Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 16, 2013 9:18 PM

Oct 2012
Lol Tomoe
Ohana x Kou!!!
Actually I'm really disappointed... where's Ohana's "Bonboru"? xD
Well, I'm glad I could hear Minchi's Hobiron
Also, poor Ren-san in the past

nano.RIPE yay!
I want the ED Illustration as my wallpaper

Wow P.A. Works wow~
I'm waiting for Utopia :)
"Signature removed"
Nov 19, 2013 12:46 AM

Oct 2012
Oh Tomoe, as always her anger is so funny xD

Awww.. This movie is so sweet!!
Where's Bonboru? Kou x Ohana moments?
I just realized I'll miss this again :(
"Signature removed"
Nov 19, 2013 8:44 AM

Apr 2012
perfect characters perfect story perfect anime perfect movie
Nov 21, 2013 5:34 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Satsuki is such a fantastic character. She has Ohana's energy but with a bit of an edge, she really makes for a compelling protagonist. I wish we could have had a bit more of her story.

Like I wrote in one of the chapter discussions for Hanasaku Iroha TV series, this is slice of life done right. Interesting characters with a story to tell, gorgeous visuals and animation.

I want an OVA with Tomoe and Ren finally hooking up!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 24, 2013 8:17 AM

Oct 2008
I don't think a large amount of people who read this will agree to what I'm trying to say, but first: Am I supposed to feel sympathy for that bitch of a mother? Am I expected to forget how rotten she is as a mother (and disrespectful towards her lover as a widow)?

And what's so wrong with clinging to the past I wonder? The amount of respect and sympathy I bear for someone for clinging to the past is far more greater than someone who "can't lose" to life or to the past or to whatever.
This is not only about real life but also about creating a fictive text. I've really had enough of this overused governing idea of not being tied down by the past, written in texts but also projected to real life as if it's the right thing to do even though the only thing it's good for is feeding the illusion of productive human beings. As if what Satsuki does in the end is a good thing.
Nov 24, 2013 9:40 PM

Mar 2012
akai-kitsune said:
I don't think a large amount of people who read this will agree to what I'm trying to say, but first: Am I supposed to feel sympathy for that bitch of a mother? Am I expected to forget how rotten she is as a mother (and disrespectful towards her lover as a widow)?

And what's so wrong with clinging to the past I wonder? The amount of respect and sympathy I bear for someone for clinging to the past is far more greater than someone who "can't lose" to life or to the past or to whatever.
This is not only about real life but also about creating a fictive text. I've really had enough of this overused governing idea of not being tied down by the past, written in texts but also projected to real life as if it's the right thing to do even though the only thing it's good for is feeding the illusion of productive human beings. As if what Satsuki does in the end is a good thing.

I know where you are coming from. I really do dislike Satsuki. I liked her chasing after her dream but the sudden kiss with the cameraman was... strange to say the least. Though her rejection of her mother was a bit cruel, I find the worst part is her horrible treatment to Ohana as a child; it truly scarred her for life and made her lose any sense of tact. It not only tramples on her own dream and her child's future but also her memory of her late husband.

Well I do love Ohana as a character though, being able to become such a flower despite such a mother ( though she is a bit loud ). 9/10. Hopes for an epilogue for their reunion at Kissuiso
Nov 26, 2013 9:57 PM
Oct 2008
I went with in with low expectations but this movie was great
Nov 29, 2013 5:20 PM

Feb 2012
Great themes, splendid visuals and backgrounds, but poor execution.

Half of the time is spent on melodrama and Ohana's characterization is really flat just like season one. The other characters, whose two-dimensional traits were apparent but forgivable in season one, fell into a abysmal trap just as like the case of Ohana. Not only poorly conceived, Ohana's naïveté made worse the histrionic scenes, completely undermining the desired effects. Melodrama queen should star in an opera sometime, then maybe she'd *shine*

Satsuki's romance, albeit bad, was fairly befitting and somewhat realistic. I mean, the part with her bra and that whole ordeal was more than unnecessary, but it was delivered well afterwards. It felt nice, for completely wrong reasons.

The seasonal backgrounds were nicely done. The only justice P.A.Works ever does, as usual.
Nov 30, 2013 9:43 PM

May 2013
D'aww. A really sweet movie, showing the relationship between the mother and her precious child, an awesome bond between the both! Loved it :D
Dec 16, 2013 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
Very beautiful movie. Now we know that "Ohana" is Family in Hawaii. :3 Pretty interesting, but I really like a story between Satsuki and her husband though.
Dec 16, 2013 4:02 AM

Jun 2011
Do all the husbands of the women in that family die young?

Looks like our poor little Kou might not have that much longer to live then.
Dec 18, 2013 7:32 AM

Sep 2011
Hallelujah for more Ohana! :3
The whole movie reminded me again about why Ohana is my #1 favorite female character, and overall #2 favorite character. She is just amazing in every damn aspect. I love her ;_;
Also baby Ohana was so cute :3
Anyone else notice how Ohana's flower hairpin always has more petals while she grows up (3 as a baby, 4 as a kid, 5 now).
And I really liked how we got to know that her name wasn't just because of 'hana' as flower, but also because of its Hawaiian meaning of 'family'. I already knew it meant that (thanks to Lilo and Stich :D) when I watched the series, but it was nice to see that the authors thought of both meanings together since it was already a given.

This was a really great movie. Someone already said, but I agree that this could have been really great as an arc in the middle of the series (instead of the good, but not as great arcs as the ones in the first half and near the end).
Oh well, it doesn't change the fact that this movie was wonderful.

I'm really glad everyone got their own (and enough) screentime.
I also really liked both the past and the present half. I'm glad we got to know more about Satsuki and why she is the way she is. I still don't like her ways as a parent though, but at least I'm more understanding towards her now.
And we finally got to know Ohana's dad. Satsuki's love for him might have been a bit sudden, but it was really cute nevertheless (especially that whole kiss scene :D ). I'm sad though that we didn't get to see how they met up in Tokyo.
The fanservice might have been a bit too much, but somehow it still felt subtle and acceptable in its own way.
Also eyegasm thanks to P.A. Works again o_O The artwork was so beautiful, just like always.

I need a second season now ;_; I'm gonna miss all of them again...
Dec 29, 2013 8:34 PM

Jul 2009
That was an awesome addition to the tv series, 9/10 for almost making me cry during the rooftop scene
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Dec 31, 2013 9:11 AM

Dec 2008
I'm surprised! Considering the type of woman Ohana's mom turned out to be, I was sure her father was someone that just "humped and dumped" her. Turns out he was a that photographer and he was married to her mom. I would like to know how he died, though.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 6, 2014 3:38 PM

Mar 2012
Well that was a pleasant surprise. It dealt with some of the familial themes of the original series in a new light. It wasn't particularly deep or profound, but it was warm and gentle, and I enjoyed it. I would have liked to see more of Satsuki's story though. I like Ohana, but she already got the full extent of the TV series to get development, and during her presence in the movie, her character didn't actually develop that much or benefit from the storyline. The little bits of Satsuki, on the other hand, put a new perspective on the Matsumae family. The segments on Satsuki and Ohana's father had the greatest impact on me in this movie, though I do like how the present-day Kissuisou storyline reinforced the themes developed from Satsuki's story. I also particularly enjoyed the bits on Minko and the idea of making food with people in mind. I just thought that was a nice touch and was handled well.

I'm kind of taken aback by how many people find Satsuki to be a terrible, unforgivable mother. Sure, she isn't exactly the greatest parent, but I've never thought of her actions as a parent atrocious or emotionally scarring by any means. I think most of the problems that arose between her and Ohana were their inability to understand each other and their situations. Satsuki has also made some rather poor decisions, but she still clearly cares for Ohana and means well in the end. Though she seem immature and seems to have a lack of a sense of responsibility, I really like her earnestness.
Jan 14, 2014 11:46 AM

Feb 2012
5/5, whaaa P.A. Works gj!
I'm still waiting for Utopia and hoping for 2nd season.
Jan 26, 2014 1:06 AM
Jul 2011
I really really want more of Ohana's father. I think they should do a special just about the father and the mother and what happened when she left to Tokyo. I think it would make a good love story. Also dad is really hot :>
Feb 2, 2014 8:02 PM

Feb 2012
Wonderful :)
Feb 5, 2014 11:26 PM

Jan 2008
Gentle and heartwarming movie. It's nice to have a glimpse of Satsuki's life. Satsuki is a bit irresponsible for a mother, leaving Ohana to her own devices but she do cares towards her daughter. I wonder how the husband died though. I'd love to see a little bit of romantic scenes of Ohana's parents before they got married, probably in OVA, since it doesn't fit in this melodramatic movie.
Apr 15, 2014 2:20 PM

Feb 2011
Finally!! i have caught up with this. It's a really nice peaceful movie to watch :). Everything in this movie is just absolutely beautiful. I'm really loving the animation visuals and scenery everything looks top notch quality.
May 27, 2014 12:10 AM

May 2010
Wonderful movie to watch! I love how they were able to weave most of the characters into the story. I also liked how they brought up why Ohana was named Ohana. When I first heard the name I had Lilo and Stitch flashbacks, and it turns out I was partly right! (I knew it meant flower in Japanese too though).

Anyway, I'm really sad to see Hanasaku Iroha end. :( It's been a great journey, and bravo to PA Works for making great anime!
Jul 3, 2014 4:34 PM

Dec 2012
Great short movie, I forgot just how great Hanasaku Iroha was. How I wish there were more slice of life like this. And is it me or does Ohana's dad never age? Now I'm even more hyped for Glasslip, PA Works, don't let me down!

8/10
Jul 5, 2014 4:43 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

The time to flow back to the Kissuisou, fans will be delighted, but not only.
Small pearl going to add more points to the TV series.
Plot and narrative principle as well grafted vein from the TV series, fans of the genre will go into raptures Slice of Life, as it happened to me, but also those looking for a graphic rich in detail and well made, will be happy to look at this movie.
Drawings and animations, excellent, a real joy. How I missed the characters of this show!
A real gem that I will never forget.
I hope in future there is any other projects in the pipeline for this brend.
Final rating of 8.5/10! We almost 9/10!
Jul 31, 2014 10:08 AM
Jun 2014
Loved Ohana's mother in this movie. She and I have the same dreams, I won't to get as far away as I can from my cancerous family and move to a big city.
Oct 4, 2014 3:58 PM

Oct 2007
If you are a fan of Ohana's mother past then you are in for the fanservice. This movie really show that Satsuki isn't just some brat who doesn't understand her own action, instead, the movie show the opposition.

"Like mother, like daughter" I think this tell the perfect story of this series.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Nov 16, 2014 5:30 AM

May 2011
this movie is a trip back to a wonderful series i really enjoyed back then,
its really nice to know ohana's mom past life,how she struggles,fall in love

makes me wonder if i do have to view my family differently now..

great movie,thoroughly amazing to see again great characters from hanasaku iroha,this series always has a special place in my tiny little heart <3
Dec 25, 2014 8:35 AM

Apr 2009
P.A. is at it's best on HanaIro. 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2015 6:11 PM

Apr 2007
Never would I have connected Ohana's name to the Hawaiian meaning. In fact it never crossed my mind until her father mentioned it. 'doh

Satsuki will always be that terrible mother, but I think she's an entertaining character and it was nice to finally get more to her story, other than Ohana's point of view.
May 25, 2015 7:26 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
I would've liked to see more from the relationship between Satsuki and Ohana's father, but I still enjoyed this very much. I got my fill of Tomoe and Nakochi which were my fav characters.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

May 25, 2015 8:03 PM

Jun 2013
Such a great movie! I missed these characters so much :')
Jun 21, 2015 5:07 AM

Jun 2009
This was friggin awesome? Why haven't I watched this sooner? 8/10 Ohana love
Jul 23, 2015 1:42 PM

Feb 2015
it was a fun watching Hanasaku Iroha ...i'll miss it.
Jul 30, 2015 12:30 PM

May 2013
I think the movie really complimented the series well regarding Ohana and the troubles she faces growing up. It was nice because she was able to relate to Nako and her mom's past.

I really would have liked to see more of Satsuki's and Ohana's fathers relationship... what happened when they met in Tokyo, how did they end up together? It's really sad that he passed away shortly after Ohana was born... I'd like to know more about their back story.. and they really could have easily incorporated that in this film with a few scenes..

Overall I really enjoyed it.. it was nice to see all the characters together.

I hope this isn't the last we see of Hanasaku Iroha :(
Aug 3, 2015 11:52 PM

Jul 2012
It was nice seeing what Ohana's dad was like and finding out more about Satsuki's past. Seems like this will most likely be the last revisit with all these characters. It's been such a great series :) Gonna miss everyone!
Sep 12, 2015 10:23 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
10/10 for me.

I enjoyed the Satsuki and Father flashbacks. The more you know, Ohana's name coming from Hawaii. Would have been nice if they showed more of Ohana's father.

What I also liked was how mature Nako-chi is. She's such a hard worker, she still has to go home and tend to her brothers and sisters.
Was I the only one who though Mana got into a car accident and was the reason there was a power outage?

Nov 17, 2015 4:21 PM

May 2015
Wonderful movie, loved every little bit of it. Very heartwarming and it definitely hit a mark too... 10/10.

Jan 10, 2016 9:22 PM
May 2015
I just want to know why Shijima husbands die early.
Will Ko-chan die early too.
Mar 27, 2016 2:40 PM

Aug 2010
This was such a sweet, heartwarming piece.
I was tearing up the whole movie... I didn't realize I missed this show's atmosphere and characters so much.

Anyway, I'm so glad we got to know more about Ohana's mom. So happy to know who Ohana's father was!
The last bit with Satsuki running with Ohana in arms laughing and smiling was so moving.
The same with the scene where Nako finally finds her little sister and Ohana starts cyring... ugh, the feels. I really need to re-watch the anime.
Oct 27, 2016 6:45 AM

Dec 2014
I missed these characters so damn much. I get all warm and cozy inside when it comes to this show.

8/10
Oct 31, 2016 7:05 AM
Mar 2015
Why this anime and movie is so damn good and short.... I want more but well... not gonna happen :(

11/10 or even more. gonna miss it.
Nov 11, 2016 6:56 PM

Aug 2012
Hanasaku Iroha was one of the first Anime I watched when I started watching anime in 2012, and didn't realize they had put a movie out too. Just finished it and thought it was excellent.
Jan 5, 2017 4:33 PM
失礼、噛みました

Oct 2016
Whats the song in the background in the beginning?

**Edit**
Nvm, found it:
Hanasaku Iroha OST - Bishou no Kuuki - 微笑の空気
z1RJan 5, 2017 4:42 PM
Jun 16, 2017 11:46 PM

Apr 2009
Minko is still a bitch in this.
Sep 8, 2017 6:33 AM

Jul 2017
This stupid movie made me cry. I love it lmao.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Jan 24, 2018 12:33 AM
Mar 2010
I can't believe I watched the anime 6 years ago when it was airing and only found out there was a movie now, a pleasant surprise.
Dec 7, 2018 3:51 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great and a very touching movie!

It’s nice to finally see things a lot more from Satsuki’s side and more from Ohana’s father. I sure didn’t expect that there’d be such an age difference between her parents though, but it made for some interesting turn out of events, nor did I expect Satsuki to pull off that surprising smooch. ‘Ohana’ meaning family in Hawaiian though was really considerate and beautiful name, I must say!

Lots of drama in the episode aside from this, just as what you’d expect from this show. Nako sure had it rough this episode, she really does act a little too mature for her age and seeing Ohana cry in place of her was heartrending. I hope her family circumstances gets better from here on though, it’s onlt about time until she breaks down otherwise. Minko and Ohana too had a few difficulties of their own but it was nice to see their little conversation in the end there, Minko really never changes and Ohana is just as blunt as ever. Tohru’s, “Are all girls this excited at this time of the day here?”, got me lol’d. Tomoe is still the Maiden in distress and it made for some really hilarious moments. Mr Ren’s attempt to bring out a new look only to be rejected by Tomoe on moment’s notice was cho-very hilarious. It was nice to see a shot of him from the past, though. Madam Manager is still the same as ever, but it was nice to see a new side(relatively speaking) of her in the old days. Satsuki and Madam Manager really didn’t along well though, I must say. Lots of harsh comments and whatnot, I sure didn’t expect their relationship to be this bad! It was nice to see the different emotions arise in Ohana while reading through the Beanman’s old memos, things were really tough for her too. That final scene of Satsuki and Ohana, and Minko running was really well directed, and the final song was really soothing to hear too as it really blended in with the moment brilliantly.

All in all, an amazing movie! I’ll surely miss this series a lot, especially more after watching this movie! Overall, I think I might have enjoyed this movie over the tv series but I’m sure I wouldn’t have been this enthralled if I were to watch this first before the tv series.

Solid 8/10! I hope to see more of this series, but I’m sure it’s all well over now. ~_~

Another P.A. Works, another Great show! I’m really starting to become a fan of the Studio’s original works now, hopefully the currently airing Irodoku will go down as one of them!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 3, 2019 2:45 PM

May 2014
A great little companion to a fantastic series.

MiraiLink said:
Minko is still a bitch in this.

Yep. Her character is the shows major, possibly only, flaw for me. Extremely unlikable and is just a straight up bitch all the time for no good reason. Little to no growth.
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Mar 8, 2019 8:36 PM

Jul 2016
So, you're telling me that the studio didn't add this beautiful insight of Ohana's bond with Satsuki in the main series and instead of that, they decided to focus more on Minko's crush on Tooru? Honestly, that was a really bad decision.

Anyways, this definitely was what I was looking for when I started watching Hanasaku Iroha, with main focus on the importance of family relationships/bonds instead of pointless romantic arcs featuring characters I couldn't care less.

This movie/long special also made me look at Satsuki with different eyes now. I'm sure she struggled a lot after her husband died and despite all that, she still managed to raise Ohana on her own. Yeah, she still shows that irresponsible side of her personality at times but after seeing her past, I can't be mad at her.

On another note, Nako finally received the so much needed focus she deserved. The side story with her and her little sister sure was sweet and heartwarming to see and I also must say that I felt a bit emotional when Ohana started crying. The way Nako showed the maturity Ohana wished she had and the way she resembled a better mother figure for Ohana than her own mother was something really touching to see as well.

All that said, one minor thing I didn't like was the transitions between past and present scenes. It felt a bit confusing for moments but other than that, the storyline was well handled.
Minko was also rather tamed in the movie which was honestly a great thing since I really hated her during the main series.

All in all, It was a very heartwarming story with a really satisfying conclusion and great development for characters such as Ohana, Nako and especially Satsuki. 8/10
SouthRzVaMar 8, 2019 8:42 PM
Mar 27, 2019 10:07 PM

Feb 2019
SouthRzVa said:

Anyways, this definitely was what I was looking for when I started watching Hanasaku Iroha, with main focus on the importance of family relationships/bonds instead of pointless romantic arcs featuring characters I couldn't care less.

It's either ironic that they highlighted that Ohana's name means family, or apropos, because after watching the show and this movie, she was the only one who really seemed to put family first.

Sui was so worried about people thinking she couldn't run the inn after her husband's death that she neglected her kids and apparently expected Satsuki to take care of Enishi. Of course not only did this attitude push Satsuki to run away from her, but when Satsuki faced the same hardship of being widowed, her own pride got in the way of doing what was best for her daughter. When she realized that her mother had the mentality of "I won't let anyone say I couldn't hack it" she in turn adopted that mentality herself and turned away from her family and possibly financial stability, to go and try to raise her daughter alone, when she didn't have to. All of this so she wouldn't have to "go crawling back to her mother". Then she tried to raise Ohana on that same concept..."don't depend on anyone, do it all yourself". All the while, Satsuki was depending on Ohana to do all of the cooking and housework, while she worked at her job as a fraud.

Enishi too seemed to have that mentality. He did everything to try and prove that he would be just as good as Satsuki.

What a truly dysfunctional family. I can only hope that Sui's husband and Satsuki's husband would have disapproved of the way their wives decided to divorce themselves from familial bonds when "raising" their kids.

Which reminds me of Nako's parents having 4 kids and then foisting the responsibility of raising 3 them on Nako. It's not like they were even that busy with their jobs, because one scene from the original show had Nako cooking dinner while looking after the kids and her parents were just having some nonsense debate in the next room.

If Minko is to be believed, which as much as she exaggerates, I am not sure how much she is to be believed, her parents disowned her because she wanted to become a chef.
Aug 16, 2019 6:37 AM

Feb 2014
So this movie was a spinoff eh? It takes place in between after the marriage and before the closing. I really like how the story delves into two different arcs and how the journal portrays life into it. A solid conclusion.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Question about Ohana's father.

_Alchemist - Jul 4, 2014

4 by Maggot_Brain »»
Mar 3, 2018 5:56 PM

» Teaser

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2012

11 by SeaJaeger »»
Aug 30, 2013 9:26 PM

Poll: » Thoughts on this?

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2012

15 by Soren »»
Aug 25, 2013 10:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.