Forum Settings
Forums

Illegitimate (Duplicate) Account Detection System: Scores Will Be Recalculated Site-Wide

New
Pages (26) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Feb 12, 2020 5:37 PM
Nov 2008
Also votes while you're still watching the show should not count.
Feb 12, 2020 5:40 PM

Oct 2019
-Rogue said:
So, what are the criteria for an account to be deemed as a troll/botaccount?

They're keeping it close to the chest because people may find a loophole in their system if they give a way too much
Watch FLCL. Got it
Feb 12, 2020 5:40 PM
Jan 2019
I have one suspicion that after so much down voting snks3p2 score increased just a bit
Feb 12, 2020 5:43 PM

Nov 2010
erejnion said:
PepperShaker64 said:

As was said people who continue to use the site and vote on anime will have their scores validated as they are considered more likely to be legitimate.
How? They give the example with Vinland Saga fans giving Chihayafuru S3 1/10. These are again votes by active users. But these users have obviously not seen the anime in question.

So how do you differ between these users and users who have legitimately enjoyed something? Ishuzoku's page has 60 different reviews that give it 10/10, are these illegitimate too?

Can't see any mention about Vinland Saga fans in the OP, but that example would mean that a small number of supposed Vinland Saga fans created alt accounts to rate Chihayafuru 3 with 1 in addition to their active account. The scores of those alt accounts are now effectively made meaningless.
Feb 12, 2020 5:49 PM
Jan 2020
I don't particularly look away the scores anyway. I read the episode forums or the text reviews. To boil it down to a single number would be difficult to get your feelings across. Some shows I thought ent great, but will still rate them higher due to out of show reasons.
Feb 12, 2020 5:52 PM
Nov 2008
Oh yeah, Orochiro, I forgot what was what. Only Ishuzoku fell to the new brigading stuff, Chihaya was only for botneting the score.

The point still stands: if those who'd vote 10/10 for Ishuzoku have already voted, what happens with their votes.
Feb 12, 2020 5:52 PM

Feb 2012
I have no idea why these people are so concerned over a score on MyAnimeList? Even if it were compromised or the devs are somehow wrong about their algorithm, which obviously isn't the case, so what? The website is for people who use it and that creates an average among that community. A bunch of people who aren't a part of the regular scoring system and won't continue to be in the future shouldn't be counted towards the score anyway.

Again, if they're not included, who cares? The website isn't for them anyway since they've never used it in the past and won't in the future.

obvious_troll said:
New accounts rating shouldn't count inaverage score. Only the accounts that are old and have significant activity in forms etc... Should count. Kinda like stack overflow. You are not allowed to vote or comment unless you built enough reputation.

That's not completely correct. You can vote and your vote will be recorded, but it will only count when you meet the criteria (e.g. certain amount of reputation). It will be retroactively applied which is how I understand MAL is dealing with the scores as well. This is why 10/10s from 10 year old accounts will count while 10/10s from month old accounts will not.
Zei33Feb 12, 2020 5:58 PM
Feb 12, 2020 5:58 PM
Sep 2010
So people who score 1/10 get a free pass?
Feb 12, 2020 5:58 PM

Jun 2012
Will be interesting to see all the hated anime get higher scores now haha
Feb 12, 2020 6:02 PM

Jun 2015
Robmo said:

No, 1/10 from trolls/bots get hit as well. Read the OP
Fortune favours the bold!

Feb 12, 2020 6:04 PM
Sep 2010
DeathTheKid4 said:
Robmo said:

No, 1/10 from trolls get hit as well. Read the OP

I did. It contradicts itself constantly
Feb 12, 2020 6:11 PM

Jun 2015
Robmo said:
DeathTheKid4 said:

No, 1/10 from trolls get hit as well. Read the OP

I did. It contradicts itself constantly

Looks pretty clear to me: https://imgur.com/a/8V859sN

Feb 12, 2020 6:13 PM

Jan 2008
Naruleach said:
I'm so glad to see this finally come to fruition. MAL is and should stay a reliable resource for anime and manga fans. Cheers to more development in the future!

I don't think it can ever be 100% reliable, but this measure definitely gets it closer to being as ideally accurate as one could hope for. Hopefully those youtubers back off.

TheFirmSword said:
Such a pity I can guarantee you this still doesn't change anything.
MAL ratings are still irrelevant.
And the change in the top and some other few anime doesn't matter and no one cares.
People with legit accounts still will continue to influence the score.
So instead of recounting those stupid scores please improve on basis of how a anime should be scored.

"And the change in the top and some other few anime doesn't matter and no one cares."

There's over 3000 pages of discussion and argument in another thread to prove you otherwise.
Feb 12, 2020 6:17 PM

Oct 2019
shirakawa_megumi said:

You used hate flavored speech towards regular, or even below regular as I'm in oppressed minority here. Calling me "silly fella" is clear abuse of your power, and I feel offended, I have suicidal thought right now because I'm not that strong psychically you know? You think that it's okay to bully me?

I don't even want to try to understand the Japanese you suddenly started writing, but this is just hilarious.

You throw insults at a site admin and the site in general, but then feel offended when they call you a really harmless name and prove that they have the technology to see that sort of stuff (like Google Analytics which is abundantly clear by the "www.googletagservices.com/tag/js/gpt.js" script in the source).

MAL definitely isn't a cutting edge web app and has some faults, but it's a good site nonetheless. Get outta here with that crap.
Feb 12, 2020 6:20 PM
Nov 2015
I've been using this website as a guide for quite a long time, but that's the first time I get to see its workings, and honestly it seems pretty disgusting.

The new system looks good, but using personal attacks against users, public figures and your core demographics, usually is the not the best of ideas.

Also, using volunteers to do work that should be paid is like, the 1st in the book of how to be an evil corporation.

I really wonder what else has been hidden.
Feb 12, 2020 6:23 PM
Jan 2012
DarkSwordsmanTV said:
shirakawa_megumi said:

You used hate flavored speech towards regular, or even below regular as I'm in oppressed minority here. Calling me "silly fella" is clear abuse of your power, and I feel offended, I have suicidal thought right now because I'm not that strong psychically you know? You think that it's okay to bully me?

I don't even want to try to understand the Japanese you suddenly started writing, but this is just hilarious.

You throw insults at a site admin and the site in general, but then feel offended when they call you a really harmless name and prove that they have the technology to see that sort of stuff (like Google Analytics which is abundantly clear by the "www.googletagservices.com/tag/js/gpt.js" script in the source).

MAL definitely isn't a cutting edge web app and has some faults, but it's a good site nonetheless. Get outta here with that crap.

Where do I insulted "admin"?

Also why would commenting about state of this site would be bad? It's not allowed to do that?

MAL isn't "web app". It's "website". With very archaic feeling to it.

Also there is something called "position of power", moderator insulting user is more concerning that user insulting someone. You can ban user, you can destroy that user life and dignity, but mods will always stick together and laugh while counting money they make from this site.

Also watch more anime, then you will be able to understand what I've written in 日本語。
As an disgusting thing deemed by moderation team, I am now purged from this place.
Feb 12, 2020 6:25 PM

Oct 2019
Rmoura said:

The new system looks good, but using personal attacks against users, public figures and your core demographics, usually is the not the best of ideas.

I'm not sure what you're talking about?

Rmoura said:

Also, using volunteers to do work that should be paid is like, the 1st in the book of how to be an evil corporation.

They're volunteers. They can stop working whenever they want. And does it not occur to you that sites like these have to maintain servers, domains, and other things with money?
Feb 12, 2020 6:34 PM

Jun 2015
Rmoura said:
I've been using this website as a guide for quite a long time, but that's the first time I get to see its workings, and honestly it seems pretty disgusting.

I really wonder what else has been hidden.

Except that the fact that the mods are working for free has been known for ages, it isn't a secret. Get out with this agenda. It's not working.

Feb 12, 2020 6:38 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
shirakawa_megumi said:
icebergmm said:
Aren't these English language forums? If I'm wrong, then by all means ignore me.

Sory, I imigranto furom Weebooland. Only speekuu Weebongo.

But really, I mean, I just put one line in Japanese at end of my fist comment, then Pipe quoted me with response in Japanese (but also in English, he wrote "lol, kidding :P"!)

Then I had ecstasy rush because I was very happy about that and wrote him long response!

Are you feel offended by that or what? I'm sorry :(

To be honest, in past I always though that like 99% of people who are into anime, would be learning Japanese hard. Seems like this isn't the case.

あたし...私は女性です。日本語で話せてうれしいです。

@icebergmm Yes, you are right. I will continue in English, I wanted to answer a small phrase xD

Feb 12, 2020 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
Attention admins/mods: Please remove my account from this site.
This is not acceptable.
Feb 12, 2020 6:43 PM
Feb 2020
So with all the new updates and being a new user will I be able to keep my account?
Feb 12, 2020 6:44 PM

Oct 2014
trent5309 said:
SO a YouTuber or two encouraged his/her followers to create MAL accounts? This person or these persons sent possibly over 1M new viewers your way, and you're upset about that? From a marketing perspective, it's pure genius and amazing free advertising! You should try to get multiple YouTubers to do this - your ad revenue will skyrocket!

If you are going to discount new viewership due to the source, why would viewers want to visit your site?

I came to the site because I heard about the situation and wanted to see it for myself. First thing I see is not some exciting new or controversial anime, but this thread. If you are going to consider my rating / opinion as worthless just because a YouTuber suggested I come to your site, why should I stay?

Nice Try :P
Message me for Fate/ information
Feb 12, 2020 6:45 PM

Oct 2014
someguy9393 said:
So with all the new updates and being a new user will I be able to keep my account?

Read the OP again. EVERYONE keeps their account.
Message me for Fate/ information
Feb 12, 2020 6:47 PM

Oct 2019
shirakawa_megumi said:

Where do I insulted "admin"?

Right here:

shirakawa_megumi said:
I'll checked and you are 34 year old boomer, so you may not understand that! Hope you learned something useful today! Safe travels!

shirakawa_megumi said:

Also why would commenting about state of this site would be bad? It's not allowed to do that?

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion on a site.

shirakawa_megumi said:

Also there is something called "position of power", moderator insulting user is more concerning that user insulting someone. You can ban user, you can destroy that user life and dignity, but mods will always stick together and laugh while counting money they make from this site.

Yep, and they hold that position of power so they can actually run the site. This is not a democracy. If it was, then the site wouldn't be maintained nearly as well.

shirakawa_megumi said:

Also watch more anime, then you will be able to understand what I've written in 日本語。

私の日本語は苦手です。ごめんなさい。翻訳を支援するためにプログラムを使用しています。

However, don't think that I don't watch a lot of anime. I only just made my MAL account 5 months ago. I have easily seen 5 or 6 times the amount of anime that is listed on my profile.
Feb 12, 2020 6:48 PM
Jan 2012
Pipe said:
shirakawa_megumi said:

Sory, I imigranto furom Weebooland. Only speekuu Weebongo.

But really, I mean, I just put one line in Japanese at end of my fist comment, then Pipe quoted me with response in Japanese (but also in English, he wrote "lol, kidding :P"!)

Then I had ecstasy rush because I was very happy about that and wrote him long response!

Are you feel offended by that or what? I'm sorry :(

To be honest, in past I always though that like 99% of people who are into anime, would be learning Japanese hard. Seems like this isn't the case.

あたし...私は女性です。日本語で話せてうれしいです。

@icebergmm Yes, you are right. I will continue in English, I wanted to answer a small phrase xD

People get offended by Japanese on anime forum/site. Dark times ahead. Raw and subbed anime would be illegal. MAL already getting rid of Japanese titles of anime. :(

"あたし...私は女性です。日本語で話せてうれしいです。"

Well I didn't call you by any "sex/gender" specific word or use any specific phrases that would question that. All what I wrote still stands no matter if you are 男性 or 女性. Unless you just wanted to tell me that you are 女性. Or that you prefer to address you with other honorific than "さん".

Also, feel free to use あたし and drop keigo, by the power and logic of anime we are already friends, so you don't have to use polite speech!!!

As an disgusting thing deemed by moderation team, I am now purged from this place.
Feb 12, 2020 6:48 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
someguy9393 said:

Yes, none is going to be banned.

Feb 12, 2020 6:54 PM
Feb 2018
Kineta said:

gamers12 said:
Then they should remove that Stats page all together if stats doesn't reflect score any more. It becomes confusing. When I made same calculation earlier my score was almost the same as in MAL calculation.
It was our intention to remove the score histogram with this update for the same reasons you state. However, after discussing it with the moderators and some 3rd party developers, we decided to keep it. The argument was that the majority of series in the database are not rating trolled, and it would be removing interesting information from most entries due to a select number of corrupted entries. Thus, we opted to keep it for now and remove it later if necessary.

That said, you've never been able to perfectly calculate the score from the stats, due to cache and weighted scoring.

Thanks for link. It was interesting to look at formula. But as I see it, it is impossible to calculate using that formula because we have no access to inside data.

But still my calculation wasn't wrong. I compared to other animations and score was almost the same.

Just I don't like (or understand) this point: "C = The mean score across the entire Anime/Manga database." Does that mean that other anime influences final score of set anime? If so that would be wrong to do so.

Edit: Oh, now I understood. I calculated this score: "S = Average score for the anime/manga".

Edit2: I just calculated for another anime and my score was 1:1 the same.
gamers12Feb 12, 2020 7:09 PM
Feb 12, 2020 6:56 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
malicegeminexus said:
Attention admins/mods: Please remove my account from this site.
This is not acceptable.

The decision of removing or not your account depends only on you. But in any case, you can visit Account Deletion. I hope that these changes that are for the site improvement do not make you quit.

Feb 12, 2020 6:57 PM

Oct 2015
Not too bad, though i thought the whole pingu thing was funny.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Feb 12, 2020 6:59 PM
Jan 2012
@DarkSwordsmanTV message=59133808]

Where do I insulted "admin"?[/quote]

Right here:

shirakawa_megumi said:
I'll checked and you are 34 year old boomer, so you may not understand that! Hope you learned something useful today! Safe travels!

Is fact that person is 34 offensive? I said that, because that person said things like "told their 1+ mln subscribers to vote", but being subscribed don't mean anything. Or are you telling me, that "boomer" is offensive? I thought every cool kid uses that, like come on. Please forgive me, I don't speak English that well, I must have misunderstood this! I would remember now!

shirakawa_megumi said:

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion on a site.

Well unless it's opinion which the site demigods sitting up there in their ivory towers deem to be not allowed.

shirakawa_megumi said:

Yep, and they hold that position of power so they can actually run the site. This is not a democracy. If it was, then the site wouldn't be maintained nearly as well.

Well, I didn't said otherwise, but it's like boss fucking employee. You know, not ethical, I must obey or I lose my account. Unless they are my long lost blood related sister, with modest boobs, kemonomimi and long blond-pink hair I don't want to have forced sexual relationships with them!

shirakawa_megumi said:

私の日本語は苦手です。ごめんなさい。翻訳を支援するためにプログラムを使用しています。

However, don't think that I don't watch a lot of anime. I only just made my MAL account 5 months ago. I have easily seen 5 or 6 times the amount of anime that is listed on my profile.

Oh that's fine. At least you aren't Japanese-rejecting individual. Also Japanese level don't raise if you watch dubbed anime!

shirakawa_megumiFeb 12, 2020 7:27 PM
Feb 12, 2020 7:10 PM

Feb 2020
Strayfe said:
icebergmm said:
Just my two cents. If you look at the age of my account I'm probably one of those hit by collateral damage, and that's okay. Collateral damage was to be expected with any plan that would have been effective.

Even if it were, it's not like your vote would have its weight lost forever. It's really similar to other forums or even some video games that employ a (no PM), or (No new thread) policy until a user reaches a certain level, or account age, or arbitrary point threshhold.

And just about nobody complains about those minor barriers.

Those points are exactly why I'm okay with it. 👍
Feb 12, 2020 7:24 PM
May 2010
So the stats will remain forever wrong?
Feb 12, 2020 7:29 PM

Aug 2019
Thank God. Even if people genuinely enjoy Ishuzoku Reviewers (hell I'm watching it even), it's ridiculous of people to defend blatant vote brigading whether or not a few of those votes may be legitimate.
And at his feet they'll cast their golden crowns
When the man comes around.
Feb 12, 2020 7:43 PM

Oct 2013
thigadasil said:
So the stats will remain forever wrong?

I think it's the best compromise to be honest. The stats remain as they are, but average score is fixed, and there are no "automatic deletion of duplicate accounts" which could've been really problematic and i.e. cause problems to legitimate users.
Feb 12, 2020 7:44 PM
Feb 2020
This website is absolute garbage. Apparently we aren't even allowed to question the admin or put in any input. Fine I understand you hate a large portion of your users. We will all be leaving this 1984 fascist dystopia behind. Have a nice day
Feb 12, 2020 7:47 PM
Feb 2020
Damn u suck mal
Feb 12, 2020 7:49 PM
Feb 2020
This place is a perfect example of institutionalization. Same tactics which were used to demonize every oppressed race in history
Feb 12, 2020 7:54 PM

Sep 2016
I you guys are looking for good way to organize the ratings Edwin B. Wilson figured out a way using some pretty intense math back in 1927. In addition to what y'all are doing maybe implementing his equation would help. (https://www.evanmiller.org/how-not-to-sort-by-average-rating.html) here's a nice little article on the whole shebang. Hope fully y'all can use it to at least add a feature for better sorting
Feb 12, 2020 7:55 PM
Nov 2011
Hey mods, with this new rating that’s happening, I was wondering about certain score inflation.

Season 2, 3 etc of a show ofc will be much higher naturally since only the people that liked or loved season 1 will be still watching. Is that not unfair to score them separately with a “normal” rating standard? I believe they should either have a weight added to them based on their previous season ratings or have ratings for a show as a whole rather than by season so that the show holistically has a score and not an inflated score that occurs from it having votes predominantly from only fans of the show that stuck around to keep watching it.

While I’m at it, I got nothing against Gintama, but why does it need to take up like 8 spots (idk exact number but still) in the top anime when it’s just for 1 manga? I feel it can be reorganized in some better way like perhaps only showing gintama (or any other show with multiple seasons for that matter) as 1 slot/avg score for the show, then if people click on gintama, they can see the separate scores for each season. Something like this or some other idea the MAL design people could come up with imo would be greatly appreciated.
Feb 12, 2020 7:56 PM
Mar 2018
i don't understand these people that are upset they have been working on this for 6 months not just because some youtuber told hes sheep to spam 10s IR still has almost 2000 10 votes that count
Feb 12, 2020 7:58 PM
Mar 2018
MasterElvis said:
Hey mods, with this new rating that’s happening, I was wondering about certain score inflation.

Season 2, 3 etc of a show ofc will be much higher naturally since only the people that liked or loved season 1 will be still watching. Is that not unfair to score them separately with a “normal” rating standard? I believe they should either have a weight added to them based on their previous season ratings or have ratings for a show as a whole rather than by season so that the show holistically has a score and not an inflated score that occurs from it having votes predominantly from only fans of the show that stuck around to keep watching it.

While I’m at it, I got nothing against Gintama, but why does it need to take up like 8 spots (idk exact number but still) in the top anime when it’s just for 1 manga? I feel it can be reorganized in some better way like perhaps only showing gintama (or any other show with multiple seasons for that matter) as 1 slot/avg score for the show, then if people click on gintama, they can see the separate scores for each season. Something like this or some other idea the MAL design people could come up with imo would be greatly appreciated.
i really like this idea gintama definitely the best example of sequel inflation
Feb 12, 2020 7:58 PM

Jul 2009
PawzMeow said:
Oh, lemme import my list to kitsu and ABANDON MY ACCOUNT CAUSE YOU DON'T PAY YOUR WORKERS APPARENTLY

Janbeersma said:
So you basically admit owning a site that makes multiple thousands of dollars per day but yet you don't pay your staff. Damn that is absolutely uncool

Rmoura said:

You people do know that Wikipedia, Reddit, and a plethora of other sites have unpaid moderators and contributors too, right? Why is MAL any different? Not everyone volunteers for a paycheck, you know.
Feb 12, 2020 8:00 PM

Jan 2008
Dubstepweeb56 said:
This website is absolute garbage. Apparently we aren't even allowed to question the admin or put in any input. Fine I understand you hate a large portion of your users. We will all be leaving this 1984 fascist dystopia behind. Have a nice day

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1823998

You can question and argue and debate and complain in this thread all you want. It's over 3000 pages of complaining, actually.
Feb 12, 2020 8:03 PM

Feb 2020
Skittles said:
PawzMeow said:
Oh, lemme import my list to kitsu and ABANDON MY ACCOUNT CAUSE YOU DON'T PAY YOUR WORKERS APPARENTLY

Janbeersma said:
So you basically admit owning a site that makes multiple thousands of dollars per day but yet you don't pay your staff. Damn that is absolutely uncool

Rmoura said:

You people do know that Wikipedia, Reddit, and a plethora of other sites have unpaid moderators and contributors too, right? Why is MAL any different?

I'm pretty sure the people they keep repeating from have their own unpaid mods on their subreddits, and discords...
icebergmmFeb 12, 2020 8:12 PM
Feb 12, 2020 8:09 PM

Mar 2012
It's apparent that people didn't even know what they are talking about.

Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 12, 2020 8:12 PM

Jul 2009
icebergmm said:
I'm pretty sure the people they keep repeating from have their own unpaid mods on their reddits, and discords...

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised. Discord is another good example, so it's good you mention that.

NeoAnkara said:
It's apparent that people didn't even know what they are talking about.

Thank you, sincerely. Some people here do need to be shown the textbook definition, apparently.
SkittlesFeb 12, 2020 8:19 PM
Feb 12, 2020 8:15 PM
Jan 2012
Skittles said:
icebergmm said:
I'm pretty sure the people they keep repeating from have their own unpaid mods on their reddits, and discords...

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised. Discord is another good example, so it's good you mention that.

Nobody works for free, don't try to deceive us, even if you like to do work, which makes owners and small group of elites rich, you do it, because you like your power, it makes you all tingly and overflowing with weird feeling of joy.

Feb 12, 2020 8:16 PM

Jan 2008
Skittles said:
icebergmm said:

I still think the mods on here deserve to be paid. But I think that's a completely separate issue from the ratings issue. I don't get why Nux and pals even used that as a point of contention.
Feb 12, 2020 8:25 PM

Feb 2020
Strayfe said:

I still think the mods on here deserve to be paid. But I think that's a completely separate issue from the ratings issue. I don't get why Nux and pals even used that as a point of contention.

Low hanging fruit probably
Feb 12, 2020 8:37 PM

Feb 2017
no justice for pingu in the city.
roll back and froze the score, haha great joke.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Pages (26) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 )

Kineta - May 23

97 by RobbiRobb »»
4 hours ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

145 by Vulpix98 »»
7 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

246 by tingy »»
8 hours ago

» Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 6, 2021

404 by bastek66 »»
Yesterday, 7:41 PM

» Planned 3hr Maintenance, Wednesday May 29 @ 1am-4am PT

Kineta - May 26

0 by Kineta »»
May 26, 3:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.