No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 30, 2015 3:19 AM

May 2011
Hugop said:
This is stupid.

I could show thousand of animes with a girl sitting on a chair and calling it "tracing". I see 2 completely different pictures while NGNL ones are better.

Copying/referencing a pose is one thing, but when lines overlap perfectly on MULTIPLE pieces, then it's blatant tracing
Aug 11, 2015 10:09 AM
May 2014
guys you need to remember the person who was tracing was the manga illustrator which is not were the story originally comes from no game no life comes is originally a light novel
Apr 16, 2016 1:34 PM
Apr 2016
http://i.imgur.com/Pc3lO.jpg

Seriously All manga artist copy
May 1, 2016 11:43 AM

Jul 2014
hue, get good illustrator no re

Oh and any of you don't have the slightest idea of how this affected/is going to affect his career. Japan takes these matters differently than the SJW horde of this place babbling 'oh he took inspiration(lol) how does that change anything'
He did tracing, there are nicely overlapping pictures to look and see for yourself. Though I don't personally think tracing is a bad thing, -most of pixiv is basically furiously tracing each other's works- seeing a 2-3 threads at 2ch makes the reactions evident.
May 3, 2016 1:33 AM

Aug 2009
KayWin said:

That's not tracing, genius.
May 27, 2016 6:00 AM
Sep 2015
İs it really true?Are there any official explanation?
Jun 5, 2016 5:24 AM

Apr 2013
SweetParade said:
İs it really true?Are there any official explanation?

True or not, it's just a rumour you see on some websites that love ( false included) scandals.
There is no visible impact or news about it on the Japanese side (at least on any official Japanese side) AFAIK. So don't expect any official explanation for something that only a few english speaking peoples care about.
No impact on the work itself, he's still publishing his work like usual as well. No words from him in the postscript either.

They don't seem to care, so you shouldn't care either.
Jun 5, 2016 7:33 AM
Sep 2015
Thank you for the information
Jul 17, 2016 1:43 AM

May 2015
Just employ someone to do the art Its not something to get worked up on unless the story is being plagiarized I don't see anything bad besides that tracing thing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2017 7:42 PM

Aug 2016
Even If tracing it's just few drawings in the LN what is people care is the story not the drawing.
Apr 6, 2017 9:20 PM

Oct 2013
A couple of things:

- As others have mentioned, NGNL is primarily a LN. Pictures, while still somewhat important won't lead to its cancellation. Worse case scenario, they will replace all the images from the novels (which aren't that many).

- While I can't speak specifically to Japanese law, parodies are protected works from copyright infringement in the US, Canada, and other first world countries. As NGNL would likely be protected if it was published here, I would imagine Japan has similar protection based on how their arts are treated similarly and their current political environment.

- Only a few of the images may have a case to begin with. Similarity is impossible to avoid in any work. Borrowing ideas are also common and accepted (imagine if the modern Orc only existed in George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin which btw Tolkien is explicit about borrowing the idea in his creation of orcs in LOTR). Most of these images are similar and not the same, have no case and are trying to sensationalize the issue. There may be one or two where the body is too similar, however, the overall art is different. I still feel this would be a hard sell in court.

- No formal press or process has validated these claims. While it might be hard to imagine for some, but these comparisons can easily be faked. Anyone skilled enough in photoshop can make two similar photos overlap perfectly. Illuminati conspirators have been doing similar things for decades (or maybe I just work for the Illuminati). The credibility of the source is questionable.

- It's costly to sue and I personally, doubt anything will occur... Ultimately, it really all depends on how upset fans are... and it's also worth point out that some of these titles are published by the same company! 1. A company won't sue itself; and 2. It's probable fellow artists helped each other out. Though, I can't attest for all the the titles argued being part of the same publisher (or parent).

Really... Only a big deal if people make it out to be. The outcome of NGNL still depends on whether fans support it or not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: To comment on below.

KayWin said:

Great photo... Though anime is notorious for borrowing ideas, most other mediums do it just as much.

shawnofthedeadzApr 6, 2017 9:30 PM
Jul 9, 2017 9:30 PM

Jan 2017
don't understand the problem here he only copied their position nothing more so I have no idea how can that be considered as stealing others works .like wtf.
Sep 9, 2017 9:35 AM
Aug 2017
I have few things to say:

-> First
SnazzGary said:
... if you can't draw or self-conscious of your art, have someone else do it. Don't publish something blatantly traced...

He is a mangaka(correct me if I wrong) before he wrote NGNL so I think he can draw and self-consious of his art and for the latter statement I will try to explain my opinion latter.

SnazzGary said:
... I'm posting this from an artist's POV.

He is an artist too just like you.

SnazzGary said:
... If you call tracing 'inspiration' then OK. It says at the bottom that it is unsure whether or not he asked permission to trace. I'm an artist, and I would want to know if someone was tracing my work and making money off of it.

I think you and he has same opinion about that, cause both of you an artist.

Btw, he already apologized in the said artist website and paid the said artist.

The information of that is on the last part. Idk if they credible or not.

-> Second
SnazzGary said:
... Again, it just makes me angry that he is gaining popularity and money off of taking someone's work. I don't intend to make the series look bad. As long as the story is good, and he didn't directly steal another story, then it's all good. I'm just stating this as an artist.

Now I will explain my opinion about tracing part. Since my understanding about the word itself is limited, so I search about it and conclude that it was an action that when someone copying other people image(like in this case drawing) by placing a transparent paper over the original and drawing it by following the line you see.
So I will try to explain my opinion about these image that you provide with order from left to right.

The first image we see Miku(?) and Steph, while they both have the same pose, the rest are different, like the position of the hand, the cloth they wear, even their hair. That of course(imho) cannot be said as tracing anymore cause most of the lines is already different. It's like your art teacher draw a stickman with a pose and said "Make a character with this pose". Everyone will of course draw different character, but it will have same pose.

The second one we can see Zell, Fell, Shiro and Sora, it's the same with the first case that while the pose and the background is same, but everything else is different, for the pose my opinion is same like the first one and for the background, that circle thing(idk what it called) is bigger in NGNL image and the structure is also different(as far as I can see).
Even the number of people is different, but it can be done after he finish drawing Fell and Shiro, he can simply add Zell and Sora.

For the third, idk what they compare, cause I don't see the original version from the supposed traced art and NGNL original art. So, I will pass this.

And the last one is the same with the first and second case, that is the pose is same but everthing else different. For example that the face of character that from supposed traced art is facing whatever her hand holding, while Jibril face is facing us.
Nov 20, 2018 4:58 AM
Jan 2018
He was found not guilty
Jan 7, 2019 10:09 AM
Mar 2017
What a pain! when I saw this post I was like "wait what?" then I checked the source. I wouldn't exactly call this piracy. I am not saying 'trace' because I don't know what you will understand. Anyway the main source, I couldn't find it. That source has been removed.
Jan 7, 2019 12:43 PM

Oct 2018
There's only so many poses the body can do. Eventually one pose will look like another...

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Mar 31, 2019 6:02 PM
Sep 2017
L_o_l_i said:
There's only so many poses the body can do. Eventually one pose will look like another...

That's true, but in this case he really was tracing. So it was not a coincidence.

@all the people who say "no big deal"

It would not be a big deal if he was just drawing a similar pose. However tracing the pose is something else...

Imagine someone taking the art of no game no life. Tracing it and then erasing some parts of it. Changing the face and clothing so it is your "own character". However that doesn't change the fact the base of the art was traced right?

My point is,the pose/composition of the art is important and something an artist has to think about/work for in order for it to look good. Tracing it without crediting the OG is disrespecting and taking away the effort of the other artist.

Might be a "generic pose", but there is still effort in it and tracing it steals that effort.

However I am happy that the whole thing is over now. He apologized and credited them (even giving them money).
Mar 31, 2019 7:05 PM

Oct 2013
I remember seeing this thread back in 2014 and simple ignore it because it was a irrelevant discussion imo, and now I came back here 5 years later to say, "nothing came of it" the end.
Mar 31, 2019 9:43 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Why was this dead topic revived?
Apr 1, 2019 6:30 AM

Dec 2015
That's nothing. He is just copying common poses, he isn't actually tracing the characters. I don't think it's really a big deal.
May 31, 2019 2:13 PM

Feb 2013
Dudes, the original Twitter account who "reported" Kamiya Yuu and overlapped the images was SUSPENDED by Twitter itself... I guess Kamiya Yuu wasn't tracing and it's all a hoax...

There are a lot of similarities between the images? Yes. But it seems very likely he either took some inspiration or it's just a big coincidence... Because there are big differences as well. The comparisons on these overlaps are just terribly done, as some child was either trolling or envious of his art.

Even though it's everything telling us that he didn't do that, he still payed an amount of money to some pixiv artists that he supposedly copied as a form of shutting everyone's mouths... Oh, a real case of plagiarism would be a background art in episode 2 of the ANIME, which IS NOT MADE BY KAMIYA YUU, also it was OPENLY ADDRESSED AND APOLOGIZED by the studio in the official website for the anime and they made a new original image for the Blu-ray version.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 31, 2019 7:33 PM

Jan 2010
SnazzGary said:
Not sure if true, but I found this absolutely hilarious. I mean, if you can't draw or self-conscious of your art, have someone else do it. Don't publish something blatantly traced...

Again, I'm not sure if it is true, but take a look at all of these for yourself:

IDK how reliable the source is so don't bash on me about it.

*Edit* Guys, don't bash me about me posting this because I'm 'hatin on NGNL. I'm not. I'm posting this from an artist's POV.

And besides, if I found out one of my favorite author/artists were tracing, I'd be pretty pissed too. I'm not playing favorites here. Especially if they posted this much art and got money for it.

We're surrounded by idiots that need to educate themselves what is tracing and what is not and how it is a crime.

I'm an artist myself and this disgusted me so much.
May 31, 2019 7:34 PM

Jan 2010
KayWin said:

I don't see any tracing evidence. It's just pictures with same poses. Educate yourself before posting please.
May 31, 2019 7:37 PM

Jan 2010
Tebaldi said:
Dudes, the original Twitter account who "reported" Kamiya Yuu and overlapped the images was SUSPENDED by Twitter itself... I guess Kamiya Yuu wasn't tracing and it's all a hoax...

There are a lot of similarities between the images? Yes. But it seems very likely he either took some inspiration or it's just a big coincidence... Because there are big differences as well. The comparisons on these overlaps are just terribly done, as some child was either trolling or envious of his art.

Even though it's everything telling us that he didn't do that, he still payed an amount of money to some pixiv artists that he supposedly copied as a form of shutting everyone's mouths... Oh, a real case of plagiarism would be a background art in episode 2 of the ANIME, which IS NOT MADE BY KAMIYA YUU, also it was OPENLY ADDRESSED AND APOLOGIZED by the studio in the official website for the anime and they made a new original image for the Blu-ray version.

Ah what, so this case already solved by Kamiya shutting the artists he traced from a sum of money? Good thing that he is high in his popularity and got a ton of money to shut everyone's mouth. Good for fans, the series will continue I guess. Once again, money solves everything.
May 31, 2019 7:38 PM

Jan 2010
Milomite said:
That's nothing. He is just copying common poses, he isn't actually tracing the characters. I don't think it's really a big deal.

Did you even see the overlay image smh
Jun 1, 2019 2:54 PM

Dec 2015
Shicchi said:
Milomite said:

Aggressive much?
Jun 1, 2019 11:17 PM

Jan 2010
Milomite said:
Shicchi said:

Aggressive much?
Yes because I'm super triggered by this topic and I aint hiding it any.
Maybe because I'm an artist myself and seeing people brushing off this tracing thing so easily without even knowing what it is really pisses me off lol.
Jun 1, 2019 11:32 PM

Aug 2017
Trace on.
Unleashes a combo of numerous brush strokes of different sizes and colours and calls it 'My work'.

Anyway, Those are all common poses. That is not tracing.

Century_OrionJun 1, 2019 11:47 PM
Jun 3, 2019 1:48 PM

Feb 2013
Shicchi said:
Tebaldi said:

Ah what, so this case already solved by Kamiya shutting the artists he traced from a sum of money? Good thing that he is high in his popularity and got a ton of money to shut everyone's mouth. Good for fans, the series will continue I guess. Once again, money solves everything.

What I meant when I said about he payed the artists is that some people complained about this hoax for a while and, although he proved himself innocent (Twitter wouldn't ban the account if it WASN'T a hoax), many people still complained. So the solution was to do the following: they might be wrong, but I will do what they want anyways. In that way, I see that him is a far better person than these jealous people.

Oh, another thing, I saw the images. They are not tracing. One or two are very similar, but others shared only the poses. The characters are off-model, forced imposed over another to convey the hoax... I understand you don't like people who copy like that, but I am like you, an artist, so I only defend him because this case was already solved and people still talk about it.

Jun 3, 2019 11:15 PM

Jan 2010
Tebaldi said:
Shicchi said:

What I meant when I said about he payed the artists is that some people complained about this hoax for a while and, although he proved himself innocent (Twitter wouldn't ban the account if it WASN'T a hoax), many people still complained. So the solution was to do the following: they might be wrong, but I will do what they want anyways. In that way, I see that him is a far better person than these jealous people.

Oh, another thing, I saw the images. They are not tracing. One or two are very similar, but others shared only the poses. The characters are off-model, forced imposed over another to convey the hoax... I understand you don't like people who copy like that, but I am like you, an artist, so I only defend him because this case was already solved and people still talk about it.

Ah I see. So in the end it's all just a hoax? I might be too angry to pay closer look at the images. I guess this kind of thing happens too huh. So sad u///u
Jun 3, 2019 11:27 PM

Aug 2017
You can view so much 'traced' art that you can no longer tell which is the original.
Jun 4, 2019 3:32 AM

Feb 2013
Shicchi said:
Tebaldi said:

Ah I see. So in the end it's all just a hoax? I might be too angry to pay closer look at the images. I guess this kind of thing happens too huh. So sad u///u

It all seems so. Really sad that it is a type of thing that stills happen.

That's fine, pal. Everyone has their moments like that. The important thing is that to reconsider and rethink when you're calmer. You can come whenever to my profile and chat about other subjects. I will be always open to people even if they don't agree with me. The dialog is the best way to us to know and understand each other! ><

Aug 12, 2019 4:42 AM
Aug 2019
Shicchi said:
Milomite said:

Aggressive much?
Maybe because I'm an artist myself and seeing people brushing off this tracing thing so easily without even knowing what it is really pisses me off lol.

I know this was a while ago, but im putting my two cents in. Art is very well near and dear to my heart but this bothers me. He used similar poses but you can see differences here and there. Now, if he used them as a base, then that's a problem if he didnt credit the artist. HOWEVER, people use references all the time, including things like poses. If he referenced a pose, that should be fine. The human anatomy only has so many ways it can freaking move and adjust itself. You're bound to run into similar poses now and again, especially if you reference. That said, if you dont think someone can reference a da*n pose, then you're pretty much gatekeeping. And gatekeeping is huge problem in the artist community. No one has trademarks to a pose (which would be ridiculous).
Aug 13, 2019 3:03 PM
Isekai Academic

Feb 2015
Sigh. Looking at the pics make it clear that most of the lines overlap. But I really wish copying poses wasn't all it took to cause serious controversy. I worry about the fate of the show now. T_T
Aug 28, 2019 7:59 PM

Jan 2010
AshesToBurn said:
Shicchi said:

I know this was a while ago, but im putting my two cents in. Art is very well near and dear to my heart but this bothers me. He used similar poses but you can see differences here and there. Now, if he used them as a base, then that's a problem if he didnt credit the artist. HOWEVER, people use references all the time, including things like poses. If he referenced a pose, that should be fine. The human anatomy only has so many ways it can freaking move and adjust itself. You're bound to run into similar poses now and again, especially if you reference. That said, if you dont think someone can reference a da*n pose, then you're pretty much gatekeeping. And gatekeeping is huge problem in the artist community. No one has trademarks to a pose (which would be ridiculous).

Obv I'm not against referencing at all. It's obvious tracing that bothers me.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» State of the Light Novel / Manga

ateks - Jul 6, 2022

5 by Azani »»
Apr 12, 1:52 AM

» any news?

monke_guy - Feb 28

11 by monke_guy »»
Mar 1, 12:37 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Chapter 14 Discussion

y2k890 - Mar 27, 2016

2 by Rezete_01 »»
Jan 4, 4:38 PM

» Season 2 for anime?

KillerMammoth - Jul 9, 2014

1 by yssfbrrd »»
Dec 29, 2023 4:22 PM

» No Game No Life Volume 12 Discussion

HaXXspetten - Dec 17, 2023

11 by Masshiroi »»
Dec 23, 2023 12:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.