Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 11, 2021 5:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, this episode is pretty much a battlefield with xp gain opportunities. Seriously, Kumoko treated that like a live video game lol. Her narratives were also hilarious.

Nice to see Ariel again but she wasn't in the moood to play games. Kumoko's determination to fight her is really inspiring though.
Stark700Jun 11, 2021 6:34 AM
Jun 11, 2021 6:57 AM

Feb 2019
Yea Arial is my new waifu for sure. Liked her before, but being mixed with Kumoko’s spirit makes her even better. I’m really interested in learning more about this administrator D and what the fate of the world was projected to be that led them summoning the kids. Gulie is a really interesting character as well. Hugo doesn’t seem to be completely evil. Could be being manipulated. A lot of mystery in this series that I doubt we’ll get explained in two eps, so after two seasons of promo, I have decided to read the books. Anime definitely worked in its intended role.

Marinate1016Jun 11, 2021 7:01 AM
Jun 11, 2021 6:57 AM

Jul 2017
The human fights a-raging, and Aoi Yuuki and her Kumoko minions are having fun to provide spiteful commentary like a news reporter and war coach in another world, HAHA I LOVE IT! Everything to her is a massive field of EXP earned for the easy credits.

That is...until the Terminator Demon Lord Ariel shows up...not on the battlefield but transitioning to the scene of the Great Elroe Labyrinth and against the Earth Dragon Araba, she's definitely not playing around now. It's funny to think that Ariel, having sucked Mother up, she is beginning to act like Kumoko both in personality and traits, and the Dragon God Guile stopped her from being two-faced.

The inevitable has happened: Ariel teleported to the correct battlefield to face Kumoko, and this Julius kid "Hero" boy that looks like Shun, but younger? The two sides have caught up with each other, and Kumoko is facing a losing battle while constantly healing with EXP of the dead.

The class reunion extends to the battlefield, but Hugo a.k.a Kengo's only priority is Shun and Oka-sensei. The 3DCG rotoscoping is some un-smooth shit, but it's clear that there's no backing out of this fateful fight: the Hero vs. the unkind "Goblin Slayer" suit.

Looking forward to the finale now, for real.
Jun 11, 2021 6:59 AM
Nov 2018
Well looks like my prediction that they were doing 4 episodes per book just to stretch out the final battles for like 4 episodes was right. It went from barely giving fights any time in the first episodes to now stretching them out over multiple episodes.

Like I would have traded kumoko narrating the battle for just about any other scene they skipped.

I suspect its probably better for the anime onlies since this is the climax. Being a reader it feels like its dragging.
Jun 11, 2021 7:07 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Yes! Kumoko is back, and lol that Kumoko - Ariel - Julius fight triangle, that was good to see, it really seems like the animation is atrocious mainly for the human side, because for Kumoko's one it was still ok, and it became bad again when the human showed... anyway the situation is still very tense but it seems like it will conclude soon
Jun 11, 2021 7:07 AM
Oct 2016
After last week getting none of Kumoko, here we get tons her. With all the antics and craziness dialed up. Kumoko news reporting about the war directly from the battlefield was the perfect way to start this episode. Cracked me up seeing her treat it like dangerous on location reporting, sideways blood rain included. Smart idea for her to join in gaining some experience points since all the carnage is happening anyways. Is it because of Kumoko, yes. Would it have happened regardless, also yes. So might as well take advantage of the situation.

Kumoko mind brain worked some wonders breaking down Ariel. To the point of Ariel saying some very Kumoko like phrases and habits, even the earth Dragon noticed. Ariel being zipped over to where Kumoko is so they cam battle was awesome. Glad that the tease in the opening is happening. They did cause some major damage to the battlefield but it kept Kumoko alive gaining all that experience. Julius running over was interesting since this did happen in the past he's a fledgling hero but with those hero skills still a threat to Ariel. Which parallels well with where this episode ends of Shion vs Hugo in the current timeline.
Jun 11, 2021 7:12 AM
Dec 2017
Ashhk said:
Yes! Kumoko is back, and lol that Kumoko - Ariel - Julius fight triangle, that was good to see, it really seems like the animation is atrocious mainly for the human side, because for Kumoko's one it was still ok, and it became bad again when the human showed... anyway the situation is still very tense but it seems like it will conclude soon

Maybe some other (support) studio is doing human side? Like ENGI or any other Kadokawa associate. Too much difference in direction and...effort.
Jun 11, 2021 7:19 AM
Aug 2013
Marinate1016 said:
Yea Arial is my new waifu for sure. Liked her before, but being mixed with Kumoko’s spirit makes her even better. I’m really interested in learning more about this administrator D and what the fate of the world was projected to be that led them summoning the kids. Gulie is a really interesting character as well. Hugo doesn’t seem to be completely evil. Could be being manipulated. A lot of mystery in this series that I doubt we’ll get explained in two eps, so after two seasons of promo, I have decided to read the books. Anime definitely worked in its intended role.

I'm so happy you, and others, have picked up the LN. Definitely one of the best around, you won't be disappointed!

On that note, I know a lot of source readers wish the anime would've done things differently (both quality and story), but one thing I will forever stand by this anime for, is the amount of new people it attracted. Always love to see Spider Church grow. The anime has done a very good job at that, despite its shortcomings.
Jun 11, 2021 7:24 AM

Feb 2019
SouKaiyou said:
Marinate1016 said:

I'm so happy you, and others, have picked up the LN. Definitely one of the best around, you won't be disappointed!

On that note, I know a lot of source readers wish the anime would've done things differently (both quality and story), but one thing I will forever stand by this anime for, is the amount of new people it attracted. Always love to see Spider Church grow. The anime has done a very good job at that, despite its shortcomings.

Anime adaptations are really just to promote the LN 99.9 percent of times anyway, so that’s to be expected. It did its job with me tho.
Jun 11, 2021 7:34 AM

Jun 2019
Oh my god... why was this episode so fuckin' funny. Everything about it was hilarious. First, Kumoko doing the report from the battlefield was amazingly funny. She doesn't take anything seriously at this point. LMAO. Looks like Kumoko also took partial control over Ariel's head but it didn't last long since she approached her on the battlefield.

The fight itself was funny from Kumoko's POV. She once again isn't taking anything seriously but can't use magic because of the barrier created by Ariel. Yet she's surviving through taking experience from the unknown soldiers. LOL.

On the CGI part, holy shit the frames were bad. I felt like I was watching the scenes at 15 FPS. I don't say it much tho, but it was bad today.
Jun 11, 2021 7:38 AM

Sep 2015
Man the Cgi in this episode looks worse than it has been in the past. It really looks bad on the human characters. I enjoyed this series more in the beggining than I have the last couple episodes.

Still decided to buy the first LN book to start reading another series as I feel like the world and story has potential its just not being animated well.

Disappointed they flipped to the human side without showing the ending of the battle vs. the Demon Lord
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jun 11, 2021 7:43 AM

Oct 2017
Kumoko vs Ariel was pretty hilarious and damn they left us on a cliffhanger on both side of the story. Next episode come faster!
Jun 11, 2021 7:45 AM
Jan 2018
jmstructor said:
Well looks like my prediction that they were doing 4 episodes per book just to stretch out the final battles for like 4 episodes was right. It went from barely giving fights any time in the first episodes to now stretching them out over multiple episodes.

Like I would have traded kumoko narrating the battle for just about any other scene they skipped.

I suspect its probably better for the anime onlies since this is the climax. Being a reader it feels like its dragging.

No, there's just a ton of battles at this part lmao.

QcK_Dagger_HeaT said:

Disappointed they flipped to the human side without showing the ending of the battle vs. the Demon Lord

that was the end of the battle.
poisonedbiteJun 11, 2021 7:49 AM
Jun 11, 2021 7:52 AM

Jan 2018
They could have give this whole ep to Kumo but they just have to insert the human side. No one likes that.
Jun 11, 2021 8:06 AM
Jun 2020
I do not usually complain about CG as long as it is tolerable, but today they really did it. The whole Hugo vs Shun battle was honestly the worst CG in anime I have encountered - quite literally making me nauseous.

The story is better than most isekai, but the quality of execution has dropped quite a bit in this episode and the previous one.
Jun 11, 2021 8:17 AM

Feb 2020
Great episode. That fight was so hilarious. xD
Jun 11, 2021 8:24 AM

Aug 2018
Kumoko’s weird cross between a war correspondent and a weatherman had to be the funniest thing I’ve ever seen.
Jun 11, 2021 9:10 AM

Apr 2020
man i thought ex-arm was bad and here....
areil's CG was good but then every other CG was sooo bad
17:47 even 2d looks were so bad
and then at the end what the hell with frame rates

i just hope they were doing all this so that they can do some great shit on last or 2nd last episodes

if its wasnt for story i would drop it
Jun 11, 2021 9:18 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Sondfer said:
Ashhk said:

Maybe some other (support) studio is doing human side? Like ENGI or any other Kadokawa associate. Too much difference in direction and...effort.
I think it should be the case because yeah the difference is really huge, just look at the framerate for the CGI scenes when the camera is moving, it's 2 times slower compared to Kumoko's part
Jun 11, 2021 9:33 AM

Jul 2020
That's scene where the Devil is 3D and the guy is 2D in one frame reminds me of Ex-Arm lmao
Jun 11, 2021 9:38 AM

Jan 2013
What I tense situation ...

What they are going to do?

Of course, they will do nothing, as they can't kill the generic harem protagonist. This episode is a joke. They can't afford to animate the fighting, and they can't afford to advance plot, so they just stall.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jun 11, 2021 9:40 AM
Jan 2021
I wonder if Kumoko is gonna join the battle and their reactions to her, cause I don't think we have confirmed who she actually is (correct me if we have been told in the anime) also I really find it weird how no one has questioned how much CG there is during the fights
Jun 11, 2021 9:41 AM

Jan 2014
Pretty fun episode, I loved how it started with our spider doing a reporter's job lol. Already can't wait for next week.
Jun 11, 2021 9:44 AM
Mar 2015
Ariel v Kumikho was fun especially knowing that Ariel's soul was being eaten The shotacon references to Julius were very funny The battle scenes from Hugo v Shun were awful
Jun 11, 2021 9:46 AM

Nov 2011
Damn pretty good action. The CGI still is not good and I am losing interest more and more in the Schlein saga atm.

But I am curious as to why Ariel was stopped when she saw Julius. Don't know if it was the Hero factor or what but that was pretty interesting.

Hopefully Kumoko made it out unscathed.

The White Lady is walking with Ariel...thought she would open her eyes but nope. I like the White lady...kinda sexy :3

I think we are going to need another season or two. I do not know if they can wrap this up in 2 episodes.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jun 11, 2021 9:48 AM

Mar 2016
If this manages to get a season 2 (hopefully it does), it needs to go to a new studio. They manage for some wonderful and downright hilarious scenes for Kumoko, but the landslide shift in production quality when switching between timelines has gone beyond a joke at this point.

The scene change for the end was so noticeable. Barely any movement by anyone. Perspective shots that were completely off i.e. Shun and Sophia face to face suddenly, followed by tiny Oka behind Shun. And then it was a coin flip as to whether they'd be using CG or 2D for a scene.

Seriously amazed Julius had managed to survive as long as he did, because this episode clearly showed he was damn suicidal :P
Jun 11, 2021 9:54 AM

Dec 2015
Did they change the director, studio or something? It's awful, it doesn't even seem like the same work that made me laugh a lot in every episode, I hated watching these battles.

If it continues like this, it will easily fall from one of the best of the season to one of the worst, and it's not the first to happen (I'm talking about you Higehiro)
Jun 11, 2021 10:03 AM

Jan 2013
SoraSenpai said:
The White Lady is walking with Ariel...thought she would open her eyes but nope.

Opening eyes is too expensive. They run out of budget.
Jun 11, 2021 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
I assume that knowing they do not have enough episodes left to adapt anything further, the studio decided to stretch out this last 2 "climatic" fights, which results in what we see in this episode.

I think the studio has run out of money at this point as well (maybe out of money too) leading to the CGI hell we will be getting in these last few episodes, starting from the previous episode's Battle in the Desert of Elves.

Of course it wouldn't be a Kumoko-centric episode without shoehorning "stereotypical-isekai-male-hero(LOL)" character and his band of merry friends' current day struggle into the last few minutes, despite the obvious lack of our friendly neighborhood spider in the previous episode that focused on the humans. Stop discriminating against spiders...

SoraSenpai said:
But I am curious as to why Ariel was stopped when she saw Julius. Don't know if it was the Hero factor or what but that was pretty interesting.
It was shown in the episode for a couple of seconds when Kumoko used her Wisdom skill's encyclopedia to search for the "Hero" skill/title. Basically, because Ariel is the Demon King and the shota is the Hero, Ariel has to be wary of the shota as someone with the "Hero" skill and title has the ability to kill the person that has the "Demon King" title regardless of the differences in stats.
removed-userJun 11, 2021 10:18 AM
Jun 11, 2021 10:15 AM

Jan 2013
RainyShadow said:
Yup, if all Kumo curses are stacked in those two eyes, it would be some heavy damage :P
(If White is really Kumo, as they imply)

I wonder if her evil-eye-lasers autofire each time she opens her eyes.
Jun 11, 2021 10:17 AM

Oct 2017
beast_regards said:

This could be the reason to keep them closed...
Jun 11, 2021 10:31 AM
May 2021
Loved the animation on the first 20 eps but these last 2 were a bit disappointing
Jun 11, 2021 10:31 AM
Dec 2010
Hands down the worst animation of the season. I can't believe they shipped this with such horrible frames in some scenes. The story has also been hyper jumpy for a few episodes now.

Real shame that the show is rapidly going downhill.
Jun 11, 2021 10:32 AM
Sep 2016
beast_regards said:
RainyShadow said:
Yup, if all Kumo curses are stacked in those two eyes, it would be some heavy damage :P
(If White is really Kumo, as they imply)

It isnt anything special, White doesnt like how her eyes look so she has them closed.
Jun 11, 2021 10:38 AM

Oct 2008
Either the cg wasn't as bad as I prepared for or I am getting used to it. The Ariel vs Kumoko battle was fun to watch. The hero side was as bad as usual with the cringe hero talk. Here hoping for a triple KO in their fight, Shun and Hugo kill each other off and sensei dies in the crossfire trying to stop them.
Jun 11, 2021 10:40 AM

Mar 2016
That moment when you only have 2 hours to complete the project and your underpaid intern has to use 240p barebone terrain templates and render at 5 FPS on his 2011 potato gaming laptop to get the job done on time. Ouch. I'd rather have seen a recap or nothing at all if it meant getting a good episode later.
KnockatorJun 11, 2021 10:44 AM
Jun 11, 2021 10:56 AM
Feb 2016
akihikosama said:
Either the cg wasn't as bad as I prepared for or I am getting used to it.

You shouldn’t get used to it. The CG was absolute garbage. It was a pain to get through.
Jun 11, 2021 11:06 AM
Dec 2017
The anime cut an important part of the conversation between Ariel and Kuro.

Volume 5 - Interlude: The Demon Lord and the Administrator

“Hmm. Well, allow me to make up for my subordinates causing you trouble. I will send you to that creature’s location.”
At that offer, my jaw hits the floor for a moment.
“Are you sure that’s all right? Even when it clearly has an administrator’s favor?”
“No, it is not all right. D has specifically instructed me not to interfere with the reincarnations. Indirectly or no, D may decide to punish me for putting a reincarnation in a difficult spot.”
It seems that lending me a hand is even more dangerous for Gülie than I realized.
“Then why—?”
Gülie cuts me off. “Nevertheless, I would like to help my old friend’s daughter if I can.”
“Aren’t you acting cool. Can’t you ever show that side to Lady Sariel?”
“Say what you will.”
Gülie begins to form the Teleport spell.
Jun 11, 2021 11:10 AM

Jan 2018
Holy crap this episode looked really bad lol
Jun 11, 2021 11:14 AM

Jan 2017
Holy fuck even my PS2 from over 20 years ago was able to produce better graphic IN REAL TIME. They must be running on the last 1000 yens bill at this moment. I can't even imagine how they will be able to pull off the last 2 episodes...
Jun 11, 2021 12:07 PM

Apr 2018
The Demon Lord Ariel vs Our Kumoko, fight went pretty bad for Kumoko but she got saved by the old hero xD Shun's also struggling against him.
The CGI was alright but whatever, I'm still loving this serie!
Body is the best character in the serie.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jun 11, 2021 12:24 PM

Jul 2014
I knew that Parallel Minds had at least changed something about Ariel, her personality seemed quite different from what we initially saw and it also explains why she seemed to know the reincarnations personally. So their souls are combined, at least I'm glad she's still Ariel... kinda.

It was hilarious how Kumoko had to level up as the demon lord beat the shit out of her. Thank you, nameless soldiers xD.

I had to laugh when Aoi Yuuki wondered if the demon lord was a shotacon lol.

Man, I was so into the fight between Kumoko and the demon lord but they had to switch to the human perspective. It's still interesting but it looks so bad...
Jun 11, 2021 12:32 PM
Nov 2018
that final scene is a simple image with nothing moving, not even there they could make something that looks decent? geez
Jun 11, 2021 12:50 PM
Mar 2021
Watching Gulie helps Ariel teleport her to Kumoko while Gulie told Kumoko to eat that Earth Dragon. I wonder D be like :

D : You have been choosen to death, Gulie.

Also...

D : Okay it's time for entertainment. (Kumoko vs Ariel)

Hey Julius kid, why you're still there? You're in their way.

15 years later...
Reunion instead of battle preparation.

Shimura27Jun 11, 2021 12:56 PM
Jun 11, 2021 1:48 PM
Feb 2015
The cgi and "forest" make this a 3 out of 5.
Jun 11, 2021 1:53 PM

Jan 2013
akihikosama said:
Either the cg wasn't as bad as I prepared for or I am getting used to it. The Ariel vs Kumoko battle was fun to watch. The hero side was as bad as usual with the cringe hero talk. Here hoping for a triple KO in their fight, Shun and Hugo kill each other off and sensei dies in the crossfire trying to stop them.

Do you still hope Shun dies when he is killed?
Remember Phoenix Feather?
Jun 11, 2021 2:03 PM

Jan 2020
That CGI was pretty meh in the human part, they have the good in kumo side, in the first 10 episodes the human part was fine, both the part 2d and 3d, but at this point I think they have run out of budget, I'm not disappointed in the animation in general (except for that horrible episode amm, 14?), if not the camera shots and the static characters, at least in this episode

Anyway, the plot rewards any bad taste in the mouth, although from the beginning I have disagreed with the joker vibe of kumo-chan, I think it is already part of it, hopefully the war ends with a good climax on both sides!

Humans may have two eyes, but we can only see one thing
Don't use the scores to see an anime
ええい! なんでも やって やる
Jun 11, 2021 2:27 PM

Oct 2008
beast_regards said:
akihikosama said:

Do you still hope Shun dies when he is killed?
Remember Phoenix Feather?
Maybe permanent damage to the mouth would be more ideal. xD
Jun 11, 2021 2:31 PM
Jan 2019
Is it just me or does it look like they spend less than $100 on the human side CGI?
Jun 11, 2021 2:32 PM
Dec 2016
Wtf was the bullshit at the beginning… they pretty ruined the whole anime with this episode - even if the CGI was terrible, they changed so many details of the story that it doesn’t make any sense…
they should‘ve end the season with episode 20 and skip the war scenes if they can’t animate it… would be totally fine to animate just a few duels and use static images with a camera movement / zoom.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

140 by Psicrom »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

370 by Youtube_Zero »»
May 9, 5:10 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

138 by LunaInkChan »»
Apr 26, 11:17 PM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Apr 19, 5:07 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.