Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 16, 2020 5:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, the new characters Elaina encountered this episode seems friendly including Nino and that boy, Emil. I felt bad when Nino got scolded by Emil's father but it's a good thing Elaina was able to literally fix the problem.

The flower segment was also an elegant segment imo this episode. Elaina meeting new people brings a lot of charm to her adventure.

Oct 16, 2020 5:52 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I wonder if shes ever going to get a friend to travel with.
Oct 16, 2020 6:09 AM
Oct 2015
What will happen to Nino after that?
It's likely the same as what happened to the wife in that story, yeah, most likely she will kill herself
Skipped scene, Elaina's monologue in the LN :
Oct 16, 2020 6:13 AM

Apr 2010
Flesh eating plants a naive kid and an old pervert.
I guess this is the dark side of their world, since the story so far has been pretty rose coloured it's a clear sign that not everything is as it seems.
The question is should she have helped them or not i kind of like the idea that she isn't a overly righteous person since that's something we see way to often in anime.
She seems more of a realist tho she is a bit of a narcissist.
Oct 16, 2020 6:25 AM
Oct 2015
Aversa said:
Flesh eating plants a naive kid and an old pervert.
I guess this is the dark side of their world, since the story so far has been pretty rose coloured it's a clear sign that not everything is as it seems.
The question is should she have helped them or not i kind of like the idea that she isn't a overly righteous person since that's something we see way to often in anime.
She seems more of a realist tho she is a bit of a narcissist.

Good, someone noticed Elaina's personality this early because you will often see her doing such things, she is not a hero and what happened to that person is also beyond her control and cannot be saved anymore. Her mother also told Elaina to stay out of danger
Oct 16, 2020 6:28 AM

Feb 2019
No better way to start off my bday than with Majo no Tabitabi and Assault Lily back to back. First volume of the LN came in today too so I’m excited for that.

First of all, feel really bad for the guard who ended up becoming plant food. I wasn’t expecting that. I thought maybe the story would be that there was a misconception about the flowers being poisonous. I wonder what happened to those plant like zombies that were walking towards the village as well.

I also feel sad for Nino because we never got any conclusion with her story and unlike Elaina, I would’ve loved to find out how she and the guy fared. I hope it was a happier ending than the story with the guy and his wife.

Lastly, I think the story of today’s episode was a very important one. Just because you’re doing something for someone else doesn’t mean it’ll help them or that it’s the right thing to do. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Oct 16, 2020 6:34 AM

Aug 2012
Nino came out of the fat bastard's room still getting dressed...
Oct 16, 2020 6:35 AM
Feb 2018
Hopefully next week episode is more sunny
Oct 16, 2020 6:40 AM
Aug 2018
Quite a dark episode this was, but this feels relatively in the sense that acts of kindness can be cruel and I hope the slave and the boy live out well in the future but I don't know
Oct 16, 2020 6:46 AM
Mar 2018
MrAwesome2018 said:

I had to go back and rewatch that. Totally missed that the first time
Oct 16, 2020 6:47 AM

Aug 2013
Yep, this was a pretty dark episode with things it tried to portray. Especially where kindness can be cruel. :(

And Elaina continues her journey. Now I'm conflicted whether or not I should read the LN at this point or just wait till the anime finish airing.

MrAwesome2018 said:

I noticed that but never thought of it that way. Pretty stupid of me. :P

Oct 16, 2020 6:54 AM

Aug 2012
Leo said:
I noticed that but never thought of it that way. Pretty stupid of me. :P

I was doubting first but then i saw the village chief ogling Elaina.
Oct 16, 2020 6:59 AM
Jun 2020
I think the plot is similar to Violet Evergarden. Every chapter, there's a new character and a new setting. The animation is so clean specially in that part where Elaina fixed the broken pitcher.

I hope Nino can find her happiness.

Oct 16, 2020 7:00 AM
Jan 2019
MrAwesome2018 said:

I totally missed that detail, thanks for pointing out! Hope that fat bastard got what he deserved, and i also hope Nino was fine.
Oct 16, 2020 7:01 AM

Oct 2013
Pretty disappointing episode.

This time we had two stories in one ep, which really made each very short in time and story.

The first one ended in a cliffhanger for some reason. And I'm not sure why the hell Elaina just got the hell out of there when she saw the guard.

Then we see the zombie people marching towards town and... that's it? What's next? What's gonna happen?

The second story as well, she saw the abuse Nino is receiving, and again just up and left like that.

Is this what we're going to get all season now? Incomplete stories?
Oct 16, 2020 7:06 AM

Aug 2012
dadnaya said:

This time we had two stories in one ep, which really made each very short in time and story.

The first one ended in a cliffhanger for some reason. And I'm not sure why the hell Elaina just got the hell out of there when she saw the guard.

Then we see the zombie people marching towards town and... that's it? What's next? What's gonna happen?

The second story as well, she saw the abuse Nino is receiving, and again just up and left like that.

Didn't she promise to her mother to run away from danger?
Oct 16, 2020 7:07 AM
Oct 2015
dadnaya said:

about Nino, read my comment above #3
Oct 16, 2020 7:07 AM

Sep 2014
Elaina was like:
"Yeah that was tragic, I'm outta here."
Oct 16, 2020 7:10 AM

Sep 2019
Wait, so that guy turned into a plant and that’s it?

I want to know what happend to the servant after she saw that happiness. If she killed herself, that wouldn’t have happened if Elaina remembered the ending of that story.

Can’t blame Elaina for not wanting to get into trouble. It’s not her job to save everyone, she’s not a saint who always needs to do the “right” thing either.
z00nexOct 16, 2020 3:36 PM
Oct 16, 2020 7:10 AM
Jan 2020
The last two episodes were on the happy-ish side of the anime. This episode was a little dark as compared to the other two. During the first 10 minutes, we got to see that gatekeeper who lost his little sister (who got turned into a plant by the poisonous flowers) get engulfed by the plant (who was his little sister). I did not expect that.

Then came the other phase of the episode we got to see that Nino was a slave who was bought and Emil who was trying to make her happy. Yes that is kind but listening to the story that Elaina knows from her childhood makes me wonder about what might have happened.

The two incidents were not explained in detail but maybe they should have.
We are left with our own imagination and that makes it a little scary.

Since the episode took a little darker turn I enjoyed it (hontoni!!!)
Oct 16, 2020 7:11 AM

Oct 2013
MrAwesome2018 said:

Didn't she promise to her mother to run away from danger?

So just ruin whatever she comes across and run away?

It's pretty much her fault the town has become like that, since I assume burning the flowers made people turn into zombies.

ShiroHachi said:
about Nino, read my comment above #3

Ya, I did. It's kind of a shame that it was an afterthought of "Oh by the way, she probably killed herself. But I don't really care anyways" -Elaina, Probably
Oct 16, 2020 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
Well, This episode discussed pretty dark tales on the outside but never going too grim on them.

As, This is not an Aria the animation witch version.

The tales left the Protagonist becoming more cynical in some sense, but I liked her devil may care attitude as she is just a traveler, not a guide, not a life-saver, not a person who wants the change as she is just a traveler and nothing else.

This left me thinking more keenly towards the moe direction of the show, as there isn't much space for the story to go that way.

But, let the journey continue. As we have reached the quarter-point.
Oct 16, 2020 7:16 AM
Mar 2016
dadnaya said:

Yes, and that's great
Jun 2019
I kinda feel sad in this episode because of the part 1 and part 2 scene's that elaina feels pity on them in the end....

Apr 2020
Alright this travelled to very shady alleys. Keep in mind that Elaina is just a lovely traveller and thank god she is. Those flowers sure are frightening and that girl deserves better, I felt so sad for her.

This episode gives us two stories where no one will get a happy ending with Elaina spectating from afar. What a way to go dark this week.
Oct 16, 2020 7:17 AM

Jan 2012
what did i just watch
i thought this anime will be great but maybe i was wrong

this ep was horrible
a witch traveling trough the world. watching ppl suffer and dying and doesnt give a single fuck

i might drop soon if she keeps staying completely useless

Oct 16, 2020 7:17 AM
Oct 2020
That episode was incredibly depressing. I'm sad that Elaina didn't do much to help the people that needed it. You can only help those that help themselves type of thing. But I guess that was the point. The plant zombies approaching the town, followed by the possibility of Nino maybe committing suicide. This episode straight up hurt my feelings.
Oct 16, 2020 7:19 AM
Mar 2016
Nooooooo, I'm so sad and depressed now
Because they skipped the muscleman story
Oct 16, 2020 7:20 AM

Dec 2018
Oh no please not that horror! Not anime males!

Omg they were so annoying loud and abusive. IMO anime males are almost always like that. And I cant stand them

For having so many irritating males I give this anime 1/10. And IMO that was easily the worst episode so far

Yuri-CrusaderOct 16, 2020 7:44 AM
Oct 16, 2020 7:22 AM

Oct 2013
Hanfos said:
what did i just watch

this ep was horrible
a witch traveling trough the world. watching ppl suffer and dying and doesnt give a single fuck

Yep, my thoughts exactly.
Why even bother watching these stories if they're not going to have a conclusion?
Oct 16, 2020 7:28 AM

Jan 2012
dadnaya said:
Hanfos said:
what did i just watch

this ep was horrible

Yep, my thoughts exactly.
Why even bother watching these stories if they're not going to have a conclusion?

yea
why did she even want to become a strong witch? to have the power to help people but not doing it cuz shes a sado? (see ep2)
hopefully not just to traveling the world to watch ppl suffer

i clearly dont understand what the anime wants to tell us

that the world can be cruel it is certainly not since the most cruel person is actually the MC in this case

is this some kind of cliffhanger - the animation in Cyanide & Happiness style?

so many questions
HanfosOct 16, 2020 7:34 AM

Oct 16, 2020 7:33 AM

Feb 2016
I think this episode will really set in what people should expect from this anime.

I really did enjoy watching this tonight, I was also pretty happy this ended up being 2 stories in 1, but also fairly :/. As much as the flowers story was rolled over, I guess it did the job.... ehhh? And for the slave story reflected much better. My disappointment spawns from my bias of the novel... I just wish they stayed close to the smaller details which from the novel that really get you going, and are really needed to put the icing on the cake. Really wanted to see them expressed in the big screen... kind of a shame really. Definitely recommend people go read the novels if they think they're interested because yeah, its better thats for sure. (yep im for sure biased)

I feel like I should step down my expectations to feel what I felt from the novel, but at the same time, I'll keep watching out for them because there is so many moments so far that have locked together like gears and made my insides feel great.

RainbowsaurOct 16, 2020 7:43 AM
Oct 16, 2020 7:37 AM
Jul 2019
This episode really hit hard. It showed that Elaina is not at all perfect and that the world she is traveling is messed up and beyond her control. After all, she is just a lone traveler who just wants to travel the world and document about it in her diary. That’s the whole reason why she wanted to become a witch. Not everything in the world all sunshine and rainbows and was something that Elaina has to understand. Overall, another great episode that strays from the usually happy tone with a tragic tone. Strong stuff.
UncleJojoOct 16, 2020 8:17 AM
Oct 16, 2020 7:41 AM
Jul 2019
Nilvius said:
I see it more like Kino no Tabi, she's a traveler or more specifically, an observer and an outsider; she's just passing through and it's not really in her 'right' to interfere even if it came across as cold. With the zombie plant, you could argue that she could use her magic to firebomb the flower field but with the slave girl, the situation is much more complex. Kill the village chief? Just snatch the slave and run away and risk the village chief using his position to paint a target on the witch wherever she goes? How's she going to handle or take care of her after that etc. This isn't a typical battle manga where you beat down the enemies and move on.
Very well said, it was something that was completely out of her control, and that everything is not sunshine and rainbows.
Oct 16, 2020 7:43 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again but with a surprisingly darker undertone and vague conclusion to both stories.

It felt weird to me that the flower story was just skipped over, I thought there would be more to it. Elaina just left after seeing what was going on, I guess it is more correct for us to view Elaina as a bystander almost an observer in the grand scheme of things. Her journey doesn't involve going around the world to help every single person she comes across but to observe and understand the natural order of things. To me it feels like, she is trying to understand life in it's many forms because the plant feeding off that village is a form of life in itself. It's just a parasite.

Emil is a good kid, I liked him though it sounds like his good intentions might get Nino in trouble more often than not. Elaina was there to help this one time, but I wonder what happens all those other times. The scene with Emil giving Nino the 'happiness' was very nice.

Just want to point out that Elaina and her smug expressions give me life.

Marinate1016 said:

Lastly, I think the story of today’s episode was a very important one. Just because you’re doing something for someone else doesn’t mean it’ll help them or that it’s the right thing to do. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

+1, couldn't have said it better my self.
Oct 16, 2020 7:43 AM
Jul 2019
Akzao said:
I see some ppl complaining why Elaina didnt help them. But why would she? Thats none of her business. She didnt become a witch to help others. She just wants to travel around the world and write her diary. This show is way more realistic than your average anime where MC helps every single person they come across.
of course. After all she is just a wandering traveler, and not someone with a justice boner like any typical shounen protagonist.
Oct 16, 2020 7:44 AM

Apr 2009
Hanfos said:

yea
why did she even want to become a strong witch? to have the power to help people but not doing it cuz shes a sado? (see ep2)

that the world can be cruel it is certainly not since the most cruel person is actually the MC in this case

so many questions

Elaina just wanted to travel and see the world, that's pretty much it. Just so happens she's also talented.

Basically, I see it more like Kino no Tabi, she's a traveler or more specifically, an observer and an outsider; she's just passing through and it's not really in her 'right' to interfere even if it came across as cold. With the zombie plant, you could argue that she could use her magic to firebomb the flower field but with the slave girl, the situation is much more complex. Kill the village chief? Just snatch the slave and run away and risk the village chief using his position to paint a target on the witch wherever she goes? How's she going to handle or take care of her after that etc. Also, the chief's kid is completely ignorant of her plight. There's no easy solution here. This isn't a typical battle manga where you beat down the enemies and move on.

And I disagree with it being a cliffhanger. It implies just enough about the endings. The people are most likely fucked by the zombie flowers while even if the slave girl didn't commit suicide, the meaning is still delivered: she's become even more miserable.

UncleJojo said:
Very well said, it was something that was completely out of her control, and that everything is not sunshine and rainbows.

Akzao said:
I see some ppl complaining why Elaina didnt help them. But why would she? Thats none of her business. She didnt become a witch to help others. She just wants to travel around the world and write her diary. This show is way more realistic than your average anime where MC helps every single person they come across.

Come to think of it, it's pretty much like Star Trek's Prime Directive (which the crew often breaks lol).

-----------------------------
Mod Note: Merged censecutive posts
dipItFooOct 16, 2020 8:57 PM
Oct 16, 2020 7:55 AM

Apr 2019
really liking this so far. We get to see the good, and the bad of our majo no tabitabi

Oct 16, 2020 7:56 AM
Sep 2014
This episode was really disappointing, everything that happened was really unnatural and forced. That's not well written and it's rushed. Imo it's a discount Kino no tabi atm.
Oct 16, 2020 7:59 AM

Jul 2015
Classic example of comfy OP deceiving expectations. This is not comfy at all. It's turning quite dark.

Oct 16, 2020 7:59 AM

Jan 2012
Nilvius said:
Hanfos said:

yea

so many questions

Elaina just wanted to travel and see the world, that's pretty much it. Just so happens she's also talented.

Basically, I see it more like Kino no Tabi, she's a traveler or more specifically, an observer and an outsider; she's just passing through and it's not really in her 'right' to interfere even if it came across as cold. With the zombie plant, you could argue that she could use her magic to firebomb the flower field but with the slave girl, the situation is much more complex. Kill the village chief? Just snatch the slave and run away and risk the village chief using his position to paint a target on the witch wherever she goes? How's she going to handle or take care of her after that etc. Also, the chief's kid is completely ignorant of her plight. There's no easy solution here. This isn't a typical battle manga where you beat down the enemies and move on.

And I disagree with it being a cliffhanger. It implies just enough about the endings. The people are most likely fucked by the zombie flowers while even if the slave girl didn't commit suicide, the meaning is still delivered: she's become even more miserable.

yea i mainly mean those flowers
she could just kill them with fire and no one would blame her for that
that saving the slave would have needed more eps is sure since it would have created drama

but my main problem is that i see no reason why this show was even created
The MC is completely useless, sadistic and narcissistic

and then we get short pointless stories which act like they would have a deep meaning but actually they are stale af

Oct 16, 2020 8:01 AM

Dec 2015
Wait, this is basically just Kino no Tabi but with magic...? Then why is it so popula......
*Cute Sadistic MC*
Oh..... Okay then.
XXXXXXXXXIIIOct 16, 2020 8:07 AM
Oct 16, 2020 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
both of those segments ended pretty grim.

the ones complaining seemed to be spoiled rotten by happy endings and or not paying attention. not everything in art and in life can have happy endings. it didnt hit me till the end of the episode (and agreeing with the recent comments) that Elaina is just a traveler and those issues are really none of her business and she chose that route to avoid danger. could she have save the first country from plant zombies? sure. the slave girl however there’d be more baggage than shed like.
shes learning the world is not as lively as she is used to seeing. they even set the tone for the show in the opening monologue on the first episode about how her home country is like problem-free or whatever the term they used so you are going to get stories like these
Oct 16, 2020 8:06 AM

Oct 2015
so this is why the novel have "tragedy" tag in novelupdates.
And also it become more like Kino No tabi.
Oct 16, 2020 8:08 AM
Apr 2019
LN readerz were telling me there are darker sides of Elaina, guess this episode is proof of that and I simply love it how Elaina refused to be part of other people's stories
Oct 16, 2020 8:10 AM

Oct 2015
Ple0k said:
This episode was really disappointing, everything that happened was really unnatural and forced. That's not well written and it's rushed. Imo it's a discount Kino no tabi atm.

Agree Kino No Tabi , especially the original version is more better.
Oct 16, 2020 8:11 AM
Jul 2019
NakolHira said:
LN readerz were telling me there are darker sides of Elaina, guess this episode is proof of that and I simply love it how Elaina refused to be part of other people's stories
Thats true because Elaina only wants to travel the world and document about it. That’s the whole reason she became a witch in the first place.
Oct 16, 2020 8:12 AM

Apr 2009
Hanfos said:

It's easy to call her useless but consider this: at the end of the day, she's still just a teenage girl going out alone into a world she knows little about. Sure, she knows magic, but knowing magic isn't unique and you never know what other repercussions may occur. Not all stories need to have clear cut solutions to have a point to having it made. Perhaps it's better for you to think of this series to be akin to Twilight Zone style of anthology series with Elaina functioning more like the Rod Serling equivalent who introduces us to the various setting.
Oct 16, 2020 8:13 AM
Jul 2019
NakolHira said:
Thats true because Elaina only wants to travel the world and document about it. That’s the whole reason she became a witch in the first place.
Oct 16, 2020 8:21 AM

Jan 2012
Nilvius said:
Hanfos said:

It's easy to call her useless but consider this: at the end of the day, she's still just a teenage girl going out alone into a world she knows little about. Sure, she knows magic, but knowing magic isn't unique and you never know what other repercussions may occur. Not all stories need to have clear cut solutions to have a point to having it made. Perhaps it's better for you to think of this series to be akin to Twilight Zone style of anthology series with Elaina functioning more like the Rod Serling equivalent who introduces us to the various setting.

ur right
maybe its just a type of anime which doesnt fit me

this anime ep was just as dark like real life every day
ppl get hurt and other ppl which have the power to help stay around and record it with their phone
she doing the same but write it instead in her dairy at the end of the day

i watch anime to get taken in another world and not to watch real life in anime style

Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

276 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.