Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2019 9:05 PM

Oct 2012
Watching this in the middle of the night wasn't a good idea. Isabella is scary af
Jan 9, 2019 9:08 PM

Aug 2011
Great first episode, especially great OP. I'm hoping the show will have more horror, struggle and despair in the future.
Jan 9, 2019 9:21 PM

Jun 2013
Kinda mixed feelings about this ep tbh.

I've read the manga so I can't exactly be surprised by what happens (not that this ep's reveal was a shocker in the first place), but I absolutely love Emma and Norman's expressive faces during and after the reveal. Like, there's shock, and then there's reality-tripping-face-flat-in-flames-seven-times-over shock. Absolutely heart-wrenching fear animated on-screen today. I can't get over it. <33

Still, while some of the directing was pretty awesome (nonchalant monster: "can't I at least have a fingertip?" juxtaposed w/ Emma & Norman's beyond-horrified faces and splashing noises, ooooooo if only there wasn't also a blatant info-dump line but that was in the manga so :/ ), not nearly all of it was (eerie music while the camera zooms in on the orphans' neck numbers, yeah very subtle; can we get a replacement order of cheery jams? or music box tunes, that'd be more creepy than the actual eerie ost :D).

There was also a lot of cut inner dialogue that led to scenes getting altered or combined. Not that I'm against anime adaptations changing the source material to better fit the medium, but inner dialogue can be quite important in mind-game series like this one.

Also rather pissed about how blatant they made the foreshadowing of a certain character twist (hasn't happened yet so I'll try not to spoil any deets), foreshadowing that was completely visually unnoticeable in the corresponding manga chap (crap, uhhh, I swear I'm not one of those manga-preachers lol blatant foreshadowing of all kinds pisses me off). Like, come on, writing 101; it ain't subtle anymore if you include out-of-nowhere scenes for several uninterrupted seconds at a time where someone just happens to be censored for the public eye.

*long sighhhhhh* whatever, I'll take what cool scenes I can get, I guess.
ThymeCatcherJan 9, 2019 9:31 PM
Jan 9, 2019 9:22 PM

May 2015
Definitely the best 1st episode I've seen this season. It's a Shounen Jump series, but it felt like a horror.

Jan 9, 2019 9:37 PM

Aug 2016
this first episode made me feel like a kid watching its first shounen anime for first time. I holy enjoyed every damn second of it. I even enjoyed the op I previously criticized. The best moment was Conny asking for that song Isabella was singing and the mangareaders know why.I still remember reading first chapter more than 2 years ago and and telling myself "oh boy, this is gonna get so damn overhyped when the first ep gets adapted in the future". Not even a prediction. I was just stating the obvious. But well, lets see if they can keep the quality in the upcoming episodes. So far, satisfied with it. And mama did nothing wrong
:v
Jan 9, 2019 10:09 PM
Dec 2014
This adaptation was really good imo, but I just wish that they slowed down the pacing because this felt waaay too rushed. Didn't really care about the op and ed, but the ost complemented beautifully with the gorgeous animation, which looked exactly like the manga.

This is kinda out of nowhere, but nobody seemed to be talking about how Conny's bunny just teleport to the dining hall right after Conny left lol. Did anybody notice that?
Jan 9, 2019 10:14 PM

Jul 2015
I'm very satisfied with this first episode, it was adapte very well. I am happy that they didn't censored the Conny's part like I was thinking. The last part with mama scene caught me out off guard, great.

Also, I was a little scared since I thought the art from the manga was difficult to adapt, It's great that they manintain the exact same artstyle.

THe opening is pretty good by the way.
Jan 9, 2019 10:16 PM

Sep 2018
Really nice episode
Has a lot of potential....lets hope it only gets better.
Mehguman said:

This is kinda out of nowhere, but nobody seemed to be talking about how Conny's bunny just teleport to the dining hall right after Conny left lol. Did anybody notice that?

Lol I was thinking the same thing XD
Jan 9, 2019 10:48 PM

Jul 2015
Another over hyped show, cant understand why people rate some "meh" anime as 8 or 9...
don't get me wrong it was good and kind of interesting but at the same time boring and predictable.
Jan 9, 2019 10:51 PM

Oct 2008
wow! just wow!
so this is what everyone is saying the possible next big thriller thing!?!?
OP performed by UVERworld was perfectly glorious! but ED was kinda like Touyo Ghoulish cuz of their perfomance lately!
DAMN! this might be the most intensly thrilling show of Winter 2019 season!
let's see how one of the few who's in the weekly shounen jump performs especially by CloverWorks!...
5/5.

Jan 9, 2019 10:52 PM

Jun 2015
CapedBaldy-sama said:
Really nice episode
Mehguman said:

it didn't teleport she just left it in the hall! she was holding it in goodbye scene but after that in outside scene she didn't have it!
Jan 9, 2019 10:58 PM

Jun 2015
John_Max said:
Another over hyped show, cant understand why people rate some "meh" anime as 8 or 9...
don't get me wrong it was good and kind of interesting but at the same time boring and predictable.

ppl have different taste i don't think the first episode was "meh" its was really decent for 1st ep(about predictability it meant to be predictable i expected any one with 50+ iq to find out that something is wrong with that place!cuz thas just kickstarter of the story its the same with monster anime/manga that everyone knows who the killer is) ! and we got the sources material and ppl know the source material!!. when source material is great and ppl see first episode is good too ofc they give it a high scores!
vipergodJan 9, 2019 11:07 PM
Jan 9, 2019 11:04 PM
Dec 2014
vipergod said:
CapedBaldy-sama said:
Really nice episode

it didn't teleport she just left it in the hall! she was holding it in goodbye scene but after that in outside scene she didn't have it!

So right before Conny went outside, she quickly went to the dining hall, stealth style, and left her favorite bunny on the dining table, then in a split second she returned back to mama and went outside the door? damn Conny! How did you do that?
Jan 9, 2019 11:08 PM
Apr 2012
Mehguman said:
vipergod said:

So right before Conny went outside, she quickly went to the dining hall, stealth style, and left her favorite bunny on the dining table, then in a split second she returned back to mama and went outside the door? damn Conny! How did you do that?

It will be explained later on :D Don't worry.
Jan 9, 2019 11:10 PM

Oct 2017
Episode 1 is already better than the manga. The directing, character design and acting, and the overall look of the show are really good. Only not so good part is the background art which is mediocre at best (I hate how the grass looks, very jarring).
Most of the time, I'm not really a big fan of fast paced story. But I think in this case, the really fast moving plot in one episode works really well. The directing also makes it a pleasant watch, not perfect but good enough. FINALLY A GOOD A-1 PICTURES SHOW SINCE YEARS.

But, the thing is, I'm gonna drop this soon enough. In a mystery setting, if I already knew what's going to happen, I tend to enjoy it less than it should be. I'm already far in the manga story, every plot development as well as twists are as clear as day. It's a shame really.
Jan 9, 2019 11:12 PM

Jun 2015
Mehguman said:
vipergod said:

kids were standing near the dorm stairs ! maybe the hall is the their way to get out? "|
Jan 9, 2019 11:13 PM
Dec 2014
Little_Nai said:
Mehguman said:

It will be explained later on :D Don't worry.

they better explain it! or else this show gets a 0/10 in my book.
Jan 9, 2019 11:14 PM

Apr 2018
Mehguman said:

I think it was a mistake from the studio, in the manga, when she said goodbye to her siblings, she wasn't holding her bunny.
Jan 9, 2019 11:19 PM
Dec 2014
Yeah, hopefully they fix it on bluray lol
Jan 9, 2019 11:31 PM

Jan 2014
This will be amazing.

5/5
Jan 9, 2019 11:40 PM

Dec 2015
I've not read the manga and went into this blind after hearing lots of people talk about it.

Awesome first episode! I am excited about this anime adaptation.
Jan 9, 2019 11:46 PM

Nov 2018
That first episode was amazing, it blew my expectations out of the water, great direction that so effectively evokes a tight thick tension in your chest, I genuinely felt like I was suffocating during some really tense moments - that's how effective it was, the animation is really good as well apart from some cg parts that kinda broke some immersion and the sound dssign is really good too.
Jan 10, 2019 12:23 AM

Dec 2013
The pacing is kind of boterhing me, but so far so good.
Jan 10, 2019 12:32 AM
Oct 2017
karlstein12 said:
Bruh that was brutal. Almost jumped off of my chair as I saw Conny laying there lifeless, same with Isabella with a hold of the doll at the end. Intriguing start, if this carries the horror element throughout, it'll be fantastic!
Beautiful visuals too. Also very good OP.

It was pretty shocking when I picked up the manga. It's still shocking now.
Jan 10, 2019 12:48 AM

Sep 2018
vipergod said:

I remember she had it in her hand while leaving from the building then it appeared on the dining table...?
Jan 10, 2019 12:56 AM

Feb 2018
Finally a1 pictures adapted yakusoku neverland and its like cool than manga version.
Jan 10, 2019 1:30 AM

Feb 2013
Been imagining seeing this animated since the 1st chapter and the adaptation didn't disappoint. Great ost, animation, art style and atmosphere. The manga may have done the monster revealing better because of the art, but the anime handled the tension perfectly.

Norman's the best character btw
Jan 10, 2019 1:51 AM

May 2018
OK, Peter Pan Syndrome The Anime but why so much praise?
Is this getting better later?
Jan 10, 2019 2:13 AM
Nov 2016
That was a very good start. I was kind of apprehensive about this adaptation because I'm a fan of the manga snf and the way the mangaka utilizes jumpscares isn't something that translates well over into anime but they did a good job with the atmosphere and music and the last scene with that mama jumpscare was really well done.

I don't know how many non-manga readers will watch this and be shocked by the twist the way I was when I read the manga but if there are any people like that, they'll be the people who will enjoy this series the most.
Jan 10, 2019 2:34 AM

Jul 2015
vipergod said:
John_Max said:

ppl have different taste i don't think the first episode was "meh" its was really decent for 1st ep(about predictability it meant to be predictable i expected any one with 50+ iq to find out that something is wrong with that place!cuz thas just kickstarter of the story its the same with monster anime/manga that everyone knows who the killer is) ! and we got the sources material and ppl know the source material!!. when source material is great and ppl see first episode is good too ofc they give it a high scores!

You're right my dude, it was good and i might have gone a little overboard but the show just brought back memories of another over hyped anime which is called "Made in abyss", similar art, story,... and the same undeserved praise.

Also by "boring and predictable" i didn't meant the stuff that was shown near the end of episode, i was talking about the whole route that show have taken, character dynamics and stuff, its been done by a lot of other shows (a lot better) but this lucky ba$tard gonna get praised.
Jan 10, 2019 2:36 AM
Oct 2018
Not a fan of the pacing and the animation seems really rough. Still cool to see this great Manga in motion.
Jan 10, 2019 2:37 AM
Oct 2018
JudoJD said:
Pretty disappointing tbh
All that hype yet you can tell what's going to happen from a mile away

For the people who've read The promised neverland....do the plot twists get any better onwards
I didn't not read the manga for one of the most predictable first episode turn of events I've seen in a while..."don't even read the synopsis. IT WILL SHOCK YOU REEE" sigh 😅

Not sure who is directing the Anime but the Anime makes everything way to obvious. The Manga is much more subtle. At least it was in the beginning.
Jan 10, 2019 2:50 AM

Aug 2017
A bit predictable but it was a very good start!

Besides that Conny's dead face is creepy, the last scene with Isabella is disturbing.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 10, 2019 3:15 AM

Aug 2013
UVERworld redeemed itself with a good opening because ODD FUTURE from MHA 3 was completely shit. Anyways...that just happened...literally all I can say after that first ep. Still trying to figure out what the fuck I just watched.
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 10, 2019 3:21 AM

Oct 2017
The dark twist was obvious and well foreshadowed but the exact nature of it and the great execution made it extremely thrilling.
It's going to be painful waiting a week for every new episode, leaving this to binge later would have been the smart choice.
Jan 10, 2019 3:23 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was a gripping episode!

Excellent direction and the tense music really set up the twist there brilliantly! It was predictable nevertheless but it was intentional with the sudden changes in the animation at the start of the episode, so a really good way to keep us engaged into the story.
Starting off, we got to see the playful and loving Emma and the other characters having a game of catch. It was a nice watch but the little talk regarding the leave of some of the kids really caught my attention. Poor Conny, she really didn’t deserve to get butchered like that but it was honestly very oblivious so not that much of a shock. What shocked me more though was that Isabelle was under the influence of what seemingly resembled human-devouring monsters. Really curious to know more about what the monsters meant when they referred to high-level beings(or so something along those lines) and such. Emma and Norman eavesdropping on this conversation seemed to have an oddest and obviously so, really curious to see how these two geniuses along with Ray(although something about Ray screams suspicious) will manage to run away from Isabelle’s reign and the farm. Speaking of Ray, like I was saying earlier, something about him tells me that he knows what this farm exactly is about and what dangers really lie outside and whatnot, so I’d love to see more of him next episode. Got to say though, that test they were having seemed really ominous to me for some odd reason, I was expecting those who fail and get low marks would be sent to death right away but I’m glad it isn’t quite like that. I’m guessing these kind of tests are conducted to classify them as good or bad loot or something of the sort. I like where this story is heading into and definitely I’m looking forward to more!

Op visuals though, just adding this bit, was absolutely gorgeous especially at the start. UVERWORLD returns and honestly the music isn’t as good as I’d hoped but I’m totally fine with it even then. ED theme was fine too. As a whole, the animation was really good for this episode and the character designs were interesting. Sound Department, on the other hand, flourished this episode and the accompanying role involving the Music was brilliant!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 10, 2019 3:24 AM
Mar 2016
Probably one of the best first episode of the season, really effective and straightforward. Didn't read the manga, but this seems really promising and full of plot twists
Jan 10, 2019 3:42 AM

Sep 2017
Never read the manga, never heard of this show so that was a total discovery for me, and I'm not disappointed !

Tbh I was expecting this show to turn dark (cute and happy children ? Sure, it will be a great, nice and funny story just like Puella Madoka and Made in Abyss) but not that early

Anyways, I'm already hooked to the plot and I'm very curious about the outside world ! I can't wait for the next episode :]

+ really nice facial animation at the end, it fits perfectly with the show !
Jan 10, 2019 3:46 AM

Nov 2013
my heart hurts omfg
Jan 10, 2019 4:21 AM
Jul 2018
Twist was obvious, the characters have mushed up retard faces, and the gaps between the bars on the gate look wide enough for the children to slip through. None-the-less, seems like a decent series compared to the other trash floating around.
Jan 10, 2019 4:57 AM

Mar 2013
At least the obvious dark 'twist' is over with, so now the story and characters can get going properly. It has some chance of being interesting I think, maybe heartwrenching too. Even seeing Conny in that state made me feel bad despite the fact that we literally just saw her for a few minutes. Small children don't deserve shit like this, it's horrible.
Jan 10, 2019 5:11 AM

May 2017
i think this is happen when alien come to the earth to find food (human) to eat XD
Jan 10, 2019 5:43 AM

Apr 2016
Its an epic anime , Masterpiece from start
BRAWLERS
Jan 10, 2019 5:52 AM

May 2012
Great episode. One of the best in this season

Conny death was so sad

Jan 10, 2019 6:17 AM
Jan 2018
This is what I have been waiting for since they informed me. Making an anime adaptation for The Promised Neverland

Overall, it is extraordinary, but for the setting like a house with conditions in it or the wall between the farm and the outside world there are still striking differences in contrast to the characters.

As for the voice of the voice actors it is suitable
  Maybe that doesn't match the expectations of Norman's voice that I hope is deeper and heavier

Can't wait for the next episode
Jan 10, 2019 6:18 AM

Jan 2013
Really good directing I dig it. The character designs are clean too.

Felt bad for the little girl that got killed, RIP :(

Mom looks like a psycho.

Also those monsters remind me of the MC from Ancient Mage's Bride
Jan 10, 2019 6:23 AM

Aug 2015
the atmosphere turned dark so abruptly... i love it! can't wait to figure out what's gonna happen in the future
Jan 10, 2019 6:45 AM
Mar 2017
I have nothing to complain about, the first episode was spectacular, I felt the same way when I read the manga for the first time, that feeling of false peace, that feeling that something bad was going to happen at any moment and the unexpected twist that broke your heart, everything was in this first episode.
I loved the character design, I feel like they tried hard to achieve it, Emma is so adorable, it makes you want to squeeze her cheeks and watch her play her brothers and sister showed her incredible physical ability, Norman looks like that guy who has everything calculated and Ray It's that boy who is too cool and believe he knows everything. As for the rest of the children I can not complain, everyone looked so good even little Conny. Mother Isabella was a great detail, she was one of my favorites, her design and seiyuu achieved an excellent job, especially at the end of the episode.
There were two moments when I got to jump out of my seat, the first was the discovery of Conny's corpse, Wow i was impressed, besides pleased, first because it was shocking, I felt at that moment and i was really scared to see the eyes without life of the little girl who moments ago smiled and looked happy and the second because I thought that Cloverworks would censored this part, but they did not and that is why I am very pleased. And the second part that made me jump out of fright, was when they showed the mother Isabella grabbing Conny's stuffed rabbit with that horrible face, which showed that one of the children saw the transaction with the demons and she is in big troubles.
As for the design of the demons I have nowhere to complain, they were very well done and very well animated and the scene where we see them for the first time achieved that impact that should have.
Soundtrack was to my liking, I can not complain because it fulfilled its purpose, even the sounds emitted by the demons when they appeared gave you chills to hear them, as for the seiyuus I must say they did an excellent job, my favorites were Emma, Norman and mother Isabella, with Ray I think that with the following episodes I will get used to it, but I did not find it a bad choice.
The Op is ok, UVERworld always has good openings, but the ED i loved it, Cö shu Nie became my favorite after the OP of the first season of Tokyo Ghoul: re.
Anyway, this was a first episode that met my expectations and I was not disappointed, there were some details that bothered, but they were so SMALL AND INSIGNIFICANT that I'm not going to complain, because if it were perfect, it would be BORING AND MONOTONE.
Jan 10, 2019 6:56 AM

Sep 2018
Note: i didnt read the manga but maybe i gonna start now :)

I only knew 3 thing before watching this
1. THe manga is good (so i heard)
2.Child protagonist
3. its a Horror mystery with some kind of "monsters" or "demons"

I am not the biggest Fan of Child Protagonist because most of the time they act way overaged or way to dumb,as for this series the Main Characters are 11 where this problem is most present,but for the first episode it was kinda well done all act like kids (dk about ray because when he is still so calm when he knows the secrets about this orphanage it could be a bit problematic),the thrill was good and cant say anything on the Mýstery part yet because we know NOTHING about the demons

Overall it met my expactations and i hope it will stay that way,when not i gonna start reading the manga when i didnt already...
Jan 10, 2019 7:23 AM

Mar 2014
Well I can already guess that there is going to be something dark with this show (as I never read the manga before).

The killing is pretty brutal but interesting, if this was going to be some typical happy comedic story then it would be boring !!!
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.