Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 2, 2019 3:55 AM

Nov 2017
I just found out that an animation studio from India made their own anime with anime-style art. It is called Karmachakra : http://www.animationxpress.com/index.php/latest-news/exclusive-studio-durga-indias-first-anime-studio-creates-a-stir-within-the-indian-anime-community-with-the-trailer-of-karmachakra The art style seems pretty OK, aiming for a more adult mature theme than a cute Moe art style. What are your thoughts. Should new animation companies in the West make their own hand-drawn anime too with anime-style art ?
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Nov 2, 2019 4:06 AM

Apr 2012
I wish people would stop calling anime-style cartoons "anime". I guess it's because there isn't a collection of variants comparable to what exists for manga (manhwa, manfra, etc). But why not create new terms then?

Here for example anindie? and for US anime style cartoons, I propose the term amerie.
Nov 2, 2019 4:18 AM

Oct 2018
oh wait what is this? want to promo? yeah...
Nov 2, 2019 4:36 AM

Nov 2017
The art and animation quality might not be top notch, but it is their first work done, and if they earn a lot of sales their next work might get more budget with better animation. Like for example, RWBY from the US that has super-cool action scenes.
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Dec 6, 2019 11:58 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Never heard about this.... I might want to watch something like this. Was wondering a while ago if Bangladesh would allow for anime-inspired cartoons (considering the country's very Islamic and would most likely disapprove of 80% of what anime has to offer, I doubt it'd happen but still...).

The article lists the show will be in Bengali... I'm pretty sure it'll just be India's version of Bengali and not the Bengali I'm used to though (India's Bengali and Bangladesh's Bengali are apparently somewhat different from each other)... if it is the Bengali that I can understand, that'd be great.

Dunno how I'd be able to watch this though... At least the poster looks nice

Dec 7, 2019 3:55 AM

May 2018
I will admit it looks pretty cool. BUt anime is animation from Japan only, so this isnt actually an "anime". It might be an anime inspired cartoon, sure, but its not actually an anime.
Dec 11, 2019 9:39 PM

Jul 2017
I've heard of it too and its an Indian cartoon to be precise
animation from countries other than Japan are not considered anime
Dec 11, 2019 9:46 PM

Jun 2016
The art style reminds me of that project one of the anitubers spent time funding. I'm not gonna debate the term cause honestly I don't care enough if its "anime" or not. The trailer looks good though.
Jan 15, 2020 8:56 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Okay I know it's been quite a while since this thread was posted or when this video came out...
But wow I'm a little impressed by this trailer! The animation quality isn't like super top-tier KyoAni level or something, but it's definitely a great start for a first project made by a brand new studio!

It's also great that I could actually understand some of the Bengali they were saying without the subtitles (these subs are actually decently translated), I hope I can improve my shamefully small Bengali from this haha...
(Before anyone says that what I'm saying here is like being a weeb who's super obsessed about learning Japanese just so they can watch anime without subs, I'm a Bengali-American who somehow learned fluent English but barely anything other than the basics and some slang in Bengali. Can't read Bengali either...)

Hopefully there's a way to legally watch this somewhere sometime soon.
Jan 15, 2020 9:06 PM

Nov 2008
EratiK said:
I wish people would stop calling anime-style cartoons "anime".

Mood.

Seeing "THE FIRST INDIA ANIME" in that trailer just makes me roll my eyes. No, guys. You're simply imitating it, not creating it.

Get some Japanese staff on this project and then we'll talk. xD

Jan 15, 2020 9:08 PM

Jun 2019
MAYOIII said:

What about China and Korea (South Korea or North Korea, but presumably South Korea)? If not, why do MAL archivists include them in the database on this website?
Jan 15, 2020 9:08 PM

May 2009
I see I missed the chance to inb4 people complaining about an alleged misuse of the definition of "anime" on the basis of geographic origin.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 15, 2020 9:10 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
MAYOIII said:

What about China and Korea (South Korea or North Korea, but presumably South Korea)? If not, why do MAL archivists include them in the database on this website?

That's a very good point, why are those shows included if country of origin is the basis on defining what makes a cartoon "anime"?
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't necessarily classify this new Indian-Bengali show as an anime, but I just wanna know...
Jan 15, 2020 9:13 PM

Jun 2011
Judging by the poster it's better than I would have expected, but I'm with the "don't call it anime crowd", it's like saying something that's inspired by Disney show is a disney show (I know, a bit of an exaggeration but I don't think by much)
Jan 15, 2020 9:14 PM

Oct 2014
Fario-P said:
WatchTillTandava said:

That's a very good point, why are those shows included if country of origin is the basis on defining what makes a cartoon "anime"?
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't necessarily classify this as anime, but I just wanna know...
The reason is that manhua and manhwa are so commonly read by manga fans that they had to include them and it was reasoned that animations from those countries should be included as well to keep things consistent. India has its own comics, but they're ignored enough by manga fans that any overlap in fanbases would just be coincidence.
Jan 15, 2020 9:16 PM

Feb 2015
MAYOIII said:
their are various Korean and Chinese " anime" on mal that suggest that your wrong.
Jan 15, 2020 9:22 PM

Nov 2008
KurtvonZeon said:
MAYOIII said:
their are various Korean and Chinese " anime" on mal that suggest that your wrong.

Chinese and Korean shows and comics share a LOT of similarities to Japanese ones, including culture so I think MAL has the attitude of 'eh close enough' when including them. xD

Hell, 'manhuwa' even SOUNDS like 'manga'.

Jan 15, 2020 9:24 PM

Jun 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
Fario-P said:

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't necessarily classify this as anime, but I just wanna know...
The reason is that manhua and manhwa are so commonly read by manga fans that they had to include them and it was reasoned that animations from those countries should be included as well to keep things consistent. India has its own comics, but they're ignored enough by manga fans that any overlap in fanbases would just be coincidence.
good point here, I would've said asian countries if it wasn't for Indians technically being asians, theres this french... I don't know the french term for manga, that blew me away but if it was animated I wouldn't consider it anime (Dreamland)
Jan 15, 2020 9:53 PM

Nov 2019
It's interesting. But I still think it's not anime but something anime inspired like The Last Airbender. Since that was good, we might have hope from this as well.

Since I'm Indian, it makes me kinda happy. Lol
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 15, 2020 10:06 PM

Jun 2019
Killaclown said:
good point here, I would've said asian countries if it wasn't for Indians technically being asians, theres this french... I don't know the french term for manga, that blew me away but if it was animated I wouldn't consider it anime (Dreamland)

Then it sounds like it's being confined to just those from East Asian countries, or more specifically even, just northeast Asia (as opposed to Vietnam, Philippines, etc. in the southeast).

Jan 15, 2020 10:12 PM

Nov 2019
That looks really interesting. Would definitely check it out.

Isn't there some word for anime-like cartoons that can't be called anime because they're not Japanese? Seems like a few people go into a conniption fit every time one of these anime-esque things are called anime. Animesque?

Ah. Turns out the word has already been coined.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Animesque
Jan 15, 2020 10:31 PM

Jul 2016
This reminds me of some animated episodes that I have seen YouTube once where the mc was a girl that wore a hijab and and was a superhero.I forgot the name but it would be good if someone knew what it is.
Jan 15, 2020 10:35 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Missaliensan said:
This reminds me of some animated episodes that I have seen YouTube once where the mc was a girl that wore a hijab and and was a superhero.I forgot the name but it would be good if someone knew what it is.

omg i was legit just on the Animesque page on TV Tropes that mentioned the show you're talking about
you're referring to Emara: Emirates Hero, aren't you?
Jan 15, 2020 10:37 PM

Jul 2016
Fario-P said:
Missaliensan said:

omg i was legit just on the Animesque page on TV Tropes that mentioned the show you're talking about
you're referring to Emara: Emirates Hero, aren't you?

Yes,it’s that!Thanks,I knew I had to ask someone or else i would not have remembered. :) I like the art style of this one more than the one shown in the trailer by OP.
Jan 15, 2020 10:52 PM

Feb 2019
Please no. I don't wanna see any religious bullshit into anime. But it's at least better than chhota bheem crap.
Jan 15, 2020 11:53 PM

Jun 2011
WatchTillTandava said:
Killaclown said:

Then it sounds like it's being confined to just those from East Asian countries, or more specifically even, just northeast Asia (as opposed to Vietnam, Philippines, etc. in the southeast).

possibly, just so much influence back and forth probably, hellz I don't know lol, proximity does seem to be a factor though
Jan 16, 2020 12:03 AM
Mar 2018
This would be considered an anime in Japan though , since they consider any type of animation as an anime
Jan 16, 2020 12:53 AM
Jul 2018
Actually that looks pretty good and I will try to watch it, at best legally, when it comes out.

zombie_pegasus said:
Fario-P said:

Since when is popularity, and being more accepted by more people, an argument? Shouldn't there be, you know, more comprehensable reasons?
Jan 16, 2020 1:02 AM

May 2018
Well, at least the name of the title is utter cringe. I don't have high expectations but who knows.
MAL has many chinese and korean entries which are considered anime by default. And if I remember right, I've even seen mongolian and taiwan titles.
So, we can say that term "anime" can be used for just oriental production. As India is a part of Asia, too, I won't be surprised if this movie is added here

Jan 16, 2020 1:05 AM

Oct 2008
Its good that chinese and korean anime have evolved. So I think its perfectly fine for India anime to start as well. This is actually kind of fun, first we had
american studios trying to do anime, than in the 2010s China and Korea started and have been doing brilliantly and now India.
Jan 16, 2020 1:17 AM

Nov 2019
Nemo_Niemand said:
Well, at least the name of the title is utter cringe. I don't have high expectations but who knows.
MAL has many chinese and korean entries which are considered anime by default. And if I remember right, I've even seen mongolian and taiwan titles.
So, we can say that term "anime" can be used for just oriental production. As India is a part of Asia, too, I won't be surprised if this movie is added here

Actually the title is unique in Hindi/Bengali. One can interpret it along the lines of 'cycle of karma'. In Hindu mythology, 'karma' means your actions reflect your consequences.
Biswa_29Jan 16, 2020 1:21 AM
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 16, 2020 1:47 AM

May 2018
biswa290701 said:
Nemo_Niemand said:

Actually the title is unique in Hindi/Bengali. One can interpret it along the lines of 'cycle of karma'. In Hindu mythology, 'karma' means your actions reflect your consequences.

Ah ok then. This title just resembles something weeb. I mean, "karma" and "chakra" are two most popular words used by all those wannabe buddhism, horoscope, vegan and yoga freaks
Nemo_NiemandJan 16, 2020 1:56 AM

Jan 16, 2020 2:02 AM
Oct 2017
Fario-P said:
Never heard about this.... I might want to watch something like this. Was wondering a while ago if Bangladesh would allow for anime-inspired cartoons (considering the country's very Islamic and would most likely disapprove of 80% of what anime has to offer, I doubt it'd happen but still...).

The article lists the show will be in Bengali... I'm pretty sure it'll just be India's version of Bengali and not the Bengali I'm used to though (India's Bengali and Bangladesh's Bengali are apparently somewhat different from each other)... if it is the Bengali that I can understand, that'd be great.

You can speak Bengali? You live in Bangladesh or used to live in Bangladesh or something like that?
Jan 16, 2020 6:15 AM
Jul 2017
EratiK said:

Seijatachiiii said:
anime is animation from Japan only, so this isnt actually an "anime". It might be an anime inspired cartoon, sure, but its not actually an anime.

MAYOIII said:

Chiibi said:
EratiK said:

Mood.

Seeing "THE FIRST INDIA ANIME" in that trailer just makes me roll my eyes. No, guys. You're simply imitating it, not creating it.

Lmao, 'anime' is just the Japanese word for 'animation' or 'cartoons'. In Japan, all animated movies/shows are anime (stuff like Shrek, Paranorman or Avatar). It's used by people throughout the world to address Japanese animation because it's way more convenient to call it anime instead of 'Japanese cartoons'.

As for 'Karmachakra', I'm not a fan of the art-style, but they've done a pretty good job compared to 90% of the shit Indian studios create. There's also a Pakistani anime in the works titled 'The Glassworker', by Mano animation studios.
Jan 16, 2020 6:31 AM
Jul 2018
monkeyDberzerk said:
'The Glassworker', by Mano animation studios.
That ones been in the works for ages. Was it 5 years ago that they released a key visual? I remember it being a long ass time ago.
Jan 16, 2020 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
operationvalkyri said:
monkeyDberzerk said:
'The Glassworker', by Mano animation studios.
That ones been in the works for ages. Was it 5 years ago that they released a key visual? I remember it being a long ass time ago.

I remember that The Breadwinner was really good.
Not really related to the topic but wanted to add this.

monkeyDberzerk said:
EratiK said:

Seijatachiiii said:
anime is animation from Japan only, so this isnt actually an "anime". It might be an anime inspired cartoon, sure, but its not actually an anime.

MAYOIII said:

Chiibi said:

Mood.

Lmao, 'anime' is just the Japanese word for 'animation' or 'cartoons'. In Japan, all animated movies/shows are anime (stuff like Shrek, Paranorman or Avatar). It's used by people throughout the world to address Japanese animation because it's way more convenient to call it anime instead of 'Japanese cartoons'.

As for 'Karmachakra', I'm not a fan of the art-style, but they've done a pretty good job compared to 90% of the shit Indian studios create. There's also a Pakistani anime in the works titled 'The Glassworker', by Mano animation studios.

Thought the same. People can't stand that Japan is less treated as something special from anime fans today.
Jan 16, 2020 9:48 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
trenchantbaka said:
Fario-P said:

You can speak Bengali? You live in Bangladesh or used to live in Bangladesh or something like that?

I am Bengali-American (with Bangladeshi parents), my Bengali/Bangla knowledge is pretty shit though and I can't read the language at all.
Jan 16, 2020 9:50 AM
Apr 2016
Am I having a DeJaVu?? Is this...r/eal?
Re:formed
Jan 16, 2020 10:10 AM

Nov 2008
monkeyDberzerk said:

Lmao, 'anime' is just the Japanese word for 'animation' or 'cartoons'.

DUH. I'm aware of that, thanks. But we don't refer to ALL cartoons on MAL (or the whole community) as 'anime' for a specific reason so don't play dumb, okay?

Jan 16, 2020 9:29 PM
Oct 2017
Fario-P said:
trenchantbaka said:

I am Bengali-American (with Bangladeshi parents), my Bengali/Bangla knowledge is pretty shit though and I can't read the language at all.

Ooh ok. Was just interested since I'm Bangladeshi. You can ask me some stuff if you want lol.
Jan 16, 2020 9:38 PM

May 2009
Missaliensan said:
I guess you already found it, but I was gonna guess Burqa Avenger lol.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 17, 2020 1:27 AM
Jul 2017
Chiibi said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

Lmao, 'anime' is just the Japanese word for 'animation' or 'cartoons'.

DUH. I'm aware of that, thanks. But we don't refer to ALL cartoons on MAL (or the whole community) as 'anime' for a specific reason so don't play dumb, okay?

I did mention why non-Japanese people only refer to Japanese shows when talking about anime, they do so because it's convenient. But that doesn't mean we get to decide what's anime and what isn't, because it remains a fact that all animation is anime according to the Japanese.
Jan 17, 2020 1:28 AM
May 2019
Anime are cartoons made in Japan, cartoons made in india are not anime.
Jan 17, 2020 9:18 AM

Nov 2008
monkeyDberzerk said:
But that doesn't mean we get to decide what's anime and what isn't, because it remains a fact that all animation is anime according to the Japanese.

Since we are ENGLISH-speakers here, actually we DO get to decide. Go to any definition online; other countries define 'anime' as 'animation from Japan.

More topics from this board

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - 2 hours ago

8 by Eleben »»
5 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 )

Cammell - Yesterday

65 by Kiryotsu »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime you’ve been with for a while

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

24 by shin0by »»
15 minutes ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ? ( 1 2 )

tchitchouan - Yesterday

56 by Ratris_Decision »»
23 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

139 by Lucifrost »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.