Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 29, 2023 2:18 AM

Sep 2010
Preachee said:
ateks said:

??

The usual activities are watching youtube videos and chatting on discord how is Windows better in that regard?

Yes, because browsers work better on Windows. This also extends to playing games (unless you're using Nobara, then again, I still prefer Windows for that).

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Almost all software runs way faster on Linux than it does on Windows. Even most games that aren't native run much smoother on Linux. In games like GTA 5 on max settings I get double the amount of FPS compared to Windows and in other games it's even more. At this point Linux is literally better for gaming than Windows.
Jul 29, 2023 2:36 AM

Dec 2018
ateks said:
Preachee said:

Yes, because browsers work better on Windows. This also extends to playing games (unless you're using Nobara, then again, I still prefer Windows for that).

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Almost all software runs way faster on Linux than it does on Windows. Even most games that aren't native run much smoother on Linux. In games like GTA 5 on max settings I get double the amount of FPS compared to Windows and in other games it's even more. At this point Linux is literally better for gaming than Windows.

Well I literally couldn't disagree more. Performance-wise, I got it worse on Linux sometimes for some games like Elden Ring (to name one on top of my head), but maybe it's just my machine. But honestly, I don't mind it that much because it's usually insignificant for most games. But Linux runs into lots of issues that I can hardly say it is "out of the box" for gaming. This is the same for browsers (that said, I don't use Firefox, which is what was recommended, and I usually use Edge, used to use Chrome, both were literally a lot worse on Ubuntu and Debian). If we want to go a bit further, the average joe prefers Office tools like Word (including myself) over LibreOffice as well. You can certainly get Office on Linux, but I wouldn't really say it's optimal.

But yeah, most of my time is spent on programming with servers, as well as stuffs from both front and backend so I use Linux most often anyway. I love it, but honestly it's not perfect. I use different OS for different purposes and that is working the best for me.
. . .
Aug 2, 2023 11:32 PM

Jul 2023
I use zorin OS, which is a lightweight linux distro based on ubuntu.It's easy to use and I have a lot of fun because coding is very exciting!
Aug 3, 2023 3:14 PM

May 2013
I own a Steam Deck now so I have joined the enlightened ones by a technicality.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Aug 10, 2023 11:15 AM

Jul 2013
Sooner or later, I'll be messing around with Gentoo or derivatives. Yes, that could mean making the OS from scratch.

Other than that, I'm glad that Xenia or new emulators are making their way to alt-tech so that heavy gaming on an open source OS will be even more possible.

Can't wait to ditch Windblows for good. Everyone knows that alt-tech is free of political correctness.

Like piracy, I see alt-tech as a way to stick it to the man which is America's plutocratic regime.
Aug 21, 2023 3:31 PM

Jan 2015
_Nette_ said:
I own a Steam Deck now so I have joined the enlightened ones by a technicality.
You can officially now say "BTW, I use Arch" then. I was surprised to see they went with Arch for the Steam Deck, but then again: rolling release, packages are always up to date, bugs are squashed fast. Ran Arch for a time, great choice.

Kurt_Irving said:
Sooner or later, I'll be messing around with Gentoo or derivatives. Yes, that could mean making the OS from scratch.

Other than that, I'm glad that Xenia or new emulators are making their way to alt-tech so that heavy gaming on an open source OS will be even more possible.

Can't wait to ditch Windblows for good. Everyone knows that alt-tech is free of political correctness.

Like piracy, I see alt-tech as a way to stick it to the man which is America's plutocratic regime.
Ah, Gentoo. Haven't run it in years but I remember when I got my first Stage3 install properly configured & working with AMD graphics back in 2010. Stayed on there for a bit then went to FreeBSD & loved the ports system it has. Can be a bit tedious to set up but once you learn the in's & out's of emerge, USE flags, & the make.conf file it's not too bad. I like that they're providing pre-compiled binary kernels from Debian now as an option, that's a nice touch. Genkernel always made it so easy to build new kernels though. + No SystemD init shoved down your throat unless you want it (it's an available profile for system setup), so that's always good. There's also Linux From Scratch if you want to completely build your own OS from the ground up, unlike Gentoo that gives you just enough system in a tarball file to get started. I ditched Winbloze many years ago, haven't looked back. Distrohopped a bit since then, but Debian, FreeBSD, Arch/Artix & Slackware have remained favorites of mine (I'm typing this from Slackware64 15.0 right now)
Sep 7, 2023 9:22 AM

Jul 2023
I dual boot Windows with Ubuntu. Ubuntu became quite good-looking and user-friendly. Also Linux is very useful for backing up data and it is so much easier to make adb work with Linux.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

4 by DreamWindow »»
5 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

57 by DreamingBeats »»
6 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
10 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
Yesterday, 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.