Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Satisfaction and Expectation Ranking for Autumn and Winter Anime

New
Jan 14, 2010 8:24 AM

Feb 2008
Dengeki Online released the results of the anime fans' votes on the best anime aired this autumn and the most aniticipated anime to be aired this winter. The vote was carried out from December 24th - January 6th.

"Satisfaction" Ranking for Autumn Titles in 2009 (expectation ranks are in parentheses)
*1, (*1) Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
*2, (*8) Nyan Koi!
*3, (*2) Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini
*4, (19) Sora no Otoshimono
*5, (**) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
*6, (18) Kimi ni Todoke
*7, (**) Dragon Ball Kai
*8, (*5) Seitokai no Ichizon
*9, (**) Umineko no Naku Koro ni
10, (16) Tentai Senshi Sunred 2

ref."Expectation" Ranking for Autumn Titles in 2009

"Expectation" Ranking for Winter Titles in 2010
*1, Hidamari Sketch x ☆☆☆
*2, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
*3, Durarara!!
*4, Nodame Cantabile Finale
*5, Ookami Kakushi
*6, Ladies versus Butlers!
*7, Katanagatari
*8, So・Ra・No・Wo・To
*9, Gyagu Manga Biyori +
10, Cobra the Animation

Source: Dengeki
myanimelistllcAug 31, 2016 5:01 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2010 8:46 AM

Jul 2009
Ohoh. Nyan Koi number 2 and Sunred made the list. Japan has good tastes.

I'm pumped for Hidamari 3 as well! I'm interested in Baka to Test now that I see it has some following...
Jan 14, 2010 8:49 AM

Jun 2009
how did otoshimono make the top list?! nyan koi, darker than black, and railgun were awesome though
lol at 11eyes being on top expected and not making satisfaction list
Jan 14, 2010 8:57 AM

Feb 2008
iday12 said:
how did otoshimono make the top list?! nyan koi, darker than black, and railgun were awesome though
lol at 11eyes being on top expected and not making satisfaction list
Sora no Otoshimono has fantastic execution. It's a rather simple story that could've easily plummeted into fanservice hell but the creators stuck by it and made it... honest.
Whether that is the reason for the satisfaction rank, I'm not sure, but it's definitely not a bad show.

Also, yay Sunred 2 and no Bund? Guess the Japanese share my fears about it not being good.
Jan 14, 2010 9:01 AM

Apr 2009
I can't imagine being satisfied with Umineko.
Jan 14, 2010 9:07 AM

Aug 2008
Jan 14, 2010 9:21 AM
Dec 2008
shinkeikaku said:
No Kuuchuu Buranko? Fail
Jan 14, 2010 10:05 AM

Nov 2008
that was A nice list
Jan 14, 2010 10:13 AM

Feb 2008
shinkeikaku said:
No Kuuchuu Buranko? Fail
I wasn't really that impressed with it.
Jan 14, 2010 10:15 AM

Dec 2009
They weren't expecting such a high rating with Sora no Otoshimono and Kimi ni Todoke, but they wen't as high as 4 & 6.

I want to se how the Winter list turns out to be.
Jan 14, 2010 10:18 AM
Jun 2008
That Railgun is first and not Kimi ni Todoke just reminds me what terrible taste Japanese anime fans have.

Oh well, they never like actual good anime. Just whichever ones you can get the most collectibles from and which satisfy the most fetishes.
Jan 14, 2010 10:46 AM
Nov 2007
tehnominator said:
That Railgun is first and not Kimi ni Todoke just reminds me what terrible taste Japanese anime fans have.

Oh well, they never like actual good anime. Just whichever ones you can get the most collectibles from and which satisfy the most fetishes.
Generalising leads to comments full of fail. :O
Jan 14, 2010 10:52 AM

Aug 2009
Yay, Railgun! Japan, you rock.
Jan 14, 2010 10:56 AM

Oct 2007
Railgun, #1? You must be kidding. The first episode was brilliant but overall its a complete failure as a series.
Jan 14, 2010 11:15 AM

Feb 2007
I am happy Sunred made it into the top 10.

Jan 14, 2010 11:16 AM
Jun 2008
radiantfire said:
tehnominator said:

Rebuttals to proved generalisations and lack of understanding of the Japanese market and audience leads to comments full of clear-cut ignorance. I suppose I should add a cutesy emoticon and try to be ironic.
Jan 14, 2010 11:27 AM

Nov 2007
Railgun and Nyan 1 and 2? you better be fucking kiddin' me.

Railgun has been uber disappointment ever after episode 1, and nyan koi wasn't funny at all. and was just another stupid harem anime.

Kimi ni Todoke, FMA:B should have been the top 2. I know japanese are dumb enough to understand Kemono no souja Erin, so there is no point talking about it, when undoubtedly it was by far, one of the best anime of recent years. Also, Seitokai no Ichizon should be well above Railgun and Nyan, because it grabbed fans attention despite being a "one room" show.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 14, 2010 11:45 AM

Aug 2008
Compared to some of their previous expectation rankings, this seasons actually seems to be a hell of a lot more accurate that usual. Although lol at LvB at #6. The Japanese seem pretty excited for mutant crossaints posing as pigtails
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Jan 14, 2010 11:50 AM

Jun 2009
Hidamari Sketch x ☆☆☆ as #1 for winter?!?! This series is a decent (I guess) slice of life series but sometimes it feels like I'm watching paint dry. I figured So・Ra・No・Wo・To would be higher since all the K-On! fans would already be fapping to it.

Can't really comment on Autumn series since I haven't seen anything but Dragonball Kai; which isn't anything new.
Jan 14, 2010 11:53 AM

Dec 2008
The very idea of a "satisfaction" rating addressing the popularity of shows from season to season is silly to the point of irrelevance (however "accurate" it might be (lol otaku)), in my opinion. The last new show that I truly loved, one that actually gives me some hope for anime, was Kaiba—I'd like to know where that appeared on the "satisfaction" list for the season it was aired. Probably very low, while something as bad as this Railgun show most likely topped the list.

radiantfire said:
tehnominator said:

Uh, right, except that she speaks the truth.
Jan 14, 2010 12:03 PM
Jul 2018

Yes! Asumittsu!
Jan 14, 2010 12:43 PM
Dec 2008
i dotn know what you ppl are complaining about, but
railgun deserves to be 1st
or maybe you americans have fail taste in anime
after all, anime is made by japanese
Jan 14, 2010 2:06 PM

Mar 2008
Glad that Sora no Otoshimono made it to the list (a huge jump in ranks too). Certainly a must watch for those who have yet to see it :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2010 2:28 PM

Sep 2008
Quite surprised that Kimi ni Todoke made it to the top 10. Granted, it's much better than most shoujo anime, but it's still shoujo, so it has, like, over 9000 times less fans than 90% of other anime out there. But it probably won't sell anyway.

And I guess the attempt to make the adaptations of japanese classic literature for younger generation failed, since Aoi Bungaku isn't there. I won't say all of them were very good adaptations, but it's still somewhat sad. :(

As for the expectations list, well, it's nice to see Hidamari Sketch on the first place.
Jan 14, 2010 3:55 PM
Jan 2010
/deleted at request of the poster
Jan 14, 2010 4:06 PM

Apr 2009
Yay for kimi ni todoke!
Got expectations for Baka.

Jan 14, 2010 4:22 PM

Sep 2008
Ehhhh where's Hanamaru on the list. =[
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2010 6:01 PM

Sep 2008
biribiri \o/
Jan 14, 2010 7:58 PM
Dec 2008
Zuminori said:
kaena said:
i dotn know what you ppl are complaining about, but
railgun deserves to be 1st
or maybe you americans have fail taste in anime
after all, anime is made by japanese

wrhahahahahaha...

just cant stop laughing

if you are laughing cuz you think im correct, then im glad someone knows anime
if you are laughing cuz you think im wrong, then you need to review what good anime is
Jan 14, 2010 8:01 PM

Dec 2008
kaena said:
if you are laughing cuz you think im correct, then im glad someone knows anime
if you are laughing cuz you think im wrong, then you need to review what good anime is

You don't know good anime, going by your favorites and ratings, weeaboo.

Pipe down.
Jan 14, 2010 9:30 PM

Sep 2008
tehnominator said:

Completely agree. FMA and Kimi deserve the top spots the most IMO. (I would include Cross game and Trapeze as well)
velcomJan 14, 2010 9:33 PM
Jan 14, 2010 10:00 PM

Aug 2009
Yes umineko falls down. I'm not sure about Railgun yet, since I'm just watching indexuu now.

Hidamari on top? It's same thing as when Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei was on the third of expectation list. Meh.

So far, Baka to test to shoukanjuu was very impressive. So does Durarara. Dance in the Vampire bund not on the list, which makes me feel better somehow. (I don't know.) Ookami Kakushi is unexpectedly high ._.

and, I repeat this;
Usami-Haru said:
shinkeikaku said:
No Kuuchuu Buranko? Fail
Jan 14, 2010 10:46 PM
Nov 2007
tehnominator said:
Rebuttals to proved generalisations and lack of understanding of the Japanese market and audience leads to comments full of clear-cut ignorance. I suppose I should add a cutesy emoticon and try to be ironic.

Your generalisations aren't proven as in this case your generalisations are based on your subjective preference.

Subjective views should remain subjective: Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

And ignorance? lol. Perhaps you are the one being ignorant with your rather elitist exclaim.

A certain user also exemplifies such an attitude:
You don't know good anime, going by your favorites and ratings, weeaboo.

Pipe down.
radiantfireJan 14, 2010 10:56 PM
Jan 14, 2010 10:57 PM

Nov 2006
I'm rather surprised that Umineko got the top 10. My hate for it aside, I honestly thought it would be lower because of the poor DVD sales, etc.

Railgun is better than I was expecting so I'm happy for it. Excited for upcoming Accel arc.
Jan 15, 2010 4:28 AM

Feb 2009
brb, waiting till animes made tastefully sit on top of these rankings.
Jan 15, 2010 6:57 AM

Apr 2008
Railgun 1st and Nyan Koi 2nd? Good joke! Oh... it's not a joke.
Jan 15, 2010 7:13 AM
Jun 2008
Edit because I don't feel like getting into any more arguments on MAL.

Ooh, Railgun is first!? Sugoi!
tehnominatorJan 15, 2010 8:25 AM
Jan 15, 2010 7:44 AM

Dec 2008
radiantfire said:
A certain user also exemplifies such an attitude

What, too shy to address me directly?

I believe you fail to understand what elitism is, if you take such issue with someone making a "generalization" that is by and large true. To begin with, tehnominator's claim was hardly "elitist"—it's a fairly simply known fact that otaku will eat up bad anime littered with marketable tropes. As a moderator on a site like this, you probably ought to be aware of that, unless of course you're one of those otaku (or rather, the western version of that) and you take offense at a such a vastly true "generalization". Which is: otaku like bad anime. How else do you think it sells? It panders to obsessive fans with poor tastes. Do you actually think that because it sells a lot, that makes it good, thereby diminishing tehno's claim as "elitist"?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is irrelevant. This may be an elitist attitude of sorts, but that doesn't mean it's not right. The aim of elitism is not to engender ignorance, but rather the opposite. Try to understand this before you go throwing around more "fail" comments, which is not classy at all coming from a moderator.
zenoslimeJan 15, 2010 7:50 AM
Jan 15, 2010 7:59 AM

Sep 2008
antitype said:
>>>it's a fairly simply known fact that otaku will eat up bad anime littered with marketable tropes.

>>>otaku like bad anime.

Now this is extremely elitist comment. It's not a fact that otaku like bad anime. It's your friggin' subjective personal opinion dictated by your personal taste and nothing more. Just because you like different anime from the majority of "otaku" doesn't make your personal taste superior to others. And what is good taste in your opinion, could easily be bad taste in the opinion of other people. You're not a little kid, you should understand that if you have even a little bit of common sense.
It's not elitist to say some anime is bad. It's elitist to say (or imply) other people's taste is inferior to yours.

tehnominator said:

The first point I made was why the Japanese audience didn't even seem to make a blip for actual anime with heart like Kimi ni Todoke and Cross Game, and paraphernalia and otaku satisfaction is clearly the answer.

Where's the proof that Kimi ni Todoke and Cross Game is an "actual anime with heart"? It's just your personal opinion as well. You think those two have "heart", some people think Railgun and Nyan Koi have "heart". Some people even think all four of those have "heart", and definitely, some people think none of those have "heart". So, who is right and who is wrong? And is there a way to prove one's right? It's impossible, no matter how you try.

Verdict: "personal opinion" =/= "facts".
Jan 15, 2010 8:17 AM

Dec 2008
seishi-sama said:
It's not a fact that otaku like bad anime. It's your friggin' subjective personal opinion dictated by your personal taste and nothing more. Just because you like different anime from the majority of "otaku" doesn't make your personal taste superior to others.

I don't speak for tehno, but I wasn't exactly denying that I am quite elitist; however, I do believe that my argument that otaku buy tons of anime that is littered with marketable tropes is an absolutely indisputable fact. It is exactly how this industry is thriving more than it ever has. Therefore, my "friggin' subjective personal opinion" is dictated by personal tastes plus facts. That I think said easily marketable anime is more often than not worthless (bearing the rare exception) despite its POPULARITY—that is my opinion, though I believe I am correct, of course. I don't expect this to be a favorable opinion among most users on this site.

seishi-sama said:
Just because you like different anime from the majority of "otaku" doesn't make your personal taste superior to others.

Naturally, I disagree. :) I don't claim to have "absolutely superior" tastes or anything so ridiculous, but I see that an awful lot of anime is bad, meant to be little more than marketable product, full of the tropes and fetishes that will pander to and SATISFY its loyal customers. It's not like I want things to be this way. I don't get the impression you completely grasp the ideas behind genuine elitism, though.
zenoslimeJan 15, 2010 8:26 AM
Jan 15, 2010 8:35 AM
Jun 2008
seishi-sama said:

Where's the proof that Kimi ni Todoke and Cross Game is an "actual anime with heart"? It's just your personal opinion as well. You think those two have "heart", some people think Railgun and Nyan Koi have "heart". Some people even think all four of those have "heart", and definitely, some people think none of those have "heart". So, who is right and who is wrong? And is there a way to prove one's right? It's impossible, no matter how you try.

Verdict: "personal opinion" =/= "facts".

Let's put your theory to the test then.

Van Gogh:

Me:

Both art.

Now which one was done with heart and which one wasn't?

I have no doubt that something like Nyan Koi was made with glee by its creators who wanted to create an anime that entertained. But come on-- you seriously want to compare a ecchi harem series that was supposedly about cat curses to an actually heart-warming love story?

I liked Nyan Koi, btw.
Jan 15, 2010 8:40 AM

Nov 2008
Meh, there's no Aoi Bungaku in it...
Jan 15, 2010 8:42 AM
Jan 2008
I thought Seitokai would have a higher rank though. Loved the gags. Ending was a bit meh.
Nyan Koi is ok, but getting #2 is a bit overkill.
Railgun being #1 is to be expected. Also packs the best theme songs for the season. Some who shot down Railgun with such enthusiasm haven't even reached a third of the episodes aired. durr.

Gee flying pantsu hit #4.
Jan 15, 2010 9:29 AM

Nov 2007
Oh, Japan.

This list is full of facepalm.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jan 15, 2010 12:05 PM

Feb 2009
Wow.

Ookami Kakushi has a good lot riding on it...that's sad. D:
SoneAnnaJan 15, 2010 12:36 PM
Jan 15, 2010 9:36 PM
Nov 2007
@tehnominator and antitype:

To simply define elitist as genuiely as you can would remark a failure to grasp the metaphorical representation of the word/idea. That said, I was using it as a lateral expression and not a literal one.

What I was addressing was the fact that you two place your preference above a group of people who do not share the same preference as you two. It is a conceited attitude - one that certainly has no place here at MAL.

Any opinion based on subjective preference is neither right nor wrong. I reference seishi-sama's reply: "And what is good taste in your opinion, could easily be bad taste in the opinion of other people."

Let's put your theory to the test then.

Theory? lol.
Jan 15, 2010 10:28 PM

Dec 2008
radiantfire said:
What I was addressing was the fact that you two place your preference above a group of people who do not share the same preference as you two. It is a conceited attitude - one that certainly has no place here at MAL.

Guy, everybody does this. People are opinionated. But really, effectively what you're saying here, if you're paying any attention to the context of the conversation, is that the only people welcome at MAL are those who never think critically, and always gleefully approve of every last thing that becomes popular simply because... it's popular? Sorry, but I enjoy this site, and I figure I have just as much right to use it as anyone else. My "conceit" has nothing to do with it.

Pretty much the only person making any ostensibly personal attacks here was you, a moderator, with your "full of fail" comments toward tehno. And you want to talk about what belongs on MAL? Don't make me laugh.

radiantfire said:
Any opinion based on subjective preference is neither right nor wrong.

You, uh, seem to be having trouble staying with the conversation. Let me run it by you again:

seishi-sama said:
It's your friggin' subjective personal opinion dictated by your personal taste and nothing more.

antitype said:
I do believe that my argument that otaku buy tons of anime that is littered with marketable tropes is an absolutely indisputable fact. It is exactly how this industry is thriving more than it ever has. Therefore, my "friggin' subjective personal opinion" is dictated by personal tastes plus facts.

You see how that works?

radiantfire said:
I reference seishi-sama's reply: "And what is good taste in your opinion, could easily be bad taste in the opinion of other people."

Do you really expect this to mean anything to me? Do you even realize how irrelevant this is? Obviously, I believe these people are wrong (though it's not always that simple—I talk with a lot of people who like different things from me; they have different opinions on things and different tastes, but tastes that I can appreciate (and then there are those who are just so wrong that they're just wrong)). This is the nature of opinions—they lend themselves to agreement or disagreement. Are we not supposed to talk about them? Not that I care for your opinion on the matter at this point.
Jan 15, 2010 10:49 PM

Feb 2008
dtshyk said:
*1, (*1) Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

wwwww
Jan 15, 2010 11:03 PM
Nov 2007
@antitype:

That comment was geared towards her generalisation, not her. It wasn't in the same league as these comments:
- What, too shy to address me directly?
- ...which is not classy at all coming from a moderator.

Those are personal attacks.

Also, read that particular comment properly. Her opinion is based on results published by a magazine and she has taken no consideration towards how big the population sampled was, the characteristics of that sample, the measuring system used, nor any other results that parallel the findings. It was a weak generalisation - one that was based on subjective opinion and not fact.

Show me facts. Give me statistics and/or studies that enforce your points.
Jan 15, 2010 11:21 PM

Jul 2008
radiantfire said:

Dude, I'm not even sure what you're arguing about anymore. If you want to get very technical about "elitism", you were being elitist when you called out tehnominator on page one;

radiantfire said:

You're saying that someone else's opinion (that Kimi no Todoke deserves to be number one, or that otaku have taste governed by things outside of pure quality) is "fail".

I don't know; sounds pretty elitist to me.

Personally, I don't have a problem with elitism. If there was no elitism, then the only logical conclusion is that "Mars of Destruction" is every bit as great of an anime as "Cowboy Bebop".

However, since you do have an issue with this, it bears pointing out that you're guilty of the exact same behavior.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
60 minutes ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
2 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
4 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.