Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2013 4:18 PM

Sep 2012
Monde11 said:
First half was kinda boring but the second half was great.

Yeah, this, I also like the character design of the girls, it could have been a good hentai.
Apr 7, 2013 4:22 PM

Nov 2008
Robert Heinlein meets Andre Norton...
Apr 7, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2011
Best first episode of this season for me. So many little things that sci-fi fans would love.
Apr 7, 2013 4:29 PM

Dec 2009
First Attack on Titan and now this. Holy this season seems good.

I hate the fact that Squid Girl/Kotoura-san is in Gargantia, however. Getting really tired of hearing her voice.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 7, 2013 4:44 PM
Jul 2012
Well, here are my thoughts for this first episode.
Gargantia definitely shows promise, and got me curious to see more. I decided to watch it, not knowing what to expect, and I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

All in all, Gargantia had a pretty strong start. It managed to grab my attention by the end of it, making me want to find out the answers for many things. I'll be following this anime, since so far, it's the show that I've liked the most this season, to be honest...
FoggySunsetApr 7, 2013 4:48 PM
Apr 7, 2013 4:45 PM

May 2012
omfg the story is great, i absolutely thought it'd be another one of those mecha gundam series but it wasnt,
watching episode 1 without expectations, and anticipation, I'm satisfied with continuing this series
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Apr 7, 2013 4:54 PM

Jan 2013
Just watched this on Crunchyroll.. This anime has that Eureka 7/ Gurren Lagann feel to it.. probably because they all have mecha in them lol.. Just watching the first episode I can already tell that it's probably going to be one of my fave animes! ^.^
Apr 7, 2013 4:58 PM

Mar 2012
The first half was very interesting but wasn't impressed with that galaxy mecha fireworks battle.
Apr 7, 2013 5:08 PM

Nov 2011
I don't think the opening battle was meant to be edge of your seat action. We don't know or care about this society, so them winning or losing is irrelevant to us (aside from them being humans).

I think it served a few purposes:

1. Introduce you to the situation while giving you some clues about this world. There's a human alliance. They are super advanced and have gigantic armies. They run a Rome-like society where you must serve in the army to obtain your rights. They are up against a very powerful alien enemy that they are clearly very afraid of.

2. It shows you how numb Red has become with his life. He isn't afraid anymore. There's this giant battle with thousands of people dying and he is just doing his thing. He didn't even get excited about gaining his rights as a citizen.

3. It was basically just a launching point for the story. He was in a battle. He stayed behind to defend the retreat and got separated from his fleet and thrown through a wormhole to a random location, which turns out to be Earth, which is long lost to Red's society.

As far as those three things go, I think it served its purpose well.
Apr 7, 2013 5:20 PM

Jan 2013
Pretty good first episode. Nice ending, makes me want to see the second episode right now. :)
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Apr 7, 2013 5:32 PM

Jun 2009
Fairly typical first episode for a mecha series, but this is Urobutcher we're talking about. I expect shit to start hitting the fan within three more episodes.
Apr 7, 2013 5:32 PM

Jul 2007
GREAT first episode. The plot reminds me of Farscape a bit(the whole wormhole part), but otherwise it seems that the show will have quite a few mysteries.

LOVE the original and unique alien designs that look actually ALIEN.

Not trusting the animal though. Considering who wrote this show I expect it to slaughter everyone :[
Apr 7, 2013 5:41 PM

Jan 2008
Monde11 said:
First half was kinda boring but the second half was great, high hopes for this

Pretty much what I thought too.

Can't say I like the mecha designs very much but eh, I'll manage.
Apr 7, 2013 5:45 PM

Nov 2011
Fai said:
GREAT first episode. The plot reminds me of Farscape a bit(the whole wormhole part), but otherwise it seems that the show will have quite a few mysteries.

Anime Scorpius would be so awesome.
Apr 7, 2013 6:03 PM

Aug 2009
It was a pretty lighthearted first episode, however I couldn't resist the temptation and came up with this.

Apr 7, 2013 6:04 PM

May 2011
Another one of them folks who wasn't particularly interested in the start but did enjoy it once he landed. His early terms learned being the less savory ones does help, here's hoping he gets to use some of those. xD
Apr 7, 2013 6:08 PM

Jan 2013
That was good, the first half was a bit meh, I' not a big fan of mechas and space battles but the second half was good and it made laugh. I liked that they can't understand each other, in anime everyone seems to know japanese, even aliens.

So I guess this, DS2 and Shingeki no kyojin are my keepers for this season.
Please understand.
Apr 7, 2013 6:30 PM

Jul 2011
Kiraly said:
“What she just said relates to reproducing with your mother, as well as fresh excrement.”

BWAHAHAHA FANTASTIC

Hilarious. I can't wait for the next episode!

5/5
Apr 7, 2013 6:38 PM

Aug 2011
I literally JUST watched SnK before this, so it kind of dulled in comparison. But the second part was really good, and I really like Red (Is it Ledo or Red? ANN/the fansubbers wrote it as Ledo, but some other people write Red...).
Apr 7, 2013 6:39 PM

Jan 2011
wasn't really feeling the first bit besides liking how colorful it was but the second half got me interested.

And Gintoki why are you a robot AI?! sounds so weird hearing him talk like that lol.
Apr 7, 2013 6:44 PM

Feb 2010
I quite enjoyed this. When Gintoki voices a mecha even I warm uo to the genre xD
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2013 6:51 PM

Nov 2009
Definitely my favorite first episode of the season! Attack on Titan was really good as well, but I think this is more along my tastes, even though I'm not a big mecha fan. The colors are so bright and vivid and the characters are charming. I'm hooked!

What "Adolescence" do you have?
Do you remember "Childhood"?
The irreplaceable one existed there.

Apr 7, 2013 7:02 PM

Aug 2009
Kiraly said:
“What she just said relates to reproducing with your mother, as well as fresh excrement.”

BWAHAHAHA FANTASTIC

^^

My expections of this first episode were exceeded. Hope the series can keep up with this level of enjoyment! :-)
Apr 7, 2013 7:13 PM

Jun 2012
Looks awesome, I think this one will be good.

5/5
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Apr 7, 2013 7:21 PM

Feb 2013
AHHHHH....what a breath of fresh air after the generic mess of Majestic Prince. While the first part of this episode was very techno-babbly and confusing, I could kind of get the gist of what was going on. The flower-like enemy was a little confusing as well and I don't really understand what the war involves but that's okay, I'm guessing they are going to explain more later.

However, the second half was full of sci-fi fun involving the classic "fish-out-of-water" plotline. We have time and space travel and a meeting of two opposite worlds. I like our MC and I really like the fact that his mecha is a fully functioning A.I. and an unintentionally funny one at that. None of the characters so far are annoying and I'm glad of that. I have hopes for this series as the animation, music, characters, and plot are all fresh and interesting.

Of the 3 mecha series this season, Gargantia has risen to the top of the ranks. Now it's up to Varvrave to tell me what the final ranking of the season premieres will be.

I give this episode an 8/10.
Apr 7, 2013 7:24 PM
May 2010
Seems interesting enough. 4/5
Apr 7, 2013 7:27 PM
Oct 2010
Well, this was beautiful! I agree the 1st part wasn't so great (despite the jaw-dropping visuals) until they had to retreat. The way they handled the language barrier was really cool, it might seem just a detail but it does give more life to the setting. I'm already liking Ledo(or Red or w/e) "You heard him, talk more *taps ass*"

Apr 7, 2013 7:38 PM

Sep 2011
that ok at best, its way to generic and honestly kind of boring

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 7, 2013 7:39 PM

Dec 2011
This anime seems pretty promising.
Already excited for the next episode, and hopefully it doesn't disappoint.
Maybe like some version of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Apr 7, 2013 7:49 PM

Jan 2011
Certainly a good enough first episode to keep me watching for the season (unless it all goes horribly wrong and they unleash the rotoscope...).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 7, 2013 7:57 PM

May 2011
Very interesting first episode and outstanding visuals.
Apr 7, 2013 8:20 PM

Aug 2012
Hell yes. In Gen we trust. Can't wait to learn more about the Earth's current state.
Apr 7, 2013 8:41 PM

Jan 2011
I'm already loving this anime! The first half was amazing, especially the animation it was 'out of this world'. :P The action was incredible; just shows that Production I.G. can also make a great mecha series. Second half was surprisingly funny, especially the part when Chamber described Amy's insult to Red. xD

I really like how Red speaks in a different language compared to the humans on they switch from Jap -> gibberish. xD Tomokazu Sugita voicing as Chamber is perfect! I guess people thought he did a great job with Switch's electronic-type voice. :D I can't wait for more of this!!
Apr 7, 2013 8:47 PM

Nov 2009
Indeed, this one's hella exciting, can't wait for more.
Oh and that translation:"What she just said relates to reproducing with your mother, as well as fresh excrement.” is pure gold.
This wins over me.
Apr 7, 2013 9:11 PM

Sep 2008
I didn't like all the CG space battles at the start, but the 2nd half of the episode was really interesting. Hope to see the show be more like the 2nd half.
Apr 7, 2013 9:41 PM

Feb 2009
Great. MC is actually good for once. Music stands out. Animation is SERIOUSLY impressive all the time.

I have high hopes.
Apr 7, 2013 9:52 PM

Apr 2010
When the guy burst out the door and looked back at the ship for the first time, the view gave me goosebumps.

Visuals and animations were stunning. Clothes on the girls are hot and they're cute, too.

For the computer in his mech unit to be able to decipher an entire language with several sentences.. definitely got some highly advanced quantum computers. Silicone and microchips can't work nearly that fast.

I'm surprised Earth has been forgotten to the more advanced folks in the human race, far off in the galaxy. There's no place like home.
It's amazing looking at how Earth and the human race has changed and differed in the last several thousand years. Languages ancient and dead to them, English, Japanese and everything else has been forgotten. Lost with the tides that swallowed nations whole. The Earthling's language almost looks like Greek. The advanced human's language almost looks like pixelated English letters.

Apr 7, 2013 10:07 PM
Dec 2011
It starts off eerily similar to star ocean ex which was an okay alright anime based on an amazing game (star ocean 2 for ps1).
Apr 7, 2013 10:19 PM

Sep 2012
Pretty good. Of course the art is top notch imo. Can't wait to see what happens when they can talk to each other.
Apr 7, 2013 10:32 PM

May 2008
Welcome to earth Ledo! :D pretty awesome first episode , this seems to have alot of potential im excited to see what they have to offer.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 7, 2013 10:40 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, that was great.
It's my first instant like of this season at least!

I like how they handled the languages (way better than the first episode of Hataraku Maou-sama!).
5/5
Apr 7, 2013 10:41 PM

Jan 2013
Usually I avoid mechas but I gave this a try mainly cuz it was scripted by Urobuchi, soo I'm expecting to have a very good watch.
Apr 7, 2013 10:44 PM

Apr 2011
What a nice first episode.

The animation and visuals are great.
The fact that their languages are different is a nice set and I am already liking Ledo :D
Apr 7, 2013 11:15 PM

Jan 2012
Impressions below.

I have to say, this was more or less right on the money when expectations is concerned. It established it's premise, world, and characters in a way that feels satisfactory.

Good debut episode.
Apr 7, 2013 11:57 PM
Aug 2011
I really liked that.
Nice bright visuals (almost too bright) but my eyes approve.

Production I.G opening up this season with bang.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
When Gintoki voices a mecha even I warm uo to the genre xD

Same here.
I was trying so hard to keep a poker face everytime Chamber talked, when all I really wanted was to giggle at Sugita voicing this machine.
Apr 8, 2013 12:11 AM

Apr 2010
10 minutes into the anime thinking it'd be a typical generic mecha show... Nearly dropped it halfway through.

Glad I didn't and finished it, that was a refreshing experience. Impressive animations, aside from the 3D bits.
Apr 8, 2013 12:25 AM

Nov 2012
I didn't even understand what in galaxy the battle about in the first half...all those saying and stuff, I can only understand dat flower enemy is epic (I'm not a mecha watcher anyway)

Second half is ok tho.
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Apr 8, 2013 1:26 AM

Jun 2009
Hey another one to watch. Let's see how Urobuchi will put his healing touch on this anime.
Apr 8, 2013 1:57 AM
Dec 2012
Not bad. The plot seems interesting. I appreciate their efforts for making it decent.
Apr 8, 2013 1:58 AM

Apr 2010
Horrible battle animation, too much going on, ugly beams going everywhere and seemed to lag at times.

It was good after they got to the part where he was waking up from his induced coma. Hope they focus more on the plot rather than the battle scenes because the story seems to be the much more interesting part.

4/5
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.