Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 4, 2010 8:04 PM

Jun 2010
Whenever someone gets a cold in an anime or a manga, they always wear one of those face masks and take off from school. In the US, it's like, "Doesn't matter go to school anyway." Is the common cold more serious in Japan, or does it have something to do with not spreading it as much?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 4, 2010 8:12 PM

Aug 2010
Colds = death in Japan.
Nov 4, 2010 8:37 PM

Feb 2005
Psychotik said:
Colds = death in Japan.
Aha, that explains Clannad AS. I guess it wasn't space aids after all.

But yea, I've seen this a couple of times too. Seems a bit exaggerated.
Nov 4, 2010 8:53 PM

Mar 2010
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=233499&show=0

Pretty much the same thing since it sounds like you're referring to anime/manga super serious colds.

Nov 4, 2010 8:56 PM

May 2010
Baman said:
Psychotik said:
Colds = death in Japan.
Aha, that explains Clannad AS. I guess it wasn't space aids after all.

But yea, I've seen this a couple of times too. Seems a bit exaggerated.

It's too bad it didn't spread, I would love to see everyone in Clannad crying more
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 4, 2010 9:05 PM

Dec 2008
It's so funny the way people think random stuff like this is so uniquely Japanese just because they see it a lot in anime.

Oh and
MouhappaiNov 4, 2010 9:10 PM
Nov 4, 2010 9:18 PM

Mar 2010
Irrevelant

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 4, 2010 9:59 PM

Mar 2009
This question has been asked before.

I guess colds are taken seriously in Japan.
Nov 5, 2010 12:28 AM

Jun 2009
It's because they've got some bad, bad zombie-AIDS over there.

Nov 5, 2010 1:08 AM

Aug 2008
There's a special JAPANESE ONLY strand of the cold virus.
風邪【かぜ】(kaze)

"Kaze" is the Japanese word for the "common cold"; and it's completely different from the American common cold. Just like how "anime" is the Japanese word for "cartoon", but it's completely different from the American cartoon.

Also, you can only find "kaze" in Japan.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 5, 2010 10:41 AM
Apr 2009
well, they do it as common courtesy over there, to prevent infecting others... also from what I can tell they are too pampered and general pansies about illness and injury. I honestly think it is embarrassing, my japanese room mate is always freaking out about the smallest things, but most of it seems not that big a deal.

for me, who have had numerous severe injuries and almost never went to the doctor for them... cracked ribs, dislocated limbs, stab wounds, ect, I always am in awe when, if I have a slight sniffle and he suggests I go to the doctor to get it examined. I better have pneumonia, bronchitis, and influenza at once if I am actually going to the doctor.... >_>
Nov 17, 2010 6:47 PM

Dec 2009
Yeah I've always wondered why at least anime makes it seem like if you just go outside at night in Japan, you get a cold too.
But I assume they wear the masks because they have so many people cramped into a small area that contagiousness is a much bigger issue. Because if you're sick in the train there, you're bound to get someone else sick because of the crowds
Nov 17, 2010 9:29 PM
Jul 2010
mahollo said:
But I assume they wear the masks because they have so many people cramped into a small area that contagiousness is a much bigger issue. Because if you're sick in the train there, you're bound to get someone else sick because of the crowds

This is probably the answer because I've seen the same done in Hong Kong, and most of the time it's just not to get any others sick due to the tight and cramped streets XD
Nov 18, 2010 9:24 AM

Jun 2008
I think it's just kind of a staple part in anime. You know, like how they always show the character with a red face when they are sick also. Who knows though, it may just be something they take very seriously in Japan.
Nov 18, 2010 10:51 AM
Jan 2009
Awesome topic :D

But yea,I guess in Japan they take colds more seriously.
Or perhaps it an anime-only thing?
Nov 18, 2010 2:04 PM

Apr 2008
The Japanese are generally more health conscious than the average society. I once saw a toilet in Japan that tested your urine for diabetes of all things.
Nov 18, 2010 3:50 PM

Jan 2008
Uh, in response to the idea that Japanese people take time off for being sick... I'm pretty sure in Japan you're required to go to work/school no matter what. The only exceptions are when you have a limb cut off or are on the verge of death. How'd you think they got so successful even though they had two nukes fall on them? The reason we're even fascinated by them wearing masks is because they wear them everywhere! Work, home, school, public transport, etc.

When I got a cold in Japan I was given this really old fashioned medication which basically consisted of white powder in a small triangle paper packet. So weird. No it wasn't cocaine, I'm sure. I can't remember if it was any good, but I do remember going to a mall and buying proper western-looking meds later, lol.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Nov 18, 2010 4:04 PM

Jul 2010
Beatnik said:
Uh, in response to the idea that Japanese people take time off for being sick... I'm pretty sure in Japan you're required to go to work/school no matter what. The only exceptions are when you have a limb cut off or are on the verge of death. How'd you think they got so successful even though they had two nukes fall on them? The reason we're even fascinated by them wearing masks is because they wear them everywhere! Work, home, school, public transport, etc.

When I got a cold in Japan I was given this really old fashioned medication which basically consisted of white powder in a small triangle paper packet. So weird. No it wasn't cocaine, I'm sure. I can't remember if it was any good, but I do remember going to a mall and buying proper western-looking meds later, lol.

Good call lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 18, 2010 4:15 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
KyuuAL said:
風邪【かぜ】(kaze)

"Kaze" is the Japanese word for the "common cold"; and it's completely different from the American common cold. Just like how "anime" is the Japanese word for "cartoon", but it's completely different from the American cartoon.

Ah, kaze means "wind".
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Nov 18, 2010 5:35 PM

Dec 2008
Tracer_Senpai said:
KyuuAL said:
風邪【かぜ】(kaze)

Ah, kaze means "wind".

Just let him have his fun.
Nov 18, 2010 7:15 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
lol, just say'n
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Nov 19, 2010 5:05 AM
May 2009
Some Colds are mild, so just a cough and a sniffle. But you can get some where you body is aching, and you have a temperature.
Nov 19, 2010 10:50 AM

Jul 2010
Heh, they seem to catch one quicker too. "Oh shit a raindrop just fell on me... Hatchoo!"

Nov 19, 2010 11:13 AM

Nov 2010
the whole 'getting sick easily' thing might be because they are so obssesed with hygiene over there that they don't develop a proper immune system. seriously, they don't even touch thier food with thier bare hand :P
Nov 19, 2010 3:28 PM

Nov 2008
less personal space, most ppl travel by public transport, and its super crowded, so cold's spread more easily.
even during allergy seasons, and even if they aren't actually sick, ppl wear masks to prevent themselves from getting sick.
Nov 19, 2010 6:55 PM

Dec 2008
Probably just another thing exaggerated in Anime, we had a similar discussion about "Indirect kisses" before...
Nov 19, 2010 7:00 PM

Aug 2009
I don't think its just a Japanese thing for people to wear facemasks when they have a cold. I've seen a few Asians do this. Even here in Australia.
Nov 19, 2010 9:03 PM

May 2009
Colds are exaggerated like crazy in anime and manga. Having characters being virtually crippled after standing in the rain for a minute or two and whatnot. I doubt this is a Japanese thing; just an anime/manga thing.
Nov 19, 2010 9:09 PM
May 2010
Tracer_Senpai said:
KyuuAL said:
風邪【かぜ】(kaze)

Ah, kaze means "wind".

Uh- kaze also means cold, if he meant wind it would be 風, not 風邪.

Don't know why you'd call out the guy when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.