Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 11, 2016 6:56 PM

Aug 2012
Hanasaku Iroha was one of the first Anime I watched when I started watching anime in 2012, and didn't realize they had put a movie out too. Just finished it and thought it was excellent.
Jan 5, 2017 4:33 PM
失礼、噛みました

Oct 2016
Whats the song in the background in the beginning?

**Edit**
Nvm, found it:
Hanasaku Iroha OST - Bishou no Kuuki - 微笑の空気
z1RJan 5, 2017 4:42 PM
Jun 16, 2017 11:46 PM

Apr 2009
Minko is still a bitch in this.
Sep 8, 2017 6:33 AM

Jul 2017
This stupid movie made me cry. I love it lmao.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Jan 24, 2018 12:33 AM
Mar 2010
I can't believe I watched the anime 6 years ago when it was airing and only found out there was a movie now, a pleasant surprise.
Dec 7, 2018 3:51 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great and a very touching movie!

It’s nice to finally see things a lot more from Satsuki’s side and more from Ohana’s father. I sure didn’t expect that there’d be such an age difference between her parents though, but it made for some interesting turn out of events, nor did I expect Satsuki to pull off that surprising smooch. ‘Ohana’ meaning family in Hawaiian though was really considerate and beautiful name, I must say!

Lots of drama in the episode aside from this, just as what you’d expect from this show. Nako sure had it rough this episode, she really does act a little too mature for her age and seeing Ohana cry in place of her was heartrending. I hope her family circumstances gets better from here on though, it’s onlt about time until she breaks down otherwise. Minko and Ohana too had a few difficulties of their own but it was nice to see their little conversation in the end there, Minko really never changes and Ohana is just as blunt as ever. Tohru’s, “Are all girls this excited at this time of the day here?”, got me lol’d. Tomoe is still the Maiden in distress and it made for some really hilarious moments. Mr Ren’s attempt to bring out a new look only to be rejected by Tomoe on moment’s notice was cho-very hilarious. It was nice to see a shot of him from the past, though. Madam Manager is still the same as ever, but it was nice to see a new side(relatively speaking) of her in the old days. Satsuki and Madam Manager really didn’t along well though, I must say. Lots of harsh comments and whatnot, I sure didn’t expect their relationship to be this bad! It was nice to see the different emotions arise in Ohana while reading through the Beanman’s old memos, things were really tough for her too. That final scene of Satsuki and Ohana, and Minko running was really well directed, and the final song was really soothing to hear too as it really blended in with the moment brilliantly.

All in all, an amazing movie! I’ll surely miss this series a lot, especially more after watching this movie! Overall, I think I might have enjoyed this movie over the tv series but I’m sure I wouldn’t have been this enthralled if I were to watch this first before the tv series.

Solid 8/10! I hope to see more of this series, but I’m sure it’s all well over now. ~_~

Another P.A. Works, another Great show! I’m really starting to become a fan of the Studio’s original works now, hopefully the currently airing Irodoku will go down as one of them!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 3, 2019 2:45 PM

May 2014
A great little companion to a fantastic series.

MiraiLink said:
Minko is still a bitch in this.

Yep. Her character is the shows major, possibly only, flaw for me. Extremely unlikable and is just a straight up bitch all the time for no good reason. Little to no growth.
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Mar 8, 2019 8:36 PM

Jul 2016
So, you're telling me that the studio didn't add this beautiful insight of Ohana's bond with Satsuki in the main series and instead of that, they decided to focus more on Minko's crush on Tooru? Honestly, that was a really bad decision.

Anyways, this definitely was what I was looking for when I started watching Hanasaku Iroha, with main focus on the importance of family relationships/bonds instead of pointless romantic arcs featuring characters I couldn't care less.

This movie/long special also made me look at Satsuki with different eyes now. I'm sure she struggled a lot after her husband died and despite all that, she still managed to raise Ohana on her own. Yeah, she still shows that irresponsible side of her personality at times but after seeing her past, I can't be mad at her.

On another note, Nako finally received the so much needed focus she deserved. The side story with her and her little sister sure was sweet and heartwarming to see and I also must say that I felt a bit emotional when Ohana started crying. The way Nako showed the maturity Ohana wished she had and the way she resembled a better mother figure for Ohana than her own mother was something really touching to see as well.

All that said, one minor thing I didn't like was the transitions between past and present scenes. It felt a bit confusing for moments but other than that, the storyline was well handled.
Minko was also rather tamed in the movie which was honestly a great thing since I really hated her during the main series.

All in all, It was a very heartwarming story with a really satisfying conclusion and great development for characters such as Ohana, Nako and especially Satsuki. 8/10
SouthRzVaMar 8, 2019 8:42 PM
Mar 27, 2019 10:07 PM

Feb 2019
SouthRzVa said:

Anyways, this definitely was what I was looking for when I started watching Hanasaku Iroha, with main focus on the importance of family relationships/bonds instead of pointless romantic arcs featuring characters I couldn't care less.

It's either ironic that they highlighted that Ohana's name means family, or apropos, because after watching the show and this movie, she was the only one who really seemed to put family first.

Sui was so worried about people thinking she couldn't run the inn after her husband's death that she neglected her kids and apparently expected Satsuki to take care of Enishi. Of course not only did this attitude push Satsuki to run away from her, but when Satsuki faced the same hardship of being widowed, her own pride got in the way of doing what was best for her daughter. When she realized that her mother had the mentality of "I won't let anyone say I couldn't hack it" she in turn adopted that mentality herself and turned away from her family and possibly financial stability, to go and try to raise her daughter alone, when she didn't have to. All of this so she wouldn't have to "go crawling back to her mother". Then she tried to raise Ohana on that same concept..."don't depend on anyone, do it all yourself". All the while, Satsuki was depending on Ohana to do all of the cooking and housework, while she worked at her job as a fraud.

Enishi too seemed to have that mentality. He did everything to try and prove that he would be just as good as Satsuki.

What a truly dysfunctional family. I can only hope that Sui's husband and Satsuki's husband would have disapproved of the way their wives decided to divorce themselves from familial bonds when "raising" their kids.

Which reminds me of Nako's parents having 4 kids and then foisting the responsibility of raising 3 them on Nako. It's not like they were even that busy with their jobs, because one scene from the original show had Nako cooking dinner while looking after the kids and her parents were just having some nonsense debate in the next room.

If Minko is to be believed, which as much as she exaggerates, I am not sure how much she is to be believed, her parents disowned her because she wanted to become a chef.
Aug 16, 2019 6:37 AM

Feb 2014
So this movie was a spinoff eh? It takes place in between after the marriage and before the closing. I really like how the story delves into two different arcs and how the journal portrays life into it. A solid conclusion.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 8, 2019 10:13 AM
Jul 2017
i just finished the tv series and planning to watch the movie ASAP on free time.
But still, just from the synopsis i feel disappointed.
the title really misleads me, "Home Sweet Home" made me thought that the movie will be a sequal of the tv series.
I was hoping for a sequel movie with timeskip to the point when Enishi decide to go back and reopen the Kissui Inn.
Together with the others, they try to rebuild the Kissui Inn.
I'm fine with the flashbacks on the movie, so that it will have longer duration.
It's just that i'm disappointed that this is mainly set when the Inn was still operating, not after it was closed.
May 11, 2020 11:17 PM

Dec 2010
When this series started I always wondered why "Ohana". I watched Lilo & Stitch as a child so I was wondering if it was a reference to that. Now it was finally said it came from the same Hawaiian meaning.

"Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind" - Lilo & Stitch

Very nice movie to add to the story. 8/10
Jan 10, 2021 10:55 AM
Apr 2020
wow, a good movie in my opinion. I hope the story of the young Satsuki pursuing her ideal man can be serialized.

Edited : After seeing some flashback scenes from Satsuki here. I really didn't believe that Satsuki would be dating another man after her husband died. I thought he would only love her husband for the rest of her life.
RezaNurfs26Jan 12, 2021 3:57 AM
Feb 1, 2021 7:07 AM

Feb 2012
The movie is just fine. The scenes in the present were a bit underwhelming. Perhaps it's understandable since the proper story already ended, but the power cut plot wasn't that interesting, and Mana's disappearance seemed to be there to just add some drama which otherwise was non-existent. Also, they changed Tomoe's character, she was much more outspoken and sassy in this one. And constantly worrying about growing old and being single. There wasn't nearly as much focus on that previously.

Since the movie was lacking in tension that would have driven it forward, I was thinking that Minko's shouting and overreacting to everything was an essential part of the series. A lot of people hated her as a character, but in a show where drama comes largely from character interaction rather than events, from a narrative viewpoint someone like her perhaps was necessary. I didn't enjoy watching her much, but after all the show would have been more boring without her.

Seeing more of Satsuki's past was really great, I wish there had been more of that. They showed really well how different, yet the same, she was at Ohana's age, and while a lot of it was implied, the background explained a lot about why she is such an unusual character in the present, making some odd choices. And also seeing her younger drove home the point how similar she and Ohana are in many ways. That story could have been an entire film which would have probably been more enjoyable, but I understand this was more about getting the cast together and giving people one more look at the characters they loved.
Apr 7, 2021 3:07 AM

Aug 2014
Its a nice movie, but this was not needed.  Meaning, if youre gonna do a movie, do it as a present time movie, like what the characters have been doing after episode 26, a reunion between them, romance progression of the characters, etc.
oooo3333May 16, 2023 6:21 PM
Jun 21, 2021 11:34 AM

Mar 2019
I'm actually a lot more happy with this movie than I thought I would be. I went into this thinking it's going to be an Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: 365-nichi no Jikan type of movie (showing the characters in the future when the are adults) which I would have hated (unless every decision the characters took made me happy).

It's nice to see everyone again and we finally saw more of Satsuki's past, a character I love. Seeing how she had the same problem Ohana has had in the anime feels nostalgic, kind of. Also seeing more of Nako, Minko and Tohru is always a great thing so not complaining! I laughed so much at his line "Do all girls get excited at night?", good one. Rip Kou though, barely any screentime for him. Also nostalgic af image right at the end :'(

NOW A QUESTION!! because it made me so confused. Does the present actions happen before or after the ending of season 1??? Because Beanman is still here but Enishi with Takako are together here which makes me think that this happens after the ending which means they reopened the inn and everyone still looks the same AND IT WOULD MAKE ME SO MUCH MORE HAPPIER!! Amazing opening song and an even better and more sad ending song, Nano.Ripe being amazing.Great movie to an anime, enjoyed it a lot!
Alex_TheForestJun 21, 2021 12:22 PM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Sep 24, 2021 12:28 PM
Mar 2019
I watched the anime quite long ago. I still remember it was amazing and how heartwarming it was. I just finished the movie, it was good all the way. But nakochi's part made me emotional.
Aug 19, 2022 9:54 AM

May 2017
That was an incredibly cute movie. I've been crying multiple times in the last half 😭🥺 When they were looking for Mana, and Ohana is just bawling because she never had someone who was there for her, God that was so heart wrenching. I loved Mari Okada's light novel that she wrote about her life, she explains how a lot of the relationship with her own mom was put into the story of this series, and experiencing it finally, I relate so much.

It's neglect. I know Japanese people want to parade it around like we just have to work hard if we don't get the structure and care as kids, and then we can become working well adjusted adults, but it's more than that. Satsuki was neglected by her mom. the scene where Enishi is asking their mom for a snack and she immediately asks where Satsuki is, and Enishi just starts crying and begging them not to fight. Heart breaking, dude. Just because you chose to run an inn and have two children doesn't mean that Satsuki has to be the parent and take care of her brother. She was robbed of her childhood. And then she felt trapped in her hometown because she was reliant in her mom and the inn for cash. I felt that too.
Poor Enishi would have been trapped too being reliant on his sister because his mom was so busy. They don't really explain when Satsuki and Enishi's dad passed away, but they were also struggling with the loss of their father.

And Nakochi's story sucks too. As much as she loves her family, if her parents couldn't make time to care for 5 fucking kids because they have busy careers, either they should be hiring a nanny, or they should not have had so many children. Their oldest daughter is not a free nanny, disgusting. She's a kid too, like Ohana said. Ohana cried for her, because not only does she live with neglect from both of her parents, but she has to live with the weight of her siblings and the neglect that they're struggling with. She can't be a mom, because she's their sister. She's a teenager, and it's gross that parents think it's okay to treat their kids and their families like this.

Poor Ohana. I'm so sad for her. Neglect can weigh on a kid, and it hurts not to have a parent to rely on. That's kind of what we saw throughout the series. Ohana had always relied on herself. You can only trust yourself, everyone else will disappoint you.

I also thought it was selfish of Satsuki not to introduce her mom to Ohana. I'm sure so much could have changed if she had a cute little grand daughter running around. But I guess Satsuki felt that her mom didn't work for that, why should she reap the benefits of having an adorable little baby to coddle when she couldn't have taken the time to raise Satsuki with love and affection. She didn't earn that. But that's the normal relationship that most Western families have with their grandparents. Usually, a grandparent will look after the grandkids every once in a while, instilling knowledge and good humour, also being a safe haven for a temporary time from the outrageous behaviors of their parents. Grandparents are at times an escape, and Ohana wasn't allowed that. That's also what made me sad watching this at the end, it reminded me of the beginning of the series when I felt shocked that it took 16 years for Ohana to return to her mother's hometown, meeting her own grandmother and uncle for the first time. Absolutely shocking. She could have spent summers at the inn, helping out and learning about it, but nope. Nothing, not until her mom selfishly needed to run away with a new boyfriend. Fuck, I hate irresponsible parents. This series was honestly very hard to watch at times, but the story was sweet overall. 10/10
demisionAug 19, 2022 9:59 AM
Nov 15, 2022 2:22 PM

Sep 2018
What a great little movie, I think I enjoyed that even more than the show. One hour long and everything felt significant or touching, overcoming these hardships made the show and the film very worthwhile. 9/10.
Apr 14, 2023 7:55 PM
Jan 2023
What a absolute joy!
Jan 11, 1:45 PM
May 2020
the satsuki backstory was the best part of the movie
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Question about Ohana's father.

_Alchemist - Jul 4, 2014

4 by Maggot_Brain »»
Mar 3, 2018 5:56 PM

» Teaser

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2012

11 by SeaJaeger »»
Aug 30, 2013 9:26 PM

Poll: » Thoughts on this?

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2012

15 by Soren »»
Aug 25, 2013 10:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.