Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2009 11:46 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
There was no need to decapitate a small girl, that was totally unnecessary. Seriously. >_<
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 20, 2011 9:24 PM
Sep 2009
That scene was actually done very well. It was filmed just in the right angles that you didn't realise it was coming
May 10, 2012 8:12 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great ending to the Ideon series. Big ideas and huge influence on a lot of latter manga and anime.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2012 8:47 AM

Feb 2012
A grand ending indeed. Lots of ugly deaths, though. Well, they're all happy space ghosts now.
Feb 12, 2013 5:08 PM

Aug 2012
Beatnik said:
There was no need to decapitate a small girl, that was totally unnecessary. Seriously. >_<

Tomino "Kill 'em All" at his best.
Aug 19, 2013 9:44 AM

Oct 2007
2 words, Cantata Orbis
Sep 11, 2013 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
Well that was an extremely awesome movie. The deaths were certainly hitting me, but the decapitation certainly took the cake. I couldn't believe they took a little girl's head off.
Nov 27, 2014 1:53 PM

Apr 2013
Beatnik said:
Best scene. ^_^
May 5, 2015 5:57 AM

Jun 2012
This was really good. Tomino has a knack for making good endings. But really Messiah? They couldve picked a better name.
May 23, 2015 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
Well this reminded me very much of Evangelion. Maybe NGE was influenced from this?

anyway, the TV anime series' pace was so slow and draggy, but the last couple episodes (no 39) and this movie made up for it. This movie HAD CRAZY DEATHS. I mean, why did they have to decapitate Ashura, lol plain cruel. Will the cursing chain of Ide continue in the future? Ide indirectly made itself one of greatest villains lol
May 25, 2015 7:15 AM

Mar 2015
Klad said:
Well this reminded me very much of Evangelion. Maybe NGE was influenced from this?

Yes Anno took some/a lot of inspiration for NGE from Ideon.

Ah this was a good conclusion,the infamous cruelty huh?
I didn't like it all that much though as I couldn't really care for the characters but it had some really nice themes and treated them rather well.
I think for the time it was made in,not that I know anything about things like this,it was really good and I respect it for what it is.
Jun 21, 2015 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
Dang, man. That was a great ending. It even had the live action segments like EoE.
Was that planet Earth or a new planet? It's unclear what happens next. Will everyone be reborn or something? What will happen to messiah? Who knows.
Jan 17, 2016 3:11 PM

Jun 2012
This was one of the best anime conclusions I ever saw. I was... beautiful. It's not as sad as people say, since things ended up ok.

The deaths were well done and for me they didn't seem forced.

The movie managed to show that both sides had their reasons to fight and weren't bad. I think Tomino had a lot of freedom to make this movie.

A truly masterpiece.
Nov 7, 2016 11:18 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Beautiful end. With the series It seemed to be missing something, but in this film, i can enjoy with a autentic final, bloody, violent and plenty of caos and deaths, a final perfect for this series, because this series is Ideon, a series cruel drama where the characters are pieces of a big board and not Sailor Moon.

9/10.
Feb 5, 2017 6:10 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I don't know how they did it. I didn't care much for any of the characters and yet I got emotional at that ending. No but, to be fair I started to care a bit about the characters as the series went on... and by that I mean the very last like seven episodes?
Every time I saw the kids I'd get annoyed, but I liked Fard-- like probably my fave character out of everyone and it's like yo, there wasn't even much to like about Fard so I find that to be no good.
Anyway, made it through Seizure the Anime.
"Who's laughing? I'm alone! :U" Same.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 3, 2017 1:12 AM

Jan 2010
Thoughts during the film:

---

So, my experience prior to watching Space Runaway Ideon were:
1. It was directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino.
2. It had an extremely high body count.
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion had roots in this series.

I heard something about children getting killed off, but I hadn't seen any screenshots or clips of it, so I had no idea what to expect in that regard. As a result, this mostly blind viewing was quite...raw. I will give the show credit though, rather than showing death as honorable or glamorous, Ideon shows death as ugly, quick, and gives very little time to prepare. The deaths happened so fast that it was hard to react. I could only look on in horror as everyone were brutally killed. This wasn't fun, flashy or exciting, but had the show taken that direction, it would have been a disservice to the characters. Still, it seems so weird to seeing all these soldiers trying to hard to kill a bunch of kids. Realism in war and all that, I kind of get, but it really came down to a single ship full of civilians against all of humanity. It certainly makes the Ideon crew's desperation that much more tragic, but I just don't know.

The art and animation are superb, the music was downright orchestraic, everybody's character arcs were finished, and the show's conclusion ensures that it was the absolute final entry in the series. There are no more stories to tell from here. Space Runaway Ideon is a completed title. Any criticisms I have of the series really comes down to the character motivations and decisions, and any of those can be met with "well, what would you expect a real person to do?" With that, I'd be criticizing the characters as people, not puppets in a narrative. That's pretty damn cool. Truthfully, I didn't like the series due to how heavy it was, but I'd be damned if I didn't at least recognize how great this series works as a tragedy and a drama.
May 18, 2019 3:08 PM

May 2015
Wow, wow, wow... I'm glad I gave this series a chance, especially to see such a great movie. Tomino at his best for me, without hesitation.
Jan 10, 2020 12:21 PM

Oct 2008
I was really reluctant to watch this, especially because i had to suffer through the series first.
And well, the movie took almost everything that happened in the series, threw it in the trash, then killed every character. At least it didn't end up being another layzner with it's time skips.

If any future reader decides to give this a try, avoid the TV series completely. Just watch the other movie, then this one.
Mar 16, 2020 8:53 PM
Nov 2018
what an ending lol, i'm definitely invoked right now. this is gonna be one of the most memorable endings i have seen. all the carnage and death and everybody flying off with messiah, what a beautiful sight.

this makes slogging through the show worth it. happy fucking birthday everybody.
Mar 20, 2020 12:59 PM

Aug 2012
Definitely an influential series. But I'm not a big fan of it overall. I liked the story quite alot but the execution wasn't really that great imo.

Also yet another series where Tomino kills everyone, a trope he is most known for but one that makes all his shows really quite predictable and frustrating. I'm quite tired of it already and I've only seen 4 of his shows, of which 3 have this same trope.

Agree that the decapitation scene was abit much and notice how outside of all the soldier fodder that the Women and Children were all the first characters to die in this film. Pretty fucked up.

This film really doesn't add much at all, it just prolongs the original destination of the series, kills way more characters and then adds a tiny bit to the very end. The sea stuff at the end was a strange inclusion and certainly doesn't age well.

Overall Space Runaway Ideon is a very ambitious and influential series but it honestly isn't that great. A good template to work from and be inspired by but so far from how good it could of been. At the time of it's release it was totally revolutionary but it's been far surpassed in the many years since. And in my own worthless opinion hasn't aged that well.

I've gave the series a 6/10 and I think despite some impressive set piece in this film I will give it the same score as ultimately I didn't enjoy it much more.
Dec 26, 2020 3:40 AM

May 2017
Fantastic fucking movie, the show was mostly average to decent with 3-4 really good episodes but this movie took everything from the show and brought it to new heights deserving of its potential. It's undeniable where Anno's inspiration for EoE came from now, this movie is the building blocks he needed to come up with such an amazing movie of what I now consider two equals.

Amusingly I think both have the same issues for me, the original Evangelion anime and Ideon I liked but didn't love as much as I wanted to but the movies blew my previous impressions of the shows completely out of the water. Both flawed shows with clear dips in quality from time to time - Ideon being especially prevalent - With movie finales that absolutely perfected the source material into being memorable pieces of history. Just amazing.
Atelier_WeissDec 26, 2020 3:43 AM
Jan 31, 2021 1:47 AM

Oct 2010
I was a fool for expecting some grand plot from Ideon and resolving some of the mysteries like the Legend of Ide or why Buff Clan had an Earth like the humans' or the meteor strikes. In the end everyone died because of Ideon and I don't know what happened afterwards, stuff about reincarnation/new life etc.
At least they made peace in death, I wanted to see Kasha kissing Cosmo but it didn't happen on screen. The deaths were savage and I felt for them except for Harulu and Doba.
Great movie overall 8/10
Jun 5, 2021 3:50 PM
Mar 2021
The ending was tragic and beautiful all at the same time. I really enjoyed watching this series.
Aug 17, 2021 9:58 PM

Sep 2011
This movie might be the absolute best thing Tomino ever did. It was intense, shocking, heartwrenching, but also somehow optimistic. The characters of the show were rather hit or miss for me (bes and karala were great, cosmo and sheryl were a mixed bag, kasha sucked) but god damn if this movie didnt make me feel for all of them and actually feel sincerely attached. Like Cosmo and Kasha's little stay safe wish to eachother was legitimently heartwarming/heartwrenching knowing whats coming to them.

All in all phenomenal movie, just phenomenal. Really sad Tomino never really got to flex like this ever again.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 1, 2022 8:37 PM
Apr 2012
I finally get to see the True Ideon ending. I wonder if Tomino even knew that he was headed to this ending when he started the show, because if he did, he wasted a lot of episodes on repetitive battles and not fleshing out the mystery behind the Ide. I also think it's just kind of stupid that this infinite energy only cares about kids Lou and Messiah. What about Ashura and Fard? they were kids too?

Actually a lot of kids died while the Ide played out it's master plan of forcing two races to fight each other because fuck adults I guess. Why does your will to survive become invalid once you become an adult? I wonder if either of Tomino's daughters were born around the time this series was created? I liked the people getting back together at the end-I'm a sucker for happy afterlife endings. But did they all just go to a new planet? Are the souls of those two races going to evolve into humans and then just start all over again? I would have liked it if they were allowed to live happily on a higher plane of existence instead, where the ugliness of mortal survival wouldn't be there to drive them to becoming the same desperate and violent life forms that they were before.

edit: I guess it wasn't just earthlings and buff clan that were wiped out but all life in the universe?
KONRADDFeb 1, 2022 8:40 PM
Mar 26, 2022 3:24 AM

Dec 2015
July 26, 2017

Well, what can I say? This escalated pretty quickly, way more than the TV last episodes.
Tomino gets comfortable cinema means to render great action scenes, loses TV restriction in order to go insane with anything he wants (not only violence but "philosophy"/spirit stuff too), and does whatever he wants with nobody else on board to command. Wich is both beneficial and detrimental to the result, as always with Tomino Yoshiyuki, great concept creator, good director and poor storyteller.

While the series audience will get an actual denouement with this theatrical release, "Hatsudô-hen" will in no way fix or fully complete the TV show, instead going on doing its own thing, more or less in connection with prior elements.
People will be more or less forgiving thanks to the frenetic pace, pretty animation, neat scenic ideas etc that makes a rather good cinema experience.

Score: 7/10 itself, 6 as the series finale.
Enjoyment: 4/5
Too bad the movie requires the original show's viewing, and not the terrible compilation released simultaneously with it.

Despite Ideon's globally lacking craft, it's a shame it is only discussed nowadays in relationship to Evangelion.
Apr 24, 2022 3:22 AM
Sep 2017
Bro, this movie got me on my edge of my seat.

Tomino did a great job.

The ending was well-executed too.

10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2023 9:03 AM

Feb 2016
This movie may be an improvement over the series, but I'm still not impressed. At least it's better than End of Evangelion.
その目だれの目?
Aug 21, 2023 6:58 PM

Sep 2020
EPIC

From the opening scene alone of Kitty's new demise you knew things were gonna get rough, and "rough" is certainly an understatement. The whole thing was a blast and all I could've hoped for, not only as a conclusion for the show, but as a singular piece of animation.

In addition to the kick-ass action, they really ramped up the drama and heartwrench, such as Cosmo & Kasha going for that kiss but being blocked by the helmets. Such a sweet moment shadowed by the knowledge that that was, more than likely, the last time they'd see each other. And Sheryl snapping with Lou (was she trying to poison him with the food?). Then there was Harulu's breakdown to her father after having killed Karala for "honor." They really brought out the characters in this!

And I had seen that gif of Ashura getting blown away without context on Reddit years ago, but it really hit differently seeing it for myself. Speaking of which, this has to be some kind of record for main character deaths by face/head shot.

Amazing film, and many thanks to all who made it possible after cancelling the tv series!

10 "see y'all in the stars" /10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz

More topics from this board

» Why do people say this was a BAD END Tomino show?

Bigred2989 - Apr 17, 2009

10 by JizzyHitler »»
Aug 19, 2021 10:03 AM

» Do i ahve to watch the TV series?

argonseal - Dec 7, 2012

3 by Sol_Ou »»
May 5, 2015 6:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.