Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 28, 2020 8:53 PM

Feb 2015
Renkini said:
@salarx @Polycell @Milennin

Thanks guys, I don't play mobile games very much so your advice really helped.

One more question. I see most of you push the idea of taking advantage of events. Is it favored to play the event stages again and again even tho I aced them all with 3 stars in Normal Mode? (Challenge Mode sounds hard so I don't dare to touch it yet)

And I still don't have Isuzu Ren ;(

Running the event stages aain and again is pretty much the way to go. For the current event, playing Story 2 is the best currency grind. It also drops Chains at a reasonable rate, and at only 5 AP per run, it's really good. From the event shop, always get the Fate Weave Tickets, Rainbow Orbs and limited CC stock. After that, get whichever you need the most.
The recent tutorial overhaul gave out a ticket that let you choose a 4☆ girl. You didn't use it on Ren?
Jan 28, 2020 10:39 PM

Mar 2018
Milennin said:
The recent tutorial overhaul gave out a ticket that let you choose a 4☆ girl. You didn't use it on Ren?

Not sure what's this 'tutorial overhaul' thing is. Are'ya talking about Mitama's Special Training which ended sometimes ago? Just to be sure, we're talking about NA version where the current event is "Voices from Beyond", right?

And I just knew Ren is good literally yesterday so I had no idea to pull her beforehand. The 4☆ I'm currently using is lvl.80 Madoka.

Jan 29, 2020 12:30 AM

Feb 2015
Renkini said:
Milennin said:

Not sure what's this 'tutorial overhaul' thing is. Are'ya talking about Mitama's Special Training which ended sometimes ago? Just to be sure, we're talking about NA version where the current event is "Voices from Beyond", right?

And I just knew Ren is good literally yesterday so I had no idea to pull her beforehand. The 4☆ I'm currently using is lvl.80 Madoka.

Everyone got a choose 4☆ ticket some weeks ago because the tutorial now gives out a guaranteed 4☆.

Madoka is super good though.
Jan 29, 2020 5:05 PM
Jan 2013
I was actually surprised to see they included the shopping part. It seemed like the sort of thing they would cut.

Also...
Jan 29, 2020 8:00 PM

Oct 2008
i feel like something bad is gonna happen! but not to the point wherein somebody falls...but sure it's getting darker! but not feeling any kind of despair.
4/5.

Jan 30, 2020 12:08 AM

Nov 2011
Knew this wasn't going to be as good as the original, but God, this has been really meh, went it with low expectations, still dashed!

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 30, 2020 7:30 AM
Jun 2016
salarx said:
Shueisha said:
Is it me or was it one of the most useless and forced fight scene in animation history? It was like seeing a random battle in a RPG, nothing during or after had any consequence at all

The witch had as much significance to the plot as the existence of Kyoko in the original anime.

Seeing people dropping a madoka show which came after 9 years :(

Agree... I am the kind of madoka fans that will always support any madoka content. because, i just want more madoka and not want madoka franchise to die. Even, if I got money someday, I will definitely invest in Madoka project with Shaft.

Renkini said:
salarx said:
Like seriously where the hell are true PMMM fans?
You called? Here's one. Tbh, I was skeptical at first with MagiReco because it's just a "side story" but when I started watching episode 1, it reconfirmed my love for the franchise so I even started playing the game now. I don't frequent this forum just because I know people won't be satisfied with this unless it has Mami's death 2.0. (They will probably complain too if has one imo, like how it's 'predictable' hurr durr durr)

Relax guys, don't expect one more dark magical girl show just because it has the name 'Madoka' on it. It clearly said 'Side Story' in the title. And it's not like it can get a surprise attack like it was with its ancestor when we know it's coming (and expecting). So they took a safe route, that's all. Just FYI, the anime is trying its hardest to be as gloomy as the original while still following the game's story (which is clearly less 'dark' than the original) without derailing. In game:

- Mitama is more weird/into yuri than the anime version
- Tsuruno is a lot more hyper
- Nanami is not that stoic, she was more like a straightman
- The trio (Momoko, Rena, Kaede) and Iroha had funny moments during Staircase arc

The anime omitted them all, not only to condense the story but also to retain the original atmosphere.

My point is, don't expect Madoka Magica Season 2 from this, or you'll be disappointed. There will be proper sequel to the 3rd movie for that. This is just a spinoff where normal magical girls doing normal magical girl things, but with a bit of mystery. People need to see that.

Now the thing I want to complain is the game's spartan gameplay. Is it even possible to increase the level cap of girls? Those items demand too much farming. Now I'm stuck at Ch.4 Ep.5 because one of my girls always bites the dust preventing me from getting 3 stars.

I am here, too!

Wait, what? any resource for Rebellion sequel?

Mod Edit: Double Post Merged
Fleeting_DreamFeb 1, 2020 9:08 AM
Jan 30, 2020 11:45 AM
Dec 2018
dindasmart said:

Next year Madoka Magica completes 10 years, expect some announcement by then (Feels like Magia Record will connect to it somehow, we'll see).
Jan 30, 2020 4:08 PM
Jun 2019
Greyleaf said:
Wow, this episode was legitimately pathetic. I'm a huge fan of the original Madoka, but this series is truly chocking up to absolutely nothing at all. The direction is shoddy, the narrative is entirely disjointed, and WTF is with the pacing? Ugh, this is basically a S;G 0 incident all over again. I'll continue to give it the benefit of the doubt as it's not too late for Magia to redeem itself, but this is really, really bad.

Thedirectionisshoddythedirectionisshoddythedirectionisshoddy
Jan 30, 2020 9:07 PM

Mar 2018
dindasmart said:

(You probably already knew this but) 5 years ago, there was this phantasmal trailer-like thingy which may or may not serve as the concept for Rebellion sequel. It was long lost in time ages ago when Magia Record wasn't even a thing so I regret to say it's not a hard proof but only a small fleeting hope.

But I feel like this Side Story is just a giant buildup for upcoming sequel, if they have any plan to make one.

Jan 31, 2020 7:22 AM
Aug 2015
Phosphollite said:
Iroha apparently has an ability that increases the power of another magical girl it seems? Totally came out of nowhere and genuinely confused me for a second, I really wish this was explained for those who haven't played (much of) the game.

The people who translate the runes that appear in the original Madoka anime and Magia Record anime have found that the runes that appear while a girl is increasing another girls power translate to "connect".

The ability to connect in the anime is given by the Coordinator(her symbol appears on the connect), but in the game, the Coordinator just strengthens peoples magic but Iroha clearly wasn't made stronger in the anime.

Iroha didn't do the connect properly due to only just getting the ability in episode 3, the runes when she did the connect translated to something like "cnnoetc"
Jan 31, 2020 1:13 PM
Dec 2018
Eroha said:
salarx said:

Oh I meant it's hard to tell what she was trying to do when she used connect. Didn't really notice the connect symbol had the letters jumbled (will have to learn the runes for that). Have to give it to Shaft for such a minor detail.

well you don't even have to learn the runes, just a simple google search and you can translate them rune by rune (only if the runes translate directly to english tho, the original had some translating to german and a few other languages)

I have downloaded a font file of the runes, the only problem is to guess if there's something interesting in those runes (mostly it's the name of the witch, but this time, they jumbled up the letters). Only people comfortable with runes can detect such minor details. I'll probably mistake runes for Japanese if I don't pay attention.
Jan 31, 2020 1:46 PM
Jan 2013
Renkini said:
dindasmart said:

(You probably already knew this but) 5 years ago, there was this phantasmal trailer-like thingy which may or may not serve as the concept for Rebellion sequel. It was long lost in time ages ago when Magia Record wasn't even a thing so I regret to say it's not a hard proof but only a small fleeting hope.

But I feel like this Side Story is just a giant buildup for upcoming sequel, if they have any plan to make one.

Chiwa Saitou said last summer that there would be a sequel. That's the last time I've heard of it.

Eroha said:
Phosphollite said:
Iroha apparently has an ability that increases the power of another magical girl it seems? Totally came out of nowhere and genuinely confused me for a second, I really wish this was explained for those who haven't played (much of) the game.

The people who translate the runes that appear in the original Madoka anime and Magia Record anime have found that the runes that appear while a girl is increasing another girls power translate to "connect".

The ability to connect in the anime is given by the Coordinator(her symbol appears on the connect), but in the game, the Coordinator just strengthens peoples magic but Iroha clearly wasn't made stronger in the anime.

Iroha didn't do the connect properly due to only just getting the ability in episode 3, the runes when she did the connect translated to something like "cnnoetc"

Right, I'm an idiot. I wondered why that Connect didn't look the same as the others. It's because Iroha botched it of course.

I went back and checked: It starts out normal with the runes spelling "connect" but then the pattern breaks down (the runes don't really spell anything at that point).

(For anyone who's interested there's a handy table here.)
Jan 31, 2020 3:58 PM

Mar 2013
Phosphollite said:
Also, Iroha apparently has an ability that increases the power of another magical girl it seems? Totally came out of nowhere and genuinely confused me for a second, I really wish this was explained for those who haven't played (much of) the game.
They have made a couple of loose comments on it, but the mechanism was firmly established with Kaede connecting to Rena shortly before the latter used her magia(the attack with the mirrors). This is different than the game, where connect and magia are two separate mechanics.
Jan 31, 2020 6:14 PM
Jun 2016
salarx said:
dindasmart said:

Next year Madoka Magica completes 10 years, expect some announcement by then (Feels like Magia Record will connect to it somehow, we'll see).

fingers crossed.

Renkini said:
dindasmart said:

that concept movie :(
I will never lose hope. even though i might soon become a witch for despair.

Mod Edit: Double Post Merged, please use the "Edit" or "Quick Edit" Button to fix your original post.
Fleeting_DreamFeb 1, 2020 9:11 AM
Feb 1, 2020 3:06 AM

Apr 2015
'Shoddy direction' ehhh come on.

One actual problem is it being maybe overly challenging for anime only viewers.
Feb 1, 2020 6:21 AM

May 2019
salarx said:
For devotees of Madoka Magica -

The people who are watching this ARE true PMMM fans, even the detractors. You literally can't watch MR without having watched the original, because you wouldn't understand quite a few of the concepts/rules of the PMMM universe without it. So, the people watching this are already familiar with the material and are, hopefully, coming at MR in good faith. The original and (especially) Rebellion are among my favorite anime, but I, and quite a few of the other viewers apparently, am just not enjoying this anime. People can absolutely love the original and still not be interested in this, it doesn't make them not a "true fan" or even less of a fan for that matter. "True fans" are allowed to be disappointed/frustrated and drop MR after a few episodes, it doesn't invalidate their status as a fan and doesn't mean they're "lacking in their feelings, as you say.

Mod Edit: Removed reply to deleted post
Fleeting_DreamFeb 1, 2020 9:11 AM
Feb 1, 2020 7:22 AM
Dec 2018
Phosphollite said:

The people who are watching this ARE true PMMM fans, even the detractors. You literally can't watch MR without having watched the original, because you wouldn't understand quite a few of the concepts/rules of the PMMM universe without it. So, the people watching this are already familiar with the material and are, hopefully, coming at MR in good faith. The original and (especially) Rebellion are among my favorite anime, but I, and quite a few of the other viewers apparently, am just not enjoying this anime. People can absolutely love the original and still not be interested in this, it doesn't make them not a "true fan" or even less of a fan for that matter. "True fans" are allowed to be disappointed/frustrated and drop MR after a few episodes, it doesn't invalidate their status as a fan and doesn't mean they're "lacking in their feelings, as you say.

That's my definition of true fans (devotees) of Madoka Magica, and to my surprise some even came forward. For me, a true devotee of PMMM is one who would do anything to see Madoka again (basically having same emotions as Homura). I don't consider someone a fan who drops the anime before Madoka makes an appearance, and leaves a bad rating. But that was my way of calling people like me, that's why I put the message in spoiler tags. The part "lacking in their feelings" is a reference to wraith arc btw. Basically Homura would do anything to see Madoka again, so I'm comparing true fans to Homura.

Mod Edit: Removed off-topic part of post
Fleeting_DreamFeb 1, 2020 9:12 AM
Feb 1, 2020 9:13 AM

Oct 2018
Thread Cleaned of Off-topic Discussion
This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the episode of the series in question, please do not discuss the score of the show or how it may or may not be affected by score trolls here.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Feb 1, 2020 9:32 AM
Aug 2015
Myanimelist trying to remove discussion of score trolls instead of fixing the problem, this a high IQ move
Feb 1, 2020 9:57 AM
Dec 2018
Eroha said:
Myanimelist trying to remove discussion of score trolls instead of fixing the problem, this a high IQ move

Have you heard? Has anyone told you? The Rumor of the Score Related Discussion. If you point out how the score trolls misuse the score system, the thread will be cleaned instead of banning those accounts. Many anime have been affected by this, but no solution has been implemented so far. How horrible!

I love the uwasa format, hope I don't get banned.
Feb 1, 2020 10:04 AM
Aug 2015
salarx said:
Eroha said:

Have you heard? Has anyone told you? The Rumor of the Score Related Discussion. If you point out how the score trolls misuse the score system, the thread will be cleaned instead of banning those accounts. Many anime have been affected by this, but no solution has been implemented so far. How horrible!

We can still talk on the subreddit if we get banned lol
Feb 1, 2020 10:22 AM

Apr 2018
salarx said:
Eroha said:

My uwasaposting in this thread was deleted.
S-C-A-R-Y
喜べ少年
君の願いはようやく叶う。
YOROKOBE SHOUNEN, KIMI no NEGAI wa youyaku KANAU.
Rejoice, your wish will be finally granted.
"THE RATE UP IS A LIE!"
Feb 1, 2020 10:34 AM
Dec 2018
Eroha said:
salarx said:

We can still talk on the subreddit if we get banned lol
CrystaLyse said:
salarx said:

My uwasaposting in this thread was deleted.
S-C-A-R-Y

We should form a Magia Record club here, don't think club threads are cleaned.
Feb 1, 2020 10:43 AM
Aug 2015
salarx said:

There is this club https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=77506 but its inactive
Feb 1, 2020 10:48 AM
Dec 2018
Eroha said:
salarx said:

There is this club https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=77506 but its inactive

lol I'm a member there. Admin does come online but hasn't replied...
Feb 1, 2020 4:37 PM
Mar 2017
A new rumor reaches the ears of Iroha and with this another mystery that can be a clue related to Ui.

Another magical girl was introduced in this episode, Yui Tsuruno is a girl full of energy and positive attitude, in addition to working in a Chinese food restaurant, also to my surprise she is Yachiyo's friend.

Yachiyo arrives with a rather peculiar rumor, a sanctuary where if you write the name of a person who is no longer alive in an Enma, it will appear in front of you, a miracle that has made many people disappear without first affirming that this rumor is real .

The girls investigate and exchange information, since Yachiyo handles more information, but after an unexpected fight with a witch in the supermarket, Yachiyo has an idea of ​​going to the sanctuary that they visited from the beginning at night and indeed that was the detail that they were missing, Iroha and Yachiyo are transported to the world where they met with their respective people, Iroha with Ui and Yachiyo with a girl named Mifuyu, now it remains to be known if both girls that appeared are real or are a trap to enclose them in that world.

Detail that disturbed enough was how Mitama put ketchup and then a plum acid to a piece of cake, what the hell towards her, that's inedible, she gives me chills, especially with the voice of Yuri Horie.

Another thing that surprised me was how Iroha ate all the food that Tsuruno served her, Iroha doesn't look like someone with a voracious appetite, I also get a lot of attention from that strange power up that Iroha gave Tsuruno, there will be some relationship Is this event and Iroha's soul gem getting dark?
Feb 1, 2020 7:09 PM

Mar 2013
salbery755 said:
I also get a lot of attention from that strange power up that Iroha gave Tsuruno, there will be some relationship Is this event and Iroha's soul gem getting dark?
Kaede gave Rena the same powerup in episode 3. It's just a way of invoking the magia attacks in the anime, rather than faffing about with SP meters.
Feb 4, 2020 1:06 PM

Nov 2013
I realized what I've kinda been missing a little, the title cards/names for the witches like the original had. Those always felt nice and gave me more reason to speculate on the witches. Not a big deal, but it's a bit of a awh shame.

Quite liking the characters so far, curious how the rest of it is going to pan out now. At least no character has pissed me off like Homura did in the original XD
Feb 4, 2020 1:36 PM
Aug 2015
Aqacia said:
I realized what I've kinda been missing a little, the title cards/names for the witches like the original had. Those always felt nice and gave me more reason to speculate on the witches. Not a big deal, but it's a bit of a awh shame.

Quite liking the characters so far, curious how the rest of it is going to pan out now. At least no character has pissed me off like Homura did in the original XD

Witches still have names, the ones without them aren't witches
Feb 4, 2020 1:58 PM

Nov 2013
Eroha said:
Aqacia said:

Really? I haven't noticed any names yet unless their way more subtle now then they used to be in the orignal
Feb 4, 2020 3:22 PM
Aug 2015
Aqacia said:
Eroha said:

Really? I haven't noticed any names yet unless their way more subtle now then they used to be in the orignal

Episode 1 at 15:13 (also one at 1:40 but its hidden and not usual style so I am not sure if it is a witch name)
Episode 2 at 6:05
Episode 3 didn't have a witch
Episode 4 at 17:50
Episode 5 had a witch in the after-credits but it didn't show its name due to the clip starting mid-fight. However, we do know the name of that witch is Albertine due to its minion appearing in the original anime: Sayaka fought its minion which is called Anja in Episode 5 of the original (The fight that Kyoko stopped as she didn't want it dying before it grew into a witch)
Feb 4, 2020 6:27 PM
Jan 2013
Eroha said:
also one at 1:40 but its hidden and not usual style so I am not sure if it is a witch name

Boxwood? Looks normal to me.
Feb 7, 2020 8:19 PM

Aug 2007
After 4 episodes Now I can undertanding things. Rumors are different form witches. But todays fight first one was a witch without a Greef Seed. Iroha has a limited time. Her soul Gem is very corrupted.

The enemy at the ending of the episode was a rumor. I am correct?
Feb 14, 2020 3:37 PM

Feb 2018
Still Looking for Ui.
Mar 1, 2020 12:46 AM
Jul 2018
With that eye design Yachiyo looks like she's constantly judging me. I like that.
Mar 6, 2020 6:03 AM

Dec 2013
New girl is a lot of fun.

Backstory incoming?
Mar 15, 2020 8:24 AM

Aug 2017
Tsuruno's master identity is kinda forced but its better than introduce another character that I'm not going to care. Just like someone said the fight with the witch at the supermarket felt unnecessary except to make Iroha's soul gem got darker but they could do muchhhh better, c'mon.

I think the big problem is that the characters feel uninteresting and there is almost no credibility between their interactions.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 6, 2020 8:11 AM

Aug 2018
Yui Tsuruno, hm..
Well.. I get that Nanami Yachiyo (her family name is easier to remember for me, but girls are using both names of characters from time to time) is serious type and something.. But she's a bit too cold towards Iroha..
I guess new girl Yui Tsuruno is.. friendly girl?.. I guess?..
And also later Yachiyo is reacting coldly to Tsuruno's remark about as if they returned to old times.. Wonder, if Yachiyo was different in these old times of friendship.. Or not.. Either way, she says that it was too long ago.. Again keeping her distance.. Is Yachiyo extreme introvert, not interested in relationships, or something?.. Is this, why she's so cold to ideas of relationships?.. Well, if it's just waste for her..? Or did something happen, and she was different before - like at times, when she was friend with Tsuruno?..
Hm, Tsuruno says the second time that she's "the most powerful" magical girl.. Interesting..
Also Iroha's soul gem begins to get tainted, right?..
Small Kyubey always seeks Iroha.. Maybe he likes her for some reason..
I have no idea, who all of these girls are after ED..
Jul 16, 2020 11:13 PM

Jul 2016
So... last episode's post-credits scene with Mami was just to tease the audience and prevent some people from dropping the show I guess.

Leaving aside the last few seconds with Ui and Yachiyo's... friend? (Mifuyu), this was a kinda boring episode overall. The mention of this specific rumour about meeting someone from your past felt hella convenient for Iroha's quest but if we also receive more insight into Yachiyo's past in the process, I guess I can overlook it.

As for the fight against that Witch at the supermarket, it indeed felt rather pointless since they could have used other way to show Iroha's half-tainted Soul Gem but well. Yachiyo getting "worried" over sales was kinda random as well but I guess it was just for characterization purposes because so far, she's just Homura 2.0 but with a very good fashion sense.
Sep 9, 2020 11:33 AM

May 2018
rip Mami she got sidelined hard xD
Jul 18, 2021 9:20 PM

Sep 2020
LOL. Indeed, sale is one of the most important thing a girl shouldnt forget.
it’s never too late for life ... to go horribly wrong. . . afff~
Sep 26, 2021 10:18 PM

Jan 2017
They're just pumping out new magical girls left and right at this point, almost like this is an elaborate ad for a mobage eh

Plot-wise the mystery of the Seance Shrine didn't capture my interest or any events of this ep tbh, though the final scene with the supposed "lost friends" is intriguing
Sep 5, 2022 10:12 AM
Apr 2022
Ngl I almost sobbed when I saw Mami again
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

258 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2020

237 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 11:00 AM

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

14 by kensu31 »»
Feb 11, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.