Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 4, 2012 3:20 PM
Sep 2011
This episode definitely got me hooked. One aspect that immediately stood out to me was the prevalent use of orchestral classical soundtrack which, combined with the Shakespearian elements (Mahiro quoting Hamlet: "The time is out of joint" and the whole island setting with magical aspects referring to "The Tempest") gave the episode the impression of a play, which appealed to me. They do have to pay attention that they don't overdo it with the quotes, otherwise it will seem more for show rather than using them as a fundament for more substantial matters.

The dialogue contained a lot of subtext, especially in the first half, and succeeded at getting across the relationship between Mahiro and Yoshino without stating it explicitly. While the former one is clearly based on the vengeful and slightly mad Hamlet, seeking revenge for his murdered relatives, it's not quite clear to me who the latter one's character is supposed to be based on. However, it is apparent that his unassuming exterior hides a cunning side of him as it is implied by his secret relationship with Aika and her opinion of him. I wonder if Mahiro will meet the same fate as his spiritual predecessor...

I like the pacing so far, it's straightforward and doesn't waste time on insignificant things. The story is shrouded in mysteries and I have the feeling Aika's puzzling demise will be one of the most important cases needed to get solved to understand the two male protagonists.
EudaimoniaOct 4, 2012 3:59 PM
Oct 4, 2012 3:22 PM

Dec 2010
Oh ya forgot to mention XD; the OP is really awesome :D, if i recall its also the song they used for the PV.
Oct 4, 2012 3:25 PM

Jan 2011
[center]
Oct 4, 2012 3:30 PM

Mar 2012
WOW, this anime is really interesting!!...
can't wait for the next ep!
Oct 4, 2012 3:31 PM

Oct 2010
Alpha_Centauri said:
A excellent show of the action and Mahiro is badass.

I still think of:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1243/Night_Head_Genesis
and get vibes all the time despite this series being different from it. There is some feeling from it that stems into this series.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Oct 4, 2012 3:33 PM

Jun 2011
Hmm I personally didn't like it that much. Will keep watching though.

First impressions: 6/10
Oct 4, 2012 3:38 PM
Nov 2008
DAT ANIMATION! *drools* Wow episode 1 was a ''blast'' indeed O.O from all points of view.
Oct 4, 2012 3:38 PM

Sep 2012
The story looks pretty generic thus far, but the characters look promising and DAT ANIMATION!
Oct 4, 2012 3:55 PM

Mar 2011
Wow
Very interesting
somehow everything about this anime just feels right
Music and character are great.
And that fighting animation is pretty awesome
Love it
Oct 4, 2012 3:55 PM

Dec 2007
Pretty good first episode I'm liking it so far..:P
And damn the opening song is my new LSS :P
Oct 4, 2012 4:04 PM

Aug 2011
Amazing first episode. I have a feeling this is gonna be one of m favorites for this anime season. Both the main characters are really cool and everyone else we have seen seem very interesting. I hope each one of them get developed throughout the show.
Oct 4, 2012 4:11 PM

Aug 2011
Holy shit... How good was that?! Damn, BONES, I knew you would impress me, but not this much! I am in awe. Yoshino doesn't seem like your typical guy thrust in a huge conflict - he definitely has something up his sleeve. Mahiro is just a badass. The chick voiced by Sawashiro Miyuki also seems interesting. I hope they join up later.

The animation and the music were amazing.
Oct 4, 2012 4:21 PM

Nov 2011
I won't say much more on this but this series is definitely going to have an anime original ending as this single episode covered quite a lot of chapters from the manga.

But again though, Bones' for epic visual artwork.
Oct 4, 2012 4:27 PM

Jun 2008
Stark700 said:
I won't say much more on this but this series is definitely going to have an anime original ending as this single episode covered quite a lot of chapters from the manga.

But again though, Bones' for epic visual artwork.

I was thinking precisely the same. I bet the manga will still be running long after this anime ends.
Anyway, even if they changed some things from the manga, it is still an awesome adaptation. I really love they kept the art, and I like VA´s and the pacing. ;)

and dat soundtrack...amazing!

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 4, 2012 4:37 PM

Nov 2011
Orulyon said:
I was thinking precisely the same. I bet the manga will still be running long after this anime ends.
Anyway, even if they changed some things from the manga, it is still an awesome adaptation. I really love they kept the art, and I like VA´s and the pacing. ;)

and dat soundtrack...amazing!

Ya, Kana Hanazawa played Aika's role pretty well.
Oct 4, 2012 4:37 PM
Aug 2011
I had good expectations but this started better than I thought it would.
We're getting spoiled these days with nice animation and still there's still a few more series left that will wave more candy in front of my eyes.

Stark700 said:

You think so? I liked pacing, hopefully it keeps it up like this because this can easily drag in future episodes.

Orulyon said:
Anyway, even if they changed some things from the manga, it is still an awesome adaptation.

I liked some of the things they added even if some were minimal.

Why is this still 'not yet aired'? Makes me feel slightly OCD.
standOct 4, 2012 4:48 PM
Oct 4, 2012 4:48 PM

Sep 2008
this was so random...he just became a magician in a month, and is fighting against the world
Vylash said:
holy crap, this show officially has my attention

exactly that
this could be the best anime of the season
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Oct 4, 2012 4:50 PM

Jul 2012
This anime surprised me. I really like the art and animation flow of it. The characters looks interesting as well, I'll continue to look forward for more of this anime. :'3
Mahiro was a BEAST.
Oct 4, 2012 4:56 PM
Sep 2012
I thought that this episode was okay though it has potential to be good. I look forward to the next episode and hope that I'm not disappointed. *fingers crossed*

PS. I love the fact that I can understand this anime song without subtitles.
IconicOct 4, 2012 5:03 PM
Oct 4, 2012 4:57 PM

Feb 2008
Generic as all hell but at least it's flashy, I suppose.
Oct 4, 2012 5:20 PM

Feb 2008
I'm not pleased with that island woman. We'll see how it turns out. Doesn't seem too promising.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 4, 2012 5:21 PM

Mar 2012
How dare anyone involved with this even utter Shakespeare's name.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 4, 2012 5:25 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Post-Moe said:
LOL - That is THE best comment I've seen around here in weeks!
Oct 4, 2012 5:39 PM

Dec 2011
I loved EVERYTHING in this! So amazing, especially the wonderful animation!
Oct 4, 2012 5:42 PM

Nov 2007
The boy that can use magic sounds more like Mamo than pink hair guy from Kimi to Boku. when deeper voice. So he got the power from that girl who got exiled to island (Sawashiro-san's character). And Hanazawa-san's character is bitter. Edit: after looking through the characters, I realized there are also memory scenes because as the boy that can use magic's sister, Hanazawa-san's appearance was a memory talk.

OP at ED and it looks cool. Looks interesting so far, but I will marathon it when finished.
tsubasaloverOct 4, 2012 6:22 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 4, 2012 5:51 PM

Jun 2011
Woah. Yoshino witnesses his best friend beat the crap out of some woman with magic, and yet he doesn't seem to be too surprised with it. He just stood there, seemingly uninterested. I would have at least expected a 'what the hell' type of reaction. But hey, I guess having a protagonist that doesn't spend too much time worrying about stuff is a nice change.
Oct 4, 2012 5:57 PM

May 2012
It's kinda confusing but has a great potential...
Oct 4, 2012 6:05 PM

Jun 2009
My expectations were quite exceeded, to be honest.
henecksOct 4, 2012 6:11 PM
Oct 4, 2012 6:16 PM

Feb 2008
Hmm, just occurred to me that Aika's murder may have to do with Yoshino flaking on their dates, leaving her at home at the time of the burglary. Any thoughts?
Oct 4, 2012 6:24 PM

May 2011
Somehow this made me think of Tatakau Shisho even though there's not really anything similar in story or characters. Maybe something about the tone. Anyway, I enjoyed it so far, but I'm a sucker for stories of friendships when smashed together in less than ideal circumstances.
Oct 4, 2012 6:28 PM

Feb 2012
I read this manga but it was unexpected how in the manga Yoshino beat Fraulein but in the anme Fraulein beat Yoshino so guys

HERE IT IS MY ANIME EPISODE REVIEW FOR ZETSUEN NO TEMPEST HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOY
http://youtu.be/PJK-kCS4BWg

AND I WATCHED THIS FROM CRUNCHYROLL SO IF YOUR NOT A MEMBER YOU GOTTA WAIT A WHOLE NOTHER WEEK OR GO TO A SITE IM SURE THEY HAVE FANSUBS
It is impossible to achieve perfection, For our essence is already perfect
Oct 4, 2012 6:31 PM

Nov 2008
Wow, I'm hooked! But who is the actual main protagonist of this story?

I kind of felt BL vibes from this, anyone else feel that way?
Oct 4, 2012 6:33 PM

Feb 2012
I think the actual main character is Yoshino and Mahiro might be that badass character that dies or something I HOPE IM WRONG
It is impossible to achieve perfection, For our essence is already perfect
Oct 4, 2012 6:36 PM
Feb 2012
Seems like it could be a great anime. The art and animation was pretty awesome in my opinion so im looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 4, 2012 6:36 PM

Mar 2012
ClementIV said:

I think the non-magical Justin Bieber is, because everyone loves a zero to hero. I could be wrong though.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 4, 2012 7:00 PM

Feb 2012
I was looking forward to this and it definitely did not disappoint. Awesome Anime is awesome, albeit pretty ridiculous, rushed, and having uncanny resemblances with Guilty Crown.

So far i have a problem with Mahiro though, and Yoshino is pretty thick headed. Stands there while his friend beats the crud out of someone? With magic? Yeah....
Hopefully they reveal his reasons soon. I'm guessing he had powers from the beginning or something, considering the constant hints to his 'lying' and distrustful nature.
MC you can't trust? I like that.

Also THOSE GRAPHICS. THAT OST.
Oct 4, 2012 7:06 PM
Jul 2018
Good music, this definitely a high quality production that I havent seen in a while, very good
Oct 4, 2012 7:14 PM

Jan 2011
Fall is shaping up to be quite good looking forward to seeing how this turns out pretty nice killer face Mahiro had on when he was fighting that girl, so glad Yoshino wasn't voiced by the same guy that did Shu they look to much alike lol

OP or End was good too
Oct 4, 2012 7:41 PM

Mar 2012
This was a fantastic introductory episode, delivering a large, but compelling, amount of exposition and character development without noticeably faltering in it's execution. The setting is especially interesting, as it exudes a mysterious, bleak atmosphere, particularly during the moment when the black iron syndrome began to infect the bodies of those within the city. Despite it's common and prevalent nature, the theme of revenge is an excellent one, as this recurring element provides the potential for a variety of unexpected, emotional conflicts to arise.

The strange, uncertain nature of Aika's death and her unknown murderer provide the central, motivating factors of the story, as the main characters are haunted by their memories of her. As Mahiro appears to be entirely unaware of Yoshino's past relationship with Aika, it will be interesting to see how that hidden knowledge develops, as it seems likely to eventually create an emotional fracture between them, potentially leading to a violent confrontation. Also, another mystery that could be elaborated on in the future is the possibility that Yoshino might know quite a bit more than he's currently divulging concerning the circumstances of Aika's murder, since the gradual development of this point appears to be slightly foreshadowed.

My favorite scene, of course, was the fight between Mahiro and Evangeline, as it temporarily provided some intense, brilliantly animated action, culminating with the rather brutal finish, in which he knocks her unconscious by slamming her head to the ground. I also greatly enjoyed the final scene where the chained sphere rises out of the water, since it essentially signifies this looming, ominous threat. It's a really effective note to conclude the episode on.

Mahiro's desire to avenge the death of his sister is an intriguing motive; one that might inspire in him a violent darkness that could, if it hasn't already, consume him, potentially creating a distinctly cold, wholly unsympathetic antihero. Yoshino's personality and emotional state is a bit more uncertain and vague at the moment, since he seemed a bit detached and relatively incapable of displaying any sort of strong reaction to Aika's death. The two female characters haven't been given nearly as much development, but I definitely expect that to change within the next episode or so, as it wasn't a particularly necessary requirement for this one, since, aside from establishing Hakaze's whereabouts and importance to the narrative, as well as noting Aika's death, they weren't all that integral.

I really enjoyed the focus on Yoshino's character and perspective throughout this episode, as he's the most interesting character up to this point. I do expect Hakaze to be my favorite character eventually, and, of course, it certainly helps that she's voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro. In fact, the voice acting all around was terrific, and, even though it was certainly overwrought, I really liked the occasional quoting of Shakespeare's Hamlet. I don't particularly have any significant criticisms at the moment, but I am, however, a bit hesitant to fully embrace the story, as it certainly has the potential to devolve into a plethora of continual contrivances, which would be rather unfortunate, since the story, so far, is extremely interesting, layered, and wonderfully complex.

Ando was terrific here, as his confident direction and superb handling of the material created a combination of various, contrasting elements that rarely failed to impress. As such, the production qualities were outstanding. The direction, as well as the cinematography, was excellent, particularly in the creative framing of several large-scale moments, along with the methodical pans across various scenes. The animation was superb, especially in how meticulously the small, inconsequential movements and specific nuances were captured. This impressive attention to detail was most evident in the brief action sequence between Mahiro and Evangeline.

Despite being a bit slow and drawn-out at times, this episode was consistently well-paced, rarely lingering on a single emotion or exposition-heavy conversation for too long. I liked how the flashbacks were naturally interwoven into the story without feeling too overtly jarring, since they were rather essential in providing a certain level of insight into the emotional machinations of these characters. Oshima's orchestral score is incredible, as it illuminates the melancholic, foreboding tone beautifully, thus becoming one of the very best aspects of the show.

All in All, Zetsuen no Tempest is thoroughly impressive so far, particularly in regards to it's amazing production qualities, aided by the rather compelling narrative and intriguing set of characters. As such, it's an extremely promising start, and it definitely exceeded my expectations. I'm hopeful that, due to Ando's influence, it's immense potential isn't squandered by the story turning into an unnecessarily convoluted mess. As for now, i don't exactly know which direction the story will take, but I'm certainly excited to find out.
Lelouch22Oct 4, 2012 7:58 PM
Oct 4, 2012 7:45 PM

Feb 2010
interesting... but it didn't really impress me... but I liked it enough to try the "3 episode test period"....
Oct 4, 2012 7:46 PM

Jan 2011
Awesome first episode. I'm really liking this Anime. Animation is great, as expected from Bones. It does have some similarities with Guilty Crown (or maybe it should be the other way round seeing as how Zetsuen no Tempest is originally a manga haha). At first I did think this was some BL, good thing the 'girlfriend' stuff surfaced.

Also digging the OP. :D
Oct 4, 2012 8:02 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Finally! That was amazing. Some good mystery and magic. The music really helped set up the atmosphere, I liked that.
Will continue watching.

Post-Moe said:

BatoKusanagiOct 4, 2012 8:19 PM
Oct 4, 2012 8:15 PM
Oct 2010
Ohoh this was very enjoyable. Honestly, the first half of the episode was confusing, and I was thinking whoa wait what the heck is going on? where is this going? But when it finished, I had a sensation of completeness.
I have high hopes for this.

Oct 4, 2012 8:24 PM

Mar 2012
Seems I'm the only one who didn't enjoy the 1st episode. Hope it gets better though.
Oct 4, 2012 8:25 PM

Oct 2011
Post-Moe said:
ClementIV said:

I think the non-magical Justin Bieber is, because everyone loves a zero to hero. I could be wrong though.

HAHAHA omfg lololol I burst out laughing at your Bieber comment.

Now for my opinion. Mahiro seems like the much more interesting guy anyway. I didn't really care for Yoshino -- typical indifferent main character. LOVED the episode though. Probably my favorite first episode of fall animes.
Oct 4, 2012 8:28 PM

Nov 2007
Interesting so far. Both male main characters are cool, and Mahiro is especially badass. Seems that yeah he thinks the dead sister is his gf?

Then comes the magic, and crazy stuff with the one chick stuck on the island. This should be fun.

Hoping it wasn't going to be bromance shit like No.6 , but thankfully there are girls and girls of interest.
Oct 4, 2012 8:32 PM

Feb 2012
Animation is exceptional :D
OP(?) Theme is also not bad.

Storyline still haven't gotten me yet though~
Will keep watching just because I already started watching it.
Hoping I enjoy it more too :)
Oct 4, 2012 8:45 PM

Nov 2007
This is way better than what I thought it would be. Too bad we are not going to see Aika alive. She was quite the beautiful one.

Looks like we are in for a nice ride this season!

5/5 for episode 1!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 4, 2012 8:54 PM

Apr 2009
first anime in a while that gave me the chills.. this is awesome.. i can't stop myself from really loving this.. the BGM builds the atmosphere so darn well.. i don't know how this would go for the story but it seems so interesting and they're really making good use of the good animation for the fights.. i have faith in Studio BONES..

also, we got Kana Hanazawa, Miyuki Sawashiro and Nana Mizuki in one anime.. and they're all voicing hawt/badass/more-than-meets-the-eye female characters, particularly Fraulein Evangeline Yamamoto.. both main characters are also cool.. Mahiro is badass while Yoshino seems to be hiding something..

and this line:
世の中の関節は外れてしまった。
ああなんと呪われた因果が
それをなおすために生まれついたとは!

can't remove it from myself and i just keep on reciting this..
argiliumOct 4, 2012 8:59 PM
Oct 4, 2012 8:57 PM

Sep 2011
holyshit Mahiro, he's a BRO, MAHIRO IS A BRO, hit that bitch hard, mayn.
at first i thought this was going to be crap, but damn did they surprise me.

MAHIRO Y U SO GAR? Mahiro is even more badass than akatsuki, looks like i'll be lovin tis series.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

398 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

116 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 10:47 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2013

260 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2013

278 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2013

138 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 8:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.