Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 8, 2019 8:41 PM

Dec 2017
(This post is directed at actual Emilia haters, not people who just prefer Rem or enjoy lighthearted Best Girl arguments. I ain't here to shit on anyone's parade, I've just got a bone to pick with certain strands of thought in the fandom. Also, yes, I get very heated about how fictional characters are treated by their fanbases. If that makes you uncomfortable, bow out now.)

So, I recently finished episode 18, and I just want to say: fuck literally everyone who uses Rem as a cudgel to bludgeon Emilia with. Yes, Rem is amazing and I would die for her, but Emilia is still an equally compelling character who deserves better from this godforsaken fanbase than to be torn to pieces and called a bitch for the unforgivable crime of... being the subject of the protagonist’s affections. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with all of you? Since when it is someone’s fault if somebody else likes them? Do you really how fucking misogynistic it is to blame a women for some guy being into her completely outside of her control?

And while we’re on the subject, using the “I love Emilia” moment as a tool to savage Emilia isn’t just shitting on her, it’s shitting on Rem herself. Do you honestly think Rem wasn’t perfectly aware of where Subaru’s affections were headed all this time? She didn’t pour her heart and soul out to him because she thought it would win him over; hell, the entire goddamn point of her spiel about their imaginary life together is that him choosing her over the person he truly cares about would be a betrayal of every reason she loves him, because he'd be betraying the bravery and hope that made Rem fall for him in the first place. Subaru doesn’t owe her a relationship just because she’s developed feelings for him if his affections lean elsewhere, and she’s okay with that. She confessed to because her love is truly, completely selfless, and she knows she can be the support Subaru needs in his time of crisis because he is worthy of that support. Just as she was worthy of that support when he saved her.

Also consider that Emilia is Rem’s boss, and there has been nothing but kindness and support between the two of them as far as we’ve seen. Do you honestly think Rem would want you to use her to attack someone she cares about? How fucking furious do you think she’d be if she was real and knew about all this? How crushed do you think she’d be if she knew her name was being wielded as a weapon against her will to destroy someone who this entire damn arc has been about saving?

When you attack Emilia for doing nothing but exist and be lusted after by Subaru, you are disrespecting everything Rem’s confession stood for. You’re pursuing a selfish whim, trying to cloak your arrogance in the guise of fighting for someone else’s sake despite doing the exact opposite of what that person would want. In other words, you’re making exactly the same goddamn mistake as Subaru made with Emilia that set him down the path to self-destruction in the first place. Try learning introspection, assholes.
May 8, 2019 8:53 PM

Aug 2018
She's just not as pretty
Is that a good enough reason for you?
May 8, 2019 9:05 PM

Dec 2017
Eclipticurse said:
She's just not as pretty
Hey, like I said, totally cool if you prefer Rem. I just take issue with people attacking Emilia for things that aren't her fault.
May 9, 2019 12:39 AM

May 2013
I just find it amusing that you can want to die for a 2D character xP

But yeah, there's an overwhelming majority that chose to watch the show with their "best grill / waifu" goggles on, when in fact the the season was like a weird-ass social commentary on the average lazy person who is quite "slothful" in their lives but just wishes for things to be in his/her favour.

Lots of fancy arguments float around, the most common being:-

The only legit argument I see is that Emilia didn't have character development. Which is factually true because her turning point really kicks in from

On the other hand, why people fail to see her characterization, is simple : "Best grill/Waifu goggles".

The fanbase/anime community is no-doubt stupid. Not just here but on other places as well (reddit,crunchyroll, facebook, you name it. xD)
KreatorXMay 9, 2019 12:55 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 9, 2019 12:53 AM

Jul 2015
I will always hate this disgusting bitch for eternity
and will always give anything related to this degenerate disgusting crap a 1/10

funny how all tsundere fags are emilia fangays
May 9, 2019 12:54 AM

May 2013
And we have a shining example of the anime community above ^
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 9, 2019 12:54 AM

Feb 2019
This is why world peace can't be implemented.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 10, 2019 5:46 AM

Feb 2018
tragedydesu said:

Emilia isn't a tsundere
Jun 3, 2019 10:41 PM
Mar 2018
Lmao look at all these kids hating over some character just because the MC chooses him, grow the fuck up lol both the girls are good,both have good qualities,some guys are faithful just remember that lol, they wont stop loving someone if anyone else confesses their love for them.
Jun 3, 2019 10:59 PM
May 2018
Didn't see this series, but must be tough when a guy you like is in love with your boss.

Then again, Emilia is, from what I know, some hot half-elf whatever princess with long hair who totally look like main female character, so...

You guys really thought she wouldn't have been chosen?

The only question is, will Rem forever stay alone?
Jun 4, 2019 12:08 AM
Oct 2017
I don't really care for Emilia as of yet because to be blunt, she hasn't had that much screen time and her character hasn't had a chance to develop and I think she has room to possibly shine in future arcs, I like Rem but it wouldn't be very interesting if he returned her affections, at least not right now so early on, in the future near the end of the line as some kind of plot twist but not right now.

Romance isn't really what I care for in Rezero and it isn't what I watch it for, I watch it because it's just so different to almost every other isekai out there, it's original and I hope it stays that way, as for people who genuinely hate Emilia, I don't get it personally, from her point of view, she hasn't seen the future unlike Subaru and it's not like he can reveal his powers without dying either so her attitude towards him at times is natural.

I think people are just genuinely annoyed that he shot down Rem but he fell for Emilia at first sight pretty much so it's not like it was unexpected when he rejected her, just saying, not just a justified reason to hate a character who basically has no control over how somebody feels about her.
Jun 9, 2019 11:15 AM

Dec 2016
tragedydesu said:

You just don't get it, kid
- E.M.T -
Jun 9, 2019 11:26 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
KreatorX said:

he's a horrible person who disrespects other people's tastes, just the other day he said that dying of cancer (everybody and their mom knows how awful cancer is) is less painful than a guy ending up with a tsundere.
Jun 9, 2019 12:20 PM

May 2013
MeisterDM said:
KreatorX said:

he's a horrible person who disrespects other people's tastes, just the other day he said that dying of cancer (everybody and their mom knows how awful cancer is) is less painful than a guy ending up with a tsundere.

Tch tch... I see

Well, can't fix the stupid even if it was a hyperbole. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 13, 2019 4:32 AM
Dec 2011
I just finished re-watching this entire series (got curious about the dub) and I get why Subaru still goes for Emilia now. First time I watched, episode 18 was just brutal! Rem is head over heals for him and it's heartbreaking watching that rejection... but if that entire Rem arc was shorter, you would've remembered Emilia a bit more. Emilia may have gotten into a fight with Subaru around the time Rem was spending a lot of time with him, but the first 1/3 of the series and the final episode show much he likes Emilia.
Rem would probably make the better waifu... but he liked Emilia from the very beginning and if you just re-watch the lap pillow scene near the end of the last episode, you can't help but feel good about her being chosen! Her entire life she's been despised by 99% of the people she meets, Subaru should help curb that loneliness.

...and she's actually really sweet too! The mid-way point of the series almost writes her off and she even turns almost tsundere, but she's a sweetheart for the most part!
Jun 13, 2019 4:41 AM

Jan 2011
I don't really care about Emilia, but Rem is overrated anyway. Oh no, why won't Subaru go for the girl that killed him multiple times? Real fucking thinker there.
Jun 13, 2019 6:46 PM

Dec 2017
ReaperCreeper said:
I don't really care about Emilia, but Rem is overrated anyway. Oh no, why won't Subaru go for the girl that killed him multiple times? Real fucking thinker there.

Rem being over rated wtf ? She's fucking perfect: loyal, not selfish, strong, and she's really in love with subaru. The reason she killed him was out of loyalty to her Masters. Subaru coming out of nowhere when Emilia is fighting to become the new king. Of course you don't take risks and kill him as he would have most likely been a spy/assassin/w.e.
And it's not like she was having pleasure killing him, it was clearly hard for her..

Emilia is kind, but she's so clueless that it hurts.
I still really like both tho
teisseireJun 13, 2019 6:52 PM
Jun 18, 2019 6:05 PM

Feb 2017
Fuck both Lia and Rem!
Especially Rem pftt what are u exactly ? Shinigami from Death Note ?

#teamFelix4ever
Jun 18, 2019 6:13 PM

Sep 2018
I think Emilia gets a lot of unnecessary hate. My favorite character in the series was actually Subaru due to his interesting reactions to many events. His impulsive behavior made the show pretty great.
Jun 19, 2019 7:51 AM
Apr 2016
Emilia is good but Rem is great. Also fighting for a 2d character is pointless. What a shame! Grow up already and show some maturity!
Jun 21, 2019 8:51 AM
Apr 2016
Ram is best waifu..
Jul 8, 2019 5:48 AM

Jan 2017
tragedydesu said:

And I will hate that whore Rem and curse her even after eternity itself collapses. Hope author kills her off for good. Rem is a slimy degenerate piece of shit and I would vote anything related to her as 0/10. Tsundere this, Tsundere that? Emilia isn't even a tsundere lol
But Rem is pretty much like a loli, so it's natural for all lolicons to be Remfags. Rem is trash! Emilia best girl!

^the only good thing this bitch knows is to play twister

Eclipticurse said:
She's just not as pretty

Not as pretty? Oh please! She is infinitely more beautiful than that ugly maid Rem.

AbhayDX said:
Ram is best waifu..

That's not how you spell Emilia.

nina444 said:
Fuck both Lia and Rem!

#teamFelix4ever

Nahh, fuck Felix. Agree about Rem though. But still, Emilia best girl!

teisseire said:

Rem being over rated wtf ? She's fucking perfect: loyal, not selfish, strong, and she's really in love with subaru. The reason she killed him was out of loyalty to her Masters. Subaru coming out of nowhere when Emilia is fighting to become the new king. Of course you don't take risks and kill him as he would have most likely been a spy/assassin/w.e.
And it's not like she was having pleasure killing him, it was clearly hard for her..

No, she is a psychopath. She is selfish, manipulative, weak and ugly. Here's why:-
1. She killed Subaru not because of loyalty, but because of her blood thrist towards the witch cult after they destroyed her childhood. Rem never even considered the fact that maybe- just MAYBE Subaru is innocent. She was so much consumed by revenge that she didn't even give him a chance. Instead of killing Subaru, she could have chosen a 100 different options like talking to Emilia-sama (her master who invited that strange guest) about how he looks/smells suspicious, talking it over with Subaru to at least hear him out instead of going full psycho mode, etc. But no! Just like a psychopath, she took an innocent person's life without batting an eye. Healing his legs just to crush them again? What kind of sick psychopath would do that? If Ram weren't there to finish off Subaru, Rem would have butchered poor Subaru's mind and soul right there by torturing him a thousand times. And what did the author do to redeem her? Yeah, give her a backstory. I am sorry, but I couldn't sympathize with her. Her miserable backstory still doesn't justify her sins and her psychopathic tendency. Emilia had a worse past than her, but she still remained kind and actually thinks rationally.
2. Rem knew Subaru loved Emilia. He told her before. But she still shamelessly proposed to him in order to manipulate his mind. When he answered no, she tried to play dead later in order to make him feel guilty so that he accepts Rem as his mistress.
3. At first, Rem is a psychopath who is disgusted by Subaru and kills him multiple times. But after 3-4 episodes, she is head over heels over him? That's just forced romance. She is just infatuated with Subaru nothing else.

As for Emilia, she was never clueless. Remember who consoled Subaru when Rem traumatized him? Subaru was trying to hide all his misery by putting up a fake smile and no one noticed (not even Rem), but Emilia saw through that facade. At that time, she showered him with love without asking anything in return. During that moment, Subaru was head over heels for her and no side chick was gonna change that later.

troynatural1 said:
Emilia is good but Rem is great. Also fighting for a 2d character is pointless. What a shame! Grow up already and show some maturity!

Emilia is not just good, she is the best. Better than Rem in fact.

Pro5_0nr said:
it's heartbreaking watching that rejection...

Nah, I was really glad when he rejected Rem. I watched the series while it was airing and I hated Rem very much.

Pro5_0nr said:
Rem would probably make the better waifu...

That's where you are wrong, kiddo.
Emilia is a far better waifu than Rem could ever be.
swirlydragonJul 8, 2019 6:22 AM

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jul 8, 2019 7:36 AM

Dec 2017
swirlydragon said:
tragedydesu said:

And I will hate that whore Rem and curse her even after eternity itself collapses. Hope author kills her off for good. Rem is a slimy degenerate piece of shit and I would vote anything related to her as 0/10. Tsundere this, Tsundere that? Emilia isn't even a tsundere lol
But Rem is pretty much like a loli, so it's natural for all lolicons to be Remfags. Rem is trash! Emilia best girl!

^the only good thing this bitch knows is to play twister

Eclipticurse said:
She's just not as pretty

Not as pretty? Oh please! She is infinitely more beautiful than that ugly maid Rem.

AbhayDX said:
Ram is best waifu..

That's not how you spell Emilia.

nina444 said:
Fuck both Lia and Rem!

#teamFelix4ever

Nahh, fuck Felix. Agree about Rem though. But still, Emilia best girl!

teisseire said:

No, she is a psychopath. She is selfish, manipulative, weak and ugly. Here's why:-
1. She killed Subaru not because of loyalty, but because of her blood thrist towards the witch cult after they destroyed her childhood. Rem never even considered the fact that maybe- just MAYBE Subaru is innocent. She was so much consumed by revenge that she didn't even give him a chance. Instead of killing Subaru, she could have chosen a 100 different options like talking to Emilia-sama (her master who invited that strange guest) about how he looks/smells suspicious, talking it over with Subaru to at least hear him out instead of going full psycho mode, etc. But no! Just like a psychopath, she took an innocent person's life without batting an eye. Healing his legs just to crush them again? What kind of sick psychopath would do that? If Ram weren't there to finish off Subaru, Rem would have butchered poor Subaru's mind and soul right there by torturing him a thousand times. And what did the author do to redeem her? Yeah, give her a backstory. I am sorry, but I couldn't sympathize with her. Her miserable backstory still doesn't justify her sins and her psychopathic tendency. Emilia had a worse past than her, but she still remained kind and actually thinks rationally.
2. Rem knew Subaru loved Emilia. He told her before. But she still shamelessly proposed to him in order to manipulate his mind. When he answered no, she tried to play dead later in order to make him feel guilty so that he accepts Rem as his mistress.
3. At first, Rem is a psychopath who is disgusted by Subaru and kills him multiple times. But after 3-4 episodes, she is head over heels over him? That's just forced romance. She is just infatuated with Subaru nothing else.

As for Emilia, she was never clueless. Remember who consoled Subaru when Rem traumatized him? Subaru was trying to hide all his misery by putting up a fake smile and no one noticed (not even Rem), but Emilia saw through that facade. At that time, she showered him with love without asking anything in return. During that moment, Subaru was head over heels for her and no side chick was gonna change that later.

troynatural1 said:

Emilia is not just good, she is the best. Better than Rem in fact.

Pro5_0nr said:
it's heartbreaking watching that rejection...

Nah, I was really glad when he rejected Rem. I watched the series while it was airing and I hated Rem very much.

Pro5_0nr said:
Rem would probably make the better waifu...

That's where you are wrong, kiddo.
Emilia is a far better waifu than Rem could ever be.

Aaaaaand you're making the exact same mistake as the overzealous Rem fanboys, just in the opposite direction. FFS, the point of this thread wasn't so say "Emilia rocks, Rem can go die!" It was to say "Both of these characters are worthy of respect and using one as a tool to bludgeon the other is both wrong and a disservice to the message of the show." Take thy hatred elsewhere, please.

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

32 by KuyaC »»
Yesterday, 8:20 AM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.