Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 1, 2018 1:27 AM

Jan 2018
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
freecaio said:
this episode saved the series

Hardly. It's predictable as hell.

Also, ep 12 saved a 24ep series? Anyone still watching, is only doing so because they love Trigger, and want to support them. Also, for animation showcases like episode 11 was.

what i meant is that if we would have gotten an episode like the 11th was, many would have probably dropped the series
Ueno best girL

Apr 1, 2018 1:30 AM

Mar 2018
geotraceur said:
I have a theory.

There's something called "Turner Syndrome". Persons with it have 3 chromosomes (XXX in this case) they're sterile and their second sexual characters aren't developed.

This Could be showed in the series by the fact of they don't know anything about the feelings or the sex stuffs, and with the fact of that they cant become into adults because, how we all saw in the last episode, "adults" just live together to have childs, and between them, with some proofs, just few of them are choosed to be "infected" with the "yellow globules", with this, they probably get infected with the third chromosome, getting them into sterile childs, so, impeding them get into adults, cause they won't do what adults do in that world.

And maybe, just maybe, that 3rd chromose, is the F, how you can see in the op "FXX". That would explain why the name of "FranXX" with clearly that two X's doing reference to the chromosomes

This is a great theory, I'm susprised-sad no one highlighted it :/

About this episode we've got to see that "personality issue" that 002's been building finally unleashed, I never liked her as a character but this episode makes me see her with different eyes; I won't say I like her now but now I understand more her own personality and her reasons to fight. I won't go with theories because I want to see what happens next (that doesn't stop me from thinking about some tho, but won't share them... Not now at least). Looking forward to the next episode.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
LunaApr 1, 2018 2:57 AM
One day I'll be active here, in the mean time I'll keep track of what I watch offline 😅
Apr 1, 2018 1:31 AM

Jan 2015
NamelessWaltz said:
Horrible episode, bunch of nonsense ... Monster? Curse? Didnt they already speak about it in the first episodes? Isnt it the time to reveal what is that thing which makes her a Monster? Why does she look different from other human beings? Still not very impressed with the episode. At some point it just felt like they are trying to enforce some stupid drama that nobody cares about, holy s*it zero two's behaviour even started to annoy me.

P.S I noticed them saying that the Klaxosaurs have never been spotted in the area where they are growing those children, yet in the first episode we see the same scenary with Zero 2 and Klaxosaurs around her ... Ummm wat?

Lol, they've still yet to even explain what the Klaxosaurs are. They can save their origin, if that's a big twist, but how do they function? Do they roam, or mate, or have different groups? How sentient are they? As of right now, they function like enemies in video games, and just pop up.
Apr 1, 2018 1:34 AM

Jan 2015
freecaio said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Hardly. It's predictable as hell.

Also, ep 12 saved a 24ep series? Anyone still watching, is only doing so because they love Trigger, and want to support them. Also, for animation showcases like episode 11 was.

what i meant is that if we would have gotten an episode like the 11th was, many would have probably dropped the series

Well, yeah. It's episode 12. It's either start the plot with the last episode of the first cour of the series, or develop characters we should've developed prior to now.

Either way, it's sad. At least episode 11 had superb animation.
Apr 1, 2018 1:35 AM
Mar 2018
So... Zero Two is now officially an alien-humanoid-dinosaur 'thot' (that kinda sounds like ripped off the Blood Dragon DLC for FarCry 3) and would kill Hiro by banging him after giving him dinosaur-herpes?!?

But I have to say that this episode kinda sparked my interest back to the series, even though it has some serious conveniences for the plot. Like seriously if you talk about stuff your stupid child prodigies shouldn't hear, close the damn door.
I kinda see the end of the series already here and it has probably something to do with "real" love and transforming into a stable hybrid. But as long as these filler-episodes don't get too obnoxious the series probably has me start to finish. Maybe.
Apr 1, 2018 1:38 AM

Sep 2013
It was stated in the earlier episodes quite clearly that the reason Hiro wants to pair up with 02 is to feel a purpose in life, something I assume is due to the 'stamen' nature of things, humans grown to fight.

Now, he clearly has developed an interest for her, thinks of her as a friend and worries about her as well. I'm not sure if Hiro knows if he truly has romantic feelings for her at this point; it certainly does not seem so with all the the beta shit he's pulling off

But I think the relationship between Hiro and 02 is fine by anime standards -- pretty cute
Apr 1, 2018 1:44 AM

Jan 2015
araneathedragoon said:
Epicenter said:
Futoshi's character continues to make me sick with how pathetic he is, I hope he develops or dies. I hate spineless people like that.

I wonder why 02 is considered the one that can save the world, but is only 02. What's up with 01?

Give some time for Futoshi, he will be a good guy. ;)

It's ep12 of 24...how much more time do the writers need?

Hell, why are there this many characters on the team if the writers can't develop them?

There should only be six main characters: Ichigo, Hiro, 02, Goro, Kokoro, and Mitsuru.

Those are the only characters they've done anything at all for, writing wise.
Apr 1, 2018 1:47 AM

Jan 2018
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
araneathedragoon said:

Give some time for Futoshi, he will be a good guy. ;)

It's ep12 of 24...how much more time do the writers need?

Hell, why are there this many characters on the team if the writers can't develop them?

There should only be six main characters: Ichigo, Hiro, 02, Goro, Kokoro, and Mitsuru.

Those are the only characters they've done anything at all for, writing wise.

couldn't agree more
Ueno best girL

Apr 1, 2018 1:49 AM

Jan 2015
cupc said:
It was stated in the earlier episodes quite clearly that the reason Hiro wants to pair up with 02 is to feel a purpose in life, something I assume is due to the 'stamen' nature of things, humans grown to fight.

Now, he clearly has developed an interest for her, thinks of her as a friend and worries about her as well. I'm not sure if Hiro knows if he truly has romantic feelings for her at this point; it certainly does not seem so with all the the beta shit he's pulling off

But I think the relationship between Hiro and 02 is fine by anime standards -- pretty cute

I already addressed that. What I asked is why does he now like her, beyond giving him the ability to pilot? Hiro already realized he was just using her to find a purpose in life. He then decided to he would push to help her as well...but we've gotten nothing on that end. What do they do together? Do they talk? Do they play? Do they read books? Do they cook?

He loves her because the plot demands it.

Also, while most anime romances suck, that doesn't mean this one has to.
Apr 1, 2018 1:56 AM

Jan 2018
cupc said:

i'm worried the series is gonna end up with hiro and 02 making up and it's all good
Ueno best girL

Apr 1, 2018 2:05 AM

Sep 2013
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
Hiro already realized he was just using her to find a purpose in life. He then decided to he would push to help her as well...but we've gotten nothing on that end. What do they do together? Do they talk? Do they play? Do they read books? Do they cook?

I mean he's definitely trying to help by approaching her about her transformation to a monster girl in several episodes now. Is it working? Not really, but I think that's the more interesting plot direction to take here, rather than resolving everything instantly.

With this show already having enough problems with runtime as it is, leaving out mundane things friends typically do together such as playing and reading is probably a good idea
Apr 1, 2018 2:08 AM

Mar 2018
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
cupc said:

I already addressed that. What I asked is why does he now like her, beyond giving him the ability to pilot? Hiro already realized he was just using her to find a purpose in life. He then decided to he would push to help her as well...but we've gotten nothing on that end. What do they do together? Do they talk? Do they play? Do they read books? Do they cook?

They used to eat together and play around a little bit as far as we know, but I think that's all.

Btw, you don't need to have common interests or thoughts to fall in love, there's not an exact formula for it; you can say that Hiro started to feel attracted to 002 at first and that gave him the ability to pilot the FranXX, and then he realizes he wants to see her happy and not suffering as shown in the 6th episode (if I recall), when he was kinda dying.
One day I'll be active here, in the mean time I'll keep track of what I watch offline 😅
Apr 1, 2018 2:12 AM
Jan 2013
Dam son,
That particular commanding officer(CO)....
First one... So they arrived at garden... Pronged to confront the nine... They walk side by side with their CO... Continues to show mild hostility to each team and what the CO do? Well it seems that it's not my job she thought.... The fuck bitch?

Second one... The papa wants to examine 002 for recaliberation? I don't know... She deny this order, so the upper echeleon proceed to subjugate her forcing her undergoes this exam... And what she do? She said "don't give me any more trouble" standing doing nothing, while those faceless guy getting beaten by some demi-human... I was like: bitch? How did you get this job?

Third one... So the children broke the curfew and goes to the garden, well of course, cause nobody supervised them... What the fuck are that CO bitch doing? The one job she got....

The forth one.... I don't know about their procedure, but how the hell they keep leaking a classified information just because they forgot to lock the door... I mean, how the hell ichigo was cassually passing by that control room like are there any restriction at all? What the fuck?

The episode is terrific. But honestly how those unprofessional CO get potrayed trully enrages me....
Apr 1, 2018 2:13 AM
Jun 2017
110cono said:
Question: Will there be a new episode next week as it is a 24 episode season, or is there going to be a break for now?

april 7 will be the new episode
Apr 1, 2018 2:23 AM

Jan 2015
cupc said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
Hiro already realized he was just using her to find a purpose in life. He then decided to he would push to help her as well...but we've gotten nothing on that end. What do they do together? Do they talk? Do they play? Do they read books? Do they cook?

I mean he's definitely trying to help by approaching her about her transformation to a monster girl in several episodes now. Is it working? Not really, but I think that's the more interesting plot direction to take here, rather than resolving everything instantly.

With this show already having enough problems with runtime as it is, leaving out mundane things friends typically do together such as playing and reading is probably a good idea

You can show all that stuff without wasting too much plot time. The writers just don't know how. The beach episode, episode where it spent the whole time showing Hiro was sick and the boys vs girls episode, were literally the biggest wastes of time of the series, because the wasted the entire episode runtime dragging out subplots. Even episodes 10, and 11, did as well. With 10 they could revealed some part of the mystery, but stayed vague, and developed no one. 11 developed Mitsuru and Kokoro, but did nothing with Ikuno and Futoshi, nor did it explore the concept of same-sex piloting.

Back to Hirox02, it would've been more interesting to see her actually enjoy being human, rather than saying she wants to be human. Her goal is to kill a lot of Klaxosaurs, but she's being distracted from her mission because she's enjoying her time with the squad. Then she has to decide if she wants to sacrifice her new bonds with humans to "become human". Itd also ve interesting to see her explain things to the squad, like the nature of Klaxosaurs, and how to best fight them. She's got way more experience fighting them, but all she's shown doing is the opposite of strategy.

The writing is poor. It's obvious to anyone who's read, or watched, good writing. I'm personally reading books on writing fleshed out characters, and this show is doing a lot of what you're not supposed to do.
Makaze_no_MoujuuApr 1, 2018 2:29 AM
Apr 1, 2018 2:26 AM

Jan 2015
GranSaiyaman said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

They used to eat together and play around a little bit as far as we know, but I think that's all.

Btw, you don't need to have common interests or thoughts to fall in love, there's not an exact formula for it; you can say that Hiro started to feel attracted to 002 at first and that gave him the ability to pilot the FranXX, and then he realizes he wants to see her happy and not suffering as shown in the 6th episode (if I recall), when he was kinda dying.

Lol, yes you do. You don't have to be similar people, but you need to have things that bind you together, otherwise the relationship is empty. It's one thing to fall in love, and another to stay in love.
Apr 1, 2018 3:46 AM

Oct 2015
I swear the writers are into NTR
Apr 1, 2018 4:40 AM

Jul 2016
Kaworu like, but not enough, not enough ga— interest to Hiro.

Zero wants to see her original Darling, as had been shown from the flashbacks, the kid Hiro wasn't scared of her, holding hands back then, when she's still on her oni form, red skin. But now the Hiro forgotten about it, he just remembered on this episode. So I guess Zero Two missed the kid Hiro, the one who wasn't scared of her, possibly kid Hiro treated her as a human although she's in that oni form.

I wonder what happened to Hiro that he lost memories about zero two from back then, his kinda promise with mitsuru, and why he became emo compared to his cheerful kid self from back then.
Apr 1, 2018 5:12 AM

Oct 2014
Man I want to drop this piece of shit of a series already but if I drop it I can't shittalk about it.
Apr 1, 2018 5:27 AM
Jun 2017
GREAT EPISODE!!! the meet up of 9's and team 17 finally came. And ohh hiro is just a fodder to zero 2. (what a big statement there) and big revelation why zero 2 is a partner killer and loves to kill klaxxourus so much!!! .

CANT WAIT FOR NEXT EPISODE!!!
Apr 1, 2018 5:39 AM

Jan 2013
Revvie-chan said:
Man I want to drop this piece of shit of a series already but if I drop it I can't shittalk about it.

That's pretty sad.
Apr 1, 2018 5:44 AM
Oct 2016
Revvie-chan said:

Maybe it's time for you to go outside.
Apr 1, 2018 6:02 AM

Jan 2013
To be honest I kinda wanted to know what comes after kissing...

I guess we'll have to wait a couple of episodes more to know >.<
Apr 1, 2018 6:13 AM

Dec 2017
Episode was lit. We seen some good world development, great character development and after few episodes focused on ˝side˝ characters we are back to our main protagonists - Zero Two & Hiro.

Story is becoming more interesting and art is still pretty good. 5/5 ✓

One thing I really didnt get is what some people are saying like ˝This show is shit˝ ˝This episode saved series˝ ˝People are watching just because Trigger˝ or ˝Its pretty predictable˝
If you are one of these you most likely dont know what about is Darling in the FranXX. If you think that this story is really that simplistic then you are not even a real fan of Trigger and if you cant stand 3 episodes of character development for side characters then this show is not made for you. ✓
Apr 1, 2018 7:15 AM
Sep 2017
Great episode, 5/5.
the OST when they fighting Klaxosaur reminds me of AoT OST.
Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 1, 2018 7:33 AM

Dec 2009
ConfusionHaze said:
To be honest I kinda wanted to know what comes after kissing...

I guess we'll have to wait a couple of episodes more to know >.<

Me too, man. I actually put my bets on sex being shown in the anime, something at the level of Yosuga no Sora. They're hinting way too much at it, especially with the childbirth book and the compatibility meter which shows how connected characters are, also Dr. Franxx letting kids experience puberty and discover love, kisses, sex.
I'm gonna be disappointed if it's not at least implied (not taking in account the piloting).

Anyway, really liked this episode, they finally showed what's the matter with 02 and more 02 and Hiro moments which have been lacking since ep6.

After reading all the comments in this thread, I really got a better understanding of the episode. Someone explained the book reference which might be a major part of the story, with a possible Lilith-Adam development in the future. I don't want to see a "02 sacrifices herself to save the world" moment. I'm really rooting for Hiro02 couple. Hope 02 gets the love she needs.

Also, like someone speculated, Papas might have brainwashed 02 by telling her that it's possible to become human by killing her own kind.
It's gonna be a real mindfuck reveal if Klaxos turn out to be former kids, and all the kids eventually become one. That would explain why they attack humans - revenge for lying to them. Though it wouldn't explain "Klaxos appeared after adults started extracting magma". Unless the first Klaxos were failed experiments at making superior humans.

And yeah
That confession scene started great, but ended up hurting as fuck!
I'm really glad we got a full confession from Hiro, I was afraid of a Yuuki Rito shit one. But the writers still made it hurt us deep...
hardrock13Apr 1, 2018 7:37 AM
Apr 1, 2018 7:34 AM

Feb 2018
Hello' guys,

I 'm not english, so I hope I will not hurt your eyes.
I hope you like reading

I have an idea about her recent behaviour.

Currently, we don't know if she recognizes or not Hiro as her "real" darling. But, she's seeing him as an entirely different person.

So, I think :

- She recognizes him since the beginning, physically or by licking it. (episode 1). That's why she calls him "darling" very suddenly. He's the only one she calls this way .. It's not a coincidence.
> She said "I found you, my darling" (ep1) but also "my darling is unique" (ep 3)
> If Hiro was really a fodder (ep 12), she would not have insisted on flying with him in episode 3 anyway.
> Her actions in episode 4 would make no sense.
- We know Hiro has a memory loss... but I think Zero Two wants him to remember his past... and she tries many times :
> She's looking for a book (ep 12)... It's probably the book we can see at the end (flashback) -> "It's a story about a tribe, here they're being referred to as demons/monsters. They lived peacefully in a forest and have big wings on their back. In that forest there is a girl, she has long grey wings on her back. When they turn 16 years old, they are then allowed to leave this forest by flying away with the help of their wings."
> She "teaches" him the meaning of kiss, love, hand in hand (ep1; ep 3; ep 7)
> Her idea about "running away" several times... (ep 3; ep 7...) Etc..

- We know the result : It didn't work. I think she started to think Hiro isn't her real darling... He looks like him physically, has the same taste... But he's not like him for her.

> Why could she think that ?

It's really simple :

> The answer is here : https://i.gyazo.com/6fe8e08097108582ed87d153f7b33f87.png ....
Zero Two doesn't recognize his behaviour, and on the other hand, Hiro can't prove he's her "real darling" because he hasn't currently memories about her in the past.
>She's really sad because her timing is close to be out. Hiro was her hope, but not anymore. He is now a stamen like the others.

Now, we have this situation : https://i.gyazo.com/e35578040f08c8ce9068aa46d9e6f21d.png
Mitsuru's sentence makes perfect sense here -> https://i.gyazo.com/54e7b3e274b8cec95af0c4e9a3054896.png
She sees Hiro like a normal stamen, and she wants him to undergo the same treatment to achieve her dream. And maybe worse as he has survived more than three times.

Now, we come to the famous flashback at the end, which refers also to this part : https://i.gyazo.com/648d56b49463c44b674cd137263edbd5.png . Hiro will remember everything, and then, he will prove he's her "real" darling. "Hope will be reborn" It is possible that he also changes his behavior ... whether he becomes a greater leader, or that his "prodigy" status makes him stronger. We must not forget that he was originally chosen to be a leader.

What happens next?
I think she will understand this time that she can not become human ... It will be sad because it's her darling who will... break her dream.

What is the remaining solution? That Hiro is no longer entirely human.
Apr 1, 2018 7:37 AM
Mar 2018
Sasora said:
This is a huge episode.

Don't know why people are hating on this episode.. I'm assuming this is when shit is going to get real.

And it's so hilarious how everyone is reacting the same way to when she said "You're just fodder". That actually triggered me too LOL.

There's also some huge ?'s. She said at the beginning "Found you" so this assumes she remembers Hiro from the past......... But now she doesn't know it's him? What? And didn't she say he was her first darling. What the fuck? LOL. Yeah that's the issue with the series so far..
She was speaking about the sea/lake
Apr 1, 2018 7:43 AM

Feb 2014
NTR seems to be the theme of this episode. Hiro's confession was brave, but a bit futile in front of Zero Two who is slowly going berserk.

It really reflected well in their Klaxosaur fights too. Zero Two goes a bit crazy and Hiro does his best to prevent that from happening. Now that Strelizia has transformed and Hiro is viewing potentially Zero Two's memories, I feel that next week with be really thrilling.

I just hope that Hiro can come out of this fine, but I have doubts about that now. =/

Great episode overall.
Apr 1, 2018 7:53 AM
Jun 2016
Now it's really straightforward that Hiro is her past "darling". However, i hope he isn't. It would be more interesting if flashback from ep 12 was from 02 memories only and her darling is one of hundred stamens she killed.
Apr 1, 2018 7:57 AM

Aug 2011
GranSaiyaman said:
geotraceur said:
I have a theory.

There's something called "Turner Syndrome". Persons with it have 3 chromosomes (XXX in this case) they're sterile and their second sexual characters aren't developed.

This Could be showed in the series by the fact of they don't know anything about the feelings or the sex stuffs, and with the fact of that they cant become into adults because, how we all saw in the last episode, "adults" just live together to have childs, and between them, with some proofs, just few of them are choosed to be "infected" with the "yellow globules", with this, they probably get infected with the third chromosome, getting them into sterile childs, so, impeding them get into adults, cause they won't do what adults do in that world.

And maybe, just maybe, that 3rd chromose, is the F, how you can see in the op "FXX". That would explain why the name of "FranXX" with clearly that two X's doing reference to the chromosomes

This is a great theory, I'm susprised-sad no one highlighted it :/

About this episode we've got to see that "personality issue" that 002's been building finally unleashed, I never liked her as a character but this episode makes me see her with different eyes; I won't say I like her now but now I understand more her own personality and her reasons to fight. I won't go with theories because I want to see what happens next (that doesn't stop me from thinking about some tho, but won't share them... Not now at least). Looking forward to the next episode.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.

Noboy wanna reply a guy with low numbres of comments :(
Apr 1, 2018 8:17 AM
Aug 2016
Yeah I think Zero Two knew and remember Hiro is the darlibg from back then, there is some hints for that

Like in the beginning ZT states that she only wants to ride with Hiro only, if Hiro is just another fodder like she say he is then ZT would not so fixated on Hiro like that and would be okay to piloting with anyone

Also ZT is trying to find a picture book from the library of plantation 13 house. If the picture book is something from ZT childhood then why ZT trying to find that book from plantation 13 house? unless she knew Hiro probably keep the book

Here's my guess for this entire matter : Young Hiro met ZT in her full red oni form in the past and befriend her but then Hiro got his memory wiped, they met again bit Hiro didn't remember ZT, he then freak out and calling her a monster. This break ZT's heart.
Fast forward few years later ZT has obtain her human form by killing klaxo and finally able to meet her darling like we've seen on episode 1 but now Hiro wasn't afraid of her and accepted her even though she still has her horns. From this on ZT assume that Hiro accepted her because she's in her human form and thus she needs to maintain that form if she wants to be with Hiro, but now she become desperate because she keep showing the signs of become monster no matter how many monster she kills and now realize that there's no stopping the transformation she tried to kill Hiro because she believes that well somehow bring the old Hiro back
Apr 1, 2018 8:28 AM

Jun 2017
A really really good episode..
Finally next episode we will get to see zero two's past..
Apr 1, 2018 8:33 AM
Aug 2015
Even though I ship Zero Two and Hiro, I even question what they see in each other. To anyone that responds to this, of the other 4 ships, which do you think is most realistic for a romantic love?
Apr 1, 2018 8:55 AM
Jul 2015
oh i see, i knew what this anime follows/adapts another story, if u all happen to know about the japanese lore called "The Red and Blue Oni", this anime might follow the plot of that lore, so basically, Zero Two is the Red Ogre who wants to have friends with the humans/become human and the red ogre is friends with the Blue ogre, the Blue ogre here portrays Hiro, then it might follow where Hiro became Blue ogre then he might make Zero Two become true human only to sacrifice himself. either his humanity or his life, this anime might have sad ending.... Hiro will die and Zero Two will live as a human
Nyanchan053Apr 1, 2018 9:11 AM
Apr 1, 2018 9:03 AM
Jul 2015
Tomlora said:

- We know Hiro has a memory loss... but I think Zero Two wants him to remember his past... and she tries many times :
> She's looking for a book (ep 12)... It's probably the book we can see at the end (flashback) -> "It's a story about a tribe, here they're being referred to as demons/monsters. They lived peacefully in a forest and have big wings on their back. In that forest there is a girl, she has long grey wings on her back. When they turn 16 years old, they are then allowed to leave this forest by flying away with the help of their wings."

or what i said in the earlier comment, Zero Two might want to find the picture book about the "Aka-Oni to Ao-Oni/Naita Aka-Oni" or The Red and the Blue Ogre, which is very famous japanese lore and mentioned on quite animes (ReZero,OreMono, etc.)
Nyanchan053Apr 1, 2018 9:12 AM
Apr 1, 2018 9:06 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode, IMO this a real masterpiece 5/5

My hype level is over 9000
Apr 1, 2018 9:36 AM

Oct 2015
Judging by Pixiv, the Japanese are shipping Mitsuru x Kokoro to the max. All I did was search his name and practically every art on the first page had him with Kokoro.

Just thought I'd inform if anybody was curious.
Apr 1, 2018 9:40 AM

Feb 2016
GosuGian said:
That was a fun episode. We got some theory confirmation, some world building, some Zero Two backstory, some fighting, and a love confession by Hiro. Still haven't gotten to the Grand Crevasse but we'll get there eventually. Lets start by talking about the Garden. It seems like potential Franxx pilots come to the Garden and are injected with dosages of yellow blood cells. We don't know if all children in the Darling in the Franxx universe are sent there, but it seems like a large portion of them probably are. The "Nursery Lab 3" that we see on Zorome's and Mitsuru's profiles is actually a research facility within the Garden itself and it seems that certain parasites are brought there for special experimentation. Only members of the group that have been there are Mitsuru, Hiro, and Zero Two. We know that Mitsuru was there for his Elixer Injection, but as for Hiro, we still don't know what makes him special. We can assume that Zero Two may have spent most of her time there as a child because of her klaxosaur blood. It has been confirmed in this episode that the red-skinned child from the intro is Zero Two, in what we can assume to be her "klaxosaur form". I'll talk more about her later. We can see that the kids at the Garden are being given yellow blood cell injections way earlier than what Kokoro seems to think is normal. The worker at the Garden explains that it is because of increased klaxosaur activity, and a need for capable and obedient pilots. This is worrying, because this implies that those young kids are possibly being partnered up, put into Franxx's, and being sent off to die fighting klaxosaurs. Talk about living fast and dying young. Not much else to gather from the Garden itself. Like the name entails, it's a parasite development facility. Some small things to note are that all the plantations seem to be convening at the Grand Crevasse which means we can probably expect a large battle pretty soon. This would explain why they need to churn out more Franxx pilots as well. It's clear at this point that none of the kids become adults, and that many of them may actually turn into klaxosaurs. (More on this later.) The group is still unaware of their mission to the Grand Crevasse. Ape probably isn't telling them, because of the likeliness of many of them dying. It would definitely be sad to see any of them die.

Now we come to one of the biggest questions in the series, what are yellow blood cells? These made up cells have been a question for debate since the beginning of the series and even at episode 12 we still don't know much of anything. This episode gives us a few more clues. At 9:27 we can see the injections that the kids are given are labeled AG-YBC. A possible meaning for this could be antigen-yellow blood cell. I think it's becoming more and more clear that these yellow blood cells are not naturally occurring.They are introduced to the kids at a young age to make them suitable for piloting the Franxx and it's probably because their young bodies are more open to biological change. There are a lot of theories as for what the yellow blood cells could be, but I hypothesize that they are antigens synthesized from klaxosaur blood. An antigen is basically just a foreign substance that causes an immune response inside the body. We can see that when Hiro had the blue growth on his chest he had an increased yellow blood cell count, but a normal amount of white blood cells. (No sign of an antigen or infection) This made me think that when the children are given the yellow blood cell injections they are in a way building up an immunity to the YBC's. Think of it like building an immunity to a venom. It's possible that if the kids don't have a strong enough immunity to YBC's, they are given the Elixer Injection like Mitsuru. If they die during the elixer injection it's ok for the society because that means they wont turn into a klaxosaur or "monster" like Zero Two. I think this what all the adults mean when the refer to the children being infected. They are infected with the yellow blood cell antigen making it possible for them to turn into klaxosaurs. A possible side effect of having the yellow blood cells would be an inability to reach adulthood. It's not out of the question. I also theorize that Ape came to Dr Franxx for help in an attempt to fight against the klaxosaurs. Through some unknown means, Dr Franxx took the blood of the klaxosaurs and synthesized the yellow blood cells from it. These injections were then given to kids so that they could pilot the Franxx. Now this is a stretch, but it seems like the Franxx's are actually former klaxosaurs that were turned into pilotable mechs by Dr. Franxx and others. It's the only reason I could think of as to why the kids need to go through such intensive preparation before piloting the Franxx's. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to connect to the Franxx's in the first place. This show draws many parallels to Evangelion, (especially with their art direction and symbols). In Evangelion the Eva's are former angels with the souls of each pilots mothers within them ( that is why Shinji and Asuka are able to pilot their Eva's). In Darling in the Franxx, the Franxx are former klaxosaurs that are only able to be piloted by people that have a high YBC. This would also explain why Zero Two can pilot the Franxx so well, she has the highest YBC out of any of the pilots. This also explains why when the Franxx's enter their "stampede mode" they look so similar to klaxosaurs. Especially with the X-shaped eyes and toothed mouth. Once we find more out about the YBC's I think it'll unravel most of the mysteries within the story.

I made a theory last episode about how Hiro had his memory wiped as a child. This theory still holds, but it also seems possible that Hiro might not have been the only one. All the kids at the Garden seemed to share the same blank expression as he did after his possible memory wipe. Maybe they perform some type of psychological conditioning to keep them from being rebellious, but it wouldn't explain the loss of memory. Not enough evidence to add to this theory, unlike the YBC theory. We now see the entirety if the Nine, and the group itself is strange. There are three grey-haired girls that look like triplets. I wonder if they could be clones. We still don't know how the children are actually created. The clone theory that has been lingering around in the community still could happen. We know for sure that wherever Naomi was being sent, she would have probably of been killed anyway. I still believe that she's dead, but I'm sure other people still have hope.

Now onto the the star of the episode, Zero Two. I had made a theory about how Zero Two suffers from an attachment disorder and this causes her to be uxoricidal in a comment before, but now I don't know. She could have an anxiety disorder from her excessive nail biting, irritability, and being always on edge but her actions counteract this. Zero Two is a really difficult to deconstruct unlike the other pilots, but I've come to the conclusion that she definitely has a body dysmorphic disorder. She perceives her own body as flawed and thinks about it almost constantly. This has caused her to perceive herself as a monster, which in turn has caused her to have constant emotional distress. This explains why she can't confront herself in a mirror, and why she can't confront Hiro about it. This is just a theory though. Something I found to be a key moment in Zero Two's mental deterioration is when she asks Hiro to kiss her. During the scene we can see that Hiro shows a moment of fear, one that Zero Two picks up on and this causes her to retreat. I believe that it is this fear that is causing all the issues we see by the end of the episode. This hesitation deeply hurts Zero Two. It makes her think that the Hiro she knows now is not the one she knew as a kid. She retaliates later in the episode by calling Hiro fodder. We've seen this type of "tough love" when Ichigo and Zero Two were in the garden. Ichigo doesn't want Hiro to be hurt, but Zero Two disregards his safety altogether. Saying that if he didn't survive, he just didn't amount to much. I feel like Zero Two almost idolizes Hiro in a way. Just like how the other parasites used to idolize him as kids, she kind of sees him as an almost invincible hero. Someone to save her from herself. Makes sense in terms of Zero Two's twisted way of thinking. Something I found interesting was when Zero Two asked Hiro why was he holding her back too. It seems like Zero Two thinks that Ape and Hiro are holding her back from becoming human, but its pretty clear that no matter how many klaxosaurs she kills it'll never make her human. I wonder if that's something that Ape told her would happen if she killed more klaxosaurs. It would definitely make sense since she is possibly the strongest Franxx pilot we've seen. Not much else to mention honestly. One last thing, I found interesting was the fact that Zero Two and Hiro met under a mistletoe. A mistletoe is actually a hemiparasitic plant that takes the nutrients from the host plant. Zero Two sucks the "life" from the partners she meets. Good symbolism for Zero Two.

Some final thoughts as always. Ichigo seems to always want to keep up her brave and bold facade. Hopefully if shit hits the fan she can actually walk the walk. Futoshi is taking his heartbreak with strides, it's admirable. They use the term "saurification" which is really silly, because it's just taking the "saur' part of klaxosaur and adding "ification". I hope this show keeps up its momentum, definitely anime of the year material.

- AG of 'AG-YBC' is antiglobulin; an antibody that combines with and precipitates globulin.
- Zorome's city episode showed how unreliable adults are, so they didn't tell where domes are going to converge.
- My other wondering is Nana and Hachi; do they prevail as good or bad guys for final verdict? Look at Nana, forcing Zero Two use martial arts, dammit!
- Naomi could be thrown away, she could come back as full bloom klaxosaurs to shock our squad, this may be extreme, but Hiro will be exposed by what happened to Naomi and this will drive him mad and very bad.
- My theory is picture book. Zero Two reads picture books and comes to the conclusion; more dead klaxosaurs, more becoming human. Maybe our bastard Hiro tells her about it jokingly and she takes serious.
- I have to say Ichigo is most progressed, matured character in the squad through the episodes. She will shine, she will say 'enough bullshit, all of you!' and will take the full control of her team and will write successful battles. I wonder how would she confront adults when she learns a lot of truths, especially about Hiro?

Epicenter said:

..Why would he apologize to her? The only one he should apologize to is Mitsuru. She should give him an apology for lying.

Futoshi told her love while they were guarding a construction against anytime appear-able enemies, while sitting in a robot. Kokoro's persona is to have good terms with everyone, not want to heart-break, so she gave a promise, because there is a vague coercion there, so the promise is not certain and genuine. Could Futoshi talk like that if his partner was Ikuno, Ichigo or Miku? I think Mitsuru deserved that fist indirectly.

MoonStar9 said:
Judging by Pixiv, the Japanese are shipping Mitsuru x Kokoro to the max. All I did was search his name and practically every art on the first page had him with Kokoro.

Just thought I'd inform if anybody was curious.

Yeah, I'm following Pixiv for Zero Two and Ichigo, but cool and beautiful artworks about them are still not enough. Hope to see more various images.

AeonessApr 1, 2018 9:44 AM
Apr 1, 2018 9:56 AM

Nov 2012
araneathedragoon said:

Epicenter said:

..Why would he apologize to her? The only one he should apologize to is Mitsuru. She should give him an apology for lying.

Futoshi told her love while they were guarding a construction against anytime appear-able enemies, while sitting in a robot. Kokoro's persona is to have good terms with everyone, not want to heart-break, so she gave a promise, because there is a vague coercion there, so the promise is not certain and genuine. Could Futoshi talk like that if his partner was Ikuno, Ichigo or Miku? I think Mitsuru deserved that fist indirectly.

You can't call that coercion, if we're to acknowledge that Kokoro's persona of being on good terms, we have to also acknowledge Futoshi's simp persona in which he would never have harmed her or left her if she denied him. Even in this episode, after she ditched him and never truly apologized, he still treated her well. Why is Kokoro's false persona of not harming others making it okay for her to lie(in which even she acknowledged as a betrayal and her not being a good person), but Futoshi's authentic persona of being a awkward loser who wouldn't hurt a female should be disregarded to the point we're meant to believe she'd felt it was a dangerous situation(which was never displayed)?

Futoshi wouldn't have asked them, because they never would of been nice to him in the way Kokoro was, so now a guy can never ask Kokoro out?

And how did Mitsuru deserve a punch indirectly? I'm starting to think you have the same warped type of mind as Futoshi and many others who believe women can do no wrong. Mitsuru didn't do anything to Futoshi.

It really amazes me, people refuse to acknowlege her betrayal she acknowledges herself, and invent threats to her she never mentions as a reasoning for her actions.
EpicenterApr 1, 2018 10:05 AM
Jaywalker.
Apr 1, 2018 10:47 AM
Jun 2016
GosuGian said:
A possible side effect of having the yellow blood cells would be an inability to reach adulthood.

It's not side effect though. If your theory is right than children's can't become adults because YBC growth is unstoppable and with 10% chance to survive elixir injection... It's quite obvious that with such a low chance you won't reach adulthood.
Apr 1, 2018 10:50 AM
Oct 2017
I think at the end of the series 02 will die and at the ending, she will remember that she Hiro is the person she was looking for and she will utter words like "I have finally found you, darling".
Apr 1, 2018 1:24 PM

Feb 2016
Epicenter said:
araneathedragoon said:

You can't call that coercion, if we're to acknowledge that Kokoro's persona of being on good terms, we have to also acknowledge Futoshi's simp persona in which he would never have harmed her or left her if she denied him. Even in this episode, after she ditched him and never truly apologized, he still treated her well. Why is Kokoro's false persona of not harming others making it okay for her to lie(in which even she acknowledged as a betrayal and her not being a good person), but Futoshi's authentic persona of being a awkward loser who wouldn't hurt a female should be disregarded to the point we're meant to believe she'd felt it was a dangerous situation(which was never displayed)?

Futoshi wouldn't have asked them, because they never would of been nice to him in the way Kokoro was, so now a guy can never ask Kokoro out?

And how did Mitsuru deserve a punch indirectly? I'm starting to think you have the same warped type of mind as Futoshi and many others who believe women can do no wrong. Mitsuru didn't do anything to Futoshi.

It really amazes me, people refuse to acknowlege her betrayal she acknowledges herself, and invent threats to her she never mentions as a reasoning for her actions.

For defense, I am not a closed mind type, and don't need to invent stuff for Kokoro... She is wrong, Futoshi is wrong... my point is why didn't Futoshi explain his feeling for her at an appropriate place and time. Whoever loves, hates, dates, deserves or betrays; I don't mind them. But, my point or reason for Futoshi -Kokoro case doesn't matter, because we are bound and limited with what the series is showing us.

For Mitsuru, again, it is my thought that why messing himself in the middle of battle? That punch delivers for it, other than he doesn't deserve because of Futoshi-Kokoro situation. Still, waiting for Mitsuru-Hiro relationship progressing in a good or bad way.

Also, we don't know Kokoro's exact reason for switching partner, a chance came to her way and she grabbed; better battle performance, because of sympathy for Mitsuru or because of that book from the ruined village or something else...?

My guess still stand; Futoshi will apologize her, also Kokoro will explain her decision to him, as we will learn, eventually they will be friends. Because, soon, the squad will enter a survival route. Since the series is so bumpy, I can't guess how well Futoshi-Ikuno partnership develops.
AeonessApr 1, 2018 1:43 PM
Apr 1, 2018 1:25 PM

May 2017
besides evangelion, now they add elfen lied.
Apr 1, 2018 2:21 PM

Nov 2012
araneathedragoon said:
Epicenter said:

For defense, I am not a closed mind type, and don't need to invent stuff for Kokoro... She is wrong, Futoshi is wrong... my point is why didn't Futoshi explain his feeling for her at an appropriate place and time. Whoever loves, hates, dates, deserves or betrays; I don't mind them. But, my point or reason for Futoshi -Kokoro case doesn't matter, because we are bound and limited with what the series is showing us.

For Mitsuru, again, it is my thought that why messing himself in the middle of battle? That punch delivers for it, other than he doesn't deserve because of Futoshi-Kokoro situation. Still, waiting for Mitsuru-Hiro relationship progressing in a good or bad way.

Also, we don't know Kokoro's exact reason for switching partner, a chance came to her way and she grabbed; better battle performance, because of sympathy for Mitsuru or because of that book from the ruined village or something else...?

My guess still stand; Futoshi will apologize her, also Kokoro will explain her decision to him, as we will learn, eventually they will be friends. Because, soon, the squad will enter a survival route. Since the series is so bumpy, I can't guess how well Futoshi-Ikuno partnership develops.

Well you were inventing things, there was no signs displayed to us that she was coerced in some fear if she said no something bad would happen to them in battle.

I don't see why he'd owe her an apology, and she would not owe him one. Yes the timing and the way he confessed was bad and pathetic, but for sure not warranting an apology towards the person that accepted and then betrayed him. It would be different if she said no, then him apologizing would make sense for his awkward blunder, but after what she did which was way worse she for sure is the one who should be giving out an apology.

They're already friends, he didn't have the stones to unfriend her, he's a doormat, which is why unless something changes I wish he'd just be killed.

Ikuno is a lesbian focused on Ichigo, I doubt Futoshi and Ikuno have a good ending, not together at least. As for Mitsuru, it's not like he messed up in battle on purpose.
Jaywalker.
Apr 1, 2018 2:32 PM
Jul 2014
GosuGian said:

Now onto the the star of the episode, Zero Two. I had made a theory about how Zero Two suffers from an attachment disorder and this causes her to be uxoricidal in a comment before, but now I don't know. She could have an anxiety disorder from her excessive nail biting, irritability, and being always on edge but her actions counteract this. Zero Two is a really difficult to deconstruct unlike the other pilots, but I've come to the conclusion that she definitely has a body dysmorphic disorder. She perceives her own body as flawed and thinks about it almost constantly. This has caused her to perceive herself as a monster, which in turn has caused her to have constant emotional distress. This explains why she can't confront herself in a mirror, and why she can't confront Hiro about it. This is just a theory though. Something I found to be a key moment in Zero Two's mental deterioration is when she asks Hiro to kiss her. During the scene we can see that Hiro shows a moment of fear, one that Zero Two picks up on and this causes her to retreat. I believe that it is this fear that is causing all the issues we see by the end of the episode. This hesitation deeply hurts Zero Two. It makes her think that the Hiro she knows now is not the one she knew as a kid. She retaliates later in the episode by calling Hiro fodder. We've seen this type of "tough love" when Ichigo and Zero Two were in the garden. Ichigo doesn't want Hiro to be hurt, but Zero Two disregards his safety altogether. Saying that if he didn't survive, he just didn't amount to much. I feel like Zero Two almost idolizes Hiro in a way. Just like how the other parasites used to idolize him as kids, she kind of sees him as an almost invincible hero. Someone to save her from herself. Makes sense in terms of Zero Two's twisted way of thinking. Something I found interesting was when Zero Two asked Hiro why was he holding her back too. It seems like Zero Two thinks that Ape and Hiro are holding her back from becoming human, but its pretty clear that no matter how many klaxosaurs she kills it'll never make her human. I wonder if that's something that Ape told her would happen if she killed more klaxosaurs. It would definitely make sense since she is possibly the strongest Franxx pilot we've seen. Not much else to mention honestly. One last thing, I found interesting was the fact that Zero Two and Hiro met under a mistletoe. A mistletoe is actually a hemiparasitic plant that takes the nutrients from the host plant. Zero Two sucks the "life" from the partners she meets. Good symbolism for Zero Two.

Some final thoughts as always. Ichigo seems to always want to keep up her brave and bold facade. Hopefully if shit hits the fan she can actually walk the walk. Futoshi is taking his heartbreak with strides, it's admirable. They use the term "saurification" which is really silly, because it's just taking the "saur' part of klaxosaur and adding "ification". I hope this show keeps up its momentum, definitely anime of the year material.

Great post, (that essay tho!). However, I think it's a bit more simple than that. Like the others, Zero-Two idolizes the memory of hiro, the child that she met. Likely because at that time he was one of the few people to truly befriend her. Something clearly happened between the two, and it's likely that that something has to do with the memory-wipe that Hiro appears to have undergone. So, Zero-Two wants to be "perfect" for that memory of Hiro; wants to become "human" so that she doesn't have to be separated from him.

We'll likely get the answers to all this and more next episode. Personally, I can't wait.
Apr 1, 2018 3:31 PM
Jul 2016

I still support Hiro and Ichigo
Apr 1, 2018 4:03 PM

Jan 2018
Shit so shes in love with some other guy from the past or what? I'm not liking where this is going, this bitch called him fodder. I'm not down with that. Crazy bitch.

S T A T I C

Apr 1, 2018 4:03 PM

Feb 2017
kammie7 said:
Fappa said:

So in short: I haven't watched the episode or had not the slightest idea what they were talking about. Got it.
or I could actually just have an opinion that you don't like.
That may be your opinion on the matter but could it kill you to explain yourself a little more so people don't take it as you're just shitposting lol, why do you think the episode was boring until the end, what was lacking, why don't you like hiro and zero 2 if you're gonna put the time into expressing your opinion you should atleast gives reasons to each negative opinion you had
アニメ幼女見てるのが楽しい
Apr 1, 2018 4:05 PM

Feb 2017
YoungboyNFA said:
Shit so shes in love with some other guy from the past or what? I'm not liking where this is going, this bitch called him fodder. I'm not down with that. Crazy bitch.
Seems like hiro was the "darling" of before and he only until that last part of the episode had forgotten all about her, why else would the show a flashback of zero2 in her full monster form from when she was small, and hiro's mid episode flashback of some girl with her hood up from when he was younger but couldn't remember who they were.
アニメ幼女見てるのが楽しい
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

363 by 143eitasasaki »»
Sep 21, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2018

1501 by Extremo888 »»
Sep 2, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

343 by NB_Links »»
Sep 1, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

70 by Cheer_Leader »»
Aug 22, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

50 by jumbosan »»
Jul 30, 12:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.