Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 8, 2012 8:46 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
We all got trolled!! But I already know Kenji would pass since I read the chinese raws last week. :)

And it's nice to see Mutta going to houston before Hibito leaves for space. :)
Sep 8, 2012 8:55 PM

Feb 2012
The Director was nice enough to planned around Hibito's departure. I was very happy to see that Kenji made it.
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 8, 2012 8:55 PM

Sep 2010
More Kimchi that's about to expire ? Yes! was the funniest part.
Sep 8, 2012 9:41 PM

May 2012
Nodame Serika
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Sep 8, 2012 9:58 PM

Aug 2012
Nice transitioning/merging with the airplane flight and Serika eating.

Good luck Mutta and Kenji.

I hope we get to see more of Teshima. Too bad he dropped the exam, but now he is free to accomplish his real dream.

We probably won't though. Along with Fukuda/Furuya.

Stephen_CurrySep 8, 2012 10:01 PM
Lebron James Sucks
Sep 8, 2012 10:16 PM

Aug 2011
EEEEP! Kenji made it!!!! I'm SO happy!!! Ka-pe to him and Mutta :3

I like that the show took time to explore the background of Teshima; the creators never leave out any characters, which is so refreshing. Honestly, I didn't even give 2 thoughts to Teshima; had this episode not featured him, I would've forgotten about him completely. But this episode made me remember him and I also hope that we get to see how is work pans out in the future. Another ka-pe!!

Next week: The worst possible interviewer~ Looking forward to it!
Sep 8, 2012 10:21 PM

Jan 2012
I am actually happy for what Yuuri did, he followed his dream in such a wonderful way. He did something his dad couldn't do and what he wanted for him, and he is still doing what he's always wanted to do.
Sep 8, 2012 11:15 PM

Oct 2011
ah~ that was a busy episode and alot happened but it was good and funny as usual :)
Sep 8, 2012 11:26 PM

May 2008
The red bean paste on Serika's face disappeared... HAXXXXXX. Finally Mutta meets Hibito again , dam , how many episodes is this series going to have . it seems like everything is falling into place already .

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Sep 9, 2012 1:10 AM

May 2012
greenmush said:
The red bean paste on Serika's face disappeared... HAXXXXXX. Finally Mutta meets Hibito again , dam , how many episodes is this series going to have . it seems like everything is falling into place already .

This fabulous series ahs me grinning form ear to ear very single episode!

And dont worry, the rumor about being 48+ eps at least is definitely true!

An strounat will have a voice role in an episode that will ait around november I think, so yes, we will have more uchuu kyoudai, most likely 2 more cour to be a total of 4 at the least.

With its awesoem raiting who knows, it may go beyond if theres enough source material.

SOURCE: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-07-14/astronaut-hoshide-to-record-space-brothers-cameo-from-space
9988Sep 9, 2012 1:14 AM
Sep 9, 2012 3:41 AM
Oct 2011
9988 said:

With its awesoem raiting who knows, it may go beyond if theres enough source material.

SOURCE: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-07-14/astronaut-hoshide-to-record-space-brothers-cameo-from-space
18 volumes are out, so there is around 160-170 chapters in total, enough material for another 2 cours after the first 4 cours/first 48+ episodes.

Kurini said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
We all got trolled!! But I already know Kenji would pass since I read the chinese raws last week. :)
Well the scanlators went beyond this episode in translating a couple of days ago, the next 2 episode's chapters has been also translated so if anyone's interested this episode was chapter 45, 3 more chapter are available. For me I'll skip on that, the anime adaptation is great by itself, the OST are really awesome and without them this show wouldn't be that awesome.

Another great episode, it looks like that Mukku/Mook has some meaning in Japanese, a character's name or something like that, here's the page in the manga.
Sep 9, 2012 6:03 AM

Feb 2012
I love Kenji's daughter :D
Sep 9, 2012 6:29 AM
May 2012
That was close, i thought Kenji didn't really get chosen, good for him. Also, finally got to see Teshima's story. Too bad he chose to drop out, but nevertheless he chose to follow his dream, which is very admirable. I'm liking this series because of their focus on other character's stories instead of the main, and hopefully i get to see others, if there are.
Sep 9, 2012 9:28 AM

Jun 2010
That ending, Serika, the singing, Fuuka, and the card were the best parts of the episode. Of course, every part of this was great and Yuuri and Serika's sections were heartwarming, no character leaves without a backstory. Good on him for following his dreams. It's great.
Sep 9, 2012 10:48 AM

May 2008
And yet again this show never fails to make my day. I'm so glad that Kenji also made it. If not, that would has left a bad taste in my mouth.
Sep 9, 2012 11:08 AM

Jun 2010
Mutta having not enough credits totally destroyed the mood. Hilarious hahaha.
Sep 9, 2012 4:57 PM

Feb 2011
Glad he gets to come.

Serika was just too happy.
Sep 9, 2012 7:06 PM

Nov 2011
Anyone pls do some light for me: why is tehre written year "2025" on Serika's diary? Is this series set in the future? Did i miss something?
Sep 9, 2012 7:21 PM

Oct 2011
Morridine said:
Anyone pls do some light for me: why is tehre written year "2025" on Serika's diary? Is this series set in the future? Did i miss something?

Yes,it's set in the future.
Mutta was born in 93 & is in his early 30s in this series.That math clearly states this is taking place past 2012 by a little more than a decade.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Sep 9, 2012 8:11 PM

Jul 2011
Yes it's in the future! You can tell because a few devices look a bit odd.

Grin on my face at the end of the episode. Happy to see Hibito again too. :D

Go Yuuri! I loved that ocean scene they put in there. What's yet to come! XD
Sep 10, 2012 12:22 AM

May 2010
Muta killing kid dream one at a time haha. why would they give him that job + when did the cone heads come back haha
Sep 10, 2012 12:46 AM

Mar 2012
sad reality, not many watching this awesome show (13,906 members) while SAO, i presume, had more before it even start. Only 2 pages comments, while SAO has 30+, though i know there´s not much to talk about. :)
huntxSep 10, 2012 12:49 AM
Sep 10, 2012 1:24 AM

Jul 2011
RandyF said:
Nice transitioning/merging with the airplane flight and Serika eating

This! I loved this scene, and Serika dancing was pretty hilarious.
Sep 10, 2012 1:36 AM

Mar 2011
Love this
Glad Kenji is chosen
Sep 10, 2012 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
Another fantastic episode :)
Yuuri getting a backstory was unexpected but I liked it as it gave him development as to why he did the whole exam and how he discovered what he truly want to do.

Mutta and Kenji are so good friends- they both called the examiner to ask why didn't the other person get picked, I hope Hibito gets to meet Kenji sometime. So relieved when Kenji got picked it wouldn't have been right otherwise Mizoguchi would have influentially affected Kenji's Dream.

Serika also being given a bit of a backstory was nice to see as well, and with the transition with Mutta being on the plane and her looking at it was so nicely done :).

Mutta Claus was just too funny, his reactions after doing it are so like him :L, and the 22% cake xD. And the money came into play when going for the train- looks like it would have been an smooth goodbye then he walks into the barrier and falls backwards :L, small moments like that give me such a good chuckle :).

@huntx
I would rather have less comments about this show from people who truly enjoy it and are interested in it and want to talk about all the people and the plotline then 30 pages of comments about shipping and who should go with who etc... :)
Sep 10, 2012 5:17 AM

May 2008
Im glad that Kenji was chosen despite the other dropping out.

This series always give me a smile on my face while watching
Sep 10, 2012 6:28 AM
Aug 2011
huntx said:
sad reality, not many watching this awesome show (13,906 members) while SAO, i presume, had more before it even start. Only 2 pages comments, while SAO has 30+, though i know there´s not much to talk about. :)

There not much to talk about SAO either. Most of those discussions are probably just one liners and pointless arguments.
I only saw 1 discussion thread of it, and 5+ Pages were complaints about a 5-second fanservice scene.

Back on topic.
I really was happy that Kenji also passed. Mutta, Kenji and Serika need to make it all the damn way.

Never a dull episode, 5/5.
Changing my overall score from 9/10 to 10/10.
A true masterpiece in the making.
Sep 10, 2012 11:21 AM

Jul 2010
Excellent episode. This series just keeps getting better and better. Probably best slice of life of 2012.
Sep 10, 2012 12:38 PM

Nov 2011
Thats very more like it

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 10, 2012 6:53 PM

May 2011
Oh gosh, so happy, I wouldn't even be able to measure my elation against anything. But aside from the cuteness of Kenji's kid, funny Santa times, and happiness at Kenji getting in, I was surprised at my feelings in the Yuuri situation. Probably the whole expectations of family being familiar thing, but I definitely teared up about that. I hope he makes it far and that he and the gang meet up somehow in the future. :)
Sep 11, 2012 4:33 AM

Nov 2011
huntx said:

+:P
But i do think it's a matter of target audience. We are watching cartoons still, SAO is a series than can be enjoyed by a lot more ppl in a wide age range. Uchuu Kyoudai is slightly more mature and has a niche sort of plot... Few years ago if I was to read the plot I wouldn;t have cared about it either. I just started watching it because I am also trying to make my way into the flight crew. And this show has been a great deal of inspiration and probably the best morale booster out there xD

Wish there were more shows like this
Sep 12, 2012 1:32 PM

Aug 2009
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
huntx said:

There not much to talk about SAO either. Most of those discussions are probably just one liners and pointless arguments.
I only saw 1 discussion thread of it, and 5+ Pages were complaints about a 5-second fanservice scene.

Back on topic.
I really was happy that Kenji also passed. Mutta, Kenji and Serika need to make it all the damn way.

Never a dull episode, 5/5.
Changing my overall score from 9/10 to 10/10.
A true masterpiece in the making.

In my short time with SAO, I don't and probably never will understand the appeal that comes with it. Personally, I think it's overrated and corny (isn't this basically .hack?), and can't take its premise seriously at all. Obviously if I brought that to the whole SAO discussion, I'd be called out and labeled a 'hater.' But that's the way things are, I guess.

This is by far the most enjoyable show I've seen in 2012 (other than a few shows like Fate/Zero I guess). I wouldn't mind giving it a 10 too if it keeps up like this. The only 'flaw' I could see is that it takes things slow sometimes, but I appreciate how they're doing it for the sake of character development. Which, I'm totally okay with.
Sep 12, 2012 1:48 PM
May 2011
I don't get why someone can't like both Uchuu Kyoudai and SAO. Sure, UK is more Mature and all, but i think SAO is good too. Sure, it's fucking overrated, but it's not that bad either.

P.S: Does somebody know if this will last for the Fall Season too? Mutta finally making it to space would be a good final, but it still isn't announced. Plus, the opening changing at ep.13 suggests that this is a 26-ep series. But I still have doubts, since nothing is confirmed. (Not that I would like it to end, just asking.)

Oh and about the episode, I didn't expect Teshima to have such a backstory, every character has interesting reasons till now. If it goes on, i think that we'll know more about Kitamura and the guys from Group C too.
Rating things is overrated.
Sep 12, 2012 1:59 PM

Aug 2009
SAO is one of the shows I want to like, but for some reason I just can't. I'm not saying it's because UK is 'way more mature' than SAO. Some people are, but definitely not me. Both are different, obviously; I just don't find the premise of SAO appealing. I don't think I need to explain in detail why I do or don't like a particular show, I just don't. SAO is probably good, and of course a lot of people are in agreement that it is. I guess I'm not one of them.

Anyway, moving on. To answer your question, I think UK will reach 50 or possibly more episodes. They've been having real-life astronauts cameo in some episodes (one of them already cameo-d in an earlier episode), and they're having another one in an upcoming episode, which will probably air around October-November.
dietmangoSep 12, 2012 2:03 PM
Sep 12, 2012 2:03 PM
Oct 2011
-Crys said:
I don't get why someone can't like both Uchuu Kyoudai and SAO. Sure, UK is more Mature and all, but i think SAO is good too. Sure, it's fucking overrated, but it's not that bad either.

P.S: Does somebody know if this will last for the Fall Season too? Mutta finally making it to space would be a good final, but it still isn't announced. Plus, the opening changing at ep.13 suggests that this is a 26-ep series. But I still have doubts, since nothing is confirmed. (Not that I would like it to end, just asking.)

Oh and about the episode, I didn't expect Teshima to have such a backstory, every character has interesting reasons till now. If it goes on, i think that we'll know more about Kitamura and the guys from Group C too.
Uchuu Kyoudai's demographic is the total opposite of SAO's, while UK's fan-base is mostly grown-ups (it's seinen after-all, with older characters) or casual anime fans, SAO's fan-base consists of gamers, otaku, maybe lolicons and some other demographics similar to those I mentioned (and there are lots of those, and SAO's characters are cute teenagers), so I don't think it's likely for someone to like both at the same time, exceptions are always to be found but I don't think you (for example) consider it a great show rather than an average entertaining show, do you?

It has been mentioned that some astronaut iirc will appear as a VA of his character in November, so yes this will probably last until next year.

Edit: Ninj'd
Sep 14, 2012 4:56 AM

Mar 2009
Best episode ever! So glad Kenji made it after all! It would have been a crime to end their rivalry/friendship so soon.
Sep 14, 2012 6:08 PM

Aug 2008
we are a bit off topic but that's okay, half of the SAO discussion are kind of off topic.
As I was reading some forum discussion in the SAO forum, I thought, the best anime series this year (up to now) that I like the best is Uchuu Kyoudai and Hyouka. But I still like SAO but I won't consider it as the "best" series ever, because it has its flaws but it didn't stop me to enjoy it. In the other hand, Uchuu Kyoudai is really an awesome series (I would say it's more mature people or people who are not new into anime) It's really down to earth with its silly and heartwatching moments. But well, everyone has it own taste, that's why there are so
much variety of series and some of them are always being released and I'll never understand (fanservice harem, lolicon...)

I just realize that almost all the B team got to the last (?) exam!
Sep 18, 2012 12:59 PM

Jan 2011
Hell yeah, great episode!
I'm so happy Kenji passed, and the side stories of the other characters were really nice to hear.
I can't wait for more.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Sep 21, 2012 9:01 AM

Jan 2011
haha they are so bad, making us assume Kenji did not pass... kape!

nice story abour Yuuri too
Dec 30, 2012 9:49 PM

Jul 2009
THEY ARE SUCH TROLLS. Kenji ended up passing after all! :O I'm glad they're such friends, calling up JAXA and asking why the other wasn't chosen ... awww :')
Wow Mutta working as Santa ... LOL the first girl was like YOU'RE NOT SANTA WTF -_- XD The other little boy that didn't want any vegetables ... poor guy ;P
Ah, interesting story for Teshima to drop out. I didn't expect that ... well, maybe I did? He did hesitate to sign the form after all. I guess his true dream was to explore for extraterrestrial life. I would have thought becoming an astronaut would help that though? Well it's tough to follow in somebody else's footsteps. I liked how his father said he named him after Yuri, and to name the life he found after himself (Yuuri). Sweet :3
Lots of touching moments like Serika writing the journal for her dad, and then Kenji seeing Mutta off as he goes to Houston again (LOL NOT HAVING ENOUGH MONEY XD). Also at the beginning ... Mutta and his cake ... oh my god lol XD
Time passes quickly ... looks like we will have the final exam next episode already?! :O A jealous interviewer's never a good thing ... D:
Jul 23, 2014 4:34 PM

Nov 2011
I lol'd @ the Christmas requests. What an episode. Good to know that Kenji made it too!
Aug 13, 2014 3:19 PM

Nov 2011
Ahhh, so conservation of detail does win out! Hahaha. They definitely tricked me there.

I'm glad they spent some time on Teshima. It's nice to see him following his actual dream, and getting out from under the oppression his father was placing on him. Seeing the reason Serika writes her diary was an excellent touch as well. She's a fairly lighthearted person, but it's little things like this that add depth to a character.

The scene in the dog park was particularly well done. The humor was nice, but the interesting part was the reversal of positions: Before, Hibito was a world ahead of Mutta; Hibito had all of the confidence; Apo stood by Hibito's side; the scene was shown at the beginning of the episode; and Hibito was the one to respond with "Yes!". Now, Mutta has caught up; Mutta has all of the confidence; Apo stands by Mutta's side; the scene is shown at the end of the episode; and Mutta is the one to respond with "Yes!". It marks a change in Mutta's life, and in his relationship with his brother. Brilliant.

I must say, this show came highly recommended, and it hasn't disappointed in the slightest. It's a mature story; it's down to earth (oh no!); and it's humor isn't jarring. The pacing is great; the characters are developed well; and the plot hasn't been neglected in the slightest. Given that the art and music are also satisfactory, there's really not anything more I could ask for. This could be a 10/10 show if they keep up what they have going.
Mar 28, 2015 7:04 PM

Jun 2009
Sweet, Kenji passed. I honestly thought Teshima was a really weak character, I had no idea why he was in the exam or how he got so far in. But that was some nice development for him.
Nov 11, 2015 5:52 AM
Dec 2009
Kenji!!!! So glad we'll be seeing more of him. He seems like a great guy--- passionate about his job and family. One of my favorite characters!
Nov 12, 2015 10:33 PM

Mar 2012
Awesome! Great to see that they did pick Kenji, the guy deserved it :)
Dec 8, 2016 4:59 AM

May 2015
Ufff, thank god Kenji was picked also. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 9, 2016 2:56 PM

Mar 2015
I'm not too happy about Kenji being chosen. He has a wife and a lovely daughter. He should cherish them. Fukuda-san is the best example for how chasing a dream can ruin a family. Just my 2cents.

P.S.: I love this show. I'm glad I finally picked it up.
Dec 18, 2016 9:38 PM

Jun 2016
Goddamn, this show is so good, I crie everytiem. ;_; It's the epitome of wish-fulfillment, but it does it so well I can't help but love it to bits.
Dec 25, 2016 12:11 PM

Nov 2016
Episode 23 - Father, Son and Mutta Claus:

Yuuri gave Kenji a chance, Yuuri was the best scored of team B and yet he withdraw to fulfill his real dream. Well if he could go so far without wanted to be astronaut from his heart in the Astronaut selection, he then indeed can succeeded in anything he wants.

Why is Serika dancing at the end?

"Your portion of cake represents the load you're carrying." (Mutta's father to Mutta)

4/5
Sep 11, 2017 1:07 PM

May 2012
Damn great episode, quite glad Kenji also got selected actually! Now all 3 are going to Houston!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.