Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 3, 2012 2:44 PM

Jan 2008
sbg711 said:
Vforvendetta said:

oh btw, beautiful amv

xD

Houtarou already having an affair

I can totally see this as a crossover fanfic.

May 2010
A cliche locekd-in-shed-moment but .. with no romance. :(

Overall, vary cute episode!
Chitanda basicly asked Oreki out, kinda! :D

They where so cute. :3
<3
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"

Oct 2011
4kicks said:
So looks like the mystery this time was the question of how they were going to get out, without causing a commotion for the shrine visitors and/or misunderstanding towards them by Chitanda's family and family's friends which are the shrine caretakers.

Although I still think the fastest way out with the least damage (at least considering Oreki's initial destructive ideas) was to shout and call for help, and then explain the situation later.

I can't tell if Chitanda's too considerate or not: not asking Oreki why they were at the shed before entering, to considering her family's relation with the shrine's caretakers if rumors were to spread amongst the people around who hear of this that were not explained about the situation due to a simple mishap.

After thinking about it some more, perhaps Chitanda's idea to hold Oreki back was a good one after all. If they shouted for help, the commotion among the shrine visitors would definitely arouse rumors (of the only daughter of a wealthy family having improper relations with a man--unbecoming of a lady). And even if their situation were to be explained to the shrine caretakers, it would normally stop there and not explained to anyone else, which would most definately affect Chitanda's family's business with their business partners in the management of their farmlands.

...although I don't think Chitanda would have though this far ahead in that short time right before she covered Oreki's mouth.

She probably did. I mean, she is accoustumed to this :
"I'm here today representing my father. I'd be another story if it were another time or place"

Because it's not only "having improper relations with a man", it's "having improper relations with a man, while representing the family"... There is a limit to the amount of shame an old japanese family can tolerate ;)

That would mean :
a) she doesn't care about the shrine, because the was fooling around with a guy (from a low class family with that) instead of paying properly her respects
b) she represent her family
a+b => her family doesn't care about the shrine
TryssSep 3, 2012 2:48 PM
Sep 3, 2012 4:04 PM

Apr 2012
It was cute when Houtarou checked out Erus kimono in front of her while she just smiled at him.
But being trapped and not warming each other up? That was weird.^^
Also, Houtarou was using a lot of energy there. I mean he could just have waited at the shrine as in "saving energy" or so + he wanted to shout again and destroy that shed.. Eru's slowly changing that lazy man.

Is it my imagination or did Eru smile a little bit before she explained Houtarou that the situation would lead to "the wrong idea"?

However, nice episode. Satoshi got finally the chance to "solve" a "mystery" on his own.^^
And good to see him as well as Ibara again.

We might never get a EruxHoutarou happy ending but it's still all over the place that there is something between them.^^
Sep 3, 2012 5:22 PM

Feb 2012
At first, I thought this was going to be another Oreki x Chitanda episode with nothing but decent conversations...but It turned out to be a good episode :D

I liked how they managed Oreki and Chitanda's development...and Oreki had many cute gestures this ep lol

Last ep next week... Hyouka, I will miss you T_T
Sep 3, 2012 7:32 PM

Feb 2010
Great moments between these two.. such attraction ^^
Sep 3, 2012 8:37 PM

May 2008
HEHEHE! Loved the face Satoshi made when he opened the door XD.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Sep 3, 2012 9:17 PM

Feb 2011
Oreki was sooo MacGyver'ish, when he was looking through that stuff in the shack. I could almost here the series' theme.
Sep 4, 2012 1:59 AM

Jul 2012
Hahaha, funny moment when Satoshi opened the shed and said " Sappy new year" to Oreki.

Mayaka looks great in that shrine maiden get-up, as well as Chitanda in her kimono.

Last episode of Hyouka next week, can't wait for it to air, but its going to be sad when it ends.
Sep 4, 2012 2:35 AM

Nov 2009
I'm quite relieved this series is finally coming to an end. Means KyoAni can move onto another project and leave this waste of time and money behind.

The series had me sold at the episode 10 mark but it's gradually got worse to the point where I just want it to end. Eru is infuriating. Really cant stand her character over Mayaka who is actually a character with depth instead of a twinkling pair of eyes with a moe body attached.

Waiting to get some flak but thats my genuine opinion of this series as a whole over the last couple of episodes.
Sep 4, 2012 6:20 AM

Jul 2011
It was ok, not much happened, and just 1 epsiode left, sad :(
Sep 4, 2012 6:58 AM

Aug 2012
Two episodes left……oh I cannot accept the cruel fact!!
Nowhere,everywhere.

Sep 4, 2012 8:10 AM

Jul 2012
Noooo! I don't want it to end :(
Sep 4, 2012 9:44 AM

Nov 2009
Riptos said:
I'm quite relieved this series is finally coming to an end. Means KyoAni can move onto another project and leave this waste of time and money behind.

The series had me sold at the episode 10 mark but it's gradually got worse to the point where I just want it to end. Eru is infuriating. Really cant stand her character over Mayaka who is actually a character with depth instead of a twinkling pair of eyes with a moe body attached.

Waiting to get some flak but thats my genuine opinion of this series as a whole over the last couple of episodes.

tbh I enjoy the show than any other show for the last 2season. I don't see Hyouka as a waste of money/time production at all :).
Sep 4, 2012 10:53 PM

May 2011
Cute episode. I'm hoping for a possible pairing with this final episode but it might not happen. Plus, if it did, I'm sure people would complain about how last minute it is, but in a sense it would make the suspense that much worth it.

If not, that's fine. It was a mystery anime after all and any romance is just something to be mentioned, not shown.
Sep 5, 2012 1:09 PM

Jul 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
Riptos said:

tbh I enjoy the show than any other show for the last 2season. I don't see Hyouka as a waste of money/time production at all :).

Well, it's a really average (and also quite boring) slice of life show with the production value of a high quality theatrical film. KyoAni could've really used this budget to make something far more interesting and appealing then Hyouka, which is probably what Riptos means when they say it's a waste of money and time production. It really didn't need all of this work done in the animation and artwork, unless they knew that it'd be hard to get into and needed to animation to back it up. :|
Sep 5, 2012 6:00 PM

Feb 2012
For an episode of two people trapped somewhere, especially for a show like Hyouka, this was pretty damn entertaining. Sometimes i'm shocked by how much i pay attention to such a series.

I want a gif of Houtarou's "oopsie!" scene. That was hilarious.
Sep 5, 2012 6:21 PM

Oct 2011
Vyudali said:
For an episode of two people trapped somewhere, especially for a show like Hyouka, this was pretty damn entertaining. Sometimes i'm shocked by how much i pay attention to such a series.

Hyouka is a nice exemple of "mundane life can be interesting".

Sure, some people don't like this, they need something extraordinary to be entertained. Nothing wrong with that, but there is also interest in the normal.
Sep 5, 2012 6:40 PM

Jul 2012
Vyudali said:

Scroll through the Hyouka tumblr tag. It's there for sure. ;)

Tryss said:

I agree. It makes boring events actually entertaining!
Sep 5, 2012 6:46 PM

Nov 2009
ihateeveryone said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
Riptos said:

Well, it's a really average (and also quite boring) slice of life show with the production value of a high quality theatrical film. KyoAni could've really used this budget to make something far more interesting and appealing then Hyouka, which is probably what Riptos means when they say it's a waste of money and time production. It really didn't need all of this work done in the animation and artwork, unless they knew that it'd be hard to get into and needed to animation to back it up. :|

Yep you get it. That's what I'm meaning. The lowest budget company could have almost made this anime the same as what KyoAni have made it. The high production value is totally unnecessary for an anime this dull and melancholic.

I genuinely hope we don't get inundated with OVA's and god forbid something stupid like a Hyouka movie in the future. I couldnt think of a bigger waste of time and effort.

Roll on KyoAni's next project, surely has to be a bigger success than this one.
Sep 5, 2012 7:45 PM

Mar 2012
Have to agree with Riptos on this one.

I thought the whole Eru being obnoxiously moe thing was just going to be in the first few episodes, to draw in the viewers, like how a pop artist's first single is always ridiculously radio friendly. Little did I know it would last twenty-one episodes, haha.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 5, 2012 8:34 PM

Nov 2009
Oh actually it's not a boring slice of life show, they did insert mystery elements, the way they portrayed every case on the screen with various art styles were quite interesting, not to mention about the school life part, school festival and all the stuff. The only thing missed here is some "romance" situation happen between main characters, they were just hints.

Honestly I think kyo ani is one of the best studio which can deliver the school atmosphere to tv screen, perfectly, prove me wrong.

meepsheep said:
Vyudali said:

Scroll through the Hyouka tumblr tag. It's there for sure. ;)

Tryss said:

I agree. It makes boring events actually entertaining!

---> This

It can be boring to some people, but believe me, hyouka isn't a waste of money or any resources, because it is better than most of the show in the last 2 season. And it is the only show I've followed for the last 2season without being bored.
Sep 5, 2012 9:18 PM

Mar 2012
You can't "prove" an opinion wrong, so I won't go there. For me, KyoAni can deliver school set anime well, but they don't do it consistently. Haruhi and Clannad were hugely enjoyable, while K-ON! and Hyouka were huge disappointing, of the four KyoAni series I've watched. Hoping their fall show is a hit, although the premise couldn't be less underwhelming.

Back on topic, I don't know how "school life and school festival stuff" can possibly be considered a good thing at this point. Also, claiming that school set anime need romance doesn't exactly help your credibility.

Super fast version of my overall opinion: The plot isn't bad when it's actually progressing, but thanks to fillers this is not often and the characters have zero depth. One's the brilliant slacker (will to work for cute), one knows a lot but wishes he was the brilliant one, one's the typical beautiful/kind/dumb, and one's tsun. That's all you need to know. The occasionally intriguing mysteries are the only thing keeping Hyouka from strictly being a fan-service compilation.
JoshSep 5, 2012 9:26 PM
LoneWolf said:
Sep 5, 2012 9:51 PM

Nov 2009
I'm not proving any wrong opinion here cause each person has his/her own taste, just like you don't enjoy K-on!/Hyouka doesn't mean everyone doesn't like or enjoy it, and there you go.

What I mean is if there were any romance elements involved in Hyouka, it would make the show more interesting, but still, I enjoy the show it is right now.

I agree that the characters don't develop much, because the show wasn't aimed that way. Its settings are high school life, with club activities and some mysterious case to be solved. Not a bunch of drama there to be expected for. And in term of mystery/highschool life, it is well delivered to the audience. And jeez, you think there are actually fillers in Slice of Life anime?

Oh, and isn't like it has to portray depth character development to be a kyo ani's production --> Lucky Star, Haruhi ( I can only see character depth in the movie), K-on, Nichijou. They aren't only doing drama, romance, tear jerking anime, but also slice of life, comedy, parody show. ( take a look at lucky star, nichijou, do you think there are depth character development?)

Next season, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! is their next production, if you hope for depth character developments, or drama stuff in that show, you will be disappointed, since it's gonna be another comedy, high school life, romance show.

Edit: oh my bad, you haven't watched them yet ... well what I want to say is Kyo Animation knew what they are doing, they have their own reputation, to the degree that they rejected KEY's little buster and pursuit their goals.

FYI,
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=486705

Hyouka bd ranked 2nd place with 7,035 orders. Waste of money? I don't think so, the sales speak all. Ofc, you can blame Japanese people for having a bad taste (lol).
Takana_no_HanaSep 5, 2012 10:36 PM
Sep 5, 2012 10:32 PM

Mar 2012
Yes, I think there can be filler in SoL. I would describe filler as content that doesn't seek to further the show's value in any meaningful way. A useless episode. SoL shows may not have a connected plot, but their potential to be great is equal with all other genres. A wasted episode, or part of an episode, is filler, whether the genre is SoL or anything else. (obviously what's wasted time and what isn't is subjective)

I think you misunderstand why I don't like Hyouka though, because it has nothing to do with the genres. I like SoL. I will still watch Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, because I have faith (although it's fading) in KyoAni, and I'm not expecting anything in particular. I'm expecting a good show, regardless of how that is accomplished. If it begs for character development like Hyouka does, and it doesn't deliver, then it'll be another flop in my books. If it makes it work with minimal character development, perfect (not sure how that would work if it is indeed a romance). A good place to start might be 12-13 episodes, as opposed to 21.
JoshSep 5, 2012 10:37 PM
LoneWolf said:
Sep 5, 2012 10:45 PM

Nov 2009
Post-Josh said:
I would describe filler as content that doesn't seek to further the show's value in any meaningful way. A useless episode. SoL shows may not have a connected plot, but their potential to be great is equal with all other genres. A wasted episode, or part of an episode, is filler, whether the genre is SoL or anything else. (obviously what's wasted time and what isn't is subjective)

Fillers in SoL show is also subjective. Since it's a SoL show, any moments in it can be enjoyable with one person, but will not with a different person. But through many SoL show I've watched, I haven't found any unenjoyable moments in them so far ( to describe it as fillers) cause I enjoyed every moments in a SoL show ( Natsume, Aria, Hidamari Sketch, Minami-ke, Pani Poni Dash!, etc). So you points don't seem to apply for me.

Oh well, I'm not saying your points are wrong btw. It is just different from me.
Takana_no_HanaSep 5, 2012 10:51 PM
Sep 5, 2012 10:59 PM

Mar 2012
@Takana: Any moment can be enjoyable in any show, regardless of genre. I think it's just come down to semantics though and there's no point in arguing over what defines filler, haha.

endlessabyss said:
Might as well complain about the novel because the anime is an adaption o fit.

Good novel =/= good anime and unless the novel is horrid, I would consider it a poor adaptation, because it didn't work. Accuracy/loyalty to the novel doesn't imply the best anime, they're completely different mediums.
JoshSep 5, 2012 11:05 PM
LoneWolf said:
Sep 6, 2012 9:16 AM

Dec 2009
Chitanda is beautiful in her Kimono <3

My GOD Oreki is cute when he's stunned by Chitanda's beauty :3

Oh my god, hilarious in the spoiler:

Awesome grin from Satoshi xDD

Awesome episode. Oreki and Chitanda should have hugged to keep warm at the shed :3

5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Sir_LexaSep 6, 2012 9:22 AM
Sep 6, 2012 5:43 PM

May 2011
This was such a nice and cute ep. Houtarou and Chitanda just looks so cute together, lol sure wish they could have hugged it out to stay warm.

Sad that there's just one episode left. =/
Sep 6, 2012 6:31 PM
Aug 2012
HNNNGG
I liked this episode. Woot! OreChi!
Sep 7, 2012 5:29 AM

May 2012
ugh! I wished from the bottom of my heart that they hugged! It was the perfect situation. I can't believe there is only one ep left T.T hope they end up together *-*
Sep 7, 2012 7:01 AM
Aug 2012
I think, this episode was a few disappointing, because the subject was goog, and the idea was perfect, but the situation dindn´t develop properly.
Oreki should have hugged Chitanda when she was cold, it would have been a necessary secene if we are talking about the penultimate episode. I consider that this series need some of movement and something special too.
I want the next episode to be more exciting ; )

And sorry for my bad english : d
Sep 7, 2012 7:58 AM

Jan 2012
Linkark07 said:
Grrr, I'm disliking KyoAni for this. First the 19th episode and now this.

Next episode I hope Oreki asks Chitanda to go out and then KyoAni makes a second season: Hyoka After Story.

I heard that Honobu Yonezawa will continue the Hyouka timeline beyond high school.
I don't really have a valid source though.
Sep 7, 2012 8:10 AM

Aug 2012
God. Oreki. Make a move already. I find myself frustrated at the hint/ subtle crush thing going on here. GOD DAMN. Been waiting for the last 20 episodes.

I think this is a great show to just watch lightly and mindlessly.
Sep 7, 2012 10:33 AM

Jul 2009
really love this show :D too bad its 1 more ep left >__<.................
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Sep 7, 2012 5:31 PM

Aug 2011
Instant favourite episode. And with the OP and ED included, wonderful!

Was hooked from the very first moments of their entrapment. It was interesting to watch from start to finish. Finale looks exciting.
Sep 8, 2012 11:47 AM

Jul 2012
Sep 8, 2012 1:32 PM

Jun 2011
Magito said:
katsu044 said:

but another surprise for me was during the preview there was a clip of a old arcade mech game i used to play as a kid i wish i remembered the name though! :_;

It's called Cyber Troopers Virtual-On or Virtual-On for short. I used to play that game too.

I hope they end up a couple in the last episode as it feels it headed that way.

Lol im glad that im not the only one that noticed that.
I was shouting "Hey, i used to play that game!". It was my favourite game, good times :D
Sep 8, 2012 1:57 PM

Aug 2008
Lol my fave part was when Houtarou came up with those four unrealistic methods to break out of the shed.
Chitanda looked beautiful in her kimono. <3
Sep 8, 2012 2:21 PM

Jul 2012
BW42 said:
#21 isn't the last ep. http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/kotenbu/story/22/
Whoa now, whoa now. So It'll air 9/7 as well? nice!

Toshino Kyoko!!!
Sep 8, 2012 3:33 PM

Feb 2012
sikandsak said:
BW42 said:

Can't really understand the translations but if it really says a 22nd episode, yay! :D
Sep 9, 2012 1:12 AM

Nov 2006
SOMEONE PLEASE POST A GIF OF HOUTAROU TEHE PERO-ING I don't want to look for one on Tumblr

sikandsak said:
BW42 said:
No, that's when the site was updated with the synopsis.
Sep 9, 2012 1:46 AM

Aug 2012
So, 21 isn't the last, huh?
I was panicking for a moment there.

*sigh of relief*
Sep 9, 2012 2:05 AM
Jul 2018
It seemed that episode went faster than most, but it was so good. I got really sucked into this episode. No mystery or anything, but it was still awesome. Chitanda was super cute this episode. Kinda weird having a cold, New Years episode at the end of summer, but oh well. The scene with Oreki's imagination about what he was thinking about saying was great.

I am still baffled by how this series is not being streamed on any site, or has not been licensed yet. There is plenty of other complete crap series from the spring and summer that have been licensed, but not this one. It is really just flying under the radar that much, or what?

One more episode........or not? It got increased to 22? SWEET!!!!
Sep 9, 2012 3:49 AM

Sep 2012
I think I've got to agree the series has lost momentum since the end of the Kanya Fest arc. I found 18, 19 and 20 to all be a bit of a drag.
Sep 9, 2012 6:51 AM

Aug 2012
All i want is for some decisive romance between eru and oreki.
Then, i would be satisfied.
Sep 9, 2012 7:57 AM

Jul 2012
windy said:
No, that's when the site was updated with the synopsis.
Ahhhhh. Yep, seems like that's the case. I was derping with the date. -_-"

Toshino Kyoko!!!
Sep 9, 2012 9:19 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
This episode was probably the best of the entire series.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 26, 2012 2:02 PM

Sep 2010
wakka9ca said:
This episode was probably the best of the entire series.
Well maybe yes. I really enjoyed this ep, there was so much atmosphere which was a bit absent for some episodes. This show definitely needs a second season. And makes me realize that I love the soundtrack.
Sep 27, 2012 12:47 PM

Sep 2011
Haha best episode! Its weird, I find myself really enjoying the episodes that aren't mystery related.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

267 by Miedori »»
May 4, 10:12 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

267 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.