Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 22, 2009 6:32 PM

Feb 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my god, I just watched this, I got goosebumps all over again just like back in 2007 when I watched GL for the first time. I was grinning like a fool for most of the end sequence.

I forgot how crazy and awesome Kamina was.
I forgot how sexy Yoko was.
I forgot how moe Nia was.
I forgot how Simon turns into an ultimate badass, even more so in the movie.

All in all, I came drills at the final attack.

BRING ON THE SECOND MOVIE GAINAX, I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT.

Apr 22, 2009 6:45 PM
Feb 2009
So did you see it raw or with subs? I haven't heard of a group planning on subbing it yet.
Apr 22, 2009 7:04 PM

Feb 2007
Talic said:
So did you see it raw or with subs? I haven't heard of a group planning on subbing it yet.

The new bits aren't exactly hard to grasp, I watched it RAW, I've seen the series enough times to know the plot haha.

Apr 22, 2009 8:15 PM

Jan 2009
Fucking awesome is the better words to say about this movie!
Apr 22, 2009 10:42 PM

Mar 2009
Subs NAO!

There raws are out now (not just the ISO). One has 6ch. Yay.

EDIT:

It seems that Nyoron is already doing it. However, I prefer BSS' any day.
Unregistered00Apr 22, 2009 10:45 PM
Apr 23, 2009 7:37 AM

Jan 2008
So its just the same as the series or what? Any differences at all? Better animation? New scenes? Anything?

If there's no changes other than some scenes left out to speed up the pace then it's not worth a watch at all.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 23, 2009 8:21 AM

Jan 2008
So... lots of reused material which was to be expected. New scene at the beginning was fitting as an intro of things to come. There are some serious problems with pacing. At some point lots of material is squeezed into few minutes. Rossiu's character is not developed, same as many more.

New material, especially at the end is nice but nothing exceptional. It serves mainly to condense some fights into one, nothing more. If only had they squeezed some episodes form TV better it coul have been much better. ED is great, however.

Overall, 8/10

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 23, 2009 12:06 PM
Oct 2007
kashim said:
So... lots of reused material which was to be expected. New scene at the beginning was fitting as an intro of things to come. There are some serious problems with pacing. At some point lots of material is squeezed into few minutes. Rossiu's character is not developed, same as many more.

New material, especially at the end is nice but nothing exceptional. It serves mainly to condense some fights into one, nothing more. If only had they squeezed some episodes form TV better it coul have been much better. ED is great, however.

Overall, 8/10
100% agree with you. The Kittan and Rossiu parts were: "Oh hai, I'm Kittan" -- "Oh hai, I'm Rossiu" and on to the next battle -_-. Milking, seriously. If you wanted to rewatch TTGL like me and hoped the movie would be a good replacement for it, it's not. Still good because... it is TTGL.
Apr 23, 2009 12:25 PM

Jan 2008
Yeah, guess I'm not watching it then. Hate these shitty recap movies.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 23, 2009 12:30 PM
Oct 2007
The second half was pretty good, though. The movie does a great job at handling Simon, Nia and Yoko's dramas. You can really feel their struggle and the direction is very cinematic. It's worth a watch for the final 40 minutes alone.
Apr 23, 2009 1:03 PM

Sep 2007
They totally rushed through the movie. If they're going to make a recap movie, they should at least make it completely new, and not just reuse scenes from the show. It just feels disjointed doing that.

They made Kittan and Rossiu seem like completely insignificant characters with their less-than-a-minute introduction, seeing as how they'll be pretty important characters later on not to mention the relationship with Simon and Nia was barreled right through in about 10 minutes.

They at least combined all three of the battles with the generals into one new battle... even if some scenes were still reused. I wanted to see more of Ariadne vs Yoko though; that seemed like a good fight. I lul'd when Yoko's top came off.
Apr 23, 2009 1:26 PM

Apr 2007
eh. I was about to dl this but then I read this thread.

no, ty.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Apr 23, 2009 2:13 PM

Feb 2009
I was syked about this movie but i've been watchin it for an hour and have seen prolly not even one minute of new footage
Apr 23, 2009 2:43 PM

May 2008
The good: Reminded me of how much more awesome the first eight episodes are than the rest of the series.
The bad: I would've rather just watched the first eight episodes as opposed to cut up versions of them.
The good: The finale was way better than episodes 10-14.
The bad: Leaving the Lazengann fight until the next film is RAGE inducing.

So in the end it basically reminded me why I like Gurren Lagann, but it didn't do a whole lot more than that. Simon's heroic manning up from episode 11 being re-animated was awesome though.
Apr 23, 2009 6:27 PM

Dec 2008
wasnt worth the 2 hours watching
Apr 23, 2009 8:49 PM

Jan 2008
Mixed feelings about this. It's awesome watching it again but just recycling old scenes is a bit disappointing. Yes there where some new scenes (which were pretty awesome) but not enough :/
Apr 23, 2009 11:20 PM

Sep 2008
I just finished watching it subbed. I loved the series, but the movie was only so so for me. Even all the new footage just didn't seem right to me. I guess I was just expecting something way beyond my expectations.
Apr 24, 2009 12:57 AM

Jul 2007
Ended up watching it since my friend had already downloaded it & was going to play it on the TV.
I wasn't really expecting anything more than a spruced up recap from this movie but some of the scenes were just too awesome for words.

The ending was simply spectacular. I was fired up and wanted to watch the rest : J
Apr 24, 2009 1:45 AM

Dec 2007
was worth the watch for the final battle.

Sure it was overkill, but isn't that the point of the super robot genre?
Apr 24, 2009 4:42 AM

Jun 2008
HOLY SHIT
Apr 24, 2009 6:39 AM
Mar 2008
Epic, don't care if it was rushed, they got the important epic stuff in, and they changed some stuff which made it awesome, bad development and no Forehead Boy or Kittan, but still epic. This is aimed to people who had watched the series, why do you want a complete recap? I'd watch the series if I want that.
Apr 24, 2009 7:11 AM

Mar 2008
don't know why you people are bashing it, it is simply AWESOME in the 2nd half
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2009 7:25 AM

Mar 2008
That was a suprisingly not thrilling end battle.
Seriously, Gurren Lagann should be better than this.
Series tops it by far.
Apr 24, 2009 8:22 AM

Sep 2008
Wow that was OMGWTFBBQWOOOOT

EPIC!!!

Apr 24, 2009 9:14 AM

Apr 2007
Snooooooooore not worth watching it straight 2 hours but skip through it.

Apr 24, 2009 10:43 AM

Jun 2008
It was very much worth watching the movie just for this

http://hisazin-up.dyndns.org/up/src/92794.gif
Apr 24, 2009 10:59 AM

Feb 2009
I dont think it was worth it at all sitting thru and hour and a half of stuff i already saw ( and i mean recently cause i just rewatched the series with a friend) just to equate to new footage that prolly isnt even the length of a single regular episode i would be pissed as hell if i actually payed to see this in a theatre
Apr 24, 2009 12:09 PM

Jan 2008
what was the point of turning i fairly mediocre TV series into a bad movie, uhh what a waste of time, serious pacing problems, awkward character developments due to that and more than anything it was a fucking recap... >.>
Apr 24, 2009 1:47 PM

Jul 2008
so they only chnaged the end a bit. stil epic as ever imo, ofc it was extremely rushed but its fine this way imo. but is it just me or are most of the anime which make into movies recaps?

Apr 24, 2009 2:02 PM

Sep 2007
Not as awesome as I expected, and I missed Sorairo Days

Anyway, still a good movie considering the new footage at the start and the final fight

A few parts just seems weird though, I expected it to be a standalone movie (like Rebuild) where anyone can watch it before watching the series but it probably won't work.

Also, I thought there will be Lazengann FFFFFFFFF

7/10

PS: A better way to do this is split the movie into 4 (or 3) instead of 2 which makes everything extremely rushed. Just my 2 cent.
sHsIkuAApr 24, 2009 2:07 PM
Apr 24, 2009 2:17 PM

Jul 2007
Personally, I really enjoyed it. The ending was really awesome, and I like how it introduced Kittan and Rossiu to be honest. It showed things happened, and they met people. It's a movie afterall, so fitting it all doesn't really work. I like how it was basically a montage for it all.

I'm giving it a 9/10 since I haven't seen the series in a long time, and I have really poor memory so seeing stuff again didn't really bother me as much (don't get me wrong though, of course I still remember it all, but...)

Plus, again, it was worth it for the last 20 minutes or so. And after the ED was really cool too, seeing Lazengann inside Tepellin.
Apr 24, 2009 3:25 PM

Mar 2008
JinSaotome said:
Do people not read up on stuff before watching it? There was plenty of talk about how the movie was going to be a recap of the series and wasn't going to have that much new footage.

EXACTLY MY POINT!

Just because Rebuild of Eva is like 70% new stuff doesn't mean TTGL movie is the same (consider the time they have to prepare TTGL movie with Rebuild).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2009 3:37 PM

Jul 2008
While I knew what I was walking into, I still wasn't quite prepared for what I received. I enjoyed it, but I was incredibly unhappy with the way Kittan and Rossiu were introduced. Sure, they don't play a massive role in the first arc, but in the second film they'll be primary characters. Having a bit more of an introduction wouldn't have hurt.

I've also got to admit that I didn't enjoy just how much rehashed video there was. Now, I knew what to expect, but I was hoping for more than 20 minutes at the end, and a little half way through or so. Hell, I was actually really hoping they'd reanimate first episode introducing Kittan in the series. The one notorious for looking like shit, but that didn't even happen.

This said however, they still handled Yoko and Simon quite well in the film, as well as giving Nia what seemed to be a bit larger of a role. The funny thing is, I prefer the way she was introduced here as well, especially too the Dai Gurren-dan. It certainly seems like a good fit for her personality. I've also got to say I felt Viral's hatred towards the humans in the end of the film far more than I ever did in the series, so that was a plus.

Easily the climax of the movie was Dai-Gun Doten-Kaizan and the battle that came along it. Not only did Yoko's top get ripped off, GAR Simon was GAR climbing Cytomander's Ganmen with nothing but a drill. To top this, the new animation was beautiful, and they managed to make what was arguably my favorite scene out of the series into something even more awe inspiring. Sure, it served little purpose other than getting the fights with the three commanders out of the way, but it was ridiculously awesome.

All-in-all, it was entertaining, but by no means a substitution for the series. It gets a 6 or 7/10 from me. I'll figure it out later.
BakayaroApr 24, 2009 3:40 PM

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 24, 2009 3:39 PM
Dec 2008
Obviously not as good as the series, as expected.

Tits, shower scene.

Tits.
Apr 24, 2009 3:39 PM

Jul 2008
Yuruku said:
Tits

Damn hair dude, damn hair.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 24, 2009 3:40 PM
Dec 2008
Bakayaro said:
Yuruku said:
Tits

Damn hair dude, damn hair.

At least it was red hair.

Almost forgiven.
Apr 24, 2009 5:54 PM

Feb 2008
Yoko got some breast reduction surgery!? ^^

Epic, just like TTGL is supposed to be. If I had to choose between this and the series for rewatching I'd probably choose this. I'd love to see this in a movie theater. First time viewer should stick to the series.

Were those 6 girls at the end reporting to the Spiral King a new addition? I don't remember them...
Apr 24, 2009 6:33 PM

May 2007
kuroshiroi said:

Were those 6 girls at the end reporting to the Spiral King a new addition? I don't remember them...

They were the dolls Lord Genome had. They never really did anything in the series except turn into drills which went into Lazengann or something of that nature.

Also I think this movie's enjoyability will vary depending on how the series was for the person and how it is now. If the show is completely dead for you (ie fandom killed it for you) then just watch the last like 40 minutes of it. Otherwise, it was a nice rewatch. I enjoyed it, though I do dislike the many of the reused scenes regardless of what people say. Was hoping for some scenes to be redone, but oh well.

Ending before the fight with Lord Genome was annoying, but they made up for that with Nia keeping her hair. I hope there's some reanimation of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Vs Anti-Spiral.
Apr 24, 2009 9:20 PM

Mar 2008
I'd like to hear what a neutral party has to say about this movie. I have a feeling that some parts get too random to understand for the non-initiated.
Apr 24, 2009 9:50 PM

Jan 2009
30 mins till my download is finished. This will catch up till... Simon grow up? Or? I can't fucking wait :/

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 25, 2009 12:29 AM

Jan 2009
Well this was just a retelling with some few new scenes :/ nothing new, but those lasts scenes in the fight against the 4 generals was just fucking epic.

Other than that somethig failed here, and it was the absence of Sorairo Days and Mina No Peace. The most awesome soundtrack in the whole show -in my opinion-. Anyway the flawless scene where Simon shouts Kamina's battlecry wasn't that fantastic as in the series, but again, and as i thought, the reason was just because of Sorairo Days.

I hope the Lagann-Hen movie includes them, otherwise it will be fail.

8/10 for me. I would rather to see the series all over again.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 25, 2009 4:10 AM

Oct 2007
I think that for people who didn't watch the tv series it would be quite confusing, because there were no explanations as to why almost everything happened, and it was too fast-paced, especially at the start. Or maybe that's just me? :/
Apr 25, 2009 4:54 AM

Nov 2007
Gets an 8/10 for the final fight. That was EPIC.
The rest was pretty fast, and not that in depth but I enjoyed it since it's been over a year since I saw the series.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Apr 25, 2009 5:27 AM
Jul 2008
This was excellent, good recap episode throughout the movie (except the 3 general fight). I liked the newly added scenes near the end, but the ending was somewhat disappointing. I was surprised that they didn't at least the Spiral King arc in that one movie (oh well a way for them to make more money for the next movie release), but ended right after the four general died. I loved how they incorporated the destruction of the 3 remaining generals in one go.

Looking forward to the next movie.
Apr 25, 2009 11:42 AM

Feb 2008
The movie kicked ass!

It reminded me why I love this series so much.
Apr 25, 2009 12:07 PM
Dec 2007
Hmmm first I feel like I must comment on the BSS sub. It's a strange choice that they made to actually reuse the official BEI subs instead of making their own and I think there's something twisted in seeing a fansub team litterally stealing official editors' subtitles (I know it's just a bit more illegal than it already was, but it really shocked me), and on top of it, the new original scenes are not really well subtitled with some grammar mistakes and such, so I didn't really enjoy the fansub part. But nevermind it, I didn't pay to watch it anyway and I'll buy the final version when it's released in my country (or let's say I'll get my hands on it as it seems more appropriate in this case ;)).

Apart from that, this movie was really strange. I got the feeling that it was just an editing of the series with some parts haphazardously put together without much time and explanation put on it. Consequently, it felt rushed and the purpose of the characters was a bit blank, the scenario felt weird and I don't even speak about the narration which was clearly weaker than what we could expect. And the worst of all I think, is that because of the very structure of the movie, the focus of Gurren Lagann shifted from an emotionnal/thematic point of view to a simple scenaristic point of view, which was not a good idea in the end. Oh and merging all the episodes of the second part of the series in one was not a good idea either (and where did the eyecatches go after the first thirty minutes of the movie, did they forget them or were the 3 or 4 that we saw simply there to compensate for the lack of good transitions in the plot?).

Don't misunderstand me, the direction and animation were still great and some parts were as impressive as ever, but overall, it lacked in consistence and in variations (the original series being largely based on its great sense of rythm, varying from boringly slow to hysterically dynamic in less than a minute sometimes). The series wasn't perfect, but it had such fantastic qualities that it totally grew out of its original basis, and this movie had a hard time doing the same thing because it tried to tell and do too much in a limited time. And simply failed. It doesn't help that the first and second parts of the series are globally less interesting than the third part overall, so we don't have the best parts of the show in this Guren-hen movie.

Concerning the new parts now, I must admit that I found the new dub of the movie FAR below that of the series, but that's not a surprise since Gunbuster's new dub for the movie was also far less interesting than the original one. I don't really know why, but the voice actors simply felt less inspired than in the series, maybe they were less directed (or more?), but anyway, it was less intense and excentric, so a bit disturbing for me. The new animation was not really good either and the new parts (except for the intro taken from the Parallel Works) were very dispensable, some parts were even quite ugly. What's strange is that the movie has been made more than one year after the series, with a much higher budget, and still isn't better animation-wise.

Finally, the only good addition of the movie was the remake of the Simon speech at the end with "happily ever after" on the background, it was VERY impressive. Then, we have a mushy super robot scene and that's all. Pretty dissapointing movie overall, even more dissapointing than the recent Gunbuster movie by GAINAX. Still good (mainly because the original material was fantastic) but it could clearly have been better. Not a "must watch" at all, stick to the series if you can.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 25, 2009 3:17 PM

Nov 2007
It was alright, I thought the entire movie was going to be something different, totally didn't expect a majority of it was a retelling. Ending was adequate, 8/10 nonetheless.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Apr 25, 2009 6:15 PM

Aug 2008
It was great, but it just doesn't compare to the original series.
The best part was when Yoko's top came off :D 8/10
Apr 25, 2009 7:09 PM

Apr 2007
I expected some recap and still loved it. Kamina~ :3

Though I do have some mixed feeling about the end. A few scenes were epic and well put together, Yoko vs Adiane for example, but the rest felt sloppy and rushed. I'm so happy my favorite single, 'Happily Ever After', was included and no matter what I'm rating this a 9/10. Of course it's not as great as the series :P
Apr 25, 2009 9:49 PM

Apr 2009
I loved it... obviously if you didn't see the series a lot of things would be unanswered. They did drop a few scenes like Kamina's father's remains... which was left as just him uncovering a skeleton during the first fight with Viral... and a few various "small" things I would say that wasn't too important. Kamina's death still got me and Simon's speech was still epic.

I already knew the movie would be a recap, but the condensed fight with the generals was still pretty over the top epic... and there were still enough "fresh" scenes to keep me wanting to watch more. Still I wish the fight between Yoko and Adiane was longer, because it made Yoko that much more bad ass now after that hand-to-hand fight, she really didn't get that much show time during the series IMO. Plus Yoko has her own Gunmen now!?!!?!

I think it was done well, can't wait for the next movie!
OmegaoverideApr 25, 2009 9:57 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one who thinks gurren lagann is a piece of crap?

Redassassin2077 - Mar 5, 2017

15 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 4, 4:49 AM

» Is this any different?

zumac - Apr 20, 2017

3 by zumac »»
Apr 20, 2017 8:26 AM

» DVD Release Date

dtshyk - Mar 13, 2009

28 by 5layer »»
Apr 23, 2009 7:00 PM

» First Scenes Making Their Way Online

Islaya - Nov 12, 2008

4 by Kyora »»
Mar 8, 2009 11:47 PM

» Gurren Lagann Movie SPOILERS

parallel_worlds - Sep 6, 2008

17 by Mercfh »»
Oct 24, 2008 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.