Forum Settings
Forums

Illegitimate (Duplicate) Account Detection System: Scores Will Be Recalculated Site-Wide

New
Pages (26) « First ... « 21 22 [23] 24 25 » ... Last »
Feb 28, 2020 6:53 AM
May 2018
It was a joke really. I cant believe you guys got so sensitive about it. So what if that hentai meme got 1# Lmao it would have probably boosted this sites views, and its not like the ratings even matter here as most reviewers just review subjectively.

Feb 28, 2020 9:40 AM

Jun 2015
YoyoIsMyNickname said:
It was a joke really. I cant believe you guys got so sensitive about it. So what if that hentai meme got 1# Lmao it would have probably boosted this sites views, and its not like the ratings even matter here as most reviewers just review subjectively.

No one asked nor cared about a random dude boosting the site's views when even the random dude said in his videos that MAL is already having massive views. So what's the point in playing the good Samaritan and then the victim?
Fortune favours the bold!

Feb 28, 2020 9:45 AM

Apr 2018
Damuzen said:
Did Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu get re-evaluated again ?

After the first fix, it was at 9.07, and I just noticed it's now at 9.12 (which is great, and it deserves to be even higher)

I thought it was a glitch at first becuz it suddenly got this much higher but now I think this might be a case why it got higher
Feb 28, 2020 12:06 PM

May 2012
finally LoGH nearly at the top
puting trash anime where it belongs

all hail MAL mods
moeslasherFeb 28, 2020 12:13 PM

Feb 28, 2020 1:01 PM

Oct 2015
Still shocked that Ashita no Joe got its fix by jumping to 8.66 but Aria is still at 8.58 o_õ
Feb 28, 2020 5:19 PM
Mar 2015
Review brigading, especially by fake users, certainly does not belong on third party websites like MAL, but this legitimately concerns me:
"An extra algorithm to discount scores given from legitimate accounts due to the brigade/meme."

If the account is legitimate why would they meme-vote? How is an algorithm supposed to detect this? Might my vote of an anime not be counted because an algorithm thinks it's a meme vote? The very nature of these incidents means that a lot of people will suddenly end up watching whatever anime is in the middle of it all. There will naturally be a flood of legitimate votes from MAL regulars alongside fake accounts. All of us have binged an entire anime in a day off some random YouTube video we've seen and promptly rated it. This behavior can appear to be coordinated even though it's simply the viral nature of the internet at play.

I hope that legitimate accounts are being given the benefit of the doubt. The truly legitimate users aren't going to meme vote, because they are the ones using the site for its intended purpose, and they want others to do so as well. I'd say the average user in this thread has 100+ days and several hundred shows, and I'd like to think at least 90% of these users are legitimate. I sincerely hope this second algorithm is robust enough to respect those who respect the ratings and give honest opinions.
Feb 28, 2020 10:08 PM

Jun 2017
Nice move. Hopefully MAL scores are going to be more reliable in the future.
Feb 28, 2020 11:15 PM

Jun 2008
webM-guy said:
If the account is legitimate why would they meme-vote?

Because they have an account that they use regularly but still want to join in on the meme. Being a normal user and joining vote brigades aren't mutually exclusive.

For the rest of your concerns, I think the section "Vote Brigading" in the first post answers it, particularly this line: "When an individual leads an organized voting raid on a website, instructing his followers to vote yes/no/10/1/5/green⁠—and 15,000+ votes of that specific value come in less than 12 hours, the entry's score has been compromised due to vote brigading."

Simply put, if your own score didn't come in the same time frame as all those (or it wasn't a 10/10), it likely counted as normal. The second algorithm is only meant to be used in extreme cases such as this one where it's extremely clear that there was a vote brigade, not for a sudden - but comparatively small - surge in viewers/scores. Besides, the example you posed (binging an anime off a random YouTube video), while it may certainly create a surge in viewers, it's incredibly unlikely they'd all score it the same, so such an event wouldn't even be on the radar.
Feb 29, 2020 1:01 AM

Apr 2018
Nostalgik said:
Still shocked that Ashita no Joe got its fix by jumping to 8.66 but Aria is still at 8.58 o_õ

Aria the origination score jumped from 8.51 to 8.60 when they fixed it, but yesterday the score drop to 8.58
Feb 29, 2020 1:20 AM

Nov 2013
Good news...Glad you guys went for all that trouble.
Feb 29, 2020 1:39 AM

Oct 2015
HaChiiman said:
Nostalgik said:

Aria the origination score jumped from 8.51 to 8.60 when they fixed it, but yesterday the score drop to 8.58
Yeah but i definitely thought it would go further than that. i remember its score being 8.65+ before the 1/10 nation attacked. and now its just going further down again Q.Q
Feb 29, 2020 3:48 AM

Apr 2018
Nostalgik said:
HaChiiman said:

Yeah but i definitely thought it would go further than that. i remember its score being 8.65+ before the 1/10 nation attacked. and now its just going further down again Q.Q

I thought it would enter the top 10, as it is in RAL ranking http://www.redditanimelist.net/
Feb 29, 2020 6:43 AM

Oct 2015
HaChiiman said:
Nostalgik said:

I thought it would enter the top 10, as it is in RAL ranking http://www.redditanimelist.net/
oh damn, that's amazing! ashita no joe has 8.81 over there, that's cool. I wasn't expecting it on the top 10, that's pretty hard still xD but i was counting on a rise to the 8.80s~ at least :s
(*inner fanboy cries*)
Feb 29, 2020 6:53 AM
Mar 2015
Florete said:
webM-guy said:
If the account is legitimate why would they meme-vote?

...where it's extremely clear that there was a vote brigade, not for a sudden - but comparatively small - surge in viewers/scores...

I agree 100% that some legitimate users will brigade, but the problem I see is that in 100% of instances of brigading, there will also be a surge in legitimate votes. A brigade draws a ton of attention to an anime, and a significant percentage of that attention will be from people with a MAL account (because its userbase dwarfs the subscriber counts of the trolls). I would imagine a small surge in votes for Reviewers started right after the announcement from Funimation, before the massive surge from brigading even began (though a small number, initially, were likely brigading on their own). Sure, the vote of someone with a dead account that just logged on to brigade isn't a vote I even want, but the active users are much less likely to do so, and their votes are important. It's easy to separate the fake, new accounts from the old, legitimate users with hundreds of ratings, but I don't want to see those legitimate user ratings thrown out with all the noise. Those honest opinions are important.

It may be that there's more brigading by the legitimates than I realize, and that throwing them out cannot be helped (in the interest of keeping the score where it was). It's unfortunate but must be done. But when a controversy happens and does draw in legitimate votes, a lot of these votes will be from curious users who checked it out, and won't reflect the actual voting habits of people who were interested in the first place. The case could be made that these votes should not count, but... this behavior already happens with high-scoring anime as well. A show like Madoka Magica (a masterpiece) draws in attention from people who would not normally watch it (plebes?), and these people wonder why it was rated so highly (???), and give it lower votes than those who were interested in the first place.

So a small amount of odd voting behavior that is completely legitimate is 100% guaranteed. It's easy to imagine someone seeing the fuss surrounding Reviewers, checking it out, and giving it a 1 because they hate it. Or a 10 because they think it's amazing (it did have a nearly 20% 10 ratio in the first place, after all). I simply hope there's a way to keep these legitimate votes while throwing out the meme votes. If not, then by all means throw them out as collateral damage. I obviously don't concern myself with the community here much (2 posts!), but I absolutely use the ratings and reviews to help determine if I'm even considering watching something or not, so this issue is one that affects me and most MAL users.
Feb 29, 2020 8:10 AM
Jul 2018
Gintama getting its well deserved place
Feb 29, 2020 10:11 AM

Nov 2015
So from looking at the Visible Changes thing, I get that the Rank and Score are the ones to be changed to discount illegitimate votes, and that the Members count and the Statistics are not. But I have a question: is the Popularity Rank affected one way or another? I know it wasn't mentioned since it had little to do with the main issue of this, but I'm just wondering cuz I like to track that data.
Feb 29, 2020 2:23 PM
Feb 2019
ISOQuorra said:
So from looking at the Visible Changes thing, I get that the Rank and Score are the ones to be changed to discount illegitimate votes, and that the Members count and the Statistics are not. But I have a question: is the Popularity Rank affected one way or another? I know it wasn't mentioned since it had little to do with the main issue of this, but I'm just wondering cuz I like to track that data.

Yes, just seeing Ishuzoku's case, thanks to the voting brigade, it became the anime with most members in this season; obviously, this is a extreme case, but it shows that score manipulation finish affecting also the popularity numbers, at a minor scale in most cases, but it does it anyways.
Feb 29, 2020 5:33 PM

Sep 2017
Yep, more visible changes these last hours/days

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood : 9.23 -> 9.24
Steins;Gate : 9.14 -> 9.13
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu : 9.07 -> 9.12
Gintama' : 9.08 -> 9.10
Your Name : 9.09 -> 9.08
Aria the Origination : 8.60 -> 8.58

Some other series changed too

Made in Abyss 3rd movie was at ~ 8.60 before the fix, fell down around 8.00 right after that and now is back at 8.50

I was surprised to see that change, I thought they were done with fixing the scores, guess I was wrong
Feb 29, 2020 6:58 PM
May 2018
DeathTheKid4 said:
YoyoIsMyNickname said:

No one asked nor cared about a random dude boosting the site's views when even the random dude said in his videos that MAL is already having massive views. So what's the point in playing the good Samaritan and then the victim?

The point is, is that it’s a joke, there is no point behind a joke and to honestly get angry at that is sad.
Feb 29, 2020 8:39 PM
Feb 2020
Jeivee said:
paldinWS said:

There's nothing wrong with each season being rated separately, it's that the score of each succeeding season being increasingly inflated. The only people watching season 2+ are people that finished and enjoyed season 1. You're not going to get the people who rated S1 as bad to come back and rate S2+ as also bad.

The other problem is that when you look at the top 50 anime of all time, most of them are not separate shows, but seasons of the same show. If I were new to anime and wanted a list of suggestions, I could be forgiven for thinking that there's only about a dozen good anime and the rest are just mediocre or bad.

Get those seasons off the top50 list. That's all.

No, not even close.

You can't just say that something like Mob Psycho 100 and Mob Psycho 100 S2 should have shared scores.
That something like One Punch Man and One Punch Man S2 should have shared scores.
That something like Clannad and Clannad: After Story should have shared scores.

A single season can be way different from their sequels. Some were exceptionally better, some were a huge disappointment. And remember, people rate most OVAs way lower than the main show. (e.g. Shokugeki no Soma)

Freeing 10 slots from the Top 50 just to fuck with hundreds of other anime? No, it's not worth it.

Seasons don't belong on anime lists. It's' just that simple. When people want to know what are the top rated anime, it's entirely counter productive to have the same anime show up multiple times in different places on the list.

Is Gintama the best anime of all time or is Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood? I only see FMA:B once, but Gintama is 5th, 6th, 10th 12th, 14th, 15th, 23rd and 28th ranked. Sounds to me like FMA only had one good season and the rest of it was shit, whereas Gintama had a few mediocre seasons but only compared to the two really good seasons. Just think about what you're saying when you have Gintama on the top 50 list eight times.
Mar 1, 2020 1:58 AM

Jun 2015
YoyoIsMyNickname said:
DeathTheKid4 said:

The point is, is that it’s a joke, there is no point behind a joke and to honestly get angry at that is sad.

No, no, no, you can't twist it anymore. I heard it all, from being a joke, to being a goodwill act, to being a protest, to being a joke again and so on. All that Nux, Hero Hei and their fans are doing is twist their statements again and again and again, going in circles and never having a final statement.

Mar 1, 2020 1:30 PM

Feb 2018
Congratulations to everyone involved!👏🎉👏🎉👏🎉👏🎉👏🎉👏🎉👏🎉👏🎉👏🎉👏

Hopefully, now, the trolls will be restrained! Also, Chihayafuru 3 finally has the score it deserves! 🥰 I really do expect this will be last of these trolls. You need to be seriously messed up to meddle with a series' score due to your personal tastes.
Mar 1, 2020 1:46 PM
Jun 2016
Will one day the ability to create Lists will be available,,, here... on myanimeLIST

.... you know like top 100 suspense animes
best animes of 80's etc...
Mar 1, 2020 5:10 PM

Aug 2018
An easier and better job would be to require a social number to prove identity, and don't try to tell me that FMA:B is better than One Piece, sales prove otherwise.
-And the lord poked his head out from the patron clouds, to look down on his followers in chaos and anarchy as the world was already aflame, out he tossed a canister of gasoline, and out from his mouth his words were: "Screw it."
Mar 1, 2020 6:40 PM
Mar 2018
diego_weiller said:
An easier and better job would be to require a social number to prove identity, and don't try to tell me that FMA:B is better than One Piece, sales prove otherwise.
manga sales thats got nothing to do with how well the anime is adapted
Mar 2, 2020 2:19 AM

Apr 2018
tonytakitany said:
Will one day the ability to create Lists will be available,,, here... on myanimeLIST

.... you know like top 100 suspense animes
best animes of 80's etc...

I really wish that too
Mar 2, 2020 3:39 AM
Oct 2012
Today I learned that there are people so free in this world to make sub accounts and downvotes/upvotes their least/most favorite anime
Mar 2, 2020 9:23 AM
Feb 2020
Harucchan said:

Hopefully, now, the trolls will be restrained! Also, Chihayafuru 3 finally has the score it deserves! 🥰 I really do expect this will be last of these trolls. You need to be seriously messed up to meddle with a series' score due to your personal tastes.

Meddle with a series score due to personal taste? You mean like voting a show highly? Isn’t that kinda the whole point of the site? I get that you shouldn’t make multiple accounts or anything but I know there are a lot of shows that I like that people don’t rate highly here (IE the .hack// series) and personally I think gintama is HIGHLY overrated. Is it messed up that I voted a low rated show highly and a high rated show low?
Mar 2, 2020 1:11 PM

Nov 2013
Thank god this is finally in place, the chihayafuru score in particular was very upsetting, I was real worried that it would permanently scare the score, since it's not like these people ever go back and remove their bullshit scores once they no longer care, they just let it sit.

The past few seasons have seen a real rise in this kind of behaviour so I'm glad it's getting fixed, people should try to praise the things they like correctly and dislike the things they dislike correctly to get their points and views across and not just try and spam the system into oblivion to try and trick others into avoiding or looking for different shows.
LOL, your opinion is wrong!
Mar 2, 2020 4:24 PM

Feb 2018
Blindruler said:
Harucchan said:

Meddle with a series score due to personal taste? You mean like voting a show highly? Isn’t that kinda the whole point of the site? I get that you shouldn’t make multiple accounts or anything but I know there are a lot of shows that I like that people don’t rate highly here (IE the .hack// series) and personally I think gintama is HIGHLY overrated. Is it messed up that I voted a low rated show highly and a high rated show low?

Honey, read what I wrote. I didn't say you can't rate the shows based on your personal tastes, I said it's messed up to meddle with the scores based on your personal tastes. One individual scores makes no difference... By meddling, it's implicit I'm talking about the trolls.

Instead of trying to pick a fight, I advise you to read a second time or to improve your interpretation abilities.

Passar bem, amadah
Mar 2, 2020 6:05 PM

Jun 2015
FullyCharged said:
YoyoIsMyNickname said:

Leave that loser alone.
He's crying on the forums, twitter, anywhere possible, since this thing started.

Stop stalking me, thank you

Mar 2, 2020 6:56 PM

Oct 2012
Something I noticed when checking the score for Skelter Heaven is that this process has dropped some titles underneath the 50 user limit to have a weighted score. Skelter Heaven is currently at 10105 on the chart, but before the change rolled in it was at 10291. While it is unlikely to actually matter in the long run due to their low popularity, it is curious to note this unintended side effect.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 3, 2020 3:33 AM

Jun 2009
LoGH now back up to where it belongs, 9.12.

Very satisfied, thank you Kineta and crew.
Mar 3, 2020 4:32 AM

Sep 2017
Aaaand say hello to Gintama°, suddenly bursting into the 2nd place

Wasn't expected, but I'm pleased
Mar 3, 2020 10:47 AM

Aug 2019
Happy to see Gintama° in 2nd. Unfortunately seeing a lot of 1 votes when looking at its stats though.
Mar 3, 2020 4:29 PM

Jan 2019
This recalibration has screwed up the whole system. We were getting close to having all of Gintama out of the 9 star range, but now one of the 5 million seasons is #2. Gintama is trash. If I had 2 wishes, first would be the deletion of Hunter x Hunter from all of time and space, and second would be the same for Gintama. Gintama is trash.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Mar 3, 2020 5:05 PM

Jun 2015
winfoharso said:
This recalibration has screwed up the whole system. We were getting close to having all of Gintama out of the 9 star range, but now one of the 5 million seasons is #2. Gintama is trash. If I had 2 wishes, first would be the deletion of Hunter x Hunter from all of time and space, and second would be the same for Gintama. Gintama is trash.

So much salt in here

Mar 3, 2020 6:14 PM

Oct 2017
winfoharso said:

LMAO, this is too salty.

Mar 3, 2020 9:27 PM
Oct 2010
winfoharso said:

Unlimited Salt Works LOL
Mar 4, 2020 3:26 AM

Sep 2011
winfoharso said:

I do agree Gintama is heavily overrated. I haven’t watch HxH so I wouldn’t mention my opinion for that.
Mar 4, 2020 3:27 AM

Sep 2011
The MAL team is working pretty hard. Thank you guys for your time and hard work! 🙂
Mar 4, 2020 5:14 AM

Feb 2012
While I do appreciate the effort, a couple of years ago I did think about writing a crawler that would run a similar analysis, and then I understood why it is completely useless: all a fake account needs to do is to clone a genuine account before adding the troll scores. This makes them completely undetectable, and this is the reason why anime like HxH and FMA didn't get hit hard (if someone remembers back in 2014 before the vote brigading started, HxH wasn't even in top 10: below Clannad, below Gintama, below Code Geass)

So there are still a lot of fake votes counted, and more will start coming as soon as people realize they just have to make their fake account indistinguishable from the real ones...
Humans are suspicious and jealous creatures. When they see something perfect, they wanna find a flaw.

Ratohnhaketon said:
You have much to learn if you have not joined the witch hunt to down vote every anime that rises above our underrated favorites. I am currently on a campaign to get Training with Hinako into the top 12. Shit taste is hard to fight though, it's like trying to talk sense to an army of hallucinating loonies.
Ty-Ki said:
It's hilarious to see morons wasting more time with the series they hate so much than the fans of it.
Mar 4, 2020 6:13 AM

Apr 2018
They said that the recalculation of scores will continue for a 7 days, but I still notice some clear changes and this is good, but how did Violet Evergarden up from 8.62 to 8.80 only this morning !!
Mar 4, 2020 6:20 AM

Aug 2018
HaChiiman said:
They said that the recalculation of scores will continue for a 7 days, but I still notice some clear changes and this is good, but how did Violet Evergarden up from 8.62 to 8.80 only this morning !!

back then VEG got downvotted a lot by sora yori boosters,maybe the bots account got detected now?
Mar 4, 2020 6:49 AM

Apr 2018
noregretmyman said:
HaChiiman said:

back then VEG got downvotted a lot by sora yori boosters,maybe the bots account got detected now?

I don't think so, it has just 0.3% of 1, even if you removed them all the score will not increase with +0.18
Mar 4, 2020 8:31 AM

Oct 2018
Violet Evergarden went from 8.62 to 8.80

Never thought it was down voted that heavily
Mar 4, 2020 8:39 AM

Oct 2018
winfoharso said:

Saltier than the oceans.
Mar 4, 2020 12:59 PM

May 2011
Salty but right, though. Gintama is highly overrated, indeed. I'd understand entries being maybe part of top 200, but having 3 ones at the top 10? Better ranked than classics like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell or the best of Miyazaki's best?
* sniff *
* sniff * odor of dog poo poo in there.
Mar 4, 2020 1:36 PM

May 2012
This should include banning multis.
Mar 4, 2020 1:59 PM

Sep 2014
-Aincrad- said:
winfoharso said:

Saltier than the oceans.

Salty maybe but he is entirely right.
Pages (26) « First ... « 21 22 [23] 24 25 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Genres/Themes System Change Log

Kineta - Oct 2

43 by Kristiwazhere »»
7 hours ago

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jul 30

368 by haskellith »»
11 hours ago

» Export Manga List (Anime List too). ( 1 2 )

Xinil - Sep 19, 2007

50 by vgalvis »»
Oct 16, 4:54 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Fall 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Sep 12

152 by toniportelli525 »»
Oct 15, 6:45 PM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Feb 23

254 by GoldenCash »»
Oct 7, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.