Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 17, 2011 12:39 PM

Jan 2008
I watched the movie but the ending is the same so I'll post it here.

They can say whatever the fuck they want but that black and white crap was not for artistic reasons, that was just to reduce costs.

Also the whole usage of time was totally fucked up, especially the end, I mean, wtf 12 000 years? they should be dead, if not for the black hole then definatly because of the time it would have taken them to get back to earth, they said it themselves that they lost everything and I besides, when you take out your core you won't be going fast and definitely not close to the speed of light.

To achieve a higher speed an object needs more energy, and that energy also makes the mass of said object increase.So it becomes more difficult to accelerate to a higher speed with increasing mass.

Only at 90% (!) of the speed of light would the effects be noticeable, but it would be difficult to go even harder.
to put the two speeds into perspective one needs a special formula:
W=(V+U)/(1+VU/C²)

V and U are the two speeds, C is the constant for the speed of light (300.000km/s), and W is the speed relative to each other.
You then need to calculate with the percentages of the speed of light, say 90%:
(0,9+0,9)/(1+0,9*0,9/1²)= 0.9944751381% of the speed of light.
This has also been proven through experiments in the LHC.
No matter how much energy they put in it they always stayed at 99,99999999% and the nines just grew. 100% could never be reached.

The delay of the time, the time dilation, is indicated by the small letter gamma, and can be calculated with the formula:
γ = 1 / √ (1-V ² / C ²)
So the time dilation at 90% the light speed is 1 / √ ( 1 - 0.9 ²/1²) = 2.294157339. The time has slowed by about a factor of 2.3!

At one moment they showed a number at around 98.x but this is impossible, especially for a ship of that size, same with gunbuster.

I get that they wanted it to make it dramatic but shit way to exaggerate. I couldn't enjoy it to the fullest because if this.
TheUniqueReaperAug 17, 2011 1:29 PM
Aug 29, 2011 6:18 PM

Sep 2009
Sorry dude..... But you're a douche....
Sep 1, 2011 12:35 PM
Aug 2011
Just watched this.

The ending was amazing. AMAZING. Second favorite Gainax work after Evangelion.
Sep 18, 2011 11:33 AM

Apr 2011
Really awesome series ^_^ Not sure how I feel about the final episode being in black and white, but it is what it is. Some of the battle scenes could have stood to be in color IMO, but they were already cutting the budget with the still shots and a simple tally of the war dead.

So they crammed Jupiter into a bomb, shrunk it down to 1/30,000 size and turned it into a black hole. SCIENCE! Ah well, it's sci-fi, I'm much more accepting of bad science in this genre. At least they aren't able to go out in space by holding their breath.

Also, there's a black hole already in the center of the galaxy, so creating a new one would only make the one already there bigger (along with destroyingeverything in between the two and releasing tremendous amounts of energy). Of course, when the anime was made we didn't know about the Eater at True Center; in Gunbuster it seems to just be a solid mass of stars. If you wanted to try and make sense of it, maybe they just didn't get past the tightly-packed outer shell of stars to find the black hole already there.

Epic ending, of course. 12,000 years is a long time, but for those of you interested in time dilation and its effect on starship pilots in war, check out 'The Forever War' and its spin-offs. It's a story about a Vietnam-like space war that lasts for millenia, and by the time the soldiers who first joined reach the end of it, humanity back on Earth has evolved into something utterly alien itself.

5/5, 9/10. I actually liked this better than Evangelion, it dragged a lot less (tho it had less deep, heady concepts to bake your noodle with).
Blind_GuardianSep 18, 2011 11:39 AM
Jan 30, 2012 10:52 AM

Apr 2009
Wow, that was an impressive ending. And it was happier than I expected which was nice.
Mar 19, 2012 1:19 PM

Jan 2012
came in expecting tears and was very skeptical...

manly tears were shed during this episode.... that last scene hit me hard for some reason. Mind = blown.

feelsgoodman.jpg (no homo)
Mar 25, 2012 7:00 PM

Apr 2008
Outstanding episode and a really good series. I especially loved how time is so cruel to the characters, one has to essentially sacrifice living his or her life in order to save humanity. The producers did a great job in that aspect. The black-and-white animation emphasized the magnitude and importance of the final epic battle. Highly enjoyable.

Now I aim for Diebuster!
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Jun 14, 2012 5:21 PM

Jul 2010
naikou said:

12,000 years is a long time. The japanese language probably wouldn't exist in its current form.

The phrase appeared in the last scene is "オカエリナサイ" written in katakana form. But the last word "イ" is mirrored. Is it just a mistake? Or people don't understand current Japanese in 12,000 years later?
Sigh... 12,000 years is too long to imagine the world in the distant future.
Sep 6, 2012 8:30 PM

Feb 2012
And so they went from being just some mecha pilots on a mission, to living legends told for milleniums to come. It has been over ten thousand years, but Jun kept her promise in the end. If that is not epic in a literal sense, then I do not know what is.

All in all, one of the best mecha-anime I'ver ever seen. And even though it is only six episodes, I'm quite satisfied with the storyscope.
mecharobotSep 6, 2012 11:53 PM
Sep 7, 2012 1:51 AM

Sep 2012
mecharobot said:
If that is not epic in a literal sense, then I do not know what is.
All in all, one of the best mecha-anime I'ver ever seen. And even though it is only six episodes, I'm quite satisfied with the storyscope.

Same here.
Oct 20, 2012 9:19 PM

May 2012
Avenir said:
mecharobot said:
If that is not epic in a literal sense, then I do not know what is.

Same here.

Count me in as well. Totally agree, one of the greatest anime ever if you ask me!
Dec 11, 2012 7:00 AM

Nov 2012
that was probably the best final episode of any series i've ever seen tbh
Dec 16, 2012 12:51 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Rewatched this for the umpteenth time.

They really don't make them like this anymore. What a beautiful, awe inspiring ending. Gainax really have created some of the best anime ever.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 12, 2013 9:14 AM

Jun 2012
My fav Mecha anime until now. Amazing characters, animation, and battles. I'm going to see Diebuster as soon as I can...
Feb 13, 2013 4:37 AM
Jan 2013
Great ending. I actually quite enjoyed the sketchy battle scene too - better than a bunch of 80's cheese and yelling out "Buster Beam" like some of the other battles :P. Series overall had nice art with a fun setting and great use of space opera stuff (especially time dilation), but was uneven and cheesy in parts and only average in the character department. 8/10.
Mar 10, 2013 9:01 PM

Nov 2012
This ending was fucking great.
Despite it being short I still enjoyed it.
RX-782Mar 10, 2013 11:19 PM
Jun 2, 2013 3:51 PM

Feb 2011
Ok so does anyone else think that guy talking to Amano about whether or not humankind should lay down and die in the beginning of the episode looks exactly like Jared from Zeta Gundam?
いっぺん死んでみる?
Jul 26, 2013 2:10 AM

Sep 2012
having seen TTGL before this and regarding it as my #1 anime of all time, i now see just how much inspiration TTGL took from gunbuster (amongst quite a fe other classic super robot shows) i always knew it was inspired by older shows, but not to this extent.
this last episode is easily one of the top 3 final episodes ive seen in an anime, the fact that this was literally a quarter of a century old really shows how well its stood the test of time.

a great series through and through, now onto diebuster.
Aug 12, 2013 11:57 PM
Oct 2010
If you are a fan of gainax in general you can see this show influenced TTGL and NGE quite a bit. For instance, when Noriko went into space after Smith's death and started having the flashbacks, same with Amuno when she thought about coach. Not to mention the active timer on the gunbuster the first time it launched. The art in the scene where noriko punches the core to jump start the black hole bomb thing reminded me of a couple scenes from TTLG.

I felt the only mistake they made was with Smith, since he didn't have enough time to develop a much more solid relationship with Noriko, his demise didn't have the impact it should.
Aug 13, 2013 3:09 AM

Sep 2012
skudoops said:
If you are a fan of gainax in general you can see this show influenced TTGL and NGE quite a bit. For instance, when Noriko went into space after Smith's death and started having the flashbacks, same with Amuno when she thought about coach. Not to mention the active timer on the gunbuster the first time it launched. The art in the scene where noriko punches the core to jump start the black hole bomb thing reminded me of a couple scenes from TTLG.

I felt the only mistake they made was with Smith, since he didn't have enough time to develop a much more solid relationship with Noriko, his demise didn't have the impact it should.

it was quite interesting to see just how much gunbuster influenced their later series, after seeing diebuster, its safe to say its pretty much a pilot series for ttgl in so many ways
Aug 13, 2013 10:20 AM
Oct 2010
eldest said:
skudoops said:

it was quite interesting to see just how much gunbuster influenced their later series, after seeing diebuster, its safe to say its pretty much a pilot series for ttgl in so many ways

Indeed, I had seen this series years ago, but after rewatching TTLG I decided to look at it again to see if I saw any similarities. I didn't notice them back then but they jumped out this time. This show feels like the mother of all gainax's most successful projects and it was pretty good in its own right.
Dec 6, 2013 2:39 PM

Nov 2012
Face palm to the likes that where given.
Dec 23, 2013 12:55 PM

Nov 2012
johnyjohny said:
Face palm to the likes that where given.
You just have shit taste.
Dec 29, 2013 4:39 PM

Nov 2011
Damn, that was a feels trip for the finale. The black and white backgrounds fit nearly perfectly. 7/10. Nice watch although it took me awhile to get attached to the characters.
Jan 30, 2014 1:17 AM

Dec 2008
A fem cross between gundam and ultraman...this should have been better...even with 80's anime boob shots...this fell short of greatness....far short.
Feb 22, 2014 10:42 PM

Aug 2013
I almost shed a tear...then Noriko just had to rip half of her shirt off. That was so hilarious haha!

12,000 years? That's depressing. For 12,000 years and Welcome back is the best humans can do? That's even more depressing lmao.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 26, 2014 12:40 PM

Sep 2013
Noriko insta-went to my favorites after ripping that shirt off, good job.

All in all, that was a fantastic experience, I love short unique OVAs like these. They often are much more memorable than long stretched series

I can now see indeed, where TTGL got its ideas from. I personally liked this even more than TTGL, though. I think it was the Anno factor.

9/10
cupcMar 21, 2014 7:49 AM
Mar 9, 2014 11:43 PM
Aug 2011
Amazing ending!
Not a big fan of the first three episodes but these last three were great.

Noriko grabbing and ripping her shirt was one of the manliest things i've seen in anime. Holy crap.

I was filled with sorrow everytime they kept mentioning how many years had passed. Also almost shed a tear.

The fact that Noriko kept piloting while knowing that time would take her loved ones further and further away from her took so much strength to do from her part. Respect.

Will also say that having this in black and white was genius.
Mar 22, 2014 10:31 PM
Aug 2013
Twas a good ending. It also was a good show but i wish it were a couple episodes longer.
Apr 4, 2014 3:24 PM

Nov 2012
This series was pretty good!

That time difference theme going throughout the wole anime was extremely sad, especially with Noriko and her best friend! Kimiko really wanted Noriko to at least be back to visit Kimiko's daughter, but too much time passed . Even though Noriko and Kazumi made it back to earth, they won't really know anyone there because its been such a long time. Hopefully they'd at least get to meet with some descendants of people they knew.

It was cool how the earth's continents seemed to be interconnected with some kind of structure, maybe like a super highway that connects all the landmasses or something.
Apr 11, 2014 9:08 PM

Apr 2013
Sad episode, i almost cried..
Why was it black n white..?

Holy shit 12.000 years? Do humans still look like they "used to"?
Anyway it was good.
Apr 23, 2014 5:28 PM

Apr 2012
While I did enjoy episode 1-5 -- and they had some incredibly advanced mech design and animation -- something was off and I didn't enjoy them as much as I expected. I'm guessing this is due to the quick pace (and the ecchi), but it's not really something that can be avoided with a six-episode OVA. Anyway my whole perception of this OVA changed because of this last episode.

From the first few seconds, the change of ratio and the lack of colour felt like I was watching La Jetée again, and there is a matching change in tone as the characters dwell more on what time means, on the concept of mortality, on what it is to be human.

It's hard to describe all the black-and-white does: visually it has this sharpness, but it also puts in a state of mind that is different from how is usually perceived coloured anime. And even if there wasn't the change of tone I mentioned it's like the brain is ready to construe another range of significations just from it.

Add a brillant directing, which includes a clever use of timeless music (as the bgm is the other episodes kind of aged), and you have an unforgettable experience.
Jul 9, 2014 9:22 AM

May 2012
What an amazing ending! That welcome back message was just unbelievable touching! Really just wow! THat's what I call an ending of a great if not superb mecha anime (and heck I don't even like mecha anime) Gainax sure knew how to make a good anime back in the day!

I really wonder what the sequel has to offer us but just wow for these 6 episodes! 9/10
Jul 9, 2014 3:54 PM

Oct 2013
Dam that ending was epic and sad at the same time 12,000 years Holly shit
great anime now time to watch the science lessons and season 2 well the sequel!
[/quote]
Aug 10, 2014 12:37 PM

Jun 2008
Sometimes, you just have to let the tears flow, and this ending is a fine excuse to do it.
Dec 14, 2014 6:15 AM

Sep 2013
[なんてこと!] is like the only dialogue I'll remember from this series. Tashiro might as well be Joseph.

Anyways, looks like they ran out of budget...
Dec 15, 2014 6:22 AM

Sep 2013
FrostbyteDOT said:
[なんてこと!] is like the only dialogue I'll remember from this series. Tashiro might as well be Joseph.

The never ran out of budget, it was purely an artistic choice by Anno, if you're referring to the animation and black-and-white.
cupcApr 10, 2015 3:04 PM
Mar 5, 2015 1:42 AM

Jul 2012
The ending...amazing ;_;

The first 3 episodes had some pacing issues but the latter half was great!

I was teary eyed throughout the last three episodes and the final moments were so epic and heartwarming...time for these tears to fall :')
Ga_LaxyMar 5, 2015 1:47 AM
Apr 9, 2015 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
Absolutely loved the ending.
Apr 23, 2015 3:02 AM

Mar 2013
That was the best episode of the series due to how interesting their choice was. The switch to colour was pretty good. Version 2 of it is a shame from the bits I saw though.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
May 12, 2015 4:36 AM

Dec 2013
prolly the best single episode of anime ever created
May 27, 2015 4:19 PM

Mar 2014
Not as good as episode 5, but it was a fitting ending for the show.
episode 5 and 6 definitely make this worth watching... even if the first 4 episodes were between average and sub-par.

If all of the episodes were like these last two, the show would get a 9/10 from me... but since I rated the first four episodes 6/10 and 7/10, it gets a solid 8/10.
::End of Transmission::

Jun 24, 2015 6:26 PM

Sep 2010
12,000 years is a long ass time. xD

7/10
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 12, 2015 7:31 AM

Apr 2013
beautiful ending.

loved the decision to make it black and white

rewatch was great just like the first time watching even if knowing how crazy episode 5 is the first 3 episodes kinda pale in comparison but it is a 6 episode ova so you cannot really complain for it building up to that big battle
Jul 28, 2015 11:03 AM

Nov 2011
If not for space, then this would have been just another shitty otaku mech series. This came first, but Gurren Lagann completely destroys it. Not enough give-a-shit points were built up on Smith Toren (fucking waste too, since you don't get many love interests with character designs like Smith's).

But as always, there were multiple timeskips, so I give more pity points other than for just space points.

What a fucking pity. Why did it have to be Anal Hideaki? For shame. This deserved more than 6 measly episodes. I expected this crapola to be great. Guess you can't expect anything from Anal.
Jul 28, 2015 11:07 AM

Mar 2015
Xynical said:

Funny because the Black and White stuff was actually more expensive to do at the time.
Sep 26, 2015 1:47 PM
Feb 2012
I'm just speechless on how awesome this was. 10/10
Nov 14, 2015 1:23 AM
Mar 2012
Ending was very epic bittersweet. Theme involving human aging under time differences felt emotional similar to Interstellar. In fact, watching this felt like a historical survey, the possible origins of tropes & themes: time travel/black hole, 2nd hand kiss that became popular trope later, angst mc, coming of age (though suddenly saying to herself she'll stop crying & reborn as a new person felt too in your face jarring), growth & reconciliation, super robos/gattai etc.
Interesting references: The main trio basically lives as Rip Van Winkle the American story mentioned. Ningen Shikkaku book Oneesama read. Freud/Jung lol her name... & her angry inferiority. Weird Gunbuster#3 was made later yet couldn't withstand the same pressure. Also weird 2023-2032 only made 16% on a useless Eltreum (but was funny seeing supersized plamo in space), basically no technological advances or major military buildup since the 1st war. So they used 3 old ships from that war, 2 gattaied into Gunbuster, pretty cool. 2048 counterattack, finally they made a giant black hole bomb, cool shield tech, but Jung's Gunbuster#3 still sucked & useless. Slightly weird 25 years didn't mass produce the same strong gunbuster, whatever scifi.
12,000 years, ok... at least it lead to the Aquarion series. And fit the over top melodramas (2-3x more extreme than the most Okada script possible). Quite surprised genre had comedy... in retrospect it was only funny everytime Noriko suddenly burst in tears or go angst, which was way too frequent.
Recently saw several 90's shows, so animation quality is average, footage reuse a bit high for a short series but they were good ones like warp out effect, some animations were very nice sasuga gainax, Oneesama's hair & some detail motions. Not used to the very weird eye shapes & movement, while all cross eyed, made me cringe in horror. At least Kazumi & Coach both looked great, actually most guys like Smith & old general all look cool. All of these guys can replace those modern generic haired weak male mcs.
Ep3 walloftext equations & theories accompanied by song!? I thought whole ep with love was filler troll, untill best boy died.
Ep6 hahhahahahhahaaaaahaaha, no comment. It's one of the hardest shows to rate with enough bad elements (which idea factory re-parodied), mixed with some good animation, epic emotional story & great ending. I'll just view this as a historical review of the famed gainax end (plus necessary excuses), gainaxing, super robo, & interstellar origins.
Nov 27, 2015 12:39 PM

May 2012
Gainax you done it again
Jan 6, 2016 3:09 PM

Sep 2014
Thx Gainax.

This anime was just great. The part before "welcome back" made me cry a little XD
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is the dub good?

AustinJamB - Jul 17, 2023

7 by Billy-storm »»
May 13, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

69 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 18, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 28, 2008

78 by VioletOlya »»
Mar 3, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 19, 2009

77 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 9:21 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

67 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 8:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.