Edit Anime Information

Uchiage Hanabi, Shita kara Miru ka? Yoko kara Miru ka?

Synonyms: Fireworks, Should We See it from the Side or the Bottom?
Japanese: 打ち上げ花火、下から見るか?横から見るか?

Source: Other
Genres: Drama
Duration: 1 hr. 30 min.
Rating: None

Score: 6.871 (scored by 772 users)
Popularity: #2015

Oct 5, 2017
tributed (All reviews)
I'm sorry to say but this movie was so un-enjoyable that I was compelled to write a review.
I watched the whole movie hoping for an amazing finish however it was very lackluster, incoherent and had less character development than a ShamWOW! infomercial.
I am someone who generally enjoys most movies however I left the movie feeling like it made my life worse.
It's only redeeming features are the OK sound track as well it's unconventional art style, similar to that of Noein: To Your Other Self.
I'd recommend watching the trailer as it should set alarm bells as it doesn't make any sense.
Sep 1, 2017
kitbikyuu (All reviews)
Warning: Possible Light Spoilers

I just finished watching "Uchiage Hanabi" in theaters. It has been out for about two weeks, so the theater was about half full in one of the smaller rooms. To be honest, I am not sure what to think of this movie. While this work is absolutely visually beautiful, there were several sections where CG was used, likely to speed up production (hopefully this will be fixed in the DVD / Blu-ray release). Story-wise, it was pretty slow, but really interesting for me. It was pretty deep, playing with the concept of divergent worlds: how each decision we make can affect the read more
Sep 5, 2017
Vaenny (All reviews)
I can describe this movie in 2 words: Almost perfect. Why? Because while it had the potential to be great, it had small mishaps that led to its inability to reach perfection.

Before I begin, let me just say that I watched this in the cinemas 3 weeks after its premiere at United Cinemas. And inside the theater, there were only 3 people. And so I began to wonder, "Is the movie not good after all?". My opinion then changed after the movie ended.

So what made it almost perfect? Was it the plot? As far as I can tell, there was nothing wrong with the sequence read more
Oct 2, 2017
Metsuryu (All reviews)
I just saw this movie in theaters. This review is going to be kind of long, so let me put this in general terms:

If you're watching this movie because it has nice art: just watch the music video for the image song, Uchiage Hanabi by DAOKO. It contains almost all the nice shots from the movie (missing the ending sequence, which although is slightly odd, is very beautifully animated. So maybe watch the music video then wait for the movie to be available to stream then skip to the ending to see the pretty fireworks and surreal animation).

If you're watching this movie because read more
Oct 8, 2017
EvenJellyOn (All reviews)
While animation wise it looks like a couple of TV episodes the film is still a great alternative to Your Name.

Most of the great animated scenes can be seen in the music video par a scene near the ending.

It feels like two or so somewhat boring slice of life episodes and then turns into a time travel like story.

The music was great though.

While in some moments you can feel Akiyuki Shinbo's style the rest feels like some low budget CGI weekly series. Shame but the movie itself was pretty great.
Some of the scenes are cheesy like the musical scene out of nowhere that read more
Sep 8, 2017
tenjor (All reviews)
"At that time, if only- if only I had...!" - Norimichi Shimada

In this review, I will make several references to a "gimmick" in this movie. It refers to a surprising element in the film that drives the plot and its core theme. Since the preview does an excellent job of concealing it, I do not want to spoil the gimmick in case people want to experience it for themselves completely blind, but it is difficult to talk about the story without referring to it, and I am sure once the movie hits more western theaters, knowledge of the gimmick will be as much of a read more
Oct 10, 2017
wasaabi__ (All reviews)
After thinking fairly hard for about five minutes, I decided that the best way to describe 'Fireworks' would be to state that the film itself is exactly like a firework shell; gorgeous upon it's explosion, though way too complex and bombarding on the inside for the average person to care about.

'Fireworks', or 'Uchiage Hanabi, Shita kara Miru ka? Yoko kara Miru ka?', is a fairly enjoyable eye-gasm that will leave you entertained for it's duration, though won't leave any long-lasting impact. As someone who has not read the original source material, I can't say whether or not the story itself had a reasonable execution read more
Oct 8, 2017
Lord_Lamington (All reviews)
I went into Fireworks expecting a good movie. However, i was a bit disappointed when I watched this. the movie is trying to aim high, but fails miserably. While this movie isn't really bad, it isn't good. I believe the problem relies on the characters. I feel nothing for them, there was nothing in this movie that really made me care about them. So when these characters start going through emotional scenes i am just not connecting with them. The story wasn't really 'clicking' with me either, but i think that's because of how bad the characters were.

TINY SPOILER AHEAD, SKIP PARAGRAPH IF YOU read more
Oct 7, 2017
mmchan (All reviews)
“A purehearted, sincere romance that showcases how bittersweet young love can be.”
“A trainwreck of a movie that unyieldingly chugs on till the final climax and disappoints.”

» Today I watched uchiage hanabi in theatres. (English official subs)
To be totally honest I only watched it because of the theme song and because shaft.

» My verdict:
plot was flimsy and bad, characters were bland as hell. BUT! It’s actually not that bad. The overall ambience was done well, and you will be intrigued to find out more (well some will find it boring as the pace is very slice of life-ish)

» The plot. What plot? The whole movie read more
Oct 5, 2017
alysael (All reviews)
In an age where beautiful art in anime movies catches the eyes of audiences, "Fireworks" is not unlike other anime movies in this sense. The reason why I had watched this movie in the first place was because of the art in the trailer alongside the song by Daoko.

Nevertheless, the entire movie plays as if someone got excited over the age of eye-catching anime movies that they forgot to actually include actual content alongside the good soundtrack and beautiful art.

If you're just in it to see a slideshow of pretty CG alongside soothing music - I'd say to go watch it. But if read more
Oct 7, 2017
treedude (All reviews)
I think there's a couple misunderstandings about this film that have cropped up in the anime community. No, it's not a perfect film. Far from it actually. But i've seen some criticisms that i simply can't understand:

"the film was anti-climatic"

Everything ties up in the conclusion. They both understand that their relationship can't last and is destined for just this single night. Reliving those sequences of decisions would not change that and thus, accepting the result but appreciating the confidence that Norimichi in particular had to finally follow through. The film snapping back into reality after Norimichi's/Nazuno's fantasies transformed the world only served to emphasis that read more