Forum Settings
Forums

Kodansha Suspends 'Himo Zairu' Manga Following Criticism of Depiction of Men

New
Oct 26, 2015 12:17 AM

Jul 2009
Editors of Kodansha's Morning Two magazine announced on Wednesday that they have suspended the serialization of Akiko Higashimura's manga Himo Zairu due to online criticism surrounding its premise.

Kodansha had published two chapters of the manga in the October and November issues of the magazine before suspending it in the December issue at Higashimura's request. The publisher had urged her to continue the series despite the criticism.

According to the Asahi Shimbun, Himo Zairu depicts men in training who are searching for girlfriends with good jobs. These men have big dreams but little money and few skills, so they try to make themselves more attractive to working women by becoming adept at things such as housework.

Higashimura created the series with her male assistant based on actual experiences of these men, but critics accused her of looking down on her assistant and models. Higashimura intends to continue the series and will re-examine the plot until she feels it is ready for publication once again.

Akiko Higashimura was awarded the Manga Taisho in March 2015 for Kakukaku Shikajika. She was previously nominated four times for the award, including for Kuragehime, which was adapted into a TV anime in 2010.

Source: Asahi Shimbun Asia & Japan Watch
NaruleachOct 26, 2015 9:33 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 26, 2015 12:21 AM

Apr 2013
Ha. Too funny.
Oct 26, 2015 12:24 AM

Apr 2014
That actually sounds like a fun read.
Oct 26, 2015 12:24 AM
May 2012
lol. manga sounds like shit anyway so it's no big deal.
Oct 26, 2015 12:28 AM

Sep 2012
So what where the actual complaints?

"Criticism on the depiction of men" could be anything from "this author has a very low opinion of men" to "I don't like the male characters in this manga".

Without the specifics this is useless.

I have a hunch that she wanted to convey a certain message, or touch upon certain themes, but the reaction wasn't what she expected and people weren't getting it like she intended, so she's rewriting it to make it clearer. I can't imagine a successful mangaka would cave in under a few comments about it being "offensive", especially in Japan where there are literally hundreds of examples of men being "depicted" in terrible ways.
Red_KeysOct 26, 2015 12:32 AM
Oct 26, 2015 12:29 AM

Dec 2013
Sounds like a terrible manga lol
Oct 26, 2015 12:30 AM

Apr 2014
Protaku94 said:

Yeah it does, would probably get a few laughs out of it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2015 12:32 AM

Aug 2015
Good... a manga that degrade Men...
Men is the superior gender, we all should band together to prevent this kind of insult
To assert our DOMINANCE !!!!
Oct 26, 2015 12:38 AM

May 2008
MeinKaiser said:
Good... a manga that degrade Men...
Men is the superior gender, we all should band together to prevent this kind of insult
To assert our DOMINANCE !!!!

For some reason, Prison School came to mind.
Oct 26, 2015 12:55 AM

Jun 2014
Protaku94 said:

Interesting to see it come under scrutiny.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Oct 26, 2015 12:58 AM

Jun 2014
Sounds like people were getting upset about the fact that these men were trying to make themselves attractive by doing housework, whilst the women went off working. If this is what the complaints were about, I will kick some serious ass right now.
Oct 26, 2015 1:00 AM

Jul 2012
This makes me want to read it.
Oct 26, 2015 1:01 AM

Jan 2011
I need more specifics. I've got a hunch that the complaints aren't very well grounded though.
Oct 26, 2015 1:16 AM

Apr 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Protaku94 said:

Interesting to see it come under scrutiny.

As a guy, I'm really not even sure if I'm supposed to like or dislike this manga just off the synopsis. But it does sound like a fresh idea I wouldn't mind checking out sometime.
Oct 26, 2015 1:45 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, I was not expecting this news but that's definitely some drama right there.
Oct 26, 2015 2:01 AM

Aug 2013
8man would definitely approve this manga.
Oct 26, 2015 2:02 AM

Dec 2013
Western "freedom of speech" is going to your town?

Red_Keys said:

True. This is lacking details, especially real citaions. My guess is Japanese NEET outrage.
Oct 26, 2015 2:07 AM

Jul 2013
Lel, kinda makes me want to read it, if only to laught at it.

Jpn people tend to go crazy of stupid things though, that is a given.
Oct 26, 2015 2:21 AM

Jul 2014
Anime and manga makes it seem like Japanese men are all neutered, so it surprises me that something made them (?) actually upset. Though it could be anything given the lack of info here.
Oct 26, 2015 2:42 AM

Oct 2015
Reading just the little blurb in the first post, my initial question is: Is there some other context that I'm missing or is this just further evidence that Japan still has a ways to go in terms of addressing sexism in their society?

Whatever the case may be, it's too bad this manga had to be suspended. Sounded like it could've been an interesting read.
Oct 26, 2015 2:47 AM

Mar 2014
Red_Keys said:
So what where the actual complaints?

"Criticism on the depiction of men" could be anything from "this author has a very low opinion of men" to "I don't like the male characters in this manga".

I have a hunch that she wanted to convey a certain message, or touch upon certain themes, but the reaction wasn't what she expected and people weren't getting it like she intended, so she's rewriting it to make it clearer. I can't imagine a successful mangaka would cave in under a few comments about it being "offensive", especially in Japan where there are literally hundreds of examples of men being "depicted" in terrible ways.
I bet people calling it bad (including in this thread) just relate too much and don't like facing reality.
:)
Oct 26, 2015 2:53 AM

Mar 2014
beaunaratau said:
Sounds like people were getting upset about the fact that these men were trying to make themselves attractive by doing housework, whilst the women went off working. If this is what the complaints were about, I will kick some serious ass right now.
Put that salt in their sandwich.
Oct 26, 2015 2:53 AM

Jul 2008
Companies, authors, comedians, etc should realize internet activists have no power at all already.

But as much as I'm against any kind of censoring at all, it's kind of funny to see it happen to the other side for once.

Oct 26, 2015 3:54 AM

Apr 2014
Akiko Higashimura have a certain bold side in her manga for sure .
She does also have that little arrogant side (and she is fully aware of it , as she use a lot of self derision and mockery)... But for me it's part of her charm and her style too .

So apparently when women are depicted as "filthy otaku" and absolute social failur ( Kuragehime ) it's completely fine , but when it's men it's not ?
Or should I say , it's not when it's a female author that do it...
I think that nail the point : a male author doing this wouldn't have caused any reaction or problem at all .

This manga look interesting and could be funny , I'll had it to my plan to read .
DullboyOct 26, 2015 3:57 AM
Oct 26, 2015 4:14 AM

Mar 2015
Oh dear, poor men. Even their admirable way of holding back emotions and brilliant logic wasn't enough for them to sit back and finish the manga without complaining.
Oct 26, 2015 4:41 AM

Apr 2012
Lol the japanese are a bunch of crazies. How come they never complain about the depiction of women in their manga/anime? And even men arent depicted particularly well, so why now? Oh well, people being pansies and getting offended at every shit again.
Oct 26, 2015 6:17 AM
Oct 2012
Quick disclaimer that I want to attach to this comment: I'm not familiar with this author's work. I'm aware that Kuragehime exists, but it's not a series I've read or know much about, so I've got no real precedent to base any suppositions on.

There's clearly a derisive element to this premise, and I can't quite gauge where it's directed. From what little this post tells us, it's difficult to determine whether the derision will be aimed at "self-neutering" men who think of little else but trying to impress women and who subsequently match their behaviour accordingly (if so, go ahead Higashimura-sensei), or will be sympathetic to supposed forcibly-neutered male characters and instead criticise the breakdown of traditional gender roles (difficult to fathom given the female author, but not impossible). There's also the possibility of the series reinforcing the notion of respecting empowered women as a negative trait, which we can arguably infer from the depiction of women on that cover art as potentially-mocking "high-society lady" caricatures.

Like I said though, I dunno what Higashimura's stuff is like.

What I do know is that the first piece of high-profile gender-centric controversy regarding anime and manga that I've ever seen concerns people getting angry about the depiction of men. This, from an industry that treats casual misogyny as a traditional thematic convention that they seem almost obsessive about preserving and justifying.

Where was the controversy over Kakumeiki Valvrave's rape scene or Triage X's drug-addled sex slaves? 'Cos those were pretty messed up.

Sigh...why can't more shows be like Kyousou Giga (TV) and just have awesome characters without any gendered asterisks attached?
Oct 26, 2015 6:44 AM

Apr 2012
Any news where manga is being stopped due to some humiliation/bullying are truly bad news, always difficult to read this. It is not how it should be.
Oct 26, 2015 7:57 AM

Dec 2007
There's a lot wrong with this, but I've never been a fan of censorship before, so why would I start now. Leave her alone and let her finish/continue writing her manga. If you aren't interested, just don't read it.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Oct 26, 2015 8:01 AM

May 2014
Sounds like shit...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2015 8:07 AM
Jul 2010
baki502 said:
Lol the japanese are a bunch of crazies. How come they never complain about the depiction of women in their manga/anime? And even men arent depicted particularly well, so why now? Oh well, people being pansies and getting offended at every shit again.

So.... if the Japanese really are crazies, then what does that make the people outside of Japan who like anime and manga? Last time I check that stuff comes straight from the Japanese people.
Oct 26, 2015 8:34 AM

Jul 2007
#facepalm

Yep, Japan still sexist and gender-normative as fuck.
Oct 26, 2015 8:45 AM

Sep 2013
This is a good thing.
Gotta kill any seed of feminism before it spreads.
Oct 26, 2015 8:49 AM

Nov 2008
Sounds like she overdid it a good deal

Another manga I can't remember the name was suspended due to a few misconceptions on autism and parents complained, but it was brought back pretty quickly and is actually recommended reading in Japan today.

I don't think this will come back though because it's more than a few misconceptions or challenging the norm.

Oct 26, 2015 10:01 AM

Apr 2012
shounenotaku said:
baki502 said:

So.... if the Japanese really are crazies, then what does that make the people outside of Japan who like anime and manga? Last time I check that stuff comes straight from the Japanese people.

This has nothing to do with anime and manga but the peoples attitudes that they put forth. But youre not totally wrong considering how bad and shit the content coming from japan partly is we who like it must have a few screws loose too.
Oct 26, 2015 10:02 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
With all the stuff coming from Japan, thats surprising that something like that gets suspended.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 26, 2015 10:08 AM

Jun 2014
what an awful society. Japan...

Oct 26, 2015 12:13 PM

Feb 2008
Japan as pathetic as ever. If this was offending, better ban all shoujo (where girls want to be abused) and light novels (where girls' brains are only capable of lusting for dicks). Japanese men are so beta, no wonder the birth rates are dying. Gaijins better move to Japan to show these poor women how actual men look like.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 26, 2015 12:29 PM

Apr 2011
I'm glad it's stopped publication

what kind of self respecting manga doesn't have lolis in it
Oct 26, 2015 1:20 PM

Dec 2013
Nickienator said:
Companies, authors, comedians, etc should realize internet activists have no power at all already.

In Japan manga and anime are alive now mostly thanks to NEET freaks or just freaks. Freaks are freaked out easily. They love to be portrayed like a MMO hero of a 90 level and a harem or just a harem, not pathetic creatures who seek for rich women. Yes, they pay = they have power.
Oct 26, 2015 3:24 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
It was always apparent that Japan still has ways to go with their gender equality, but this just puts the icing on the cake. Like... it's just manga. Too much salt.

Just let her continue, ffs. ōoku has a similar premise although not in a modern setting like Himo Zairu. And that was just fine.

What does the title Himo Zairu even mean?
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Oct 26, 2015 4:10 PM

Feb 2010
Akiko Higashimura is top notch and it's not as if she doesn't write other self-depreciating works regarding women.

Pity that Japan is still so far behind times for gender equality.
Oct 26, 2015 5:46 PM
Jul 2010
What's up with everyone saying Japan is behind in gender equality? what gender equality??????

It was just a bunch of whiny otaku men complaining about her work and she lost the battle the moment she decided to temporarily stop working on it. Her publisher even told her she should continue working on it despite the criticism.

I have no problem with what people say about the whiny otaku jackasses who criticized her work but to say that Japanese society is behind in gender equality? why don't you get off your high horses.
Oct 26, 2015 6:15 PM

Apr 2013
The fuck why?

Is there going to be a menimism movement now?

Brb committing sudoku fucking insecure men.
Oct 26, 2015 6:32 PM

Feb 2008
The comments in this thread are pretty gross.

It would be nice if (ignorant) westerners would stop applying their own country's standards and culture onto Japan, which is very historically different from the west. Japan does not care about western feminism; Japan cares about Japanese society. They are doing just fine with traditional gender roles and their embracing of femininity. Japanese women scarcely complain about their position, and when they do, it's for obvious problems such as sexual harassment which is very much against the law. One could even argue that Japanese women are idolised in their society. Just because they do not conform to western feminist values does not mean the men are sexist losers who hate women.

What happened with this manga is just a small, vocal group of otaku freaking out, just like they do with the idol industry, anime, eroge and so on. Acting like they are representative of all Japanese men is absolutely ridiculous. Most Japanese people would shake their head upon hearing about this as well.
Oct 26, 2015 6:53 PM

Apr 2012
controversial reads are always the best

Oct 26, 2015 7:15 PM

Apr 2015
LOL, too funny
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Oct 26, 2015 7:20 PM
Mar 2011
ZetaZaku said:
Japan as pathetic as ever. If this was offending, better ban all shoujo (where girls want to be abused) and light novels (where girls' brains are only capable of lusting for dicks). Japanese men are so beta, no wonder the birth rates are dying. Gaijins better move to Japan to show these poor women how actual men look like.

at lest wrre not prudes
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 26, 2015 7:31 PM

Oct 2010
This is just weird. I have no idea about this manga or her other works but Prison School is plenty worth of this kind of treatment as per content of it as shown in the anime.
Oct 27, 2015 12:23 AM

Apr 2013
So in the west it's feminism, in japan that was the contrary this time?
Also, the author herself choose to listen to the online complaints, so it's not like the editor refused to continue or that it was a scandal in the mass media or something.
If authors were to stop writing manga everytime someone complai nabout the way women are sexualized in that work, lots of manga would stop at the end of the first chapter.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

21 by deg »»
37 minutes ago

» 'Grendizer U' Unveils Supporting Cast, Second Promo for Summer 2024

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

3 by Catalano »»
37 minutes ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Announces Supporting Cast

Nioxys - Apr 28

9 by PlasticRobot »»
3 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

9 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
7 hours ago

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

37 by AkbarSenpai202 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.