Forum Settings
Forums

'Magi: Sinbad no Bouken' Third Volume to Include OVA Adaptation [Update: 1/17]

New
Jan 12, 2014 2:31 AM

Feb 2012
It has been announced that the manga Magi: Sinbad no Bouken, a spin-off series based off the original manga series Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, will be receiving an OVA adaptation.

The OVA will be bundled with the spin-off's third volume which will be released on May 16, 2014. More information regarding the OVA will be revealed in the manga's second volume.

Magi: Sinbad no Bouken tells the story of Sinbad's early life.

Cast
Young Sinbad: Daisuke Ono

CM: YouTube

Anime Key Visual: Natalie

Source: Ura Sunday website banner, Magi Anime Site

Magi: Sinbad no Bouken on MAL

Update January 17
Staff and cast members have been announced on the official anime site.

Staff
Director: Yoshikazu Miyao
Script: Suguru Kishimono
Character Design: Souichirou Sako
Music: Tomohiro Ookubo
Studio: Lay-duce
Production: AOS PROJECT

Cast
Sinbad: Daisuke Ono
Drakon: Tomokazu Sugita
Yunan: Akira Ishida
Serendine: Ai Kayano
Badr: Katsuyuki Konishi
Esra: Yoko Hikasa

Discussion continues from here.
myanimelistllcMay 11, 2016 5:50 PM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 12, 2014 2:37 AM
Oct 2011
I wonder what plans they have for butchering it and ruining the hell out of it like they did with the anime series.

Well for an OVA, the best thing they can do is animate the prototype, the first dungeon namely, and forget the events before it and after it. However, since it'll probably be A-1, they'll probably adapt Sin's family, the first dungeon, and the recent chapters as well in one 30-minute OVA. How can they ruin it otherwise?
Candor123Jan 12, 2014 2:41 AM
Jan 12, 2014 2:41 AM

Feb 2012
Candor said:
I wonder what plans they have for butchering it and ruining the hell out of it like they did with the anime series.

I actually heard the second season of Magi is doing a good job being faithful to the manga. The ending of the first season was probably the animation studio not knowing if they were going to continue the anime series or not.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Jan 12, 2014 2:41 AM

Sep 2013
Candor said:

So consistent.
Jan 12, 2014 2:44 AM
Oct 2011
Wind_Sr said:
Candor said:

I actually heard the second season of Magi is doing a good job being faithful to the manga. The ending of the first season was probably the animation studio not knowing if they were going to continue the anime series or not.
The problem wasn't only the ending of the first season, that's one of the problems I skipped in my dissection of the first season:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=692441&#post20

And faithful to the manga in the 2nd season? I wonder who said that, but I'd hardly say making Aladdin a little cute damsel in distress in the pirates' arc when he's a freaking Magi being faithful to the manga. (that's where I dropped it, since I didn't want the war to be ruined as badly as Balbadd was ruined)
Jan 12, 2014 2:44 AM

Dec 2007
Yay looking forward!

And yes as someone who is watching the anime and reading the manga, the 2nd season is pretty much loyal.

Candor said:
Wind_Sr said:
Candor said:

The problem wasn't only the ending of the first season, that's one of the problems I skipped in my dissection of the first season:

And faithful to the manga in the 2nd season? I wonder who said that, but I'd hardly say making Aladdin a little cute damsel in distress in the pirates' arc when he's a freaking Magi being faithful to the manga. (that's where I dropped it, since I didn't want the war to be ruined as badly as Balbadd was ruined)

That's really just nitpicking he's been pretty much awesome

Moderator Edit
Please do not double post
Suzune-chanJan 12, 2014 1:07 PM
Jan 12, 2014 2:49 AM
May 2007
I like and young Sinbad is Daisuke Ono.
Jan 12, 2014 2:57 AM
Feb 2012
Candor said:
Wind_Sr said:
Candor said:

Now, now. No need to be overly butthurt. I'm an even bigger fan of the manga than you, and even I am not *that* thrown off by that change you mentioned. There were little filler instances here and there, but nothing was as grave as the ones in season one. In other words, the second season is doing a decent job so far in adapting the manga.

Like I mentioned in the club, I'm really glad about this news. Every little bit of recognition Magi gets makes me happy.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 12, 2014 3:02 AM

Sep 2012
Candor said:
Wind_Sr said:
Candor said:

And faithful to the manga in the 2nd season? I wonder who said that, but I'd hardly say making Aladdin a little cute damsel in distress in the pirates' arc when he's a freaking Magi being faithful to the manga.

The director actually didn't pull any bullshit of that scale after that one scene though. I'd say A-1 has been rather faithful to everything after the pirate arc.

But, knowing you, you'll find something to say about it anyways.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Jan 12, 2014 3:04 AM
Oct 2011
mistress_kisara said:
Candor said:
Wind_Sr said:
Candor said:

C'mon, nitpicking? Aladdin is just a crappy one-dimensional character who does shit in the anime, and you call that nitpicking? He started as a cute little thing who likes fondling breasts, and continued in the first dungeon as a poor little sleeping beauty, then out of a sudden he pulled magic out of his ass and started saying for people to calm their balls in the Kouga arc using his nice speech about friendship and shit. (Aladdin beat the shit out of the Kou general in the manga btw, he didn't asspull fire attacks) And then he is a magi, which means he's a powerful cute little thing who does everything. Then his first friend leaves him and he remains as an emotionless cute little thing. And now in the 2nd season he plays a damsel in distress.

I sure am nitpicking a lot. Maybe I just miss the badass Aladdin which I saw nothing of in the anime. The badass little Aladdin who beats the crap out of people without thinking twice. The Aladdin which thinks of friendship as a sacred thing and whoever tries to ruin it, is in a bad trouble. Maybe I just wanted to see this as a redemption for killing his character, and see Alibaba doing shit in that arc, not Mor always being the savior of the day..
IronLobster said:

The director actually didn't pull any bullshit of that scale after that one scene though. I'd say A-1 has been rather faithful to everything after the pirate arc.
Good to hear that, but I don't think I'll risk it. The anime already has a bad base of events, and working on such a bad base isn't a clever think, and I doubt I'd enjoy it. Have fun watching the rest of the show, and the OVA.
Candor123Jan 12, 2014 3:17 AM
Jan 12, 2014 3:15 AM

Nov 2007
I was really shocked to see the CM when watching today's Magi ep.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 12, 2014 3:19 AM

Sep 2012
Candor said:
mistress_kisara said:
Candor said:
Wind_Sr said:
Candor said:

C'mon, nitpicking? Aladdin is just a crappy one-dimensional character who does shit in the anime, and you call that nitpicking? He started as a cute little thing who likes fondling breasts, and continued in the first dungeon as a poor little sleeping beauty, then out of a sudden he pulled magic out of his ass and started saying for people to calm their balls in the Kouga arc using his nice speech about friendship and shit. (Aladdin beat the shit out of the Kou general in the manga btw, he didn't asspull fire attacks) And then he is a magi, which means he's a powerful cute little thing who does everything. Then his first friend leaves him and he remains as an emotionless cute little thing. And now in the 2nd season he plays a damsel in distress.

I sure am nitpicking a lot. Maybe I just miss the badass Aladdin which I saw nothing of in the anime. The badass little Aladdin who beats the crap out of people without thinking twice. The Aladdin which thinks of friendship as a sacred thing and whoever tries to ruin it, is in a bad trouble.
IronLobster said:

Good to hear that, but I don't think I'll risk it. The anime already has a bad base of events, and working on such a bad base isn't a clever think, and I doubt I'd enjoy it. Have fun watching the rest of the show, and the OVA.

Ok, then don't watch it if you don't want to. Wait till the end of the season; if I think it will give you aneurysm, then I won't ask you to risk it. If I think you can stomach it, then I suggest you pick it up again and see.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Jan 12, 2014 6:31 AM

May 2010
I'd love to see young Ja'far... Well, I'll watch it anyway, I quite enjoy Magi.
Jan 12, 2014 7:57 AM

Apr 2010
I hope this will turn out good...manga is nice, but hopefully they won't do same thig as with the season one of Magi anime...
Jan 12, 2014 8:44 AM

May 2008
will watch this for sure!!
Jan 12, 2014 8:46 AM

Dec 2010
so much butthurt in this thread

I'm looking forward to the OVA
Jan 12, 2014 8:50 AM

Nov 2012
Haven't yet read Sinbad's story though, but hearing that this has an OVA in the works, maybe I should really pick it up sooner than later.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Jan 12, 2014 9:08 AM
Oct 2013
All right....i think that i must read this spin-off before this OVA... e.e
Jan 12, 2014 9:30 AM

Jan 2011
Young Ja'far <3

Has Masrur appeared in the manga yet?
[center]
Jan 12, 2014 9:39 AM
Aug 2011
young Sinbad :3
Jan 12, 2014 9:43 AM

Apr 2010
VioLink said:
Young Ja'far <3

Not yet, unless I'm blind XD
Jan 12, 2014 9:55 AM

Jan 2011
SorrowEnd said:
VioLink said:
Young Ja'far <3

Not yet, unless I'm blind XD

Damn, yeah I think he meets him when is older.
[center]
Jan 12, 2014 10:55 AM

Jun 2011
Oh Candor, same old Candor. Disliked the anime? Read the manga. Disliked the manga and the way it's developing? Continue reading on for the sake of bashing it under the facade of "hoping it will get better later on".

On topic, great news, but only one OVA episode, huh.. I was hoping that this spin off could also get it's own anime adaption.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 12, 2014 11:12 AM

Aug 2011
Yessss, little Ja'far! I'm so excited. The second season has been doing relatively better than the first, I hope it stays that way.

I was kind of hoping that it'd get it's own TV anime adaptation but I don't think there's enough material for that.
Jan 12, 2014 12:52 PM

Feb 2012
Well yeah, it was only a matter of time.

Looking forward to this.
Jan 12, 2014 2:02 PM

Apr 2013
Candor said:
I always laugh at people like yourself, they butchered a small part of season 1, season 2 is perfectly adapted so far.
Jan 12, 2014 2:03 PM

May 2013
I wonder if Magi is more butchered than SAO sometimes... Well gotta read manga to find out.
Jan 12, 2014 2:36 PM

May 2008
HECK YEAH SINBAD

Jan 12, 2014 2:57 PM

Nov 2011
Sinbadass gets his own animation? Excellent. I read the manga too and is excited to see this!
Jan 12, 2014 4:13 PM

Aug 2009
Well that's nice and all but... it's way too early. The manga only has like 17 chapters right now. If it's going to be an OVA then they might mean an adaption of the manga prototype (?). I think they should have waited some time and then adapt the whole story.

And Ono Daisuke as 14-year-old Sinbad... might sound a little weird :)
mikadocsJan 13, 2014 3:09 AM
Jan 12, 2014 4:19 PM

Oct 2012
I'm not going to have high expectations for this if the entire manga thus far is being condensed into thirty minutes but it will be nice to see young Sinbad animated.
"Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to my Madoka anime. Pink lesbian saved time lesbian and now they're about to fight Walmart"
Jan 12, 2014 5:13 PM

May 2011
Candor said:

You know, I had a lot of hope for this anime up until that particular arc. It really felt like it had a lot going for it, but Balbadd wasn't nearly as good as I hoped it would be. I had friends hyping the hell out of that arc, but I couldn't consider it anything more than mediocre. The episodes proceeding that arc were horrible too. I really held Alibaba in high regard too, so seeing butcheries of his character like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Glad I decided to pass up on the sequel. I don't want my experience with the manga to be tarnished any further than it already has when I do get around to starting it.
Jan 12, 2014 5:58 PM

Dec 2007
mikado34 said:
Well that's nice and all but... it's way too early. The manga only has like 17 chapters right now. If it's going to be an OVA then they might mean an adaption of the manga prototype (?). I think they should have waited some time and then adapt the whole story.

And Ono Daisuke as 14-year-old Sinbad... might sound a little weird :)
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=727467&show=20#AxvMWzMXHUeJsAEV.99

Yes just like the title of the article says its an OVA
Jan 12, 2014 7:34 PM

Nov 2012
Sourire said:
Candor said:
I always laugh at people like yourself, they butchered a small part of season 1, season 2 is perfectly adapted so far.
You and I might have watched a different show since first season was not only heavily butchered, but also changed some things.
I don't know maybe 100+ chapters(maybe even more) in 25 eps isn't really a lot.
Jan 12, 2014 8:07 PM

Jul 2013
kenshin_sama said:
Candor said:

You know, I had a lot of hope for this anime up until that particular arc. It really felt like it had a lot going for it, but Balbadd wasn't nearly as good as I hoped it would be. I had friends hyping the hell out of that arc, but I couldn't consider it anything more than mediocre. The episodes proceeding that arc were horrible too. I really held Alibaba in high regard too, so seeing butcheries of his character like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Glad I decided to pass up on the sequel. I don't want my experience with the manga to be tarnished any further than it already has when I do get around to starting it.
It's really a shame that people are basing their judgement of season 2 on what they had seen in season 1. Season 2 has been incredible so far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2014 9:17 PM

Apr 2013
Minagatachi said:
kenshin_sama said:
Candor said:

It's really a shame that people are basing their judgement of season 2 on what they had seen in season 1. Season 2 has been incredible so far.
^
Jan 12, 2014 11:36 PM

Dec 2007
I have a question, is the second season of Magi actually connects somehow to the ending of season 1, which was anime original, or it just passes it up?

Season one had so many faults because A-1 didn't handle it properly, and the ending was terrible for me. I'm well aware season 2 is considered much better, but still, I'm scared they'll ruin the season again with a terrible AO ending. I really wonder if season 2 will have an anime original ending aswell... That's why I didn't pick it up. Those who watch the anime, is the second season going on a direction that is at least faithful to the manga so far, and if so, does it show signs of staying that way?
Jan 13, 2014 3:31 AM

Dec 2010
@ deadIEnd

its a valid question that you have asked , if you care to see the labyrinth of magic (season 1) threads you will find those long discussions .and yeah it strays from main canon big time . i wont bring them here coz its sinbad thread and its been discussed already many times.

@ others for those who find it relevant

so most of the people say those were small changes , mixing canon with filler had zero impact . all the characters play out perfectly . ok . so basically you are happy with season 2 . i cant be . coz its the continuation of a faulty product .

after butchering 120 chapters in 25 episodes you should never have the courage to rampage with season 2 just because a damn good arc is finished recently . and lets milk money next from it . season 2 is doing good because its a good arc . i still expect them to make a filler from it . if you plan to stay true to the canon in s2 then why planned to rush s1 ? coz they didn't have any plan to begin with ...they were totally uncertain about this adaptation . but they didn't hesitate to pick it for s2 even after straying far away from the main plot point ... ( why ?? coz magnosthtd is a great arc and its nearly finished ...lets milk it) it will go on like this unless i stop . but hey !! 17 chapters out and lets make a sinbad ova now .. with what ? the prototype off course .. which is pretty much the vol 1 of sinbad . so when the anime comes out ?? add more filler !!

only one example ... i still dont know how they can consider the ending of ep 24 part of canon where al thamen stood up to congratulate alibaba as their SAVIOR dark king !!!! well ... i practically laugh out loud each time now when i think of how they will connect it with s2 ending ... and probably they wont or add some filler again to make it relevant with s1 ending if they got balls .

so yeah ... am not happy how much good they make the s2 coz the potential to make it big is already destroyed not to mention there is a word called perfectionism and staying honest to the source material. and i can show you how big of an potential the magi anime had !! its in top 4 bestselling manga now..almost big 3 level ..and for me its in my big three (op,HxH,magi) .
so do you consider this brilliant adaptation at the same level to the top 3 anime ?even top 13 ?? 23 ??? should i go on ??

so extremely sorry if i cant be happy with season 2 like the rest of you . i dont plan to ruin your enjoyment either . everyone has rights to enjoy themselves .it pains me to see that you dont find these small mistakes , change of tone , change of story , change of characters relevant and big NO NO for s2 and take s2 and forget s1 . fine... magi will go down like blue exorcist , black butler etc etc etc A1 products . enjoy the ride while it lasts . anime almost caught up to the manga . everyone will forget this adaptation once its over and with a bad impression of balbadd arc , damaged zagan arc etc etc .

am sorry if i cant be happy with season 2 even if they make it a masterpiece .
headless_nickJan 13, 2014 3:50 AM
Jan 13, 2014 4:23 AM

Dec 2013
Woah really? My birthday? What coincidence x3
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Jan 13, 2014 5:50 AM
May 2012
Cool, will watch the Magi series soon.
Jan 13, 2014 5:54 AM

Sep 2007
Sorry but no.
With only three volumes, that will be awful.
Sadly, it's a good manga and a good serie ... but no.
Jan 13, 2014 6:27 AM

Nov 2008
nice we will see some of sinbad 's past.
Jan 13, 2014 7:49 AM

Apr 2013
ShiroiRyu said:
Sorry but no.
With only three volumes, that will be awful.
Sadly, it's a good manga and a good serie ... but no.
O V A
Jan 13, 2014 8:42 AM

Feb 2012
Looking forward to this! :)
Jan 14, 2014 4:01 AM

Nov 2007
Anime Key Visual: http://natalie.mu/media/comic/1401/extra/news_large_magi_sin.jpg
Jan 17, 2014 1:21 AM
Feb 2012
That's some pretty nice cast they got there. Surprisingly good for an OVA only.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 17, 2014 6:16 AM

Nov 2007
News Update
Staff and cast members have been announced on the official anime site.

Staff
Director: Yoshikazu Miyao
Script: Suguru Kishimono
Character Design: Souichirou Sako
Music: Tomohiro Ookubo
Studio: Lay-duce
Production: AOS PROJECT

Cast
Sinbad: Daisuke Ono
Drakon: Tomokazu Sugita
Yunan: Akira Ishida
Serendine: Ai Kayano
Badr: Katsuyuki Konishi
Esra: Yoko Hikasa
NaruleachMar 23, 2014 6:59 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
19 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
35 minutes ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
Yesterday, 8:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.