Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: The Ideon: Be Invoked Episode 1 Discussion

Sep 13, 2009 11:46 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
There was no need to decapitate a small girl, that was totally unnecessary. Seriously. >_<
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Aug 20, 2011 9:24 PM
That scene was actually done very well. It was filmed just in the right angles that you didn't realise it was coming

May 10, 2012 8:12 AM
Hitagi's Pet

Great ending to the Ideon series. Big ideas and huge influence on a lot of latter manga and anime.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2012 8:47 AM

A grand ending indeed. Lots of ugly deaths, though. Well, they're all happy space ghosts now.

Feb 12, 2013 5:08 PM

Beatnik said:
There was no need to decapitate a small girl, that was totally unnecessary. Seriously. >_<

Tomino "Kill 'em All" at his best.

Aug 19, 2013 9:44 AM

2 words, Cantata Orbis

Sep 11, 2013 3:10 PM

Well that was an extremely awesome movie. The deaths were certainly hitting me, but the decapitation certainly took the cake. I couldn't believe they took a little girl's head off.

Nov 27, 2014 1:53 PM

Beatnik said:
Best scene. ^_^

May 5, 2015 5:57 AM

This was really good. Tomino has a knack for making good endings. But really Messiah? They couldve picked a better name.

May 23, 2015 1:05 PM

Well this reminded me very much of Evangelion. Maybe NGE was influenced from this?

anyway, the TV anime series' pace was so slow and draggy, but the last couple episodes (no 39) and this movie made up for it. This movie HAD CRAZY DEATHS. I mean, why did they have to decapitate Ashura, lol plain cruel. Will the cursing chain of Ide continue in the future? Ide indirectly made itself one of greatest villains lol

May 25, 2015 7:15 AM

Klad said:
Well this reminded me very much of Evangelion. Maybe NGE was influenced from this?

Yes Anno took some/a lot of inspiration for NGE from Ideon.

Ah this was a good conclusion,the infamous cruelty huh?
I didn't like it all that much though as I couldn't really care for the characters but it had some really nice themes and treated them rather well.
I think for the time it was made in,not that I know anything about things like this,it was really good and I respect it for what it is.

Jun 21, 2015 4:41 PM

Dang, man. That was a great ending. It even had the live action segments like EoE.
Was that planet Earth or a new planet? It's unclear what happens next. Will everyone be reborn or something? What will happen to messiah? Who knows.

Jan 17, 2016 3:11 PM

This was one of the best anime conclusions I ever saw. I was... beautiful. It's not as sad as people say, since things ended up ok.

The deaths were well done and for me they didn't seem forced.

The movie managed to show that both sides had their reasons to fight and weren't bad. I think Tomino had a lot of freedom to make this movie.

A truly masterpiece.

Nov 7, 2016 11:18 AM

Beautiful end. With the series It seemed to be missing something, but in this film, i can enjoy with a autentic final, bloody, violent and plenty of caos and deaths, a final perfect for this series, because this series is Ideon, a series cruel drama where the characters are pieces of a big board and not Sailor Moon.

9/10.

Hello, my litte boy!

Nov 21, 2016 4:44 AM

For the fodder Buff Clan are in the series, the focus on the Ajiba family in Be Invoked really elevated them into characters I cared about as much as the Solo Ship. Especially Harulu unfolded more tragic than she seemed in the series (also, her cheekbones are superb), I can recognize a father disappointed in who her daughter is sleeping with (lol), and Doba got a notable scene of spelling out the deal with Ide as well. It's right after the series that the movie slightly feels like treading the theme for the hundreth time, but it's a minor gripe. To me many characters got their highlights in this movie, from Doba to Kasha, even extras like the Buff soliders that just wanted to live and got their revenge for a few seconds before getting sucked into space were memorable.
The animation was so crisp! Kogawa animation gives time to marvel at the key frames.
Modified by eevalee, Sep 3, 2018 10:44 AM

Feb 5, 2017 6:10 PM

I don't know how they did it. I didn't care much for any of the characters and yet I got emotional at that ending. No but, to be fair I started to care a bit about the characters as the series went on... and by that I mean the very last like seven episodes?
Every time I saw the kids I'd get annoyed, but I liked Fard-- like probably my fave character out of everyone and it's like yo, there wasn't even much to like about Fard so I find that to be no good.
Anyway, made it through Seizure the Anime.
"Who's laughing? I'm alone! :U" Same.

Jul 3, 2017 1:12 AM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

Thoughts during the film:

---

So, my experience prior to watching Space Runaway Ideon were:
1. It was directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino.
2. It had an extremely high body count.
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion had roots in this series.

I heard something about children getting killed off, but I hadn't seen any screenshots or clips of it, so I had no idea what to expect in that regard. As a result, this mostly blind viewing was quite...raw. I will give the show credit though, rather than showing death as honorable or glamorous, Ideon shows death as ugly, quick, and gives very little time to prepare. The deaths happened so fast that it was hard to react. I could only look on in horror as everyone were brutally killed. This wasn't fun, flashy or exciting, but had the show taken that direction, it would have been a disservice to the characters. Still, it seems so weird to seeing all these soldiers trying to hard to kill a bunch of kids. Realism in war and all that, I kind of get, but it really came down to a single ship full of civilians against all of humanity. It certainly makes the Ideon crew's desperation that much more tragic, but I just don't know.

The art and animation are superb, the music was downright orchestraic, everybody's character arcs were finished, and the show's conclusion ensures that it was the absolute final entry in the series. There are no more stories to tell from here. Space Runaway Ideon is a completed title. Any criticisms I have of the series really comes down to the character motivations and decisions, and any of those can be met with "well, what would you expect a real person to do?" With that, I'd be criticizing the characters as people, not puppets in a narrative. That's pretty damn cool. Truthfully, I didn't like the series due to how heavy it was, but I'd be damned if I didn't at least recognize how great this series works as a tragedy and a drama.

May 18, 3:08 PM

Wow, wow, wow... I'm glad I gave this series a chance, especially to see such a great movie. Tomino at his best for me, without hesitation.