3It was OK
17.9%
2Disliked it
3.6%
1Hated it
4.2%
Average 4.0
168 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2010 6:36 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I understand Mandarin, so when I heard the Japanese side's Mandarin was awkward, I kind of thought weird. Yoshino-san's and Namikawa-san's Mandarin were like that. (Though glad to hear them speaking Mandarin)

So, the main characters have some kind of power?

I liked the OP (Yakushoku by MUCC).
tsubasaloverApr 5, 2010 6:50 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 5, 2010 8:11 PM

Feb 2009
I agree with you there.Their Chinese was definitely awkward that it made me lol.

Seriously, this anime somewhat reminded me of Baccano set in China. Must be because the main characters has those superhuman abilities. Plus, the main guy's VA also voiced Firo XD.

Overall, the episode was GREAT. :D Can't wait for the next episode.
At first I was like, (╬ ಠ益ಠ)
Σ(゚∀´(┗┐ヽ(・∀・ )ノ <--- Then I was like
In the end, I was \(▽ ̄\( ̄▽ ̄)/ ̄▽)/ヤッタァー!!
Apr 5, 2010 9:39 PM

Nov 2007
Not the best first episode for spring 2010, but i guess i will follow it, since its in TV Tokyo, it is safe to assume the CrunchyShit will acquire it. Hopefully some decent fabsub picks it, didnt understand the mandarin at all :/
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 6, 2010 4:26 AM
Jun 2008
First impression: Japanese's mandarin really bad(can't help i guess).....Barely able to understand a few word,and it sound horrible >.< (if its Cantonese,it will be even worst since mandarin got 5 pronunciation and Cantonese got 7 pronunciation).For some reason, its funny and irritating .....
Thankfully they hire a few local...
MorningGloryApr 6, 2010 4:35 AM
Apr 6, 2010 6:22 AM

Apr 2009
waiting for subs....
Apr 6, 2010 8:34 AM
Oct 2009
Whos subbing this?
Apr 6, 2010 9:32 AM

Jul 2006
VintorezNL said:
Whos subbing this?

Yeah i want to know that too. Thanks ^^
Apr 6, 2010 9:42 AM

Aug 2009
Fansub Wiki says: PhuzySubs, Phantom-Subs & Kindaichi Academy Workz, Kaze no Koe Fansubs & Megami-Anime
Apr 6, 2010 10:01 AM

Jun 2009
Well it was no surprise that the Chinese was bad, I don't know anything about the actual language (apart from some theoretical facts) but it's the same with any other foreign language.
And it's not like other countries are better in representing foreign languages in popular culture, so even if it's cringe-worthy I can live with it.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 6, 2010 1:31 PM

Aug 2008
Lol @ the Chinese. Some were really bad, but others were quite good.

I'll rewatch this when the sub comes out so I can understand everything. At least they are trying to make everything politically correct, lol.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Apr 6, 2010 7:59 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
guyklc said:
At least they are trying to make everything politically correct, lol.

This is crucial....I don't think I can fully watch a series that will praise Imperial Japan....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 6, 2010 8:52 PM

Aug 2008
wakka9ca said:
guyklc said:
At least they are trying to make everything politically correct, lol.

This is crucial....I don't think I can fully watch a series that will praise Imperial Japan....

Me neither. As a Chinese myself, I think my ancestors will spring up from the grave and kill me if I watch a show that praises Japan's imperialism.

What I meant was that they politically corrected China's name, from "Shina" (its official name back then, but is now considered racist) to "Chuugoku". Also, Japan is referred to as "Nihon", and not "Dai Nippon Teikoku" (The Great Empire of Japan). Nonetheless, I was a bit annoyed at the scenes where the glorious Japanese spies easily defeated an entire fortress full of KMT troops. Oh well, so far, it's not too bad.

Apr 7, 2010 5:18 AM

Nov 2009
Looks like an interesting show. I wish I could watch it raw. I hope someone subs it soon.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Apr 7, 2010 7:00 AM

Jun 2009
guyklc said:
wakka9ca said:

Me neither. As a Chinese myself, I think my ancestors will spring up from the grave and kill me if I watch a show that praises Japan's imperialism.

Was there any show that ever outright did this?
While the Japanese are not as much grovelling in the dirt of their history as us Germans do, I think I never came upon a show that praised the Imperialism of Japan during the war era.
I agree that it is a horrible past, we have to let it go. It's already 70-80 years in the past and it's starting to get ridiculous that every Asian country always starts ringing alarm bells once Japan produces something that revolves around that time.

What I meant was that they politically corrected China's name, from "Shina" (its official name back then, but is now considered racist) to "Chuugoku". Also, Japan is referred to as "Nihon", and not "Dai Nippon Teikoku" (The Great Empire of Japan). Nonetheless, I was a bit annoyed at the scenes where the glorious Japanese spies easily defeated an entire fortress full of KMT troops. Oh well, so far, it's not too bad.

I still wonder wether those names won't be used at all, because it would be mighty historically incorrect...still I understand why they would do it.
And the 'glorious Japanese spies' part...I don't know, I just wouldn't go that far yet.

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 7, 2010 8:03 AM

Aug 2009
Sounds like an interesting series. Still waiting for subs. :(
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Apr 7, 2010 9:20 AM

Jun 2008
Wow! This show seems very promising. If they handle this well it could develop to the best show of the season.
Political games, interesting characters, nice action scenes lot's of good raw material.
I suppose the second episode will slow down and give us the explanations about the characters. Why they are the way they are how they ended up doing that job and things like that.
Hope i won't be disappointed in future episodes. Until now it looks very very promising.
Apr 7, 2010 9:34 AM

Dec 2008
As one of very few anime from spring season, this episode actually had some interesting music in it...
Apr 7, 2010 9:43 AM

Aug 2009
This looks like a promising anime. 4/5 for this episode.

But I didn't get the ending. So the guy with the stache and the hat is their real target?
Apr 7, 2010 11:01 AM

Apr 2009
Hey, that was actually quite good. Fast-paced, kept me interested, with what seem so far to be likeable characters, and nice music here and there. Can't wait for the next episode :)
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Apr 7, 2010 11:28 AM

Aug 2008
seizonsha said:

Was there any show that ever outright did this?
While the Japanese are not as much grovelling in the dirt of their history as us Germans do, I think I never came upon a show that praised the Imperialism of Japan during the war era.
I agree that it is a horrible past, we have to let it go. It's already 70-80 years in the past and it's starting to get ridiculous that every Asian country always starts ringing alarm bells once Japan produces something that revolves around that time.

See: Kobayashi Yoshinori. He is a famous mangaka that depicts Japan as completely innocent of any war crimes during WWII. Also see: "Hate Korean Wave" (forgot the author) that depicts Koreans as inferior people and that Japan "modernized" Korea without hurting a single innocent soul. There have been many manga that promote Japanese fascism. Thankfully, they are only popular among the right-wingers (for now). I just hope they won't permeate into the regular anime industry.

I still wonder wether those names won't be used at all, because it would be mighty historically incorrect...still I understand why they would do it.
And the 'glorious Japanese spies' part...I don't know, I just wouldn't go that far yet.

Using "shina" and "Dai Nippon Teikoku" are very controversial in Japan. The fact that this anime would go so far as to avoid using them and making the whole show historically incorrect as not to offend viewers shows that at least it won't be complete right-wing propaganda.

Apr 7, 2010 11:37 AM

Dec 2007
A promising show. The premise is great.
Apr 7, 2010 11:54 AM

May 2007
This is by far, the best series this season IMO.

Apr 7, 2010 12:18 PM

Jul 2009
Very cool episode. I can't wait to see more.

And if anyone is wondering about the anonymous subs out there: I don't know how accurate the translation is, but there weren't any problems with the grammar.
Apr 7, 2010 12:20 PM

Jun 2009
guyklc said:

See: Kobayashi Yoshinori. He is a famous mangaka that depicts Japan as completely innocent of any war crimes during WWII. Also see: "Hate Korean Wave" (forgot the author) that depicts Koreans as inferior people and that Japan "modernized" Korea without hurting a single innocent soul. There have been many manga that promote Japanese fascism. Thankfully, they are only popular among the right-wingers (for now). I just hope they won't permeate into the regular anime industry.

Like you said, there is rarely a right wing work that actually makes it into mainstream culture. Right-wing ideals have existed and always will exist throughout every medium in the history of popular culture...but most people are at least intelligent enough to notice them.
There is a great deal of underground Nazi popculture around the world (even here in Germany where it's forbidden by law), still not everyone immediatly assumes that a title depicting 1930's-40's Germany will show it in a positive light...maybe more the other way around because of the way we handled things...

I just think that it is time that we learn to accept this (admittedly horrible) time as a part of our history and start dealing with it a little bit more abstract.
I'm just saying that because it's hard to be raised with the idea that you cannot be proud of your country...as it is often done in Germany.

Using "shina" and "Dai Nippon Teikoku" are very controversial in Japan. The fact that this anime would go so far as to avoid using them and making the whole show historically incorrect as not to offend viewers shows that at least it won't be complete right-wing propaganda.

It really is a difficult question wether to use or not use such words, I think.
If you're shooting a film set in the days of the American settlers, should the word redskin be avoided, even though it was clearly used back then?
Should the concept of Jewish people be smoothed over when shooting a film set in the 1940's Germany?
Of course by todays standards those things are in fact offensive, but they were a part of life back then.

While it should of course not venture into propagandistic territories, I think it shouldn't be painted over with modern political correctness either.
Even though it has clear fantasy elements, it is still set in that time and it's airtime is nothing that would get small children to watch a show like this, so you can expect at least some knowledge about historical facts.

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 7, 2010 12:26 PM

Jul 2007
ooh I liked it! It was rather fast paced, I like shows that I don't feel like I've watched for an hour when only 5 minutes passed. And NamiDaisuke using his sexy deep voice *__* and speaking chinese so badly XD (I don't know chinese at all, but the accent sounded just as bad as when he attempts to speak engrish.. you fail as a spy, Daisuke!! XD)

Definitely going to keep watching this... and it's original?? that means wrapping up at ep 13 might not be as bad as it usually is.
Apr 7, 2010 1:13 PM

Apr 2009
Why did they have a time restriction? It didn't seem to have anything to do with how much they could use their powers or the KMT attack so...?
Apr 7, 2010 1:54 PM

Oct 2009
This was awesome, I loved everything from the atmosphere to the music. I'm definetly going to follow this one.
Apr 7, 2010 1:57 PM

Aug 2009
That was pretty good, the mandarin was very off putting, some of the line were ust full of so much fail. But the music and art is amazing.
Apr 7, 2010 2:03 PM

Jun 2009
I like me some "controversial" anime.
Apr 7, 2010 2:21 PM

Jun 2009
can't waite for more
Apr 7, 2010 2:53 PM

May 2008
Nice ep was this, despite I'm a little bit confused. I loved the atmosphere it was like DTB in China, the characters seem likeable too so I probably watch it till the end.
Apr 7, 2010 3:00 PM

Nov 2008
You know, this was better than I expected it to be. The whole thing went by quickly and I enjoyed it for the most part.

I don't know if this will exceed the "fun time-waster" status I gave it for now, but it's most likely going to something I will be watching all the way through, which is pretty impressive considering my fairly low expectations for it.

NOTE: this comment made was judging the anime as a work of fiction and nothing more. I don't know the historical background behind the anime or the kind of war crimes the Japanese committed towards the Chinese in this time period. (being European rather than American, the history lessons on WWII focused more on the Nazis than the Japanese) I will comment on these matters after I have done some research on the matter.
Rosa_FOEtidaApr 8, 2010 12:24 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 7, 2010 3:05 PM

Jul 2009
forced laugh.. HA-HA-HA-HA

hope this gets better. :O
Apr 7, 2010 3:29 PM

Sep 2008
Well already see the 1st episode, kinda cliche but at least the BGM is superb. The best Soundtrack of this season i think.
And i like this one more than previous ANC slot.
Apr 7, 2010 3:36 PM

Jul 2009
Uh, kool job Japan.

Beating up Chinese people.

Also, the Mandarin was so bad I wanted to stab my ears out.

It was really distracting to me, and now I am not really sure what happened in the episode.

:|

I am a bit disappointed.