Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Kaiji Episode 1 Discussion


#1
Oct 5, 2007 12:39 PM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 12473
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I wasn't really planning on watching this, but The Triad subbed the first ep so I gave it a shot.

Well first off, I don't like the character design at all. The faces look like rocks to me. :|

The overall art like surroundings etc. looks really good though. The story's kind of weird, I don't really know what to think of this yet. Can't say I'm overly excited.

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse
  
Thx Kina.
  
[H+] ³  

 
#2
Oct 5, 2007 1:18 PM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 12473
Yeah, I gotta give it that, the music was really good.

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse
  
Thx Kina.
  
[H+] ³  

 
#3
Oct 5, 2007 2:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 453
Hard to recommend, but I could get in to this.
Modified by BadSeafood, Oct 5, 2007 3:53 PM
 
#4
Oct 5, 2007 5:18 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3949
Also didn't plan to watch it, but since I can get it in a few mins anyway, I just gave it a try.

For some reason, it really takes my interest. The art is not bad, it is just odd compared to your regular anime show, but this is what makes it more fun.

I wonder what kaiji has gotten himself into :> Also wondering if all episodes are now about gambling with those cards and what happens if you lose the match.

OP is ok, ED is pretty bad imo.

Gonna follow this a bit longer.
 
#5
Oct 5, 2007 7:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2888
Started watching this for the hell of it. This might be the "Nanatsuiro Drops" of the Spring Season. And by that I mean watch a couple episodes and then forget about it.
 
#6
Oct 5, 2007 8:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 10587
I'm iffy about this show now. Akagi was great cause the character was cool and they were playing mahjong. But seriously, janken!? Lets hope this turns out good.

 
#7
Oct 5, 2007 8:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 85
The beginning was so boring, but hopefully with this whole ship thing it will get more interesting. Also I don't know if it is because I haven't watched Akagi, but the character designs are kind of weird at certain times.
 
#8
Oct 5, 2007 8:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 4160
What the hell, the first episode was awesome.
 
#9
Oct 5, 2007 8:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 835
Seems I finished Akagi just in time. I was kinda disappointed by the video during the OP, I had hoped Kaiji would have the same personality as Akagi, but it seems his is near the opposite. Anyway, the episode was very interesting, can't wait for more.

... lol, I hope the whole series doesn't revolve around the rock, paper, scissors thing...
 
Oct 5, 2007 8:59 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 16
That first episode was fucking amazing. I can't wait for more. It's gonna be just as intense as Akagi. Awesome OST, awesome animation, awesome gambling plot. Man, what a great first episode.
 
Oct 5, 2007 9:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 4160
Zel said:

... lol, I hope the whole series doesn't revolve around the rock, paper, scissors thing...

It doesn't.
 
Oct 5, 2007 11:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 18
The first ep was awesome. Then again, I'm already biased cuz I'm a fan of the manga :P
I think it's one of Kaiji's personality that makes him a very interesting individual. And sad to say it's easier to sympathize with him as you grow older..
Modified by sukreih, Oct 5, 2007 11:11 PM
 
Oct 5, 2007 11:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 453
sukreih said:
The first ep was awesome. Then again, I'm already biased cuz I'm a fan of the manga :P
I think it's one of Kaiji's personality that makes him a very interesting individual. And sad to say it's easier to sympathize with him as you grow older..

I figure we have some character development slated amidst the gambling and the rouges gallery, yes?

Also, Go! Go! Zeppelli.
 
Oct 6, 2007 12:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 45
I must agree with Neverender, it was great.
Though so far its Akagi>Kaiji... but it might surpass it (I heard it does in manga in Japan though).
 
Oct 6, 2007 2:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 18
Enerccio said:
Though so far its Akagi>Kaiji... but it might surpass it (I heard it does in manga in Japan though).

I don't know if you are talking about the characters or the anime/manga itself, but the Kaiji manga is the most famous(and longest) and popular from all of Nobuyuki Fukumoto(the manga-ka)'s works, award winning, critically acclaimed, more support from foreign fans... you get the point :)

In terms of certain characteristics, no...Kaiji can never surpass Akagi. Akagi is something beyond human. Kaiji is just human. Give him a chance to shine for the next several eps once he starts serious gambling :D

BadSeafood said:
Also, Go! Go! Zeppelli.

Yes! Go! Go! Zeppelli! Nyohohoho!
 
Oct 6, 2007 4:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 1663
I never intended to watch this at all, I thought looked really boring. But, I asked someone who had watched it and he said it was great. So afterall I decided to give it a try, and I must agree, it was really entertaining. I loved the OP as well, so I'm looking forward to the next episode.
 
Oct 6, 2007 6:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1185
I loved Akagi. So I'm definatly gonna check this one out. The first episode was pretty interesting. And I'm pretty sure things on that ship are gonna be messed up, in a good way ^^ I always loved the chararcters in Akagi, and Kaiji seems to have that same charm. So yea I've got another show to watch.

ALso Card games are much closer to home then Mahjong so
 
Oct 6, 2007 9:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 263
I don't really like the art style, but the idea of the show seems interesting. I'll give it a few more episodes.
 
Oct 6, 2007 9:56 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 36
Loved the first episode. The show promises to be just as intense as Akagi. And I do appreciate the fact there is going to be be different games played each time.
As far as the art goes, it felt a bit awkward to me when I watched the first few eps of Akagi, but with time one learns to appreciate it. This anime does seem to be suited for a more mature audience, that doesn't need standard commercial artwork, to appreciate the story.
Or to put it more simple, if you don't give this anime a chance because of the artwork, it's entirely your loss :)-
 
Oct 6, 2007 10:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 25
I must be the only person to like Kaiji and Akagi equally. It'd be lame to have another Akagi, because there's the 1% chance of outdoing Akagi and the 99% chance of having an inferior clone. Better to do someone different so you can appreciate the differences of both characters. Though that part where he took 10 million as a start up shows us some promise of awesome.

Art, music, and animation all reminiscent of Akagi, a great series in its own right. I'll definately be watching this to the end.
 
Oct 6, 2007 10:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 18
yami_shinyi said:
It'd be lame to have another Akagi, because there's the 1% chance of outdoing Akagi and the 99% chance of having an inferior clone. Better to do someone different so you can appreciate the differences of both characters.

That's exactly what I wanted to say! Thank you!
and I like both of em too :)
 
Oct 6, 2007 11:31 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 128
I watched the show in response to the praise I had heard for Akagi, and thus far have been quite satisfied by it. This was a great introductory episode, that really pulled me into desperate the world of underground gambling and connected me with the protagonist, who is unlikeable but I can't help root for.

Good show, let the games begin!

 
Oct 7, 2007 1:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
The artwork kinda put me off at the beginning, but I got used to it as the show went on. I was kinda bored throughout the thing, but it was a set-up episode, not to mention the first one, and all these people praising the manga are actually making me feel pretty good about picking this one up =D

I haven't seen Akagi (put it on my plan-to-watch list ten seconds ago <_<), but Kaiji can promise some serious kicking-ass.
 
Oct 7, 2007 5:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1316
I've also never seen akagi @_@ the art style drives people like me away... but i decided to give this one a shot for the heck of it.

restricted rock paper sissors sounds really well thought out. hope this one ends up good
 
Oct 7, 2007 5:36 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3949
I don't think it is all about jankenpon, there is probably much more behind it.

I just hope you guys don't think this is going to be some captain tsubasa or prince of tennis where he suddenly pulls off impossible tricks and do as if it is normal. 8D
 
Oct 7, 2007 10:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 5483
Whahaha, I though it was hilarious.

The art style is errrrr but I got used to it and it sort of adds to the feeling of the show, you know?
Like, it wouldn't be as funny without.

I am definitely going to follow this one.
(Ps. I planned to watch this one, it wasn't random..)
 
Oct 7, 2007 10:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 125
When I heard it was going to resemble Akagi, I just had to watch it, and I did, the OP was great, I will follow this one for sure, which I originally intended to do anyway, since I don't drop anime.

 
Oct 7, 2007 10:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2690
Damnit... I wasnt planning on going anywhere near this one... But with all these comments on it, i think i'll have to give it a go... Even if i do really dislike the artstyle =3= ...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Oct 8, 2007 5:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 247
Oh, how I missed those noses.

I enjoyed the first episode. I love Kaiji already. I can relate him a bit too much. >_>
 
Oct 9, 2007 4:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1674
The op was pretty cool, but that was the shortest op in all of my anime watching history .__.
The ending was bad =__= and the animation was .... not what im used to xD but the plot seems interesting


 
Oct 11, 2007 12:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2690
woah. That was suprisingly pretty darn good. I can get used to the artstyle with a storyline like this. Pretty darn awesome, cant wait till next ep ^^.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Nov 26, 2007 11:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 491
My classmate recommended Kaiji yesterday, so I gave it a try. I really liked the first episode, and now I became really interested in it. :)
 
Nov 26, 2007 2:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1220
I got pretty surprised with Kaiji. Its pretty much like Akagi but it simply has another factor that addicted me.

Never thought that Paper-Rock-Scissors could be this interesting.
 
Mar 24, 2008 6:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4249
I don't really like the character designs, but I'll probably get used to them, in a couple of episodes =P
This episode was a little boring (mostly because it was just an introduction), but this seems like a very promising series (the rule explanation was quite interesting).
 
Oct 20, 2008 7:48 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 616
Well, I've been putting watching this off for a while now considering I've had a lot of other stuff to watch and because of the serious decline in quality in the second half of Akagi. That being said, damn this first episode was excellent. I mean, I figured it would probably be good, but this was much better than I expected. Good soundtrack, great looking story thus far, cool looking character designs like Akagi had, and a main character who is a lot easier to relate to/sympathize with than Akagi. Glad I decided to check this out.
 
Dec 8, 2008 8:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 495
Wow, one of the shows where I actually like the first episode. This show seems awesome as hell.
 
Feb 2, 2009 4:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5240
nice start.
 
Apr 27, 2009 5:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 283
i like it, speeches are interesting..
 
May 13, 2009 2:00 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 580
That was actually pretty interesting. I really like the artstyle, very unique. The BGM is good. I'd like to know how that Rock, Paper, Scissors thing works.
 
Oct 15, 2009 8:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 2829
It is sad to say I can totally relate to his situation, although mine is even worse T - T there is no easy way to get out of it (not that I think that what he's going to get through will be though)

I think you just got own Keiji!
This is reverse psychology!
This is highway robbery!

This is a sink or swim situation. I like it.
 
Dec 1, 2009 5:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 3968
Kinda dislike the narator's voice in Kaiji when compared to the "omnipotent" and ever knowing Amur..I meant narrator in Akagi.

Other than that, one of the best first episode I've seen in quite a while, even if Kaiji was crying a minute after the OP ends....
 
Dec 13, 2009 11:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1419
Oh my god those noses... but still it managed to pique my interest, lets see where it goes from here.
 
Dec 20, 2009 2:54 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 678
its like watching my future...
 
Jan 17, 2010 9:37 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 765
I can't even compare this to Akagi, but it seems interesting.
 
Jan 28, 2010 7:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1310
I've never seen a first episode be so boring and end in such an awesome manner. This is what I call a show. I'm already interested and I didn't once check my e-mail while I watched this. One hell of an accomplishment.
 
Jul 25, 2010 10:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3168
Wasn't expecting for such a boring episode to end in such a twist, and we're only in the first episode.

Looking forward for the next episodes.
 
Nov 16, 2010 7:57 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2429
*Looks at the rating* Hmm.. Good..
*Looks at the popularity* Not so..
*Reads the summary* Interesting
*Watches 1st ep* Liked it..

Though I was pretty hesitant to watch this coz of the artstyle but with the "gambling"

theme, it made sense.. Hope to see more from this.
 
Feb 22, 2011 1:49 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 677
man the art sucks ass. This is starting to look like Liar Game.
 
Jun 24, 2011 1:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1082
as others have said, i did not plan on watching this series. it was mainly because of the character art. but after hearing nothing but good things about it, i slowly became more tolerable of the art and it finally got to a point where i could watch it. well, i gotta say, i think im gonna enjoy this series. 5/5 for the first ep.
 
Sep 3, 2011 11:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 15115
It was okay, I can certainly see some potential but how the hell is this 4 hour cruise going to fit into 26 episodes? I don't how this can't last without wearing thin to be honest.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
 
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »