Forum Settings
Forums

Anime where the tone (badly) contrasts with the art style

New
Aug 30, 2019 3:42 PM
Jul 2018
The only example I can think of right now is Re: Zero: for an extremely dark series, it has a ridiculously light-hearted art style. Which I think would be fine, if this was used for some kind of effect, like Higurashi. Except it's not; the art style is the way it is purely to serve as a marketing tool, rather than to serve the story.

Before someone says it, no, I didn't make this thread with the intention of shitting on Re: Zero.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 30, 2019 3:46 PM
May 2019
Madoka Magica comes to mind. It has a very moe art style for such a dark series.
Aug 30, 2019 3:58 PM

Oct 2016
Right now I can only think of Akame ga Kill! and Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku.
Aug 30, 2019 4:00 PM

Oct 2008
1.Made in abyss - I think is a good example
2.Girls' Last Tour - is a better example
3.Gakkougurashi! - "Highschool of the Dead" looked the part much more.
Aug 30, 2019 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
Nevermind, I'm a dumbass who can't read.
removed-userSep 2, 2019 2:51 AM
Aug 30, 2019 4:10 PM

Sep 2017
HeruruMeruru said:
Made in Abyss is the first thing that comes to mind for me.
zieek said:
I haven't read/watched Made in Abyss, so correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the art style a stylistic choice by the creator?
Aug 30, 2019 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
Gytanzo said:
HeruruMeruru said:
Made in Abyss is the first thing that comes to mind for me.
zieek said:
I haven't read/watched Made in Abyss, so correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the art style a stylistic choice by the creator?

...I'm an idiot that didn't read the first post, lmao. It is indeed used for an effect, which is indeed what Made in Abyss was going for and not what OP asked for.
removed-userAug 30, 2019 4:33 PM
Aug 30, 2019 4:15 PM

Apr 2018
Shiki is the best example i can think of.
For such a dark, mature story and themes, the art style is oddly reminiscent of a typical shounen anime aesthetic. Full of weird, big-eyed, colorful, angular character designs, complete with outrageous hairstyles that look like they were ripped straight out of Yu-Gi-Oh! characters.
It really clashes with the often somber tone and atmosphere of the show, making it somewhat hard to take seriously.

That said, i did enjoy the anime quite a lot and the art style did eventually grow on me as it went on. I've at least come to accept that, visually speaking, it's quite...unique.
Stygian_PrisonerAug 30, 2019 5:07 PM
Aug 30, 2019 4:19 PM
Jul 2018
Don't let kids watch this anime under any circumstances
Aug 30, 2019 4:20 PM

May 2014
@Stygian_Prisoner
+1 to Shiki.

I love the designs of some of the characters and think they actually work really well, but then you get ones like these that just ruin everything.

I'm trying to immerse myself in the horror, but these goofy looking characters come along and ruin it.
Aug 30, 2019 4:35 PM

Apr 2017
petran79 said:
Don't let kids watch this anime under any circumstances

Shadow Star: Narutaru :) love it, although the manga is way better.

Aug 30, 2019 5:25 PM

Sep 2014
You want to check out Shafts works.

Also Made in Abyss and Higurashi.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 30, 2019 5:33 PM

Sep 2018
Akame ga Kill! takes the cake for me. It's art-style is that of your typical anime or shounen, but the content in it is much darker than the art-style suggests. Also doesn't work when they have a shot at visual comedy, yeah sorry it just doesn't work with the tone.
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Aug 30, 2019 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
HeruruMeruru said:
Gytanzo said:

...I'm an idiot that didn't read the first post, lmao. It is indeed used for an effect, which is indeed what Made in Abyss was going for and not what OP asked for.

I mean, there's a reason why I specified in the title, "anime where the tone (badly) clashes with the artstyle"

Mythologically said:
wait so is a deconstruction of the isekai genre not supposed to look like a generic isekai? i'm confused

1) Re: Zero isn't a deconstruction. I'm not sure how it's even a subversion.
2) Even if it was a deconstruction, I don't know how that excuses the tonal clash between the art style vs the general tone.
Aug 30, 2019 5:53 PM
Jan 2012
I don't know what the general consensus is, and this might not even be fair because I've only seen the first two or three episodes, but for me, Fire Force. Because of the similar staff it's basically a watered down SHAFT anime, but with a lot of downtime, which isn't really ideal for a Shounen that isn't reliant on lengthy dialogue sequences. The 20%-30% of the show that's supposed to look good definitely looks amazing, but then the rest of it just does not feel like it's on the same wavelength as the source material and it feels like someone took a piece of work and redid it in their own style without permission.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but it's the first thing I personally thought of when I read the title.
Aug 30, 2019 6:18 PM
Feb 2016
Mawaru Penguindrum for me. It wants to go to Uber dark lengths but the art style is this incredible mix of pastel colors, which works wonders for comedy but can’t pull off drama without looking silly. Kanata no Astra as well.
Aug 30, 2019 6:30 PM

Jan 2016
zieek said:

Honestly, while I agree that the artstyle clashes, in all those cases that's kinda the point. It's not an "oops, artstyle didn't work", it's a deliberate choice for the mood the shows are going for.

Made in Abyss - Childish naivete clashing with an unforgiving world
Girls' Last Tour - Optimism in the face of a hopeless world
Gakkougurashi - Innocent ignorance to cope with traumatic events

Maybe Gakkougurashi I can kinda see since the artstyle feels more picked for the bait and switch as opposed to the tone afterwards, but I don't think they're badly clashing, just clashing.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Aug 30, 2019 6:35 PM

Oct 2013
lol Rezero and Madoka Magica being called dark
Aug 30, 2019 6:37 PM

Dec 2016
Hunter x Hunter 2011. It wanted to be a seinen-ish shounen yet the use of shiny colors and some very cartoonish, laughable character designs was not aligned with that goal, especially during the York and Ants arc.
Aug 30, 2019 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
Mythologically said:
HopefulNihilist said:

2) Even if it was a deconstruction, I don't know how that excuses the tonal clash between the art style vs the general tone.

1) Haikyuu isn't a shounen. I'm not sure how it's even a sports anime.

See how meaningless that is? Lo and behold, when you go to the TV Tropes page for Genre Deconstruction, there you shall find Re:Zero.

The "tonal clash" is the whole point of Re:Zero's deconstruction. It looks like a normal isekai, and also is one about 70% of the time, but occasionally turns into a psychological thriller due to the deconstructive elements (Subaru's OP power bringing him psychological torture, his
, etc). You're pretending the "general tone" of the show is dark when a large part of the show is literally SoL.

Also, let's not ignore that the whole episode 1 tone change/plot twist wouldn't whatsoever work without the light art style.

No, I don't see how my statement is pointless.
TV tropes doesn't seem very reliable when it comes to defining what a "deconstruction" is. I can't find a professional source online that defines what a deconstruction is.
70% of the time? I recall Re: Zero largely focusing on the darker elements. In the 3rd arc, eps 15-17 were pure dark.
How does psychological torture = deconstruction? I think you're mixing deconstruction with being unique, which Re: Zero is, I'll give it credit there.
Ep 1 gets into the dark parts very early on.
I feel as though your justification for Re: Zero's tonal clashing art style is weak, because to my knowledge, I don't think a deconstruction needs to look like a typical anime of its genre it's trying to deconstruct, to be a deconstruction.

MaskOfIce said:
zieek said:

Honestly, while I agree that the artstyle clashes, in all those cases that's kinda the point. It's not an "oops, artstyle didn't work", it's a deliberate choice for the mood the shows are going for.

Made in Abyss - Childish naivete clashing with an unforgiving world
Girls' Last Tour - Optimism in the face of a hopeless world
Gakkougurashi - Innocent ignorance to cope with traumatic events

Maybe Gakkougurashi I can kinda see since the artstyle feels more picked for the bait and switch as opposed to the tone afterwards, but I don't think they're badly clashing, just clashing.

I agree, especially in the case of Made in Abyss.
Aug 30, 2019 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
Mythologically said:
HopefulNihilist said:

No, I don't see how my statement is pointless.
TV tropes doesn't seem very reliable when it comes to defining what a "deconstruction" is. I can't find a professional source online that defines what a deconstruction is.
70% of the time? I recall Re: Zero largely focusing on the darker elements. In the 3rd arc, eps 15-17 were pure dark.
How does psychological torture = deconstruction? I think you're mixing deconstruction with being unique, which Re: Zero is, I'll give it credit there.
Ep 1 gets into the dark parts very early on.
I feel as though your justification for Re: Zero's tonal clashing art style is weak, because to my knowledge, I don't think a deconstruction needs to look like a typical anime of its genre it's trying to deconstruct, to be a deconstruction

So now we've gone from "Re:Zero is not a deconstruction" to "I can't find a professional source online that defines what a deconstruction is". So are you saying Re:Zero is not a deconstruction, or are you saying that "deconstruction" is a meaningless term? You can't have both; you're contradicting yourself here. Hm.

Calling TV Tropes unreliable is pretty much the same as calling a dictionary unreliable lmao. A deconstruction, when referring to anime, is a show that takes common anime tropes and shows how flawed they are when viewed under a lense of realism. That's what makes Madoka a deconstruction; middle school girls fighting monsters is dumb. That's also what makes NGE a deconstruction; piloting a giant mech when you're a teenager kinda mentally scars you. In the same vein of thought, Re:Zero is a deconstruction of isekai tropes. A loser NEET is summoned into a fantasy world, and things go wrong because he is still a loser NEET and doesn't magically turn into some OP harem protagonist. That's why Subaru's "OP protagonist ability", instead of making his life great, psychologically tortures him. It's a much more realistic interpretation of a common isekai trope.

And you recall incorrectly. Nearly all of the mansion + election arcs is SoL, and even a lot of the dark arcs, like the Petelgeuse arc and the first arc, have plenty of light moments. Also, no it doesn't? There's literally like half an hour of Subaru walking around happy-go-lucky in his newly discovered fantasy world before all of that stuff happens.

You also seem to literally have ignored everything I wrote about what the purpose of Re:Zero is. Re:Zero is a light show with dark moments. That's why the art style is light.

Alright, I just checked: tv tropes seems to be reliable, so I'l take you word: Re: Zero is a deconstruction.
I think Re: Zero's dark moments are way too dark for the show overall to be considered light-hearted. I mean, the shit that happens in this show is extremely dark: limbs get cut off, Subaru gets killed a lot. Basically, the weight of the dark elements far outweighs the light hearted stuff, so the show to me is really dark.
No, I didn't ignore what you wrote about the purpose of Re: Zero, I acknowledged it in my reply.
I could go on, but this the internet, where literally almost nobody is willing to agree, so I'll just say I agree to some extent on your opinion of Re: Zero.
Aug 30, 2019 8:58 PM

Nov 2016
HopefulNihilist said:
Mythologically said:

So now we've gone from "Re:Zero is not a deconstruction" to "I can't find a professional source online that defines what a deconstruction is". So are you saying Re:Zero is not a deconstruction, or are you saying that "deconstruction" is a meaningless term? You can't have both; you're contradicting yourself here. Hm.

Calling TV Tropes unreliable is pretty much the same as calling a dictionary unreliable lmao. A deconstruction, when referring to anime, is a show that takes common anime tropes and shows how flawed they are when viewed under a lense of realism. That's what makes Madoka a deconstruction; middle school girls fighting monsters is dumb. That's also what makes NGE a deconstruction; piloting a giant mech when you're a teenager kinda mentally scars you. In the same vein of thought, Re:Zero is a deconstruction of isekai tropes. A loser NEET is summoned into a fantasy world, and things go wrong because he is still a loser NEET and doesn't magically turn into some OP harem protagonist. That's why Subaru's "OP protagonist ability", instead of making his life great, psychologically tortures him. It's a much more realistic interpretation of a common isekai trope.

And you recall incorrectly. Nearly all of the mansion + election arcs is SoL, and even a lot of the dark arcs, like the Petelgeuse arc and the first arc, have plenty of light moments. Also, no it doesn't? There's literally like half an hour of Subaru walking around happy-go-lucky in his newly discovered fantasy world before all of that stuff happens.

You also seem to literally have ignored everything I wrote about what the purpose of Re:Zero is. Re:Zero is a light show with dark moments. That's why the art style is light.

Alright, I just checked: tv tropes seems to be reliable, so I'l take you word: Re: Zero is a deconstruction.
I think Re: Zero's dark moments are way too dark for the show overall to be considered light-hearted. I mean, the shit that happens in this show is extremely dark: limbs get cut off, Subaru gets killed a lot. Basically, the weight of the dark elements far outweighs the light hearted stuff, so the show to me is really dark.
No, I didn't ignore what you wrote about the purpose of Re: Zero, I acknowledged it in my reply.
I could go on, but this the internet, where literally almost nobody is willing to agree, so I'll just say I agree to some extent on your opinion of Re: Zero.
Personally I think it balances out. The dark parts of Re;Zero might've be very fucked up but when the show gets calm, it gets calm for a good while before the "plot" (If suffering counts a Plot) kicks into gear Again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2019 9:17 PM

Jun 2015
Most of the times when art style contrasts with tone of a series you can sort of see that it is like that by design, that it serves a purpose (Madoka Magika and Higurashi for easy examples). I cannot say that about Flip Flappers.

It really seems like the art and the story were done by two different people, neither of whom had any idea what the other was doing (especially on the second half of the show). The result is a show with an identity crisis, that ends up looking like a knock-off Madoka Magica or FLCL. In my opinion, if it had gone the whimsical route all the way, like Punch Line or Kill la Kill (both of which I love), it would've been much better.
Aug 30, 2019 9:49 PM

Jun 2015
Mythologically said:
HopefulNihilist said:

1) Haikyuu isn't a shounen. I'm not sure how it's even a sports anime.

See how meaningless that is? Lo and behold, when you go to the TV Tropes page for Genre Deconstruction, there you shall find Re:Zero.

The "tonal clash" is the whole point of Re:Zero's deconstruction. It looks like a normal isekai, and also is one about 70% of the time, but occasionally turns into a psychological thriller due to the deconstructive elements (Subaru's OP power bringing him psychological torture, his
, etc). You're pretending the "general tone" of the show is dark when a large part of the show is literally SoL.

Also, let's not ignore that the whole episode 1 tone change/plot twist wouldn't whatsoever work without the light art style.
I already thought TVtropes was a terrible site (their everything is a trope approach in order to dissect a series is questionable to say the least), but that deconstruction page is a joke. They're capable of making a ''genre'' out of every buzzword around I guess.
Aug 31, 2019 1:56 AM

Jun 2016
Hunter x Hunter 2011. What Ferien said
Aug 31, 2019 3:28 AM

Nov 2017
2015 Arslan Senki had a pretty typical shounen art style, with exagerrated features, outlandish attires and ridiculous weapons as well as rather generic backgrounds and muted colors, which didn't really fit the grounded low fantasy setting or the epic adventure story all that well in my opinion.
Aug 31, 2019 5:01 AM

Oct 2008
[quote=Gytanzo message=58285847]
HeruruMeruru said:

Yes it was and the tone (badly) contrasts with the art style, in my humble opinion.

Aug 31, 2019 5:47 AM

Sep 2017
Madoka Magica and Made in Abyss for sure

Hunter x Hunter 2011 is also misleading in the beginning, during the Hunter Exam Arc
(but Hisoka's character is already a warning of what will happen later)
Aug 31, 2019 6:18 AM

May 2013
Shiki is the pretty much the top contender here which fits the bill.

In case of Re-zero and Higurashi (as well as the others mentioned), the art styles were all intentional and don't (badly) contrast.

The original Higurashi's absolutely childish art is a misdirection, suggesting goofy idyllic fun-frolicking times marred by the same people turning ghastly due to irrational fear. The original VN's art style describes this the most which the anime tries to copy. On a side note, the newer steam release completely gets rid of it and paints much more polished art, since a lot of people or fans found the earlier contrast to be too extreme and/or ugly.

Re-zero's prettied up, fantasy themed art design gives the vibe of fun-filled stereotypical isekai experience that turns out to be completely the opposite.

In case of Shiki, I can't think of anything yet. It was just an oddity that just stayed as a contrast and didn't visibly support any idea/purpose/theme. Didn't detract from the viewing experience though, but pretty much the first thing that pops to mind are those character designs.
KreatorXAug 31, 2019 6:22 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 31, 2019 6:18 AM

Mar 2015
Stygian_Prisoner said:
For such a dark, mature story and themes, the art style is oddly reminiscent of a typical shounen anime aesthetic. Full of weird, big-eyed, colorful, angular character designs, complete with outrageous hairstyles that look like they were ripped straight out of Yu-Gi-Oh! characters.
It really clashes with the often somber tone and atmosphere of the show, making it somewhat hard to take seriously.

That said, i did enjoy the anime quite a lot and the art style did eventually grow on me as it went on. I've at least come to accept that, visually speaking, it's quite...unique.

Fully agree with this. I absolutely adore Shiki, but dear god are some of those character designs hideous. Then again they were the reason I started watching it so I guess I can't fully hate them :D
Aug 31, 2019 6:27 AM

Jun 2019
Stygian_Prisoner said:

I feel like I'm the only one who actually liked the art design in Shiki since it seems to receive almost universally negative feedback and even from people who rate the series highly it's cited as a detracting point.

Personally I feel an art style that strove for more realism would have been fine, but duller. It was a village surrounded by death, drowning in death, and whose very industry and lifeblood was made off of death. So it has a grim and somber tone. The art style being more showy and colorful gave it an otherworldly feel that made something always feel off (the Yu-Gi-Oh hairstyles you mention mixed with horror) and actually more realistic because it wasn't something usually done, so it didn't feel like a copy or imitation of any other work. Made the events feel more real and not just based off a Stephen King, Anne Rice, or Twilight-style vampire novel. Vampire fiction is a subgenre that has to already conform to some basic tropes and guidelines so it needs fresh air and experimentation pumped into it. Otherwise you might as well just watch all the vampire stories that came before and they'd likely be the same, done better.
WatchTillTandavaAug 31, 2019 6:31 AM
Aug 31, 2019 6:30 AM

Apr 2017
Now and Then, Here and Now
A cartoon where cute little kids kill each other for limited resources.
One of my favorite Isekai(before it became a bad word)

Aug 31, 2019 7:51 AM
Jul 2018
@Afloo
@KreatorX
@Mythologically

I absolutely disagree with Higurashi's art style existing to serve as a, "misdirection": because right from the very first scene, you know shit's gonna happen. And after things get dark, you know things will get dark again when the next arc starts. So what's the purpose of the cute art style? Well, aside from marketing purposes, my interpretation, is that it exists to, like Made in Abyss, show the characters' innocent side.

For Re: Zero, I think this show's art style needed a balance between looking not too light-hearted, but not too dark either.
Aug 31, 2019 8:05 AM

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
@Afloo
@KreatorX
@Mythologically

I absolutely disagree with Higurashi's art style existing to serve as a, "misdirection": because right from the very first scene, you know shit's gonna happen. And after things get dark, you know things will get dark again when the next arc starts. So what's the purpose of the cute art style? Well, aside from marketing purposes, my interpretation, is that it exists to, like Made in Abyss, show the characters' innocent side.

For Re: Zero, I think this show's art style needed a balance between looking not too light-hearted, but not too dark either.

Don't just disagree for the sake of disagreeing, I didn't imply it that way (i.e. we have no idea what to expect). If anyone bought the original VN and/or saw the promo VN/anime material, that's how it is. Once you start watching the show (or play the game), the purpose of that stark contrast was just for that thematic reason and like you said, innocent side 'but not really'. Makes you wonder why things have such a contrast when you get invested into the idyllic banter and actions of the characters. I've found myself briefly forgetting about the crazy stuff the characters can do while I was getting invested. Definitely try the original game if you are in the mood for some Higurashi, it adds in a lot more minor details (along with that rather round and cartoonish art).

Similar marketing reasons aside, as for Re: Zero, it perhaps could use some balance but it maintains a similar level of contrast Higurashi brought, just that the contrast in Higurashi was higher. In neither of the shows did the contrast directly detract from the experience when all of it was intentional and that they put forth similar kinds of themes.

Re: zero is an isekai fantasy and stereotype wise they made it appear to carry the same level of bright/fantasy themed colour palette, characters are exaggerated to look pretty, all of which one can frequently see in JRPG games. This feeds back into the idea of isekai experience being that 'escape'. Fantasy themed video games (take any JRPG, because Japan) can also be played due to reasons concerning 'escape'. The only twist is that the 'escape' isn't worth the time and the contrast in the show builds that. Just putting two and two together here.
KreatorXAug 31, 2019 8:56 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 31, 2019 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
KreatorX said:
HopefulNihilist said:
@Afloo
@KreatorX
@Mythologically

Don't just disagree for the sake of disagreeing, I didn't imply it that way (i.e. we have no idea what to expect). If anyone bought the original VN and/or saw the promo VN/anime material, that's how it is. Once you start watching the show (or play the game), the purpose of that stark contrast was just for that thematic reason and like you said, innocent side 'but not really'. Makes you wonder why things have such a contrast when you get invested into the idyllic banter and actions of the characters. I've found myself briefly forgetting about the crazy stuff the characters can do while I was getting invested. Definitely try the original game if you are in the mood for some Higurashi, it adds in a lot more minor details (along with that rather round and cartoonish art).

Similar marketing reasons aside, as for Re: Zero, it perhaps could use some balance but it maintains a similar level of contrast Higurashi brought, just that the contrast in Higurashi was higher. In neither of the shows did the contrast directly detract from the experience when all of it was intentional and that they put forth similar kinds of themes.

Re: zero is an isekai fantasy and stereotype wise they made it appear to carry the same level of bright/fantasy themed colour palette, characters are exaggerated to look pretty, all of which one can frequently see in JRPG games. This feeds back into the idea of isekai experience being that 'escape'. Fantasy themed video games (take any JRPG, because Japan) can also be played due to reasons concerning 'escape'. The only twist is that the 'escape' isn't worth the time and the contrast in the show builds that. Just putting two and two together here.

Why do you think I'm disagreeing for the sake of it?

There is some value in marketing an anime as one thing, then subverting the viewer's expectations. However, once the initial shock is gone, you're usually left with an anime that distractedly contrasts between its tone and art style. In other words, I don't understand how this strategy is a good idea in the long run of the anime.

I'm going to disagree with Higurashi having more contrast in its art style. Aside from the characters' colorful hair and big eyes, the anime has a very muted color scheme, unlike Re: Zero where everything is much brighter.

Okay, I think I can go with that to an extent: Re: Zero having a colorful art style to reflect typical escapist jrpgs, only for it to subvert those expectations, by showing how hellish the protagonist's life becomes. But again, I feel as though this draws back to what I said earlier: how this is a good idea in the short run, but not one in the long run, because it becomes distracting, once we, the viewers, are aware Re: Zero is not a typical escapist fantasy.

I think this is what should've happened: Re: Zero begins starts off with everything being all happy and colorful (no death scenes yet), but once shit happens, Subaru realizes that his new life isn't so great, and so the art style changes to reflect this: more grimdark, but NOT Texhonlyze-dark.
Aug 31, 2019 10:27 AM

Jul 2014
That's totally Asobi Asobase & Nichijou.
Aug 31, 2019 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
Mythologically said:
HopefulNihilist said:
Okay, I think I can go with that to an extent: Re: Zero having a colorful art style to reflect typical escapist jrpgs, only for it to subvert those expectations, by showing how hellish the protagonist's life becomes. But again, I feel as though this draws back to what I said earlier: how this is a good idea in the short run, but not one in the long run, because it becomes distracting, once we, the viewers, are aware Re: Zero is not a typical escapist fantasy.

I think this is what should've happened: Re: Zero begins starts off with everything being all happy and colorful (no death scenes yet), but once shit happens, Subaru realizes that his new life isn't so great, and so the art style changes to reflect this: more grimdark, but NOT Texhonlyze-dark.

So why aren't you ripping into NGE, Madoka, Now and Then, Here and There, Utena, and literally every other deconstruction ever? I'm confused as to why you're singling Re:Zero out. Literally all of them keep the light art styles of the genres they are deconstructing.

NGE doesn't look that light-hearted. It's not THAT dark of an anime except for specific scenes.
Madoka has an extremely dark color palette. The girls' large eyes and colorful hair simply exist to show their innocence.
Now and Then, Here and There, Utena, I haven't seen.
I did a bit more research, and tv tropes isn't seen as a very professional source, so I take back me agreeing with you that Re: Zero is a deconstruction:

https://lifehacker.com/use-the-tv-tropes-site-the-same-way-you-would-wikipedia-1822930619
"Remember, this is a casual entertainment site, not an encyclopedia, so don’t trust it as an authoritative source."
"But do use it when Wikipedia feels impenetrable, when you want opinions more than facts,"

I've found several sources online that also say not to rely on TV Tropes.

Until I can find a professional source that explains what a deconstruction is, I cannot confirm that Re: Zero, or even the anime you listed, are deconstructions.
Aug 31, 2019 10:37 AM

Dec 2015
I actually have a problem with most of the darker modern anime in this regard. Their artstyles really don't convey the horror well even with the muted color schemes. Take a look at Another for example. It's been a couple of years since I've seen it but I do remember it was a pretty dark anime. What I also remember is the roundness of the characters not really working in favor of the story. Modern anime artstyles fit much better in a lighter tone and Another's artstyle looks like it would be a much better fit for Anohana.

Yuya-Noboru said:

Nichijou? That artstyle fits it like a glove.

HopefulNihilist said:
NGE doesn't look that light-hearted. It's not THAT dark of an anime except for specific scenes.

I really don't see how NGE isn't very dark. Back when I watched it I felt like it was crushing and the themes as well as the execution are very dark. I agree that it doesn't look like a light-hearted anime though.
holysauronAug 31, 2019 10:46 AM
Aug 31, 2019 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
Sakurada Reset definitely, it's easy to notice how scene planning and animation don't really complement each other, seems to me that this anime could benefit from a more bleak-looking, melancholic artstyle like the one from shigofumi or kurenai, character design was ok, problem is how certain scenes didn't have the impact the author meant, the "weight" of the scene if you can call it that, because eveything was so bright and colorful 90% of the time, matter of fact, the only time I remember a scene having a different mood based on the light focus was the last part with Haruki vs Soma, rest of the time they didn't use illumination to heighten or set the mood of the scene.
Aug 31, 2019 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
Mythologically said:
I have to say, this must be the single funniest post I have seen in my three years of using this site. Good on you. Let me leave you off with some bullet points, because this must be just the most mind-bogglingly stupid response you could've possibly written.

I have to say: you have upset and dissapointed me: I am upset that me disagreeing with you on a Japanese cartoon was enough to get you angry, and I am dissapointed in your condescending tone towards me that you wouldn't have dare used if we were talking in real life.
I expect this kind of confrontational behavior from the hip hop community, but the anime community? Disappointing.
Or maybe I've been living under a rock for the past 2 years I've been on MAL.

Mythologically said:
1. "Deconstruction" is a term that is applied to shows that take tropes from their genre and use them with a realistic approach, often resulting in darker themes. If you disagree with that being the definition of "deconstruction", let's say that that is the definition of the word "ddjkhlbfjksadfjehwd". Whether that is the definition of "deconstruction" or "ddjkhlbfjksadfjehwd" doesn't matter whatsoever.

Unless somebody cites a professional source that explains what a deconstruction is, I can't take your definition seriously. Period.

I won't even bother debating with you on your other points: not because I am not confident, but because you would only resort to more condescending behavior. I only debate with people who are polite and behave in a non-confrontational way towards me.
It's a shame, because you make interesting points.
Have a good day.

holysauron said:
I actually have a problem with most of the darker modern anime in this regard. Their artstyles really don't convey the horror well even with the muted color schemes. Take a look at Another for example. It's been a couple of years since I've seen it but I do remember it was a pretty dark anime. What I also remember is the roundness of the characters not really working in favor of the story. Modern anime artstyles fit much better in a lighter tone and Another's artstyle looks like it would be a much better fit for Anohana.

Yuya-Noboru said:

Nichijou? That artstyle fits it like a glove.

HopefulNihilist said:

I really don't see how NGE isn't very dark. Back when I watched it I felt like it was crushing and the themes as well as the execution are very dark. I agree that it doesn't look like a light-hearted anime though.

It's been a while since I've last watched NGE, so I don't remember too much about it, except for some dramatic scenes.
Aug 31, 2019 11:39 AM
Apr 2017
Guys, get a room already.

Yuya-Noboru said:
Haven't watched nichijou yet but I'm genuinely curious on why you think tone and art style clash badly in asobi asobase.

For me, I'd say xxxholic, but it looked so awful that it'd clash with pretty much any tone whatsoever. I did love it but it would have been so much better with a better well, everything, in the visual art department.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 31, 2019 11:41 AM

Nov 2017
I'd say Yuki Yuuna is a better example of art style meshing badly with the tone than Madoka Magica. In Madoka, the art was always a little 'off', making you think something wasn't quite right from the very beginning, and once things got dark it fit like a glove. Yuki Yuuna looks just like any other series made in the 2010s, which doesn't do much to enhance the tone albeit it doesn't necessarily hurt it either.
Aug 31, 2019 11:45 AM

Jul 2017
Yuya-Noboru said:

oh yeah, I actually agree with the former, the show has the tone of a light-hearted comedy, but the art style (specifically faces) of a horror show. The show was more creepy than actual horror anime lel

Also, I don't see how Made in Abyss was badly contrasting? Apart from the character designs (and maybe some of the creatures) nothing spelled out happy-go-lucky at all
Aug 31, 2019 11:50 AM

Aug 2019
Mythologically said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Unless somebody cites a professional source that explains what a deconstruction is, I can't take your definition seriously. Period.

Mythologically said:
If you disagree with that being the definition of "deconstruction", let's say that that is the definition of the word "ddjkhlbfjksadfjehwd". Whether that is the definition of "deconstruction" or "ddjkhlbfjksadfjehwd" doesn't matter whatsoever.

If you can't stop being stupid, could you at least learn how to read?

Even if he was mistaken There was nothing about the post that is "Mind Bogglingly stupid". Dont go around calling people stupid for trying to discuss anime and stop using anime forums as an outlet to vent out your frustrations on others.
Aug 31, 2019 11:53 AM

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:

Why do you think I'm disagreeing for the sake of it?

HopefulNihilist said:

I'm going to disagree with Higurashi having more contrast in its art style. Aside from the characters' colorful hair and big eyes, the anime has a very muted color scheme, unlike Re: Zero where everything is much brighter.

This is what I meant by disagreeing for the sake of it :D

Higurashi S1 is an anime from 2006. It also had less ambitious production values. You notice how they have been touching up the subsequent seasons with better art style (more well defined drawings and models, brighter and poppy color scheme). Not to mention we are comparing production values between anime from 2006 and 2016 respectively.

So to draw a baseline, what exactly about art style are we discussing here? Era? Colour? Character model/polygon designs? You seem to be approaching from the point of colours here.

HopefulNihilist said:

As for being good or bad in the long run, only time can tell. It wasn't distracting me from the the scenes at hand.

Nevertheless, when you speak of 'art-style' changing to reflect this, what are we considering here again? Colour palette, hue/saturation? I certainly hope you aren't talking about character models/designs since that would immediately imply that the studio is being inconsistent with its production values for that particular season.
KreatorXAug 31, 2019 11:57 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 31, 2019 11:56 AM

Aug 2018
bakkuretsu said:
Mythologically said:

If you can't stop being stupid, could you at least learn how to read?

Even if he was mistaken There was nothing about the post that is "Mind Bogglingly stupid". Dont go around calling people stupid for trying to discuss anime and stop using anime forums as an outlet to vent out your frustrations on others.
@Mythologically

Rip, you just go destroyed bro. Go take anger management classes.
Aug 31, 2019 12:05 PM

Apr 2018
HopefulNihilist said:

HopefulNihilist said:

So basically u said re:zero isn't a deconstruction even tho u don't have a definition of deconstruction u trust?
Aug 31, 2019 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
vhagar8 said:
HopefulNihilist said:

HopefulNihilist said:

So basically u said re:zero isn't a deconstruction even tho u don't have a definition of deconstruction u trust?

Exactly. If I can't find a professional source that explains what a deconstruction is, I can't confirm whether Re: Zero's a deconstruction or not.
Aug 31, 2019 12:33 PM

Apr 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
vhagar8 said:

Exactly. If I can't find a professional source that explains what a deconstruction is, I can't confirm whether Re: Zero's a deconstruction or not.

Then why did u say "re:zero isn't a deconstruction" in one of your first posts? Ur contradicting yourself
Aug 31, 2019 12:38 PM

Jul 2019
Re zero art style is fine I don't understand your complaint.
Just because it tackles some dark themes doesn't mean it has to have a dark art style.
Your sounding like your just trying to hate on the show.

Never explain,
Never retract,
Never apologize
Just get the thing done
And let them howl
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 30 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
17 seconds ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

49 by Zimmu »»
11 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

44 by Gensouori »»
13 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

47 by LoveYourEyes »»
20 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

36 by Lhundrup »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.