Forum Settings
Forums

[Update June 1] Forum Conversation View: Beta Testing

New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 31, 2023 2:23 AM

Mar 2008
@Stardew
Would be nice if it was actualy the case. Take a closer look. You cant easily quote users now. To quote you can only highlight text then quote that but it wont let you do several posts quotes in a single post without manually copying and pasting it together.
May 31, 2023 2:29 AM
DG9 CEO striker

Aug 2020
Looks great to me, just don't permanently remove the classic view and fix whatever the old heads of forums are talking about 
9cycle cycle9

May 31, 2023 2:33 AM

Jan 2021
Looks good to me. But the "Bottom" button isn't working on mobile.
Roxy

May 31, 2023 3:29 AM

Sep 2019
Ooh, that explains why I suddenly had someone mention me in a thread - it'll most likely be an extremely useful feature.
Waiting for something to happen?
May 31, 2023 4:33 AM

Sep 2010
Ardanaz said:
I appreciate it. Especially when reading up on a thread in the old way, it's so hard to keep track of replies. It's a massive ball of mixed up quote trees all going through each other. At least this way it's clear.

I used it for some minutes and it's an absolute clusterfuck. And this wouldn't even be a problem if it was compatible with the legacy view but it's not so you are basically just making the experience worse for legacy users and force them into the new view because nobody wants to scroll up and down to follow a conversation. Why not just use quotes and convert them into the reddit view like traed already mentioned? Then both sides could use the view they prefer without a problem. If you release it like it is right now you will just kill the active forum userbase, but who knows, maybe that's exactly what you want.
May 31, 2023 4:38 AM

Jan 2011
Kineta said:
We've been working on a new feature for the forum—and we wanted MAL Supporters to be the first members to try it out!

Conversation View allows multiple conversations to happen within the same forum topic at the same time. By collapsing all of the replies to one post, it becomes easier to interact with the posts you want to (while ignoring the ones you don't). In the future, it'll also make it easier for us to put the posts you care about most at the top of the topic; for example, posts your friends make ( •̀ᴗ•́ )✧

Beta Testing is available for MAL Supporters only for 2~3 weeks. You'll receive a private message on MAL with a link to where you can report any issues you encounter during testing.

We hope everyone will look forward to using this new feature!

FAQ / Known Issues

Do I have to use the new Conversation view?
Nope! You can continue using Classic view if you prefer.

Why does Classic view look a bit different?
There are a few changes which allow us to support both Classic and Conversation views at the same time.

The "Quote" button on posts has been replaced with "Reply" which mentions the user instead of quoting them.
This allows replies made in Classic view to be seen as replies in Conversation view.
If you would like to quote a user, please highlight the portion of text you wish to quote and click "Quote Reply".
As such, double-posting in Classic view will no longer be frowned upon.

The "New reply" button on the first page is moved below the opening post.

Where is my forum signature?
Conversation view offers a more compact design than Classic view, so signatures will be hidden into cards which appear when you hover over the username or avatar of the poster. This will fill the light blue space that you see on the forum card now. Think of the Discord profile cards you see, with a cover photo and some custom text area.
No thanks.
May 31, 2023 4:54 AM

Dec 2013
Sweet Jesus, took u long enough, but hey, at least it's here. 

Time to use the forum more at last.
May 31, 2023 4:55 AM

Jul 2021
I like the classic view and I'm not changing it, but I might give a shot to the new feature when it arrives for everyone
May 31, 2023 5:05 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
The hierarchical comment system only works with n-1 relationships. I'm curious how they handle old comments that replied to multiple persons.
May 31, 2023 6:02 AM

Apr 2021
doesn’t anilist have this?
beep!
MAL's Little Raccoon #2
made by hearingnote

matching w/ sekai-

May 31, 2023 6:15 AM

Mar 2010
@traed That do suck as well. Maybe its better for them to just make 3 modes and leave classic alone for real (before changes) hahahaha
May 31, 2023 6:30 AM

Feb 2020
Wait I just noticed that the quote reply just copy pastes the text. You can't get someone elses bbcode anymore, so any formatting, images or quote borders will disappear, it's just all plain text now. This update is even worse than I initially thought, wow. You've really outdone yourselves with this one.
mazuchiMay 31, 2023 6:35 AM
May 31, 2023 6:31 AM

Mar 2008
@Rakkaaa
Rakkaaa said:
doesn’t anilist have this?

I guess with this they just want everyone to move to Anilist or any other site since this is no longer functional.
May 31, 2023 6:33 AM

Jul 2021
is this the reason that now i can not copy and paste some texts , and some links to the "new reply" section ?
pressing control+C then control+V doesnt work either .

can you guys fix this bug ?

i dont want to manually type a long link , like : en.wikipedia.org/sdrfdjdsewrfetyfjnfzswerdtujdggfjgcxdrtyhjfghxfjvgkmg

Hello everyone , please check out and subscribe to my youtube channel , DayWithoutAnime 2.0 DayWithoutGame , that has many meme , funny anime / manga videos , thank you :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFNBo_02wOQwRJ4HXlzC9dw
May 31, 2023 6:34 AM

Apr 2012
On the one hand, I like how it speeds up and simplifies the answer. On the other hand, this seems to make it harder to quote and multiple reply in one comment. Which is especially odd, given that moderators used to insist on avoiding multiple comments at once.
May 31, 2023 6:38 AM

Mar 2008
@RobertBobert harder is an understatement.
May 31, 2023 6:40 AM

Apr 2012
@traed  Have you already tried this with the new forum?
May 31, 2023 6:44 AM

Mar 2008
@RobertBobert No I dont have access. It's harder on what is falsely labelled "classic". You can no longer quote users at a click of a button, you can only do so by highlighting a user's post text portion and clicking a button that way. You can no longer quote multiple users without having to copy and paste over and over and over in multiple tex boxes from one to another. You no longer have access to the BBCode. Because so many replies are all user mentions you can not see the trail of conversation.
May 31, 2023 6:46 AM

Apr 2012
@traed I'm a little worried about the mention of a greater need to copy text, because the last 4-5 days I've been having trouble pasting copied text, especially if I translated it.
May 31, 2023 6:54 AM
Honesty sounds like a really good feature to me, Anilist has something very similar and it works really well there. I do wish that it was available for everyone to try but oh well.
May 31, 2023 6:56 AM

Mar 2008
@RobertBobert
You cant do that anymore. You have to highlight then click "quote reply" and copy it from there which you cant do if youre not logged in. You also cant bring this up from a locked thread so good luck getting that to work. But seems on locked threads you are able to copy directly. But you cant copy the BBcode you have no access to that and you cant copy the content of a quote in a reply.
May 31, 2023 7:01 AM

Feb 2011
MAL gets worse with each update.
May 31, 2023 7:11 AM

Mar 2008
@Kikugi
Now you have to reply to someone just to quote them and you cant reply to multiple users.

@kineta
@Ardanaz
What happens on the forum conversation view if I include user mentions in a reply to someone and make it multiple users like this?

@traed
Hi me
May 31, 2023 7:12 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
I use the quote function a lot, so please don't remove it.
May 31, 2023 7:16 AM

Mar 2008
Yuki-Chan276 said:
I use the quote function a lot, so please don't remove it.

You can still technically do it by highlighting text then click "quote reply" but it takes A lot more effort and time especially if you want to quote multipple people which requires you to copy and paste repeatedly over and over spending hours writing a reply that could have taken seconds before so makes you want to use the site 100 times if not 100% less. You also cant quote the quote of the person you are trying to quote because no BBcode access.
May 31, 2023 7:18 AM

Aug 2022
It's good to see the new features on this website after the Dark mode feature!
May 31, 2023 7:27 AM
Soaring

Aug 2014
The conversation view looks like trash. The classic view is now full of replies making it impossible to know what they're talking about.

I just don't understand what the point of this was. It strips the MAL forums of their personality and makes it look like Reddit except worse. If you're going to make it like any other site then what reason do I have to keep using this one. You have to understand that there's a reason people have been using this site for all these years.

As a premium paying customer with additional rights and privilages I'm going to use those privilages to ask you to revert this update entirely.
May 31, 2023 7:31 AM

Feb 2011
FlyingDunsparce said:
As a premium paying customer with additional rights and privilages I'm going to use those privilages to ask you to revert this update entirely.

They don't care. I don't remember a single good update on this site in years. It's almost like they're trying to make it worse on purpose.
May 31, 2023 7:43 AM
魔法少女

Nov 2020
@_cjessop19_  I thought of Reddit first when I was reading the announcement for this new feature. Branches are definitely helpful. It doesn't look like that may be the case. It appears everything is just right under the initial reply.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 𝐼𝒻 𝒶𝓃𝓎𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝑒𝓁𝓁𝓈 𝓂𝑒 𝒾𝓉’𝓈 𝒶 𝓂𝒾𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒽𝑜𝓅𝑒,
𝓌𝑒𝓁𝓁 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓃, 𝐼’𝓁𝓁 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓉𝑒𝓁𝓁 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎’𝓇𝑒 𝓌𝓇𝑜𝓃𝑔. *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
𝚍𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜
𝚗𝚎𝚠𝚜𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜
May 31, 2023 8:15 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
I also find that by changing the quote function in replies, it has become more difficult to follow the course of a conversation (in normal view). But please keep in mind that this is a beta version.
-DxP-May 31, 2023 8:26 AM
May 31, 2023 8:26 AM

Oct 2010
Updates like this make me glad i don't use the forum anymore LOL 
May 31, 2023 8:57 AM

Oct 2010
lol kineta called another minion to promote this trash, forum mods don't even use the forums and the dude is talking about quotes, this is hilarious.
May 31, 2023 9:23 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
@traed It's just yikes imo. Thank you for explaining it in depth!
May 31, 2023 10:04 AM
• Mafumafu Fan •

Apr 2018
I think this is a fine change. Giving people the option to choose between the 2 never hurts, there are always people who have different taste, both have their pro's and con's. I agree with my fellow minions that the new view makes it a bit easier to follow everything. Thanks for this Kineta and I hope the beta works out fine

~Minion 3

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
May 31, 2023 10:04 AM
Mar 2023
Quoting is beetter so that they know what you're replying to, what if they wrote tons of answers and they dk which one it is
                                 cacagorilla will take over
May 31, 2023 10:06 AM

Feb 2021
@-DxP- , I hope that it WON'T be a stable version, thanks.
May 31, 2023 10:21 AM

Jun 2011
StephWeeb said:
Giving people the option to choose between the 2 never hurts

It's not an option when they gut the original layout. It's like if someone stole everything from my house and moved it into a worse house, and they gave me the "option" of staying with nothing or moving with my stuff.
May 31, 2023 10:30 AM

May 2020
So far, I looks nice :)) I hope everything works out well. 
May 31, 2023 10:44 AM

Feb 2010
@-DxP- Yes this kills the Classic and is a net negative for users who prefer that mode. In the past, Classic modes were not a downgrade the About Me or List Style. But for forum posts if you want to follow a topic more clearly, you have to use BOTH modes sometimes lol. If Reply in classic still quoted as it did before, this would help classic a lot.

Worst of all the quote function is missing/broken now (?) because when you quote a reply the manually way (instead of the convenient old way) it doesn't seem to quote the BBcode formatting. If quoting worked again in classic as it did before, this would also help a lot and not be such a downgrade for many users.
Shishio-kunMay 31, 2023 10:48 AM
May 31, 2023 10:47 AM

Feb 2010
@mazuchi Absolutely terrible oversight on their part.
May 31, 2023 10:53 AM

Feb 2020
Shishio-kun said:
@mazuchi Absolutely terrible oversight on their part.

Yep. With each update I'm getting more and more convinced that they do no testing whatsoever.
May 31, 2023 11:07 AM

Feb 2020
To give some people who don't understand an idea what removing the ability to quote the bbcode does. This:

B said:
A said:

Post 3

Post 4

is gone. This is what we get now:

B said:
B said:
A said:
B said:
A said:
Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Yeah, just use the classic mode if you prefer.
May 31, 2023 11:09 AM

Feb 2010
@mazuchi seeing it actually laid out like that

OOOF

May 31, 2023 11:10 AM

Jul 2009
I like the changes personally, hardly anyone quotes and notifications are underused a little.

Where do you change the settings when it is released publicly?
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
🌳                             🌳
🌳     🐝           🦝       🌲   🌳 
🌳      Cursor Nature reserve           🌳
🌳        🦋        🦩     🐕    🌳
🌳                              🌳
🌳      🐐        🌲       🐧    🌳
May 31, 2023 11:14 AM

Jun 2011
thinkpad said:
hardly anyone quotes

wat​
May 31, 2023 11:18 AM

Feb 2010
thinkpad said:
Where do you change the settings when it is released publicly?

It's under the user avatar upper right of the page. I click it in my video posted earlier.

May 31, 2023 11:25 AM

Jul 2009
@Shishio-kun Looks alright. Will have to try it myself post-beta.
🌳                             🌳
🌳     🐝           🦝       🌲   🌳 
🌳      Cursor Nature reserve           🌳
🌳        🦋        🦩     🐕    🌳
🌳      🐐        🌲       🐧    🌳
May 31, 2023 11:34 AM

Dec 2020
All the moderators defending this lol. No one asked for this, No one likes this. This is a forum and should remain so. Stop supporting regressive updates to this site instead of introducing changes people have asked for, for years. NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS SHIT. STOP RUINING THIS SITE.
May 31, 2023 11:40 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Kineta said:
Do I have to use the new Conversation view?
Nope! You can continue using Classic view if you prefer.

Why does Classic view look a bit different?
There are a few changes which allow us to support both Classic and Conversation views at the same time.
The "Quote" button on posts has been replaced with "Reply" which mentions the user instead of quoting them.
This allows replies made in Classic view to be seen as replies in Conversation view.
If you would like to quote a user, please highlight the portion of text you wish to quote and click "Quote Reply".
As such, double-posting in Classic view will no longer be frowned upon.

The "New reply" button on the first page is moved below the opening post.

Which Classic??? This ain't Classic no more.

A bit different??? No, this isn't just a bit. This ain't working.

I don't want to use the new version, so why not just keep Classic the way you had it?
If MAL wants to introduce something new while allowing to use the old version, then keep the old version as is.

Look at that quote, quoting with that bugger feature you are forcing us, makes the original text lose all flavor.
Heck I had that bugger disabled because I have to select text way too often due to the clubs!!!! IT's Freaking Annoying having that dang bugger appear each and every single time!!!
And now I don't have quoting... did you guys even consider the clubs and games out there that use this feature heavily??? What about us??
Quoting was functional in more ways than one. Then you go and freaking kill it.

MAL keeps going downhill.
MAL doesn't appear to care about its userbase.
MAL makes changes without even considering us nor fixing old problems.

I can understand that, with how long MAL wasn't changing nor keeping up with modern times, you want to catch up and appear as if there's something going on... but man. Not like this.

You are really making the people that have stayed here feel like our feedback is worthless and that we should simply forget about all the time, effort and love we have for this place and just move on and find somewhere better. There ARE alternatives, you know.

Oh and don't tell me "this is beta testing" bs. This has already been implemented and forced upon us.
Who's gonna read me and everyone else and see how your userbase reacts to it?
What, just cause it's a couple of ppl complaining you are gonna ignore us? Cause MAL has millions of users?

Just when we will receive replies about our complains? Any explanation whatsoever?

Are the people still trying to update MAL those that literally don't use it?

So many questions and all the missing answers.

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

May 31, 2023 11:43 AM

Dec 2019
how do I even go back to classic mode?
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

213 by AkiraYuwiiiii »»
1 hour ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by Jeniferu4edy »»
8 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.