Forum Settings
Forums

Criticisms of specific anime you disagree with?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 18, 2019 9:37 AM

Jun 2014
puneetsingh said:
Seiya said:

I'm not reading that.

Please don't quote me anymore. I'm no longer open to being quoted by anyone. Just ignore me instead.
LOL, you asked me to explain and now not reading it is just wasting my time. Anyway, NOTE: u know that u are giving opinion on a forum so obviously someone can opinion u here.

No, because I don't like debating with people.

I only care about my own opinions.

Sep 18, 2019 9:42 AM

Jul 2019
Seiya said:
puneetsingh said:
LOL, you asked me to explain and now not reading it is just wasting my time. Anyway, NOTE: u know that u are giving opinion on a forum so obviously someone can opinion u here.

No, because I don't like debating with people.

I only care about my own opinions.
Then u can ignore criticism. U were hating on critics like u actually care about others opinion. So if u don't care about critics then why wasting time on hating it?
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Sep 18, 2019 10:24 AM

Dec 2015
I definitely agree with you on Stein;Gate. In fact, the only reason I didn't give it a 10 was because on the middle part on the 2nd arc (the part were Okabe have to undo everything he did with D-mail wasn't as good as the rest of the series).

But if I have to choose another criticism I disagree, it would be that the majority of people think Season 1 of SNK is the worst part of it only because it focus a lot on action and it doesn't develop characters that much.

Action shows do need to have substance. I'm not gonna be like KnY fanboys who defend a show with empty story and characters. That's why I belive S1 of SNK had a lot of substance, but people only remember for the action. The great thing about S1 was to balance character and world developing, while creating extremelly epic and tense action scenes. Everything was happening at the same time, so a lot of people only remember the the most impactful elements.

1st part of S1 developed SO much the three main characters (Eren, Mikasa and Armin). The first arc is definitely about those 3, and people tend to forget that. But besides that, it did so much worldbuilding, which people also tend to underestimate how important this is. Second part developed a lot about the Survey Corps, their political differences with the Military Polices, and more secondary characters like Erwin, Levi squad, Hange and Annie.

And I also want to point out that choosing to not develop every single character of the series in the 1st/2nd arc is a great thing. The show would lose way too much time on developing those characters and it barely would "start" and get boring quickly, which is something that can not happen on the first couple of episodes no matter what
BetterTasteSep 18, 2019 10:42 AM
Sep 18, 2019 10:41 AM

Mar 2013
I agree with OP on Steins;Gate. I've only watched it once, and that one time I greatly enjoyed every single episode. I found the start really enjoyable, especially because of the sense of something going on and getting the chance to slowly try and figure it out alongside the characters.

The criticism I really can't stand though is the idea that FMA 2003 is bad for no reason except it doesn't follow the manga. I personally really didn't enjoy Brotherhood. A lot of the later manga plotlines and characters feel sort of infantile and I don't like the way things progress. The idea that it's automatically a masterpiece for no reason except "it's how the manga's plot goes" is stupid. Brotherhood's adaptation isn't even good - it assumes you're already familiar with the story and rushes through the starting acts. There's no impact to anything for a really long time, and it makes it hard to care.
FMA 2003 though? I went in knowing nothing of FMA and I adored it. The character interactions and developments feel so much more real here. It's a more mature story, not because it's "darker" but because it relies so much more on emotion. I much prefer the twists of 2003 as well - Roy's development in particular is especially interesting here. Seeing people ignore all of it just because it's anime original is so infuriating! An anime doesn't have to word for word copy the manga to be good - if anything, that's a detriment.

inim said:
In School Days, each and every character deserves your hatred to some degree, and is acting in moronic ways. Most people stop here, and hate the anime for that. However, writing characters this way isn't really easy, and the watcher's negative emotions are triggered very well. That's quite a writing achievement, because I don't think this happens by accident. And the finale is, of course, peak absurdity - also not easy to achieve.

I agree with this a lot. School Days is an over the top drama, and as an over the top drama it excels. It reminds me of really insane soap opera plots, which I also love.
EcchiGodMamster said:
any sort of negative view on fanservice

I agree with this too. There's some fanservice that can detract from the story, but fanservice as a whole isn't bad because of it. A lot of it can be very enjoyable, especially when it's played for laughs.
Sep 18, 2019 11:46 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
straggy said:
I agree with OP on Steins;Gate. I've only watched it once, and that one time I greatly enjoyed every single episode. I found the start really enjoyable, especially because of the sense of something going on and getting the chance to slowly try and figure it out alongside the characters.

The criticism I really can't stand though is the idea that FMA 2003 is bad for no reason except it doesn't follow the manga. I personally really didn't enjoy Brotherhood. A lot of the later manga plotlines and characters feel sort of infantile and I don't like the way things progress. The idea that it's automatically a masterpiece for no reason except "it's how the manga's plot goes" is stupid. Brotherhood's adaptation isn't even good - it assumes you're already familiar with the story and rushes through the starting acts. There's no impact to anything for a really long time, and it makes it hard to care.
FMA 2003 though? I went in knowing nothing of FMA and I adored it. The character interactions and developments feel so much more real here. It's a more mature story, not because it's "darker" but because it relies so much more on emotion. I much prefer the twists of 2003 as well - Roy's development in particular is especially interesting here. Seeing people ignore all of it just because it's anime original is so infuriating! An anime doesn't have to word for word copy the manga to be good - if anything, that's a detriment.

inim said:
In School Days, each and every character deserves your hatred to some degree, and is acting in moronic ways. Most people stop here, and hate the anime for that. However, writing characters this way isn't really easy, and the watcher's negative emotions are triggered very well. That's quite a writing achievement, because I don't think this happens by accident. And the finale is, of course, peak absurdity - also not easy to achieve.

I agree with this a lot. School Days is an over the top drama, and as an over the top drama it excels. It reminds me of really insane soap opera plots, which I also love.
EcchiGodMamster said:
any sort of negative view on fanservice

I agree with this too. There's some fanservice that can detract from the story, but fanservice as a whole isn't bad because of it. A lot of it can be very enjoyable, especially when it's played for laughs.

fanservice is best when its fucking hot, not when its funny
Sep 18, 2019 11:53 AM

Dec 2017
Shinji Ikari not doing anything throughout Evangelion. Literally the one time Shinji lives up to his reputation is in End of Evangelion, the rest of the series he's literally the most proactive and successful pilot and does less whining than Asuka. Almost all the "Shinji sits around crying in a corner" stuff is literally not what happens for the entire run of the TV series, in fact he disobeys orders to run more than he actually runs away.

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Sep 18, 2019 11:54 AM

Jun 2019
There are several ones which are commonplace that I couldn't more vehemently disagree with and I may edit this post later, but for now, the one that foremost springs to mind is:

Criticism of the art style in Shiki. I loved the art. Yes, it looked different, more colorful and eccentric/exaggerated in its character designs like hair style in a way which contradicts what you might expect from the tone of the subject matter. I thought it created a beautiful contrast, was so much more desirable than more plain and realistic character designs, and was one of the key factors which kept it from feeling like just another rehash of any other vampire story.

I hear this criticism constantly, both by people who overall disliked or even detested the anime, and even by those who are fairly positive on it but cite it as a negative point. And I couldn't feel more on the opposite side. I feel like those who really hated it that much might as well just be content with the 1001 other variations of live action vampire tales which would have the aesthetic of more realism they're clamoring for, but the anime tried to do something different. It was praiseworthy and disappointing it attracted so much hatred.
WatchTillTandavaSep 18, 2019 11:58 AM
Sep 18, 2019 12:34 PM
Jul 2018
-Nyammy- said:
Shinji Ikari not doing anything throughout Evangelion. Literally the one time Shinji lives up to his reputation is in End of Evangelion, the rest of the series he's literally the most proactive and successful pilot and does less whining than Asuka. Almost all the "Shinji sits around crying in a corner" stuff is literally not what happens for the entire run of the TV series, in fact he disobeys orders to run more than he actually runs away.

Yeah, I should've mentioned that in the OP. I went into Eva expecting an MC who runs away a lot, but I counted, and, including End of Eva, the amount of times Shinji refuses to get into the robot is...4. It makes me wonder if people who say Shinji's a pussy watched Eva a long time ago.

@WatchTillTandava

I agree that contrast is important. Hell, it's something we were even taught in art class. But I feel contrast needs to serve a purpose other. For example, in Higurashi, the contrast between the characters' cute appearances and the bloody tone works, because the characters' cute appearances are meant to exemplify their seeming innocence.

thiago52192 said:
I definitely agree with you on Stein;Gate. In fact, the only reason I didn't give it a 10 was because on the middle part on the 2nd arc (the part were Okabe have to undo everything he did with D-mail wasn't as good as the rest of the series).

But if I have to choose another criticism I disagree, it would be that the majority of people think Season 1 of SNK is the worst part of it only because it focus a lot on action and it doesn't develop characters that much.

Action shows do need to have substance. I'm not gonna be like KnY fanboys who defend a show with empty story and characters. That's why I belive S1 of SNK had a lot of substance, but people only remember for the action. The great thing about S1 was to balance character and world developing, while creating extremelly epic and tense action scenes. Everything was happening at the same time, so a lot of people only remember the the most impactful elements.

1st part of S1 developed SO much the three main characters (Eren, Mikasa and Armin). The first arc is definitely about those 3, and people tend to forget that. But besides that, it did so much worldbuilding, which people also tend to underestimate how important this is. Second part developed a lot about the Survey Corps, their political differences with the Military Polices, and more secondary characters like Erwin, Levi squad, Hange and Annie.

And I also want to point out that choosing to not develop every single character of the series in the 1st/2nd arc is a great thing. The show would lose way too much time on developing those characters and it barely would "start" and get boring quickly, which is something that can not happen on the first couple of episodes no matter what

It's funny: I watched AOT twice, yet all I remember from it is, "screaming, action, shitty characters". A lot of characters in AOT season 1 died without having any development. But maybe you're right; maybe if I rewatched season 1 now, I'd find a lot more substance.
Sep 18, 2019 12:43 PM

Mar 2013
EcchiGodMamster said:
straggy said:

lol I mean that too, but you've got to admit that ecchi humour is usually stellar.
Sep 18, 2019 12:59 PM

Oct 2010
Something I read a lot about Harukana Receive's conclusion was that
Sep 18, 2019 1:03 PM

Jun 2019
AbsurdistOtaku said:
@WatchTillTandava

I agree that contrast is important. Hell, it's something we were even taught in art class. But I feel contrast needs to serve a purpose other. For example, in Higurashi, the contrast between the characters' cute appearances and the bloody tone works, because the characters' cute appearances are meant to exemplify their seeming innocence.

I don't think there was any deep thematic purpose - at least not one that I gleaned. Just a visual contrast from the dark events transpiring in the story of these creatures' attempt to exterminate an entire village. But more to my point, I just don't see why it's a negative or detracting point at all. It's colorful and creative and doesn't add anything negative to the show, so I just don't see what people seem to so utterly dislike about it. Because it makes it feel less realistic to not have extremely plain designs with everything being normal/lifelike proportions and colors? In my mind, if that's what you want, there are so many other shows out there for that. The vampire sub-genre with its reliance on some common staples and tropes in its lore needs any fresh air injected into it that it can get. I just don't see how that could be considered a bad thing.

I'd say just turn it off and watch Salem's Lot or the million other vampire stories with more realistic looking human characters if it bothers anyone that much. I turned on Shiki for something different and to me that minor stylistic difference was part of the packaging in the net positive direction.
WatchTillTandavaSep 18, 2019 1:06 PM
Sep 18, 2019 1:22 PM
Aug 2015
Granbelm got tons of hate just for being mecha despite being one of the best animes this season, and there was no CGI in it at all
Sep 18, 2019 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
Tsukizono said:
TheKawaiiToon said:
Possibly the best answer I could find is that shows like MHA and Demon Slayer are criticized to be an "average shonen". But I highly disagree because of reasons. While I do agree that they may have straightforward plots that could have predictable outcomes (Deku turns into the ultimate hero and Nezuko turns back into human again), what makes them good is not about reaching the goal, but the journey that Deku and Tanjiro goes through as well as the enjoyment and the characters that the series has. Also, they are animated by very good studios who knows how to handle good animation well.

I disagree. It isn't because of the straightforward story that it's dubbed "average". It's the characters. Demon Slayer's characters are endearing and fun to watch, but they aren't very well-developed or interesting (I suppose as a manga reader I am biased since I know what happens later). Also they get tossed aside very quickly without contributing much to the plot (i.e. Tamayo and Yushiro, Urokodaki, Sabito and Makomo). Shounen series like Haikyuu also has a fairly straightforward sports anime narrative, but no one calls it an "average" shounen because the character development and presentation of themes is done very cohesively and builds on each other.

Kimetsu's way of developing characters is repetitive with tragic flashbacks for every single character, and the pacing of the anime is seriously slow. Character arcs like Zenitsu's don't really build onto the overall theme of empathy unlike Haikyuu where seemingly "typical" character arcs you'd see in a lot of sports anime series build onto overall themes. The "monsters have feelings too" theme has been done to death by shounen including HxH Chimera Ant Arc which presented it with more dimensions. I am not caught up with MHA Season 3 and the series is obviously made to be long running so I cannot comment, but thus far MHA has more potential for better character and thematic depth.

I get your point, but I thought the tragic flashbacks and the "monsters have feelings" aspect (despite how repetitive) in Demon Slayer were well executed. And at least it does not have the "power of friendship" bullshit. Sure it has somewhat slow pacing, but I thought the slow pacing adds to the atmosphere of the show.
And about what you said about interesting characters being tossed aside later on, it doesn't really matter. They are only supporting characters and have a lesser purpose to the story than the mc's. There's nothing really wrong about that. It's like saying if one of the side characters from Violet Evergarden or One Piece should have a better purpose in the story than they should.
I'm not sure about the character development part since I haven't read the manga yet. But if I do believe, the content we got now from the anime is just the opening act of the story where the characters aren't that too developed yet.
Sep 18, 2019 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
I guess, people, who say The Ancient Magus Bride feels kind of abusive, rapey and whatnotall... haven't seen more than the first half of the first episode? I even read somewhere (don't remember, if it was here or elsewhere) a comparison to fucking 50 Shades of Grey. Dafuq. DAFUQ.
Let me spoiler you and tell you: Elias is doing nothing wrong to Chise.
Thank you for your attention.
Sincerely,
someone who has seen the whole thing.
Sep 18, 2019 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
Asaeed said:
I've heard people say they dislike Vinland Saga because Thorfinn is too "edgy" which I find unbelievable.

I find that strange, because I think Thorfinn's dark personality has some of the best justification among anime characters. He:

-Witnessed his father being dishonorably killed
-Joined the same mercenary gang who killed him for years, so without doubt that would make him grumpy to be around them.
-Witnessed the worst of humanity (pillaging, rape and murder of innocents), all of which he played a part in.
Sep 18, 2019 2:38 PM

Feb 2019
CGI is bad.
I know CGI is not good as 2d animation. But come on. It's not that bad. Yes. There are many terrible CGI anime, but so are 2d. Imo anime's like Ajin and Vinland Saga have decent CGI.
Sep 18, 2019 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
I find the ending of Hisone to Maso-san satisfying, though deeply I hoped it could have mixed more military and political conflicts with those flying dragons.

Also I don't mind the ending of HUGtto Precure where they push pro-birth messages to young girl viewers. I found it to be one of the most emotional endings.

Also the environmental preaching in Arjuna is not as annoying as reviews make it look.

Rescue Wings may have few inconsistencies but in no way do they detract from the realism and the tension in rescue operations.

Seiya said:

Well, that's your opinion, but I'll never develop the critical mindset that some people here have, and that's why I never want to see 1000 Anime, because most people who have seen that many Anime are too critical of what they watch.

For me it's quite the opposite. The more I watch the more I like watching simpler and older series. Which weren't simple to produce at all.

Sep 18, 2019 3:05 PM
Dec 2016
I don't hate the anime movie adaptation of Koe no Katachi; it was actually a very good movie in its own right.

But I was very disappointed when they got rid of the film competition that was in the manga. I felt that it was a very important part of the manga that shouldn't have been overlooked.
Sep 18, 2019 3:26 PM

Sep 2019
the pokemon sun and moon anime is a dumpster fire for plenty of reasons, but i really don't think the art style change is one of them. i personally think its a lot more enjoyable to watch and gives more freedom to be expressive but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 18, 2019 3:36 PM
Jan 2018
This is hard, I tend to agree with Audiences when it comes to shows that are rated poorly. Its the shows that are rated highly I usually am ready to criticize. Shows like mongolian chop squad, your lie in april, noragami, and my hero academia are highly rated shows I'm very critical of.

But I guess if I had to pick something I would say that yuru yuri isnt just cute girls doing cute things. It has some really great writing in it and the jokes are done really well. Its actually a fantastic comedy that I think everyone who enjoys cute stuff should try to watch. Theres a sort of stigma where shows with no plot where the entire show is just a bunch of loosely connected jokes shouldnt get a higher rating than an 8. I think thats way off base. These shows achieved what they set out to do and thry shouldnt be denied a good score for succeeding.

Im talking about shows like asobi asobase, lucky star, yuru yuri and daily lives of high school boys.
Sharmat_00Sep 18, 2019 3:42 PM
He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy.

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.
Sep 18, 2019 3:41 PM
Jan 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
I guess, people, who say The Ancient Magus Bride feels kind of abusive, rapey and whatnotall... haven't seen more than the first half of the first episode? I even read somewhere (don't remember, if it was here or elsewhere) a comparison to fucking 50 Shades of Grey. Dafuq. DAFUQ.
Sincerely,

Omg YES! I cant stand this argument. I feel as though an author should be allowed to make whatever story they want regardless of how edgy or evil it comes off as. As long as its good we will watch it. Berserk is one of the darkest series ever created and guess what? Its the #1 rated manga on this site by a good margin. Magus bride is fantastic and even if it were far darker I would still love it. Elias isnt even abusive. Hes actually a really kind person.
He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy.

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.
Sep 18, 2019 3:44 PM

Oct 2010
petran79 said:
I find the ending of Hisone to Maso-san satisfying, though deeply I hoped it could have mixed more military and political conflicts with those flying dragons.

This is a big one and I agree. I'd raise the bar though and say that the ending was actually great and perfectly in tone. And yes I'm counting the epilogue. Heck, the epilogue in special.
Sep 18, 2019 4:12 PM

Apr 2017
Seiya said:
As someone who hates critics, I disagree with nearly all criticism.

There's nothing I hate more, than people who take good Anime, and try to find things that are wrong with it.

Totally agree with you, well for the most part, I believe some criticism is necessary and beneficial to the whole process but some people take it overboard and take things almost like it's a personal attack.
No anime ever made is going to be loved by all. Anyways I guess everyone deserves to be heard but not all things are meant to be said.

Sep 18, 2019 4:19 PM

Feb 2018
The amount of people who criticize Kivnaiver for being a melodrama is frankly disappointing. Like yeah, that's exactly what it is, that's not inheriently good or bad. It would be one thing if they were arguing it was a poor melodrama, but most of the time it often just boils down to, "the show isn't exactly about the things I want it to, therefore it bad."

I guess I could give the benefit of the doubt, and assume they mean that the melodramatic elements get in the way of other elements in the show, but even then in my opinion "a bunch of hormonal teenagers who are forced to feel each other's pain" is pretty much prime melodrama material. Even if I'm wrong, and they mean something else, they should probably put forth the effort to make their arguments actually clear and substantiated so I can't easily misinterpret them.

Same thing applies to the complaints that the main leads plans in Kaguya-sama are dump and nonsensical. It's clearly part of the premise, it being that way is not inheriently a problem so it's not a valid critism until you explain why it is a problem in that specific case.
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Sep 18, 2019 4:49 PM

Apr 2016
Anyone who thinks fairy tail is a good anime, like are you mental??? Those people need to be put in psyche ward for how mentally ill they are. the show is awful truly.
Sep 18, 2019 5:11 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
straggy said:
EcchiGodMamster said:

lol I mean that too, but you've got to admit that ecchi humour is usually stellar.

eh.. even as the biggest ecchi fag on this site, i have to admit the humor is hella repetitive LOL

not saying i don't laugh during some comic ecchi scenes, cause obv i do
Sep 18, 2019 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
Regarding the infamous island filler in Nadia...

While I don't like the character derailment, I found the goofy tone and exaggerated, cartoony animation and gags really fun and I probably would have loved it were it a different, separate show.
removed-userSep 18, 2019 5:20 PM
Sep 18, 2019 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
Sharmat_00 said:
Maneki-Mew said:
Sincerely,

Omg YES! I cant stand this argument. I feel as though an author should be allowed to make whatever story they want regardless of how edgy or evil it comes off as. As long as its good we will watch it. Berserk is one of the darkest series ever created and guess what? Its the #1 rated manga on this site by a good margin. Magus bride is fantastic and even if it were far darker I would still love it. Elias isnt even abusive. Hes actually a really kind person.

I mean, everyone is allowed to, but others could critize it and I normally hate glorified, abusive relationships.
But... that thing is innocent? So I thought the criticism, which came from many corners, is overdone, all over the place and especially misses the point of the series.

Half-OT:
Fun thing: At the beauty and the beast movie (the old, animated one and the new live action one) for example, many people called that "Stockholm Syndrome", which is absolutely nonsense. But people keep using psychological termina from Stockholm Syndrome to all of the others, because they sound sophisticated and maybe progressive for saying Bell suffers from any Stockholm Syndrome or another form of abuse.

I'm too lazy to explain why, so there is a video.
Short answer to that question in the title and a summary: No.

I dunno why (I mean, I do, still doesn't make sense), but it has been compared a lot, and for MahoYome, still... No. No, she doesn't.
Sep 18, 2019 5:46 PM

Jun 2015
im glad im not the only one who also enjoyed the first half of s;g !!

I AM THE ONE CALLED POWER!
ANIME LIST  🩸 MANGA LIST  🩸 CARDS  🩸 CHALLENGES 
How foolish and conceited these humans be... 

Sep 18, 2019 5:49 PM
Aug 2017
Code Geass was a really bad sequel, yeah it had some good moments and the ending was fucking amazing. But the damn plot about the world memory and parents was shit. Don't @ me but lelouch is fucking stupid except when it comes to battle strategies. R2 destroyed suzuya's already broken character and it felt all that shit happened coz they wanted to reach that ending. People just rate it hung because of the ending.
Sep 18, 2019 6:00 PM
Mar 2018
HeruruMeruru said:
Regarding the infamous island filler in Nadia...

While I don't like the character derailment, I found the goofy tone and exaggerated, cartoony animation and gags really fun and I probably would have loved it were it a different, separate show.

I do agree that the infamous island filler arc in Nadia would've been better if it were another show. And while I don't think the Nadia island filler is the worst thing ever like many will make it out to be. It very much a bad aspect that does drag the shows quality down (though not enough for me to give Nadia a lower score than what I gave it, which is 8/10)
Sep 18, 2019 6:04 PM
Aug 2017
[quote=Kurgo]People who describe opm2 to be worse in every possible way compared to s1 (more often than not with the critical acuity of a brain-damaged orangutan). So far as characters go, I found s2 to be miles ahead of the first, where everyone was pretty much a comic relief (or unfathomably predictable and boring, hi mumen rider). Not that there's anything wrong with that either (I do like s1 quite a lot more than s2) but having compelling characters is prefereable in my view.

I get what you are saying. S2 is definitely better than s1 in terms of the characters and plot. But most people we really hate the s2 are manga readers who already know the plot and characters, who watch the anime for the value of the adaptation, in which case s2 was horrible. The designs were off, fight scenes inconsistent, weird cg. It didn't even came close to the art work of murata. But the biggest blow to s2 was the direction,the director of s1(can't remember the name) was fucking genius.
Sep 18, 2019 6:08 PM

Jun 2017
Iskandar87 said:

Many people criticize Toradora because of having a violent tsundere as the protagonist and, while I agree that she can be annoying at times, the anime itself has a really interesting plot and character development.

i really do think it's just a matter of personal preference at that point
some people like it
some people don't like it
Sep 18, 2019 6:32 PM

Aug 2016
inim said:

The problem with School Days is that the characters are never really explored well enough to make their moronic decisions at least understandable, even if I disagree with them. They just shift personalities whenever the plot needs them to do something unpredictable and act that way just for the sake of shock value, which is what makes people mad at them and is, quite frankly, poor writing.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 18, 2019 6:52 PM

Apr 2019
Ryu1908 said:
inim said:

The problem with School Days is that the characters are never really explored well enough to make their moronic decisions at least understandable, even if I disagree with them. They just shift personalities whenever the plot needs them to do something unpredictable and act that way just for the sake of shock value, which is what makes people mad at them and is, quite frankly, poor writing.
Sure, School Days is not a really good anime, and I totally see the writing problems. But it certainly isn't a 1/10 like many rate it either. It's an attempt to deconstruct the harem genre with mixed results. And some form of dark comedy / parody as well. It's far from perfect executing these ideas, fully ACk. I gave it a 5/10, because it basically aimed pretty high and failed. But the result is average, not complete shit.

Sep 18, 2019 7:18 PM

Aug 2016
inim said:
Ryu1908 said:

Sure, School Days is not a really good anime, and I totally see the writing problems. But it certainly isn't a 1/10 like many rate it either. It's an attempt to deconstruct the harem genre with mixed results. And some form of dark comedy / parody as well. It's far from perfect executing these ideas, fully ACk. I gave it a 5/10, because it basically aimed pretty high and failed. But the result is average, not complete shit.

Oh, I agree, it's not the "worst anime of all time" to me either, although I rated it a 3/10. I mean, I appreciate the attempt at doing something different with overdone stuff like romance and harem, but it needed a more talented writer who could pull that off and make the story as realistic as it attempted to be.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 18, 2019 8:31 PM

Oct 2017
Ergo Proxy is pretentious.

That's a matter of perspective and interpretation. Many people enjoy EP for the atmosphere, the art, the direction, and the sound design which are all very high quality. The weird, seemingly-convoluted, vague story shouldn't be overanalyzed. Just relax and soak in the mysterious tone and dark atmosphere, and you might enjoy EP.

Steins;Gate is boring for the first half

No for all the reasons others have given in this thread.

Yuri is bad because it is appealing to straight people getting off on lesbian relationships

And? That's like saying shounen action is bad for appealing to people who like fight scenes. It has a target audience with set tastes, so what? Doesn't mean it can't have excellent writing and production values and overall be a great anime.

People act like you can't find lesbian relationships sexually titillating unless you are a lesbian. I'm sorry, that's the same bullshit logic that says you can't listen to rap music if you're not black, or wear a poncho if you're not mexican.

Then they say "oh well it reduces lesbian relationships to just a fetish". Also nonsense. Same logic that says fan service reduces girls to sex objets because it only focuses on their physical beauty.

Like, I, as an English person, should get mad if an anime shows the English countryside in a positive light, because it is ignoring other things which are beautiful about my country (I'm struggling to think of any other things, but they probably exist). Like that "reduces" England to just a nature documentary.

Why do we have to show every single side of something, or else we are "reducing" it in some way. Pure, unadulterated nonsense.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 18, 2019 8:45 PM

Mar 2019
YossaRedMage said:

That's a matter of perspective and interpretation. Many people enjoy EP for the atmosphere, the art, the direction, and the sound design which are all very high quality. The weird, seemingly-convoluted, vague story shouldn't be overanalyzed. Just relax and soak in the mysterious tone and dark atmosphere, and you might enjoy EP.

Yuri is bad because it is appealing to straight people getting off on lesbian relationships

And? That's like saying shounen action is bad for appealing to people who like fight scenes. It has a target audience with set tastes, so what? Doesn't mean it can't have excellent writing and production values and overall be a great anime.

People act like you can't find lesbian relationships sexually titillating unless you are a lesbian. I'm sorry, that's the same bullshit logic that says you can't listen to rap music if you're not black, or wear a poncho if you're not mexican.

Then they say "oh well it reduces lesbian relationships to just a fetish". Also nonsense. Same logic that says fan service reduces girls to sex objets because it only focuses on their physical beauty.

Like, I, as an English person, should get mad if an anime shows the English countryside in a positive light, because it is ignoring other things which are beautiful about my country (I'm struggling to think of any other things, but they probably exist). Like that "reduces" England to just a nature documentary.

Why do we have to show every single side of something, or else we are "reducing" it in some way. Pure, unadulterated nonsense.
The majority of yuri readers is female anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_(genre)#Demographics

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Sep 18, 2019 8:48 PM

Oct 2017
Sphinxter said:
YossaRedMage said:

Not super surprised. You'll notice I avoided gendering the people who are in to Yuri romance in my comment. That was on purpose ;)
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 18, 2019 8:55 PM

Jan 2016
I've seen a lot of people criticizing stuff like Ergo Proxy, Harmony, etc for being "boring". Like yeah, the pacing is slow, but that's an intentional element of the story. You don't need constant action to make an enjoyable show.
Sep 18, 2019 9:32 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
The CGI in Ajin is bad.

I mean, I'll admit, it's not... great, but it's never been bad enough to really take away from the experience, at least from my experience.

Deadman Wonderland is edgy.

Well, it is certainly dark, and there are parts that come across as forced, but to me, it feels genuinely dark, not just edge for the sake of there being edge.

Occultic;Nine is bad.

Tbh, I don't remember anyone giving a valid criticism of this show other than that one chick's bewbs (which, let's be honest, were pretty ridiculous). The show has one of my favorite plot twists, and maybe some people could have seen it coming, but I sure didn't.
OfDeathandLoveDec 21, 2019 11:37 AM

Sep 18, 2019 9:34 PM
Jul 2018
@OfDeathandLove

About time you showed up! By the way what do you think of my new profile and avatar pic? It's been years since I last watched Deadman Wonderland. Like, I think the last time I watched it was when I was...12? I remember Deadman Wonderland being very dark, but not shoving it in your face dark.
Sep 18, 2019 9:38 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
@AbsurdistOtaku At first, I didn't recognize you from your avatar until I looked at your username, heh. They seem fine; I like your profile pic.

And yeah, that's how I've always felt. Like, it's super dark, but the characters react appropriately to the very sucky situation that they've been put in.

Sep 18, 2019 10:27 PM
Apr 2016

YossaRedMage said:
Sphinxter said:

Not super surprised. You'll notice I avoided gendering the people who are in to Yuri romance in my comment. That was on purpose ;)

I highly doubt most female GL readers are straight.
Sep 19, 2019 5:27 AM

Jun 2019
Naruto Shippuden falling off in the War arc

I honestly don't think it does. I liked seperating the battlefields and giving each of them a unique feel, as well as seeing some familiar faces again. Yes, the VERY end is a little odd, but that doesn't drag the whole arc down IMO.

Honestly, I don't see nearly as much of a quality difference between the OG Naruto series and Shippuden. Just make sure you skip the filler and you're golden.

Sep 19, 2019 5:47 AM

Oct 2017
Tsukizono said:

YossaRedMage said:

I think you'd be surprised. The thing about girls being more naturally bisexual isn't some myth concoted from male fantasies as some people would have us believe.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 19, 2019 6:07 AM

Mar 2014
AbsurdistOtaku said:
For example, a majority of people agree that the 1st half of Steins; Gate was very uninteresting, especially the first episode. I completely disagree with this opinion; when I tried watching Steins; Gate as an adult again, I found the first episode to be a great hook, and the 1st half to be really interesting.
I never understood this either, it has one of the best first episodes and the first half is amazing, incredible character interactions and it's so much fun to just watch them, I'd be happy if the whole show had a similar tone, but I guess people prefer the thriller part of it more.
Sep 19, 2019 6:17 AM

Apr 2019
YossaRedMage said:
Tsukizono said:

I think you'd be surprised. The thing about girls being more naturally bisexual isn't some myth concoted from male fantasies as some people would have us believe.
You surely got some falsificable source for this groundbreaking insight, do you?

Sep 19, 2019 6:26 AM

Apr 2019
Not the anime, but Usagi Drop manga ending. I thought it was fine. Sure, the part till Rin is still a child, and even some of the kouki-rin story was more interesting, but the transition to its ending, as the mangaka chose to do it, was also natural and didn't feel abhorrent at all, like it does to most "Occidentals"
Sep 19, 2019 7:23 AM
Jul 2018
Vazka said:
wtf OP? Obviously you thought the beginning of Steins Gate was a good hook and interesting if it's a rewatch. You already know what's going to happen, and you aren't confused about anything, so obviously you'd enjoy it more. Same thing with what you said about Fate Zero.

The first time I watched Steins; Gate was when I was a kid. Probably 12? I dropped it after like, 2 episodes. The second time I watched Steins; Gate was when I was much older, probably 17.
I don't understand why you'd need to know what's going to happen to enjoy the 1st ep of Fate/Zero.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 20 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
5 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

37 by Shirayukin »»
12 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
19 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 23 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.