Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sunshine Sketch
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2012 10:29 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The second and final part featuring the trip of Hiro and Sae.
Also, Yuno is again trying to be a good upperclass(wo)man and stalks Nazuna and Nori. We also get to see the animated version of the public bath chapters.

Great episode as usual, especially Yuno was adorable this week.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 11, 2012 11:45 PM

Jan 2008
MOVE PAST ALL THE PRETENSES AND SUBTLETY!

This made a terrible day so much better.

nutbladder report: Mine shattered. Gotta see a mechanic about this.
Oct 12, 2012 12:03 AM

Jan 2011
Glassblowing gripe below.

As someone who's done glassblowing for 3 years....I can say that was poorly done.

You do not sit and blow. You stand and blow and shape via the table edge or mold. Otherwise it would droop.

You sit to shape the either the base or lip of the piece via a wooden board.

Using the cloth is for adding layers of colour. As we can see, there is no colour in her final product. Also, YOU DO NOT BARE HAND THAT SHIT. The cloth gets hot fast.

And then Sae is working on the lip, the glass was already cooled! She ain't doing shit. That glass needs to be reheated at the lip so it can be workable again. She's also using broad tweezers. Which is really bad for lip shaping, she needs to use needle-nose tweezers.

This could have all been avoided if the someone at the studio would have watched a 1 min video on youtube on real glassblowing. There are hundreds of videos. Or even if they read a tutorial with pictures. Or SOMETHING. This is the future where resources are bountiful.

Especially for what is an "art" show/series and glassblowing is art.
Oct 12, 2012 5:11 AM

Nov 2011
Too... many.. yuri.. undertones, my body can't handle it.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Oct 12, 2012 5:45 AM

Jun 2012
miyako funny as alway .i feel episode so shot when i watch this anime
Oct 12, 2012 6:23 AM

Nov 2009
relax episode.

The art/animation is definitely improved, at least I can see Shaft has poured a little of their love to this lovely series.

And it seems like they put more "soft" comedy than the previous seasons. Shoujo-ai everywhere xD.
Oct 12, 2012 9:06 AM

Sep 2011
i didn't think I would like the Nori/Nazuna pairing as much as I do with Yuno/Miyako or Sae/Hiro considering the comparatively limited screentime they've received. but the combination of their two personalities really makes for some good ear-to-ear grinning action.

Oct 12, 2012 1:21 PM

May 2009
How refreshing.
Yuri undertones just makes everything better, this season may be my favorite if it keeps like this.

But I feel sad when they remember Hiro and Sae are already on their last year...
Oct 12, 2012 1:41 PM

Nov 2011
Not a lot of hidamari fans on MAL, eh?

Shizumi said:

But I feel sad when they remember Hiro and Sae are already on their last year...

I don't think it'd be a problem if all the following seasons(if we get any) will take place in the same year.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Oct 12, 2012 2:07 PM

Apr 2011
Just awesome like always.
The scenes when they all go to a public baths are always very good XD
Also glad that Hiro and Sae are back again.
Already looking forward to next week!
Oct 12, 2012 3:50 PM

Mar 2012
Easily one of the best episodes of the show. And that's saying a lot since I've loved every episode of the show so far.
Oct 12, 2012 4:04 PM

Mar 2012
rederoin said:

I know. It makes me sad. It's so hard to find Hidamari fans here. I'm confused why it isn't popular over here. K-On, Yuruyuri, Lucky Star and a lot of other moe/slice of life shows have a big following.

It's weird because in Japan, Hidamari Sketch is almost as popular as Bakemonogatari. Which is almost as popular as Madoka. Which is almost as popular as K-On. Which is almost as popular as One Piece. Which is almost as popular as Evangelion. It's one of Shaft's biggest shows. So why isn't it popular on MAL?
Oct 12, 2012 4:19 PM

Sep 2011
Apart from Hiro's voice which sounds very scratchy (understandable considering) it was a pretty good episode. They seemed to ramped up the yuri in the Sae x Hiro pairing which personally I don't mind.
Oct 12, 2012 5:10 PM

Dec 2009
Another wonderful episode to make the day better. Also, Mt. Fuji was there!

rederoin said:

It's the fourth season, so only those who loves it will watch!
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Oct 12, 2012 8:48 PM

May 2009
rederoin said:

I was also thinking so, but the previous comment makes sense.
Also, maybe Hidamari style/jokes aren't so appealing for most western people.

rederoin said:
Shizumi said:

I don't think it'd be a problem if all the following seasons(if we get any) will take place in the same year.

But time actually passes on Hidamari right? (Unlike Yuru Yuri for example.) 1 year passed since the beginning of the series, they jumped 1 year, and then we have Nori and Nazuna... Well I hope you're right though, I would miss Hiro and Sae so much if they graduate.
Oct 13, 2012 3:11 AM

Apr 2011
Time really doesn't matter in Hidamari Sketch.
One episode can be December 2nd and the next episode could easily be April 23rd in the SAME year!
They are jumping all over the place, so there is nothing to worry about.
Oct 13, 2012 3:23 AM

Sep 2011
KevinRammstein said:
Time really doesn't matter in Hidamari Sketch.
One episode can be December 2nd and the next episode could easily be April 23rd in the SAME year!
They are jumping all over the place, so there is nothing to worry about.

Well it is going to happen, but Aoki Ume said in the blurb in the end of volume 6 (which I think much of this season comes from) that she wanted to give them one last summer together before the two older girls move on.
Oct 13, 2012 10:07 AM

Apr 2009
Shizumi said:
rederoin said:

I was also thinking so, but the previous comment makes sense.
Also, maybe Hidamari style/jokes aren't so appealing for most western people.

I think the biggest problem that we are in the fourth season of one of the "purest" SoL series out there. Additionally to the problems of being a sequel and therefore limiting it's audience, we have a rather weak and strange first season to keep people away from the series. Also, the "pureness" in Hidamari is - in essence - the fact that it is just a SoL; it doesn't have these over the top yuri undertones in the first season like YuruYuri, it doesn't have as much references as the first Lucky Star episodes and the Hidamaris are certainly not the hyped KyoAni moeblobs like Yui or Mio we are so used to by now. Hidamari is a "grower", you appreciate more the longer you watch it and as the seasons pass, the artstyle is getting closer to the manga and the budget is rising as well you learn to love all the little details that makes this franchise so adorable.

I like the focus Hidamari has, but for a lot of people this is just too bland/uninteresting/boring/whatever you may call it. And that's ok, not everyone has to like it - although I would certainly appreciate more comments here in this section.
NidhoeggrOct 13, 2012 10:11 AM
Oct 13, 2012 10:57 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
although I would certainly appreciate more comments here in this section.
I think I would have enjoyed high school more if I had a teacher that wore squeaky shoes.

Actually, I find it amazing Yoshinoya is not married.
Oct 13, 2012 11:58 AM

Sep 2012
A very entertaining episode. Somehow I find the name of the public bath the funniest

正の湯 (Masa no Yu)
->
まさのゆ
-> (as it can also be read from right to left)
ゆのさま
->
ゆの様 (Yuno-sama)

So clever.

And the Geghis-Khan Caramel taste is also funny, perhaps because I know how Geghis Khan tastes like :-D
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 14, 2012 5:31 AM

Apr 2009
Cratex said:
Nidhoeggr said:
I think I would have enjoyed high school more if I had a teacher that wore squeaky shoes.

Her future partner must be very tolerent.
Oct 14, 2012 1:46 PM

Sep 2008
lanblade said:
Glassblowing gripe below.

Oh, blow it out your glass! ;-)

Oct 14, 2012 3:23 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
Her future partner must be very tolerent.
I suppose you're right, but he wouldn't be bored! ;)
Oct 14, 2012 11:57 PM

May 2008
Awesome episode, loved the bath scene and all.
yet again this put a smile on my face.
Oct 15, 2012 1:00 PM
Apr 2012
Really disappointed. Hidamari Sketch always seemed to rely more on charm, style, and aesthetics, rather than blatant fan service. The bath house scene just didn't seem congruent with what was built up through the first three seasons of the show. Maybe they're just running out of ideas.
Oct 18, 2012 2:05 AM

Sep 2011
Cratex said:
Nidhoeggr said:

I think everyone would appreciate a teacher that offered to have her boobs squeezed for choosing your option! Her and the principle really make this show.
Oct 18, 2012 12:07 PM
Jul 2018
X('___________________________' )
Oct 19, 2012 1:35 PM

Nov 2009
Nidhoeggr said:

The Hidamari style suits for most of the Asian cultures, it just isn't appealing enough for Western cultures though. Because mostly, friends in Asian cultures are the people whom you strongly form a relationship with, not friends you meet through a party at night, and if a person is considered a real friend of yours, the relationship would likely last at least several years, they aren't social friends but rather, people you can rely on. And that's what the relationship of these girls in Hidamari about.

The pacing in Hidamari is rather slow, it takes a while for the audience to familiarize with its jokes and styles. It started off with 4characters, and it got interesting later on when Nazuna and Nori made appearances. And even the smallest detail in Hidamari can be enjoyable. I like those moments when Yuno sits down and enjoy bathing at the end of every episode, memorizes what she had learnt/been through throughout the ep. By that we can notice tiny changes in her development.

The Hidamari styles are rather similar to Aria alot, if you don't like the first episode, then hardly that you will find enjoyments in the whole series, cause 1st episode is pretty much portrayed the entire series style and what is it about. But if you've been addicted to it, it's just hard to get it out of your head.

Another reason, slice of life is keen on audiences, especially with this moe art style like this.

Hidamaris are certainly not the hyped KyoAni moeblobs like Yui or Mio we are so used to by now

K-On has done a thing which Hidamari couldn't: popularizing the slice of life genre. I'd say that I enjoy both of the show. But most of people didn't watch K-On for the SoL elements, they watched it for the arts. Meanwhile it's the opposite with Hidamari. I'm glad that Shaft has increased budgets for this lovely series.
Takana_no_HanaOct 19, 2012 1:50 PM
Oct 21, 2012 11:34 PM

Sep 2012
^ Best post about the appeal of Hidamari Sketch in MAL I have ever seen.

What I want to add is that the art style in Hidamari is not even expected to attract so many moe fans (whereas in the case of K-On the appeal is very clear) but it did, very successfully. It just goes to show how diverse and wideranging moe appeals can be for anime fans in Japan.

And I would say that K-On did not really popularize the slice of life genre. Anime like Sazae-san which was dated decades before K-On already made slice-of-life popular and well-known in Japan. What K-On did is to popularize the slice of life genre in midnight anime with moe-oriented art style and a high school setting
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 24, 2012 12:08 AM

Nov 2010
This was such a funny episode
Bus Gas Explosion! Bus Gas Explosion! Bus Gas Explosion!

The backgrounds were really beautiful
Oct 25, 2012 6:33 AM

Sep 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:

The Hidamari styles are rather similar to Aria alot,

I second that, and all your post by the way.
Feb 14, 2014 9:25 PM

Nov 2013
Takana_no_Hana said:

The Hidamari style suits for most of the Asian cultures, it just isn't appealing enough for Western cultures though. Because mostly, friends in Asian cultures are the people whom you strongly form a relationship with, not friends you meet through a party at night, and if a person is considered a real friend of yours, the relationship would likely last at least several years, they aren't social friends but rather, people you can rely on. And that's what the relationship of these girls in Hidamari about.

The pacing in Hidamari is rather slow, it takes a while for the audience to familiarize with its jokes and styles. It started off with 4characters, and it got interesting later on when Nazuna and Nori made appearances. And even the smallest detail in Hidamari can be enjoyable. I like those moments when Yuno sits down and enjoy bathing at the end of every episode, memorizes what she had learnt/been through throughout the ep. By that we can notice tiny changes in her development.

The Hidamari styles are rather similar to Aria alot, if you don't like the first episode, then hardly that you will find enjoyments in the whole series, cause 1st episode is pretty much portrayed the entire series style and what is it about. But if you've been addicted to it, it's just hard to get it out of your head.

Another reason, slice of life is keen on audiences, especially with this moe art style like this.

Hidamaris are certainly not the hyped KyoAni moeblobs like Yui or Mio we are so used to by now

K-On has done a thing which Hidamari couldn't: popularizing the slice of life genre. I'd say that I enjoy both of the show. But most of people didn't watch K-On for the SoL elements, they watched it for the arts. Meanwhile it's the opposite with Hidamari. I'm glad that Shaft has increased budgets for this lovely series.

well said, as Asian I agree with your post, but then again in present time most of young people in here relying their youth relationship on social media
maybe that's why I also can't see lot of people liking this show on our local forum.

I like how ordinary this show is, becasuse you can feel it in your real life when you interact face to face with your friends.

Though I kind of disagree if you said Nori and Nazuna made it more interesting,
I feel they kinda draging off other characters development in 3rd season, yet I don't see any special personality in Nori and Nazuna,
Sae Hiro Yuno Miya already covered it up.
And because it means less appreance time for Miyako T_T

I hope that's changing in this season, which I can see it in the first 2 episode.
inochi ga kurikaesu naraba nandomo kimi no moto e ...
... if life can be repeated, i'll go to you many times over
Aug 6, 2014 11:39 PM

Aug 2013
Sae: "How were things when we were away?"
Nazuna: "Miyako-san's boobs were amazing."

LOL!

Nori and Nazuna's reaction to Yuno-sama in the bath house entryway was the same as Yuno's reaction in...was it S1 or S2? Miyako still with her drink-milk-first routine XD
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 3, 2014 5:53 AM

May 2012
Great episode, let's see what's next!
Aug 23, 2016 5:16 PM
Aug 2008
Well, I like both K-On! and this, so, hey...

"Why did you bring one with wheels?" And why did you stand on it? Like it or not, your kouhai is taller... Okay, maybe it's a senpai pride thing...

Well isn't this nostalgic. Aside from none of them being singled out to be randomly told her seiyuu. Lots of rehashing here, from "yu-no-sa-ma" to drinking the milk first to running for the sliding door.

I've heard of Genghis Khan (the food) from Azumanga Daioh, and yes, I would expect a mixture of it and caramel to be received about as well. It's probably more popular for the curiosity factor; most people probably don't get it a second time.
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Jan 2, 2017 12:57 PM

Aug 2016
"Hey Miyako-san, can I touch your boobs?"
"Sure, I guess"
I love that reaction so much, no other anime girl would be so chill about something like that.
She's, like, a massive tomboy, but she's also completely comfortable with herself and her own body.
Feb 20, 2021 10:04 AM

Feb 2020
Yet another sweet episode. :)

SerafosJan 8, 2:09 AM
Feb 26, 2023 4:04 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I really like how we saw the two groups doing their activities, especially how the lower years got closer when the 3rd year were on the trip

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 6 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Nov 8, 2012

35 by Dealka97 »»
Apr 18, 2023 5:49 AM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 3 Discussion

Panaru - Oct 19, 2012

34 by Dealka97 »»
Apr 17, 2023 9:18 AM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 12 Discussion

MikuLove39 - Dec 21, 2012

32 by Ashhk »»
Feb 28, 2023 4:14 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 11 Discussion

bippo - Dec 13, 2012

28 by Ashhk »»
Feb 28, 2023 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 10 Discussion

bippo - Dec 6, 2012

19 by Ashhk »»
Feb 28, 2023 4:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.