Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 16, 2017 9:35 AM

Apr 2015
The atmosphere, the story, are all great. Episode 1 to 9 is really, I would say episodes of "would better without the MC".

Episode 10 to 13 are great tho, I hope next time the anime has more screen time about Reg than Riko (if she is still annoying like in this season).
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 16, 2017 12:38 PM

Sep 2016
I survived akko from little witch academia, no MC can annoy me anymore. Riko is a very likeable character to me because despite her kinda dumb mistakes (which can be justified to an extent) she's still adorble and has more balls than a lot of male anime MCs.
Dec 16, 2017 1:02 PM

Apr 2016
I don't even know how to approach this.
Feb 22, 2018 5:27 PM

Feb 2013
Unfapable too...
Feb 26, 2018 2:18 AM
Jan 2017
This anime is AMAZING!! I aint gonna lie though you're right. I'm not the biggest fan of riko. At some points I just couldn't stand her. Oh well hopefully she'll get better.
Feb 26, 2018 12:38 PM
Feb 2018
Riko and Reg, both of them are the main characters. Tbh, I like Reg and Nanachi way more than Riko. She’s a naive crybaby who’s powerless.
Mar 2, 2018 6:57 PM
Feb 2018
I feel like your missing the point of her character. Yes she’s a crybaby and isn’t very strong, but they literally address that in the show. It’s very clear the author is setting her up for character growth. It would be unreasonable and unrealistic if she was strong considering she’s a 12 year old child, in a world without superpowers. And she realized this in episode 9. And she and Reg are foils, they are opposites. While Reg is extremely strong and powerful, he lacks good judgment, while Riko can’t fight but is incredibly knowledgeable about the abyss, and is very good at coming up with strategies. They both rely on each other, and without eachother they wouldn’t have survived in the abyss. Again, this something the anime states, and is shown, and something Riko realized in episode 9. (This is my only complaint with the show, that I wished they showed Riko’s knowledge and strategy making skills more, so that she would seem even more useful.) And I get this is subjective, but I think Riko is far from unlikable. She’s extremely charming and charismatic, and I think she’s a wonderfully written child character. Yes she’s selfish and impulsive, but aren’t most children like that? And as a manga reader I won’t spoil anything but let me just say: she has gone through quite a bit of character growth and development, and the next will have a rather large focus on her compared to this season, as well as more for Reg. But yeah, this is just my two cents on the matter.
Mar 3, 2018 11:42 AM

Jan 2018
I think her character is very realistic. As already mentioned, she's only 12. If she didn't have those characteristics that make her unlikable to some, she would be perfect. Enough anime exist with Mary Sues as MCs, don't you think?
Mar 7, 2018 2:38 PM
Aug 2016
BeyondTheStars said:
I survived akko from little witch academia, no MC can annoy me anymore. Riko is a very likeable character to me because despite her kinda dumb mistakes (which can be justified to an extent) she's still adorble and has more balls than a lot of male anime MCs.

EXACTLY RIGHT?! Akko is so annoying but I survived her. Compared to Riko shes not that bad and to be honest is a very brave girl for what she has gone through. A little more cheerfulness in the character's lifes wouldn't be bad.
Dec 9, 2018 10:07 PM

Jun 2015
Fantasymelon said:
I feel like your missing the point of her character. Yes she’s a crybaby and isn’t very strong, but they literally address that in the show. It’s very clear the author is setting her up for character growth. It would be unreasonable and unrealistic if she was strong considering she’s a 12 year old child, in a world without superpowers. And she realized this in episode 9. And she and Reg are foils, they are opposites. While Reg is extremely strong and powerful, he lacks good judgment, while Riko can’t fight but is incredibly knowledgeable about the abyss, and is very good at coming up with strategies. They both rely on each other, and without eachother they wouldn’t have survived in the abyss. Again, this something the anime states, and is shown, and something Riko realized in episode 9. (This is my only complaint with the show, that I wished they showed Riko’s knowledge and strategy making skills more, so that she would seem even more useful.) And I get this is subjective, but I think Riko is far from unlikable. She’s extremely charming and charismatic, and I think she’s a wonderfully written child character. Yes she’s selfish and impulsive, but aren’t most children like that? And as a manga reader I won’t spoil anything but let me just say: she has gone through quite a bit of character growth and development, and the next will have a rather large focus on her compared to this season, as well as more for Reg. But yeah, this is just my two cents on the matter.
1st I read this.
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:
Unfapable too...
But then I read this.
Dec 11, 2018 1:44 PM

May 2018
I think Riko is great - she's only like 12 years old, so give her a break!
Jan 4, 2019 1:10 AM
Jan 2015
Debasky said:
The atmosphere, the story, are all great. Episode 1 to 9 is really, I would say episodes of "would better without the MC".

Episode 10 to 13 are great tho, I hope next time the anime has more screen time about Reg than Riko (if she is still annoying like in this season).

exactly my feeling when I watch this
she was too annoying even for a kid character
Jan 4, 2019 6:17 PM

May 2014
She's awesome tho. Her and Reg are both extremely likable. So is Nanachi.

The fuck?
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Jan 9, 2019 11:03 AM
Nov 2015
Fantasymelon said:
yeah well said I kinda thought she was an uninteresting character but that's kinda expected when she's just a child.
Jan 9, 2019 11:04 AM
Nov 2015
Geshtinanna said:
I think Riko is great - she's only like 12 years old, so give her a break!
what do you expect from anime fans we're all unreasonable to things that annoy us.
Aug 6, 2019 1:19 AM

Apr 2017
I sort of agree. The world-building for this series is phenomenal but I can't stand any of the characters. She's annoying and an idiot. Both MCs kinda made me not want to watch it.
Awoo :3
Sep 18, 2019 9:19 AM
Aug 2019
Tush_grover said:
Riko and Reg, both of them are the main characters. Tbh, I like Reg and Nanachi way more than Riko. She’s a naive crybaby who’s powerless.
That's exactly what i thought too.
Sep 21, 2019 8:39 AM

Feb 2008
Here is the thing, most anime don't really ever present a main character child as if they were actually a child. So too many people look at Riko and think, she is stupid, can't do much on her own. But that is only when you compare her to unrealistic main characters in other anime like Gon from HxH. If you compare her to actual 12 year old children, she is actually very capable considering what they are doing in the anime and the world they live in.

People who find Riko annoying, I imagine are the same kind of people who don't want to see anything other than a powerful very capable main character. In which case, it just means you are probably watching the wrong kind of anime.

You also don't seem to understand Made in Abyss. They are all powerless and are at the mercy of the abyss, that is kind of the point. This isn't an anime where everything just works out somehow. Bad things will happen in this anime, because it isn't a power fantasy.
I am become bunny, fluffing of worlds.
Sep 22, 2019 1:08 PM
May 2019
MarchinBunny said:
They are all powerless and are at the mercy of the abyss, that is kind of the point. This isn't an anime where everything just works out somehow. Bad things will happen in this anime, because it isn't a power fantasy.

Are you calling Reg, who can oneshot everything with laser beam, immune to the Curse, indestructible and has tons of physical strength, "powerless"?
There is everything works for Riko somehow, from the robot, who randomly appeared on the surface and saved Riko from monster, to Nanachi, who went into the scene and fixed her arm like it isn't a big deal.
It's worse if you know what happened in manga. Riko doesn't need fantastic abilities or anything like this, when she has the strongest power in any fiction - power of plotarmor.
Sep 22, 2019 1:16 PM

Feb 2008
Ataraxette said:
MarchinBunny said:
They are all powerless and are at the mercy of the abyss, that is kind of the point. This isn't an anime where everything just works out somehow. Bad things will happen in this anime, because it isn't a power fantasy.

Are you calling Reg, who can oneshot everything with laser beam, immune to the Curse, indestructible and has tons of physical strength, "powerless"?
There is everything works for Riko somehow, from the robot, who randomly appeared on the surface and saved Riko from monster, to Nanachi, who went into the scene and fixed her arm like it isn't a big deal.
It's worse if you know what happened in manga. Riko doesn't need fantastic abilities or anything like this, when she has the strongest power in any fiction - power of plotarmor.

Reg is powerless in a sense, ya, when compared to what the Abyss has in store. I think the fight with Ozen is a good example of this. The first fight with Orby without Nanachi's help is another example. Bondrewd is yet another example.

Do they somehow manage to get by? Sure. Do they manage to beat things? Sure. But it's never without a cost or without some major struggles. And that just gets worse the further they go down.

See the issue is you are taking my powerless comment way to literal and out of context. For example, someone can be extremely strong, but they could be powerless and at the mercy of something. Like Superman with kryptonite, though that is a more extreme obvious example.
Sep 22, 2019 1:40 PM
May 2019
MarchinBunny said:

Do they somehow manage to get by? Sure. Do they manage to beat things? Sure. But it's never without a cost or without some major struggles. And that just gets worse the further they go down.

They are always getting away from everything without cost. Always.
Ozen simply pranked them.
The first fight with Orby is good example of power of plotarmor I mentioned. There is always something or someone to save them.

Bondrewd is the worst offender of them all.

But all this talk about power level isn't important. Characters can be OP and fun to watch. Characters can be OP and well written.
No matter how Reg and Riko are powerful (or powerless) they are just boring, one note cardboard cutouts. It's a girl, who wants to be Hokage... I mean White Whistle, and boy, who wants to protect someone close to him. They are the most basic, stereotypical duo of good guys you can imagine.
And they aren't growing as characters. They aren't changing by the events they went through, the people they met or "hardships" they experienced. The are stupid naive kids from chapter 1 to the chapter, where I dropped MiA, because I tired from their plotarmored asses.

It speaks a lot that this manga was near the cancellation before mangaka added Nanachi.
Sep 22, 2019 1:47 PM

Feb 2008
Ataraxette said:
MarchinBunny said:

They are always getting away from everything without cost. Always.
Ozen simply pranked them.
The first fight with Orby is good example of power of plotarmor I mentioned. There is always something or someone to save them.

Bondrewd is the worst offender of them all.

But all this talk about power level isn't important. Characters can be OP and fun to watch. Characters can be OP and well written.
No matter how Reg and Riko are powerful (or powerless) they are just boring, one note cardboard cutouts. It's a girl, who wants to be Hokage... I mean White Whistle, and boy, who wants to protect someone close to him. They are the most basic, stereotypical duo of good guys you can imagine.
And they aren't growing as characters. They aren't changing by the events they went through, the people they met or "hardships" they experienced. The are stupid naive kids from chapter 1 to the chapter, where I dropped MiA, because I tired from their plotarmored asses.

It speaks a lot that this manga was near the cancellation before mangaka added Nanachi.

Are you not familiar with how stories work or something? Cause you are not stating anything surprising here or what I would consider bad. All stories typically have plot armor because the story needs to continue. So I don't really understand what you are arguing here.

I also disagree. There is nothing boring about them. Nothing you argued here makes them sound boring. To me it just sounds like you have a problem with the main characters not being super powerful and all knowing. If anything it sounds to me like you want more of the plot armor that you are complaining about.

What you want is to make the character less unique and more like any other character in any other anime who is super strong and super knowledgeable and rarely makes any mistakes.

You dropped Made in abyss? Then why the heck are you here? Why are you here complaining?

Edit: And it also doesn't matter that the manga was close to cancellation at one point. It's not now, and it's extremely popular. So get over it.
Sep 22, 2019 1:58 PM
May 2019
How is this
MarchinBunny said:

to me it just sounds like you have a problem with the main characters not being super powerful and all knowing.

related to this?

Did you miss entire paragraph, where I pointed that main issue with Reg and Riko isn't their power level, but bland, stable, flat characters and lack of development?

Me too don't see a reason to argue with a person, who can't read.
Sep 22, 2019 2:11 PM

Feb 2008
Ataraxette said:
How is this
MarchinBunny said:

to me it just sounds like you have a problem with the main characters not being super powerful and all knowing.

related to this?

Did you miss entire paragraph, where I pointed that main issue with Reg and Riko isn't their power level, but bland, stable, flat characters and lack of development?

Me too don't see a reason to argue with a person, who can't read.

I can read just fine. My problem with what you said is it doesn't make any sense.
Nothing you pointed out says it's bland, flat characters, or lack of development. All you did was give vague remarks about the characters and then called them that.

Which can be done for EVERY character in existence. You can break down every character that exists into a vague sentence or two. But that is often not all that they are, that is just all you are pointing out because you are being biased and dislike the characters.

For example, you have listed as one of your favorite characters Alucard. He is far more bland than even Riko. And this is coming from someone who also likes Hellsing Ultimate. But if you consider these characters from MiA bland, there is no way in hell he is also not bland. He is essentially just an edgy vampire with 0 character development. Less development than even these character you are arguing that have no character development.

So I really don't think you dislike MiA characters because they are bland. I just think you dislike their personality/character type or something.

Edit: Also I assumed it had to do with them not being powerful because the conversation up to this point has had a lot to do with Riko being weak.

Edit 2: To give an example of how you are biased, you broke down Riko into someone who wants to become a white whistle only "Hokage". Which actually you are wrong about anyway. The only reason or the main reason she wanted to become a white whistle is because they didn't have a depth limit. Once she departed into the Abyss, I doubt she would have any valid reasoning to still wanting to become a white whistle other than just to have the title itself. She always seemed more interested in learning and becoming stronger and more capable. As well as just finding out more about her mother and making it down to her.

She is also a girl who loves adventure and is fascinated with the Abyss and all it contains. She is highly interested in her mother and would like to meet her. She is interested in Reg and what his story is. She is young, and yes ... extremely naive. At the same time, she is also pretty intelligent but that intelligence can only carry her so far. She is still a child and a lot of what she wants to do, she simply isn't capable of doing. Her body can't keep up with her mind.

You can make any character seem one dimensional when you avoid listing more information about them. That doesn't mean they actually are though.

Plus, your plot armor arguments still don't make sense. All characters, specifically the main characters typically have plot armor. Though I would argue in the case of MiA, the plot armor is far looser than you are giving it credit for. They could kill off any of the main characters and as long as one is standing the story could technically go on.
MarchinBunnySep 22, 2019 2:34 PM
Sep 22, 2019 3:31 PM
May 2019
MarchinBunny said:
For example, you have listed as one of your favorite characters Alucard. He is far more bland than even Riko.

Okay, let's talk about Alucard.
He is powerful entity, who decided to serve a mere human. He can broke or kill Integra any time he wants, but instead he is completely obedient to her orders, because he values her humanity and her strong will. He is a monster, who hates other monsters, but respects humans. I agree that with the lack development, but this guy is ancient, I wouldn't expect him switching from one mood to another like a teenager. However, we've got some bits of his past to (how many times you've seen manly characters, who were raped?) understand his motivation and why he is like this. I would also like to point that in spite of badass behaviour and monstrous nature, he has a goofy side.
His relationships with Integra and Seras are also unique. It's not often when you have completely platonic dynamic between man and woman. And while his relationships with Integra doesn't change that much, you can notice how Seras slowly grows in his eyes.
Just like you don't often have antihero/villain MC in anime.

However, I don't consider Alucard's character (and Hellsing as franchise) really well written. Like I mentioned in one my previous posts: fun things are fun. And, yes, my love for Alucard also comes from the fact that he is a hot man with sexy Jouji Nakata voice.

Now come back to MiA.
Reg is powerful entity, who decided to serve a mere human, because... We don't know. There is a time skip from the times he was found to the moment, when Riko Lyza's White Whistle was delievred to surface. We don't know where his respect and puppy love for Riko came from, besides "he was a boy and she was a girl". Reg is amnesiac, which is already massive cliche, and due to his memory loss his personality is the most basic brown haired nice guy from every second anime. And just like every brown haired audience's surrogate he is surrounded in the sea of female characters, who can't stop blushing near him (except Ozen, who is the only somewhat decent female character in MiA). Just think about it: HENTAI artist Kouta Hirano was capable to write a story without forced romantic shit, but in MiA you have a damn hot spring scene after funerals.
Sorry, I can't write more about Reg, because there is nothing to write about. I must admit, I hate his archetype of a goody two shoes floormate, who serves as self-insert.
I can't write about Riko as well, this girl can be replaced with a brick, which needs to be delivered to the bottom of the Abyss.

And they aren't fun to watch at least for me. They are squealing, potato shaped kids with absolute lack of charisma.

So I really don't think you dislike MiA characters because they are bland. I just think you dislike their personality/character type or something.

I already pointed that I dislike that their type "They are the most basic, stereotypical duo of good guys you can imagine". But the worst part about it is that they are the most basic, stereotypical duo of good guys you can imagine after 40+ chapters.
AtaraxetteSep 22, 2019 4:00 PM
Sep 22, 2019 4:18 PM

Feb 2008
Ataraxette said:

He is powerful entity, who decided to serve a mere human. He can broke or kill Integra any time he wants, but instead he is completely obedient to her orders, because he values her humanity and her strong will. He is a monster, who hates other monsters, but respects humans. I agree that with the lack development, but this guy is ancient, I wouldn't expect him switching from one mood to another like a teenager. However, we've got some bits of his past to (how many times you've seen manly characters, who were raped?) understand his motivation and why he is like this. I would also like to point that in spite of badass behaviour and monstrous nature, he has a goofy side.

His relationships with Integra and Seras are also unique. It's not often when you have completely platonic dynamic between man and woman. And while his relationships with Integra doesn't change that much, you can notice how Seras slowly grows in his eyes.

However, I don't consider Alucard's character (and Hellsing as franchise) really well written. Like I mentioned in one my previous posts: fun things are fun. And, yes, my love for Alucard also comes from the fact that he is a hot man with sexy Jouji Nakata voice.

So basically, your argument can be summed up to "I think Alucard is fun, but I don't think MiA characters are." I got news for you, a character being "fun" is extremely subjective and has very little to do with whether or not they are flat. A big part of your argument before was this plot armor, which I already pointed out, doesn't even make sense to complain about. You can't have a story with dangers without their being some form of plot armor taking place. Do they manage to escape somehow? Yes ... of course they do, as every main character in most stories do. Not exactly surprising lol. To act like that's a bad thing is weird considering the only stories that wouldn't be guilty of this would be stories that are not revolving around a few main characters, but more revolves around the world itself with a ton of characters. Game of Thrones is probably a good example of this. But not many series do this. Certainly not anime.

So when you complain about it, what it typically tells me is you are just hating on MiA just to hate on it because you don't like it. You didn't come here to give any sort of good feedback, you came here to argue with someone because you personally don't like the main characters and apparently can't stand when someone sticks up for them.

Now come back to MiA.
Reg is powerful entity, who decided to serve a mere human, because... We don't know. There is a time skip from the times he was found to the moment, when Riko Lyza's White Whistle was found. We don't know where his respect and puppy love for Riko came from, besides "he was a boy and she was a girl". Reg is amnesiac, which is already massive cliche, and due to his memory loss his personality is the most basic brown haired nice guy from every second anime.

Well we do know he was with Lyza. You are pretty much complaining that the story isn't complete when it's still currently going. Of course you don't know everything yet, it's not finished. But to say we don't know where his respect and puppy love comes from with Riko is none sense. Riko is Lyza's daughter, that at least gives you some indication right? Even if it is subconscious. Clearly there is a connection there.

Also, something being a "cliche" doesn't make it bad. So that's also not a good argument. It never is, and it never will be. Just because something is used often in story telling doesn't mean it can never be used again. Let's not focus so much on what is and isn't a cliche because it really doesn't matter. A vampire wearing red is cliche ... who cares. It's not important. Don't even get me started on you mentioning his brown hair and him being nice. Jeez ... who cares. That's such a dumb argument.

And just like every brown haired audience's surrogate he is surrounded in the sea of female characters, who can't stop blushing near him (except Ozen, who is the only somewhat decent female character in MiA).

What are you even talking about? The only female we know for certain that is around him is Riko and she rarely ever blushes at him if she ever has. A big bpart of the joke is that he always blushes at her because she doesn't seem to care about being naked in front of him. This means she doesn't even think of him in that sort of sense like you are insinuating here. Plus, we don't even know if Nanachi is a girl. Nanachi being the only main character that blushes at him frequently, but it's clearly nothing to do with what you normally would see in a harem. Nananchi isn't blushing cause they like him, it's because they don't like to be touched and rubbed by him. And the only other character I can think of that has ever blushed at Reg is Marulk, which is a boy.

Clearly, you have not been paying very much attention in this series. It's absurd that you think all the other characters constantly blush at him. Like are you blind?

Just think about it: HENTAI artist Kouta Hirano was capable to write a story without forced romantic shit, but in MiA you have a damn hot spring scene after funerals.

We actually don't even know how long past between those scenes, but even if it was a short period of time, do you expect people to just stop living their lives after someone dies? Oh, you can't take a bath after you went to a funeral? Why? Maybe it's a cultural difference, ever think of that? You complain about things being bland, but then when they do something you consider weird you mark that as something bad. To me it sounds like again you are just here to complain.

Sorry, I can't write more about Reg, because there is nothing to write about. I must admit, I hate his archetype of a goody two shoes floormate, who serves as self-insert.
I can't write about Riko as well, this girl can be replaced with a brick, which needs to be delivered to the bottom of the Abyss.

I never understand people like you. What is wrong with being a goody toe shoes exactly? What is wrong with being nice? What you want everyone in an anime to be jerks or something? I really don't understand. But whatever, it's your personal opinion, so there is no reason to argue with me about it. You are not going to change my mind or anything if that is what you think. You are wasting your time.

As for Riko, I already was able to write plenty about her. You not being able to think of anything isn't an indication of her being easily replaced, it's more of an indication with your inability to retain the information you read. Even if you dislike here, there is plenty to point out.

And they aren't fun to watch at least for me. They are squealing, potato shaped kids with absolute lack of charisma.

You should look up what charisma means. Riko's personality is literally what you would typically call charismatic. I just think it's not the kind you like, which again ... why are you here arguing with me about your opinion on these characters as if it's fact?

Sep 22, 2019 5:07 PM
May 2019
MarchinBunny said:
So when you complain about it, what it typically tells me is you are just hating on MiA just to hate on it because you don't like it.

Okay, I made a mistake, I gave you a chance, but you are certainly a waste of time and oxygen.

You can't give me arguments what is good about Reg's and Riko's writing, instead you wrote this worthless wall of text, which can be shortened into few words "your opinion is wrong, because self-proclaimed anime-elitist like myself decided so". You can't explain what is good about their writing, what kind of development they got and why you like them so much. You can't even remember what's going in manga you love so much or simply playing (do you even need this?) dumb.
There is certanly more than one female character around Reg
(manga spoilers)

Is drooling instead of blushing count?

So, you aren't just full of yourself, but you are also a liar.

Sep 22, 2019 5:10 PM

Feb 2008
Ataraxette said:
MarchinBunny said:
So when you complain about it, what it typically tells me is you are just hating on MiA just to hate on it because you don't like it.

Okay, I made a mistake, I gave you a chance, but you are certainly a waste of time and oxygen.

You can't give me arguments what is good about Reg's and Riko's writing, instead you wrote this worthless wall of text, which can be shortened into few words "your opinion is wrong, because self-proclaimed anime-elitist like myself decided so". You can't explain what is good about their writing, what kind of development they got and why you like them so much. You can't even remember what's going in manga you love so much or simply playing (do you even need this?) dumb.

So, you aren't just full of yourself, but you are also a liar.

I not once said your opinion is wrong. I just said it's your opinion.
And what are the two images? Of people blushing? Is that what you are trying to show? Cause if so, that is still a long way from a harem where he is surrounded by girls that constantly blush at him.

There honestly is very little blushing despite what you claim. It's not a constant thing.

Edit: Also, if the pictures are just to show other girls that he ends up having around him, that doesn't really prove any point you made since the contention wasn't that he ever has girls around. But that they are constantly around blushing at him like some sort of harem. You are the one who compared it to that lol.

Edit 2: Also, at no point did I lie. I specifically said the only other character I can think of. Keywords ... "I can think of." That very well insinuates that I could be missing some.

And it really doesn't change the point I was making. It's not a constant thing like you claim.
MarchinBunnySep 22, 2019 5:20 PM
Sep 26, 2019 3:46 PM

Jul 2019
Tbh I really did not mind her. I still like Riko. I have seen more annoying characters
Sep 26, 2019 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
I personally don't care for her much either but I'm still invested because I like Reg, Nanachi, and the world in general.
Sep 30, 2019 1:14 AM

Mar 2019
I know bait when I see it :/ I like Riko. Shout out to the person who was able to watch Little Witch Academia despite Akko omg lol.
Sep 30, 2019 1:48 AM

Feb 2019
Riko is youngest member of the trio so she is supposed to be dumb and hyperactive. She's just a kid compared to regu and nanacchi whose ages are unjustified.
Nov 22, 2019 4:54 PM
Nov 2019
Ataraxette said:
MarchinBunny said:
For example, you have listed as one of your favorite characters Alucard. He is far more bland than even Riko.

Now come back to MiA.
Reg is powerful entity, who decided to serve a mere human, because... We don't know. There is a time skip from the times he was found to the moment, when Riko Lyza's White Whistle was delievred to surface. We don't know where his respect and puppy love for Riko came from, besides "he was a boy and she was a girl". Reg is amnesiac, which is already massive cliche, and due to his memory loss his personality is the most basic brown haired nice guy from every second anime. And just like every brown haired audience's surrogate he is surrounded in the sea of female characters, who can't stop blushing near him (except Ozen, who is the only somewhat decent female character in MiA). Just think about it: HENTAI artist Kouta Hirano was capable to write a story without forced romantic shit, but in MiA you have a damn hot spring scene after funerals.

I already pointed that I dislike that their type "They are the most basic, stereotypical duo of good guys you can imagine". But the worst part about it is that they are the most basic, stereotypical duo of good guys you can imagine after 40+ chapters.

Good point. A brick cannot get poisoned. Would have been more convenient had she been one.
Nov 22, 2019 5:09 PM
Nov 2019
Ataraxette said:
MarchinBunny said:

Sure, he's all powerful, but does he fully know how to use such power? That's Reg's problem. He's made to easily overcome the Abyss, yet suffers from the common clichè case of 'I conveniently remember fuck all of my previous life', therefore does not know how to fully use his weapons until learning how to do so. I agree with you that Riko has a bit of plot armor. I for one was hoping that Nanachi wouldn't have stopped Reg from cutting Riko's arm off. Her appearance felt a bit too convenient and expected tbh.
And yes, the two protags are pretty generic and bland. A crane taking a brick to the Abyss if you will. But they're still kids. I wonder if making them this bland was the actual intention, given their age and naivety.
The only characters I truly like are Ozen and Nanachi. And Mitty, but mainly as a 'character that serves a purpose to another character' if you know what I mean.
May 16, 2020 5:12 AM

Aug 2014
MarchinBunny said:

People who find Riko annoying, I imagine are the same kind of people who don't want to see anything other than a powerful very capable main character. In which case, it just means you are probably watching the wrong kind of anime.

Just chiming in to say this isn't true for everyone. I found her slightly annoying, and it had nothing to do with her being powerless or lack of abilities. It wasn't really the naivete per se either, just a combination of her actions and personality.

That's not to say she's all bad, she had her good parts too and was needed for the story. Just my highly subjective opinion.

I had no trouble with the other characters and found it easier to sympathize with them.
May 16, 2020 8:26 AM

Feb 2008
sockerdricka said:
MarchinBunny said:

Just chiming in to say this isn't true for everyone. I found her slightly annoying, and it had nothing to do with her being powerless or lack of abilities. It wasn't really the naivete per se either, just a combination of her actions and personality.

That's not to say she's all bad, she had her good parts too and was needed for the story. Just my highly subjective opinion.

I had no trouble with the other characters and found it easier to sympathize with them.

There is a difference between finding some things she does or says as annoying, vs just finding her character as generally annoying. She is a child, she will do things that will annoy you because she is so young. But as a character, it makes sense.

If I said she never did anything that annoyed me, I would be lying. But Riko as a character, as a whole. I wouldn't use annoying to describe her.
May 16, 2020 1:36 PM
Jul 2019
I don't mind her
Yeah she's nothing special but she's not that bad
Kind of forgettable
May 18, 2020 11:13 AM

Mar 2020
she is a bitch and reg suffers because of her

KuroNekoAlchemyMay 18, 2020 11:21 AM
May 25, 2020 1:33 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
You all hate Riko only because of a jealousy. Yeah, eat that shit, haters.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 30, 2020 10:30 AM
Feb 2020
badabass said:
You all hate Riko only because of a jealousy. Yeah, eat that shit, haters.

No offense to Riko but nothing about her is special. Its not that i hate her as a person, i just hate how useless she is. It feels like she is only there cause the anime needed 2 characters to develop Reg. When you really think about it the only thing she really did was get carried by reg to the lower levels. I dont even think she would have gotten to Ouzen without him.

Its like a Max rank in a game carrying the lowest rank. It dosent make her a bad person it just makes her useless. That said, if she was strong as reg then the show would be kinda boring and if she wasnt there it would be too. But shes kinda like a sakura.

If she wasnt in the show it would probably never work out and shes definitely needed to progress the story. But tbh she could probably be replaced by almost any other character thats female and likes to adventure. (insert lenny face)
NotificationsMay 30, 2020 10:34 AM
Jun 25, 2020 6:52 AM
Apr 2020
When I was 12 I wasn’t so stupid
Jul 3, 2020 9:04 PM
Oct 2012
Wait so you mean reg isn't the protagonist
Jul 18, 2020 4:38 AM
Jul 2018
She is pretty annoying too
Jan 30, 2021 4:01 PM
Apr 2018
Ataraxette said:
MarchinBunny said:

Now come back to MiA.

really good explained, I share your opinion
Jan 31, 2021 7:20 PM

May 2015
Honestly I never once thought of her in a negative light till I saw this post. I can see how someone could come to that conclusion but I would tell that person to not let that ruin the experience because it is a great one. Riko could’ve used a little more depth but their are for more annoying main characters then her, she’s actually quite admirable.
"I'm always alone. Other people don't factor into what I do. The things that happen in front of me are parts of my life and my life alone." - 8man
Feb 3, 2021 5:50 AM

Apr 2015
The secondary characters are waaay superior and more intersting characters than the main couple.
Feb 9, 2021 9:42 PM

Oct 2013
She's a very realistic representation of what a brave and driven child could be like in the real world, so adults are generally going to find her very endearing. But she's whiny and childish, which is a given, because she's a child. And kids hate seeing those traits.

Kids generally want to watch characters who they wish they were like. If a kid wishes they were cooler or less emotional, they'll be drawn to the cool emotionless characters. If they feel powerless, they'll be drawn to the powerful characters.

Feb 23, 2021 2:35 PM

Oct 2016
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:
Unfapable too...
That's what you're worried about? Seriously?
Feb 27, 2021 4:51 AM

Aug 2019
Having Reg around makes the show so much better.

"...fatih, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love."

"I began to trust the world [...] to give unforeseen goods and pleasures that I had not thought to want."

Feb 27, 2021 5:00 AM

Oct 2010
I respect that Riko is called annoying. I don't respect that Riko is called useless. Watch the damn show because its discourse about this is very clear. In more than a few aspects, Reg is more vulnerable than Riko, even if he can survive attacks he wouldn't be able to advance without her. That's how their tag team works and that's how it's highlighted in the series.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2017

180 by eWEQRW123123 »»
Apr 19, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

768 by asbest0sdust »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

234 by p1f1 »»
Apr 16, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Are the movies cannon…?

Skylar-whoo - Apr 15

21 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 15, 7:43 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2017

190 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 24, 7:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.