Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people discriminate those who say shonen anime are the best?

New
Jan 12, 2020 10:59 PM
Mar 2019
Shonen anime have generic plot elements and predictable endings, but I find them enjoyable. Newcomers to anime may watch shonen anime and believe that they are the best. Yet there is this term called "Shonen-tards" that is labeled upon these newcomers, and anyone who says shonen anime are the best anime of all time. Why the hate? Why criticize someone's taste on anime?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 12, 2020 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
I like shounen myself so I'll leave this for my more fastidious colleagues to answer.
Jan 12, 2020 11:06 PM
Jul 2018
Because they are nothing more than people who rather care about the writing and character development rather than the visuals, entertainment and the heart that a certain battle shonen has.

Also, why the hate? We're human beings that's why.
Jan 12, 2020 11:07 PM

Jul 2012
People live to judge others. Best to ignore.
Jan 12, 2020 11:09 PM

May 2013
Because they hate the fact you are having fun.

Who cares if random internet tough guy hates Naruto?

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jan 12, 2020 11:33 PM

Oct 2017
I think because shounen is what gets so many people into anime it's very easy for people with a gatekeeping mentality to target shounen as "what's wrong with the anime community."

It's stupid though, imagine telling someone else they shouldn't like what they like.
Jan 12, 2020 11:37 PM

Dec 2012
Nothing necessarily wrong with them. Without looking that hard, I think you can find much worse than a shounen battle show, though you can also find much that is better as well. In short they're great for teenagers, new fans, those looking for cheap entertainment, and those who prefer flashy stylish action over substance of story. Not that great for adults, seasoned fans, those with discerning tastes, and those who want substance. In my experience it's a sub genre you grow out of as you grow older as you watch more anime and your preferences change, but that's just my experience. For me it's hard to find one that isn't formulaic, repetitive, or full of annoying time wasting stall tactics like filler and recaps and even harder to find one that actually concludes the story and doesn't leave me feeling unsatisfied.
KruszerJan 12, 2020 11:48 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 13, 2020 1:44 AM

Feb 2019
I don't think shounen fans are discriminated against. The ones who are discriminated against are people who think naruto and bleach are best things in the world.

I don't see people hating on other people who like shonens like HxH, one piece, attack on titan etc. very often.
Jan 13, 2020 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
People could stop generalize whole demographics and genres all together. Whether it's for the good or the bad.

Besides that:

1. People are doing it, because a bunch of others are doing it to feel smart. Since they were told to feel smart, if they bash on shounen, especially battle and adventure shounen, in general.
Don't stand out. We can't have that. We all know it's "tell, don't show". If someone tells you their opinions are smart, you must believe that.

2. I met some guys, who told me: "I'm a young man now. So of course I prefer seinen over shounen a lot."
So I guess people want to fall under their demographic to appear more adult too.

3. Tho it's acceptable to name FMA and HxH, maybe one or two others, they unironically like and they will name only them.

4. Unfortunately, on the other side and to be fair, some new anime fans, who are hyping some shounen, could becoming annoying with their "this is the best thing EVER" too. Nothing in the world is "the best thing ever".
They tend to be very fixated on this idea and dismiss other genres as much as other people dismiss their favorite battle shounen, since they don't know so much, which is okay, but they still say it's bad.
So it's mostly a counter reaction from both sides towards each other.

Closure: Generalizations of whole genres and demographics "except a few" are a dumb thing to do, since these are all individual stories and you have think about them in an individual sense.

EdgeoftheLords said:
Shonen anime have generic plot elements and predictable endings.

Maneki-Mew said:
Generalizations of whole genres and demographics "except a few" are a dumb thing to do

👀
Jan 13, 2020 2:21 AM

Jul 2016
cythraul said:
I don't think shounen fans are discriminated against. The ones who are discriminated against are people who think naruto and bleach are best things in the world.

I don't see people hating on other people who like shonens like HxH, one piece, attack on titan etc. very often.

So it really depends on which shounen you are talking about.Naruto and bleach started out strong,but ultimately failed in keeping people's interest seeing the state that the two franchises are in nowadays(Naruto in the form of boruto while Bleach has fallen into obscurity).Meanwhile one piece is still going on strong,while HxH and attack and titan are generally pretty well regarded even by non shounen fans.
Jan 13, 2020 2:21 AM

Jun 2017
because they big dumb dumb poo poo heads
i usually don't even like action shounens
Jan 13, 2020 2:24 AM

Jan 2017
I love me a good Shonen. But I'm more a fan of 80ies and 90ies visuals, and that Retro-Shows have a cooler atmosphere in general. But I don't judge fans of modern Shonen. The most important thing is having fun. But I really have to say that many modern Shonen fans judge other peoples with different tastes/opinions too.
Jan 13, 2020 2:30 AM

Jul 2012
Hipster mentality is often one of the more outspoken ones. Take a demographic that's often widely popular even to some degree outside of the immediate anime fandom and you're bound to have some crawl out of the woodwork to say how it's bland or generic.

On the other hand though if you want a more uplifting perspective, if you don't let others talk you out of enjoying shounen anime you'll have no shortage of entertainment. Because you can be sure magazines like Shounen Jump will always be putting out widely popular series every year at the bare minimum.
Jan 13, 2020 3:06 AM

May 2018
"Why do people discriminate those who say shonen anime are the best?"
Because they actually mean "battle shouen" thus they are discriminating the rest of the shounen.

Also demographic is not linked to quality - you can get good stuff from shoujo, seinen, josei and kodomo too.

EdgeoftheLords said:
Newcomers to anime may watch shonen anime and believe that they are the best.

Nope, this is what top lists is telling them...guess who is to blame! Shounen-tards of course.

There are two possible outcomes when you watch battle shounens and nothing else (because the ratings are telling you so):
I. You get bored and drop anime as media.
II. You start to look at other titles through the same shounen-tarded lenses:
- Only 12 episodes? This is too short! You can't tell anything in such short time. You need at least 50 episodes!
- Episodic storytelling? Pfff.
- The fight scenes are not interupted by speeches and flashbacks? They don't last at least 7 episodes? But there is no time for hype or no way to guess MCs motivations without them repeating at least 1734 times "Mamoru"!
alshuJan 13, 2020 5:13 AM
Jan 13, 2020 3:36 AM

Aug 2017
I grew up watching shounen and its one of the most overrated genres.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 13, 2020 3:43 AM

Aug 2018
Kruszer said:
Nothing necessarily wrong with them. Without looking that hard, I think you can find much worse than a shounen battle show, though you can also find much that is better as well. In short they're great for teenagers, new fans, those looking for cheap entertainment, and those who prefer flashy stylish action over substance of story. Not that great for adults, seasoned fans, those with discerning tastes, and those who want substance. In my experience it's a sub genre you grow out of as you grow older as you watch more anime and your preferences change, but that's just my experience. For me it's hard to find one that isn't formulaic, repetitive, or full of annoying time wasting stall tactics like filler and recaps and even harder to find one that actually concludes the story and doesn't leave me feeling unsatisfied.

Nurguburu said:
I grew up watching shounen and its one of the most overrated genres.

High IQ posts
EdgeoftheLords said:
Shonen anime have generic plot elements and predictable endings, but I find them enjoyable.

>EdgeoftheLords
Not with that attitude
Jan 13, 2020 3:51 AM

Jul 2019
Because nothing about any genre makes it intrinsically better than others. That's the only disagreement I'd have with such people.
Jan 13, 2020 4:06 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Because they actually mean "battle shouen" thus they are discriminating the rest of the shounen.

Also demographic is not linked to quality - you can get good stuff from shoujo, seinen, josei and kodomo too.

EdgeoftheLords said:

Nope, this is what top MAL is telling them...guess who is to blame! Shounen-tards of course.

There are two possible outcomes when you watch battle shounens and nothing else (because the ratings are telling you so):
- Only 12 episodes? This is too short! You can't tell anything in such short time. You need at least 50 episodes!
- The fight scenes are not interupted by speeches and flashbacks? They don't last at least 7 episodes? But there is no time for hype or no way to guess MCs motivations without them repeating at least 1734 times "Mamoru"!
And that battle shōnen are mostly for kids and teenagers. It's adults choice to watch them.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Jan 13, 2020 4:09 AM

Sep 2019
EdgeoftheLords said:
Shonen anime have generic plot elements and predictable endings, but I find them enjoyable. Newcomers to anime may watch shonen anime and believe that they are the best. Yet there is this term called "Shonen-tards" that is labeled upon these newcomers, and anyone who says shonen anime are the best anime of all time. Why the hate? Why criticize someone's taste on anime?
battle shōnen are the target, I think.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Jan 13, 2020 4:10 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:

EdgeoftheLords said:

Nope, this is what top MAL is telling them...guess who is to blame! Shounen-tards of course.

and which top Mal you are talking about: rating one or popular one or maybe favorite one?
Jan 13, 2020 4:23 AM

Oct 2013
Because they are usually casuals who don't watch nothing else.
Jan 13, 2020 4:30 AM

Jun 2016
Shonentards are a more oppressed minority than gamers
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 13, 2020 5:05 AM

Oct 2017
Well... What can I say?
It's because shounen is the most basic form of anime, most, if not all people here have their own tastes already defined, and for the most part, it's not shounen. It's like saying that you like Trump, but you forget that there were better right wingers like Gral Augusto Pinochet Ugarte, the saviour of Chile.
"What a Player, what a Champion here at Wimbledon, the first man to win 8 Championships."
Andrew Castle on Roger Federer winning his 19th Grand Slam title.
Jan 13, 2020 5:16 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
alshu said:

And that battle shōnen are mostly for kids and teenagers. It's adults choice to watch them.

See that point where I talk about demographics - I mention shoujo and even kodomo.
Щou still miss the rest of the shounen.

Peeti said:
and which top Mal you are talking about

Have fixed it with "top list" for letter-bound people.
alshuJan 13, 2020 5:40 AM
Jan 13, 2020 5:39 AM
Apr 2016
Because the most insightful and overflowing with wisdom stories do not have those petty labels.
Re:formed
Jan 13, 2020 5:42 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:

See that point where I talk about demographics and I mention shoujo and even kodomo. And you still miss the rest of the shounen.

Peeti said:
and which top Mal you are talking about

There's is nothing to be letter bound because I haven't seen many pure battle shōnen from top rated than most popular ones. Naruto, db, bleach , black clover and many others are more towards popularity than ratings. Yeah, Hunter x Hunter one piece demon Slayer are there too but they are popularity bound too. I would say battle shōnen beats in popularity because dbz popularity is way more than it's shown here. Not to mention kids shows like Pokemon or Doraemon or shinchan. They would have recked the top popularity lists. Whereas shows like monster, Berserk, Vinland saga are comparatively less popular. Now blame kids, that kidtards shows are liked by many kids.
Jan 13, 2020 5:47 AM
Mar 2018
We are people. Even I as a shounen fan discriminate those who say moe/cgdct anime are the best.
Jan 13, 2020 5:52 AM

Jul 2016
Steiner1411 said:
We are people. Even I as a shounen fan discriminate those who say moe/cgdct anime are the best.

Sounds like something i would do,to hell with the moefags.
Jan 13, 2020 5:57 AM

Nov 2019
According to them, it's a normie thing and it's very generic. Some elitists start the hate and then other people join in bandwagons to fit in. Funny thing is that those who join the bandwagons don't even know what shonen is actually. I met a lot of people who claimed SAO to be shonen. Some even claimed Tokyo Ghoul to be shonen.

Long story short, only kids can watch shonen and so called adults can watch only mature seinens.

Funny thing is that the guy who claimed Tokyo ghoul to be shonen trash was actually a seinen fan. 😂

Missaliensan said:
Steiner1411 said:

Sounds like something i would do,to hell with the moefags.

I don't even know what's so good in them. 🤦
In fact moe dominates in Japan.
Biswa_29Jan 13, 2020 6:03 AM
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 13, 2020 6:03 AM

Oct 2010
Isn't the correct term "battle shonen-tard"? Because midara na ao-chan is shonen but you don't see ninjas fighting demons. Anyway, people are just dumb, there's always a group critisizing on others for no reason whatsoever. Even ecchi lovers are insulted on mal and they are the chillest guys.
Jan 13, 2020 6:04 AM
May 2019
They tend to be toxic and ignorant there is no such thing as objectively best genre.
Jan 13, 2020 6:06 AM
Jan 2017
TheKawaiiToon said:
Because they are nothing more than people who rather care about the writing and character development rather than the visuals, entertainment and the heart that a certain battle shonen has.

Also, why the hate? We're human beings that's why.

And why would the visuals mean more than the character development??
Jan 13, 2020 6:08 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
Yeah, Hunter x Hunter one piece demon Slayer are there too but they are popularity bound too.

Mob Psycho 100 II, some parts of Gintama...you can add the sport shounens too, they are very similar.
And maybe not top 50 but the others you mentioned (+My Hero Academia) have ratings of 8-8.5 which are relatively high.

Peeti said:
Not to mention kids shows like Pokemon

+ Digimon, Yu-Ghi-Oh, Bakugan ect.
I think they are retarded too. They use the same mechaniques as battle shounen...some of them ARE shounen not kodomo.
Oh man, those poor children irradiated by them...

Peeti said:
Whereas shows like monster, Berserk, Vinland saga are comparatively less popular.

Well they are kind of fine but still don't deserve to by that high in the list.
Also teens will skip them automatically.

Peeti said:
Now blame kids, that kidtards shows are liked by many kids.

I actually blame their parents and the greedy TV industry producing mainly commercials for toys instead of geniune programming.
Jan 13, 2020 6:13 AM
Jan 2017
Kruszer said:

Define this "substance" you're talking about that you claim that no shonen has.
Jan 13, 2020 6:17 AM
Jan 2017
Missaliensan said:
cythraul said:

So it really depends on which shounen you are talking about.Naruto and bleach started out strong,but ultimately failed in keeping people's interest seeing the state that the two franchises are in nowadays(Naruto in the form of boruto while Bleach has fallen into obscurity).Meanwhile one piece is still going on strong,while HxH and attack and titan are generally pretty well regarded even by non shounen fans.

AoT is not shonen. I don't know about you but Naruto kept me going up until Boruto. I don't even regard Boruto as part of Naruto TBH. I'd say the ending with that bitch disappointed me a bit, but it wasn't terrible.
Jan 13, 2020 6:27 AM

Jul 2016
KarimEdward said:
Missaliensan said:

AoT is not shonen. I don't know about you but Naruto kept me going up until Boruto. I don't even regard Boruto as part of Naruto TBH. I'd say the ending with that bitch disappointed me a bit, but it wasn't terrible.

True i forgot for a second that Aot wasn't even shounen lol.But yeah boruto definitely was the main contributing factor to people losing interest in naruto.
Jan 13, 2020 6:31 AM

Nov 2019
KarimEdward said:
Missaliensan said:

Boruto is a disgrace to Naruto 😑
Milking at its best.

AoT is shonen actually. I dunno why it's labelled that way though. 😂
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 13, 2020 6:37 AM
Jan 2017
biswa290701 said:
KarimEdward said:

Boruto is a disgrace to Naruto 😑
Milking at its best.

AoT is shonen actually. I dunno why it's labelled that way though. 😂

Isn't it intended for "adults"? I think it was so. Whatever I guess. It's a good show nonetheless.
Jan 13, 2020 6:38 AM

Mar 2018
It's called genre snobbery. Put a shallow perspective on any genre and you can downplay its strenghts while overvaluing your criticism against it.

Though, claiming shounen are the best is quite dumb, unless you're only referring to Togashi's works (HxH, YYH), but usually they love trash like DBZ, Naruto, FT, 7DS, One Piece, Black Clover, etc.

KarimEdward said:
Peeti said:
There's is nothing to be letter bound because I haven't seen many pure battle shōnen from top rated than most popular ones. Naruto, db, bleach , black clover and many others are more towards popularity than ratings. Yeah, Hunter x Hunter one piece demon Slayer are there too but they are popularity bound too. I would say battle shōnen beats in popularity because dbz popularity is way more than it's shown here. Not to mention kids shows like Pokemon or Doraemon or shinchan. They would have recked the top popularity lists. Whereas shows like monster, Berserk, Vinland saga are comparatively less popular. Now blame kids, that kidtards shows are liked by many kids.

You see, I find Monster a bit flawed also, although I enjoyed it greatly. Johan's background is too shallow presented. It doesn't really make sense that he learned English and French from an old blind man just like that. Then he opened a bank when he was 15(or 16, I don't remember exactly)? Also, Johan's motive isn't that coherent. Berserk is interesting, unfortunately, Guts swinging a sword and cutting mtfks all the time in half doesn't seem like a thing you do just like that. Especially on what-not creatures. I find that a flaw in itself. Don't see how Berserk differentiate itself from other battle shonen anime except for the violent element.
That's the problem I have with mature guys like you. You don't seem to see the flaws in other shows.

Thing is you find Guts being OP enough to put it in the same genre as DBZ? That's a flaw in itself. Just because it shares some elements doesn't mean it's in the same genre. That way you could take nearly any story with action and say it doesn't do anything different, fuck the plot, characters and setting.

What do you mean by battle shounen? Are you one of those where unrealistic action=shounen? It's more of a stylistic choice to have unrealistic action, and it's not limited to battle shounen.
EsquirtitJan 13, 2020 8:36 AM
poop
Jan 13, 2020 6:40 AM
Jan 2017
Peeti said:
alshu said:

See that point where I talk about demographics and I mention shoujo and even kodomo. And you still miss the rest of the shounen.

You see, I find Monster a bit flawed also, although I enjoyed it greatly. Johan's background is too shallow presented. It doesn't really make sense that he learned English and French from an old blind man just like that. Then he opened a bank when he was 15(or 16, I don't remember exactly)? Also, Johan's motive isn't that coherent. Berserk is interesting, unfortunately, Guts swinging a sword and cutting mtfks all the time in half doesn't seem like a thing you do just like that. Especially on what-not creatures. I find that a flaw in itself. Don't see how Berserk differentiate itself from other battle shonen anime except for the violent element.
That's the problem I have with mature guys like you. You don't seem to see the flaws in other shows.
Jan 13, 2020 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
I have yet to see a single (pure) Shounen story that's actually impressed me. I also don't like when the Anime is stretched for more than 26 episodes.
removed-userJan 13, 2020 6:48 AM
Jan 13, 2020 6:42 AM

Sep 2019
KarimEdward said:
Peeti said:

I haven't watched monster, Vinland but I'm talking about popularity here not ratings. Even if they are equal then why the popularity is not high as dbz etc.
Jan 13, 2020 6:43 AM
Jan 2017
BallistikJuice said:
I have yet to see a single (pure) Shounen story that's actually impressed me.

I'd like to hear a story that impressed you.
Jan 13, 2020 6:43 AM

Sep 2019
KarimEdward said:
Peeti said:

+ see my profile. Do I look like a mature to you.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Yeah in terms of anime ratings. I kinda talk little bit of seriously.
Jan 13, 2020 6:51 AM

Jan 2020
Because shounen are the best :) Most people that started anime first are probably into shounen.

Made by k3ti
Jan 13, 2020 6:55 AM

Jul 2007
2020 and Dragon Ball is still the best ever.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 13, 2020 7:05 AM

May 2018
EndlessMaria said:

For you maybe...

But do you think that all battle shounen is generally better than anything else?

Do you think that only battle shounen is worthy and people (not only you) should watch exclusively battle shonen...and maybe some sport shows bu mainly battle shounen?
alshuJan 13, 2020 7:10 AM
Jan 13, 2020 7:13 AM
Jan 2017
Peeti said:
KarimEdward said:

I haven't watched monster, Vinland but I'm talking about popularity here not ratings. Even if they are equal then why the popularity is not high as dbz etc.

I have a problem with DBZ too since it's so trash. It's just crazy mtfks who get power-ups out of nowhere.
Jan 13, 2020 7:14 AM

Jul 2007
KarimEdward said:
I have a problem with DBZ too since it's so trash. It's just crazy mtfks who get power-ups out of nowhere.

When has anyone ever gotten a powerup without proper explanation?
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 13, 2020 7:15 AM
Jan 2017
EndlessMaria said:

I can't express how stupid of an anime I find Dragon Ball to be. It's just mtfks receiving power-ups.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

9 by Hitagi__Furude »»
23 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

25 by Toooooooooohru »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

217 by Adnash »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

34 by Toooooooooohru »»
8 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

111 by girltokyo »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.