Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2008 3:41 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hah, nice episode. Bit of exposition, but told in a eeriely cool way. Imagine that poor cop going through the trauma of seeing that dude bend his neck around all the time.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 11, 2008 1:52 PM

Nov 2007
O-o I know it was like the excorcist XD

Mar 17, 2009 7:46 AM

Jan 2009
Great funny xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2009 1:45 PM

May 2007
Just needed to comment on how great this episode was. It's really rare to see so much information being told to the viewer so naturally, so kudos to the director. Also, as the dots starts to connect the plot is getting better and better.

Enough talking, gotta watch the rest of it :D
Feb 2, 2010 12:45 PM
Dec 2009
Best episode so far
Jun 27, 2010 12:35 PM

Feb 2009
I already love this show.I wonder if the organization story was true though.It felt kind of forced to actually tell the story.Snake Eye must be really bored if he/she/it is willing to hypnotize the guy to tell him the story that many times.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Oct 30, 2010 11:11 AM

Mar 2010
Wow, now this was something. I think I get it more now: its getting really interesting. I cant stop watching it now :D
Jan 20, 2011 5:16 AM
Jun 2008
the police Morita is a manticore as well?? huh..so,Yurihara is not the only one...anyway I still very confuse what did Echoes report back to dunno where lol.It seems the event still continue..
Anyway,it seems the subordinate become a slave lol.

I just realize now that the girl with the buttery is a echoes .sound like echoes but....very confuse .maybe I am wrong..I think she is also an alien but its different compare to echoes.

Miyashita losing memory .....a lot ,it seems boogiepop taken much of her time lol.The Miyashita turned into Boogiepop is epic moment.
Apr 4, 2011 8:26 PM

Dec 2009
omg this episode scared the sht outta me >.<
Jul 2, 2011 7:37 AM

Mar 2008
A very weird method to pass time. xD

Since the plot exposition dealt with rumors, I don't really know what to believe in. Also, that Nagi woman is very suspicious.
Jul 14, 2011 11:36 AM

Dec 2009
Great method to give the viewers some information on what's going on :D
Very interesting series.
Aug 5, 2011 11:16 AM
Jun 2010
More character info, as well as some more info on the Towa Organization.

Sep 3, 2012 9:14 PM

Nov 2009
This was a good episode, probably the best so far. Really helped explain more about the show. Now i'm not so confused lol.
Jan 10, 2013 10:21 PM

Jun 2008
Really good exposition episode, I'm sure I'll be going back to it in the coming episodes as much as it went back and helped fit in some holes from the previous ones.
Aug 20, 2013 9:15 AM

Aug 2012
So, haven't we had this conversation before?
Dec 28, 2013 4:38 PM

Aug 2013
Lame, an organization is behind the monsters and they're made from aliens. Say it isn't so, this show's just terrible right now!
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Jan 3, 2014 2:45 AM

Jan 2013
chillock said:
Lame, an organization is behind the monsters and they're made from aliens. Say it isn't so, this show's just terrible right now!
How is it terrible?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 21, 2014 10:50 AM
Jun 2013
Good info episode.So we got a evil organization who makes monsters that are bent of stopping evolution.That cop dude must be extremely bord to keep hypnotizing that other cop.Maybe hes just lonely :p.I was kinda confused though was that butterfly chick the mom or was it the one writing in the book?
Jun 30, 2014 11:33 PM

Jul 2008
Man so Morita just keep wiping the other cop's mind just because he is too bored? That's just weird...I was going to say creepy but I've said that about way too many things in this show already.
Oct 30, 2014 7:04 PM

Jun 2014
Almost shit my pants when I heard the cop's voice after twisting his neck
Dec 30, 2014 2:00 AM

Apr 2009
confusing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2015 2:36 AM

May 2011
I guess my conjecture from 2 episodes ago was correct - the policeman was one of the earliest victims of Manticore. "Say, Morita-san, haven't we had this conversation before?"

Regardless, the amount of information given in this episode is so heavy that as a viewer, I can make several predictions to what the story is going to unfold.

Number 1: we are implied that the butterfly girl Manaka, was a result of experimentation as observed when her mother (the one who had the brain damage), got injected by some weird serum by that suspicious doctor who was also the doctor that talked to 'spider-dude' Jonouchi of 1st-2nd episode about the 'miracle experimental drug'. Thus, I imply that the serum is that drug, just that it worked differently for Jonouchi as compared to Manaka.

Number 2: Although, we do have to note that there are similarities between Jonouchi's powers and Manaka's. Both involve insect motifs (spiders versus butterflies), and they are representations of memories. The difference might be a result of their experiences and opinions of the world - since Jonouchi started off as a guy who had his mother gone and living a life of angst, the power bestowed upon him is a result - the ability to see grief and guilt memories of people which he can remove and 'eat' up; Manaka being a girl born into the world with that power with no prior experience, hence is naive and free of earthly desires, making her powers highly 'engulfing' in nature which results in people near her to be recorded into her memories, while also inducing effect on those who look into her to remember their memories at once.

Number 3: This precise drug is the drug that was created by Illuminati (let's call it Illuminati for now, since we don't know its real name yet), as mentioned by the policeman Morita-san (also the one who ate off 'world-is-beautiful' girl Misuzu)

Number 4: Manticore, who is involved in all these incidents, is the one mentioned to be an experimental object who escaped from the lab to kill, no, assimilate, to be precise, with the help of a 'dead' Saotome to transform the world order. (I say 'dead' because I believe that Saotome isn't truly dead, he is, in my opinion, in a stage which cannot be defined as alive nor dead)

Number 5: The detective who talked with Nagi in the first episode might most likely be the one responsible for hijacking the drug created by Illuminati and delivered it to the prefectural hospital. The female doctor is still rather unknown at this juncture; she might be one of the members of the organisation, or a stealthy one at that to figure out the power of that drug during a currently unknown situation.

Number 6: My final conjecture is that Miyashita Touka, that girl who went into a coma around the time of Manticore's escape, might be a representation of Boogiepop, or is Boogiepop herself. This is implied near the end of the episode when she warned Suema-san (glasses girl), "There's a difference between missing the old days and being stuck in the past," an attempt to 'free' her off the spell of Manaka (another conjecture), or maybe just because Suema is very obsessed to resolve the mystery of the murders and disappearances. Another implication is that it was mentioned in this episode that she was 'possessed by a fox spirit', telling Suema.

As much information there is out, we still have yet to look into much of Nagi's role and importance to the Manticore-Boogiepop-Illuminati links as well as Touka's role into all of this. Even if she is Boogiepop, we have still not seen why she is so, only implied in this episode. I hope this anime will get better as it goes on, which is interesting me greatly. I love shows which propel me to think and grab information. 5/5
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 30, 2015 2:38 AM

May 2011
ezaya said:
confusing.

I hope what I mentioned in the previous post helped you!
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 6, 2016 7:25 PM

Apr 2009
A lot of backstory here. The cop bit with the implied "trumors" was the most significant since it laid out a solid foundation to build upon. Glad that they got to explain Manaka a bit more. I'm curious to who that Robin Hood kid is and where he took her.

Initially, I was thinking that this show was more spiritual (heaven, hell, and purgatory).. but this episode made this show more grounded in a sense (like a dystopian future). Still curious to where Jonouchi went.

I was gonna go over some things, but looks like Gray already did all the work. :p
mell4444Jan 7, 2016 9:41 PM
Jun 27, 2016 1:44 PM

Apr 2007
haha that was an amusing twist at the end. Let me tell you a story, creep you out, erase your memories, and do it all over again just to pass the time.
Mar 4, 2017 3:57 AM

Feb 2016
What a creative way to do an information dump to the viewer! Seriously, shows that can pull this off and keep it fresh are a rarity.
Cloud_IllusionsMar 4, 2017 4:17 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 24, 2017 7:56 AM

May 2012
Well that sure was something! Really interesting yet still rather weird development.
Jun 12, 2017 12:24 PM
Nov 2015
The female doctor appeared again.
The cop the few eps back is explained.
Hahahahahahaahah I'm laughing in terror right now. That last scene is scary asssssss helllllll
Apr 22, 2018 5:20 PM

Feb 2013
The cop pretty much explained everything.

There is some other stuff, but spoilers... I think...
Sep 11, 2018 8:19 PM

Aug 2016
***yawn**** and drop. nothing good to see here.
:v
Nov 17, 2018 2:08 PM

Nov 2016
Crazy infodump or rather infofeed episode. We even got a bit more backround story.

But that cops idea of killing time is weird, tho xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 5, 2019 11:20 PM

Dec 2015
This "let's clear thing" episode is rather well-made but didn't feel useful to me. It instead saps a bit of what made the series interesting til now. I hope the rest of the show will keep exploring themes/cases like the earlier part

3/5.
Mar 14, 2021 9:39 AM

Aug 2017
Best episode so far
This show just keeps getting better and better
Apr 15, 2021 4:42 PM

Aug 2017
Morita twisting his neck was creepy, so he is the cop who killed the girl from the third episode.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 14, 2021 9:09 PM
Nov 2020
A really good exposition dump. It's as unique as that game show episode from Ergo Proxy.
Jul 20, 2021 1:52 AM

Mar 2018
One of the weaker episodes but not bad by any means, the info helped bring some perspective.

This episode lines up with a 7 where past episodes have been 8's or even 9
Celest__Jul 20, 2021 4:52 PM
Nov 7, 2021 4:34 PM

Jun 2010
All that exposition....
May 20, 2022 4:52 AM
Jul 2018
grayrebornnhy said:
I guess my conjecture from 2 episodes ago was correct - the policeman was one of the earliest victims of Manticore. "Say, Morita-san, haven't we had this conversation before?"

Regardless, the amount of information given in this episode is so heavy that as a viewer, I can make several predictions to what the story is going to unfold.

Number 1: we are implied that the butterfly girl Manaka, was a result of experimentation as observed when her mother (the one who had the brain damage), got injected by some weird serum by that suspicious doctor who was also the doctor that talked to 'spider-dude' Jonouchi of 1st-2nd episode about the 'miracle experimental drug'. Thus, I imply that the serum is that drug, just that it worked differently for Jonouchi as compared to Manaka.

Number 2: Although, we do have to note that there are similarities between Jonouchi's powers and Manaka's. Both involve insect motifs (spiders versus butterflies), and they are representations of memories. The difference might be a result of their experiences and opinions of the world - since Jonouchi started off as a guy who had his mother gone and living a life of angst, the power bestowed upon him is a result - the ability to see grief and guilt memories of people which he can remove and 'eat' up; Manaka being a girl born into the world with that power with no prior experience, hence is naive and free of earthly desires, making her powers highly 'engulfing' in nature which results in people near her to be recorded into her memories, while also inducing effect on those who look into her to remember their memories at once.

Number 3: This precise drug is the drug that was created by Illuminati (let's call it Illuminati for now, since we don't know its real name yet), as mentioned by the policeman Morita-san (also the one who ate off 'world-is-beautiful' girl Misuzu)

Number 4: Manticore, who is involved in all these incidents, is the one mentioned to be an experimental object who escaped from the lab to kill, no, assimilate, to be precise, with the help of a 'dead' Saotome to transform the world order. (I say 'dead' because I believe that Saotome isn't truly dead, he is, in my opinion, in a stage which cannot be defined as alive nor dead)

Number 5: The detective who talked with Nagi in the first episode might most likely be the one responsible for hijacking the drug created by Illuminati and delivered it to the prefectural hospital. The female doctor is still rather unknown at this juncture; she might be one of the members of the organisation, or a stealthy one at that to figure out the power of that drug during a currently unknown situation.

Number 6: My final conjecture is that Miyashita Touka, that girl who went into a coma around the time of Manticore's escape, might be a representation of Boogiepop, or is Boogiepop herself. This is implied near the end of the episode when she warned Suema-san (glasses girl), "There's a difference between missing the old days and being stuck in the past," an attempt to 'free' her off the spell of Manaka (another conjecture), or maybe just because Suema is very obsessed to resolve the mystery of the murders and disappearances. Another implication is that it was mentioned in this episode that she was 'possessed by a fox spirit', telling Suema.

As much information there is out, we still have yet to look into much of Nagi's role and importance to the Manticore-Boogiepop-Illuminati links as well as Touka's role into all of this. Even if she is Boogiepop, we have still not seen why she is so, only implied in this episode. I hope this anime will get better as it goes on, which is interesting me greatly. I love shows which propel me to think and grab information. 5/5

Hey, thanks a lot, that helped me reassess all the information I had in my head, really appreciate it, great analysis.
Aug 10, 2022 6:27 AM

Jun 2020
Okay this show is back. That was fucking amazing.

Nov 11, 2022 12:23 PM

Jan 2010
Internet conspiracy theories about a powerful shadow organization that's influential enough to alter the world on a whim or maintain its status quo, but don't actually do anything on a regular basis. Talks of the proliferation of misinformation through unverified claims on the internet running rampant due to the speed of information transfer. A conspiracy theory akin to reptilians of composite humans blending into society and making people disappear through mysterious murders.

Watching Boogiepop Phanom in 2022 is wild. Throughout this episode I was constantly questioning which scene actually depicted reality, delusion, or a reality compromised by the paranormal, as apparently that's real too. By the time that cop twisted his head around and seemingly killed the other cop, but then apparently that was a delusion, but also apparently it might not be, I was blown away. This is amazing.

By the way, I'm fascinated at the use of buildings and urbanscapes in Boogiepop Phantom. There's a lot of construction going on, as well as a lot of talk about the growing and changing city. However, with the way the city's framed, these half-built structures look like skeletons or corpses of buildings, and with all the rust and corruption going on, it makes the city seem like it's rotting. These new developments should represent newborn babies of sorts, but instead they seemingly represent either rotting corpses or the birth of something monstrous, undead, or otherworldly.
ShockedNov 11, 2022 12:33 PM
Dec 11, 2022 12:13 AM
Jul 2018
I guess I should have read the source material before jumping into this anime. Feels like an if you know- you know situation. I've probably heard the term Manticore only once this entire time but I'm guessing their the human copies in this scenario.

The amine lost me at secret organization, human copies, and Internet conspiracy theories. The episode itself trailed off from the grandmother, her daughter and.. whatever that was all about. I don't understand the need to keep erasing that police officer's memory if not just to dump random info on the viewer.

Wondering where Boogiepop is. Continued watching for the character but I've been Boogie-less the previous episodes.
Aug 19, 2023 4:06 PM

Sep 2017
The anime is slowly starting to make sense. I still don't get the whole thing with the students and Nagi though, hopefully they'll explain them too. People on previous episode threads all seemed to have already read the books because otherwise it'd have impossible to grasp this anime. Well, it looks fun. Would've been better had it been less episodic and more unified like Lain but beggars can't be choosers.
خ

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.