Forum Settings
Forums

Warner Announces Japanese Live Action Film of Rurouni Kenshin

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 27, 2011 11:24 PM

Oct 2007
TAKERU WILL BE AN AMAZING KENSHIN. OMG OMG OMG.

and i love the amount of fail in the comments right now. it's a japanese movie. they do remakes of manga/anime ALL THE TIME. this has nothing to do with amurrrika.

Confucius said:
Great, some white guy is going to play Kenshin

Very white indeed
katsupJun 27, 2011 11:28 PM
Jun 27, 2011 11:37 PM

Dec 2010
I have heard this some time ago in a different board and finally

Ryoutarou Nogami will be Sword Form minus Momotaros!

*cue in the original Double Action song sung in old Japanese style*
Koboreochiru suna no you ni dare mo toki tomerarenai
Sono sadame okasu mono "boku ga" "ore ga" keshite miseru kanarazu

Jibun no naka dare ka ga sawagidasou to shite iru
Ore no toki wo matte 'ru seigyo dekinai shoudou

Right now me wo somuketara rekishi ga kuzurete 'ku
Kaze sae mo sakende iru "mezame yo atsuku"....
HyperCobaltMaxJun 27, 2011 11:45 PM
Jun 27, 2011 11:42 PM

May 2010
So who is going to play Hiko?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 27, 2011 11:45 PM

Aug 2010
Not sure about this...with a decent script it could work, just don't butcher it...
Jun 27, 2011 11:46 PM

Feb 2008
katsup said:
TAKERU WILL BE AN AMAZING KENSHIN. OMG OMG OMG.

and i love the amount of fail in the comments right now. it's a japanese movie. they do remakes of manga/anime ALL THE TIME. this has nothing to do with amurrrika.

Confucius said:
Great, some white guy is going to play Kenshin

Very white indeed

Well yes Kenshin is very white indeed. I know your point was to point out how stupid confucius and a lot of people in this thread are for not reading anything beyond "warner" but upon seeing Kenshin I couldn't resist saying it.
Jun 28, 2011 12:53 AM

Apr 2008
o.o;

I don't...

I know it's going to be about the Edo Peroid, but I can mostly imagine it as just plain fun and special effects. Not a winner of a movie.

Oh, and bring Aoshi ;)
Jun 28, 2011 1:16 AM

Dec 2009
Pixy-Stix said:
Anyone who says the movie will suck because of Westerners is a weeaboo/communist.

You don't have to be from the same country as the character you're playing to be awesome.

Just ask Hugh Jackman, Australian as Logan/Wolverine, Canadian.

If the movie sucks, it'll be because it sucks. Dragonball Evolution and The Last Airbender don't suck because Asians were replaced by Westerners. They suck because they're terrible movies.

Seconded with every fiber of my being.
Jun 28, 2011 2:08 AM
Jun 2008
DBE sucked because they didn't take it seriously & tried to westernize it. Airbender sucked because Shyamalan is a self indulgent hack & tried to westernize it.

This film will suck for entirely different reasons.

I don't like Japanese live action adaptions any more than Hollywood ones. Japanese adaptions are cheesy & Hollywood adaptions are just plain insulting. They all suck for different reasons.

Years from now when the comic book movies have completely dried up & they pounce on anime fans for their next payday, they'll start taking the material more seriously.

Picture a Chris Nolan Evangelion........... *faints*
Jun 28, 2011 2:08 AM
Jun 2011
i hope it dosent suck like many live action movies that came before
Jun 28, 2011 3:00 AM

Jan 2010
Warner bros dont have any fresh movies ?

always marvel & Anime movies >>
Jun 28, 2011 3:04 AM
Jun 2008
blu_d said:

Picture a Chris Nolan Evangelion........... *faints*

Actually I started having fun so I'm back with more.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Steven Speilberg
The Tatami Galaxy - Coen Brothers
Bokurano - Clint Eastwood
Code Geass - Ridley Scott
Moribito - Steven Spielberg
Gintama - Quentin Tarantino
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Robert Rodriguez

More Chris Nolan:
Death Note
Argento Soma

hmmm....Gintama & TTGL need more work.
Jun 28, 2011 3:05 AM

Aug 2008
A live action would be a little weird.
Not expecting anything big but I hope it works out well!
Jun 28, 2011 3:22 AM
Nov 2008
Not sure why everybody is surprised about this because this news is from august 2010.
Jun 28, 2011 6:26 AM
Oct 2007
Please don't suck and please, for the love of all that exists, use asian actors.
Jun 28, 2011 6:57 AM
Apr 2010
Hate to say it but this whole thread is filled with idiots. >.<
Jun 28, 2011 7:17 AM

Jul 2010
oh no not Takeru Satoh. I saw him play Koyuki in BECK live-action. he doesn't look fitting for action roles and he looks like someone who never exercises. i'm worried about the action scenes. i'm a big fan of samurai movies and I don't want some weakling poster boy playing the role of a legendary ronin. :(
Only hope can give rise to the emotion we call despair. But it is difficult for man to live completely without hope. In other words, man has no choice but to live with despair as his companion.
Jun 28, 2011 8:08 AM

May 2007
neonxmira said:
he doesn't look fitting for action roles and he looks like someone who never exercises. i'm worried about the action scenes. i'm a big fan of samurai movies and I don't want some weakling poster boy playing the role of a legendary ronin. :(

According to ANN: "Satoh began intensive training in sword-fighting earlier this month, and filming will begin in July."

So hopefully he will be okay in this role :) Moreover, Kenshin himself looks like a weakling, that's his speciality :D
'I think of my fellow men from the Shieikan as my lifelong comrades. My most proud and precious good fortune has been to have met all of you, Soji.' [Yamanami Keisuke, vice-commander, Shinsengumi]
Jun 28, 2011 9:35 AM

Feb 2008
Interesting...
Jun 28, 2011 10:33 AM

Sep 2009
Fyndra said:
neonxmira said:
he doesn't look fitting for action roles and he looks like someone who never exercises. i'm worried about the action scenes. i'm a big fan of samurai movies and I don't want some weakling poster boy playing the role of a legendary ronin. :(

According to ANN: "Satoh began intensive training in sword-fighting earlier this month, and filming will begin in July."

So hopefully he will be okay in this role :) Moreover, Kenshin himself looks like a weakling, that's his speciality :D

Thats what I was going to say.
Kenshin may be a badass shouen hero...but.
Ninety five percent of the time he is a pasty shoujo boytoy who gets beat up by girls and children.

kindergraph said:
jesus christ, do you people not read past the headlines?

THIS IS A JAPANESE FILM FROM A JAPANESE DIRECTOR WITH JAPANESE ACTORS. the involvement of warner bros. doesn't make it any more american since it's being produced by its JAPANESE branch.

You expect people to read before bitching?
Madness man... pure madness.
Jun 28, 2011 10:38 AM

Oct 2007
Damonashu said:
katsup said:

Very white indeed

Well yes Kenshin is very white indeed. I know your point was to point out how stupid confucius and a lot of people in this thread are for not reading anything beyond "warner" but upon seeing Kenshin I couldn't resist saying it.

:) It's okay, It made made me giggle.

Hercule said:
Not sure why everybody is surprised about this because this news is from august 2010.

It's cause the news is pretty much to announce Sato Takeru is the lead, which also confirmed the rumors of a live action... but OP decided to focus more on the fact there will be a movie.
[tokyograph]
katsupJun 28, 2011 10:41 AM
Jun 28, 2011 10:45 AM

Dec 2007
Takeru Sato was announced as the lead...back in 2010. Also:

oh no not Takeru Satoh. I saw him play Koyuki in BECK live-action. he doesn't look fitting for action roles and he looks like someone who never exercises. i'm worried about the action scenes. i'm a big fan of samurai movies and I don't want some weakling poster boy playing the role of a legendary ronin. :(

Someone doesn't know about Den-O. Or Kenshin, for that matter.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Jun 28, 2011 10:47 AM

Sep 2009
soulless4now said:
As long as it doesn't have American actors, I see no reason to cry.
This
&
This:
Orulyon said:
Sato is hot.
Jun 28, 2011 10:48 AM

Oct 2007
SageShinigami said:
Takeru Sato was announced as the lead...back in 2010. Also:

Really? I had no idea. I remember reading rumors about a live-action but never who would star in it.
Jun 28, 2011 10:51 AM
Jul 2010
Dudewitbow said:
Please hire an asian actor at the least for the lead

He is Asian, though he doesn't have big anime eyes and long red hair, what a pity.
Jun 28, 2011 11:21 AM

Jan 2008
Speed Racer is the only anime adaptation that didn't suck and actually embraced the medium fully. All these other adaptations keep changing so much shit to make the story 'realistic' which is completely besides the point and makes things really stupid.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 28, 2011 11:30 AM

Jan 2011
I'm hoping they don't butcher it that's all x.x

I am a man than can make the impossible, possible.
Jun 28, 2011 5:10 PM

Apr 2011
and2one said:
As long as they don't screw it up like they did DB fine by me. I still get nausea thinking about the DB fail and I'm really nervous about the Cowboy Bebop with Keanu Reeves. Not to mention the rumors about an american Death Note with Zac Efron.

*facedesk*
Oh good God. =_=l|l

On the plus side, I have a feeling that thay could pull off this movie relatively well as long as they try to keep the special effects to a bare minimum and just stick to good old fashioned sword fighting. It's all I ask.
SugarpunchJun 28, 2011 5:14 PM

Jun 28, 2011 8:27 PM

Jul 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
I want to hear "Hiten-Mitsurugi Stylllllllllllllllllle"

Agree.
Decadent said:
carosene said:
I approve. Massively.

But I must post a RuPaul quote: "Don't fBEEP it up."

I won't be crawling to see this, but I love Kenshin so this is somewhat exciting. I wonder how they'll pull off the action scenes with finesse. Will wait for the reviews haha.

Double Agree.

Fyndra said:
As a huuuuge fan of RuroKen I can hardly wait to see this movie! There were some rumours about it last summer, and I'm so happy that they were proved to be true!
I know adaptations like this might turn out bad as well, but since Sato Takeru is an excellent actor (plus Watsuki himself said he was the top on his list of "who could play Kenshin", so... :D) and the director did an awesome job on Ryoumaden I think it's gonna be all right this time :)

This year is truly amazing for us, Kenshin fans, even if we don't get anything else (come on, re-releases, game, new anime, live action movie...) I think we cannot complain about this anniversary. The only thing left would be a manga, and a nice one-shot would be so great indeed... I wouldn't mind a break in the Embalming series :))

Triple agree.
And I also agree with those that said some of the comments on here were posted by idiots that don't read past the deadlines... or don't know what a communist is.
Jun 28, 2011 10:39 PM
Mar 2009
Well...he doesn't really look like a Kenshin...
Jun 28, 2011 11:33 PM

Oct 2009
...at least its a Japanese cast.
Jun 29, 2011 9:41 AM
Oct 2008
Whatever happened to that anime announcement a few months back.

Also will watch anything RK good news
Jun 29, 2011 9:57 AM

Dec 2007
Beatnik said:
Speed Racer is the only anime adaptation that didn't suck and actually embraced the medium fully. All these other adaptations keep changing so much shit to make the story 'realistic' which is completely besides the point and makes things really stupid.[/quote

Speed Racer took place in a world full of neon racetracks...and the anime looked NOTHING like that.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Jun 30, 2011 12:16 AM

Jul 2010
Thank goodness it's not an American version!
Jun 30, 2011 3:02 AM

Aug 2009
Hope it doesn't turn out like what happened to DBZ, that was plain wrong.

Jun 30, 2011 8:47 AM

May 2009
I always loathe live action adaptation when I've seen the 2D version first. In Kenshin's case:

1. No 3D actor can look half as BAMF as these two:

2. Any actor playing this guy would just look silly. Or scary for all the wrong reasons:

3. This look would risk being lulzy done by a 3D person.

4. How can we have Kenshin without this?

(Well, okay, if they do a Tsuiokuhen adaptation, we could. But I still love my Oro-Kenshin.)

Alright, I'm done nitpicking. Either way, not looking forward to it. But more money for Watsuki, so yay for him. As long as the anime project mentioned previously remains on.

Also, serial releases?
Jun 30, 2011 8:52 AM

Jun 2011
DeathReaper said:

Yeah..Exactly what I was thinking. XD
Duhuhu...
Jun 30, 2011 9:22 AM

Nov 2009
Satoh looks like he my pull it off as Kenshin. I would love to see this but I hope they don't mess it up.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Jul 2, 2011 9:10 AM

Dec 2010
neonxmira said:

Hey! You would be sorry if you see this:
Aug 12, 2011 5:05 AM

Jul 2011
Athena said:
1. No 3D actor can look half as BAMF as these two:

2. Any actor playing this guy would just look silly. Or scary for all the wrong reasons:

3. This look would risk being lulzy done by a 3D person.

4. How can we have Kenshin without this?

Agreed.
I don't know what to expect. Part of me says that not exepecting much will make me not get disappointed. But part of me screams "RUROUNI KENSHIN" because it is and it will always be my favorite manga.
Hope they find a good actor for playing Saitou, because I hope to hear "Gatotsu".

Any news on the plot of the movie?
Aug 12, 2011 7:24 AM

Feb 2010
Lol, will suck.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 27, 2011 1:37 PM

Aug 2011
Ah, OMG How did I not find this until now?!

At first, seeing the title, my response was "Oh, No ... Dx" But seeing the words "Takeru Sato" made me feel much better! :D

Teehee, some of the posts made me laugh. Just laugh. xD
Oct 27, 2011 2:00 PM

Feb 2010
DeathReaper said:

haha they learnt their lesson after the Memoirs of a Geisha disaster......
Nov 30, 2011 5:09 PM
Feb 2011
Jeezus, most live action adaptations, if not all, turn out real shitty. And Kenshin is a shounen series. There's bound to be exaggerations. I doubt this movie would be fulfilling.
Dec 28, 2011 3:58 PM

Jan 2008
Have you guys seen the live-action trailer? Linky!

I don't know what to think. Main actor looks too generic though.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 28, 2011 4:53 PM

Dec 2007
Beatnik said:
Have you guys seen the live-action trailer? Linky!

I don't know what to think. Main actor looks too generic though.

I'm kinda curious as to what generic means, here. I mean he resembles Kenshin.
Dec 29, 2011 4:37 AM

Jan 2008
Generic means bland, a pretty-boy. He resembles Kenshin in that he's wearing his costume and has his hair long, but other than that he doesn't scream 'Kenshin' to me at all. We haven't heard him speak or act though, so from this short footage we can't judge his performance, but so far I'm just not feeling anything.

However, every trailer that never shows the main actor speaking is actually hiding a bad performance, and ultimately a bad film. I.e - The Last Airbender, etc, etc. So my hopes for this film aren't high sadly.
Dec 29, 2011 11:24 PM

May 2010
my best friend is a kenshin fanatic, he will love to hear this news
Fiction Responsibly
Jan 8, 2012 12:32 AM

Dec 2010
Let us not put the cart before the horse there DarkMorpher-san. Who knows what will come out in this version. Either it will make or break the fans' expectation or otherwise a third option.

And one more thing...

Courtesy of Soukichi Narumi (Kouji Kikkawai) aka Kamen Rider Skull... who will be Ryoutarou Nogami/ Kamen Rider Den-O (Takeru Sato) Himura Kenshin's opponent Jinei Udoh.
Feb 18, 2012 11:18 AM

Aug 2011
Hmmmmmmmmm, I'm a bit worried...

you see what I mean?
Feb 18, 2012 11:37 AM

Sep 2011
I've never watched Kenshin but...Yay?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

40 by MegamiRem »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by deg »»
6 hours ago

» 'Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

0 by DatRandomDude »»
Yesterday, 8:59 PM

» 'Fumetsu no Anata e' Gets Third Anime Season

Vindstot - Mar 12, 2023

20 by Klazzama »»
Yesterday, 4:38 PM

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 30

15 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 12:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.