Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 20, 2008 1:07 AM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Been two weeks and that was a good and interesting episode in a few ways.. and yes they are setting up the love triangle just as I thought they would :)

The two presents pretty much show the thought process of the two girls, Miss Ranka who constantly talks about herself to Alto and knows nothing about him (because she always talks about herself in their conversations!) gives Alto a present.. a ticket to her concert. Sheryl otoh gives Alto a chance to fly in a real sky something she knows he would love because in their conversations she actually asks him questions about himself instead of telling Alto all about herself.
WestloJun 20, 2008 2:42 AM
Jun 20, 2008 2:43 AM

Feb 2008
Pretty good episode, I really like how this love triangle is turning out.
I think Alto was pretty stupid for not meeting up with Ranka. Oh well, at least she has that alien pet to comfort her =P
Also, I wonder what are Grace's plans.
KayroJun 20, 2008 2:46 AM
Jun 20, 2008 5:44 AM

Aug 2007
"My breasts are different from yours. They can bring people dreams and hopes."
That part killed me :D

I think Alto made the best choice, Sheryl is more mature and seems to understand him better. At least for now Ranka feels a bit "empty" and immature. But my guess is that he went there 90% to be able to fly in the planet's atmosphere :D
Needs to fix this sometime but I'm lazy - since 11/05/2009
Jun 20, 2008 7:07 AM

Sep 2007
"My breasts are different from yours. They can bring people dreams and hopes." Yeah that line also killed me.

Sheryl is better then Ranka in my book. She is just to... immature... or too sweet and innocent. She is the type that would make a better younger sister. I enjoyed this episode overall looking forward to the next one.
Jun 20, 2008 4:57 PM

Mar 2008
well the episode was fine imo
i wonder what will happen next

MAL list updates
Jun 20, 2008 7:48 PM
May 2008
yay, next episode looks like action!
Jun 20, 2008 10:08 PM

Feb 2008
Loved the new ED theme and the little green thing comforting Ranka :)
Jun 21, 2008 12:02 AM

Apr 2008
The preview surprised me. I was like "WTF? WHAT IS HE DOING HERE?" Did he survive? Omfg I gotta go finish the original Macross fo shure.

I guess Alto wants the free sky above all else, eh?
Jun 21, 2008 2:46 AM
Nov 2007
Some weird pairing scene with Alto and his 'brother' that could bring misunderstood without sub on. :P
Jun 21, 2008 2:50 AM

Jan 2008
Very good episode explaining Alto's family background in more detail. Love triangle is developing smoothly. That being said, can't wait for next episode.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jun 21, 2008 4:11 AM

Jan 2008
yay! new ending song rocks!

5/5
Jun 21, 2008 4:51 AM

Apr 2008
Why most there be this pathetic Love triangle? Serious I don't feel sad for Rankas sake, it is rather the oppisite. Why must she even exist in the story?She is just walking around and just feel sory for herself, pathetic creature.

Jun 21, 2008 7:51 AM

Dec 2007
Hakazu said:
Why most there be this pathetic Love triangle? Serious I don't feel sad for Rankas sake, it is rather the oppisite. Why must she even exist in the story?She is just walking around and just feel sory for herself, pathetic creature.

Simple:
You just can't have a Macross series without a love triangle. It's an unwritten law.
Jun 21, 2008 8:56 AM
Jun 2007
A very good episode overall. Sheryl gained some points in my book and Ranka lost some. like people before have stated, Ranka doesn't put in any effort in trying to know Alto any better which makes me gradually dislike her.
Jun 21, 2008 9:09 AM

May 2008
great episode, it was interesting.
i think that ranka should just give up on alto though =S seriously, he's not the least bit interested in her, or so it seems so far. or maybe she just needs to be more outgoing like sheryl to stand a chance against her.
Jun 21, 2008 10:27 AM

Dec 2007
i kinda feel sorry for Ranka... but I guess she has to give up on something if she wants to become a singer...
Jun 21, 2008 10:34 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
the next episode's battle looks really nice.....we get to see battles on the planet's surface (desert?)
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 21, 2008 12:19 PM

Apr 2008
ErwinJA said:
Hakazu said:

Simple:
You just can't have a Macross series without a love triangle. It's an unwritten law.

Can't have a Macross without patetic love triangle? Have you seen Macross Plus or Zero? There is no love triangle in them, in my eyes they are the propor Macross (except for Macross while Focker still lives)

Jun 21, 2008 1:14 PM

May 2008
Hakazu said:
Can't have a Macross without patetic love triangle? Have you seen Macross Plus or Zero? There is no love triangle in them, in my eyes they are the propor Macross (except for Macross while Focker still lives)
Both Macross Zero and Macross Plus have pretty obvious love triangles, Guld/Meryl/Isamu in Plus, and Sara/Shin/Mao in Zero. I don't know how you could say these shows don't have love triangles.

I didn't think this was one of the strongest episodes so far, it seemed to drag along, and I was kind of bored with it.

Was that Kamjin in the preview? That can't be possible.
Jun 21, 2008 1:17 PM

Apr 2008
New ED is not on the OST...i'm so sad...now i have to wait for Vol.2 OST, i guess...

Jun 21, 2008 2:21 PM

Oct 2007
^ No you only have to wait until the 26th when the Ranka Lee Cd single comes out.This song was played in episode 9 btw, lol @ noone caring about it than.

http://gabrielarobin.com/221/ranka-lee-nakajima-megumi-debut-single-tracks

Interstellar Flight will more than likely get showcased in episode 12, full version has been on the macross website for a week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWnngOLP9xM

Cat Diary was the ED for 11 and was played in 9 when Ranka was handing out stuff.

Ai Oboete Imasu Ka (Deculture Edition Size) Do You Remember Love is the Deculutre/Pilot edition ending theme which is an updated version of the macross theme song from Do You Remember Love sung by Minmei.

Watashi no Kare wa Pilot - Miss Macross 2059(My Boyfriend is a Pilot) Was sung in episode 4, was the first song by Minmei in the original series.

Bunji said:
Hakazu said:
Both Macross Zero and Macross Plus have pretty obvious love triangles, Guld/Meryl/Isamu in Plus, and Sara/Shin/Mao in Zero. I don't know how you could say these shows don't have love triangles.

I can see why someone wouldn't consider Zero a triangle but it still had the makings of one, Plus otoh... you have to be stupid to not consider that a triangle.
Jun 21, 2008 3:30 PM

Nov 2007
Haven't seen many Macross series in my days but when I started to watch Macross F I thought that it was supposed to be an mecha anime. This turned out to be a big disapointment as after seen 11 episodes I can only tell that this anime lack of all intrest in my opinion instead of getting an mecha anime (which I really isn't a fan of but like to watch now and then) I got an terrible triangle love story between a snobby singer and a childish terrible girl with green hair. I have continued to watch this show just to see if there is going to be any mecha focus on it at all the latest episodes have lacked of mecha in my opinion as they have just focused on the girl called Ranka and her deppresion over not getting the attention from the boy 24/7. I can't see why any anime want to focus on an love triangle I don't think any normal human would want to end up in one so why make endless with them.

Westlo: In my home we have a saying: The person that calls other stupid is the person who truley is the stupid one.

Jun 21, 2008 4:52 PM

Oct 2007
So if someone leaves little kids unsupervised around a pool and I call him stupid I'm the stupid one? two words come to mind over "your" saying BRILLIANT LOGIC!
Jun 22, 2008 2:19 AM
Dec 2007
Good setup episode that will lead to a great action episode I hope. Nothing too original though, the way Alto chose to go on Gallia instead of succeeding his father or seeing Ranka was poorly done I think, and not really explained. Then again, Macross focuses more on action than on character psychology so it's not really a surprise.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 22, 2008 3:25 AM

Oct 2007
Jacut said:
the way Alto chose to go on Gallia instead of succeeding his father or seeing Ranka was poorly done I think, and not really explained. Then again, Macross focuses more on action than on character psychology so it's not really a surprise.

No not really, from episode 6 conversation between Alto and Sheryl

Sheryl - Hey Alto, do you like this ship?
Alto - I hate it I don’t like city ships.
Sheryl - Why?
Alto - There’s no sky here.

Sheryl knew that this present was a home run, that's why her voice was like it was because she knew it was perfect. Remember she was sick and tired and when she thought this up after Grace was talking to her about the concert she lit up.

It also seems his passion to fly has something to do with mother as well.
Jun 22, 2008 3:39 AM

Nov 2007
Yeah, Alto taking the trip is an obvious choice. Was shown from episode one that he wanted a real sky to fly in. Sheryl totally suckered him in good and proper. No further explanation needed after what has been given so far.

I support Sheryl over Ranka (she's too much of a little sister type) but would still prefer to see a third party (or nobody) win him. Or take a twist from past Macross series and kill him off. That'd please me too.
Jun 22, 2008 10:37 AM

Mar 2008
*sigh*, and so the triangle has ended. Good job breaking it , Big West/Bandai.

In any case however, I can see Alto making that choice; it was a very easy choice. With the portrayal of Sheryl being the more understanding one, there would be no doubts. It's an offer too good to refuse.

Now that the series has paved its way, let's hope nothing too drastically altering would happen o_O

and, amazing ED song.

Afterthought: now that officially Ranka has waved the white flag, they (producers/animators) seem to make up for it by inserting more Ranka imagery.

I also do notice the similarity with CGR2, this series took a one week break and, wow, nicely improved animations *thumbs up*.
Jun 22, 2008 12:27 PM

Mar 2008
boy am i glad he chose Cheryl, since Ranka pretty much annoys me most of the time.
Jun 22, 2008 2:45 PM

Oct 2007
lol the triangle is not over yet guys... consider this a glancing blow more than a knockout.
Jun 22, 2008 3:14 PM

Nov 2007
I woudln't even say he picked Sheryl so much as he picked the sky.
Jun 22, 2008 6:40 PM

Jun 2008
At least Alto didn't get to try Ranka's bitter cookies. :P
Jun 22, 2008 9:43 PM

Mar 2008
Westlo said:
lol the triangle is not over yet guys... consider this a glancing blow more than a knockout.

Now the key lies in Ranka understanding Alto more. If she does, she stands a chance. If not, it's game.

However, given the sort of person that is Sheryl (ie, she has pride), she might teach Ranka some finer points of relationship before continuing the rivalry.

And I actually liked the character dynamics between Ranka and Sheryl. They seem like families to each other when not fighting over Alto. The lol part came at ep 10, the Miss Macross winner got ignored completely over Ranka, XD
Jun 23, 2008 2:19 AM

Jun 2008
hrmm, i actually like Ranka more than Sheryl. she's just more sincere while Sheryl seems manipulative. i'm more unsure why they both like Alto so much. he's no Isamu. or Hikaru even. was an okay episode. not that i mind a break from fighting for some story movement. loved the new ending song. also, i would think since she's a big star now, Ranka would get a newer, more expensive phone, which would be sad cuz her phone's already so badass.
Jun 23, 2008 6:48 AM

Apr 2008
This show is stalling out for me. Is there actually a story besides this standard fare HS love triangle stuff?
Jun 23, 2008 2:59 PM
Mar 2008
I dont know but for some reason I feel that ranka's storyline is futile. it just seems to childish and unimportant compared to sheryl and alto's dad. But i really like ranka, and its obvious her story will develop way deeper, so i guess it just adds more reasons to enjoy the story. Love the new ED.
Jun 25, 2008 10:01 AM

Sep 2007
Triangle's definitely not over. And I don't really see this as Alto picking Sheryl either. It's more like he just chose flying as opposed to acting. I can't say I support Ranka with Alto because it just doesn't seem right (unless we get some kind of timeskip) but I don't really support Sheryl either. I like her strong will and confidence but otherwise, I'm not really liking the other aspects of her personality.
Jul 5, 2008 1:40 AM
Jun 2008
Hakazu said:
ErwinJA said:
Hakazu said:

Simple:

No love triangle in Mac Plus? I'm sorry but some correction is in order. A love triangle clearly existed between Guld, Isamu & Myung. The whole story revolved around it. Guld thought that Isamu had violated her, and hated Isamu for it. Isamu & Myung knew the truth and insulated Guld from it.

The triangle in the end became Sharon Apple competing with Myung for Isamu's affection.
Jul 17, 2008 6:10 AM

Apr 2008
The episode's main conflict, while nice, was a little disappointing for me, because it was so painfully obvious which decision Alto would make, where he would be on his birthday and could only chose one. Meeting Ranka so she could give him a present when he'll be able to meet her at any other time relatively easy? Definitely not. Appear before his father to not get disinherited? Would be a smart thing to do but is also out.** Going with Sheryl because she offers him the possibility to fly in a real sky? Definitely. I don't know what that boy's thinking with but it's not his head. ^.~ (I was kind of hoping for a fourth thing to come up, like an alien attack, so that he'd have to let all three possibilities go and chose duty instead. Or something.)

I'm more of a Ranka fan than a Sheryl fan though truth be told I like both girls (and since I won't get my threesome ending, I would love one where it's left for interpretation), so maybe that's why I'd like to reinforce the notion that it's the flying that attracts him more than anything. If Ranka had been able to offer it, it would've been her he'd gone with. (It's also not, as Bard (for example) claimed, that Ranka "knows nothing about Alto's wishes". Have you seen those cookies? She can't take him to another colony like superstar Sheryl, but she can bake adorable airplane-shaped cookies. It's the thought that matters. And you don't see me claiming that Sheryl just manipulated Alto because she knew he couldn't say no to the sky... I think she genuinely likes him, which is why I still like her, even if her fans piss me of so often.)

** The problem with the whole acting VS piloting conflict is that Alto never seems to doubt. We're told that "acting still means a lot to him" by his brother, but Alto never does anything that would confirm this suspicion, not even in The Legend of Zero where he actually acts again for a stunt. On the other hand, we see in every other episode how much he loves flying. It's a good potential conflict, especially with everything attached to it (the family drama and most of all flying to fight/flying to not feel helpless again VS acting because it's expected of him/because it's safe) but so far the show's not doing anything with it. I kind of want them to focus at least a bit more on the flying/fighting/friends <-> acting/safety/family thing.
Aug 14, 2008 6:04 AM

Apr 2007
<3 Ranka.

Onto next episode~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2008 10:54 PM

Jul 2008
Wow... did a main character just make a decision?
Kind regards
Sidoen

Aug 23, 2008 10:17 AM

Mar 2008

A super episode, but I do not understand if Ranka Lee feelings for Alto Saotome, why she says it directly. He is not as with Sheryl liiert Nome!

Keep it up!
Oct 27, 2008 5:50 AM

Feb 2008
Almost everything so far has gone in Sheryl's direction when it comes to the romance and love triangle.
Mar 25, 2009 5:53 AM

Jan 2008
Sheryl won him over, well not really. He just wants to see an open sky as he always has.
Jul 5, 2009 6:57 PM

Jul 2008
Choose your father. Choose your father. Choose your father.

Of course not. That would have been the nice thing to do. But noooooooooooo.

It's official, I hate Alto-hime. He deserves neither Sheryl nor Ranka. Props for Sheryl for giving him a present he'd actually want... negative points for Alto-hime for ignoring his sick father in lieu of flying in real atmosphere and sending someone else to tell Ranka he is standing her up (instead of calling her). But points for actually sending someone I suppose.

BEGINNER
Dec 3, 2009 10:04 PM

Jan 2009
Nice ep, though Ranka keeps getting screwed over. She just can't catch a break.

Mar 19, 2011 4:06 AM
Jun 2010
hmm, this episode wasnt that good, raher boring but meh
Apr 7, 2011 5:11 AM

Aug 2008
The right choice was made, getting to fly in a real sky and being with Sheryl? Win. Ranka really is a little sister type so doesn't interest me as a match for Alto as the Rankas should just be there to act cute but not get the guy
Jul 1, 2011 11:26 PM

Aug 2009
Poor Ranka.. T__T

Alto sucks !!! T___T
Jul 13, 2011 10:13 AM

Jul 2010
This is the episode I first come across Macross Frontier, especially the beginning part. That “nyan nyan” song.

Aw! Ranka was waiting for Alto!
Sep 10, 2011 3:54 AM
Mar 2009
What is wrong with you people?

The only reason Sheryl has any appeal at all is because she's so forward, but even then, it never seems to mean anything or go anywhere.

The only reason he went with Sheryl is because of the promise of limitless skies on an actual planet instead of being cooped up in an air-controlled space colony.

Alto obviously shows that he at least cares somewhat for Ranka as he sent Mikhail as kind of an "I'm sorry I couldn't come" messenger and completely ditched the Kabuki group.

Alto TRIES to support Ranka and be there for her, but then SMS gets in the way or skanky Sheryl makes it look like they have some sort of relationship which destroys Ranka's confidence, so it's no wonder she has a hard time approaching him, but she still goes out of her way, occasionally when she musters the courage, to try and show him that she likes him, like in this episode.

SHE EVEN MADE HIM PLANE COOKIES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! And she wanted to deliver a ticket to her concert personally, all as a birthday present.

If he never knew of Gallia 4 he most likely would have just met up with Ranka.

What you guys are confusing for maturity is just different types of personalities: Sheryl is outgoing, forward, and flirty; Ranka is shy, timid, and subtle. Just because Ranka isn't skanking it up every 5 seconds like Sheryl doesn't mean she doesn't understand situations, people, and how life works.

What I don't understand is why he couldn't have done all three meetings. They never really demonstrate that he has to make a single decision. They just say everything happens on his birthday.

If it all absolutely had to be on his actual birthday then Kabuki and Ranka are interchangeable between morning and noonish/afternoon, then he could have gone off to Gallia in the evening. Of course, since he planned to ditch the Kabuki anyway, that frees up much more time for Ranka if there is a lot of set up to do for the launch to Gallia 4, so he could have met Ranka in the morning and then went off afterwards. At least then he could have accepted her gifts and told her "Thanks for the present, but I really want to experience flying in an actual sky." And then gone off.

Otherwise, he could have scheduled a different day for Ranka and still have been able to go flying.

Lymsleia said:
I'm more of a Ranka fan than a Sheryl fan though truth be told I like both girls, so maybe that's why I'd like to reinforce the notion that it's the flying that attracts him more than anything. If Ranka had been able to offer it, it would've been her he'd gone with. It's also not, as Bard claimed, that Ranka "knows nothing about Alto's wishes". Have you seen those cookies? She can't take him to another colony like superstar Sheryl, but she can bake adorable airplane-shaped cookies. It's the thought that matters. And you don't see me claiming that Sheryl just manipulated Alto because she knew he couldn't say no to the sky... I think she genuinely likes him, which is why I still like her, even if her fans piss me of so often.

I feel this way except I'm even less of a proponent to Sheryl. I understand that she seems to genuinely like him, but she never seems to take anything she does with him seriously, like how that kiss at the set was a joke to tease him. She always seems to be just messing with him like a friend would and nothing more. She doesn't even call him by name when she spoke with Ranka showing that she seems to support Ranka's relationship with Alto.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross F Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Aug 1, 2008

60 by Dzentelmen2 »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

darkside099 - Jul 4, 2008

72 by sserpens »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:08 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

98 by catfay »»
Feb 21, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - May 15, 2008

72 by Antanaru »»
Dec 31, 2022 11:36 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 21, 2008

123 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Nov 19, 2022 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.