Forum Settings
Forums

Does watching anime make you more intelligent or be more insightful?

New
Dec 13, 2012 3:08 PM

Aug 2012
Well...What do you guys think? I am quite curios because i just noticed lately that ever since i started watching anime i have become more critical in my thinking and more knowledgeable about different references and views. I even started applying themes i got from anime to my life (mostly my English class cause a lot of the themes can be applied to the different works that we go over. I can tell its working cause i'm getting high grades on all my essays). Soo, am i going crazy from watching too much anime or anyone else think the same?

Mod Edit: Thread Cleaned. Please refrain from single phrase responses (e.g., "Yes (or no) it does (or not) make you intelligent."), spam or spam-like responses, side conversations, or violations of the Site & Forum Guidelines and the Board-Specific Rules or else the thread will be locked.
shawnofthedeadzDec 15, 2015 4:57 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 13, 2012 3:11 PM

Sep 2011
My IQ has dropped quite significantly from watching anime and i have a hard time believing anyone else's hasnt especially after having the "privilege" to debate with some of the people here

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 13, 2012 3:12 PM

Aug 2012
Ehh i guess i should change what im saying a bit... Watching some animes can be like reading a novel (well the sophisticated ones anyways. Don't get crap from ecchi/harems except the occasional boner) and it requires you to think a lot sometimes to get an insightful message about life. Or once again i am going crazy >.>
Dec 13, 2012 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
^
I don't feel smarter after reading a novel, even the classics.
Dec 13, 2012 3:13 PM

Jun 2012
My IQ has halved since I started watching Anime.

The_Pro_At_Stuff said:
Soo, am i going crazy from watching too much anime or anyone else think the same?
Too much Anime...?

The_Pro_At_Stuff said:
animes

Oh yeah and... Anime is it's own plural.
Dec 13, 2012 3:18 PM

Apr 2012
Yeah I have to agree with Neane1993.

Watching anime doesn't really make you more intelligent ... and probably doesn't make you insightful.

English is kind of different cause you have to use your imagination, and if anime makes you think about stuff then yeah you will see some changes in your work (whether those changes affect your mark is up to the CHANGE), but reading or watching any other tv show could give you the same affect.

Maybe you are getting more into your work, and trying to do better. Or maybe the work is just easier.
Dec 13, 2012 3:18 PM

Jun 2009
Well, if you feel you learn things by watching anime more power to you. Don't let a bunch of people you don't even know on a forum talk you down.

As for me? I don't know. Never thought about it that much. But, I think we, as humans, naturally learn from everything we experience.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
shawnofthedeadzDec 15, 2015 4:26 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 13, 2012 3:20 PM
Apr 2009
Neane1993 said:
^
I seriously hope people don't watch/read anything meant to be entertainment and see it as trying to be smarter.
Dec 13, 2012 3:23 PM
Apr 2009
Do you enjoy it?

If so, there is your reason. You don't need a deep meaning reason for something meant to be entertainment.

shawnofthedeadzDec 15, 2015 4:27 PM
Dec 13, 2012 3:23 PM

Aug 2012
The_Butcher said:
Neane1993 said:
^
I seriously hope people don't watch/read anything meant to be entertainment and see it as trying to be smarter.

I'm realizing smarter is too strong a word for this. I'd like to say more insightful about life...in a way?
Dec 13, 2012 3:25 PM

Sep 2011
The_Butcher said:
Neane1993 said:
^
Oh god it reminds me of the people that try to claim inception made them smarter back when it came out.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 13, 2012 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
I don't exactly feel full of knowledge and stuff when I finish some sort of literature or fiction, regardless of the contents. Impressed and fascinated - sure, but results of self-development aren't something you notice right off the bat, it's more like a life-time experience that clings to you and educates you on its known, revealing your 'self' in an accumulated totality of knowledge that adds up step by step, every single day and manifests into a reflection of your actions, thoughts, principles, etc etc

shawnofthedeadzDec 15, 2015 4:28 PM
Dec 13, 2012 3:30 PM

Aug 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
The_Butcher said:
Neane1993 said:
^
Oh god it reminds me of the people that try to claim inception made them smarter back when it came out.

OK to clarify i never specifically said that i BELIEVE anime makes me smarter. It was just one of my random assumptions that i often have. It might just be a growth spurt (for my brain) and i'm doing better in some subject. I am just curious if anyone ever thought that because the idea crossed my mind a few times.
Dec 13, 2012 3:35 PM

Nov 2010
Well from watching anime I can understand some Japanese, learned about Japanese culture, and my grades went up after starting to watch it(I felt like it was easier to remember things), and it gave me something to do and look forward to. There are some studies about learning a new language helping with your memory and delaying alzheimers and stuff like that.

Insightful, I guess so. I can't deny that some anime's themes has made me think differently about my life, life in general, religion, justice, stuff like that.
Dec 13, 2012 3:50 PM

Nov 2012
Neane1993 said:

I don't exactly feel full of knowledge and stuff when I finish some sort of literature or fiction, regardless of the contents. Impressed and fascinated - sure, but results of self-development aren't something you notice right off the bat, it's more like a life-time experience that clings to you and educates you on its known, revealing your 'self' in an accumulated totality of knowledge that adds up step by step, every single day and manifests into a reflection of your actions, thoughts, principles, etc etc

Agreed. It's actually very hard to go through a day without learning a single thing

shawnofthedeadzDec 15, 2015 4:29 PM
Dec 13, 2012 4:29 PM

Jan 2012
It has no effect.
...unless you think that knowing pointless things about Japanese culture makes you more insightful.
Dec 13, 2012 4:34 PM

Nov 2011
Well, anime got me interested in (riichi) mahjong, but its not like mahjong makes you more intelligent.

So I really doubt it does.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Dec 13, 2012 5:03 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
good post OP, i agree it does give more insight to life. Some anime are very influential like Clannad and Clannad After Story (Excellent, Must Watch anime), I believe every children (if not person) should watch it! It is so meaningful, provides great view to life (ex. school boy life maturing to adult with responsibilities) within a beautiful, emotional, moving story and drama.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 13, 2012 6:10 PM
Nov 2012
I don't watch anime to learn things. However, I probably learned something from watching all my anime. I don't know if it is useful information but I did learn something. For example I can say short phrases in Japanese because of all the anime I watch. Is that helpful to me? No, but it is still something I learned.
Dec 13, 2012 6:17 PM

Apr 2012
Probably not. You can learn a lot from anime though, so long as you take an active approach. For example, you could try analyzing every series you watch in what it does well, what it does poorly, how it can improve, etc.

But more often than not, one watches anime for the enjoyment it brings, not because it will provide them with a life full of wisdom.
Dec 13, 2012 7:15 PM
Apr 2009
animefan3 said:
good post OP, i agree it does give more insight to life. Some anime are very influential like Clannad and Clannad After Story (Excellent, Must Watch anime), I believe every children (if not person) should watch it! It is so meaningful, provides great view to life (ex. school boy life maturing to adult with responsibilities) within a beautiful, emotional, moving story and drama.
A lot of anime I rather NOT learn from.

Sure, Guts and Gintoki are good guys, but I wouldn't want to learn anything from them. Same goes for most other characters I like.
Dec 13, 2012 7:31 PM

Oct 2012
No, if anything it makes you dumber. Getting insight from anime is like reading a children's book and thinking, "When unicorns make people smile, the world becomes a better place!"
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 13, 2012 7:33 PM

Jan 2008
Apply your knowledge of anime in real life and see the magic happen.
Dec 13, 2012 7:35 PM

Jun 2009
katsucats said:
No, if anything it makes you dumber. Getting insight from anime is like reading a children's book and thinking, "When unicorns make people smile, the world becomes a better place!"

You are probably just joking. But, if you truly believe that, why do you even watch anime? Do you think Monster somehow made you more dumb by watching it? And, no, I'm not implying it somehow made anyone smart or anything either.
Ston3_FreeN7Dec 13, 2012 7:41 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 13, 2012 7:38 PM
Oct 2012
katsucats said:

The world DOES become a better place when unicorns make people smile. Why do you think otherwise?
Dec 13, 2012 7:46 PM

Feb 2012
You gain knowledge and experience from everything you do. Intelligent anime have the power to invoke insightful outlooks on life and complex situations just like any other medium of entertainment. It really just depends on the interpretation of the viewer though.
Dec 13, 2012 7:53 PM

Aug 2012
animefan3 said:

Pretty much this. But most anime I watch just for entertainment. IF it's something enlightening or insightful, the feeling only lasts for a week. It's like watching education videos on YouTube. The initial warmth of feeling like you've gotten actually smarter, followed by the lack of behavior changing from it.

"But if we work together as one, we can save the world!" Yeah, too bad everyone's gotten that message yet fails to do so.
Dec 13, 2012 7:59 PM

Mar 2012
Like literature, western t.v/movies, and every other art form, it depends on what you choose to consume. Anime doesn't even come close to most other mediums in terms of sheer volume, so in that sense it may be more difficult to find intelligent stuff. But regardless, unless you're some sort of scholar with very specific interests, you should be able to find plenty of intellectually stimulating anime.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 13, 2012 8:07 PM

Apr 2012
Anime can make me happy and have appreciation for a good story, but it's no intelligence booster.
Dec 13, 2012 8:13 PM
Oct 2012
quukii said:
Anime can make me happy and have appreciation for a good story, but it's no intelligence booster.

Actually I would disagree. Being exposed to a good story is better than not being exposed to a story, it helps one to acquire a toolbox of situations which can latter be applied to life. The more tools in the social toolbox one has, the better off they will become socially, and this is definitely a form of intelligence.
Dec 13, 2012 8:33 PM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
...It helps one to acquire a toolbox of situations which can latter be applied to life...

That sounds about right; I make sure to always say, "It's not what it looks like," and run to school with bread in my mouth.
Dec 13, 2012 8:37 PM

Nov 2011
If anything it only made me dumber.
The Art of Eight
Dec 13, 2012 8:53 PM

Dec 2009
Sure. I learned some things from anime like vocabulary and actually learned stuff from video games too.
You do actually get a little knowledge, but you'll rarely use it. Tho when you do its different since you learned it from an anime or manga.

It can be applied very well if your talking about the right subject.

You actually sometimes learn things about life depending on the animes theme if you looked in to the anime enough.
You have different views of things from anime, yes.

At least for me.

AND I wouldn't call it that it makes me you more "smart" but you do gain some knowledge and different views.
Dec 13, 2012 9:09 PM

Aug 2012
Soo for those who say anime makes you dumber...how exactly does that happen? i mean i'll admit there are some anime that makes you wanna slam your head against a wall but...oh wait nvm answered my own question lol.

On another note, any knowledge acquired makes you a little bit more intelligent. You know something that someone out there who has not watched anime probably does not know. If the little bits of knowledge you obtained outweighs the amount of brain cells lost from the slamming your head against a wall thing that i noted above, then we can safely assume you have grown a bit smarter (even if its just by .1%).
Dec 13, 2012 9:29 PM

Jun 2009
It made me more sympathetic toward both real people and events and fictional characters/events, and develop liking for cute stuff like teddy bears.

It's turning me into a girl.

Back in the days, I actually manage to laugh when I read about a little girl get her face bit by a rottweiler on the news paper... So I guess that's a good thing...
AirStylesDec 13, 2012 10:24 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2012 10:20 PM

Apr 2011
I wouldn't exactly say that it made me smarter, but it opened my mind up. I started to become more open-minded and I started to act more like myself instead of imitating others after having started to watch anime. Dumber? No. Smarter? No. More insightful? Perhaps.
Dec 13, 2012 10:25 PM

Jun 2009
Dec 13, 2012 10:25 PM

Sep 2012
No, but it sometimes help me with creativity which I guess indirectly makes me smarter. Also helps with reading speed > Bakemonogatari.
Dec 13, 2012 11:19 PM

Sep 2008
I haven't noticed anyone become smarter from anime, but I have seen a witnessed a few cases where it seems to have made someone dumber. In those cases, that person had an unusual fondness for everything Japanese, while denying any problems going on in Japan, and were stupidly loyal to friends and/or family and whatnot. So, in general, I suggest to try not to take anime or manga too seriously.
Dec 13, 2012 11:52 PM

Jan 2011
Tyestor said:
Only after watching LoGH.

Took pretty long before this appeared.

I have to wonder to those who watch A LOT of Detective Conan, if they eventually learn something or two about logic and cause, and hence better observation.

Same with Sherlock Holmes really, and other mystery for that matter.

The problem with most of these mystery shows is that you will only know the answer after it is presented because concrete evidence is never shown until the mystery is revealed which is a pretty big design direction.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Dec 14, 2012 12:07 AM

Apr 2012
I had an epiphany when watching Utena which gave me a new way of thinking about the world. So it certainly has for me.
Dec 14, 2012 12:09 AM

Jun 2007
It won't make you more intelligent - but it may very well give you new insight into things. Nana for example was so perfectly crafted, relateable, and real, that I saw myself in the cast (not self insert shit, but something more meaningful) and it actually helped me change myself for the better as it was the first time I was seeing these aspects of myself from an outside perspective. It gave me new insight into who I was (in some aspects) and some of the reasons why I was that way which really helped me deal with them way better than I had prior.
Dec 14, 2012 12:10 AM

Sep 2012
The only thing that I learned from anime is that yelling makes you stronger.

That and that any female friend that you've had since childhood probably has a crush on you.
Dec 14, 2012 12:13 AM

Nov 2009
No, Not at all and anyone who believes they have learned through anime is fucking retarded, you learn one real fact while learning thousands of fictional things not too mention any philosophy or psychology you derive from anime is almost always half-assed and contradictory of itself later on in the series...

Also I mentioned earlier you might actually learn something ... Gratz it took you 30 minutes to learn one fact, if only you could move that fast in school, oh wait... Basically it is like watching TV (not documentaries) or Video Games ... Believing you have learned something maybe true but your belief that it is a good way of learning would be fucking retarded, just read a book, one sentence can literally be more insightful than an entire anime series in some cases... It's a past time for entertainment, don't try and give anime an educational value.

Also the way they speak is odd as fuck so don't think you are learning Japanese Dialogue either, and learning how to speak without learning grammar or how to read/write is sort of ... worthless.
Dec 14, 2012 12:18 AM

Jan 2011
I think anime like Mushishi presents unique ideas in a very different perspective that allows you to think more. But anime is 99% for entertainment not education.
Dec 14, 2012 12:29 AM

Dec 2012
More insightful, cause certain titles make you pause and ponder.

*My Profile || Signature by Jeav || I am a part οf The Invisibles. || My Anime List*
Dec 14, 2012 3:54 AM

Aug 2012
I don't think watching anime will make you necessarily intelligent. I do however believe that it may make you more insightful. There are lots of thought provoking anime out there.
Dec 14, 2012 4:01 AM

Sep 2012
you guys are all retarded, i started watching TTGL and my level of intelligence was comparable to that of a young child, by the time i finished i had a PHD in biology, physics, aerospace engineering and advanced mathematics, i could compute 128+ digit multiplication and division sums within my head on the fly, i could memorize every single number in the phone book in 34 seconds and i managed to open up a line of communication with god himself through a rip in space and time i engineered myself.

plebs.
Dec 14, 2012 4:08 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Anime can't rly make you more intelligent but it can make you think ideas that you hadn't till then. Now, the people who say they have learnt a lot through anime (and especially that pathetic meme about how anime has taught people about friendship and never giving up and blah blah), clearly they never had some decent contact with the people in their life (people with traumatic childhoods etc are excluded).

Anime works just like another kind of media. If you start thinking anime has given you a lot of things in matter of ideas and behaviors, you haven't lived a very full life and not thinking much either~
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

29 by zoeanime13 »»
23 seconds ago

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - 10 hours ago

24 by WatchTillTandava »»
19 minutes ago

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

29 by traed »»
30 minutes ago

» Best official subs for og Naruto?

TheQuench - 7 hours ago

3 by Eleben »»
36 minutes ago

» Opinion on yaoi ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

draculalover666 - Jan 20, 2022

316 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.