Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2009 9:52 AM
Jul 2008
Hello :]
I was wondering what everyone's opinion on anime tattoos was.
I plan on getting a half sleeve of sailor moon and chibi moon as a memorial tattoo for my mother.

(she used to tape sailor moon for me when it was on television and i was at camp and school and miss watching her shows because of it and if it wasn't for her taping the show i would never be as into anime as i am now as sailor moon was my first anime--also because chibi is usagi's daughter, and they are one of the more well known mother daughter figures in anime i figured they would be perfect.)

so let me know what you think (don't be too mean!) and if anyone has anything already i wold love to see!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 6, 2009 10:44 AM
Oct 2008
The only thing I've ever considered was something from FMA. Either the transmutation circle from the end, or Mustang's one on his hand.

As for your Sailor Moon, I can't really say much. If it appeals to you, then by all means, go for it.
Feb 6, 2009 10:47 AM

Apr 2008
This might sound narutardish but I intend on getting the Kyuubi Seal tattooed onto my stomach after I graduate from Highschool. Since me and naruto have a similar past I wanted it to represent how I managed to get this far in life without giving up. lol kinda stupid but yeah also I just think the seal is cool. ^^

Feb 6, 2009 11:12 AM

Jan 2008
The American Academy of Dermatology reports tattoo regret is common in the United States. Among a group of 18- to 50-year-olds surveyed in 2004, 24 percent reported having a tattoo and 17 percent of those considered getting their tattoo removed[...]2006 survey also found that participants (of tattoo removal) were more likely to be women (69 percent vs. 31 percent men) who were white, single, college-educated and between the ages of 24 and 39.

Not that you should let statistics determine your choice. Just make sure that 20 years from now, you'll still be happy that you got an anime tattoo.
Feb 6, 2009 11:28 AM

Sep 2008
I intend to get the Orobouros on either my ankle or thigh. Not sure when, but it will happen.
Feb 6, 2009 11:59 AM

Jul 2008
I refuse. Permanent markings should represent myself. Not something I pulled from someone else. Nothing on my body will be found on any other person.

And keep em hidden, please. Shit'll come back to bite you in the ass. The most I'd even consider going for is ~1/4 sleeve. Even half sleeve is too far down for many professional work settings.
Feb 6, 2009 12:03 PM

Apr 2007
NO.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2009 12:11 PM
Jul 2008
well i have been giving this thought for three years because i did not want to be hasty.
by placing artwork done by someone else permanently on your body is also a way to pay homage to them and i see nothing wrong with that considering the significance sailor moon has had in my life as well as it being a portal into many new and fascinating areas of japanese visual culture.
i bet many people do regret their tattoos but those people are the types who decide spur of the moment to get some revolting tribal or typical asinine image and hey most people in this world are morons.
i included anime and manga in my masters thesis and continue to study it from an academic perspective.
anime is also such a beautiful form of visual culture i just can't help myself. it is something i will never get sick of.
ergo i am all for them i guess
if you're opposed, please justify as i am still weighing the pros and cons.
thanks!

Feb 6, 2009 12:15 PM

Dec 2008
I never, ever plan on getting any anime tattoos. I swear in 20 years I would really, really regret it.

In fact, my friend works at Barnes & Nobles and he saw this like 70 yr old woman was "SEXY" tattooed on her wrinkled neck. Not going to ask what she thought of that decision at that point.

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
Feb 6, 2009 12:31 PM
Jul 2008
lolol
Feb 6, 2009 12:55 PM

Feb 2009
I love tattoos (I have one and want more lol) . . . . As for anime related tattoos I would get one, if I really found one that I wanted. . .
Feb 6, 2009 12:58 PM

Dec 2007
While I intend to make a tatoo when a very important event of my life happens (as mark and vow of eternal worship, something along those lines)... I'd not tatoo anime.

I actually think most body art is quite meaningless. "oh, my 5 year old daughter likes neopets and I tatooed one" (this is actually true) For me, painting permanently a part of the body must mean much more than "I like this design".

Though I have a friend that is almost all tatooed (including Chibi-Usa, Little Ponies, Hello Kitties, the Oz Witches, other characters from faerie tales and many other things) and I love the way it looks.

Edit: Maybe I was not clear. I'd not tatoo anime because "it is anime", but because I don't want. I love anime, but I don't think I want anything of it tatooed anywhere. Nothing means enough. That one tatoo will be representative for everything that's meaningful in life (and this is why I'm considering making it full back instead of a mini tatoo over hip-bone)
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 6, 2009 1:01 PM

Aug 2008
ladyxzeus said:
While I intend to make a tatoo when a very important event of my life happens (as mark and vow of eternal worship, something along those lines)... I'd not tatoo anime.

I actually think most body art is quite meaningless. "oh, my 5 year old daughter likes neopets and I tatooed one" (this is actually true) For me, painting permanently a part of the body must mean much more than "I like this design".

Though I have a friend that is almost all tatooed (including Chibi-Usa, Little Ponies, Hello Kitties, the Oz Witches, other characters from faerie tales and many other things) and I love the way it looks.

Wow lol. Hello kitty tatoos... ya i got nothin.

And i don't think i'd get an anime tatoo or otherwise, even though they can look pretty cool and i don't care about my "professional appearance" at all. They're just like "OH LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TATOO" i'm not that kinda guy.
Feb 6, 2009 1:03 PM

Jun 2008
Never in my life will I get a tattoo. Though I love to just watch through books about tattoos. So I will be the type who watches and looks at tattoos, but never will get one.
Feb 6, 2009 1:35 PM

Apr 2008
Mehsi said:
Never in my life will I get a tattoo. Though I love to just watch through books about tattoos. So I will be the type who watches and looks at tattoos, but never will get one.

ditto.
its fun looking at them, but i would never get one.
Simply because it clashes with my personality.
Feb 6, 2009 1:50 PM

Oct 2007
If you're going to put it on a well hidden place then by all means go for it. Just make sure you get the best tattooist money can buy and use a base drawing you really want, unless you want to endure a lot of pain and an expensive laser removal treatment later on in your life.

Personally I love tattoos on girls, but the picture must be really good looking. Japanese style tattoos are the best looking in my opinion.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Feb 6, 2009 1:51 PM

Oct 2008
it's embarrassing. if you are gonna get a tattoo at least put on some kind of artsy flare to it.

honestly it really depends on what kind of art goes along with you and how you want to roll.

interestingly enough no one wants to see a 60 year old man wearing a tattoo of a cartoon character. that's just weird.
Feb 6, 2009 2:07 PM

Nov 2006
i laugh at all tattoos, but i laugh at anime tattoos the most. and i'm an anime fan. if you mind getting laughed at/asked 'wtf is that?' by a bunch of people, don't do it.
Feb 6, 2009 2:12 PM

Dec 2007
Frito said:
it's embarrassing. if you are gonna get a tattoo at least put on some kind of artsy flare to it.

honestly it really depends on what kind of art goes along with you and how you want to roll.

interestingly enough no one wants to see a 60 year old man wearing a tattoo of a cartoon character. that's just weird.

Comics are actually very popular tatoos and you see many "grownups" with them. Even though here most 60 y/o men wear war tatoos saying "Mothers Love" and "Angola 1969"
Feb 6, 2009 2:14 PM

May 2008
windy said:
i laugh at all tattoos, but i laugh at anime tattoos the most. and i'm an anime fan. if you mind getting laughed at/asked 'wtf is that?' by a bunch of people, don't do it.

You act like normal tattoos aren't like that.
Feb 6, 2009 2:46 PM

Oct 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Frito said:

Comics are actually very popular tatoos and you see many "grownups" with them. Even though here most 60 y/o men wear war tatoos saying "Mothers Love" and "Angola 1969"
that ive seen. some fits nicely with the person some are out of place. but seriously anime? i've never seen one. probably never will since it's not as common as comic book characters like betty and fido and mickey.
Feb 6, 2009 2:51 PM

Mar 2007
Sailor Moon tattoos don't seem to be all that original. I tried a google image search, and came up with:

If I were to get a tattoo (and I am not totally against the idea) I would want something no one else had. (and I wouldn't do something stupid like one of thosekanji tattoos that you think means "strong fighter" but really means "kung pao chicken")

Feb 6, 2009 2:52 PM

Oct 2008
MagicalEmi said:
Sailor Moon tattoos don't seem to be all that original. I tried a google image search, and came up with:

If I were to get a tattoo (and I am not totally against the idea) I would want something no one else had. (and I wouldn't do something stupid like one of thosekanji tattoos that you think means "strong fighter" but really means "kung pao chicken")

that looks ugly.
Feb 6, 2009 2:53 PM

Apr 2007
Defenitely not getting one. I don't hate tattoos or have them but it seems like a ridiculous idea IF it doesn't have a deep meaning behind it.

I thinking of getting this little guy somewhere on me:

Or being cliche and getting my zodiac symbol. Hidden of course.

Feb 6, 2009 2:55 PM

Mar 2008
im not agianst tatts [i want one @ some point too] but it seems sailor moon might be something ud regret later. id think on it for like 2 years :p

Feb 6, 2009 3:09 PM

Dec 2007
Those specific examples are not very pretty (most likely the tatoo artists are not very talented), but some are really awesome. It really depends.
Feb 6, 2009 3:14 PM

Dec 2008
I'd never get a tattoo, I hate them.
Same thing for piercings.
Feb 6, 2009 3:52 PM

Dec 2007
I saw a Sailor Moon tattoo in a tattoo magazine once, I'll leave it up to you if you want to get one. I don't really see what the big deal about getting one of something anime is, you wouldn't believe the number of Star Wars tattoos people have.

#NBHNC
Feb 6, 2009 3:58 PM

Aug 2008
Neverender said:
NO.
Feb 6, 2009 4:05 PM

Apr 2008
I like tattoos, when done well they're great.

But lol anime, not sure if anyone could make that awesome.
Feb 6, 2009 5:08 PM

Jan 2009
moar pics plz

щ(゚Д゚щ)
Feb 6, 2009 5:10 PM

Jul 2008
MagicalEmi said:
"kung pao chicken"

That's hardcore
Feb 6, 2009 5:12 PM

Jul 2008
Someone get DESU on their forehead
Feb 6, 2009 5:24 PM

Oct 2008
I don't think that's a good idea. However, it depends on your career and whether your superiors mind or not. An anime tattoo just doesn't sound right, though it may look nice.
Feb 6, 2009 5:29 PM

May 2008

Maybe another obscure looking anime symbol that the normal person would have no idea what it is. Same deal with anime shirts.
Feb 6, 2009 7:10 PM

May 2007
I actually have a semi-famous sort of anime tattoo. (I say "semi-famous" because if you are a fan of that title, then you have probably seen pictures of the tattoo). I refuse to talk about it any more, though, because I went to the website where it's on display and discovered that people are starting to copy it.

That pisses me off. I designed it to mean something to me, and the fuckers stole it. >:(

shiro_neko said:
Hello :]
I was wondering what everyone's opinion on anime tattoos was.
I plan on getting a half sleeve of sailor moon and chibi moon as a memorial tattoo for my mother.

(she used to tape sailor moon for me when it was on television and i was at camp and school and miss watching her shows because of it and if it wasn't for her taping the show i would never be as into anime as i am now as sailor moon was my first anime--also because chibi is usagi's daughter, and they are one of the more well known mother daughter figures in anime i figured they would be perfect.)

so let me know what you think (don't be too mean!) and if anyone has anything already i wold love to see!

If it means something to you, then I say go for it. Don't skimp on the price, though--when it comes to tattoos, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. So find a well-respected artist, pay them well, and have them design something for you. Tell them what you have in mind, and let them work with you on creating a design. If you work with the artist, you will get a really beautiful piece (if you force them to do something that they don't want to do, you are taking a risk).
Feb 6, 2009 7:22 PM

Jul 2007
My opinion is that you can get a memorial tattoo for your mother that doesn't involve anime.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Feb 6, 2009 9:40 PM

Mar 2008
ilikewhiterice said:
moar pics plz

Feb 6, 2009 9:52 PM

Jul 2008
DrkNoTeS said:

Absolutely awesome.
Feb 6, 2009 10:31 PM

Mar 2008
Vagabond said:
DrkNoTeS said:

Absolutely awesome.
fixed

Feb 6, 2009 10:35 PM

Jun 2008
Syb3rStrife said:
This might sound narutardish but I intend on getting the Kyuubi Seal tattooed onto my stomach after I graduate from Highschool. Since me and naruto have a similar past I wanted it to represent how I managed to get this far in life without giving up. lol kinda stupid but yeah also I just think the seal is cool. ^^

For the love of all that is good and holy, don't do it.
I'm back.
Feb 7, 2009 12:11 AM

Sep 2008
shiro_neko said:

i included anime and manga in my masters thesis and continue to study it from an academic perspective.

So there is a such thing as a professional weeaboo.
Feb 7, 2009 12:40 AM

Aug 2007
Feb 7, 2009 8:29 AM

Mar 2008
don't get the tattoo if you are the type of person that cares what others think and if you regret doing things.

Frito said:

I would do it fuck kanji just the words Kung Pao Chicken
BlindFighterFeb 7, 2009 8:35 AM
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Feb 7, 2009 9:18 AM

Apr 2008
im gonna get a anbu seal on my arm. like all the anbu have in naruto
Feb 7, 2009 10:03 AM

Jun 2007
If you're going to get an anime tattoo, I'd start putting some money away for laser removal surgery...I'm just messing with you, if you want it, go for it. It's your body after all. The only tattoo I would consider getting would be a tribal band around my arm, or perhaps the motto of my family name (from an Irish clan) because it is a particularly nice phrase.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Feb 7, 2009 10:12 AM

Jan 2009
Personally, I'm one of those that will probably never get a tattoo, it's just not me. If I ever did get one, it'd be something like a rose or my family crest in a place easily hidden.

However, I do appreciate tattoo's on someone else, especially if it was done by a talented artist. I've seen some excellent tatt's in my day, let me tell you.

The best anime inspired tattoo I've ever seen has to be on a friend of mine. It takes up her entire upper back. It's the Phoenix God Suzaku from Fushigi Yuugi, except instead of him being colored all red like a traditional Phoenix, the tatt is in several vibrant colors. It really is something to see & is rarely seen by anyone other than her husband. I have a rare picture of it on disc somewhere...

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...
Feb 7, 2009 10:43 AM

Jun 2008
shiro_neko said:

You best be trollin'.
I'm back.
Feb 7, 2009 11:08 AM

Mar 2008
Anime tattoos are for geeks, get a gamer tattoo and be a man!

Feb 7, 2009 11:12 AM
Sep 2008

a gamer tatoo like this? =D
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.