Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2011 10:30 AM

Apr 2008
The very best series I watched last year was Rose of Versailles.

I'd never expected that I'd include another anime on the top of my list at this time in life, but here it is. It was inevitable.

I had a feeling that RoV was going to be high on my top because of Shingo Araki, Osamu Dezaki and the Synopsis I've read.
Taking this in account, when you put high expectations on an anime, it'll eventually backfire at you, rare is the case when the opposite happens, when the anime continues impressing you from the first episode and continues to grow from episode to episode until the end.

Rov is a masterpiece, this won't happen again and it was a unnatural anime year for me because of it. Otherwise the best Old School series that I watched, would have been something else, something less masterpiece but still excellent and a masterpiece of it's own like Urusei Yatsura (which I actually rewatched, but this time full, the first time was on TV, with random episodes).

---------------------------------------------------------------

So, what was yours?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 7, 2011 12:16 PM

Apr 2007
Gotta be Da Garn for me. I absolutely loved it, it's a super robot show done right. Perfect mix of fight scenes, cool villains, comedy and character development with a few tearjerker moments. I just know I'm gonna be watching it again if the subs ever continue.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
Jan 7, 2011 3:51 PM

Mar 2009
Well me being a late comer to the world of anime in a way - Legend of Galatic Heroes completly blew me away

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Jan 7, 2011 4:56 PM

May 2010
Legend of the Galactic Heroes was the best old school title I watched in 2010 that was the best, also the best epic anime masterpiece I've seen to date. No other series will ever replace LOGH as my #1 favorite series of all time.
Jan 7, 2011 5:23 PM
Dec 2008
Of course, since I was working on LOGH all year for the remasters and Touch - those two.
Jan 7, 2011 5:56 PM

Aug 2007
In all honesty, Marmalade Boy was the best 'oldschool' anime that I saw last year. I know that probably sounds odd because I, too, watched RoV for the first time, and Touch to boot. But MB had such a charm to it that I can't help but love after thinking about it for a while. Touch and RoV are kind of tied, but I think I got into RoV easier.

Jan 7, 2011 6:29 PM

Aug 2007
I only completed three full series last year, two of which were old school (Orguss and Maison Ikkoku). And the winner is...Maison Ikkoku, of course. THis is one of those immortal series that I don't ever see being removed from my top 5. It's been three years since I saw a series I enjoyed this much (the last was LOGH). They don't come very often.
Jan 7, 2011 9:32 PM
Sep 2007
That would be definetely be rewatched Gunbuster, but I guess it doesn't count.

Let's see...

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Rose of Versailles
Anne of Green Gables

I'd those 3 old school series are one I liked the most (when it comes to only old school) in 2010.

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars has some of my all-time favorite characters ever, and it was really entertaining, so I guess that would be my choice.
Jan 7, 2011 11:10 PM

Feb 2008
Well, 2010 was an insane year of anime watching for me (been meaning to make a blog post about it when I'm not lazy). It would literally be just about impossible for me to truly choose a #1 out of all the stuff I watched, even if I narrow it down to older shows.

Looking over my list, it comes down to a 4 way battle.

- Dragon Ball - Anyone can say what they will, but Dragon Ball (and currently DBZ, keeping up with those Dragon Boxes) is an insanely legit show in my opinion, I absolutely loved it. This was a LONG ways coming since I'm just another usual American viewer that grew up with DBZ among other shows and all this time, I had only caught maybe the first ~25 episodes dubbed throughout the years in the past. So going into Dragon Ball I already had a lot of nostalgia and I was just really pumped about finally seeing how it all started. I also jumped into the Japanese version, as if the show wasn't good enough already this pretty much shook my world because it was pretty much a completely new thing compared to the dub, so many characters seemed "smarter" to me, and most importantly the music was completely different.

In the end all I will say is that in the dub, Goku was my least favorite. Now through all of DB and up to the Android stuff in DBZ in Japanese, I'd say Goku is my favorite character in the show. The difference is insane.

- Touch - This was another inevitable watch I had coming for a few years, since I had known about Maison, I remember a friend telling me a little bit about this one and had seen the two get comparisons. While I definitely think there's a lot to compare to Maison in a fun way, it's also safe to say Touch is totally its own thing and does a lot of stuff differently. Now on a personal note, I resonated with Tatsuya's character quite a bit with how he developed so that made the show even more powerful. This was probably one of the most addicting and easiest longer shows I've seen and one I'm actually already planning on rewatching soon, when CA finishes the remastered set. Touch Forever.

- Rose of Versailles - This was another "long ways coming", slightly. I had it downloaded for a long time so I had to hit it up eventually. In the past I saw it got some LOGH comparisons which probably caught my interest, along with the same character designer. My exposure to Dezaki before this was pretty limited, just Cobra and maybe some other stuff that was pretty basic... so yeah. The shoujo element was questionable at first, but that was just another lesson for me. Now when I see stuff labeled as shoujo it doesn't even bother me, if it means "female main character" then I have no problem with that, which seemed to be RoV's case. As for the style of the show, it just blew me away thanks to Dezaki's directing. I guess it's arguable Nagahama is credited as the director for the first half, but it still felt pretty much like Dezaki's style, so I think he was probably always there helping out and fully took over midway. After finishing RoV, I couldn't help but look up tons of stuff to see how accurate it was and to refresh myself on some of the events, and it was a surprise. That's not something I've done for many other shows.

- Nobody's Boy Remi - Now, as if Cobra and especially RoV didn't make me love Dezaki already, Remi completely settled that. I found this one to be even more addicting than RoV from the get go, and the art/music were a little better as well. But slight comparisons and preferences aside, these two are A++ shows and now I'm really looking forward to more older Dezaki shows when we can get our hands on them.

Now the kicker for RoV and Remi is that they've both completely opened me up to tons of other shows out there I wanna see now. Stuff like Candy Candy and Glass Mask I would have shrugged away in the past, but now I'm totally looking forward to that stuff, and Remi basically just opened up a whole new genre for me to look forward too (World Masterpiece Theater stuff), even if it were technically an unofficial WMT show from what I hear.

And just to top it off even more, these two shows were really special to me because of how unique and original they felt, coming from Japanese creators. I think it's the fact that they're based on European novels and set in those countries. It was just a really interesting breath of fresh air and now I'm looking forward to more stuff like this.
Jan 8, 2011 10:49 AM

Dec 2009
It's definitely Dougram for me. Such a good balance of action and politics, and the ending was absolutely gripping.

For this year, it would probably be Zeta Gundam (started: December 2010, finished: 01/01/2011 at 2:30am after marathoning the last 8 episodes on New Years' Eve).
Jan 8, 2011 10:59 AM

Oct 2009
It must be LOGH for me, too. I'm repeating what I said when I had finished the show in the late summer, but it was an epic ride that you can never forget. Even though I think it only got really interesting in the 3rd and 4th seasons, the first half of the series still had that something that left me wanting to see another episode after the other. And then, after that heartwrenching twist near the end, I finally understood why LOGH deserves its place among the greatest anime masterpieces. Though it doesn't sound nice that I fell in love with the show when

I also watched Zeta Gundam, which also made a lasting impression. Things get even more grim, but it's still great drama.

Classics I'm still watching are Ashita no Joe, Sakigake!! Otokojuku, Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road.
Jan 8, 2011 11:13 AM

Sep 2008
I watched Gunbuster for the fist time this year and it was outstanding, so that takes my top spot. Number two would be Megazone 23 and number 3 goes to Armored Trooper Votoms: Shining Heresy (or whichever name you want to call it). The biggest disappointments were the Megazone 23 sequels.

Jan 8, 2011 11:25 AM

Nov 2007
Have I ever mentioned that I love WMT? I think... I might have. :p Well the choice is between two great ones that became instant favorites. Marco and Dog of Flanders. I almost feel like this should be 1A and 1B, but Marco gets the nod for being more adventures. It would take me a while to come up with the words so I'll just say one more. Amazing.
Jan 8, 2011 12:43 PM

Apr 2008
it was a bit of a dry year for me but from the ones ive seen i have to decide for LoGH
it wasnt just best of 2010 it even ranks in the top 10 of my all anime ever
EridanusJan 9, 2011 5:33 AM
Jan 8, 2011 2:23 PM

Oct 2007
Mine would be Super Dimension Century Orguss. I started LOGH in November and still watching it, so if that counts, that would also be on my list.
Jan 8, 2011 10:30 PM

Mar 2010
Bagi, the Monster of Mighty Nature. Ending was bittersweet though.
Jan 9, 2011 4:05 AM

Jul 2010
For me...IT'S DOG OF FLANDERS!!!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2256 by RobdeFR »»
May 2, 10:19 AM

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Apr 18, 8:46 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.