Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2007 2:13 PM

Oct 2006
Has anyone seen this yet? I'm watching it right now - I happened to find a torrent floating around. Anyway, I'm thoroughly impressed - it's awesome how the dreams blend into reality and each other, and the presentation is amazing. I'm really fond of the music too.

Also, I found the bit where Paprika compares the internet to dreams interesting. "The Internet and dreams are the means of expressing the inhibitions of mankind." I've always been curious about how the internet affects people, or rather how people respond when given the ability to freely reinvent themselves and to interact with others with little or no tangible repercussions. Anyway, I'll cut the rambling short for now, so let's discuss the film =P
KrelianApr 24, 2007 5:08 PM
Apr 24, 2007 2:18 PM

Oct 2006
Krelian said:
I'm watching it right now - I happened to find a torrent floating around.
you what?

*goes look* that's right, seems there are already torrents on this. Too bad I won't be able to download it since my traffic limitations are on the yellow zone. gotta wait for next month T_T.
Anyway a friend of mine went to see it in a cinema festival and said it was awesome . so I've been wanting to see it.
I'll be sure to come here next month to comment on the movie ^.^
KayrhandrosApr 24, 2007 2:28 PM
Apr 24, 2007 2:31 PM

Oct 2006
Heh, same here. A friend of mine did the same and I've been looking for it ever since. The torrent I found has a blurry line at the top of the picture, but the quality is good otherwise.

It's a shame you have to wait, but it's worth it.
Apr 24, 2007 3:38 PM

Oct 2006
Krelian said:
Heh, same here. A friend of mine did the same and I've been looking for it ever since.
coincidence lol
Anyway, I convinced that friend of mine to download it for me ^_^ ... lucky~ =P
Apr 24, 2007 3:58 PM

Aug 2006
W00t *goes to download*
Apr 24, 2007 4:06 PM

Oct 2006
Kayrhandros said:
Krelian said:
Heh, same here. A friend of mine did the same and I've been looking for it ever since.
coincidence lol

Your friend isn't Dutch, is he?
Apr 24, 2007 4:19 PM

Oct 2006
Krelian said:
Kayrhandros said:
Krelian said:
coincidence lol

Your friend isn't Dutch, is he?
lol, no. should he be? =P

I should be able to see the movie tomorrow.

*smile*
Apr 24, 2007 4:21 PM

Mar 2005
why does this say episode 1? o_0
Apr 24, 2007 4:45 PM

Oct 2006
Because it's the first of a 1 episode movie? =P I suppose that could be fixed so it doesn't add the episode number if there's only one, but I don't think it's too big a deal.

lol, no. should he be? =P

I suppose not... just curious as to whether we had the same friend =P
Apr 24, 2007 5:08 PM

Mar 2005
heh, changed it accordingly :)
May 29, 2007 3:26 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I so love these mindgames. I just watched it after grabbing a new (?) torrent from Tokyo Toshokan. The art was simply amazing and the characters were very good as well. You'll surely enjoy it if you're into this 'weird' stuff. 10/10

[edit]: Music was awesome as well.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 9, 2007 5:25 PM

Jan 2007
Just finished it, a very fun movie. While the first half was ok, the 2nd half was spectacular. And like Cyruz said, the art was simply amazing.
Jun 10, 2007 12:00 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
By the way, I got my file from 'goat', and a few days ago they released an HD version.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 10, 2007 12:15 AM

Mar 2007
Yes, also seen the one made from fansub group GOAT. I think the movie is quite the thing! But from what I have heard it is part of three other movies made from the same director, where the others are Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress , so now I have those as well. Gonna take an evening with a friend and watch them all =).
The HD version that you mention cyruz is really awsome, though it takes a good amount of space int the harddrive =P

Jun 10, 2007 2:59 AM

Apr 2007
I wasn't expecting much, but it was actually pretty good.
Some of the dreams kind of freaked me out.
Jun 10, 2007 7:48 AM

Feb 2005
A smashing movie indeed. The OST was quite interesting as well.
Jun 10, 2007 9:30 AM

Oct 2006
Finally watched it after the first blue-ray rip came out.

Great movie!
my favourite from all Satoshi Kon's work.
Faust721 said:
And like Cyruz said, the art was simply amazing.
qft~

9/10
Aug 11, 2007 11:28 PM

Apr 2007
perfect. 10/10.

satoshi kon > all.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Aug 12, 2007 11:03 AM

Jul 2007
I really enjoyed this movie. It was in theatres for about a week here in Toronto and I was excited to actually see an anime on the big screen. It was visually gorgeous and I really liked the characters. The soundtrack was a lot of fun as well.
Dec 12, 2007 4:33 AM

Aug 2007
Shame on me i just watched it now. Amazing nmovie 9/10
Dec 12, 2007 1:35 PM

Aug 2007
Love this film. Bought and happily paid for now (UK release).

Most of the pseudoscience was credible, but did anyone get the bit about Anaphylaxis? Quite apart from not having a clue how a severe allergic reaction relates to sharing dreams, it seemed completely inaccurate to me to compare the DC mini's effects with anaphylaxis; IIRC anaphylactic shock is very severe and almost completely fatal (so to speak) unless treated within minutes.
Dec 12, 2007 7:08 PM

Dec 2007
I just recently had a chance to watch Paprika, and was bowled over by the amazing creativity. I'm definetly going to pick up the DVD for this one to add to my collection.
Dec 12, 2007 11:35 PM

Jan 2007
Really loved it. Also, the soundtrack was amazing.
Dec 31, 2007 7:52 AM

Dec 2007
Just watched this, and it's inspired me to search out Tokyo Godfathers and Perfect Blue.

The soundtrack was the best I've heard in a long, long time.

I don't have a good one because I don't photoshop :(
Jan 7, 2008 9:47 AM

Oct 2007
Simply amazing. the animation, the soundtracks, the characters, the story! It's definitely one of Satoshi Kon's best animation. Ive seen his other ones (Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress) and Paprika's my favourite. Still to watch Paranoia Agent though >_<.
I definitely recommend it in blue-ray, it's worth it ;)

Jan 7, 2008 12:43 PM

Sep 2006
Been a while since I've seen the movie, but I absolutely loved it. While I would probably rate Millennium Actress higher, it's still damn near perfect - proving, once again, that Satoshi Kon is no run of the mill director.

And again, Susumu Hirasawa's work compliments the movie amazingly.
Jan 11, 2008 12:56 PM

Sep 2007
I must say I got a pang of jealousy at the end when Paprika said Atsuko was going to marry Tokita... I got to say that was one of my finer "WTF" moments. Hell! Just thinking about it pisses me off.
Jan 12, 2008 3:01 PM

Dec 2007
True love knows no bounds, or any size. Then again, she may have just thought he was a sexy robot :P

I don't have a good one because I don't photoshop :(
Jan 15, 2008 10:26 PM

Jan 2008
I just finished watching the movie; it was a lot longer than I thought it would be. I haven't seen a good movie in a while so this was nothing short of amaziinng. Loved the storyline, the elements and ideas expressed in the movie were interesting. The music in the movie is very hard to get out of my head; I might have to get the soundtrack/dvd.
ImikJan 15, 2008 10:32 PM
Feb 17, 2008 1:16 PM
Feb 2008
I was expecting a lot out of Paprika. The animation and soundtrack were excellent, but I feel that the plot faltered.

What was the point of this movie? What was resolved about dreams? What will happen with the DC mini?

While the plot of the movie can easily be laid out, the actions behind them don't align logically. All the ratings I have read have been extremely positive. The previous posters are in love with the movie too.

So what makes this movie a masterpiece? It seems the beautiful art style, music, and reputation of the director have people duped. I don't see how else a movie could get away with "love solves all" as an ending when the love is unfounded.
How deep, a pretty girl loving a big fat ass.

Really though, can anyone tell me why this story is so amazing? Maybe the dubbed version is just awful or I am an idiot for missing some major plot piece.

Feb 17, 2008 6:36 PM

Sep 2007
I loved this movie. Although a bit odd, eccentric, and I will admit lacking in the clarity of the plot or its' resolution, none-the-less the beautiful art, music, and style more than make up for it. This movie was fantastically designed and delivered to keep the viewer interested. I thouroughly enjoyed the experience and would recommend this movie to any of my friends wanting a unigue and wrtistic yet refreshing movie to enjoy. (^^)
Feb 18, 2008 5:20 PM

Oct 2007
this was SUCH a satoshi ken movie. and that is pretty much why i LOVED it. Its got the same psycoholigal aspect i loved paprika. i also loved how they kept going back to that one dream. it tied the whole "dream" stuff together quite nicely.

ugh. such a good movie =) <3 <3
Feb 21, 2008 4:37 PM
Feb 2008
This was just a bunch of cheap walk cycles!

Obviously plenty of people are content to watch something without depth, plot and character development....so long as it looks pretty. And hey! It makes you feel like an intellectual watching a movie about dreams and stuff.
FROGS!
Hehe, I am so random! :D

Mar 20, 2008 5:26 PM

Aug 2007
Once again Satoshi Kon delivers another slice of surreal anime that gets one thinking. While not as amazing as some of his other efforts (I do not think it surpasses the wonder that is Paranoia Agent or Millenium Actress) Paprika sure is gripping and confusing in that way that is so typical of Satoshi Kon. The visuals were mind blowing and that parade was one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen.
Mar 30, 2008 8:24 PM

Jan 2008
This movie opened me up to Satoshi a lot more. I was a total anime n00b when I watched Millenium Actress (I cried like a baby). I was confused when I watched Millenium Actress but it was great.
This movie was spectacular! I loved almost everything about it. I think I might watch the rest of his movies, I am not so sure about Perfect Blue though...-.-'
I think I will go buy this now :3
----
My signature sucks right now :C
Jul 11, 2008 8:43 PM

Jun 2008
i must say that i just loved how that at some parts of this movie i was just straight up oblivious to some of the things that were going on. it was great. and the music for when the parade was marching went perfect with everything. i LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!
Sep 5, 2008 7:01 AM
Sep 2008
Holy crap
Where do i start.

First of all stunning graphics and idea.
Didnt no wether it was a dream or reality
wich comes to my first point.

Looking past the eye candy though.

Soo many daymn political underlinings
Sorry to all, but i am still on in 10th grade and only see the fairly obvious.

Well, here i go

I love the way its constantly blurring the lines between reality and that essence of dreaming, and in the end merging the two together.
Is he trying to say that in the end we cannot truly bring both ideaoligies into a co-insididing harmony? With reality being those who strive for power, money and are all in all corrupt (eg. government) and those "dreamers" being those who still hold hope for the world, who see unrealistic ideals such as world peace, virtue, a world free of famine, discrimination etc. (i would say....greenies? Hippies? Beauty queens, joshing you, they all lie when they say world peace :P). And that if we do intend to force both ideals into one "big happy ball" will merely end in a corrupt world full of dellusional clones with no form identification taking on the role of society? with those greedy pigs trying to rule over it all, inevitably succumbing to the severe side effects of power. Corruption?

OK, i could go on for a while on that might stop....

ok next point.

Ok, that DAMN parade.

Ok remember the whole buisness men claiming to be 'chosen by god' and wat not trying to climb up the .... mountain like thing to become king of the world?
well yes, rekon thats blatantly critising the government, the system. hey lets go crazy and say THE WORLD! how all everyone wants its that extra 2 dollars on there weekly pay, that promotion that they'll do anythng for, that oh so precious seat in your bosses office. And how we dont care who we crush in the process, all we no is that, we want it, and we want it NOW. Funny how their all in buisness suits ay? first i thought, chyeah government sucks i agree with ya, fat, lazy, identical, corrupt bastards. but then i thought on a wider and broader scale...hey, arent we all? arent we all. And its quite embarassing and shamefull to admit so, but i'd be damned if i didnt admit the world was quite fucked up right now. And self acclamations of being truly chosen by the one the only...GOD. but that sort of slurs onto my next topic. So i will continue that next paragraph.

Still the parade here.

Ok, the part i can most relate to, might not write much about it, coz...well i cant think of all that much to be honest.
Mobile girls n guyz, you all no what i'm talking about ;)

ok.
mobile heads = show the heavy realiance...wait, too weak a work. more like ADDICTION to the now oh so convinient, internet. where we can be whoever we want to be, WHAT ever we want to be. Take risks to whatever the fuck we want. in the safety of our room. Hell, i'm doing it right now. Rekon i could say this to my friends? Hell no. Think theyd care? Dont think so. But thats beside the point. Point is, this new generation has been brought up with the forever evolving art called technology, its been 'programmed' into them. Pardon the pun, not sure if there was one. but hey, it sounded cool.
Ok nough bout that.

The religious bit in the parade.

Oh my, dont we all.
Questioning the truly tabboo subject out there frend. religion. what is religion? really? is it not a false image we have created for ourselves to reassure us that there is infact some greater being out there "watching over us". Creating this perfect existence for us to aspire and admire in place of a false idol we can never be, as we could never grasp those concepts of virture and peace? probably because we made the whole dan thing up ..and the whole soul thing is that not merely because we fear death in itself and need some sort of idea that we SHALL be immortal and never leave our precious lives? that our soul will live on forever? highly unlikely..but ay be true, hell, we shall never no, only until the inevitable arrives and we die. I still hold hope for the whole soul thing, coz yeah, i am scared about death, god damn its the scariest thing ever. enough about me.

ok now
i will say short bits buot everything else
the whole paprika at-chan or whatever thing. About the whole 'identity' concept.

a name is a identity but what is identity but opression of our soul and restricting our spirits, what is the perceptual mind but a way to end our existence that they deem worthless. are we nothing but robots to the t.v screen moulded by sound and images that are portrayed to us as meaningful instead of learning and expanding ourselves and finding true enlightenment

Ok
now onto the whole
Exploration of so called "time"

its pretty much endless, but on other hand it's a controlling method created by the "philosophers of ancient times" it's just a way to control peoples movements get work 9 finish at 5 get school at 8 finish at 4. our lunch time is designated to 1 hour they giving us free-time yet isnt all time free or are we paying for living. they let that shit slip then didnt they, it's all mind control brainwashing the zombies in this ratrace to make them be in so much of arush noone stops and listens to nature or sees reality, sees past what big brother and time allows us to see

That said, time is restriction in its most extreme form. time is scientific point of view, it's a way to explain what we do and what we see. it isnt really there though. there is no such thing as time no such thing as aging, only our physical form can age but our soul is ageless and timeless

Ok.
I will stop for now.
Coz my fingers hurt and i am bord of this.
But sorry bout the ast parts.
Sort of lost interest and they might not make sense as i didnt try as hard.
Well i'm off
xxxNight

Would love to hear anyone elses thoughts on the film, or responses to MY ideas.
Which ever you prefer.
Sep 23, 2008 3:12 PM
Mar 2008
Sound and Animation: 10/10
Story: 8/10
Characters: 7/10
Overall: 8/10
Oct 4, 2008 1:07 AM

Dec 2007
Man, what an awesome movie. Although I believe that Millenium Actress is his best film, Paprika is certainly Satoshi Kon's most creative. The film deals with a deep subject but manages to be easily accessible. The animation is in top form here as is the music which I know will stick in my mind for weeks. Many of the characters are all instantly likeable, especially Captain Konukawa and Paprika (who is set up brilliantly in one of the best opening credit sequences I've ever seen). It may not be as beautiful or enthralling as Millenium Actress, but it is without a doubt a must-see. This movie made my day. 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2008 7:05 AM
Oct 2008
That is strange movie. I like it but nothing else.
Dec 9, 2008 1:34 AM

Aug 2007
It was a fantastic movie but the nudity ruined it for me
Dec 12, 2008 7:50 PM

Oct 2008
I wish real parades were like the one in this movie. Good movie but the ending was meh. I thought the point of stating "light/dark, man/woman, etc" was so that the light woman would co-exist with the dark man somehow. Not devour it. I thought there would be balance. /shrug
Dec 14, 2008 9:27 AM

Feb 2008
Outstanding.
Jan 9, 2009 9:41 PM

Jun 2008
rakil said:
I was expecting a lot out of Paprika. The animation and soundtrack were excellent, but I feel that the plot faltered.

What was the point of this movie? What was resolved about dreams? What will happen with the DC mini?

While the plot of the movie can easily be laid out, the actions behind them don't align logically. All the ratings I have read have been extremely positive. The previous posters are in love with the movie too.

So what makes this movie a masterpiece? It seems the beautiful art style, music, and reputation of the director have people duped. I don't see how else a movie could get away with "love solves all" as an ending when the love is unfounded.
How deep, a pretty girl loving a big fat ass.

Really though, can anyone tell me why this story is so amazing? Maybe the dubbed version is just awful or I am an idiot for missing some major plot piece.

This.

Eye candy does not a movie make.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Apr 10, 2009 2:41 PM

Sep 2008
fricken amazing movie!
Art work is brilliant rivaling to Princess mononoke^_^
10/10 although the ending ruined it a fair bit, I don't think that should fault it.
The soundtrack makes up for it.
x

>Inviting people to Lockerz, Pm if you want in<
Apr 12, 2009 5:03 PM

Jun 2008
That was a cool film ^-^

I thought this film was very thought-provoking, and the ideas were communicated and expressed really well, but I was left hanging a bit at the end... I don't feel they bothered to tie it up entirely there.

The OST kicks ass too. :p
May 13, 2009 2:09 PM
Feb 2008
sakR9 said:
It was a fantastic movie but the nudity ruined it for me

I agree I thought it was completely unnecessary. I could understand if they were in some sort of erotic dream but it wasn't and as such it felt tacked on.

The plot was indeed fantastical but I mean you're dealing with a machine that goes into people's dreams and processes it as an image everyone else can watch. Allegedly such things are in the theoretical stage but I doubt we'll see anything of the sort in the next few 100 years.

I believe the point of the movie was that dreams provide people with a more honest look at themselves and situations. Hence the Detective's realization about his friend and movie aspirations and Dr. Chiba's emotional disconnect and her confession about the fat genius. As for the DC mini they said that all they needed to do was put in the limitators to prevent all that but the fat guy didn't for whatever reason and it was stolen. I'm assuming that they'll program the limiters and a situation like that won't happen again...until the DC Large :p
May 16, 2009 11:25 PM

May 2008
Wonderful movie. Story was well thought out, and its take on dreams was one I'd never thought of before. Excellent visuals complete this well rounded movie.

On a side-note: The current rating is slightly off. There is mild nudity towards the late-middle / end of the movie (is currently 17+ for violence and profanity only).
May 23, 2009 5:05 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
10/10

wonderful animation and i loved the music!! :)
p r o f i l e 👀
May 29, 2009 12:02 PM

Jul 2007
Strange little movie, but definietly worth a watch. Been wanting to watch this for a while now and pretty damn glad I did. Bonus points for the animation and soundtrack.

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» So, who killed the victim in that homicide case?

Samu-tan - Aug 27, 2010

9 by Beatnik »»
Jan 1, 9:00 AM

» For what reasons do you like this movie?

Unknow0059 - Apr 16, 2017

10 by nekogaro7 »»
Oct 17, 2023 7:29 AM

» What's the movie Konakawa watch at the end of the movie ?

Tsunamii_ - Jul 13, 2022

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:14 AM

» questions about paprika [spoilers]

darrenkbenn - Sep 14, 2021

3 by JeremiahOrange »»
Sep 14, 2021 11:19 PM

» What the hell did I just watch?

RandomPerson4 - Dec 30, 2012

25 by tabernac »»
Feb 28, 2021 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.