Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2015 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm, they are still relying a lot on flashbacks for the show. Otherwise, a good episode of balance in the snowy weather. How do some of the guys not catch a cold though?! Lol.

>Yattercat
Every week, this series gets more and more strange.
Feb 8, 2015 8:31 AM

Jul 2010
Doronjo has some snowman skills! There was some peeing here and there but Takeshi was a fun person.

Ga-chan building up confidence from winning against Doronjo xD

The rigged tournament, it was fun seeing Genghiskhan beat up each of them.

A fun one as always!
Feb 8, 2015 8:42 AM
Jan 2009
That was... pretty crazy and very '77.
Sadly I can't understand the sumo jokes, so half the episode was wasted on me.

Thinking at the big picture Galina's training (and especially him gaining slightly more confidence) was probably the most plot-related event.
Feb 8, 2015 8:55 AM

May 2013
The commentary of the "whispering reporter" was pretty annoying...
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
Feb 8, 2015 9:18 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The mecha sumo fight with whispering reporter was completely retarded. It destroyed the complete episode and it's a shame cause the first half was really good.
Feb 8, 2015 9:29 AM
Jan 2009
The wispering reporter and his (unseen) cameraman were actually a reference from Yattodetaman.
Feb 8, 2015 9:32 AM

Feb 2012
Copy-pasting what I wrote on my Twitter:

What the f*ck is Yatterman Night? Is it a slapstick comedy? Is it a touching drama? Is it an analysis regarding 90s hero role reversals? It's like the Fractale of children's cartoons. Or adult cartoons. I can't tell who the audience is b/c the tones are all over the place.

And yeah, the jokes aren't the least bit funny (too much energy, not enough punchline) and the flashbacks are annoyingly repetitive. And just to hammer the nail in, the action is also crap. What a terrible follow-up to last week's episode.

Edit: And Dark Kain, exactly what is the point of referencing those people from the original show other than the fact that they were in the original show?
FlawfinderFeb 8, 2015 9:49 AM
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Feb 8, 2015 9:34 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I guess, this is really made especially for the early Yatterman watchers.
Feb 8, 2015 9:46 AM

Apr 2014
This was... very random. I had to ask my friend a few things, since I didn't understood them, but overall the episode was nice.

Dark_Kain said:
The wispering reporter and his (unseen) cameraman were actually a reference from Yattodetaman.
Good job noticing that.
Feb 8, 2015 10:00 AM

Sep 2013
Yeah, I must admit. This is the first time they stuck to a specific tone and the jokes for once weren't all that funny. Seeing Leopard get knocked over and it being called "training" was funny and I liked the quick snowman building at the start but stuff like the guy pissing all the time and the whispering reporter wasn't funny at all.

No drama this week either which I'd say is a good thing because it was probably the silliest episode yet so at least the tone was kept okay. Problem is that it still has the problem of not fleshing out it's 1-episode characters. I barely knew the sumo kid so I didn't really care about him at all.

Also, here I thought Leopard was going to go through some form of character development what with her breaking down crying last week calling the place hell. So much for that because she's exactly the same as she was before. *Rubs my eyes*

The episode was entertaining still and it had more charm this week than the last couple episodes but all of the fleshing out didn't really add anything to any of the characters that wasn't already established. The episode in general didn't progress the story much except for the bad guy finding out Doronjo is alive and the action wasn't all that great either.

Another thing. Going from the ending of last episode where Leopard was crying straight into, "OMG WINTER FESTIVAL, YAY SNOWMEN AND HAPPINESS" was very jarring, more so than usual. I was legitimately confused as to what was going on like I skipped an episode or something. They explain it with, "Oh we let them have fun at a festival so they don't start a rebellion" but that was glanced over so fast and no one at the festival seemed to be particularly sad or even angry at all even when the Yatterman started interrupting the fights. 1 day of peace doesn't make animosity disappear, if anything, it would show them what they are missing and cause it to raise the next day. Not that the series ever had plausibility to begin with what with Boyacky being able to conjure mecha out of no where but my point still stands.
Feb 8, 2015 10:13 AM
Jan 2009
The problem with the episode is that it was fully focused on the '77 series style.
So it was either a parody or a satire about a certain argument.
Problem is: if you don't know said argument you can't get the humor at all.

Now i know nothing about sumo and I don't have any proof, but, with the original series in mind, my gut feeling is that the sumo boy was designed as a caricature of some actual sumo player (sumo wrestler?).
Same goes for the silly jokes of the second half.

Just as the the wispering reporter was actually a fun reference for me (I watched yattodetaman when I was ~3 years old) but was entirely missed by those who never watched said tatsunoko series.
So the main issue of the episode is that it wasn't very western-friendly.
It could be good, could be bad but I wouldn't really get most of it anyway.
Feb 8, 2015 12:10 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Takeshi was a bizarrely fun character. But just how he was pissing everywhere he wished so, the mood of episode was the same.

I still don't see Doronbow making any decent progress so far in their battle against the Yatter Kingdom, other than beating up the mecha as Genghiskhan. Even that didn't do much, as they got chased by General Goro right after.

Average episode. I still hope this show picks up. It started off really good though.

Feb 8, 2015 1:39 PM

Jul 2014
Can somene please tell me Where the helll does Boyacky get the parts to make genghis Khan? I swear to god they have like no Moneyyyy
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Feb 8, 2015 2:11 PM

Dec 2010
Takeshi seems like he should have his own series, he seems like one of those over enthusiastic Shonen heroes.

This episode was just okay. It is getting more strange which isn't a problem. But I don't really know where they plan on going with this...
Feb 8, 2015 2:51 PM
Jul 2018
The mecha battles were pretty so-so.

Genghiskhan won the tournaments.
Feb 8, 2015 3:04 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I really like Takeshi....The kid is gullible as fuck but he had a big heart :''D I'm really happy that Doronjo gave him the winnings

Overall this episode was pretty good, the comedy was decent and the sillyness was cool as always

The mech battles were enjoyable as well, and the flashbacks/the snowman stuff really hit me right in the Kokoro :''')
Feb 8, 2015 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
This episode has too much Hurricane Polymar.
Takeshi, martial arts, (super)human vs mecha, Genghiskhan moves, Doronbo's dog-mecha-inside-the-mecha costume (yeah, it's kinda difficult to say what it is).

Also, sumo and Yokozuna (which Tonzura said) refers to Yatter Yokozuna.

Can't wait for next reference.
I wonder if there'll be Ippatsuman and Casshern themed episodes.
Feb 8, 2015 6:30 PM

Dec 2014
Busy referencing anime from the 70s and copying their style.
Yatterman (the reporter, RIP Yang Wenli.), Hurricane Polymar (haliken, hurricane), Neo-Human Casshern (that dog chasing the gang with YatterPug, funny cause the next next scene it is disappeared.)
The show still needs an identity, or it's just a throwback to the anime Tatsunoko Productions had done in the past which occasionally interrupted by the new vision of the production team, or the other way around, either way the balance is off.
Feb 8, 2015 6:47 PM

Sep 2013
Let's hope the next one is good.
Feb 8, 2015 9:04 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty meh, just like the series itself. The snowman part was funny though.
Feb 8, 2015 10:19 PM

Oct 2011
Those references.

Whisper Reporter XD

Yatter Kingdom weren't gonna let them win.

Takeshi got the winnings from the tournament thanks to Doronjo and gang

I hope Ga-chan gets more confident
Feb 9, 2015 1:09 AM
Jan 2009
Flawfinder said:

Edit: And Dark Kain, exactly what is the point of referencing those people from the original show other than the fact that they were in the original show?

Woops I noticed only now that edit; sorry, my bad.

Pay to mind that those people were not form the original show (Yatterman), they were from another Tasunoko "Time Bokan" series (Yattodetaman) the name was intentionally similar due to the Time Bokan macroseries shenaningans.

There were actually tons of other referenes (and several japanese wordplay and sumo jokes) during the second half of the episode, other than the Yattodetaman one I got an Hurricane Polymar reference and I am also pretty certain that the "Yattertiger" was a Tiger Mask reference.

What was the point? Well the whole episode was noticeably '70 styled (it even used the format of the original series, suddendly switching the episode focus halfway from something related to the Doronbo's scam - snow, snowmen, snow rabbits- to something different, but related to the actual plot - sumo -) so I guess the direction liked the idea of using references from several '70s anime series.
Feb 9, 2015 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
Dark_Kain said:

Aha! Sasayaki (reporter) and Koyama (cameraman), which appeared in Royal Revival (got the name from Royal Revival's sub, don't know whether it's wrong or not), is from Yattodetaman. Thanks for the info, cause I was kinda lost from where these guys are from.

Dark_Kain said:

There were actually tons of other referenes (and several japanese wordplay and sumo jokes) during the second half of the episode, other than the Yattodetaman one I got an Hurricane Polymar reference and I am also pretty certain that the "Yattertiger" was a Tiger Mask reference.

Yeah, Tiger Mask. I didn't notice that lol.
Sumo jokes? Humm.... Yokozuna might refer to Yatter Yokozuna, but those names (Komusubi, Oyakata, Yokozuna) are common terms in sumo world.
removed-userFeb 9, 2015 6:53 AM
Feb 9, 2015 9:10 AM

Jan 2013
Yeah, blame the studio for using Japanese jokes for Japanese in Japanese anime.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Feb 9, 2015 9:17 AM

Dec 2014
4/5
Feb 9, 2015 6:03 PM

Mar 2009
Not my favorite episode.
Feb 10, 2015 3:14 AM

Feb 2013
Series started out cool but I hope it stops getting repetitive. This was a pretty weak episode in my opinion but Takeshi seemed like a cool character. Hope next episode is better. I like this series but the repetition is getting kinda old.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Feb 10, 2015 6:00 AM

Sep 2014
Eh.....not sure how to feel about this episode. I was seriously bored for most of the duration of the episode. Takeshi's pissing pissed me off too. Sigh, hope it gets better soon.
Feb 10, 2015 7:48 AM

Jul 2012
>They go to enter
>Only minors can join
>All opponents are adults
>or robots

wut?
Feb 10, 2015 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
Non-Yatterman original series watchers, don't expect this to be the greatest anime for you.
Feb 14, 2015 11:22 AM

Jul 2012
A damn random episode, A filler if anything.. I'll keep looking forward to the next episode. Hopefully that'll get us back on track.
Feb 15, 2015 2:00 PM

Apr 2013
what did i just witness... haha

a very quiet 5/5
Feb 18, 2015 7:32 AM

May 2009
This was my least favorite episode of the series so far, how could they mess up so badly after such an epic battle in the forest previous episode?
Feb 20, 2015 10:51 PM

Oct 2008
What a fun crazy episode! and oh yeah! I saw Takamura!

Feb 22, 2015 7:01 AM

Nov 2011
What stands out about everything, in this episode, the soundtrack is really nice to hear.
Narrative that remains fun to follow, this time it's up to the bad some beatings.
Plot advancing though now I do not understand where they want to go to parry, drawings and animations good.
Apr 16, 2015 1:59 PM

May 2012
Hilarious episode xD Pretty damn funny but what the hell was wrong with that peeing kid xD
Apr 17, 2015 3:29 AM

Feb 2008
Best episode so far. Started out pretty chill and then all hell breaks loose. The mecha battle at the end of the episode was pretty hilarious, with the whispering reporter and funny attacks (baby kangaroo mech coming out is very Yatterman).

But I can understand people not liking this. It's way out of their comfort zone as it's trying to be as wacky as the original Yatterman, while still having a story. And your average anime fan doesn't appreciate some old humour like you'd see in Wacky Races.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 14, 2016 3:09 AM

Dec 2012
Damn. Takeshi pisses a lot.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jun 18, 2017 5:38 PM

Aug 2012
-takeshi seems like a shitter
-voltkatze and elephantus are pretty bad con men, but at least that scene was kinda uplifting
-alouette is precious
-i'm super glad this didn't just turn out to be some regular martial arts tournament episode
-however everything leading up to the final round was kinda lackluster

Not really a fan of martial arts tournament arcs so this episode was mostly a miss for me. Also Takeshi was just... super forgettable in every way. Basically the only thing he was good for was to solidify the humanity of the Dorombos, and that pee gimmick got old pretty fast. I suppose that his whole shonen protag aura also means that not everyone in the Yatterman kingdom is a downtrodden shell like the previous citizens were. The last third of the episode had a return to the wackiness that I'm familiar with, but pretty much everything before that was just not as exciting as the previous episodes. Easily the weakest episode so far.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

65 by dechenerate »»
Sep 23, 2023 8:21 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

30 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 10, 2017 5:19 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

29 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 10, 2017 4:17 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2015

35 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 10, 2017 1:21 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2015

26 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 9, 2017 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.