Anime & Manga News

NY Times Manga Best Seller List for for February 13-19

by Wintersun93
Feb 27, 2011 3:31 PM | 28 Comments
Graphic books best seller list (Manga & OEL) for February 13-19

1, Naruto, vol 50
2, Kuroshitsuji, vol 4
3, Black Bird, vol 7
4, Fullmetal Alchemist, vol 24
5, Bakuman, vol 3
6. Hetalia Axis Powers, vol 2
7, D.Gray-man, vol 20
8, Pandora Hearts, vol 4
9, Naruto, vol 49
10,Vampire Knight, vol 11

Source: NY Times Manga Best Seller List

20 of 28 Comments Recent Comments

3- Black Bird . vol 7
4- Fullmetal Alchemist . vol 24
7- D.Gray-man . vol 20

Great to see them on top 10 :D

Mar 3, 2011 9:02 PM by Vendetta6th

Naruto and Pandora Hearts ftw <3

Mar 2, 2011 10:19 AM by white_alyss

Maora said:
If only Naruto ended and all the little kids stop buying manga.

You realize that would be a BAD thing?

Unless you're one of those weird people who think that licencing and North America is to Christianity and the Devil.

Mar 1, 2011 5:02 PM by Sabinlerose

Sabinlerose said:
Shireiya said:
Really? I don't remember seeing it in any of the recent rankings for manga in Japan... no clue, though. Odd that the manga would do so well and the anime would plummet, seeing as they're basically the same thing with almost no changes. :X

I admit I don't watch the show but I'm fairly sure there is a LOT of filler put into it..At least from second hand information..

You're right. there are lots of fillers in anime. currently they finished 22 episodes filler arc which is completely unrelated to story. that's where things start getting annoying.

Maora said:
If only Naruto ended and all the little kids stop buying manga.

Not sure if kids only buy naruto in the US but According to sankakucomplex report 2009. in JAPAN. one piece was the number one most reading manga for 10 to 50 years old men and naruto is number 2 for 10-20, number4 > 20-30, number 8 > 30-40 and number 4 > 40-50 years old men. even in 40-50 females age group. naruto was on number 3, while one piece was on number 4.

Feb 28, 2011 6:39 PM by Han-yuu

If only Naruto ended and all the little kids stop buying manga.

Feb 28, 2011 6:13 PM by Maora

Shireiya said:
Really? I don't remember seeing it in any of the recent rankings for manga in Japan... no clue, though. Odd that the manga would do so well and the anime would plummet, seeing as they're basically the same thing with almost no changes. :X

I admit I don't watch the show but I'm fairly sure there is a LOT of filler put into it..At least from second hand information.

Akamitsu said:
I didn't know they were selling Bakuman over here.

It's got media pull behind it.
They realized North American mindsets are "THIS GUY MADE THIS THING YOU LIKED BUY IT."
And since Deathnote was popular...It's doing well.

If only they would put that push behind other series.

Feb 28, 2011 5:56 PM by Sabinlerose

Shireiya said:
Tsuki-Hime said:
SuperSaiyen said:
peroxid said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
Looks like Naruto's doing really well.
Shireiya said:
Doing well in America, yes. It's been falling behind in Japan.

^This
Naruto isn't even on the shounen top ten in japan (this weeks sales that is).

If I remember correctly, the last volume of Naruto sold 1 million copy. It's like the second or third best selling manga after One Piece right now.

Yeah. naruto sold more than 1 million copies in 2 weeks for the recent volume 54 (about 3/4 weeks ago i think) and currently 2nd top selling manga in JAPAN. also it's sold more than 100.4 million copies in April 2010 in JAPAN according to ANN.

Really? I don't remember seeing it in any of the recent rankings for manga in Japan... no clue, though. Odd that the manga would do so well and the anime would plummet, seeing as they're basically the same thing with almost no changes. :X

I remembered checking two topics here on MAL with naruto on number one for volume 54 weekly manga sales. you can check oricon weekly rankings for January. also japan yearly ranking for 2010 and 100.4 million copies in last april. fifth shueisha manga with 100 million+.

When new volume release, then manga come on top, that's how weekly ranking work for every series. even One Piece stayed on number one for 2 weeks with 2.7 million copies for volume 61.

Feb 28, 2011 4:48 PM by Han-yuu

Tsuki-Hime said:
SuperSaiyen said:
peroxid said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
Looks like Naruto's doing really well.
Shireiya said:
Doing well in America, yes. It's been falling behind in Japan.


^This

Naruto isn't even on the shounen top ten in japan (this weeks sales that is).


If I remember correctly, the last volume of Naruto sold 1 million copy. It's like the second or third best selling manga after One Piece right now.

Yeah. naruto sold more than 1 million copies in 2 weeks for the recent volume 54 (about 3/4 weeks ago i think) and currently 2nd top selling manga in JAPAN. also it's sold more than 100.4 million copies in April 2010 in JAPAN according to ANN.


Really? I don't remember seeing it in any of the recent rankings for manga in Japan... no clue, though. Odd that the manga would do so well and the anime would plummet, seeing as they're basically the same thing with almost no changes. :X

Feb 28, 2011 4:04 PM by Shireiya

SuperSaiyen said:
peroxid said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
Looks like Naruto's doing really well.
Shireiya said:
Doing well in America, yes. It's been falling behind in Japan.


^This

Naruto isn't even on the shounen top ten in japan (this weeks sales that is).


If I remember correctly, the last volume of Naruto sold 1 million copy. It's like the second or third best selling manga after One Piece right now.

Yeah. naruto sold more than 1 million copies in 2 weeks for the recent volume 54 (about 3/4 weeks ago i think) and currently 2nd top selling manga in JAPAN. also it's sold more than 100.4 million copies in April 2010 in JAPAN according to ANN.

Feb 28, 2011 1:56 PM by Han-yuu

peroxid said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
Looks like Naruto's doing really well.
Shireiya said:
Doing well in America, yes. It's been falling behind in Japan.


^This

Naruto isn't even on the shounen top ten in japan (this weeks sales that is).


If I remember correctly, the last volume of Naruto sold 1 million copy. It's like the second or third best selling manga after One Piece right now.

Feb 28, 2011 12:21 PM by SuperSaiyen

Kuroshitsuji is one of my favs -manga only though- It's nice to see it almost at the top. Also yay for D.Gray

Feb 28, 2011 11:48 AM by kikoushi

QysteiN said:
3, Black Bird, vol 7
4, Fullmetal Alchemist, vol 24
5, Bakuman, vol 3


The best ones. <3

Feb 28, 2011 11:38 AM by biakudryavka

AlexSadist-sama said:
Looks like Naruto's doing really well.
Shireiya said:
Doing well in America, yes. It's been falling behind in Japan.


^This

Naruto isn't even on the shounen top ten in japan (this weeks sales that is).

Feb 28, 2011 10:53 AM by peroxid

So glad to see Kuroshitsuji on there.

That is all.

Feb 28, 2011 9:40 AM by Vcruzer

I didn't know they were selling Bakuman over here.

Feb 28, 2011 8:24 AM by Akamitsu

naruto is doing well as always and nice to see u too d.gray man

Feb 28, 2011 5:12 AM by Mr_Gutts

SuperSaiyen said:
Naruto is the only good thing on this list...


Don't think so, theres FMA, Bakuman etc on the charts as well, I think you over rate naruto even thou I like naruto.

Feb 28, 2011 3:40 AM by origami-samurai

Good to see Pandora up there indeed.

Feb 28, 2011 12:25 AM by Yanoflies

*insert generic comment about the bad taste in the US with the exception of FMA*

SuperSaiyen said:
Naruto is the only good thing on this list...


Not sure if troll...

Feb 27, 2011 11:53 PM by Nidhoeggr

oh yes!! pandora hearts!! :)

also nice to see FMA still up there...

Feb 27, 2011 11:35 PM by agent535