Anime & Manga News

New Ghost in the Shell Anime Announced

by dtshyk
Jan 15, 2013 5:37 AM | 234 Comments
According to Young Magazaine, a new Ghost in the Shell anime was announced to be launched this year. The tile is "Ghost in the Shell ARISE". The official press conference will be held on February 12th.

Key visual of Ghost in the Shell ARISE

General Director: Kise Kazuchika (The office director of Production I.G, character designer of xxxHOLiC series)
Script: Ubukata Tow
Music: Cornelius

Source: Scan of Young Magazine

Ghost in the Shell: Arise on MAL

20 of 234 Comments Recent Comments

Looks great. Not quite as good SAC or the original film, but I'd say it's on par/better then Innocence so far. I'm just happy there's more Ghost in the Shell. It surprises me people can complain about this new adaptation when there are so few anime like this these days. Don't bite the hand that feeds.

Aug 30, 2013 11:19 AM by Fintan

Yay more sci-fi action. Looks like Major and Batou still aren't getting along hahaha.

Aug 30, 2013 11:16 AM by VioLink

Aug 30, 2013 11:02 AM by Stark700

I didnt see the problem with motokos new look.

Plus then is it really new? Look at as a progression of time.

Ezekiel said:
bergil said:
Motoko looks like a dude in the movie, like a woman in the SAC, like a teen model in the manga and like an angry teenager in the Arise.
She looks more like a human being in the '95 movie. I never liked that flat face with the undefined nose and pointed chin and the rigid purple hair in SAC. The new one looks too young and doesn't have the right curves, but the face appears to be shapelier at least. I'll have to see the movie to really judge.


Angry teenager may fit because she was upset that the person so most respected was killed and this was before she was a major and section 9.

Went solo, aka rebellious life stage.

Jul 27, 2013 5:41 PM by Air-Dragon

bergil said:
Motoko looks like a dude in the movie, like a woman in the SAC, like a teen model in the manga and like an angry teenager in the Arise.
She looks more like a human being in the '95 movie. I never liked that flat face with the undefined nose and pointed chin and the rigid purple hair in SAC. The new one looks too young and doesn't have the right curves, but the face appears to be shapelier at least. I'll have to see the movie to really judge.

Jul 5, 2013 12:23 PM by Ezekiel

can't wait for this. motoko looks like...hummm...yeah XD

May 10, 2013 2:30 AM by GiorgioAyanami

I cannot wait for this. Really excited for it. Ghost In The Shell is one of my favorite series of all time and the film is my second favorite film ever made (just slightly falls behind STALKER). I just REALLY REALLY hope they get an English dub for this ASAP. This is one of those series where the dub is infinitely better than the sub. In fact, the Japanese voice actors for this series are atrocious and never really fit any of the characters.

Apr 17, 2013 6:10 AM by MajinSaga

Loving the fact that it is a prequel, even if it is done badly, it won't tarnish the series as a whole. Liking the new style and the music as well, really looking forward to this.

Mar 29, 2013 8:27 PM by Synrite

Mar 29, 2013 7:56 PM by neontaster

I hope that Production I.G. will make another Ghost in the Shell OVA, this time with the old Masamune Shirow Manga Style. if they made Major look more like her Manga Counterpart it would get better reception. the Major looks more like Sasuke from Naruto if he had a sex change

Mar 11, 2013 1:03 PM by AlbinoNamekian

Ermagerd.

Mar 6, 2013 3:42 PM by Kasma

magmalord said:
IcecreamManwich said:
Which series of Ghost In The Shell is this a prequel to? SAC or the films series?

SAC is a prequel to the films.

No SAC and the movies have different timelines they have no connection to eachother other than that they are set in the same universe

Mar 6, 2013 12:50 PM by crimson_moon

magmalord said:
IcecreamManwich said:
Which series of Ghost In The Shell is this a prequel to? SAC or the films series?

SAC is a prequel to the films.


No, not at all. I'm confused as to how someone could think this. Aside from SAC being a prequel to Solid State Society, of course.

Mar 6, 2013 11:08 AM by Ston3_FreeN7

IcecreamManwich said:
Which series of Ghost In The Shell is this a prequel to? SAC or the films series?

SAC is a prequel to the films.

Mar 6, 2013 10:52 AM by magmalord

slicKrox said:
bergil said:
I thought we are talking about the character designs not what the characters wear. Besides, in the manga Motoko's outfits look similar to the ones in SAC.

And I thought we talking about anime, not manga. Outfit was part of that awffull new look/design of Motoko in SAC, that was also breaking some of the atmosphere. Thats why she was looking more like babe, rather than cyborg. In the movie, even if she was half naked, everything was looking natural. Of course, that did not stopped me to watch SAC, but all the time I was missing look of real Major Motoko. Sorry for my bad English >.>


I kind of agree with this. Though I generally prefer the TV series look, it's true that that default outfit she wore in SAC was kind of distracting, but it's not really big deal for me the more I see the series. The good news for you, though, is 2nd Gig does have that suit at all I believe.

Feb 19, 2013 2:12 PM by Ston3_FreeN7

Motoko looks like a dude in the movie, like a woman in the SAC, like a teen model in the manga and like an angry teenager in the Arise.

Feb 19, 2013 2:07 PM by bergil

bergil said:
I thought we are talking about the character designs not what the characters wear. Besides, in the manga Motoko's outfits look similar to the ones in SAC.

And I thought we talking about anime, not manga. Outfit was part of that awffull new look/design of Motoko in SAC, that was also breaking some of the atmosphere. Thats why she was looking more like babe, rather than cyborg. In the movie, even if she was half naked, everything was looking natural. Of course, that did not stopped me to watch SAC, but all the time I was missing look of real Major Motoko. Sorry for my bad English >.>

Feb 19, 2013 1:33 PM by slicKrox

slicKrox said:
bergil said:
You should get your eyesight checked.

Should I? Yeah, and bikini costume in SAC was really in "place".



Or



I thought we are talking about the character designs not what the characters wear. Besides, in the manga Motoko's outfits look similar to the ones in SAC.

Feb 19, 2013 1:11 PM by bergil

bergil said:
You should get your eyesight checked.

Should I? Yeah, and bikini costume in SAC was really in "place".



Or


Feb 19, 2013 1:02 PM by slicKrox

slicKrox said:
ashura said:
uhm i don't really like all this new character design...

Strange that somebody do not like fresh character design of Motoko, because it look much much better than SAC, there Matoko was looking more like babe, rather than cold cybork. Now her eyes and expression looks much closer who she supposed to be, like in original 1995 movie. After movie I actually never liked new design of Motoko in Stand Alone Complex.


You should get your eyesight checked.

Feb 19, 2013 9:56 AM by bergil