need those flashbacks with the same scene more than 2 times. Yes, Taichi hesitated most of the times because he didn't want to cause anymore destruction to the world but if he didn't fight, lots of other this will get destroyed and it took him 4 damn episodes to realize that. I'm not really a fan of Jo in this sequel either. His friend and the world is in danger and he choose to study. Luckily my favorite character Mimi is still lovable as before.

I avoid myself from reading spoilers but I hope the next movie will be much better than this.
Sep 15, 2016 8:33 PM

Aug 2010
I got to see this in theaters. Wow, such a rush seeing all my favorite characters. All these years, and Digimon still has some of my favorite character interaction,period. Tai was kinda whiny, but I'll give him a pass this time. Alphamon looked bad-a**. The few new dub voices all did a really good job.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 25, 2016 12:03 PM

Apr 2012
the big bad boss looks awful like a gundam
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Oct 2, 2016 3:27 PM

Aug 2014
Soren said:
Loving Yamato. Snaps Taichi to his sense and his voice hnng <3
Same. I only watched the dub of Digimon before so I never got a chance to hear his Japanese voice. They nailed it. I still can't help but feel the tension between Matt and Tai is a little too exaggerated though. After all they've been through this should be nothing.

Moon           Lovers
                  
Rainbow                For You                Bluebird

Oct 2, 2016 4:14 PM

Jul 2013
MoonlightReverie said:
Soren said:
Loving Yamato. Snaps Taichi to his sense and his voice hnng <3
Same. I only watched the dub of Digimon before so I never got a chance to hear his Japanese voice. They nailed it. I still can't help but feel the tension between Matt and Tai is a little too exaggerated though. After all they've been through this should be nothing.
oh wow its been almost a year since i saw this, i should watch the other movies
Oct 4, 2016 8:13 AM

Jan 2014
overall is fine, but I don't like Taichi's attitude.
he's afraid of destroying the city and killing people because of the fight, but giving the situation, if he's didn't fight back it could be worse than that.
then what's holding him to take action ffs.
Jan 2, 2018 2:28 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
all the kids together and a new friend more to start this first film!!!
May 10, 2018 8:01 AM

Nov 2016
I was like 3 years old when I watched this anime for the first time.

It's certainly great to see all the characters again, will need some time to get used to the different designs,tho. But I'm already digging the sound of this.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 15, 2019 6:49 PM
Jan 2017
I looove the new artstyle but I can see how some reviews say it banks on your nostalgia it seems pretty similar to 01, Matt and Tai fighting and a bigger thing happening in the backgorund w/ the government agents either way im excited to get through the series
Aug 26, 2019 7:00 PM

Jun 2012
Wow what a goddamn trip. Cant believe they brought out Omnimon so soon. Looking forward to this.
Nov 27, 2019 11:41 AM

Apr 2015
Read somewhere that Digimon Tri 1 was basically a rich person making a Taiyama AU. Just finished the movie and I would like to say that this is 100% correct.

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Apr 18, 2020 9:57 PM

May 2008
.....I'm surprised I'm not part of the majority hating on this. I went in expecting the worst and... it's honestly not that bad. Most of it is done well from a lore stand point that I'm shook.

AllStarNemesis said:
Recall the final battle with Apocalymon, when he destroyed the crests. The original 8 discovered they didn't need the crests to reach Ultimate and Mega. They had the power in them all along.

It was 02, which retconned the crests as still being around, but had to be given up in order to "restore the digital world" (which should've already happenedd after the defeat of the Dark Masters and Apocalymon); in an event that we never see, but 02 said happened.

The Azulongmon gave everyone digicores during the world tour arc, that restored their abilities to digivolve to Ultimate. Agumon though, got a second digicore so he could reach Mega and fight Black War Greymon. Matt and Gabumon never got a second core or reached Mega in 02.

So the umbridge is really on 02 for retconning and or misinterpreting the Adventure casts crests powers. Presumably done as way to set up a competency barrier, that would keep the Adventure kids out of the action, and to disable the use of the Ultimate forms for TK and Hikari; who were on the team of the 02 kids. Until, ya know, TPTB/TPTW decided to lift the ban and give everyone a piece of the action for the World Tour arc.

ssjup81 said:
That aside, my understanding is that the Digimon can still evolve to higher levels, but that it's more difficult to do without the extra energy boost from their human partners.

ssjup81 said:
I figured it was implied that there were deaths.

1) Yes and no. Yes, digimon can evolve without a human (see Tailmon), Adventure suggests that it's a huge risk though. (Apocalymon is the result of those who failed.) But, the Chosen 8 digimon can't evolve without their human. And the Chosen Children no longer have their Crests, so Perfect and Ultimate should be impossible for them.
2) No. The news right after says no one died. So his random drama about it should have ended with that reveal.

gekkouka said:
Read somewhere that Digimon Tri 1 was basically a rich person making a Taiyama AU. Just finished the movie and I would like to say that this is 100% correct.

I can certainly believe it. Damn, were they preeeeetty gay (okay, mostly Yamato, but that's nothing new).
SakariiApr 22, 2020 7:37 PM
May 31, 2020 4:11 AM
Nov 2013
Was Taichi always such a pussy?
Oct 11, 2020 11:50 PM

Dec 2012
Demiurge?
Dat egg. Dat sound. Dat hatch.
Dat digivice.
Dat pic.
Blackouts in the Kawasaki area?
Oniichan.
Hikari.
Taichi's okaasan.
WTF is that?
AAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! BUTTER-FLY!!!!!!!!
WTF ran out that bush?
The GOAT, TAICHI!!!!

What a start. The Edabareshi kodomo-tachi are back. Watching Tri directly after Bokura no War Game feels so right considering whats shown in this. The shinka scenes are ugly as hell, but I understand why they went with the egg (the Demiurge opening). Considering how the artstyle looks, I feel like Toei should have collabed with Trigger, for example. Hell, they should have collabed with the GOAT of Digimon, Hosoda (his choice to accept). We would have gotten better fighting scenes. I can understand why Taichi acting like that. He sees the things he didn't see as a kid. Now about Sora. The beginning beat of Butter-fly is my favorite. Brave Heart is amazing as always. I Wish being the ED song was hype.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 14, 2021 12:51 PM

Jan 2021
Rushed reunions that didn't make you feel anything. No impact at all or whatsoever. Terrible animation for a damn movie coupled with jarring CGI evolution sequences. It's hard to believe the reboot TV series had way better animation than this.

The most insufferable part is probably what they did to Taichi. Okay, he grew up and widened his perspective. He can now see things that he couldn't when he was still a naive little child. That's honestly a very good development really but man they don't need to remind us every second that Taichi's having doubts. Not especially in the middle of a Digimon rampaging that's clearly gonna destroy the whole city like... you see this acquaintance of yours about to get yeeted off the planet by Alphamon's blaster but instead of trying to help, you actually stopped on your tracks because you're conflicted whether what you're doing is right. THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR THAT. How are you gonna start having doubts now when there's clearly a giant monster right before your very eyes that's gonna wipe Tokyo off the map of Japan and you're concerned about causing destruction. Good thing Yamato was there or else Meiko would've been toast. Everyone's fighting so hard to stop this beast from blowing everything to smithereens and you're standing there wondering what to do. This was such a terrible way of giving Taichi conflicts like obviously there's gonna be a lot of destruction if you're just gonna leave that mf alone. They didn't need Yamato to tell him that. That should've been common sense. This movie only made Taichi look dumb.

Final fight was horrible. The highlight of Digimon has always been the evolutions. How are you just gonna make them evolve into their ultimate and subsequent forms offscreen like that (ToT)
Hound-of-MALJan 14, 2021 3:23 PM
Mar 14, 2021 1:46 AM

Jul 2013
Coming off of 01 and 02, the fight and animation just got a massive upgrade, with actual choreography instead of just spamming the signature move. There's also lot of movement in the background which I appreciate. Then again, it's a 2015 movie vs 1999 TV.

The character design looks abysmal. Everybody got the exact same face. Nobody is as memorable as they did in the previous shows. The Digimon look so sharp, stiff, ugly, and often off-model especially in higher forms. CG evolution somehow looks a lot worse than the 1999.

The constant ship tease and fujo-bait was annoying, but not nearly as annoying as Taichi himself for obvious reason.

Omegamon vs Alphamon was definitely the highlight and it sure did deliver (tho Alphamon struggling to pull the sword from the ground was stupid as hell). Brave Heart remix was a banger.
JustMonakaMar 14, 2021 3:06 AM
Mar 31, 2021 3:06 AM

Jan 2017
Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling the new evolution sequence may be even worse than the original. Is it really necessary to make them in 3D instead of 2D

Everything else is fine and the final fight looks really awesome, but I can't help noticing the plot hole that is the Ultimate evolutions
Jun 8, 2022 10:55 PM

Feb 2015
Despite it was exciting to watch another show of this group, it has its ups and downs. I love how modern world is portrayed through the use of a lot of technology, that was the main topic of an anime about a digiworld. I noticed that despite the animation is clean, sometimes is too static, so not my favorite type of work. The fight between Tai and Matt is still unexplained, I understand that Tai is worried about the damages in the real world, but it would be worse without their intervention, and his opinion changing in the last minute, if it is true, I hope that topic gets more developed. I love the interaction between the characters and now that you think about it and I’m not a kid, is impossible to hide such things with horrible disguises. Why are they not asking too much questions about that organization. Overall interesting, a lot of things to resolve.
Jun 4, 2023 1:55 PM

Nov 2010
None of the main characters are wearing gloves so I definitely say that this should be considered non-canon. 
Aug 27, 2023 11:30 PM

Nov 2012
just rewatched the dub of this, think I initially watched the sub then the dub some time ago, but it was before they were all out & dubbed. I defo have the nostalgia and connection more so to the english digimon and remember struggling to get through Tri, but thought I'd give it another go getting through them all now, and so started with a rewatch of the first one. 

I swear I don't remember the digivolution animation looking like that. I mean it looks okay I guess, but something about it defo looks a bit off.

Besides that like I thought it defo feels worth the revisit for the digi nostalgia alone!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you like the character design in Tri? ( 1 2 3 )

cro3 - Feb 20, 2015

106 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 28, 2023 12:48 AM

» Why does everyone hate the 02 characters?

12ylie - May 12, 2015

22 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:42 PM

» Can I watch this without watching any of the previous Digimons ?

reyqq - Sep 15, 2021

9 by Ducksama14 »»
Apr 2, 2022 9:30 PM

» Plot holes in 02?

cro3 - Mar 16, 2015

29 by Ducksama14 »»
Apr 2, 2022 9:25 PM

Poll: » sora ( 1 2 )

ninjastarforcex - Dec 15, 2014

81 by StormxNightmare »»
Dec 3, 2020 8:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.