Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 6, 2010 9:05 PM
Jun 2010
Here's my thought on this anime:

My rating 9/10: Why 9 and not 10 ?

The animation and sound are very poor, the opening is very bad and not very appealing, the last episode made no sense for the ones who only watched the TV show. It's not good to show us manga frames during action scene,I'm watching an anime not a manga, I want animated stuff and good sound.

The story is the same from the manga with little modification : no skull knight, gambino (Guts's "father") died in a more horrible way, guts had a particular incident when he was younger, one particular fighter in the tournement in which Guts was participating wasn't in the anime, they didn't show us more of the King, and many more modifications in the last 5 episodes (commencing with Guts return to the Band of Hawk and Griffith's rescue, they cut off a lot of unimportant things from there)

It's a very good adaptation (excluding the last episode) of an excellent Manga.

A (uncensored) remake is needed but it's too soon because the manga isn't over yet...

Sep 18, 2010 5:20 PM

Mar 2010
Demonic yes

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 18, 2010 5:26 PM

Jul 2009
Episode 25, the great masacre clifhanger...

I actually wish an anime company would pick this series up again, we really lack gritty seinen's naw-a-days. :(
I know th mang is still going, yet there is still a lot of material to cover; an anime culd go for years without catching up.

Sep 18, 2010 5:37 PM

Mar 2010
Queen_Stars said:

I actually wish an anime company would pick this series up again, we really lack gritty seinen's naw-a-days. :(
I know th mang is still going, yet there is still a lot of material to cover; an anime culd go for years without catching up.

seriously, anime is a cliffhanger, manga is always the answer i wish it wasnt all the time, i still with claymore wasnt messed up too.

controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 19, 2010 12:44 AM

Aug 2008
F*ck! Can't deny how great this is, but it feels so damn incomplete. I knew this was coming though, that's why it took me so long to actually pick this series up. If you rate this below a 9, you're absolutely nuts. This reminds me why the mid to late 90's is my favorite period in anime.
Sep 21, 2010 11:51 PM
Jul 2010
Good god this angers me. I'm fine with manga, but when an anime basically requires you to read the manga to see the ending, it pisses me off! So...anybody know what chapter of the manga the anime stopped on? :/
Jackmac =P~
Sep 22, 2010 11:02 AM

Jul 2009
Okay, that's rape scene is a bit hard to watch, fvuk what to do when i'm reading the manga..poor Casca and poor Guts, this couple won't get a good ending
7/10
LaevanteinSep 22, 2010 11:05 AM
Sep 22, 2010 1:23 PM

Jul 2009
Rasco said:
Queen_Stars said:

I know th mang is still going, yet there is still a lot of material to cover; an anime could go for years without catching up.

seriously, anime is a cliffhanger, manga is always the answer i wish it wasnt all the time, i still with claymore wasnt messed up too.

I'm actually (almost) up to date on the Berserk manga, yet I'd just love to see the whole thing in motion picture. :(
Anime cliffhangers tease me all the time!

Sep 23, 2010 8:34 PM

Mar 2010
Queen_Stars said:
Rasco said:
Queen_Stars said:

I know th mang is still going, yet there is still a lot of material to cover; an anime could go for years without catching up.

I'm actually (almost) up to date on the Berserk manga, yet I'd just love to see the whole thing in motion picture. :(

wow seriously there like hundred of chapters and thousand of pages, Im just on Ch.13 so far, Yes motion picture is better saves more time adds music and other great stuff, now i have to make all the swoosh sound in my imagination.

But my feels.
Sep 24, 2010 2:54 PM

Jul 2009
Rasco said:
Queen_Stars said:
Rasco said:
Queen_Stars said:

wow seriously there like hundred of chapters and thousand of pages, Im just on Ch.13 so far, Yes motion picture is better saves more time adds music and other great stuff, now i have to make all the swoosh sound in my imagination.

I just didicate a little time to it now and again.
I'm up to 27, yet after around 33, the large volumes stop and they become easy-to-follow (around) 17 page mothly's. ;)
There's a great manga site named Mangapark, which has a scroll feature; it saves a lot of time.

Sep 26, 2010 11:55 AM

Aug 2009
Oh shit , all these 6 pages = just people who complain a lot

I'm sick. Berserk is fuckin' great , and that ending wasn't that bad. Be happy with what you've got , because it's 2010 and nobody seems to be interested in doing a new Berserk anime or a second season. I'm happy , because this was the best action anime that i ever watched. No fillers , no kids jokes , no <15 years old main characters.

9/10

I have to read the manga.
Sep 27, 2010 12:39 PM

Nov 2007
I remember all those years ago what made this anime so great was that it ended with what seemed to be like the bad guys winning, because that mostly never happens. I loved Guts. The dude was kickass awesome, but still it was nice to see something unexpected happened in an anime for once, and that was the ending of Berserk for me.
Sep 27, 2010 5:33 PM

Mar 2010
Queen_Stars said:
Rasco said:
Queen_Stars said:
Rasco said:
Queen_Stars said:

I just didicate a little time to it now and again.
I'm up to 27, yet after around 33, the large volumes stop and they become easy-to-follow (around) 17 page mothly's. ;)
There's a great manga site named Mangapark, which has a scroll feature; it saves a lot of time.

Oh cool thanks for the great site This really helped me a lot, Im diffinantly going to use it XD

But my feels.
Sep 28, 2010 8:27 AM

Jun 2008
What a fucked up episode. Go die and rot somewhere, Griffith.

Lord_Summoner said:
someone revive this anime once again, I want to see Griffith dead!
Don't worry, there willl be a second series.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Oct 8, 2010 7:23 PM
Apr 2010
Casca..the chick got raped twice in 5mins
Looked like she enjoyed the second one though O.o
Sent with Mal Updater
Oct 14, 2010 2:22 PM

Jul 2007
Woah. I actually watched this so that I knew some of the story when I moved onto the manga, and god, do I need to read the manga now. I just - what a mindfuck.

Casca's rape scene was just - uncomfortable to watch. Damn, and to think Griffith was the one who saved her from that way back in the beginning :(

9/10.

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
Oct 24, 2010 11:29 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
What a mind blowing episode.

Nov 4, 2010 2:56 AM

Aug 2010
Great ending and it's much better than the full ending. I like that way in the Anime when you don't know the real ending.
Nov 11, 2010 10:26 AM
Aug 2010
the manga is epic the only downfall is that once you get into it nothing else will satisfy you. you will always compare every other manga with this one.
Nov 11, 2010 10:28 AM
Aug 2010
wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no skull knight
Dec 5, 2010 7:43 PM
Jul 2008
Skull knight was missing.
Dec 13, 2010 3:32 AM

Apr 2010
The ending was cliffhanger... I wonder how Guts escaped, if Casca is still Alive...what's up with Griffith now? Lot's of questions...but happy me I heard there will be a remake of Berserk... I couldn't be happier than this xD
Dec 17, 2010 11:16 AM

May 2010
Seriously, I didn't even think the anime was that great *until* the ending. I can't fathom what you all are whining about, because honestly this is one of, if not the, best endings I have ever seen in an anime. Are you that addicted to closure that when a masterpiece open ending slaps you in the face, you don't even notice? Pah.
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 30, 2010 2:42 PM
Nov 2009
screwed up ending *starts reading manga*
Jan 16, 2011 4:14 PM
Mar 2010
Wow what a random turn of events within the last 3 episodes. So twisted. I must go read the manga now so I can have closure on everything that has happened. Nice series hope for a season 2 at some point.
Jan 19, 2011 10:28 PM

Apr 2009
What Griffith did to the Band of the Hawk was horrible but also completely understandable. He really had no alternative. So it's kind of hard to muster up much hatred for him as opposed to say Harry in Gungrave. As for the ending, I think complaints of it are valid. It is rather abrupt, it could've at least shown Guts escaping instead ending where it was at.

Berserk was one of the classics I had never gotten around to seeing despite how highly it's regarded. After finishing I have to say the anime is overrated, I'm going to rate it a 7/10. However, it's obvious there is an amazing story and characters with depth that the anime did not quite deliver on.That's why I'm looking forward to the new series even if it is a remake because this is an amazing story and while I enjoyed this version it could've been done better in pretty much every regard - writing, animation, etc.

Except the appearance of the God Hand and these last few episodes. That was pretty horrific, disturbing, and absolutely awesome.
TeufelJan 20, 2011 7:48 PM
Jan 20, 2011 11:33 AM

Jun 2009
As someone who saw the anime before reading the manga i have to say that was the most unsatifying ending if had to endure since evangelion tv series.

If they had only produced an ova, or a few more episodes quickly taking the story a few chapters further (arund to guts receiving his new hand a sword and setting off for revengr) this show couldve been perfect.

Enjoying the manga thus far (onwards to volume 15)!
Jan 27, 2011 4:57 PM

Oct 2008
=/

Need to really read the manga now.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 30, 2011 8:35 PM

May 2009
Holy shit :O
Feb 4, 2011 12:27 AM
Nov 2010
What a cliffhanger...Now I HAVE to read the manga.
Feb 15, 2011 5:58 PM

Jun 2009
I still maintain that this is about as good an ending as this series could have possibly gotten.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 2, 2011 7:42 PM

Feb 2011
Did they really just end the anime on a cliff hanger....
Mar 3, 2011 12:54 PM

Jan 2010
I actually liked the anime until the ending. They never showed what happended to the kid who found all the injured people dead and gone.

They bever showed the black knight who saved Casca and Guts in the end.

How do they show Guts losing his eye (not how it really happeded btw) and Casca getting raped. They even skipped her last words. (she didn't die though)

Then after the credits they show him leaving with his new big sword never showing Casca again. It was kind of set up for a mew season but it can end the way it did too. Since they didnt show how they were saved or the black knights words to Guts there was no real set up to continue.

To those who don't like the manga I promise you once you get past the intial 4-5 volumes it gets alot better. Its a very hard read early on. I almost dropped but I heard many good things so i stuck with it.
A man who knows nothing and says something IS the dumbest person alive. A man who knows something and says nothing could possibly be the smartest person in the world -Unknown

Mar 3, 2011 1:01 PM

Jan 2010
insan3soldiern said:
I still maintain that this is about as good an ending as this series could have possibly gotten.

How so? They show eveyone being killed Casca raped and Guts watching. THEN after the credits he's walking out of the blacksmiths place like nothing had happened.? The best ending possible who have been showing how they got saved and taken to the blacksmiths place. That would have been a good ending. Tjis ending leaves you with too many questions. Manga readers and non-manga readers agree.
A man who knows nothing and says something IS the dumbest person alive. A man who knows something and says nothing could possibly be the smartest person in the world -Unknown

Mar 18, 2011 8:37 PM

Aug 2009
wtf, strong ending
May 10, 2011 7:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That was one of the most badass endings I've ever seen. Total despair on an unprecedented scale.
Pippin, Judeaux, Casca. All gone.

But episode 1 really is an epilogue of sorts, so it seems that Guts is a one man army going after Griffith.

Still numb. Gripping stuff.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 19, 2011 6:29 PM

Apr 2009
What the hell. That was too much, even for me.
I can't believe mostly everyone died just like that.

Anyways, that was a pretty great ride.
Time to read the manga.
May 19, 2011 8:04 PM

Jun 2009
Marzan said:
That was one of the most badass endings I've ever seen. Total despair on an unprecedented scale.
Pippin, Judeaux, Casca. All gone.

But episode 1 really is an epilogue of sorts, so it seems that Guts is a one man army going after Griffith.

Still numb. Gripping stuff.

I'm not sure what episode you were watching but...Casca didn't die. In fact it was only her and Guts that lived.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 22, 2011 4:02 AM

Sep 2010
insan3soldiern said:
I'll probably never forget the sight of Guts being held down with a claw crushing his eye screaming in agony while he watches Casca being raped. It made me cringe, it made me shake my head, and even though I understood Griffith's reasoning in all this it made hate him. I understood the series title in that one scene.

Seriously, I felt the same exact way. You can't help but feel for Guts and his plight in that situation. And at the same time, feel an overwhelming sense of disgust and hate towards Griffith. I had this sick feeling in my gut. It's a pretty fucked up series of moments to watch, and I almost wanted to look away but somehow couldn't.

Overall, I had to give the series a 9/10. Just because it didn't keep completely true to the manga, and it did leave you with a pretty shitty cliffhanger. Still, I don't think that should stop anyone from watching this amazing anime (or reading the manga). I honestly can't wait until the movies/OVA's start coming out. The footage in the teasers alone, looks extremely well done. And I for one am glad that they are doing what seems to be a complete remake (staying true to the manga) instead of a continuation from the end of episode 25. Since they'll hopefully be able to keep with the extremely mature content present in the manga, it truly will be a masterpiece.
May 25, 2011 1:19 AM

Apr 2009
10/10
Love this kind of endings.
Yeah, it's shocking and kinda looks incomplete at first, but when you think about it more, it makes perfect sense.=]
May 28, 2011 6:19 AM

Jun 2008
Feel so sorry for Casca, just as she changed and fell for Guts for good, could be together.

Will start buying Berserk manga, I want all volumes, that had been released!
May 30, 2011 1:51 PM

Sep 2009
A few minor complaints.
The ending leaving off as Guts is held down then suddenly skipping to him getting a new sword with the Smith...and setting out on his ultimate journey of revenge.

Torn about whether I like it. It gives us enough information to work out what happened but at the same time feels a little empty.
It feels like they should have squeezed out another two to three minutes.

Perhaps even given us something about Guts waking up from his Flashback...of which the last twenty four episodes were.
After all we KNOW Guts survived. We had the first episodes point blank telling us that. The only thing it leaves to the imagination is how he escapes...not exactly very "open ended."

I disagree with the majority here. The last three episodes were quite frankly the series strongest points. Grifiths fall was very well done.

EDIT:
Oh hey. So the only members of the Band of the Hawks that survived are...I'm guessing Caska. I have no idea if she survived her rape or not.
Guts obviously.
And Rickett? The little bastard wasn't specifically shown dieing.
SabinleroseMay 30, 2011 1:55 PM
Jun 12, 2011 12:38 PM

Oct 2007
I just got around to watching this after it had been on my list to watch for like 6 years. ^^ OMG. I loved it except obviously I wish there was more animated series. But I'm up for some manga reading...

But holy crap, that was just creepy when the Griffith "Thing" raped Caska and the ENTIRE TIME stared right into Guts's eyes (or eye really). Can you say EVIL? >.>
Jun 13, 2011 5:44 PM
Jun 2011
i like this anime and thought it was very good. but to anybody who wants to start reading the manga start at page one. the anime and manga are different.

there is a second apostle at the start of the manga and Guts back story starts about 3 volumes in (average of 220 pages per volume) and his back story runs for about 10 volumes. the relationships are built alot better between guts and Caska, Guts and Griffith.

i am currently reading volume 30 and stopped reading it to watch the anime only to notice all the changes in it. this is a manga that i would recommend to anybody
Jun 13, 2011 8:28 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, what a journey! This show slowly got better and better until now it's one of my favorites. I thought the ending was gripping, but like many others, having so many unanswered questions just brought it down a little. I suppose this is as good a reason as any to start my first manga.

What really stood out was how much the characters changed, and how natural it felt. This is the first anime that I can say that about (at least, the first I really noticed it). At the start, I was kinda indifferent towards Guts, but I was on-board with Griffith right away. There was a guy with everything in order, a fine leader with admirable aspirations, and at the end of it all, he becomes the villain and Guts the admirable one. It was quite a statement about where sticking to your principles will sometimes take you.

The only thing that felt kinda forced to me was how quickly Griffith lost his head after Guts left. I realize he meant a lot to Griffith, but damn, to throw it all away after coming so far... Especially with the war being over, as that's where Guts would be most useful.

Anyway, Berserk gets a 9/10 from me, just a great show with good action, excellent character development and some surprisingly profound philosophy (I'm thinking of episodes 10 & 14).

P.S., if anyone didn't watch the outtakes, you're doing yourself a great disservice. They are some of the best I've ever seen.
Jun 17, 2011 8:13 AM

Dec 2010
Whoo what a wild ride this anime has been. I have read a few times that the manga takes forever to come out, oh well better start reading. Fantastic ending to continue to manga. 10/10!

Too bad this stuff is "too deep/mature" and "intellectual" for the kids/teenagers. It should be way more popular than stuff like naruto/bleach indeed...
Jun 18, 2011 8:33 AM

Apr 2011
One crazy wild ride indeed. I was thrilled to see Berserk actually live up to the hype for once. The last arc did feel somewhat rushed, especially the final episode. It was quite the depressing way to wrap things up, ending with Griffith becoming a Demon King and Casca getting raeped multiple times (by tentacles no less), while Guts loses his forearm and an eye, since watching all his companions die wasn't a painful enough experience by itself.

Speaking of, I thought they were going to kill Casca when she was slowly being lowered (crotch-first) onto that spike ... couldn't believe that's how they were going to kill her off. That might have been preferable to being raped by Demon Griffith tho, and probably killed anyway once he'd had his way with her.

I wonder how Guts escaped that dire situation ... he was being pinned down by five different demons and nobody seemed likely to let him go free after Griffith had his fun. Maybe Zodd intervened again. Speaking of which, I'm disappointed that while Zodd did return briefly near the end, we never saw a rematch with Guts.

I'm definitely wanting to read the manga now, to continue the story and see what all the changed or cut out.

9/10
Blind_GuardianJun 18, 2011 8:36 AM
Jun 22, 2011 6:49 PM

Aug 2009
Alright, the ending was a little wtf but I still liked it. It was really gutsy (lol) to end it like that, small budget or not.

The music I also loved, I really hope Susumu Hirasawa returns for the new movie/OVA adaptations this year. I can't wait!!!

In the meantime, I'll start reading the manga =)

10/10

Oh, and Femto looks like Batman =D
ZepwichJun 23, 2011 4:27 AM
Jun 26, 2011 7:18 PM

Dec 2010
9/10

Berserk was great, the only thing I didn't like was this ending, it left a lot of question unanswered. I guess I'll read the manga now
Jun 30, 2011 12:40 PM

Sep 2009
Great ending to a series that definitely lived up to the hype. I am insane now btw o_O Eh but anyways, now I must read the manga and I'm super excited to hear that a movie is in the works.
not a job creator

Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Berserk Golden Age Sequel

18927 - Apr 21

22 by eaten-apple »»
Apr 22, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

76 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

78 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 11:23 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

82 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 10:43 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

87 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.