Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 5, 2007 12:39 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I wasn't really planning on watching this, but The Triad subbed the first ep so I gave it a shot.

Well first off, I don't like the character design at all. The faces look like rocks to me. :|

The overall art like surroundings etc. looks really good though. The story's kind of weird, I don't really know what to think of this yet. Can't say I'm overly excited.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 5, 2007 1:18 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Yeah, I gotta give it that, the music was really good.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 5, 2007 2:53 PM

Jun 2007
Hard to recommend, but I could get in to this.
BadSeafoodOct 5, 2007 3:53 PM
Oct 5, 2007 5:18 PM

May 2007
Also didn't plan to watch it, but since I can get it in a few mins anyway, I just gave it a try.

For some reason, it really takes my interest. The art is not bad, it is just odd compared to your regular anime show, but this is what makes it more fun.

I wonder what kaiji has gotten himself into :> Also wondering if all episodes are now about gambling with those cards and what happens if you lose the match.

OP is ok, ED is pretty bad imo.

Gonna follow this a bit longer.
Oct 5, 2007 7:08 PM

Feb 2007
Started watching this for the hell of it. This might be the "Nanatsuiro Drops" of the Spring Season. And by that I mean watch a couple episodes and then forget about it.
Oct 5, 2007 8:02 PM

Jan 2007
I'm iffy about this show now. Akagi was great cause the character was cool and they were playing mahjong. But seriously, janken!? Lets hope this turns out good.
Oct 5, 2007 8:10 PM

Jun 2007
The beginning was so boring, but hopefully with this whole ship thing it will get more interesting. Also I don't know if it is because I haven't watched Akagi, but the character designs are kind of weird at certain times.
Oct 5, 2007 8:22 PM

Apr 2007
What the hell, the first episode was awesome.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2007 8:58 PM

Mar 2007
Seems I finished Akagi just in time. I was kinda disappointed by the video during the OP, I had hoped Kaiji would have the same personality as Akagi, but it seems his is near the opposite. Anyway, the episode was very interesting, can't wait for more.

... lol, I hope the whole series doesn't revolve around the rock, paper, scissors thing...
Oct 5, 2007 8:59 PM
Mar 2007
That first episode was fucking amazing. I can't wait for more. It's gonna be just as intense as Akagi. Awesome OST, awesome animation, awesome gambling plot. Man, what a great first episode.
Oct 5, 2007 9:04 PM

Apr 2007
Zel said:

... lol, I hope the whole series doesn't revolve around the rock, paper, scissors thing...

It doesn't.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2007 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
The first ep was awesome. Then again, I'm already biased cuz I'm a fan of the manga :P
I think it's one of Kaiji's personality that makes him a very interesting individual. And sad to say it's easier to sympathize with him as you grow older..
removed-userOct 5, 2007 11:11 PM
Oct 5, 2007 11:56 PM

Jun 2007
sukreih said:
The first ep was awesome. Then again, I'm already biased cuz I'm a fan of the manga :P
I think it's one of Kaiji's personality that makes him a very interesting individual. And sad to say it's easier to sympathize with him as you grow older..

I figure we have some character development slated amidst the gambling and the rouges gallery, yes?

Also, Go! Go! Zeppelli.
Oct 6, 2007 12:26 AM

Sep 2007
I must agree with Neverender, it was great.
Though so far its Akagi>Kaiji... but it might surpass it (I heard it does in manga in Japan though).
Oct 6, 2007 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
Enerccio said:
Though so far its Akagi>Kaiji... but it might surpass it (I heard it does in manga in Japan though).

I don't know if you are talking about the characters or the anime/manga itself, but the Kaiji manga is the most famous(and longest) and popular from all of Nobuyuki Fukumoto(the manga-ka)'s works, award winning, critically acclaimed, more support from foreign fans... you get the point :)

In terms of certain characteristics, no...Kaiji can never surpass Akagi. Akagi is something beyond human. Kaiji is just human. Give him a chance to shine for the next several eps once he starts serious gambling :D

BadSeafood said:
Also, Go! Go! Zeppelli.

Yes! Go! Go! Zeppelli! Nyohohoho!
Oct 6, 2007 4:19 AM

Mar 2007
I never intended to watch this at all, I thought looked really boring. But, I asked someone who had watched it and he said it was great. So afterall I decided to give it a try, and I must agree, it was really entertaining. I loved the OP as well, so I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 6, 2007 6:33 AM

Jun 2007
I loved Akagi. So I'm definatly gonna check this one out. The first episode was pretty interesting. And I'm pretty sure things on that ship are gonna be messed up, in a good way ^^ I always loved the chararcters in Akagi, and Kaiji seems to have that same charm. So yea I've got another show to watch.

ALso Card games are much closer to home then Mahjong so
Oct 6, 2007 9:10 AM

Jul 2007
I don't really like the art style, but the idea of the show seems interesting. I'll give it a few more episodes.
Oct 6, 2007 9:56 AM

May 2007
Loved the first episode. The show promises to be just as intense as Akagi. And I do appreciate the fact there is going to be be different games played each time.
As far as the art goes, it felt a bit awkward to me when I watched the first few eps of Akagi, but with time one learns to appreciate it. This anime does seem to be suited for a more mature audience, that doesn't need standard commercial artwork, to appreciate the story.
Or to put it more simple, if you don't give this anime a chance because of the artwork, it's entirely your loss :)-
Oct 6, 2007 10:35 AM

Dec 2006
I must be the only person to like Kaiji and Akagi equally. It'd be lame to have another Akagi, because there's the 1% chance of outdoing Akagi and the 99% chance of having an inferior clone. Better to do someone different so you can appreciate the differences of both characters. Though that part where he took 10 million as a start up shows us some promise of awesome.

Art, music, and animation all reminiscent of Akagi, a great series in its own right. I'll definately be watching this to the end.
Oct 6, 2007 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
yami_shinyi said:
It'd be lame to have another Akagi, because there's the 1% chance of outdoing Akagi and the 99% chance of having an inferior clone. Better to do someone different so you can appreciate the differences of both characters.

That's exactly what I wanted to say! Thank you!
and I like both of em too :)
Oct 6, 2007 11:31 PM
Aug 2007
I watched the show in response to the praise I had heard for Akagi, and thus far have been quite satisfied by it. This was a great introductory episode, that really pulled me into desperate the world of underground gambling and connected me with the protagonist, who is unlikeable but I can't help root for.

Good show, let the games begin!

Oct 7, 2007 1:23 PM

Apr 2007
The artwork kinda put me off at the beginning, but I got used to it as the show went on. I was kinda bored throughout the thing, but it was a set-up episode, not to mention the first one, and all these people praising the manga are actually making me feel pretty good about picking this one up =D

I haven't seen Akagi (put it on my plan-to-watch list ten seconds ago <_<), but Kaiji can promise some serious kicking-ass.
Oct 7, 2007 5:33 PM

Jul 2007
I've also never seen akagi @_@ the art style drives people like me away... but i decided to give this one a shot for the heck of it.

restricted rock paper sissors sounds really well thought out. hope this one ends up good
Oct 7, 2007 5:36 PM

May 2007
I don't think it is all about jankenpon, there is probably much more behind it.

I just hope you guys don't think this is going to be some captain tsubasa or prince of tennis where he suddenly pulls off impossible tricks and do as if it is normal. 8D
Oct 7, 2007 10:11 PM

Feb 2007
Whahaha, I though it was hilarious.

The art style is errrrr but I got used to it and it sort of adds to the feeling of the show, you know?
Like, it wouldn't be as funny without.

I am definitely going to follow this one.
(Ps. I planned to watch this one, it wasn't random..)
Oct 7, 2007 10:33 PM

Jul 2006
When I heard it was going to resemble Akagi, I just had to watch it, and I did, the OP was great, I will follow this one for sure, which I originally intended to do anyway, since I don't drop anime.

Oct 7, 2007 10:52 PM

Apr 2007
Damnit... I wasnt planning on going anywhere near this one... But with all these comments on it, i think i'll have to give it a go... Even if i do really dislike the artstyle =3= ...
Oct 8, 2007 5:13 PM

Jun 2007
Oh, how I missed those noses.

I enjoyed the first episode. I love Kaiji already. I can relate him a bit too much. >_>
Oct 9, 2007 4:22 PM

Jun 2007
The op was pretty cool, but that was the shortest op in all of my anime watching history .__.
The ending was bad =__= and the animation was .... not what im used to xD but the plot seems interesting

Oct 11, 2007 12:20 AM

Apr 2007
woah. That was suprisingly pretty darn good. I can get used to the artstyle with a storyline like this. Pretty darn awesome, cant wait till next ep ^^.
Nov 26, 2007 11:38 AM

Jul 2007
My classmate recommended Kaiji yesterday, so I gave it a try. I really liked the first episode, and now I became really interested in it. :)
Nov 26, 2007 2:56 PM

Aug 2007
I got pretty surprised with Kaiji. Its pretty much like Akagi but it simply has another factor that addicted me.

Never thought that Paper-Rock-Scissors could be this interesting.
Mar 24, 2008 6:38 AM

Feb 2008
I don't really like the character designs, but I'll probably get used to them, in a couple of episodes =P
This episode was a little boring (mostly because it was just an introduction), but this seems like a very promising series (the rule explanation was quite interesting).
Oct 20, 2008 7:48 AM

May 2008
Well, I've been putting watching this off for a while now considering I've had a lot of other stuff to watch and because of the serious decline in quality in the second half of Akagi. That being said, damn this first episode was excellent. I mean, I figured it would probably be good, but this was much better than I expected. Good soundtrack, great looking story thus far, cool looking character designs like Akagi had, and a main character who is a lot easier to relate to/sympathize with than Akagi. Glad I decided to check this out.
Dec 8, 2008 8:22 AM

Oct 2008
Wow, one of the shows where I actually like the first episode. This show seems awesome as hell.
Feb 2, 2009 4:26 PM

Jun 2008
nice start.
Apr 27, 2009 5:31 PM

Apr 2009
i like it, speeches are interesting..
May 13, 2009 2:00 AM
Apr 2009
That was actually pretty interesting. I really like the artstyle, very unique. The BGM is good. I'd like to know how that Rock, Paper, Scissors thing works.
Oct 15, 2009 8:05 PM

Feb 2009
It is sad to say I can totally relate to his situation, although mine is even worse T - T there is no easy way to get out of it (not that I think that what he's going to get through will be though)

I think you just got own Keiji!
This is reverse psychology!
This is highway robbery!

This is a sink or swim situation. I like it.
Dec 1, 2009 5:07 AM

Feb 2008
Kinda dislike the narator's voice in Kaiji when compared to the "omnipotent" and ever knowing Amur..I meant narrator in Akagi.

Other than that, one of the best first episode I've seen in quite a while, even if Kaiji was crying a minute after the OP ends....
Dec 13, 2009 11:11 AM

Apr 2009
Oh my god those noses... but still it managed to pique my interest, lets see where it goes from here.
Dec 20, 2009 2:54 AM
Oct 2009
its like watching my future...
Jan 17, 2010 9:37 AM
Jul 2008
I can't even compare this to Akagi, but it seems interesting.
Jan 28, 2010 7:00 PM

Jul 2008
I've never seen a first episode be so boring and end in such an awesome manner. This is what I call a show. I'm already interested and I didn't once check my e-mail while I watched this. One hell of an accomplishment.
Jul 25, 2010 10:44 AM

Dec 2008
Wasn't expecting for such a boring episode to end in such a twist, and we're only in the first episode.

Looking forward for the next episodes.
Nov 16, 2010 7:57 AM

May 2010
*Looks at the rating* Hmm.. Good..
*Looks at the popularity* Not so..
*Reads the summary* Interesting
*Watches 1st ep* Liked it..

Though I was pretty hesitant to watch this coz of the artstyle but with the "gambling"

theme, it made sense.. Hope to see more from this.
Feb 22, 2011 1:49 PM
Nov 2010
man the art sucks ass. This is starting to look like Liar Game.
Jun 24, 2011 1:22 AM

Nov 2010
as others have said, i did not plan on watching this series. it was mainly because of the character art. but after hearing nothing but good things about it, i slowly became more tolerable of the art and it finally got to a point where i could watch it. well, i gotta say, i think im gonna enjoy this series. 5/5 for the first ep.
Sep 3, 2011 11:11 PM

Jun 2009
It was okay, I can certainly see some potential but how the hell is this 4 hour cruise going to fit into 26 episodes? I don't how this can't last without wearing thin to be honest.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 23, 2007

136 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.