Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 19, 2008 3:09 AM

Mar 2007
Excellent ending, Kaiji's loss was probably the best ending possible. There are way too many main characters winning in the end of anime.
I'm giving Kaiji 8/10 and I'll have to watch Akagi in a near future.
Apr 19, 2008 3:39 AM

Sep 2007
Vast improvement over the past couple of episodes. Really wasn't expecting Kaiji to lose - I'll certainly be looking forward to the second season.

That whole "Luck of the King" bullshit drew me in for a second there. I should have known better by now.
Apr 19, 2008 4:13 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
naikou said:
That whole "Luck of the King" bullshit drew me in for a second there. I should have known better

Me too, I'm glad they decided to do it this way. Very nice final episode. 8/10

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 19, 2008 5:05 AM

Jun 2007
A unusual ending to a unusual anime. In a way I wanted to see Kaiji be victorious. But on the other hand, it wouldn't fit the series. Kaiji is the ultimate survivor no the ultimate gambler or anything like that. Yea he lost a lot, but he could have ended dead. Like so many in the show. Kaiji survived. And maybe this rough lesson will mature him enough to come back with a vengeance!
Apr 19, 2008 7:11 AM

Jul 2007
Pretty good final episode.
Obviously Kaiji was too panicked to see Hyoudou's cheating, but at least he understood everything afterwards. I'll agree that he really is the ultimate survivor. Instead of dwelling in despair after his loss, he instead figured out why he lost, and found some new hope somehow.

As a whole, this anime was awesome. Kaiji is a great character. He is very close to a real human being in his thoughts and actions(although the ear part was a bit over-the-top, it's still realistic), yet he accomplishes things normal human beings couldn't.
The story was okay i guess, nothing overly spectacular but it got the job done more than well enough. The different arcs all had different feelings to them. Restricted RPS was a cool concept and seeing Kaiji trying to get plans to win all the way was cool, although in the end he failed to win, he still survived.
The Brave Men Road was something else althogether. It was completely inhuman, but quite cool in it's own way. Kaiji once again failed to win, but still survived and was able to go the the second part(don't know what to say about it, other than it was awesome >_>).
The we get E-Card. That's where the series took a turn to the awesome. Seeing Kaiji's plan in action was one of the most awesome things i've seen yet. This was the first time he "really" won, but he ended up just becoming a survivor instead of a winner.

Overall it was a great series, the tension was awesome most of the time, and it showed views of society in general that were very well made. I think this is something everyone should watch(like Akagi).

Can't wait for the sequels(considering there are 2 other Kaiji manga "series" after this one), whenever they are made.
Apr 19, 2008 7:54 AM

Mar 2008
Well, the climax part was way to simple. Not much suprises, there. You knew from the start that the chairman was cheating. There were not much possibilities for plottwists either. So the last part was way to simple for a showdown of a very good show. Reminded me of Death Note, though DN started to fail much sooner.

I also think, that this is an obvious setup to a second season, though it could end in an open way, here too.

Overall it was a pretty good, refreshing and unique show. I wanted to give a 9, but the ending made me want to give an 8.

Oh well, I will stick with the 9.
Apr 19, 2008 2:34 PM

Feb 2008
Good ending! Kaiji was stupid :))) so we can expect Kaiji 2! Great!!!
8 out of 10!
Apr 19, 2008 4:33 PM

May 2007
good anime ending of anime was bad .....
thy should make it longer if they wanted this way...
well Its not always winning and this shows how real life works ^^
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Apr 19, 2008 5:17 PM

Aug 2007
The best ending for Kaiji imho. Gets a 9.5/10... The final arc was really bellow the quality of E-card and E-card was a bit bellow the Brave's Men Road. Still managed to skip me some heatbeats.
Apr 20, 2008 9:28 PM

Nov 2007
Good end. Poor Kaiji ;_;

Want season 2. Or scanlators for parts 2 and 3.

No wall o' text from me.
Apr 21, 2008 9:01 AM

Aug 2007
When is the second season coming out?
Apr 21, 2008 9:34 AM

Mar 2008
lops-sama said:

We don't even know, yet, if there will be one (at least not 100%).
Apr 21, 2008 9:35 AM

Mar 2007
lops-sama said:

Hopefully never. It was a perfect ending that should not be continued.
Apr 21, 2008 10:43 AM

Jun 2007
Sobzob said:
lops-sama said:

Hopefully never. It was a perfect ending that should not be continued.

Two series to follow suit disagree with you.
Apr 21, 2008 3:56 PM
Sep 2006
OMG!! WOW! I wasn't epecting kaiji to lose.. and houdou actually gave kaiji a chance.. is there going to be a sequel to this?
Apr 22, 2008 11:55 AM
Sep 2007
8/10 was a solid anime, and it touches on allot of things that really happen in real life.
Hi
May 3, 2008 12:33 PM

Sep 2007
Im not sure wether to like or dislike the ending..
I dont want a second season though.. Kaiji doesn't have any more body parts to gamble with XD! Well he can use his 100,000 Y >_<

All I get out from the ending is that you shouldn't cheat in games :P

May 10, 2008 9:07 PM

Sep 2007
I have to say, Kaiji definitely disappointed me with this ending. While the beginning of Kaiji gave me what I wanted (a smart character he thought through his actions), it seems as if Kaiji has gotten dumber.

I always knew that he panicked when under pressure but this is too much. Isn't checking for cheating the first thing that you are supposed to do? The EXTREMELY OBVIOUS fold on the paper from when Hyoudou first showed it had me facepalming everywhere. Kaiji gets what he deserved for being retarded.

/endrant on dumb protagonists
May 29, 2008 6:19 PM

Feb 2008
I really wanted Kaiji to win. However, I felt that it wasn't going to happen, and I even put off watching the last two episodes for days because of it.

Still, this ending episode actually knocked the show up from an 8 to a 9 for me. Had Kaiji won, how would it be a satisfactory ending? The Chairman's out 100 million, but something like that would barely affect him. It's certainly no compensation for torture and murder. Instead, with this ending, we get to see the single biggest character shift in Kaiji, ironically putting him right back where he started, and the series is set up for a promising sequel, and hopefully an appropriate vengeance in the future.

Also... don't have time to confirm it right now, but do we ever see Kaiji's left hand in the ending song? Just a thought.
Aug 28, 2008 1:37 PM

Jun 2008
I'm glad he lost. it would have been dumb if he won.

I'm so glad there will be a 2nd season but I have a feeling it won't seem as good 1st. I give the first season a 8.5/10
Oct 29, 2008 7:03 AM

Feb 2008
Damn, he got fucked over.
I was expecting the ending to be a bit more... epic.
Oh well, second season confirmed for early 2009 I think? Looking forward to that.
Overall, a really good show. I give it an 8/10.
Nov 7, 2008 12:37 AM

Aug 2008
Akagi would have found a way to win
Nov 26, 2008 9:10 PM

Jan 2008
one of my favorite animes that I've seen so far

Dec 7, 2008 7:51 PM

Jul 2008
Wow sucks to be kaiji dude
Dec 9, 2008 2:51 PM

Oct 2008
Well, I am finally done after watching this in two days, and I can`t really explain how many things I liked about this show. I loved almost every part of it, nothing made me react or think that they should have changed something. And I loved the ending, since I was expecting something like he was back at home and so on, but rather we found out exactly what happened. + The thing about Hyoudou gave him an opening, was truly an epic saying from Kaiji.
Another thing I liked is...THERE IS COMING A SECOND SEASON(...?)
The date for the second season...does anybody know?

10/10

I will also pick up Akagi, since so many people recommended it, and it is the same creators and so on. Can`t wait to see that series!

EDIT: I searched through Google and so on, and I found this conformation video on youtube but..who knows.
I also went on Wikipedia and..well here it is:
Series 2

Underground Chinchiro (地下チンチロリン, Chika Chinchirorin?)

Pachinko "SWAMP" (パチンコ”沼”, Pachinko Numa?)

Series 3

Mine Field Mahjong (17 Steps Mahjong) (地雷麻雀(17歩麻雀), Jirai Majaan?)

But I guess many of you already know this by now, since I was so late in finding this show. Oh well, I am off to watch Akagi and see if that is truly good.
amavizDec 9, 2008 2:57 PM
Jan 31, 2009 8:21 PM

Jul 2008
After completing this anime, I have the sudden urge to hug Kaiji....
Feb 10, 2009 10:27 AM

Jun 2008
This was a great and a unique series. I've enjoyed it a lot.
Cant wait for season 2 and 3
Feb 12, 2009 5:46 PM

Jun 2008
Delicious. Edit: Best slice of life anime ever!

Also this show rules. Has anyone tried playing these games in real life? That's the sign of a great show. We couldn't get engineer the head-drill thingy but the card game works if you just punch each other in the balls as penalty.
hznuOct 7, 2009 7:36 PM
Mar 22, 2009 8:35 AM

Mar 2008
I had the feeling he'd get f-ed in the end. But I thought that was so he could learn a lesson; that gambling was bad.... guess I was wrong.

Lame anime
Apr 24, 2009 11:39 PM

Oct 2008
Such a sudden ending. Still a great anime and definitely one of my favorites though. 10/10 can't wait for next seasons (if they exist).
May 4, 2009 5:14 AM

May 2008
Unsatisfying end. Gah.
May 4, 2009 9:36 AM

Oct 2008
So the first 26 episode anime in a long time that I finished in around 4 days. Not sure if I should give this a 9 or 10, since the ending is less than perfect. Somewhere around a 9.5 or 9.6. Suitable ending with a proper setup for a sequel, but not really quite the perfect ending. As in I don't feel wowed by the ending.

I had a slight feeling at the back of my mind that he would lose, and sadly it turned out to be true. The message about praying being useless in this kind of situation was so true. Yet that is EXACTLY what the majority of people in this kind of situation would do, me included. Panic, despair, hopelessness and then throwing everything to God and depending entirely on God.

It was really something for Kaiji to be able to look back on the factors of the lottery and figure out how Hyodou cheated, while most people would be in absolute despair over losing their body parts and such an enormous amount of money.

The Luck of Kings indeed... Haha. Kaiji has a really long way to go before he can even match up to Hyoudou. To think that Hyoudou even gave Kaiji one chance to win. One chance to carefully think things through and figure out exactly what he was doing. To turn the tables on him.

I wonder when the 2nd season of Kaiji will air; hope it will be as epic and intense as this season. I love the Brave Men Road arc the most out of all the arcs of this series. I hope there will be arcs that match up to the intensity of Brave Men Road in the sequel(s).
Dec 12, 2009 4:21 AM

Feb 2008
So saw the crumpled sheet of paper in an instant after Hyoudou made his second draw and thought why the hell Kaiji didn't notice it all...Oh, well, Kaiji got the lesson of his lifetime and is well on his way to becoming a gambler at the price of 4 fingers and a debt of a few millions.

Still glad that i watched Akagi before watching Kaiji. Watching how "trash" squirm and begging for their life when they are cornered like the sewer rats they are never felt better.
Dec 12, 2009 5:07 AM

Sep 2007
A show about an amazing battle of wits, alliances and betrayal turns into a show about balancing on beams (fear of death, pain, and the will to attack are fine themes I suppose, but given the context, still made very boring stories) and then cheap gambles and unimpressive small-minded strategies. And by cheap gambles I mean the accomplishment of winning is cheap (because the games suck), not the actual bets. Also the characters waffling on about their shitty theories was awful every time (For example, a couple of these theories I remember are: people spend their lives making money so therefore money is worth life. As long as resources are limited people will attack each other.).

Up to episode 10 I might have called this the greatest anime ever, but the last three arcs were mostly terrible. Considering how bad they were, Fukumoto undoubtedly had only one great arc in him, so I can't bother with any more of his shit. This is so disappointing...
blockheadDec 12, 2009 5:11 AM
Dec 14, 2009 3:20 PM

Apr 2009
What the hell kind of see-the-sequel finale was that? Meh, Kaiji lost too easily IMO, it was obvious the chairman was cheating.
Anyway I got into Kaiji with a cautious but positive attitude after hearing all that good stuff about it, thankfully the animation didn't bother me a bit and I got even more interested during the first arc whose premise was very interesting, despite the various schemes straining logic a bit, the bridge part was also interesting and suspenseful, done even better by the near nihilistic speeches given by Tonegawa, but it went kinda downhill from there... all in all the show was predictable, it had some surprising moments but it still was predictable and that didn't allow me to enjoy it that much, then Kaiji's overcomplicated schemes were bordering on insanity more often than not and still worked, being revealed in a dramatic, if not pretentious, fashion... meh, a good series it is, a masterpiece hardly.
That's all I guess.
Dec 20, 2009 5:34 PM

Aug 2009
It ended as if there would be a 2nd season. Is there going to be?
[right]

Dec 21, 2009 11:47 AM

Apr 2009
Hope so. I love how manly tears make silly games (rock/paper/scissors, lotteries) into epic battles
Dec 21, 2009 11:50 AM

Jun 2009
It was pretty cool.
I want a second season! The manga still continuing isnt it?.... Thats why we got that ending, I think?
Believe in me that believes in you.
Dec 21, 2009 1:32 PM
Oct 2009
wow..people do get ahead of themselves when they accomplish a little..and people do often turn to god when something goes wrong... and by people i mean me...great anime!!
Dec 21, 2009 10:45 PM

Jan 2008
November3leven said:
Akagi would have found a way to win

Yeah, but Akagi is godly and insane. Kaiji isn't on that level.
Dec 22, 2009 8:19 PM

Jul 2009
Kaiji Was Episc From Start To Fininsh Lookin Forward To A Season 2 10/10
Mar 6, 2010 5:59 AM
Apr 2008
Am I the only who thought Kaiji was average?

Dragged on for ages, extremely predictable, over the top at points, really stupid shit (like saving the guy on the boat)

Felt like watching the same page of manga for 5 mins with some guy moaning and crying constantly.

Might have felt alot longer then it is because I watched it in 3 or 4 sessions... but it sure bored me to tears half the time.

6/10 Was okay, but wouldn't watch again.
Mar 11, 2010 3:10 PM

Apr 2009
awesome 10/10

its better to watch this before sleep ^_^
Mar 26, 2010 3:57 AM
Jul 2008
"Ultimate Survivor Kaiji", yeah right.
Apr 4, 2010 12:40 PM

Dec 2007
Ok, where the fuck is the 2nd season?
Apr 10, 2010 4:42 AM
Jan 2010
Second season fucking where?
Apr 13, 2010 2:31 AM
Mar 2010
Ending was bad, REally bad could had been alot better imo x)
Jun 15, 2010 6:03 AM

Mar 2009
Damn, in the end nothing changed for Kaiji, except for losing his ear and fingers. But I like the fact that it's not a happy ending and it's kinda realistic. Overall, a great anime.
Jul 30, 2010 2:51 PM

Dec 2008
E-Card arc dragged on for too long so the last arc was rushed. I won't even complain about the ending, it surely means there will be a 2nd season.

I want more Kaiji.

7/10
Sep 12, 2010 11:54 AM
Jul 2010
Very good. Sad it's over.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 23, 2007

136 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.